PDA

View Full Version : What a GREAT banner

Pages : [1] 2 3

PedroArvy
04-04-2015, 08:22 PM
"If you think Tom Boyd cost the earth try buying a coffee in Perth"

What a stupid banner for our first game! What's a coffee in Perth worth $5, $6 and that somehow equals a multi million dollar deal?? It doesn't even make sense. Not to mention its insulting to us and completely uninspiring. How does this crap get past the marketing department? There's a million better alternatives. My 3 second invention:

"In 2015 our young Dogs will shine and tonight on Eagle's they'll dine"

bulldogtragic
04-04-2015, 08:31 PM
I missed seeing it. Glad I did, that makes no sense on a lot of levels.

F'scary
04-04-2015, 08:34 PM

What a stupid banner for our first game! What's a coffee in Perth worth $5, $6 and that somehow equals a multi million dollar deal?? It doesn't even make sense. Not to mention its insulting to us and completely uninspiring. How does this crap get past the marketing department? There's a million better alternatives. My 3 second invention:

I like the idea but they should have gone for something other than coffee. Perhaps "an indoor dunny" would have been better.

AndrewP6
04-04-2015, 08:59 PM
I personally think the idea of banners with slogans is old hat. Put the logo on there, that should be it.

bornadog
04-04-2015, 11:20 PM
I thought it was funny

LostDoggy
04-04-2015, 11:22 PM
I couldn't see it, Tom Boyd was in the way.

ReLoad
04-04-2015, 11:22 PM
How about "you think Tom Boyd was expensive, try a line of coke and a few years of rehab"

F'scary
04-04-2015, 11:29 PM
I was thinking of "You think Tom Boyd cost the Earth, try getting a good looking call girl in Perth"

(mining boom ironic comment, GVGjnr)

Danny the snakeman
04-04-2015, 11:41 PM

Lighten up.

boydogs
04-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Bit silly but I like our approach to put something funny and interesting on there instead of boring cliches

We're talking about it so in a way it worked

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Meh... who care, I like the intent, we're trying to do something different and I like that. I'm prepared to wear it if it misses the mark sometimes.

Remi Moses
04-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Tom Boyd will be able to buy Perth after the mining boom is over .

Throughandthrough
04-04-2015, 11:59 PM
I thought it was hilarious. And it pretty much lit up social media for a while. Great work by all involved. Love to see plenty more like it!

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Brilliant. Of course, you need to buy a coffee in perth to really get the joke.

BulldogBelle
05-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Don't agree with the OP, I liked it. The slogans about dog's barking, snarling and ripping the opponents up are tired and inspire little, so today's was refreshingly different.

SonofScray
05-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Had a chuckle at it. Fits the tone of recent efforts, keep up the good work.

hujsh
05-04-2015, 12:53 AM

There are these things called jokes...

Sometimes when people attempt these jokes you need to understand that they aren't to be taken literally but rather as comical exaggerations. How funny it is is debatable but for a footy banner in a professional competition it's fine.

Eastdog
05-04-2015, 12:54 AM
I chuckled a bit as well SOS. Yeah shouldn't be taken too seriously and its good to have some fun with the banners.

NoName
05-04-2015, 12:57 AM
I thought it was pretty funny - at the end of the day who actually pays attention to what is on the banner?

Scorlibo
05-04-2015, 01:00 AM
Agree, stupid banner. How is big Tom supposed to feel running through that with his teammates? No wonder he didn't impact the game until the last quarter.

ledge
05-04-2015, 01:09 AM
You do realise the club and AFL have to okay it and I thought it was quite funny , im sure Boyd would have had a giggle too.

G-Mo77
05-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Didn't they start these banners midway last season?

Maddog37
05-04-2015, 01:37 AM
At least it has people talking about it.......

AndrewP6
05-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Agree, stupid banner. How is big Tom supposed to feel running through that with his teammates? No wonder he didn't impact the game until the last quarter.

Because of the banner? Big call.

firstdogonthemoon
05-04-2015, 01:52 AM
Didn't see it, don't think it was HILARIOUS but it is dismissive of WA which is always a good idea. The club are going in a particular direction with the banners and I heartily approve. Remember these are the same people who came up with

Hot Dogs
Cold Pies
Luke Beveridge

which is one of the greatest banners of all time.

G-Mo77
05-04-2015, 01:55 AM
I remember reading about the guy that does these banners last year on one of the news sites. Here he is https://twitter.com/dannymcginlay

BulldogBelle
05-04-2015, 02:44 AM
Thought it was fantastic. Then again I'm probably one of the vast majority of light-hearted folk.

Danny the snakeman
05-04-2015, 02:47 AM
not another farken censor on this site. You will kill the site off, you and all the other farken censors.

Your all class mate.

Webby
05-04-2015, 02:48 AM
The miserly iron ore price got a few mentions tonight! "Back to subsidising WA, I suppose!"

Tied in with "Also sick of Doggies having to subsidise West Coast!"

