PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 2 vs Richmond

Eastdog
03-04-2015, 08:13 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 2 game against Richmond at the MCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
04-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Any changes to make?

bulldogtragic
04-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Hrovat is farrrr too good a player to have in the ressies. Perhaps Redpath.

kruder
05-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Goodes was ok but Stevens in for mine.

I'd give Redpath another crack at it, was only his 4th game of AFL. Although I rate Hrovat and Hunter ahead of Honey I find it hard to drop him after a solid performance.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2015, 12:22 AM
Vickery looks to have done some sort of knee injury on his comeback and looks unlikely to play.

westdog54
05-04-2015, 12:24 AM
I'd be reluctant to make any unforced changes. Anyone who played tonight is coming off a good preseason, with the exception of Crameri.

Hrovat will get his chances.

GVGjr
05-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Vickery looks to have done some sort of knee injury on his comeback and looks unlikely to play.

Was he selected in the seniors? Did he get injured today?

azabob
05-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Was he selected in the seniors? Did he get injured today?

No and yes. Griffiths played ahead of him.

stefoid
05-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Hrovat for Honeychurch.

Keep Goodes on, but as the sub and play Grant from the 1st.

chef
05-04-2015, 12:36 AM
No change for me.

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Hrovat for Honeychurch.

Keep Goodes on, but as the sub and play Grant from the 1st.

Agree.
Only change -Goodes as sub for Grant to start.

boydogs
05-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Crameri was rusty but should be better for the run. Redpath contested well but couldn't hold his marks, but I do like the idea that Stringer & Crameri get the 3rd & 4th defenders

Out: Honeychurch, Goodes
In: Hrovat, Stevens

G-Mo77
05-04-2015, 02:02 AM
Goodes' work off the ball goes unnoticed. I'd be very surprised to see him dropped this week.

jeemak
05-04-2015, 04:50 AM
Crameri was rusty but should be better for the run. Redpath contested well but couldn't hold his marks, but I do like the idea that Stringer & Crameri get the 3rd & 4th defenders

Out: Honeychurch, Goodes
In: Hrovat, Stevens

I thought Redpath's body work was extremely ordinary in some cases tonight. But, like you I would't be dropping him.

Unchanged for mine, baring niggles.

Hotdog60
05-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Same for me no change, maybe get Grant to start. I think big Jack was trying too hard so nothing seemed to stick. He needs to be given a few weeks to settle in and then make the decision. His role is important as it spreads the defenders.

G-Mo77
05-04-2015, 08:19 AM
I thought Redpath's body work was extremely ordinary in some cases tonight. But, like you I would't be dropping him.

Unchanged for mine, baring niggles.

McGovern had a blinder for the Eagles who I think played on Jack for most of the game. He was beaten a lot one on one but still managed to get his hands on a few, just couldn't clunk them.

always right
05-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Not sure we'll see any changes after one game....which we won. Nice to have blokes putting pressure on the selection committee by their performance with the Scray.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2015, 09:45 AM
When is Hunter off suspension?

westdog54
05-04-2015, 10:01 AM
When is Hunter off suspension?

He'll be available for selection this week.

Bulldog Joe
05-04-2015, 10:04 AM
selection represents a beautiful headache.

There are players deserving of games ....Cordy, Stevens, Hunter, Hrovat

but those that played acquitted themselves well.

Big Jack most under the pump, but his pre-season was good and deserves at least one more crack.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2015, 10:10 AM
No change for me. Despite liking his game a lot, I'd move Honey to the sub role.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Amazed at those suggesting Honeychurch should be dropped. His pressure was outstanding, I don't know his stats, but he was in my top 10 players or so. He faded, but his effort was crucial for the first 2-3 quarters.

Goodes for Stevens is the change I'd make.

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Agree on Honeychurch he was very industrious early and helped to keep us in it. Be surprised to see him dropped. I'd bring in one of Hrovat or Stevens for Goodes and while it won't happen would like to see Hamling as a roving CHF at the expense of Redpath. Hamlings a better mark and mover.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2015, 01:08 PM
No change for me. It was a great team effort. All players deserve at lease another week.

Rocco Jones
05-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Some are suggesting dropping Honeychurch and/or Goodes. I know no one here is having a real dip at either but important to recognise that both had 7 tackles.

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 02:07 PM
I would be happy to see the line up unchanged as long as Grant starts, Goodes or Honey as the sub.

