PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: NAB 3: Collingwood

bulldogtragic
21-03-2015, 08:17 PM
This is the round 3 edition of the Bankers and Anchors Thread (NAB Challenge). Once the game against Collingwood is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Bumpy.

Webby
21-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Hamling's is a prodigious puncher of the ball. I like him! He's an ordinary kick, but the timing of his leaping and punching is fantastic. Looks a good pick up.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2015, 10:47 PM
1. Granty. Granty. Granty.
2. Hamling
3. Wallis
4. Bonts
5. Macrae
6. Minson

Why can't I turn the three negatives into positives right now?

EasternWest
21-03-2015, 10:55 PM
1. Grant played with an intensity rarely seen from him. His pressure acts were terrific.

2. Hamling plays like an old school defender. Not a lot of flair, but his application was good.

3. Thought Tory Dickson's pressure was good.

2. Stringer looked a bit rusty to me.
1. Minson's 50 was needlessly dumb.

1eyedog
21-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Hamling's is a prodigious puncher of the ball. I like him! He's an ordinary kick, but the timing of his leaping and punching is fantastic. Looks a good pick up.

Agreed. A pleasant surprise to what we've seen from the Markovics, Austins, Jones' et al. over the past few years.

GVGjr
21-03-2015, 11:20 PM

Does Spud Frawley do a golden fist award for the NAB Challenge ;)

Hotdog60
21-03-2015, 11:20 PM
1: Bonts, something special
2: Dickson busted a gut tonight and looks like Bevo has been a positive influence
3: Wally may rise to the top and I like the look of our mosquito fleet.

I too happy for any negatives.

boydogs
22-03-2015, 02:14 AM
Bankers
Minson back to his best, amazing turnaround from last week giving us first use
Intensity, attack on the ball and the man was well beyond NAB cup levels, almost finals like
Bonts a class above

Anchors
Talia needs to learn from Dale Morris in kicking within his limitations
T Boyd is drawing a crowd but being shown up by Redpath at this stage
JJ won't be best 22 if he can't hit a target after getting into space

always right
22-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Interesting comment on Talia. I actually think that kicking within his limitations is one thing he does do well. Even nailed a few left foot passes last night and only recall him missing a target once. His bigger challenge is his ball handling which is uncertain to be kind.

SonofScray
22-03-2015, 10:50 AM
BANKERS
1. Even team performance, good contributions across all positions.
2. Spindleshanks rounded performance on the wing. Strong offensive running, good defence aerially and creative handball.
3. Big Jack Redpath, strong hands, has his tail up. We could be anything if he builds on that as a baseline.

ANCHORS
1. The scintilating pace of the game fizzled out once we lost Wood and JJ. We managed it really well but it was a joy to watch at the time.
2. JJ lacked a bit of polish.
3. Stringer needs to balance out his game a bit, do the simple things well and let the mercurial stuff work itself out. Play in front, attack the ball and kick the goals.

F'scary
22-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Bankers: Dickson, Grant, Hamling. If these guys can hold their form and even build some more, it makes a huge difference to the depth of the list and takes pressure off our known stars.

Anchors: Can't find any on a night like that, even if it was just a preseason cup game, both sides treated it as a full dress rehearsal for round 1.

boydogs
22-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Interesting comment on Talia. I actually think that kicking within his limitations is one thing he does do well. Even nailed a few left foot passes last night and only recall him missing a target once. His bigger challenge is his ball handling which is uncertain to be kind.

He reminds me of Will Minson, thinks he's a midfielder and tries to pinpoint targets when he is better off going long. One mistake last night but a few unnecessary heart in mouth moments, and two against Melbourne

Remi Moses
22-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Bankers - Old spindle shanks was very intense last night
Game plan- looks like a more modern style
The defence - looks more team orientated ( coach has made a big difference there)
Talia's left foot (better than the right)
The commentary - far more positive last night. I think Healy is good for that.

KT31
23-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Agree Webby and unlike most of our recent backline he seems to be able to keep his feet.

ratsmac
23-03-2015, 07:10 PM
He reminds me of Will Minson, thinks he's a midfielder and tries to pinpoint targets when he is better off going long. One mistake last night but a few unnecessary heart in mouth moments, and two against Melbourne

We should be accustomed to having our hearts in our mouths. If I remember correctly my heart was always in my mouth when Brian Lake was kicking the ball with his 9 iron chips. I think Talia is and will get better with more exposure to senior football.

Twodogs
23-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Bankers

The Bont's first quarter. He was playing the game on a different level to everyone else.
The pressure we applied. That's how I want my team to play. In their face from the get-go.
We put a team away. How long has it been since we buried a team? Collingwood sagged but we kept going.

Anchors.

None really. Wills 50 maybe but after what I heard an umpire say at the Footscray game earlier in the day I'm not going to comment on 50 metre penaltys.

Drunken Bum
24-03-2015, 12:24 AM
but after what I heard an umpire say at the Footscray game earlier in the day I'm not going to comment on 50 metre penaltys.

C'mon, don't leave us hanging, do tell :)

1eyedog
24-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Agreed but kicking is not his strong point. His kicking and decision making reminds me of Rance a few years ago. Rance still has issues with consistency by foot, but it has improved significantly, likewise his decision making.