PDA

View Full Version : AFL to investigate claims some Western Bulldogs players allegedly backed team to lose

Webby
19-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Uh oh...

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-to-investigate-claims-some-western-bulldogs-players-allegedly-backed-team-to-lose/story-fni5fazt-1227270076759

THE Western Bulldogs are at the centre of an explosive betting scandal in which punters, including some players, allegedly backed the Dogs to lose.

The Herald Sun understands the AFL is investigating claims some Dogs players were involved in a suspicious betting plunge on the Demons-Bulldogs match in Ballarat on 14 March.

Melbourne won by seven points.

It is believed up to ten people, including players, may have taken part in the suspicious betting.

One player in particular will be more seriously scrutinised.

An AFL spokesperson said the league’s policy was not to comment on integrity related matters.

More to come

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 09:18 PM
What the f@#$

Eastdog
19-03-2015, 09:19 PM
That's all we need.

G-Mo77
19-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Oh boy.

The Pie Man
19-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Any idea what potential sanctions would be in play if a player was found guilty? Anything re: integrity....

Oh, and if true...FFS, seriously

G-Mo77
19-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Not sure. Didn't Collingwood hand out their own suspensions? I really don't care what they get suspended for it hurts the integrity of our club and if they were banned for 1/2 or the whole season then fine.

Eastdog
Stupid whoever was involved. Just don't do it.

ledge
That's a very short article considering its the herald sun .. No facts or anything just a quick get the story out there

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Ban for life if a player is caught betting to lose.

divvydan
19-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Any idea what potential sanctions would be in play if a player was found guilty? Anything re: integrity....

Oh, and if true...FFS, seriously

If a player was found guilty of backing their team to lose, then that would be a long, long ban.

G-Mo77
19-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Ban for life if a player is caught betting to lose.

And so it should be.

Flamethrower
19-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Doesn't make sense to me - we were massive underdogs.

Why bet on a preseason practice match?

Why bet on the short priced favourites in a practice match?

Why bet against your team when the only possible outcome is a lifetime suspension, like the Chicago White Sox who deliberately lost the 1919 World Series? Do the players not realize that every bet on AFL football is monitored by the AFL, and the betting agencies keep records of every person who lays a bet.

FrediKanoute
19-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Hate to say it but I agree. Silly thing to do.

Twodogs
19-03-2015, 09:30 PM
No names please guys.

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Heard in the radio that Hunters dad is a professional gambler. Stand to be corrected, but if so isnt looking kosher atm.

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 09:31 PM
The Australian has named the player..

GVGjr
19-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Guys. I have removed two posts. The first one speculated on a players name and the other quoted that post.

Do not speculate on players names without supplying a link from the media. If the papers have avoided naming players then we should follow that lead.

G-Mo77
19-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Guys. I have removed two posts. The first one speculated on a players name and the other quoted that post.

Do not speculate on players names without supplying a link from the media. If the papers have avoided naming players and we should follow that lead.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-player-investigated-over-betting-on-football/story-fnca0u4y-1227270100024

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 09:34 PM
I thought Shocktober was finished. This is stupid as it is devastating if true. As stupid as it is unnecessary. As stupid as it is stupid.

I'd hate to lose a player over this. But if he were a Pakistani cricketer I'd be saying ban for life. So to be fair, if found guilty, ban the player for life.

divvydan
19-03-2015, 09:35 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-player-investigated-over-betting-on-football/story-fnca0u4y-1227270100024

Behind a paywall.

G-Mo77
19-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Behind a paywall.

Oh well, it'll be out there soon enough.

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Apparently self reported? That's something I guess.....

GVGjr
19-03-2015, 09:37 PM

I'm not a subscriber. I'm checking with some other sources.

G-Mo77
19-03-2015, 09:38 PM
THE AFL is embroiled in another controversy with a Western Bulldogs player under investigation for betting on football.

Less than three days after Fremantle announced that their player Ryan Crowley was facing the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal after testing positive on match day last year for a banned substance contained in a painkiller, the league has been made aware of a player breaching the code’s strict anti-gambling rules.

Bulldogs player Lachie Hunter is believed to be the subject of an AFL integrity probe.

The Australian has been told that an AFL-listed player as well another top-up player reported to the Bulldogs they had bet on football.

It is believed the AFL’s integrity unit is investigating one match in particular where Melbourne defeated the Dogs by seven points in a NAB Challenge game last Saturday.

While the integrity team is investigating the matter, the Bulldogs have been requested by the league to defer their own inquiries until an AFL investigation is completed.

The club also notified the chair of its own ethics and integrity sub-committee of the league’s betting probe and the sub-committee has also agreed to defer its probe.

In a statement to The Australian last night a Bulldogs spokesman said: “The players who self reported have co-operated fully in the AFL investigation. The club will make no further comment at this time.”

The investigation by the league began last weekend after Dogs general manager of football operations Graham Lowe informed AFL integrity department chief Brett Clothier of the developments.

The club would not confirm the names of players involved.

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm not a subscriber. I'm checking with some other sources.

Check the link from Twitter to the Australian. They name and show a photo of Lachie Hunter and an unnamed top up player.

The Pie Man
19-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Google the article headline (betting investigation over AFL player) and you can read it.

After reading it, not sure what's stronger - my fury or sadness.

GVGjr
19-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Last chance, if you don't have the link, don't speculate on the name. Two more posts removed until I have had a chance to check or someone provides a link

w3design
19-03-2015, 09:42 PM
One down, nine more....geez

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Last chance, if you don't have the link, don't speculate on the name. Two more posts removed until I have had a chance to check or someone provides a link

GMo put the actual word for word The Australian article on. I confirmed it, hence why I mentioned the player and that they used a file photo.

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Go to Twitter. Search Western Bulldogs. Click on any linking to the Australian article (100 tweets). See the article and photo of the player.

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2015, 09:45 PM
This is a cut and paste of the paywalled article.

THE AFL is embroiled in another controversy with a Western Bulldogs player under investigation for betting on football.
Less than three days after Fremantle announced that their player Ryan Crowley was facing the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal after testing positive on match day last year for a banned substance contained in a painkiller, the league has been made aware of a player breaching the code’s strict anti-gambling rules.