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 02:55 PM
What about Smith? Is he ready? Beveridge said a Round 2 come back I would assume that's the VFL?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Some are suggesting dropping Honeychurch and/or Goodes. I know no one here is having a real dip at either but important to recognise that both had 7 tackles.

I won't complain if it remains unchanged, but I think we looked a little slow. Hrovat or Stevens gives us better coverage over the ground, Goodes did OK late but his lack of pace was telling a few times.

bornadog
05-04-2015, 10:32 PM
I won't complain if it remains unchanged, but I think we looked a little slow. Hrovat or Stevens gives us better coverage over the ground, Goodes did OK late but his lack of pace was telling a few times.

If a change was made then Goodes out, Hrovat in.

comrade
05-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Need to get the Rat in so Goodes makes way.

Honey gets the vest.

If Redpath strings together a couple of quiet ones, I'd bring in Cordy to take the 2nd key defender and shoulder the ruck work that we've got Boyd doing at the moment.

jazzadogs
06-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Need to get the Rat in so Goodes makes way.

Honey gets the vest.

If Redpath strings together a couple of quiet ones, I'd bring in Cordy to take the 2nd key defender and shoulder the ruck work that we've got Boyd doing at the moment.

Based on the VFL game, my preference of who to bring in to a midfield rotation would be Hrovat (close to BOG, took contested marks and kicked a set shot from 50 which I didn't think his little legs would be capable of!), Stevens (still a few of his characteristic fumbles nullifying his gut running), Webb (was really impressive on a wing/centre, won clearances and laid big tackles), Hunter (no noticeable impact for mine).

Of the big guys, Ayce seemed to start strong then fade out whereas Campbell finished strong. Both provided strong contests, took some contested marks and could have finished with about three goals each (gave some away to players in goal square). I was surprised by Campbell's hard leading and running, particularly in the last quarter which showed his improved fitness base. He did a Bontempelli-esque 'beat three tackles with a spinning move' in the middle in the final quarter, might have even been the start of our 11 goal run.

I find it hard to name changes as I didn't see the AFL game, but I would back in Hrovat to match/better Goodes' output. I'd like Redpath to get three or four games, Cordy/Campbell were good but not good enough to force him out.

GVGjr
06-04-2015, 10:56 AM
I'd be looking to include Hrovat but it's hard to find a spot for him. Perhaps Goodes or Redpath.

We are playing a side with some very good midfielders and I think we were a bit top heavy against West Coast.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 11:36 AM
I'd drop Redpath for Hrovat, not because Redpath deserves it but because we'll need the extra legs against Richmond. I'd have Hunter come through the VFL and Goodes just retains his place ahead of Stevens. Nothing wrong with having guys like Stevens, Smith, etc. in the wings keeping players on their toes.

azabob
06-04-2015, 11:49 AM
For mine Redpath should stay in.

He enables the team to keep structure when Minson is resting on the bench and can offer a target when needs be.

He got his hands to the footy a number of times and he just couldn't grasp them.

I think we owe to ourselves to give him a couple of more weeks to settle into the role and the pace of AFL football.

The good teams have tall players who are role players, not stars and I think Redpath can fit into this category.

I am surprised they are choosing to use Boyd as the number 2 ruckman and not Redpath.

To me Redpath seems more suited to the second ruck role compared to Boyd.

westbulldog
06-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Grant starts, Goodes becomes sub. Redpath definitely stays, great potential and attracts a tall.

Bulldog4life
06-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Grant starts, Goodes becomes sub. Redpath definitely stays, great potential and attracts a tall.

Sounds good. The positive about Redpath is that even though he couldn't clunk his marks he put himself in good positions to do so. A definite plus for Jack.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Redpath really needs to learn how to protect the space the ball will land.

Several times in the pre-season and again Saturday night he had dominate position over his opponent, the ball was delivered perfectly with the defender needing to run back with the flight. Redpath needs to check his opponent with his big frame just before the ball is arriving. The fact he is being outmarked from that position is a huge concern.

SonofScray
06-04-2015, 01:18 PM

That'd be my change to the team for round 2 v RFC.

Grant to use his mobility and attacking nous in open space up field at the G.

soupman
06-04-2015, 03:47 PM
No way known Redpath gets dropped. Had a great pre-season and adds too much to the team structurally to be turfed after one match.

If he doesn't touch it this week maybe look at swapping him then (although I would still be reluctant is the effort is there), but I think he has earnt a second chance and is worth persisting with.