Got a nibble, too!!

jeemak
05-04-2015, 03:41 AM
It wasn't really my cup of tea but not a lot is.

I'd hate to have the job of writing banner slogans for AFL teams, I mean, my job's hard but at least I don't have to be witty or funny doing it. I can be my regular boring, and cutting self and still get paid less than I think I'm worth without too many complaints.

These guys volunteer their time and have zero originality to work with over almost a 400 game season.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-04-2015, 08:19 AM
More to the point where is Woofa? Has he been replaced by the dancing "pack"?

always right
05-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Didn't think the message was particularly funny but like the intent. Perhaps the message should be on the back for the crowd's benefit and the players are faced with the Bulldogs emblem when they come out.

I'm old enough to remember when our banner had inspiring messages such as "Please" and "ring Marge for catering".

Daughter of the West
05-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Having bought coffees in Perth, I thought it was pretty funny. Although, with a Perth native for a husband, picking on WA is a bit of a pass time in my place...

ledge
05-04-2015, 09:27 AM
I think anyone can write the quote in the banner you just send it into the cheer squad and they choose the one they like the most that passes all the rules

The bulldog tragician
05-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Didn't think the message was particularly funny but like the intent. Perhaps the message should be on the back for the crowd's benefit and the players are faced with the Bulldogs emblem when they come out.

I'm old enough to remember when our banner had inspiring messages such as "Please" and "ring Marge for catering".
sometimes we were reduced to promoting local butchers or plumbers, however you can't go past the one in 97 PFS where we sent our sympathy to the royal family for the loss of Princess Di. What the hell!!

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 10:35 AM
I see the humor I just wonder what Boyd felt. He would be getting pretty sick of hearing the amount of money he will be on. I'm sure he didn't expect it from his own club. It was a bit strange and irrelevant.

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Here's an idea. Perhaps the Boyd contract is a big in house joke and the banner was a continuation of that plus a little dig at WA. Each to their own but maybe people need to lighten up a little

chef
05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Here's an idea. Perhaps the Boyd contract is a big in house joke and the banner was a continuation of that plus a little dig at WA. Each to their own but maybe people need to lighten up a little

Agree, I'm sure he gets ribbed about it all the time from his team mates. Part and parcel of a team environment.

Some people need to just realax and have a laugh

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Instead of making it the elephant in the room, accept it won't go away and embrace it with light hearted humour

F'scary
05-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Your all class mate.

Now that was a really funny comment on your part but I am not sure you can see the humour in it.

But yeah, not one of my greatest efforts. I was cheesed off with one of the mod's underhanded tactics on another thread - a deliberate misconstrual without a right of reply. Having had a few match day drinks, I lashed out at what I perceived to be another shouting down of someone daring to express an opinion that wasn't mind-numbingly, boringly safe. Rereading, I was being heavy handed, so sorry to the poster of "lighten up."

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't really have a problem with it I was just wondering what Boyd was thinking. Maybe you're right, maybe it is a big joke but there is no problem having a problem with it either.

F'scary
05-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Instead of making it the elephant in the room, accept it won't go away and embrace it with light hearted humour

For me, it wasn't the Boyd part, it was the tag that didn't satisfy. There isn't enough put down in a jibe about expensive coffee.

F'scary
05-04-2015, 12:28 PM
There are these things called jokes...

Sometimes when people attempt these jokes you need to understand that they aren't to be taken literally but rather as comical exaggerations. How funny it is is debatable but for a footy banner in a professional competition it's fine.

They could have gone a wee-bit further with the jibe. But that is the times we live in and I take your meaning.

mjp
05-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I live in Perth and buy coffee here every day. I thought it was funny (and sadly true).

Topdog
05-04-2015, 01:00 PM
It got 44 posts talking about it on here. Pretty successful as a banner I'd say

chef
05-04-2015, 01:12 PM
How much is a coffee in Perth?

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 03:29 PM
How much is a coffee in Perth?

About 50c more than in Victoria.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/08/what-your-daily-coffee-costs-around-australia/

mjp
05-04-2015, 03:36 PM
About 50c more than in Victoria.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/08/what-your-daily-coffee-costs-around-australia/

Not meaning to be critical of the 'Life Hacker', but even a long black is $5 at most Perth establishments...if you want a milk based coffee you are looking at $6.

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Not meaning to be critical of the 'Life Hacker', but even a long black is $5 at most Perth establishments...if you want a milk based coffee you are looking at $6.

I would be critical of life hacker it's the first and only place I looked! No time for serious scientific investigation.

The following article from 2 years ago suggests some outlets are charging over $7.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/dollar-cup-of-coffee-are-we-paying-too-much/story-fneuz92c-1226613029204

It seems Perth is just more expensive full stop.

EasternWest
05-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Hot Dogs
Cold Pies
Luke Beveridge

which is one of the greatest banners of all time.

I didn't see that. But I love it.

josie
05-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Wealthy friend in Perth said to me one of the reasons she loves visiting Melb is the coffee is better and cheaper.