[name removed] Bulldogs player is believed to be the subject of an AFL integrity probe.
The Australian has been told that an AFL-listed player as well another top-up player reported to the Bulldogs they had bet on football.

It is believed the AFL’s integrity unit is investigating one match in particular where Melbourne defeated the Dogs by seven points in a NAB Challenge game last Saturday.
While the integrity team is investigating the matter, the Bulldogs have been requested by the league to defer their own inquiries until an AFL investigation is completed. The club also notified the chair of its own ethics and integrity sub-committee of the league’s betting probe and the sub-committee has also agreed to defer its probe.
In a statement to The Australian last night a Bulldogs spokesman said: “The players who self reported have co-operated fully in the AFL investigation. The club will make no further comment at this time.”
The investigation by the league began last weekend after Dogs general manager of football operations Graham Lowe informed AFL integrity department chief Brett Clothier of the developments.
The club would not confirm the names of players involved.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Big Footy has the article and it's on the Footy Show now

Twodogs
19-03-2015, 09:47 PM
How dumb. I'm speechless at the stupidity.

A lousy pre season game. Of all the mindless. Nothing. Idiots.

GVGjr
19-03-2015, 09:48 PM
GMo put the actual word for word The Australian article on. I confirmed it, hence why I mentioned the player and that they used a file photo.

I just needed a few minutes to check the sources myself. Is that really too much to ask for?

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Big Footy has the article and it's on the Footy Show now

The Australian produced the article. Published it. They named the player. As has social media, other journos and now TV.

G-Mo77
19-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Anyway I'll stay out of it now. Just dumb and goodbye to the player involved.

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I just needed a few minutes to check the sources myself. Is that really too much to ask for?

Deep breath G :)

I was just confirming that GMo had actually posted the article if it wasn't clear. I just confirmed it. No doubt you have you too.

Bad news day now...

w3design
19-03-2015, 09:51 PM
One down nine to go according to Herald Sun. Geez

GVGjr
19-03-2015, 09:55 PM
No need to speculate given a media source has now confirmed the player.

Players can only be educated so far on things like betting on games. Hard to say why players still do it but this won't sit well with many members unless something else comes to light. Melbourne and their supporters get a fair old whack for 'tanking games'. When a Bulldog player or more bets against us it's not a good image to portray especially when we are chasing members and sponsors.

westdog54
How dumb. I'm speechless at the stupidity.

A lousy pre season game. Of all the mindless. Nothing. Idiots.

My immediate reaction was "For ****s sake guys. Really? Really?"

G-Mo77
Last post on this tonight:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-03-19/club-statement

F'scary
19-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Really...don't...need...this...

The Pie Man
19-03-2015, 09:58 PM
One down nine to go according to Herald Sun. Geez

?? What's this about?

1eyedog
19-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Who is it?

Ozza
19-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Self reported......yeah when they realised they'd been caught out I'm sure.

Bloody hell Lachie.

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 09:59 PM
This could cost us 3,000+ members. Money, sponsors, respect, good pr, good will, credibility.

Stupidity beyond words. I'm not sure if I'm upset or emotionally vacant again.

F'scary
19-03-2015, 10:02 PM
This is linked to his not being named in the squad for Saturday's NAB Cup match v. Collingwood.

Remi Moses
19-03-2015, 10:03 PM
I'm furious and that's putting it mildly.
The clubs been through the proverbial wringer since October, and yet some brain dead footballer does this .
:mad::mad:

GVGjr
19-03-2015, 10:05 PM
This could cost us 3,000+ members. Money, sponsors, respect, good pr, good will, credibility.

Stupidity beyond words. I'm not sure if I'm upset or emotionally vacant again.

I hope members and potential members can see past this but some supporters might decide that if the players aren't confident in us winning games why would they join up.

I really feel for the clubs membership team who's task it is to get people who have dropped off over the last few seasons signing up again. It just makes that important task that much harder.

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 10:05 PM
We've got a men's health program which incorporates gambling responsibility. Like drink driving players at teams with TAC sponsorship, this could be bad...

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 10:11 PM
WTF IS GOING ON?????!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

GVGjr
19-03-2015, 10:12 PM
We've got a men's health program which incorporates gambling responsibility. Like drink driving players at teams with TAC sponsorship, this could be bad...

Many players do a lot of good news things in the community like school footy clinics etc.
While not trying to diminish the seriousness of this I also hope we can all look at it more as a poor judgement by a couple of players.

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Bloody groundhog day. Just when I think we've put the offield crap behind us...this comes up. Will this club and its players ever get their shit together.

Doc26
19-03-2015, 10:19 PM
I'm simply stunned and shocked at the stupidity of the said player/s not to mention being extremely disappointed. How much more can you educate them on the absolute no go zones. Wow.

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Many players do a lot of good news things in the community like school footy clinics etc.
While not trying to diminish the seriousness of this I also hope we can all look at it more as a poor judgement by a couple of players.

I agree. Bulldogs people may see things this way. The rest of the world won't. That's the problem.

It allows people an excuse not to join, gives sponsors a chance to walk, gives journos a the ability to pot all aspects of the club. It gives the chance for our haters to cite a ready reason. Proves the Newbold's garbage about our club to be true. It gives media the ability to not just not give us good press, but generate a heap of bad press. It gives Men of the West an excuse to not join the program because we look like we can preach, but not do. It undoes all the work our media and membership people have done.

It's not really about us members. But we can't preach for Hird's head for breaching serious rules and not apply the same on our own. So bad. So stupid. So unnecessary.

1eyedog
19-03-2015, 10:21 PM
At least its not the Bont, T. Boyd or Stringer - touch wood. Imagine that!

ratsmac
19-03-2015, 10:22 PM
This is exactly what we don't need right now. What an idiot

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that the other player, the top up player, that his dad wasn't a bookie once upon a time. Or the media will re-hash every mistake made as far back as they can see.... That's depressing. and The club can not by rules of the game actually get on the front foot....

1eyedog
19-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Mark has been a hardcore gambler all his life.

Max469
19-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Absolute idiots. Shame on them. See you later kiddo. Bringing my club into shame ..p off. We don't need this

Eastdog
19-03-2015, 10:29 PM
At least its not the Bont, T. Boyd or Stringer - touch wood. Imagine that!