The only players that are in danger of being dropped for me are Grant, Goodes and Honeychurch.

All three showed enough to keep their spots though, so it really comes down to how badly does the coaching staff want Hrovat in the side.

stefoid
06-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Amazed at those suggesting Honeychurch should be dropped. His pressure was outstanding, I don't know his stats, but he was in my top 10 players or so. He faded, but his effort was crucial for the first 2-3 quarters.

Goodes for Stevens is the change I'd make.

I know, but pressure should be a non-negotiable. The whole team should be applying that pressure, including anyone coming into the side. Honey played half a good game and had sub-50% disposal efficiency. If Hrovat can do better he should be played.

Im thinking Biggs for Goodes, but maybe not as soon as next week.

Smads57
06-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Want to go down a different route re Goodes. Although he played well enough, he is a "top up" player selected due to Hrovat, Stevens and Hunter not being ready for AFL this week. We need to be adding games into the latter 3 when we can IMO.

Having seen most of the VFL practice game against Geelong and Hrovat's clean skills on show, I'd be bringing him into the 22 to replace Goodes.

That was Redpath's 4th game and he should be given another chance this week to find his pre-season touch.

(NB - Dale, Webb, McLean, Hamilton and R. Smith all showed some nice touches during the practice match. Jury out on Jordan Kelly. Thought F.Roberts did a fairly manful job at fullback on some big Geelong AFL players. Hamish Macintosh was a challenge for both Ayce and Campbell but both had an impact on the scoreboard).

chef
06-04-2015, 07:41 PM
I'd hope Redpath gets a good run of games to settle and gel with Boyd.

BulldogBelle
07-04-2015, 01:52 AM
In Hrovat - Out Goodes

Goodes played well and you may consider that he deserves another match. The only reason that Goodes is to go out is because Hrovat, who is now playing very well is more likely to be a better and longer-term player. Goodes can consider himself stiff.

Honeychurch to be replaced by Webb in the near future. I guess he will have to come in sometime soon. Probably for Honeychurch. Honeychurch did some very nice things but Webb may be a better player.

In the last match both Goodes and Honeychurch did a lot of the hard grunt work on the ground and took and gave a lot of knocks.

Redpath to stay. Redpath was the player of the NAB Challenge. One good game, one ordinary game, one good game, one poor game. Due for a good game next week. He was dropping his marks, maybe there is something wrong with his eyes.

I'd give Spindlesticks a full game and give Honey the Green Jacket.

I'd also be content if there were no changes at all, except maybe Spindlesticks should play a full game.

China Dog
07-04-2015, 07:49 AM
For me it is Goodes out and Hrovat in and Grant a full game, with either Honeychurch (preferred) or Hrovat as sub. Webb and Clay Smith (following 1-2 VFL games) both chances for games in the coming weeks. Redpath needs to be given a few weeks straight to show his with to the team.

wimberga
07-04-2015, 11:22 AM
For me it is Goodes out and Hrovat in and Grant a full game, with either Honeychurch (preferred) or Hrovat as sub. Webb and Clay Smith (following 1-2 VFL games) both chances for games in the coming weeks. Redpath needs to be given a few weeks straight to show his with to the team.

I am with china dog here.

Hrovat or Stevens in for Goodesy and look to get Clay back into the team in the coming weeks.

Mantis
07-04-2015, 11:54 AM
I am surprised they are choosing to use Boyd as the number 2 ruckman and not Redpath.

To me Redpath seems more suited to the second ruck role compared to Boyd.

Is Redpath tall enough? (listed at 194cm).. Boyd is 200cm.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Is Redpath tall enough? (listed at 194cm).. Boyd is 200cm.

A lot depends on what the other side does with their second ruck, but at a guess, most sides nowadays have a bloke bigger than 194cm doing it.

The other option is to send Redpath down back for 5 minutes and let Roughead provide the chop out for Minson. We didn't see it on Saturday, so maybe it's not something we'll see this year.

It may also depend on how Boyd is travelling, if he starts putting in some stronger performances up forward later in the year, we may be more reluctant to throw him in the ruck.

1eyedog
07-04-2015, 12:10 PM
194 cm is short, maybe too short as a taller 2nd ruck certainly has the advantage at stoppages, which is dangerous. In saying that Leigh Brown contested well at 193 cm for many years.
The problem remains the same if Redpath goes back because he is too short to play on Carlisle, Tippett, Dickson, Clark et al.

comrade
07-04-2015, 12:25 PM
I feel like Hamling has done everything possible to get a gig but I guess it comes down to Talia's form.