I loved the banner and I'm sore Tom Boyd had a chuckle too.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Both footy shows showed and mentioned the creator by name. So I guess, he and the club would say it was a success.

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Both footy shows showed and mentioned the creator by name. So I guess, he and the club would say it was a success.

Did it sell our brand?

bulldogtragic
05-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Did it sell our brand?

Both panels thought it was funny, so I guess so.

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Both panels thought it was funny, so I guess so.

Ok cool so it was a positive.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I thought it was funny. Like any humour each to their own.

Danny the snakeman
06-04-2015, 03:18 AM
Rereading, I was being heavy handed, so sorry to the poster of "lighten up."

All sweet mate, have been on the end of heavy handed mods myself from other forums.

Chicago1
06-04-2015, 03:48 AM
I liked it. After suffering a year of my life in Perth in 1989, any kind of put down of Perth is OK with me. :p

Remi Moses
06-04-2015, 03:56 AM
I would have made reference to the dramas of their ex players .
Little to edgy though :D;)

jeemak
06-04-2015, 03:59 AM
I would have made reference to the dramas of their ex players .
Little to edgy though :D;)

Could you imagine that!

Tom Boyd's contract is out of control and jacked up, but............

So on and so forth.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 07:17 AM

I see the humor I just wonder what Boyd felt. He would be getting pretty sick of hearing the amount of money he will be on. I'm sure he didn't expect it from his own club. It was a bit strange and irrelevant.

If he can't handle a little ribbing about being a million dollar player after 9 games of football, he really shouldn't have signed the contract. In an ideal world he'll be given time and patience to grow into his body and his place in the team. We do NOT live in an ideal world. He has about three years max to win the Coleman before the Facebook Fans unite and start burning effigies. There were already plenty of FB posts about him being a waste of money for only kicking one goal on Saturday night.

Banners are the least of the kids problems.

Twodogs
06-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Either of you boys been out to Footscray anytime in the last 20 years? That's a fight we can't win.

Topdog
06-04-2015, 09:36 AM
WB put the banner up on their facebook page. Well over 2000 likes. I'd say the club would be very very happy with the banner.

hujsh
06-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Now that was a really funny comment on your part but I am not sure you can see the humour in it.

But yeah, not one of my greatest efforts. I was cheesed off with one of the mod's underhanded tactics on another thread - a deliberate misconstrual without a right of reply. Having had a few match day drinks, I lashed out at what I perceived to be another shouting down of someone daring to express an opinion that wasn't mind-numbingly, boringly safe. Rereading, I was being heavy handed, so sorry to the poster of "lighten up."

I assumed you were being sarcastic.

Like you were taking the piss out of one of those 'here comes the human rights brigade' or 'I'm tired of everyone being "politically correct"' people.

BulldogBelle
06-04-2015, 04:14 PM

I thought that it was quite funny.

I spent the last 27 years in Perth, just returning less than a year ago. A coffee can cost $7, $8 in the city, maybe more now.

I thought that it was well-known that in Perth a cup of coffee was the most expensive in Australia. The West-Coasters would understand it and have a chuckle.

F'scary
06-04-2015, 06:01 PM
I assumed you were being sarcastic.

Like you were taking the piss out of one of those 'here comes the human rights brigade' or 'I'm tired of everyone being "politically correct"' people.

I liked the point you made in your comment "Sometimes when people attempt these jokes you need to understand that they aren't to be taken literally but rather as comical exaggerations. How funny it is is debatable but for a footy banner in a professional competition it's fine." As I understood it, you were referring to how sanitised anything appearing on a contemporary banner would have to be in this day and age.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 10:16 PM
The 'Hot Pies...' one was used in the NAB Challenge against Collingwood. I thought it was superb and wasted on a NAB Challenge game!!!
Also liked the one about coffee on Saturday night and had a chuckle.

hujsh
07-04-2015, 12:28 AM
I liked the point you made in your comment "Sometimes when people attempt these jokes you need to understand that they aren't to be taken literally but rather as comical exaggerations. How funny it is is debatable but for a footy banner in a professional competition it's fine." As I understood it, you were referring to how sanitised anything appearing on a contemporary banner would have to be in this day and age.

The last part? Not wanting to offend is one part of it but it's also a pretty limited format and put together by amateurs. I'm sure it could be funny without being offensive but a footy club has other priorities

Topdog
07-04-2015, 08:39 AM
The last part? Not wanting to offend is one part of it but it's also a pretty limited format and put together by amateurs. I'm sure it could be funny without being offensive but a footy club has other priorities

It's not really put together by an amateur

LostDoggy
07-04-2015, 11:35 AM
I found it funny, my girlfriend found it funny, the West Coast supporters I was near found it funny. What a disaster!

dadsgirl16
07-04-2015, 12:26 PM
I found it funny...can't understand the angst really

LostDoggy
07-04-2015, 01:07 PM
I found it funny...can't understand the angst really

Agree!

All media has been talking about re: Boyd is how much it cost us to secure the deal, glad we can have fun with it.

Next weeks banner suggestions?