That would be catastrophic.

Ozza
19-03-2015, 10:36 PM
If what Damien Barrett has reported is correct - then it's not actually that bad.

The Pie Man
19-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Can't believe I'm watching the Footy Show, but here we are.

FFC listed player using Lachlan's account for the multi - plausible?

F'scary
19-03-2015, 10:39 PM
What is really bugging me is the betting against your own team aspect. That makes it so much more serious on a number of levels than merely backing yourself (your team) to win.

Doc26
19-03-2015, 10:40 PM
If what Damien Barrett has reported is correct - then it's not actually that bad.

Ozza, I don't watch it. From what he said, what makes you feel that ?

1eyedog
19-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Can't believe I'm watching the Footy Show, but here we are.

FFC listed player using Lachlan's account for the multi - plausible?

Effective way to get a good player out of strife.

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 10:44 PM
$10 multi placed by the VFL listed player using Lachie's betting account. Lachie was made aware of this half way through the Melbourne/Bulldogs game and alerted the club straight away.

Apparently.

Also Lachie is currently serving a 4 week leadership group imposed suspension for showing up late to a recovery session after NAB one.

ratsmac
19-03-2015, 10:45 PM
A friend used my account is a likely story. Good luck getting out of this one Lachie. For the clubs sake I hope this is actually true.

1eyedog
19-03-2015, 10:48 PM
A friend used my account is a likely story. Good luck getting out of this one Lachie. For the clubs sake I hope this is actually true.

Needs a scapegoat

bulldogtragic
19-03-2015, 10:53 PM

It needs to be true now. If in a weeks time skilled investigators have gotten differing stories and worked out its a lie, then you add lying to the AFL, the club and to betting on your team to lose. That's instant dismissal stuff. So it needs to be true now.

divvydan
19-03-2015, 10:59 PM
If true, it's usually family member or housemate who would jump onto a computer. Certainly stupid if true, far worse if a lie.

The Pie Man
19-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Effective way to get a good player out of strife.

That's one way of looking at it (a view I'd share TBH)

Ozza
19-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Ozza, I don't watch it. From what he said, what makes you feel that ?

So the story from the boys is that a footscray player has had a $10 multi on Melbourne to win along with several other 'legs' (eg soccer matches) on Lachie's account. Lachie was made aware of it at half time in the game- and reported it to the club.

Whilst I would suspect there's an element of bs in their story- reportedly the footscray player will be going in to the afl with a stat dec tomorrow.

If that all stacks up then I'd say the papers have turned this into a hugely disproportionate story.

Remi Moses
19-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Apparently the VFL listed player is willing to sign a stat dec saying he placed the bet.
It's time young Lachie grew up and realised that rocking up late to recovery and this betting scandal will equate to a potentially short AFL career

Ozza
19-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Good that the leadership group is strong...but must admit my initial reaction to a 4 week penalty for being 15 mins late is heavy handed.

Guess it's the right time of the year to be heavy handed.

Throughandthrough
19-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Sack him.

Ozza
19-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Sack him.

Who? Hunter or the vfl player?

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Surely there is some sort of trail or footprint where the bet was placed? Ie mobile pc etc. Where and when?

until proven otherwise I think lachie is in a lot of trouble.

KT31
19-03-2015, 11:14 PM

At the start and with the headline I thought this was major, I'm not condoning betting or such but if it is a $10 bet and it wasn't Hunter, lets give the kid the benefit of doubt.He is a great asset to our playing future and hopefully he will learn from this.
It's not like he was found passed in a lane way with drugs on him, because you could never come back from that.:rolleyes:
Sometime with the reactions, such as sack him we could be easily mistaken for another overactive forum.

Greystache
19-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Good that the leadership group is strong...but must admit my initial reaction to a 4 week penalty for being 15 mins late is heavy handed.

Guess it's the right time of the year to be heavy handed.

I wouldn't think it's a first offense.

Throughandthrough
19-03-2015, 11:31 PM
How good or promising he is, is irrelevant. How much the bet was for is also irrelevant. I'll relent to an obvious level if he is guilty, he should be sacked. Mainly for being incredibly stupid. These guys are lectured long and hard on what they can and can't do. This is a definite strong no no.

bornadog
19-03-2015, 11:52 PM
So the story from the boys is that a footscray player has had a $10 multi on Melbourne to win along with several other 'legs' (eg soccer matches) on Lachie's account. Lachie was made aware of it at half time in the game- and reported it to the club.

Whilst I would suspect there's an element of bs in their story- reportedly the footscray player will be going in to the afl with a stat dec tomorrow.

If that all stacks up then I'd say the papers have turned this into a hugely disproportionate story.

I hope this is the case and he did report it half way through the match.

On the other hand, WTF is he doing with a betting account at his age. His Bloody father should get a grip and not teach him to bet. Its a bloody sickness gambling and he needs help and we don't need his son to be doing the same.

Remi Moses
20-03-2015, 12:40 AM
The whole saturation gambling coverage is out of control. Massive trap for people and with online and mobile betting it's become an epidemic. Heading to the Valley tommorow night so I shouldn't throw stones

jazzadogs
20-03-2015, 12:43 AM

On the other hand, WTF is he doing with a betting account at his age. His Bloody father should get a grip and not teach him to bet. Its a bloody sickness gambling and he needs help and we don't need his son to be doing the same.

I'm not sure if you're surprised, or just against betting in young males overall, but I would not be surprised if over 50% of men aged 18-25 had a betting account online.

Not convinced by the VFL player's story, it only makes sense to me if:
- he lives with Lachie and accidentally used his account on the communal laptop/iPad, OR
- Lachie had borrowed the player's phone to place a bet on the horses, and remained logged in. VFL player then placed a bet, before realising it was still logged in as Lachie and telling him immediately (is a Footscray listed player allowed to bet on Western Bulldogs matches?)

Topdog
20-03-2015, 12:50 AM

He isn't 13 years old

SonofScray
20-03-2015, 01:12 AM

He loves the punt. Twitter bio describes his job as "form analyst"

always right
20-03-2015, 01:34 AM
Not a great look. If proven he's in some strife. Silly boy,

Happy Days
20-03-2015, 01:43 AM

I'm his age and I have a betting account, your point? He's a grown man.