Nice problem to have.

Cyberdoggie
07-04-2015, 12:33 PM
I would be happy to see the line up unchanged as long as Grant starts, Goodes or Honey as the sub.

I'd probably agree, I don't like the idea of Grant or a tall being a sub. The sub needs to add run for that last quarter when the game opens up and players tire, so unless your plan is only to take one of Redpath, Boyd, Stringer or Crameri off then you are limiting your options. What if Jong or Macrae had to go off early, you then lose outside run and put on another tall forward.
Not only does it limit your options but I basically declares your hand very early to the opposition.

Greystache
07-04-2015, 12:42 PM
I'd probably agree, I don't like the idea of Grant or a tall being a sub. The sub needs to add run for that last quarter when the game opens up and players tire, so unless your plan is only to take one of Redpath, Boyd, Stringer or Crameri off then you are limiting your options. What if Jong or Macrae had to go off early, you then lose outside run and put on another tall forward.
Not only does it limit your options but I basically declares your hand very early to the opposition.

I get the impression Bevo sees Grant's best chance of making the grade is as a wing/outside midfielder. Given his fitness is miles off where it needs to be, and he struggles to accumulate possessions, then the sub role might be his best fit.

The time of trying to make him a tall forward has long since come and gone.

Mantis
07-04-2015, 01:07 PM
I get the impression Bevo sees Grant's best chance of making the grade is as a wing/outside midfielder. Given his fitness is miles off where it needs to be, and he struggles to accumulate possessions, then the sub role might be his best fit.

Do we want him to simply accumulate possessions or make an impact with his possessions?

In the NAB game against Coll Grant had about 15 touches and made an impact, Macrae accumulated 30 odd touches on Saturday and had none.

bornadog
07-04-2015, 01:10 PM
A lot depends on what the other side does with their second ruck, but at a guess, most sides nowadays have a bloke bigger than 194cm doing it.

The other option is to send Redpath down back for 5 minutes and let Roughead provide the chop out for Minson. We didn't see it on Saturday, so maybe it's not something we'll see this year.

It may also depend on how Boyd is travelling, if he starts putting in some stronger performances up forward later in the year, we may be more reluctant to throw him in the ruck.

Did you notice Redpath starting in the middle playing as as midfielder a couple of times. Was very interesting, and I wonder if the coach was happy with what he did?

LostDoggy
07-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Jong and Goodes are important at the moment due to losses of mature big bodies in Griffen, Libba and Cooney.
Replacing Goodes with Grant in the starting lineup we are essentially another mid down. And if Hrovat comes in for
Goodes can he provide the same impact at the contest? If Hrovat comes in it shouldn't be for Goodes. Goodes hasn't
done a lot wrong so far.

Before I Die
07-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't understand the concern with Boyd getting short stints in the ruck.

He is the best equipped player we have for this role.
Is he likely to get any more buffeting in the ruck than he will get at FF being targeted by the FB and the third up defender?
It gives him a chance to get into the game and build confidence, plus it removes the pressure of being judged purely on goals.
It enables us to play more of our talented mid size players.

I would also keep Redpath in for at least three or four games. He has shown steady improvement at VFL level and then in the NAB games. Give him a chance to show improvement at AFL level. Boyd needs a foil up forward. Unless Roberts, Hamling or Cordy demand a game, then the best option is Redpath.

Goodes played well, but I agree that he is a stop gap solution. In the same way as Crossy went to make way for the new brigade, Goodes should only play when injuries or poor form by others necessitates it.

Grant deserves a full run this week. I think it is highly likely Honeychurch will be sore from all the buffeting he took, so a week on the pine probably would not be a bad thing. My only concern would be that the sub role seems best suited to an aerobic forward or an outside runner, both with hurt factor who can take advantage of the fatigue of other players. I am not sure that Honeychurch has the polish required, though he certainly has the legs.

Greystache
07-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Do we want him to simply accumulate possessions or make an impact with his possessions?

In the NAB game against Coll Grant had about 15 touches and made an impact, Macrae accumulated 30 odd touches on Saturday and had none.

We want both. Playing a midfielder who can only get 15 touches a game (on a good day) leaves a pretty big hole, and it's not as if every touch was putting the opposition to the sword, he didn't even kick the ball until the 20 minute mark of the last quarter in that game. MaCrae was far better.

