PDA

View Full Version : Collingwood footballers Lachy Keeffe and Josh Thomas face positive drug test

bornadog
30-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Link here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/collingwood-footballers-lachy-keeffe-and-josh-thomas-face-positive-drug-test-20150330-1maznj.html)

Two Collingwood footballers are understood to have tested positive to a performance enhancing drug.

The Magpie pair, Lachy Keeffe and Josh Thomas, are believed to have tested positive to the presence in samples collected earlier in the year.

If proven the player are facing a lengthy suspension and possible dismissal from the club.

Collingwood chief executive Gary Pert did not return calls from Fairfax Media today but the Magpies are understood to be considering their legal position with regards to the players.

Just as the AFL has refused to disclose the drug taken by Fremantle's Ryan Crowley, it remained unclear on Monday what substance the players had taken or how they came to have it in their system.

Pert made headlines more than two years ago when he alerted clubs to the game's illegal drug problem and "volcanic" behaviour by some players during the off season.

bulldogtragic
30-03-2015, 03:31 PM
What's going on in the footy world???

bornadog
30-03-2015, 03:35 PM

Funny how Crowley got away with keeping it quiet and not suspended at the time, and these guys are immediately banned. They are also still to have B sample taken.

bulldogtragic
30-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Funny how Crowley got away with keeping it quiet and not suspended at the time, and these guys are immediately banned. They are also still to have B sample taken.

I have zero faith in these 'systems'...

divvydan
30-03-2015, 03:41 PM

Crowley's came under a different listing, namely "Specified Substance" rather than "Prohibited Substance" which is the case for these Collingwood players.

bornadog
30-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Crowley's came under a different listing, namely "Specified Substance" rather than "Prohibited Substance" which is the case for these Collingwood players.

ok, fair enough

Maddog37
30-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Eddie will burn these two in a heartbeat to protect the Collingwood brand.

bornadog
30-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Eddie will burn these two in a heartbeat to protect the Collingwood brand.

4.30 today

Webby
30-03-2015, 04:06 PM

The same thing that's gone on for 35 odd years: a significant number of players are taking drugs! It's just that the AFL have finally bowed to pressure and are almost adequately testing for them!

bulldogtragic
30-03-2015, 04:10 PM
The same thing that's gone on for 35 odd years: a significant number of players are taking drugs! It's just that the AFL have finally bowed to pressure and are almost adequately testing for them!

These two look in strife, just heard they're alleged to be 'anabolic agents'. So hard to see this being accidental. What a way to start the first day of footy season after cricket...

Greystache
30-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Clenbuterol is the drug.

It's a stimulant that improves oxygen carrying abilities and is alleged to assist in the development of lean muscle and reduction of body fat.

Sedat
30-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Yep, I believer that Contador was kicked out of the 2010 Tour de France over the use of this drug. These two are in a world of trouble if the B sample comes up positive.

Greystache
30-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Yep, I believer that Contador was kicked out of the 2010 Tour de France over the use of this drug. These two are in a world of trouble if the B sample comes up positive.

He did indeed. He tried to claim it was from tainted meat because previously 100 Mexican soccer players tested positive to it and were subsequently cleared when it was found the Mexican cattle industry were pumping the cows full of it. His appeal was dismissed.

LostDoggy
30-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Each time another story and another team, and I look increasingly across the road to the WO and plead to the footy gods, not us. Not my team.

Is it merely inevitable, a matter of time? Are these isolated incidents of fringe players going a bit too far to make the squad or are we all (footy fans in general) finally waking up to a naïvety left over from our suburban club roots?

I'm scared shitless boys.

ledge
30-03-2015, 04:50 PM
It's also used for asthmatics to clear the airways ..

AndrewP6
30-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Whilst it can be used to aid in asthma treatment, there have been many banned for using it, even unknowingly. Contador was one, there have been Olympic athletes too. Those boys are in a world of trouble. As for our club, it's naive in the extreme to think our players are beyond reproach. Libba, anyone? Put hundreds of young men in a grueling contest year after year, there are going to be some who contravene the rules. People talk about education etc... You can lead a horse to water...