This is beyond retarded of him to do, but come on man. This is not the take away here.

Throughandthrough
20-03-2015, 07:32 AM
The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree

The Underdog
20-03-2015, 07:55 AM

Son of professional gambler in gambling controversy non-shock

bornadog
20-03-2015, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure if you're surprised, or just against betting in young males overall, but I would not be surprised if over 50% of men aged 18-25 had a betting account online.

He isn't 13 years old

He loves the punt. Twitter bio describes his job as "form analyst"

I'm his age and I have a betting account, your point? He's a grown man.

This is beyond retarded of him to do, but come on man. This is not the take away here.

Ok sorry, I should have explained myself better, I was angry when writing. I have nothing against betting and his age group or any legal age group. What I was pissed off about is his father is a professional gambler and surprise surprise so is his son.

Surely he taught him something about life and the responsibility he has in being a professional Footballer.

Throughandthrough
20-03-2015, 09:38 AM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-20/oliver-banned-for-betting-on-rival-horse/4381346

bornadog
20-03-2015, 09:40 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-20/oliver-banned-for-betting-on-rival-horse/4381346

Heath Shaw in 2011:

Shaw received an eight-week ban (14 with six suspended) in 2011 for placing a bet.

Jeanette54
20-03-2015, 10:34 AM
I guess this is the sort of thing that happens to a generation who have grown up without consequences to bad/stupid behaviour.

These kids are in an incredibly privileged position, and so many people around them have worked so hard to make sure they have the best possible opportunity in in their football life. The coaches, support staff and club officials, not to mention the supporters and sponsors, must be gutted by the sheer stupidity and self absorption of this action.

This is way beyond the individual/s concerned. It is a black stain on the club.

LostDoggy
20-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Lets wait for the full details to come out and then this young man who has made a mistake will receive his rightful punishment.
This will all be forgotten about before long.

I'm not sure about his mate doing it but it's hardly criminal, 10$ on a NAB cup game doesn't show a lot of malicious intent just serious stupidity.

Bulldog Joe
20-03-2015, 11:25 AM
I really can't believe the vitriol I have read about this.

Lachie Hunter is a young 20 yo who has made an error.

I suggest any among us who did not make any errors in our adolescent/early adult years might now find some time to emerge from the temple they spent those years in.

If, like me, you did make an odd mistake, just reflect on what you learnt from that mistake and find some reason to forgive Lachie rather than have him front a firing squad.

Maddog37
20-03-2015, 11:39 AM
I can't help but feel people are being a little precious about this.

The media are openly questioning the story being told but if it was Saint Nick or Juddy or one of the other golden boys then no one would doubt a word of it and life would move on.

How about we support him rather than hang him out to dry.

Sedat

I suggest any among us who did not make any errors in our adolescent/early adult years might now find some time to emerge from the temple they spent those years in.

If, like me, you did make an odd mistake, just reflect on what you learnt from that mistake and find some reason to forgive Lachie rather than have him front a firing squad.
If his story about the VFL listed player using his account without his knowledge corroborates, then I completely agree with you. But if he's been found to have bet against the Dogs in a multi (and lied to cover it up), he is a classic fool of the highest order and deserves every level of punishment and scorn he will end up receiving. I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.

Topdog

Sorry but if he placed a bet against his team he should be sacked by the club.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2015, 11:41 AM

Not sure anyone has claimed some sort of divinity in which to cast a stone of criticism or concern. Only a hypocrite (not saying you) would seek sanctions against Essendon for major infractions and then not apply the same level of scrutiny when someone from our club has a prima facie case of breaching very serious rules/laws of the game.

As it stands Lachie Hunter's betting account has recorded a bet against the Western Bulldogs to win a game. As it stands 30 Essendon players are alleged to have taken substances they claim not to and have no impact of performance. Ryan Crowley as it stands has a B sample with an issue. Age, experience, quality of player or anything is irrelevant. The breach of the code he stands accused of is the most serious betting violation in world sport - betting on your team to lose. I don't recall too much love for international sportsmen accused of betting on their teams to lose.

If there's an out, The AFL have shown themselves willing to always take the easy way out. But Lachie is on the wrong side of the evidence at this point and the actions will cause a lot of damage to our club. But he as a human being, for sure he deserves a second chance. But so does every Essendon player in the gun. Most people deserve forgiveness or a second chance, but in lands of rules and laws that's not always possible.

Topdog
20-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Ok sorry, I should have explained myself better, I was angry when writing. I have nothing against betting and his age group or any legal age group. What I was pissed off about is his father is a professional gambler and surprise surprise so is his son.

Surely he taught him something about life and the responsibility he has in being a professional Footballer.

Is Lachie a professional gambler??
Did his dad not teach him about his responsibilities?
Should the club not do the same?

bornadog
20-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Is Lachie a professional gambler??
Did his dad not teach him about his responsibilities?
Should the club not do the same?

No
don't know
yes

Jeanette54
20-03-2015, 11:54 AM

..... is a young 20 yo who has made an error.

Of course we all make mistakes, but at that age I was employed by Shell; who regularly made available a code of conduct. The breach of any of which were grounds for instant dismissal. Some of these I thought were pretty trivial at the time, but I wasn't stupid enough to test the limits.

I am sure that the placing of bets on football is well covered in club education.

This action (and I do agree it was in itself trivial) has brought unwanted negative publicity to the club, and IMHO that is not a trivial offense.

Bulldog4life
20-03-2015, 12:04 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-20/western-bulldogs-boss-plays-down-afl-betting-investigation/6334894

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has described the initial reaction to the AFL's investigation into two players' betting activities as hysterical.

The AFL is investigating bets placed by a Bulldogs AFL-listed player and VFL-listed player last Saturday afternoon.

Gordon said the investigation needs to be allowed to run its course and that the two players at the centre of the probe may not have committed a breach.

"Don't assume that this is some kind of great bookie robbery type conspiracy," Gordon said on ABC 774 Melbourne on Friday morning.

"This is young men having a bet on Saturday afternoon and something erroneous may have occurred."

Gordon said the two players self-reported their acts and the matter was promptly passed on to the AFL's Integrity Unit that afternoon.

"On the facts that are currently available to the club there may have been no breach by either of those players. Let's let the investigation run its course.