I also don't agree at all that MaCrae had no impact on Saturday, I had him as one of our best on the day. Not every touch was damaging, no one's are, and even more so when you're racking up 30+ most weeks, but he has a lot more impact than the guy who doesn't have the ball at all.

westdog54
07-04-2015, 01:55 PM

I'm inclined to agree about Macrae and am surprised at how many had him in the bests. His impact was minimal IMO.

Before I Die
07-04-2015, 02:07 PM
How does this thread turn into a Grant vs Macrae thread?

With regard to Grant's role this week, either he starts on the field, he is sub again or he is dropped. His form in the NAB games was good. His impact as the sub was good. He is unlikely to be dropped unless he was a reluctant selection in the first place. He could be the sub again, but with a young list that lacks battle hardened bodies, I think the sub role is more likely to be used to ease the toll on our younger players.

I am pretty confident Macrae will get a game this week (it is a selection thread). His hard running to create options and provide a passage for ball movement is invaluable.

always right
07-04-2015, 02:20 PM
At the risk of turning this into a Macrae effectiveness thread, I think it's fair to say that Macrae doesn't hurt the opposition as much as we'd like although his beautifully weighted kicks often kick start an attacking piece of play....and of course it wasn't his fault Stringer's kicking was off on Saturday after Macrae found him on a good lead in the last quarter.

Don't underestimate his effectiveness in providing an option coming out of defence and his settling influence when we are under pressure. His calmness when surrounded by bodies is uncanny as is his ability to choose great options in those situations. Probably his biggest weakness at this stage is that he doesn't kick many goals. This is where he can take his game to another level if he can improve his kicking penetration. At the moment he is one of our best with the potential to become elite.

bornadog
07-04-2015, 03:04 PM
I don't understand the concern with Boyd getting short stints in the ruck.

The concern is why? We have been looking for a big full forward for some time and as soon as we get one he is switched to the ruck. ( I know they are short periods)

Although he didn't kick many or mark many balls, he straightened us up and gave us structure in the forward line. As one fellow woofer said on Saturday night at the game, we paid a lot of money so he can be a decoy for Stringer to kick goals :D

craigsahibee
07-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Given that the 22 that played last week are all fit no change for me.

The occupier of the Green Vest is a difficult one. You really do want an impact player in that role and I thought the 25 mins played by Grant on Saturday night was ok. Let him have another crack as the sub.

Forecast for Saturday is good and encouraging for a tall forward line given adequate service from further up the ground. Leave Grant on the pine as a potential sub for one of the talls.

Talking of the weather, who else is excited about the prospect of seeing Jake Stringer out on the MCG on a sunny Saturday afternoon this week? This game/occasion could have Jake's name written all over it.

Before I Die
07-04-2015, 03:20 PM
The concern is why? We have been looking for a big full forward for some time and as soon as we get one he is switched to the ruck. ( I know they are short periods)

Although he didn't kick many or mark many balls, he straightened us up and gave us structure in the forward line. As one fellow woofer said on Saturday night at the game, we paid a lot of money so he can be a decoy for Stringer to kick goals :D

Clearly Beveridge and, I suspect most Woofers, believe that variety and constantly changing the forward structure during a game is important to stop teams from closing us down. This plan means that at times Boyd will not be at full forward and quite likely not in the forward line at all. Where do we put him, on the bench?

Boyd goes to the ruck, Stringer, or Dickson or Bonti goes to full forward. What do the defenders do? it also stops our mid-field from falling into a kick it to Boyd mentality.

This is also why Redpath gets a run in the middle every now and then. Not because he is a great mid-fielder, but because it changes things up. The bench is for Minson and the runners.

Rocco Jones
07-04-2015, 04:11 PM
The more I think about it, the more I want Hrovat in ahead of Goodes. Goodes offered us a mature body but I Hrovat is a much more positive selection.

I don't believe Redpath is in our best 22 at the moment but we need to/should play him if that makes sense. Looked a bit nervous on Sat Night and if we are going to drop him after a game or two, he will really struggle to ever make it. I think we must give him at least 3-4 games (unless he really stinks it up again, Hawks game might do him more harm than good).

Bulldog Joe
07-04-2015, 05:04 PM

I see absolutely nothing wrong with getting Boyd involved in the game and in an area he is physically suited to.

He learns more about the game than sitting in the goal square uninvolved.

Geelong had no trouble giving Hawkins a few stints in the ruck in his early years and that seems to have worked out ok.

