PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our best rookie list upgrade this year?

Go_Dogs
22-03-2015, 10:32 AM
After last night, it looks we may have 3 rookie upgrades who will play quite a bit of senior football for us in 2015.

Jong, who was upgraded to the senior list after a solid 2014 in the VFL has had a great pre-season, showing his pace and ball winning ability, but combining it with some great marking, improved kicking skills and a willingness to continually take the game on and create something for the team.

Redpath, who was also upgraded to the senior list after making solid progress in 2014. We know he is a strong bodied player, but it's his willingness to continually present and demonstrate good forward craft which has impressed me most, along with his hands. I liked the fact he went back last night at times too in the second half, having that versatility bodes well.

Goodes, so, not officially upgraded as yet, but after last night I would be very surprised if he isn't upgraded before round 1. He looked quick, he moved well, he won his ball and was composed with using it. It was one of the better games I've seen him play in the senior side, and perhaps he is another who will take his successful 2014 momentum into 2015 and have a good year for us.

So, who do you think will have the biggest impact on 2015, and why?

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 10:36 AM
It's a tough question and I will go with Jong. I think he has improved so much in a short space of time

Johannisen, Campbell were also upgraded from the rookie list and maybe come into the mix as well

Go_Dogs
22-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Johannisen, Campbell were also upgraded from the rookie list and maybe come into the mix as well

I've just gone with this years bunch, but it's a fair point.

If we're counting Campbell and JJ, we'd have to count Dahlhaus too - we've landed some good talent off the RL over the past 5 years.

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 10:53 AM
I've just gone with this years bunch, but it's a fair point.

If we're counting Campbell and JJ, we'd have to count Dahlhaus too - we've landed some good talent off the RL over the past 5 years.

Yep, missed Dahlhaus, in terms of scope for improvement Campbell and JJ might come into the mix as well.

It's still Jong for me but how fortunate are we to have the 3 you nominated already showing such form.

Go_Dogs
22-03-2015, 10:59 AM
It's still Jong for me but how fortunate are we to have the 3 you nominated already showing such form.

Indeed, hats off to Dalrymple and all those involved.

I've gone for Jong too. I think the ability for him to take an overhead mark and impact the scoreboard is what got him over the line for me. His inside work, pace and willingness to take the game on are already welcomed additions to our young midfield, but if he can finish the season with 20 goals to boot, that would be a huge return.

F'scary
22-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Redpath. He's playing the hardest position on the ground, he's taking heaps of pressure off Tom Boyd, which is a massive bonus and he even gets into backline when needed. He is also making it easier for Stringer and Crameri, as the opposition needs to find an extra taller, bigger bodied backman to cover them as well.

boydogs
22-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Jong. Still has some weaknesses in his game though not as weak as they were, but at times last night it was like having the tall, big bodied, explosive Griffen & Cooney back

jazzadogs
22-03-2015, 03:15 PM
I think Redpath could very easily end the season as our leading goalscorer, based on his pre-season to date. Him, Jong and Cordy will be our biggest improvers for the year IMO, but Redpath's role for the team will make him the most valuable.

I think he quite soundly beat Nathan Brown last night with a few strong contested marks, and if he can keep that up through the year takes important pressure off TBoyd.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-03-2015, 04:38 PM
I voted for Jong only as Libba is out and Boyd playing down back. But it's a fantastic story to have Jong and Redpath with only s cigarette paper between them. All of a sudden we are looking like a footy side with options everywhere.

Twodogs
22-03-2015, 05:44 PM
There are two questions there.

Who will be our best rookie list upgrade? Jong. If he keeps improving he will be one of our key midfielders in a couple of years. There is nothing he can't do.

Who will have the biggest 2015 impact? Jack Redpath. Nothing complicated about Jack's game. See ball, go for ball, get ball. If somebody else has the ball then get it off them. He's going to create space for Tom Boyd to run into, opportunities for the mosquito fleet with spllages or mark the ball the ball and kick a goal himself. He will hurt opposition players in tackles so they'll still be feeling a bit tender the next couple of contests they go for. And he will be doing it this year.

FrediKanoute
22-03-2015, 07:31 PM
THe rookie list really is becoming a critical part of the overall list mangement strategy. Giving young kids who haven't quite shown enough as a junior or have had injury problems a chance or who have dominated at VFL/State Level a chance to function in an AFL environment and showcase their wares is critical. We are looking at potentially a quarter of the playing list and depending on selections a third of the starting 18 having originally come from the rookie list - Morris, Boyd, Dahlhaus, Redpath, Jong, Johanesson - more if Campbell makes the grade. Its so important these days to stock the rookie list just as well as the main list.