"It is entirely possible that the facts when they are disclosed, that it is nothing like the initial hysterical reaction that came out yesterday."

Gordon said he does not believe there is a problematic gambling culture at the Bulldogs but said betting on horses is popular among the Bulldogs and AFL players in general.

"Betting is endemic to the culture," he said.

"I do not believe there is a particular problem with the Western Bulldogs and I certainly believe our players understand the gaming rules and the betting rules for the AFL."

Gordon does not expect the AFL Integrity Unit's investigation to take long and once completed the club will undertake its own investigation.

LostDoggy
20-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Not a great look and he shouldn't have given access to his account to anyone else. But to conclude he has a sickness is a bit heavy handed on criticism. Not everyone who bets has a problem. He's young, has a high profile job, can't drink for most of year, gets tested for drugs multiple times a year. Don't hang him out to dry for having a betting account as a form of release. Innocent until proven guilty guys!

Ozza
20-03-2015, 12:48 PM

Good post Bulldog Joe.

Both the vitriol toward Hunter is disproportionate based on what has been reported to date. And the disapproval of and snide remarks towards his father, doesn't sit well at all with me.

Mark Hunter has made his living through racing, both in developing the 'Best Bets' magazine, and in being a professional punter/racing form analyst - which last time I checked - he is perfectly entitled to be as his chosen way to make a living.

Topdog
20-03-2015, 01:00 PM
No
don't know
yes

In that case I really can't understand your posts in this thread

Ozza
20-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Including the baseless assertions about Mark Hunter's parenting.

Happy Days
20-03-2015, 01:19 PM
This is so stupid.

If your mate is going to bet on the AFL then get him to download the app. Seriously it takes like 2 minutes.

Why is a Footscray player betting on the AFL anyway?

And if he did put the bet on himself, not only is it perhaps the dumbest thing in the world to do (bet against your own team), but is the financial benefit really that necessary? He's making high 5-figures to pursue a hobby.

I just can't get over how stupid this all is. You can bet on literally anything in the world and he chose to do this. A 20 year old making a mistake is cheating on your girlfriend you don't love or getting a shit tattoo or something. This is just mind blowingly dumb.

Murphy'sLore
20-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Talk about Bet Regret.

bornadog
20-03-2015, 01:49 PM

Don't understand your point either.

bornadog
20-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Including the baseless assertions about Mark Hunter's parenting.

All I know is as of right now the Bulldog Brand has been tarnished.

Let's see what the investigation brings up.

Cyberdoggie
20-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Perhaps some of this reaction may be overflowing from other events during the trade period and the clubs fortunes over recent years?

I'm of the opinion that this experience will be a very good life changing one for Hunter, similar to what Tom Liberatore went through that might get him to truly focus on his football. The fact that he was already serving a club enforced suspension only highlights this point even more so. I think he'll emerge a better and more determined player after all this is done.

The positive is that he dobbed himself in straight away, he knew what had been done was wrong and he notified the club. If he tried to get away with it and pretend nothing happened until they caught him then that would paint a very different picture of his character.

Hopefully there isn't anything more sinister in this story because if there is it will surely come out, but frankly I've moved on already. Hunter will miss some games as punishment and we'll move on as soon as the real football starts.

Remi Moses
20-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Good post Bulldog Joe.

Both the vitriol toward Hunter is disproportionate based on what has been reported to date. And the disapproval of and snide remarks towards his father, doesn't sit well at all with me.

Mark Hunter has made his living through racing, both in developing the 'Best Bets' magazine, and in being a professional punter/racing form analyst - which last time I checked - he is perfectly entitled to be as his chosen way to make a living.

Great post . Let's not cast aspersions on Mark
I think I'd be more worried being related to Mark " vitamins" Mcveigh

Topdog
20-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Don't understand your point either.

I never made a point, was just trying to understand what the heck you were on about

G-Mo77
20-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 1h1 hour ago
Believe the VFL player who laid the bet using Lachie Hunter's account is David Iaccarino ... Under the pump from city hall ...

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 58m58 minutes ago
Iaccarino was in Melbourne, I believe, and Hunter in Ballarat when bet ($10 multi including Dees to win) was placed ...

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 56m56 minutes ago
Size of the bet and the fact Hunter can claim no knowledge means hammer highly unlikely to come down too hard on the Bulldog .. Maybe fine

I'd be very surprised if just a fine.

Twodogs
20-03-2015, 09:14 PM
The
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 1h1 hour ago
Believe the VFL player who laid the bet using Lachie Hunter's account is David Iaccarino ... Under the pump from city hall ...

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 58m58 minutes ago
Iaccarino was in Melbourne, I believe, and Hunter in Ballarat when bet ($10 multi including Dees to win) was placed ...

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 56m56 minutes ago
Size of the bet and the fact Hunter can claim no knowledge means hammer highly unlikely to come down too hard on the Bulldog .. Maybe fine

I'd be very surprised if just a fine.

Stevens is well informed. Although given to wearing rose coloured when writing/commenting on bulldog matters, he's no mug. I heard Gilon Mac talking about the facts of the. case on the news before. He listed quite a few positive aspects of the case that he'd be taking into consideration when time comes for sentencing.

Having said that my preference would be a decent size penalty just for exposing himself to this situation. Taking the Libba example, it might be the prod that Huntervcould use to help concentrate his mind on the fantastic opportunity he has in front of him. He's got 50 years to operate his phone account post footy. It's not that big a sacrifice to not have one while he's a professional sportsman just so this situation doesn't arise again. In fact quitting his footy account for the duration might get him thinking about what other disciplines he could impose to make himself the best footballer he could be. And that would be a real bonus for Lochie and tge club.

LostDoggy
20-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Hysterical, vitriol, whatever.

I'll wait for the facts, but if he's found to have bet against the Dogs I want him sacked, purely so I don't have to boo one of our own.

Let's hope this is all overblown.

Rocco Jones
20-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL[/B] 58m58 minutes ago

Cracking point there by Steveo. If one guy is in Melbourne and the other in Ballarat, how could they communicate with each other? Like it's ridiculous to think either has super power voice to travel that distance or hearing perhaps (or even a combination of super power voice and hearing that would take half the distance each). Either way, all ridiculous suggestions that highlight how absurd it would possibly be for a guy in Ballarat to be able to communicate with a guy in Melbourne.