Ghost Dog
07-04-2015, 01:44 PM
No Words. Just a massive Bulldog with the opposition between its teeth.

Before I Die
07-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I haven't read every post so I apologise if this has already been said. The question for me is 'what is the purpose of the banner?'

Is it to celebrate the entry of the team onto the ground or is it to create a few smiles in the crowd? Personally I would be happy with a simple 'Go Dogs' each week. Or a banner of red, white and blue stripes and of much smaller proportions with no words. But then that is me. The mate I was with thought it was very humorous.

If the requirement is that it rhymes, doesn't offend and is a little bit quirky, then the banner on Saturday was spot on.

Perhaps we could put in a WOOF request for a haiku banner next week.

hujsh
07-04-2015, 09:39 PM
It's not really put together by an amateur

That's the impression I got from earlier comments. My apologies to the professional if I'm mistaken

LostDoggy
07-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Agree!

All media has been talking about re: Boyd is how much it cost us to secure the deal, glad we can have fun with it.

Next weeks banner suggestions?

Could it incorporate maybe something to do with one N.Brown coming back to the rising doggies and not the declining tiggers?

Before I Die
08-04-2015, 12:51 AM
Perhaps we could put in a WOOF request for a haiku banner next week.

The Dogs are barking
Memories of 54
September beckons

Ozza
08-04-2015, 10:46 AM
The banner has been highlighted on social media, on 'Bounce' on Fox Footy....and created 6 pages of talk here - which is roughly 6 pages more than a banner has been spoken about ever!

I'd say it served its purpose.

I couldn't give two hoots about the banner, the cheer squad or whether we even have either of them. But if you have them - they may as well get noticed!

craigsahibee
08-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Here's my crack at this weeks banner

"If you can read this our players haven't entered the field yet"

Greystache
08-04-2015, 11:13 AM
The banner has been highlighted on social media, on 'Bounce' on Fox Footy....and created 6 pages of talk here - which is roughly 6 pages more than a banner has been spoken about ever!

I'd say it served its purpose.

I couldn't give two hoots about the banner, the cheer squad or whether we even have either of them. But if you have them - they may as well get noticed!

It was on Fox's The Back Page last night too, and to get them talking about something that's not Sydney centric is quite a feat. Of course they then showed the one from last year about the West Gate bridge and crapped on about how much better Sydney is :rolleyes:

soupman
08-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Keep doing these joke banners please.

Prior to the current writer I can barely think of a single banner that was even mildly interesting.

I'd much rather something slightly stupid or humorous than some generic rhyming phrase filled with puns.

This is the most interesting banners have been all my life.

SonofScray
08-04-2015, 06:24 PM
These banners are dripping with relevance.

Look at how relevant we are! The media can't get enough of it.

LostDoggy
08-04-2015, 09:25 PM
I thought that it was quite funny.

I spent the last 27 years in Perth, just returning less than a year ago. A coffee can cost $7, $8 in the city, maybe more now.

I thought that it was well-known that in Perth a cup of coffee was the most expensive in Australia. The West-Coasters would understand it and have a chuckle.
Someone has to compensate the coffee beans for putting up with WA.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Did anyone get a photo of the banner from this week?

Testekill
12-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Did anyone get a photo of the banner from this week?

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=600&stc=1

Seriously, our banners own now.

SlimPickens
12-04-2015, 12:14 PM

Very good. Love it.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks Testekill. Great banner.

Smads57
12-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Had a real good chuckle when I read the banner this week while at the ground - was hoping to see a crowd reaction when they turned the banner to face the Richmond faithful...upon reflection, there might have been a few placed in the microwave last evening and the 60 second timer set....

LostDoggy
12-04-2015, 09:31 PM

Gold!

BulldogBelle
13-04-2015, 08:30 AM
l reckon a few might have gone in the microwave after that game!

GVGjr
13-04-2015, 07:01 PM
l reckon a few might have gone in the microwave after that game!

Not so sure but a work colleague isn't keen to keep going to the games this season. He loves the club but is frustrated by the promise of better things ahead never materializing.

westdog54
13-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Not so sure but a work colleague isn't keen to keep going to the games this season. He loves the club but is frustrated by the promise of better things ahead never materializing.

He does know you're a Bulldogs supporter, right?

GVGjr
13-04-2015, 07:32 PM

He's a good guy and I didn't have the heart to point that out to him :)

Throughandthrough
13-04-2015, 07:33 PM

Took me three reads to realise that your colleague was a Richmond fan, I thought he was a dogs fan at first! #confused

GVGjr
13-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Took me three reads to realise that your colleague was a Richmond fan, I thought he was a dogs fan at first! #confused

Sorry I was responding to the mentioning of the microwave in the banner and assumed everyone would know he is a Tigers supporters.