LostDoggy
07-04-2015, 07:36 PM
The more I think about it, the more I want Hrovat in ahead of Goodes. Goodes offered us a mature body but I Hrovat is a much more positive selection.

I don't believe Redpath is in our best 22 at the moment but we need to/should play him if that makes sense. Looked a bit nervous on Sat Night and if we are going to drop him after a game or two, he will really struggle to ever make it. I think we must give him at least 3-4 games (unless he really stinks it up again, Hawks game might do him more harm than good).

Spot on Rocco.

Redders might not have performed to the best of his talents on Sat night but let's give him another two or three to see if he changes his form around at least.

How many times did Jones stink it up continuously in consecutive games and still get picked eah week?

Ozza
08-04-2015, 01:08 PM

I can't agree with Macrae having no impact.
I would agree his ball use was not as good as it usually is - but what was crucial was Macrae's ability to be the option for his team mates.
There were several times in the game we had the ball at half back (or even deep in defence) where it was looking like we'd have to go long and predictable up the line, but Macrae's running meant we got that extra uncontested link.

Go_Dogs
08-04-2015, 06:50 PM
There were several times in the game we had the ball at half back (or even deep in defence) where it was looking like we'd have to go long and predictable up the line, but Macrae's running meant we got that extra uncontested link.

Agree with that, albeit also agree it wasn't his best game by foot.

What did everyone make of his defensive running?

bornadog
09-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Cordy in

Redpath Out

Go_Dogs
09-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Cordy in

Redpath Out

A bit surprising, but happy to see Ayce get a run. He was good in the NAB games.

Remi Moses
09-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Thinking Cordy might get a run on reward for good form.

jazzadogs
09-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Would have liked to see Jack given the opportunity to build confidence and form, given how well he performed during the NAB games. However, Ayce was equally impressive in those games and backed it up with a really strong game in the VFL.

He was taking contested marks, picking the ball up off the ground, executing his skills well...hopefully he is able to do what Jack couldn't, and transfer it onto the big stage!

1eyedog
09-04-2015, 07:44 PM
I thought Jack should have gotten another week but he did struggle against an undermanned west coast defence. Got in the right position often enough but his hands let him down. Needs to go back and kick some goals now. This could be the making of Ayce, hoping he plays really well and stays in the team. Massive stage for him.

whythelongface
09-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Roughead, Talia, Minson, Cordy, Boyd

Does anyone remember a taller spine? Are we going in too tall against Richmond?

westdog54
09-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Cordy in

Redpath Out

It will be interesting to see what happens with Boyd. One would think with Ayce playing that Boyd won't be required in the ruck as often, if at all.

F'scary
09-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Richmond:

In: Lambert
Out: Lids

chef
09-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Classy

Bulldog4life
09-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Sorry to see Jack go after one match but looking forward to seeing how Ayce goes. Now with Ayce in the side big Tommy Boyd might not have to do any rucking....but you never know.

Jeanette54
09-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Sorry to see Jack Redpath dropped for the Richmond game. Having watched the West Coast game again I was impressed by how many times he managed to get to the right places, at the right times. Once that can be achieved actually holding the mark is only a matter of confidence.

The only reason for the change I guess would be an acknowledgement that we need a second ruckman/forward to help out Big Will.

LostDoggy
09-04-2015, 08:47 PM

Its enormous. Compare against other finals winning teams 10 years apart (warning - very OCD):

1985 - Kennedy 188 / Foster 189 / Purser 195 / Sewell 188 / Beasley 195 = 955

1995 - Nicholson 186 / Standfield 193 / Wynd 201 / Grant 193 / Sexton 191 = 964

2006 - Lake 195 / Hargrave 190 / Street 211 / Johnson 182 / Grant 193 = 964

2015 - Roughead 200 / Talia 194 / Minson 199 / Cordy 204 / Boyd 201 = 998

comrade
09-04-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm not unhappy we've gone with Ayce. If he can at least halve a contest and bring the ball down, his ability to take ruck duties when Will has a spell is valuable in that it takes the burden off Tom Boyd.

Come on Ayce, show us something!

bulldogtragic
09-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Those at WO for the qualifying final last year saw 'Angry Ayce' in the last quarter to get us the win. I want to see that again, as it's good viewing!!

Maddog37
09-04-2015, 09:35 PM
I am hopeful that selection will be ruthless all year and sides are picked on form and match ups.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Not surprising that we are prepared to take in two legitimate rucks, given Beveridge was part of a Hawthorn team that always had two of Hale, McEvoy, Ceglar and before that Bailey.