F'scary
20-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Hysterical, vitriol, whatever.

I'll wait for the facts, but if he's found to have bet against the Dogs I want him sacked, purely so I don't have to boo one of our own.

Let's hope this is all overblown.

Let's hope it was the "top-up" player who had the Einstein moment and Hunter is just a victim of letting a mate use his account for some reason, perhaps unwittingly.

bornadog
21-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Jack Crisp also being investigated

Collingwood recruit being probed over bet made last season (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-recruit-being-probed-over-bet-made-last-season-20150320-1m4ax2.html)

Before I Die
21-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Cracking point there by Steveo. If one guy is in Melbourne and the other in Ballarat, how could they communicate with each other? Like it's ridiculous to think either has super power voice to travel that distance or hearing perhaps (or even a combination of super power voice and hearing that would take half the distance each). Either way, all ridiculous suggestions that highlight how absurd it would possibly be for a guy in Ballarat to be able to communicate with a guy in Melbourne.

If Hunter self reported during the NAB game in Ballarat then someone got a message to him.

bornadog
21-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Lachie Hunter may escape sanction on match betting blunder (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lachie-hunter-may-escape-sanction-on-match-betting-blunder-20150320-1m46oi.html)

Twodogs
21-03-2015, 12:15 AM
If Hunter self reported during the NAB game in Ballarat then someone got a message to him.

Maybe the top up guy realised what he'd done and rang Lochie and informed him. I have a mate in Ballarat that I ring all the time.

Twodogs
21-03-2015, 12:31 AM
Lachie Hunter may escape sanction on match betting blunder (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lachie-hunter-may-escape-sanction-on-match-betting-blunder-20150320-1m46oi.html)

That's the interview I was talking about earlier.

w3design
21-03-2015, 01:52 AM
That's the interview I was talking about earlier.

Just maybe, by Lachie self reporting the indiscretion, supported by a signed stat dec by half-time, suggests that club inductions around gambling may be working well. Naivety is part of growing up. Give him a break. If he doesn't learn from this and ***t keeps happening, well so be it, sack him.

Throughandthrough
21-03-2015, 09:53 AM

If only someone could invent a hand held communication advice that was able to mystically send messages through the air to someone who wasn't even in the same room. And imagine the fancy if that thing also allowed you to have a little punt! #notinmylifetime

Maddog37
21-03-2015, 10:50 AM
If only someone could invent a hand held communication advice that was able to mystically send messages through the air to someone who wasn't even in the same room. And imagine the fancy if that thing also allowed you to have a little punt! #notinmylifetime

Sort of like a telephone but more mobile......

always right
21-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Either you neglected to throw in some sarcasm emoticons....or this is far from your best work Rocco. I hope it's the former.

F'scary
21-03-2015, 11:06 AM
We really need more information at this stage on how come another person was using his account and the circumstances around the self reporting.

G-Mo77
21-03-2015, 11:42 AM
We really need more information at this stage on how come another person was using his account and the circumstances around the self reporting.

It could be a joint account, probably others use it as well. There is about 5 - 6 guys at work that have one account and they take it turns of placing bets. Not saying this is the case but it is a scenario.

Dancin' Douggy
21-03-2015, 11:53 AM
For mine there's a lot of hysteria flying around about this.

I have inadvertently bid for an item on ebay, not realise I was logged in to someone elses account.
It's easy to happen in a share house or with shared devices.
It seems Lachy has realised what's happened , thought to himself "holy $%#@$ this is bad" and gone straight the highest authority he could find to report it.

I think it's a very simple story

Bulldog4life
21-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Before we all get our panties in a twist...very uncomfortable to say the least...let's see what the outcome of the AFL investigation is. Let's not bury the guy yet. It mightn't be as bad as a lot of posters think.

Go_Dogs
21-03-2015, 01:07 PM
I'd been away without any phone or internet access this week, so only heard the news yesterday afternoon from a mate.

Can't say that I'm overly concerned based on the circumstances which have come to light, particularly that it was self reported prior to the match being completed. Obviously, we need to wait until the investigation is completed, however it appears the outcome won't be too bad for Lachie and it's a good opportunity to reinforce some basic guidelines about betting with our young squad.

westdog54
21-03-2015, 10:30 PM
The more I read about this the more I'm thinking that Lachie and the player have realised very quickly that they were in the shit and come clean at the earliest opportunity.

My boss always tells us, if you *!*!*!*! up, that's fine, it happens. Just come and tell me and we'll work through it.

Topdog
21-03-2015, 11:15 PM
The more I read about this the more I'm thinking that Lachie and the player have realised very quickly that they were in the shit and come clean at the earliest opportunity.

My boss always tells us, if you *!*!*!*! up, that's fine, it happens. Just come and tell me and we'll work through it.

I really don't think Lachie did anything wrong with the information we have at the moment. Other than his friend being a DH

westdog54
21-03-2015, 11:19 PM
I really don't think Lachie did anything wrong with the information we have at the moment. Other than his friend being a DH

Yep I'm inclined to agree. At worst he's been careless in allowing access to his betting account.

AndrewP6
21-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Call me cynical, but the whole "My mate did it on my account" story seems rather high school-ish... Surely that's just the mate taking the fall so Hunter doesn't get whacked. Hope I'm wrong.

bornadog
21-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Call me cynical, but the whole "My mate did it on my account" story seems rather high school-ish... Surely that's just the mate taking the fall so Hunter doesn't get whacked. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree can see that a mile away. Whether he did anything against AFL rules is another matter.

The one thing I have herad is Hunter and a few others are in a syndicate and t was a syndicate bet. Whether that is right or wrong as its possible Hunter didn't know the bet the syndicate was putting on.

Topdog
22-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Hasn't the following already been confirmed

* it was a phone bet?
* Bet was placed by friend in Melbourne while Lachie was in Ballarat.

My understanding was those 2 things were confirmed. If they are then the whole worst story since high school is impossible to get away with.