LostDoggy
13-04-2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the banner. Wondered what was on it as we only saw the back of it where I was sitting. Tigers banner was in the way. They are too close to each other at the 'G'

bornadog
13-04-2015, 11:34 PM

GVGjr does wear his scarf and cap to work.:D

Go_Dogs
14-04-2015, 08:45 AM
GVGjr does wear his scarf and cap to work.:D

I'm picturing something like the #bemorebulldog advertisements. :)

Sedat
14-04-2015, 11:31 AM
I love what we are doing with our banners this season and late last year - sections of the media have already started taking notice of it and are anticipating what we'll do next. Such a very simple but effective method to garner fantastic additional PR for the club.

The Adelaide Connection
14-04-2015, 02:16 PM
I love what we are doing with our banners this season and late last year - sections of the media have already started taking notice of it and are anticipating what we'll do next. Such a very simple but effective method to garner fantastic additional PR for the club.

Totally agree. Much better than the same old "we will come out snarling" style banner.

I think this week we should have a light hearted dig at Hawthorn's terrible colours or at Lake (maybe he had a funny bad habit around the club that we could thank Hawthorn for taking off of our hands).

On the former, I would love to see it as a giant meme. Such as:

Greystache
14-04-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm picturing something like the #bemorebulldog advertisements. :)

Which for those who don't know is the same guy who writes the banners.

westdog54
14-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Sorry I was responding to the mentioning of the microwave in the banner and assumed everyone would know he is a Tigers supporters.

I just found it amusing that anyone was complaining to a Bulldogs supporter on better things ahead never materalising.

The Adelaide Connection
24-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Thought last weeks banner was a backward step. For those that didn't see it it was "get some hawk on your fork" which is also a ripoff of a banner I remember from the first ever crows game (and it made a lot more sense at the time because the "get some pork on your fork" was heavily used on TV at the time).

Bulldogtragic had a great idea that I saw on another thread: a giant FDOTM cartoon. That would be something!

Daughter of the West
24-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Maybe for the Crows -

Roses are red
Crows are black
The bullies will smash ya
So #gatherthepack!

craigsahibee
24-04-2015, 02:02 PM
What about "Dear People of Adelaide, try our water. It's lovely"

always right
24-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Perhaps...."Welcome to 2015".

F'scary
24-04-2015, 07:32 PM
How about:

Dear Adelaide
We rate you so poorly
That we're resting Minson
And playing Ayce Cordy

Greystache
24-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Adelaide... So much more than half an hour behind.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/.a/6a00e0097e4e6888330133f2c98ea9970b-200wi http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/09/19/1226477/124859-josh-hand.jpg

SonofScray
24-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Adelaide. Double denim. It's back. You're cool again.

Go_Dogs
24-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Come on all, Adelaide isn't that bad of a place!

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 10:28 PM
How about:

Dear Adelaide
We rate you so poorly
That we're resting Minson
And playing Ayce Cordy

GOLD!!!

CHAMPAGNE COMEDY!!!

Love it ;)

LostDoggy
24-04-2015, 10:34 PM
What about:

Stone the Crows,

Adelaide Blows.

KT31
25-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Hate to be stick in the mud, but how about this week we have a rememberance banner.

Avoid the rush
25-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Hey adelaide......in ya face
we're so confident
we're rucking ayce !!!

LostDoggy
25-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Hate to be stick in the mud, but how about this week we have a rememberance banner.

" We caught the torch they threw
And proudly holding high, we keep the Faith

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them "

Combination of Moina Michael and Laurence Binyon

Ghost Dog
25-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Adelaide... So much more than half an hour behind.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/.a/6a00e0097e4e6888330133f2c98ea9970b-200wi http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/09/19/1226477/124859-josh-hand.jpg

Well, we had one classic of our own. Danny Southern :) Master of the Mullet.

bornadog
25-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Come on all, Adelaide isn't that bad of a place!

Best view of Adelaide is from the rear vision mirror. :D

G-Mo77
26-04-2015, 12:28 PM

Pretty sure all games are doing that this week.

ReLoad
26-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Barring an Anzac day message how about:

"Adelaide FC, worth 10c when recycled."

Or maybe one for when we play the Crows or Port over there next:

"Welcome to Adelaide where the local time is 1973"

AndrewP6
26-04-2015, 06:05 PM
The guy who writes the banner hosted in the Social Club today. Bring back Kevin Hillier.

BulldogBelle
26-04-2015, 06:57 PM
I thought he started nervous but did great.

KT31
26-04-2015, 07:01 PM
The guy who writes the banner hosted in the Social Club today. Bring back Kevin Hillier.
Was it because he was offering Woofer rides and free face painting ?:D

Did anyone get a shot of the banner this week ?

Axe Man
27-04-2015, 03:47 PM

I thought he was good. Just a bit of harmless light entertainment.

Did anyone get a shot of the banner this week ?

I didn't take a picture but both sides were ANZAC related, no comedy this week.

Throughandthrough
27-04-2015, 03:51 PM

We got it, you don't like his style of humour. Point taken and dismissed.

ledge
27-04-2015, 04:53 PM
He was very good I thought

bornadog
27-04-2015, 05:04 PM
He was very good I thought

I thought he was better than Kevin.