Redpath is somewhat stiff given he had a strong pre-season and only 1 poor game, but it's an opportunity for him to go back and really dominate VFL.

Cordy playing means we have better coverage when Minson needs a rest. Boyd competes well but he got smashed when he went in there, especially at the centre bounces. From a personnel point of view it the Redpath/Cordy change makes sense. Hopefully the latter can deliver on some good performances late in 2014 and a solid pre-season thus far.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2015, 09:42 PM
I am hopeful that selection will be ruthless all year and sides are picked on form and match ups.

Hopefully.

Against sides with lesser rucks, Redpath should play (if in decent form) and Boyd can provide Minson with a chop out, but when sides have a decent ruck division I see plenty of merit for Cordy (or Campbell) to take Jack's place.

bornadog
09-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Those at WO for the qualifying final last year saw 'Angry Ayce' in the last quarter to get us the win. I want to see that again, as it's good viewing!!

and the last quarter of the Grand Final when he switched into the middle, tapped the ball to Jong several times and we stormed home.

jeemak
09-04-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm really happy for Ayce.

His preseason has been just about as good as it could have been, and after a good in-season hit out he gets his chance to show what he can do in the senior side.

I'd have stuck with Redpath, personally. Only a few senior games into a career as a key forward it's hard not to put in a sub-par performance, I mean really, the chances are you're going to play worse than otherwise in that situation.

He needs to go back and beat the door down.

boydogs
10-04-2015, 12:34 AM

Cordy is more mobile than Redpath

Redpath is unlucky to be dropped after one bad game, but it's good to see we are rewarding players for playing well in the VFL. It will drive a lot more competition for spots if players see that BOG in the VFL is a huge chance to get promoted

ratsmac
10-04-2015, 12:57 AM
Cordy in for Redpath can only mean one thing...... We are trying to expose Richmond's rucks!
Redpath is stiff to miss out but he was ordinary last week. Tom was much better but he costs a lot of money ;). I wonder if the same goes for every player meaning if you have an ordinary game you get dropped. It would keep things competitive that's for sure.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2015, 08:58 AM
I wonder if the same goes for every player meaning if you have an ordinary game you get dropped. It would keep things competitive that's for sure.

Plenty of players will be waiting in the wings for opportunity, so it makes sense that the younger players particularly may be shuffled in and out somewhat regularly, subject to form and our opposition.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2015, 08:58 AM
I wonder if the same goes for every player meaning if you have an ordinary game you get dropped. It would keep things competitive that's for sure.

Plenty of players will be waiting in the wings for opportunity, so it makes sense that the younger players particularly may be shuffled in and out somewhat regularly, subject to form and our opposition.

always right
10-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Pretty sure this selection is more about elevating Cordy than dropping Redpath.

LostDoggy
10-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Good change. I like it. Whenever Griffiths takes his turn in the ruck Minson/Cordy should be able to dominate him.

I wish Hrovat came into the side.

Maddog37
10-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Been a while since we were the team looking to exploit the opposition in the ruck!

LostDoggy
10-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Also great to see Webb named emergencey. Players like Goodes and JJ need to keep performing because he's banging the door down.

bornadog
10-04-2015, 10:38 AM
I have been thinking of the sub role and I just hope we don't do what we did to Gia and what Hawthorn do ie seem to have the same sub every week. In hindsight, Gia played too many sub games which didn't really help the onfield forwards. Although he did do some coaching while on the bench talking to players going on and off.

I would like to see Grant start on the ground and show us he can play and influence a game.

I guess Honey would be my choice of sub this week. Started beautifully last week but faded in the second half.

Mofra
10-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Been a while since we were the team looking to exploit the opposition in the ruck!
Been longer since we've exploited an opposition defence for height.
2 guys > 200cm, Stringer & Crammers at 191cm or so, Bonti resting at 192cm (some reports say 195cm) and either Grant or Dickson who are both capable overhead.

Jeez I can't wait until these guys have played a few more games together and they start to gel and get a system going.

bornadog
10-04-2015, 12:07 PM
2 guys > 200cm, Stringer & Crammers at 191cm or so, Bonti resting at 192cm (some reports say 195cm) and either Grant or Dickson who are both capable overhead.

Jeez I can't wait until these guys have played a few more games together and they start to gel and get a system going.