There are not only phone records kept by the person making the phone call which can be verified but also the recorded phone call of the betting agency. The story could be picked apart in about 5 minutes if they are not being honest.

bornadog
22-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Dogs hope for quick answer on Hunter (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-21/dogs-hope-for-quick-answer)
WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge hopes an outcome of an AFL investigation into Lachie Hunter's betting activity will happen within days.
The Dogs coach also said the young midfielder would be free for selection early in the season.

Hunter met with the AFL's integrity department last week after reporting to his club that a bet was placed on the Bulldogs' loss to Melbourne last Saturday from his betting account.

He has claimed it was placed by a Footscray VFL player.

Hunter, currently unavailable for selection because he was late to a training session before the NAB Challenge games began, trained with his teammates on Friday at Whitten Oval.

Following Saturday night’s impressive 61-point win over Collingwood, Beveridge said the club would keep supporting Hunter and hoped the 20-year-old would learn from the experience.

"I'm hoping that something we can hang our hat on decision-wise will happen early next week, that's up to the AFL," Beveridge said.

"All we're doing is supporting him. We can't really make too much comment on it.

"He's probably been through a period where he's learned a bit about what his future looks like with doing the right thing by himself and his teammates, and so we need to help him through it.

"Hopefully in the early part of this season we can get him back into the side and he can start to play good footy because he's a very important player for us."

bulldogtragic
22-03-2015, 08:28 PM
You know what I want to see if this is the real story. Immediately sack the Footscray top up player for betting against team mates. Why hasn't this happened?

azabob
22-03-2015, 09:48 PM
You know what I want to see if this is the real story. Immediately sack the Footscray top up player for betting against team mates. Why hasn't this happened?

The club was instructed to take no action or conduct an investigation until the afl had finshed theirs.

bulldogtragic
22-03-2015, 11:17 PM
The club was instructed to take no action or conduct an investigation until the afl had finshed theirs.

Ok. Then it's a not negotiable when the times right to sack said top up player.

We need media watch to have an AFL themed episode. 10 people involved say the Oz. We say one AFL player 200kms from the bet location and a top up.

One party is full of effluent.

bornadog
22-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Ok. Then it's a not negotiable when the times right to sack said top up player.

We need media watch to have an AFL themed episode. 10 people involved say the Oz. We say one AFL player 200kms from the bet location and a top up.

One party is full of effluent.

Maybe he did nothing wrong.

bulldogtragic
22-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Maybe he did nothing wrong.

The saga needs a sacrifice. The consequential message to the Bulldogs groups needs to be strong and absolute.

Topdog
23-03-2015, 08:06 AM
The saga needs a sacrifice. The consequential message to the Bulldogs groups needs to be strong and absolute.

So you did nothing wrong but we will sack you?

westdog54
23-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Does Hunter share a house with any players? I wonder if this might have been a "shared computer" stuff up.

The Footscray listed player needs to go if he's bet against the club. No question.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2015, 10:46 AM
So you did nothing wrong but we will sack you?

The club has been into disrepute. Whether it's technical or not, 99.9% of people won't understand. For me it's an offence of strict liability, like parking in a disabled car spot without a permit. Sure it may be an accident, but booking said car owner is a strong message about needing to obey sacrosanct things (not betting against your employer) and the need to send a strong disincentive to anyone and everyone else that the consequences are so terrible, it's best just to find a park further away and walk - or in this case bet on the 567,543,698 things you can bet live on.

LostDoggy
23-03-2015, 10:56 AM
So.....did the bet get up? :D

hujsh
23-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Is there any ruie that says that employees (not AFL listed players) of an AFL club can not bet against the club they're employed by? Unless there is (or there's some other similar rule) I don't see how the VFL player can be sacked.

Throughandthrough
23-03-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm hearing totem drums that a very (very) large number of players from a variety of clubs are being looked at in regards to betting stuff.

SlimPickens
23-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Is there any ruie that says that employees (not AFL listed players) of an AFL club can not bet against the club they're employed by? Unless there is (or there's some other similar rule) I don't see how the VFL player can be sacked.

If you're employed at an AFL club, you cannot bet on anything AFL. If imagine if the VFL player has a contract he may be in trouble.

bornadog
23-03-2015, 03:12 PM
If you're employed at an AFL club, you cannot bet on anything AFL. If imagine if the VFL player has a contract he may be in trouble.

I assume from your comment players and non-players.

Cyberdoggie
23-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Wouldn't he be technically employed by a VFL club? that happens to have an AFL parent?

Not sure how this is different from a VFL player at a club like Werribee or Sandringham for example,
Not directly employed by an AFL club but have association with those players from StKilda and North.
Does open up a can of worms though.

Twodogs
23-03-2015, 06:01 PM
I assume from your comment players and non-players.

Players, admin, the lady who works in the Bulldog shop, the guys who run Sons of the West, the membership department, the cleaners and everyone else who works for the footy club. Although a few of those might be labour hire or agency staff. I wonder what their status woul be?

Bulldog4life
23-03-2015, 09:39 PM
THE two players at the centre of the Western Bulldogs betting controversy could both be cleared.

Senior forward Lachie Hunter has claimed VFL-listed player David Iaccarino used Hunter’s betting account to place a wager on a Dogs’ preseason game.

The bet was made on the Dogs to lose their second NAB Challenge match against Melbourne.

Hunter, who was not playing in the match due to an unrelated club-imposed suspension, notified the club as soon as he was made aware of the bet.

VFL players are not banned from betting on AFL games, but the AFL could revise those regulations following this incident.

The Dogs are hopeful of a verdict on the matter from the AFL’s Integrity Unit this week.

New Collingwood recruit Jack Crisp is also being investigated for an alleged small bet he placed on an AFL game last year.

Coach Nathan Buckley said Crisp was “embarrassed” and prepared to “prepared to pay his penance”.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/two-western-bulldogs-players-at-centre-of-betting-probe-could-both-be-cleared/story-fni5fazw-1227275390284

SlimPickens
23-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Wouldn't he be technically employed by a VFL club? that happens to have an AFL parent?

Not sure how this is different from a VFL player at a club like Werribee or Sandringham for example,
Not directly employed by an AFL club but have association with those players from StKilda and North.
Does open up a can of worms though.

According to the AFL betting guidelines, if you're employed by an AFL club or sit on the board for example you cannot bet on anything AFL.