Sometimes society gives these guys too much credit.

bornadog
30-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Whilst it can be used to aid in asthma treatment, there have been many banned for using it, even unknowingly. Contador was one, there have been Olympic athletes too. Those boys are in a world of trouble. As for our club, it's naive in the extreme to think our players are beyond reproach. Libba, anyone? Put hundreds of young men in a grueling contest year after year, there are going to be some who contravene the rules. People talk about education etc... You can lead a house to water...

Maybe they went to China and ate meat.;)

Before I Die
30-03-2015, 05:56 PM
... You can lead a house to water...

Now that i would like to see :)

Greystache
30-03-2015, 05:59 PM
You can lead a house to water...

But you have to do your own plumbing?

And it's value suddenly increases?

And Chuck Norris could make it drink?

:D

AndrewP6
30-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Now that i would like to see :)

But you have to do your own plumbing?

And it's value suddenly increases?

And Chuck Norris could make it drink?

:D

Oops. That's what I get for trying to be serious :)

Cyberdoggie
30-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Maybe they went to China and ate meat.;)

Yep, they must of ate at the same chinese restaurant that imported meat from china. What a coincidence

ratsmac
30-03-2015, 08:37 PM
This is really crap coming into the footy season and on the eve of the Essendon drug scandal results.
On the bright side, at least it has nothing to do with the RWB.

Topdog
30-03-2015, 08:50 PM

It did actually take 6 weeks before this came out too. Feb 10 was the timeline given for the initial test.

Topdog
30-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Whilst it can be used to aid in asthma treatment, there have been many banned for using it, even unknowingly. Contador was one, there have been Olympic athletes too. Those boys are in a world of trouble. As for our club, it's naive in the extreme to think our players are beyond reproach. Libba, anyone? Put hundreds of young men in a grueling contest year after year, there are going to be some who contravene the rules. People talk about education etc... You can lead a horse to water...

Not sure if you are implying that you believe Libba could be on performance enhancing drugs or comparing pill popping to performance enhancing drugs.

Either way poor form IMO.

Maddog37
30-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Not sure if you are implying that you believe Libba could be on performance enhancing drugs or comparing pill popping to performance enhancing drugs.

I thought Andrew was just saying we would be naive to think our players are all perfect human beings.

AndrewP6
30-03-2015, 10:25 PM

No, simply that illicit drugs are not new, nor are they limited to some teams. But thanks for the critique. :rolleyes:

AndrewP6
30-03-2015, 10:25 PM
I thought Andrew was just saying we would be naive to think our players are all perfect human beings.

Yes, that. Thanks.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2015, 11:22 PM
I find it hard to believe nobody knew they consumed clen. :rolleyes:

westdog54
31-03-2015, 12:26 AM
I find it hard to believe nobody knew they consumed clen. :rolleyes:

Call me naive but I can. Look at Crowley, went outside the club for treatment of his issues and it but him on the arse.

Twodogs
31-03-2015, 05:01 PM
I've deleted a couple of posts. Just a bit too close to the edge.

Sedat
31-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Tony Sheahan on Twitter reporting that two more players about to be announced as having a positive drug test to the same drug as Keefe and Thomas. Neither are Dogs players allegedly.

Good to see the AFL stage-managing their 'tough stance' on PED's at precisely the same time as the Essendon players have gotten off their doping charges - purely coincidental of course :rolleyes:

ledge
31-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Apparently a saints and Carlton player

chef
31-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Apparently a saints and Carlton player

All 4 QLDer's to apparently

GVGjr
31-03-2015, 07:50 PM
A couple of posts have been deleted. Don't hint at players names if you want to stay active on the forum. Wait until it gets announced in the media.

bornadog
31-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Clenbuterol is the drug.