Bonti is 193cm

Mantis
10-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Bonti is 193cm

Where does this number come from?.. Our website has him at 192cm, but like Mofra have heard in reports that he is 195cm.

Greystache
10-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Where does this number come from?.. Our website has him at 192cm, but like Mofra have heard in reports that he is 195cm.

And he tested 194cm at the draft camp.

Greystache
10-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Cordy is more mobile than Redpath

Redpath is unlucky to be dropped after one bad game, but it's good to see we are rewarding players for playing well in the VFL. It will drive a lot more competition for spots if players see that BOG in the VFL is a huge chance to get promoted

Is he? He's certainly a lot slower, and neither are particularly agile for a key position player. Not sure about their respective tanks, but I wouldn't think it's a strength for either.

wimberga
10-04-2015, 12:35 PM

I watched that deplorable interview on the footy show last night.

Bonti was asked by the panel how tall he was and he said 193cm.

bornadog
10-04-2015, 12:48 PM

from Bonti on Footy show last night

Garry asked the Bont about how he's dealing with the hype, and pointed out that he's taller than Sam Newman at 193cm, so Sam gave him a little bit of stick. .

westdog54
10-04-2015, 12:58 PM
and the last quarter of the Grand Final when he switched into the middle, tapped the ball to Jong several times and we stormed home.

The one that set up Jones' third to get us within a kick was pure poetry.

Ozza
10-04-2015, 01:02 PM

...and just to confuse it more Bonti said he was 193 when on the footy show last night!

Mofra
10-04-2015, 02:00 PM
The website and other sources list him at 192cm, however Joel Corey mentioned in an interview with The Age he was 195cm (the number was quoted twice so definitely no typo).

I haven't seen so much discussion over an inch since Nick Dal Santo had naked pictures leaked!

boydogs
10-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Is he? He's certainly a lot slower, and neither are particularly agile for a key position player. Not sure about their respective tanks, but I wouldn't think it's a strength for either.

I thought he was more agile (changing direction) and quicker over the first 5 metres, which are keys when applying pressure

If I'm wrong I'm wrong :)

LostDoggy
10-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Found Hardwicks statement odd yesterday when he was discussing David Astbury and if he may return to the side

"It's one of those ones with match-ups. They've obviously got not a tall forward line the Bulldogs, and all our keys (defenders) played pretty well. But he'll certainly put his hand up to play"

Not a tall forward line? Righto...

wimberga
10-04-2015, 02:40 PM
According to the AFL, Matt McDonough has replaced David Astbury as a gameday emergency.

I wonder how the game will pan out defensively for them?

They really have Rance, Chaplin and Grimes with Batchelor as an undersized to take on Stringer, Boyd, Crameri & Cordy.

Hopefully Cordy & Boyd can really use their additional height to advantage.

F'scary
10-04-2015, 05:59 PM
I am applauding the promotion of the Ayce and the omission of the Widow-Maker. I do so not because I think Redders isn't up to AFL standard, I think he probably is, but because it sends an healthy message to the entire playing group that there is competition for spots. Noting that Tom Boyd played more than twice as well as Redpath did in terms of statistics, I don't think comparisons can be made between Boyd and Redpath last week that they had similar games...I know Repath was subbed at 3/4 time but on his 3/4 output he would still have been significantly behind Boyd on a straight line projection.

Templeton31
10-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Love this from Bevo today when getting sick of questions about Tommy B (Alex is Alex Rance)

"But he’s a big man Boydy and he’s a handful, so Alex will need to be on his game.’’

Just a sly confidence building comment. Go Dogs!!!!

bornadog
10-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Love this from Bevo today when getting sick of questions about Tommy B (Alex is Alex Rance)

"But he’s a big man Boydy and he’s a handful, so Alex will need to be on his game.’’

Just a sly confidence building comment. Go Dogs!!!!

Can they match up on two giants over 200cm in our forward line?

Mofra
10-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Can they match up on two giants over 200cm in our forward line?
Not sure the guys are a super threat overhead just yet, but given our crumbing power down there if we never let their tall defenders outmark us we will create more opportunities. We saw Stringer & Dahl & JJ crumb from our talls last week, so if we create a couple of extra goals from these contests (where we would have been outmarked last year) than for mine that's a win.

We're directing our entries to a 19 year old (Boyd) and our most exciting young player is 19 (Bonti) and our two other guns just signed extensions. It's weird to think after the summer we just had it's actually a good time to be a Bulldog!