Prince Imperial
27-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Heard a bit of him and thought he did well. A good banner I thought this week of "real heroes don't wear capes" IIRC.

KT31
27-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Heard a bit of him and thought he did well. A good banner I thought this week of "real heroes don't wear capes" IIRC.

What about the nurses who served ?;)

AndrewP6
27-04-2015, 07:30 PM
We got it, you don't like his style of humour. Point taken and dismissed.

How very mature of you. So only opinions you agree with are allowed? What nonsense.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 07:33 PM
How very mature of you. So only opinions you agree with are allowed? What nonsense.

Well, it's humour. Technically you're both wrong. :P

dukedog
27-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Adelaide. Double denim. It's back. You're cool again.
bahahaha. classic.

Flamethrower
29-05-2015, 02:02 AM
Suggest some banners for the grudge match against the Great Waste of $.....

Giants wear Orange
Griffen should wear Yella
Got themselves a Coward
When they poached that fella

Twodogs
29-05-2015, 02:23 AM
Suggest some banners for the grudge match against the Great Waste of $.....

Giants wear Orange
Griffen should wear Yella
Got themselves a Coward
When they poached that fella

Orange is the New Crap.

Maddog37
29-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Chalk and chees
Giants and dogs
One club has history
One club has flogs.

Axe Man
29-05-2015, 11:23 AM
The banner from the game on the weekend.
http://s23.postimg.org/h8chbmz3f/Bulldogs_Melbourne_Banner.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/e1hxs0enb/full/)
It's not the best photo but it says:
Slaying Demons
Just Like Buffy
It's Easy
We've Got Roughy

bornadog
29-05-2015, 11:33 AM
http://s23.postimg.org/h8chbmz3f/Bulldogs_Melbourne_Banner.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/e1hxs0enb/full/)
Slaying Demons
Just Like Buffy
It's Easy
We've Got Roughy

Bit lame last week.

Twodogs
29-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Slaying Demons
Just Like Buffy
It's Easy
We've Got Roughy

Bit lame last week.

I don't mind it.

Sedat
29-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Orange is the New Crap.
So simple yet so beautiful. Come on Danny, do it!

bornadog
29-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Orange is the New Crap.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAMKAZtUQAAp7iX.jpg:large

bornadog
29-05-2015, 03:54 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/ORANGE_zpsbvz6jog9.jpeg

With his new team mates

Throughandthrough
29-05-2015, 04:01 PM
for those playing at home, in these weeks episode of Australia's best Comedy Podcast "The little dum dum club" , Meshel Laurie and Danny McGinlay are the guests.

iTunes or direct from here http://dumdumclub.libsyn.com/

There's a running conversation throughout the podcast where they keep discussing Danny's banners, and a few that were rejected, etc etc. Well worth a listen. (ALso a challenge on there to try and get a few key words on the banner)

bornadog
31-05-2015, 01:28 AM
Great banner tonight. I need to see the replay again and write it down but was very funny

Throughandthrough
31-05-2015, 02:13 AM
Best ever!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7766/18242627566_2d9d520d82_c.jpg

jeemak
31-05-2015, 02:16 AM
Awesome.

Twodogs
31-05-2015, 02:53 AM
Gorrange rhymes with orange, they could have worked that in.

"Try to recruit Daniel Gorrange"

jeemak
31-05-2015, 03:10 AM
Gorrange rhymes with orange, they could have worked that in.

"Try to recruit Daniel Gorrange"

That would have made it more abstract, especially considering the spelling issues! :)

Twodogs
31-05-2015, 04:29 AM
That would have made it more abstract, especially considering the spelling issues! :)

Oops. I should not try and spell names like Gorringe from memory!

Anyway on QI a while ago they said that the only word that rhymed with Orange was Gorringe and then proceeded to talk about some Victorian (era not state) dingbat that did something or other amongst much guffawing. And now there's another.

westdog54
31-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Oops. I should not try and spell names like Gorringe from memory!

Anyway on QI a while ago they said that the only word that rhymed with Orange was Gorringe and then proceeded to talk about some Victorian (era not state) dingbat that did something or other amongst much guffawing. And now there's another.

You mean this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvOBxZdOYg

First thing that came to mind when I read the banner.

Axe Man
01-06-2015, 10:55 AM
For those that didn't see the banner on Saturday:
http://s21.postimg.org/xpgykyzbr/Bulldogs_GWS_Banner.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Ghost Dog
01-06-2015, 10:59 AM
I like these. Quirky, makes you look forward to what it will be each week. Other banners are so samey.

Twodogs
01-06-2015, 01:13 PM
You mean this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvOBxZdOYg

First thing that came to mind when I read the banner.

"My prep school tailors were called Gorringe" There's no reason why that's funny in itself but Fry is one of the funniest people on Earth.

Maddog37
01-06-2015, 10:06 PM
I like them. It sets our club apart and we will not succeed unless our brand offers something new and entertaining to the masses.

bornadog
27-07-2015, 12:10 AM
Another great Banner
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK13mVBUYAAJv96.jpg:large

Twodogs
27-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Nice. Very droll.

bornadog
27-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Nice. Very droll.