Known to be found in some Illicit Drugs

jeemak
01-04-2015, 12:30 AM
If nothing else this saga should act as a cautionary tale for any football supporter out there.......don't get ahead of yourself with thinking your team and its players are smarter than those of the next club. Dealing with young, and quite often stupid men, bad news is potentially just around the corner.

bornadog
29-07-2015, 03:38 PM
COLLINGWOOD players Lachlan Keeffe and Josh Thomas have been handed infraction notices by the AFL after tests revealed they had taken the drug clenbuterol.

Clenbuterol is not a specified substance on the AFL Anti-Doping prohibited list and as such, has required the players to be provisionally suspended. It is, however, a WADA-prohibited substance.

The announcement from the AFL confirms the players' b-samples had come back positive.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-29/magpies-keeffe-and-thomas-handed-infraction-notices)

bulldogtragic
29-07-2015, 04:14 PM
Let's see where this goes now shall we?

westdog54
29-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Let's see where this goes now shall we?

Don't see how they beat this TBH.

Positive B Sample makes it reasonably cut and dry.

Greystache
29-07-2015, 04:51 PM

Yep, reckon they'll be hit with a 2 year ban. They're not big names so are a good option to make examples of.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2015, 05:20 PM

You'd think so. But the Essendon affair and the ensuing tribunal farce makes me wonder if it is going to be straight forward.

westdog54
29-07-2015, 05:57 PM
You'd think so. But the Essendon affair and the ensuing tribunal farce makes me wonder if it is going to be straight forward.

This is far, far, far more straightforward than the Essendon saga.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2015, 06:00 PM

True. But I have no faith in this administration. Just some cynicism on my part.

westdog54
29-07-2015, 06:04 PM
True. But I have no faith in this administration. Just some cynicism on my part.

Even the AFL can't just make this disappear.

If these boys don't get suspended there will be organisations queueing the length of Harbour Esplanade to tear down AFL house brick by brick.

Twodogs
29-07-2015, 09:10 PM
They will get the same as SAAD probably. Same thing all of them tested positive in training to performance enhancers.

bornadog
29-07-2015, 09:24 PM
They will get the same as SAAD probably. Same thing all of them tested positive in training to performance enhancers.

The players claim they don't know how clenbuterol got into their system as they were in NZ at the time.

This is the best explanation I believe:

NRL star who served two-year ban links clenbuterol to illicit drugs (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/nrl-star-who-served-two-year-ban-links-clenbuterol-to-illicit-drugs/story-fni5f22o-1227286703872)

jeemak
30-07-2015, 02:21 AM
They've most likely been given a strike on the basis of testing positive to illicit drug use at the time, and on that basis the AFL has a green light to ban them for an extended period beyond anything that's been seen so far as far as WADA/ASADA drug use is concerned.

This will be a two year ban.

KT31
30-07-2015, 10:57 AM
“The most embarrassing thing is that people might think I’m a (steroid]) cheat. I would much rather be known as someone who partied too much than a cheat.”

Seriously ?
From my experience this pretty much sums up the attitude of a lot of young sportsmen today, whether it be ice,pills or any other illicit substance - drug taking is drug taking.

I'm dead against them but least the majority of those that take steroids are trying to improve results or get an edge in their respective sports not just get a high for the hell of it.

Mofra
30-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Yep - seems analogous with the Saad case.

Mofra
30-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm dead against them but least the majority of those that take steroids are trying to improve results or get an edge in their respective sports not just get a high for the hell of it.
It's pretty common to take lower level party drugs (over alcohol) due to recovery and skinfolds.

hujsh
30-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Seriously ?
From my experience this pretty much sums up the attitude of a lot of young sportsmen today, whether it be ice,pills or any other illicit substance - drug taking is drug taking.

There's a clear moral reason not to cheat with performance enhancing drugs. It's not that black and white with recreational drugs (unless you go overboard to the point that you hurt someone, but that's no different to alcohol)

Twodogs
31-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Or you are using coke as a masking agent.

bornadog
10-08-2015, 02:06 PM
2 year ban, fined $50,000 and delisted by Collingwood.