VFL players can bet but I'd imagine now with the close proximity of AFL/VFL lists this will be looked at and changed.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2015, 09:57 PM
According to the AFL betting guidelines, if you're employed by an AFL club or sit on the board for example you cannot bet on anything AFL.

VFL players can bet but I'd imagine now with the close proximity of AFL/VFL lists this will be looked at and changed.

You might know Slim. But are not both clubs the one trading entity, with one the FFC and other FFC trading as WBFC. If so, the employer is an AFL club??

ledge
24-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Well If VFL players are allowed to bet and it is proved the VFL player made the bet .. It's a non story, nothing illegal. Case closed.
Huge difference to the H/S first story ,something along the lines of a huge splurge and ten players involved , when do journos actually pay for the lies and the unsubstantiated stories ? We won't get a front page apology that's for sure like the crap story got.

SlimPickens
24-03-2015, 08:00 PM
You might know Slim. But are not both clubs the one trading entity, with one the FFC and other FFC trading as WBFC. If so, the employer is an AFL club??

No I don't think that is correct.

SonofScray
24-03-2015, 11:14 PM

The Footscray Bulldogs are a team we field in the VFL, the Western Bulldogs a team in the AFL. Both would fall under the membership/governance of the Footscray Football Club trading as Western Bulldogs

BornInDroopSt'54
25-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Not guilty your honour. "Two Dogs could escape bet probe"(sic)
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/two-western-bulldogs-players-at-centre-of-betting-probe-could-both-be-cleared/story-fnia6qqt-1227275390284

Twodogs
25-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Not guilty your honour. "Two Dogs could escape bet probe"(sic)
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/two-western-bulldogs-players-at-centre-of-betting-probe-could-both-be-cleared/story-fnia6qqt-1227275390284

It's nothing to do with me.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-03-2015, 05:41 PM
It's nothing to do with me.

Spoken like a guilty man!

choconmientay
25-03-2015, 08:45 PM
LACHIE Hunter has been cleared of wrongdoing. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-25/hunter-in-the-clear

bulldogtragic
25-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Good for Lachie. But I dont care for finding a loophole for a player that bets against the Bulldogs, vfl or afl.

Twodogs
25-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Spoken like a guilty man!

No that was posted by a rookie list poster accidentally on my account. I'd given them my log in and password details.

bulldogtragic
25-03-2015, 09:32 PM
No that was posted by a rookie list poster accidentally on my account. I'd given them my log in and password details.

#StandByTwodogs

Maddog37
25-03-2015, 09:51 PM

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Topdog
25-03-2015, 10:43 PM

You actually don't need a password for phone betting

LostDoggy
25-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Blown over quicker than a dried out cactus. Move along, nothing to see here.

Do I bother watching the footy show for the apology? I might be busy like last Thursday.

Twodogs
25-03-2015, 11:44 PM

Really? So ?I could just ring and make a bet on Lachie Hunter's account?

jeemak
26-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Is it a bit like phone/tablet apps - once you've accessed the device you can access and use the app.

Some of the reactions far and wide over this were a bit much for me. Hopefully Hunter learns a lesson out of this, and uses it to spur himself forward.

As for the VFL listed player, I couldn't really care if he bets against us in pre season or regular season games. He's not obliged in any way not to or otherwise.

Topdog
28-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Well you would have to know his account # but essentially yes.

Twodogs
29-03-2015, 04:03 AM
Well you would have to know his account # but essentially yes.

Well obviously that's pretty easy to get hold of.

Scraggers
29-03-2015, 07:02 PM

You do for the app ... Well mine does anyway

GVGjr
29-03-2015, 07:20 PM
While it's great Hunter has been cleared I still wonder if the seriousness of this has taught all players to really monitor and tighten up any gambling accounts they have?

I'd like to think it's going to be a long while before a player is sill enough to wager a bet on the AFL.

ledge
29-03-2015, 09:55 PM
How come this was cleared up
So quick but the Crisp one where he admitted it last year is still ongoing ?

jeemak
29-03-2015, 10:56 PM
How come this was cleared up
So quick but the Crisp one where he admitted it last year is still ongoing ?

Might it have something to do with Hunter's betting records being scrutinised and being found clean, aside from this episode?

He self reported, opened up and got found to be without anything to answer for?

Topdog
29-03-2015, 10:57 PM
You do for the app ... Well mine does anyway

yep but as far as I know the allegation was that it was a phone bet, not an internet bet. My phone has my password saved for a few of my betting accounts too

jeemak
29-03-2015, 11:03 PM
While it's great Hunter has been cleared I still wonder if the seriousness of this has taught all players to really monitor and tighten up any gambling accounts they have?

I'd like to think it's going to be a long while before a player is sill enough to wager a bet on the AFL.

Considering how prolific betting via phone and apps is, I doubt this will be the last issue the AFL, its clubs and its players have to deal with however, I think that moving forward, a player will have to be insanely stupid for anything bigger than this type of infraction to occur.

AFL players, irrespective of the education given to them are just as prone to stupidity as the next professional person who has to deal with any work related restrictions on their personal lives. In my industry you can be randomly drug and alcohol tested at any time, no matter if you're white or blue in the collar. We get educated on the pitfalls of showing up to work moderately exposed to being caught out, and in many cases we could lose our employment if on the wrong side of a test, but it doesn't stop all of us from running the gauntlet.

If gambling is becoming more prolific, you can bet there will be cases of it finding players exposed to doing the wrong thing.

GVGjr
30-03-2015, 08:20 PM
More betting scandals today. Jack Cripps now at Collingwood has been fined and apparently a score review Official has also been caught.

On the surface it seems a simple instruction but it's obviously a problem for some.

bulldogtragic
30-03-2015, 08:27 PM
More betting scandals today. Jack Cripps now at Collingwood has been fined and apparently a score review Official has also been caught.

On the surface it seems a simple instruction but it's obviously a problem for some.

I don't get it. Obviously not being a gambler. It must be difficult to be prepared to lose your career over not much money.

LostDoggy
31-03-2015, 03:47 PM
I don't get it. Obviously not being a gambler. It must be difficult to be prepared to lose your career over not much money.

I'd think it would merely add to the thrill.

Twodogs
31-03-2015, 08:50 PM

It's an addiction. It won't make sense unless you are an addict.