I haven't got a photo of it but the one for last week read something like:

"Congratulations to Dale 200 games and 2000 goals prevented".

KT31
27-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Bar the Beveridges its been done numerous times over the years, not to original.

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Got a definite sense of déjÃ* vu with this one!

bornadog
27-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Bar the Beveridges its been done numerous times over the years, not to original.

What I liked was Hot, Cold, Luke

Greystache
27-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Another great Banner
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK13mVBUYAAJv96.jpg:large

This was the banner from the NAB cup, not yesterday.

Yesterday's had congratulation Matthew Boyd 250+3 games.

Axe Man
27-07-2015, 10:46 AM

I guess Minson, Cordy, Tom Boyd and Honeychurch in that photo gives it away!

BornInDroopSt'54
27-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks 'stache/Assange from preventing the powers that be, Bornadog, from taking advantage of WOOFERS simple innocence, coddled in the glow of an historic Bulldogs win over Collingwood.

bornadog
27-07-2015, 12:22 PM

Whoops my bad.

bornadog
27-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks 'stache/Assange from preventing the powers that be, Bornadog, from taking advantage of WOOFERS simple innocence, coddled in the glow of an historic Bulldogs win over Collingwood.

I was just too excited getting the win. :D

Twodogs
27-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Well I like the Keithy Boyd banner too!

Sedat
27-07-2015, 12:43 PM
When Peter Moore left Collingwood for Melbourne, the Pies banner when he first played against them was "No Moore Filth". Now that Darcy Moore is playing for them, perhaps they can make the banner "Moore Filth" next week?

bornadog
11-08-2015, 04:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL28nMXUkAAXEqb.jpg

chef
11-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Got a heap of laughs. Excellent.

LostDoggy
11-08-2015, 11:32 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/cl28nmxukaaxeqb.jpg
gold !!!! ;)

Greystache
12-08-2015, 11:04 AM
A number of people around me commented on this week's banner. It was a good mix of funny and childish.

bornadog
05-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Comedian Danny McGinlay brings something to new to Bulldogs banners: humour (http://www.smh.com.au/national/comedian-danny-mcginlay-brings-something-to-new-to-bulldogs-banners-humour-20150903-gje1ay)

http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/j/e/g/p/g/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.gje1ay.png/1441384390182.jpg

"It didn't even rhyme," says Danny McGinlay, a local comedian, whose droll wit has turned a very Melbourne ritual – football's run-through banner – on its head.
No place for humour in a corporate game? Think again.

Halfway through last year and with his team, the Bulldogs, on a losing streak, the message on his club's banner was so banal that McGinlay took a photograph and posted it on social media.
It read: WE ARE HERE TO DO OUR BEST / SO VICTORY WILL BE OURS.
Playing the Brisbane Lions at home on a Saturday night, the Doggies lost – again.
By Monday morning, McGinlay had called Whitten Oval to spruik his wares. He had worked as a writer and the warm-up guy for a TV comedy panel show, Before the Game. He loved footy and his business was funny lines.

The Western Bulldogs were to play Port Adelaide, for the first time at Adelaide Oval, and over the phone he was asked for his best throwaway line.
"Undefeated at Adelaide Oval," he replied. "Be afraid, Port Adelaide."
Two weeks later, his two-liner was raised in Adelaide before 34,258 spectators in large red and blue capitalised letters on white fabric, and a new chapter in the parochial history of the run-through was written. The visitors lost by 73 points, but their opening quip won over the crowd.

Fast forward to last Saturday night, when the Bulldogs defeated North's old shinboners, and McGinlay pre-game quip put the idea of "osso bucco" on the game's centre stage.
Earlier this year against Greater Western Sydney, his banner bon mot posed the most fundamental of football questions: what rhymes with orange?

"The banners get more social media traction than any joke or gig I've ever done," McGinlay says.
As seasons now turn, with the spring blossom perfume in the air and football's regular calendar coming to an end, the Bulldogs this afternoon again play Brisbane and a football fairy tale beckons. From blue collar battlers, they've become the competition's great entertainers.

Most neutral barrackers hope their story has the happiest of endings in early October, just as McGinlay's banner gags have each week given fans the happiest of beginnings.
"It took a while for us to get his humour," says Sue Dyson, 59, a retired teacher from Pakenham and a Bulldogs' cheer squad regular.

Each Thursday night during the football season, you'll find Dyson in a sports hall at Footscray North Primary School, among the dedicated few, affixing his lines to a fabric banner to the chorus of pulled sticky tape rolls.
"It creates a lot of discussion. Some of the elderly ladies who sit near me don't get his wit, so we do have to explain what it means."
Certainly, McGinlay has reinterpreted the role of the run-through in a city's home-grown game, and its possibilities.
"There's an old adage in comedy: Don't just make the comedians up the back laugh. You've got to make the whole room laugh," he says.

That is, he plays to the crowd – the many tens of thousands in the stalls – rather than the 22 footballers running onto the stage.
His banner jokes have more than a cult following and have reinvigorated a local arts and craft custom that's been part of the game since at least the 1939 Grand Final between Collingwood and Melbourne.

As the Sporting Globe of the day reported: "The respective races were decorated with club colours" [in a paper lattice so low] "umpire Coward on visiting the Collingwood room had to crawl on his hands and knees for fear of breaking [the art work]."
Rob Hess, a sports historian at Victoria University, says banners ever since have measured grassroots participation in a game made popular initially by inner-suburban rivalries in late 19th century Melbourne.

"The occasionally controversial nature of the pithy messages on run-throughs has often been a barometer of the contested social terrain that's always been part of spectator culture in Australian Rules football."
Next week, McGinlay, who was born in Preston to migrant parents, will turn words for his footy club which, in their high flying ways, now find themselves at the season's business end. This is no laughing matter. Or is it?
Bob Murphy, the Western Bulldogs captain, for one, says since McGinlay has written their banners, he now reads them before running through them: "They make me grin."

For both the barracker and the footballer, in a raised banner there is a succinct moment when both are as one: on the grass together, experiencing a flurry of emotions before a game and the naked truth of its contest.
"When you're coming up that race to the banner, it's the best and worst thing about football," Murphy says. "You're in fight or flight mode. There's an incredible loneliness, but in the same breath there's also a profound togetherness, a physical release for the battle about to begin."

Scraggers
05-09-2015, 03:30 PM

This week's banner

craigsahibee
07-09-2015, 10:49 AM
The response from the Lions was first class

chef
10-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Matt and Alex just had Danny on the J's. What a legend and a very funny man.

NoName
10-09-2015, 03:37 PM
I wonder what the banner will be for this weeks match - hopefully there is no mention of 97 / 98....

Twodogs
10-09-2015, 08:38 PM
I just heard Danny on 774 and he is genuinly funny. I pretty much hate everybody but this guy is good!

bornadog
25-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Dan's Banner suggestions for tonight

For Freo:

TWO FLIGHTS TO PERTH
WHAT A TIRING TRIP!
IT STILL DOESN'T EXPLAIN WHY
YOU WEAR THAT *!*!*!*!ED AWAY STRIP

For Hawthorn:

WE MUST STOP THE DOCKERS
SEND THEIR FANS HOME CRYIN
TO PREVENT ANOTHER GRAND FINAL
FEATURING ROSS LYON

Throughandthrough
29-01-2016, 12:20 AM
Good news. Danny McGinlay is writing the banners again this season.

Murphy'sLore
29-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Yesssss!
Love Danny's banners.

dadsgirl16
29-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Good news! I spoke to him at Social Club function...nice guy and I love dry wit

Greystache
29-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Good news. Even opposition supporters like them.

bornadog
29-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Good news! I spoke to him at Social Club function...nice guy and I love dry wit

He did a great job as the MC that night

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Wonder if his banners might have had a small contribution to the way we played last year as well?
Give the players a bit of a chuckle,release any tension build up before the game and play free spirited and with gay abandon?;)

Bulldog4life
01-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Wonder if his banners might have had a small contribution to the way we played last year as well?
Give the players a bit of a chuckle,release any tension build up before the game and play free spirited and with gay abandon?;)

Bevo has been known to crack a joke to the players before a game too.

Throughandthrough
24-03-2016, 04:00 PM
http://dannymcginlay.tumblr.com/

bornadog
24-03-2016, 04:04 PM
http://dannymcginlay.tumblr.com/

Some fantastic banners, can't wait to see this years.

Greystache
24-03-2016, 04:25 PM
The Fremantle and Richmond ones are favourites, but I think the Port banner was the best one.

Greystache
24-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Also thought it was time for a name change for this thread :D

Axe Man
31-03-2016, 12:37 PM
http://s30.postimg.org/8rh9b84fl/12803083_1034244826647325_2635526485972374905_n.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the banner on Sunday read:
EASTER SUNDAY
PERFECT DAY FOR THE
RETURN OF THE SON
WELCOME BACK
LIBBA!

Great start to the banner season!

bornadog
07-04-2016, 10:41 AM
http://41.media.tumblr.com/51e4fd28e0086c4605b7adbbb763743a/tumblr_o56w99LV5d1v463zzo1_500.jpg

Murphy'sLore
07-04-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm guessing that one wasn't from Danny McGinlay.

bornadog
07-04-2016, 11:08 AM
I'm guessing that one wasn't from Danny McGinlay.

Yes it is his. I believe he does all of them.

Murphy'sLore
07-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Hm... well, either it's incredibly sophisticated and I don't get it, or he was having an off day!

bornadog
07-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Hm... well, either it's incredibly sophisticated and I don't get it, or he was having an off day!

I think with Riewoldt's 300 he had to be respectful.

Murphy'sLore
07-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Oh yeah, that's true, and it was Maddie's match too, wasn't it. Okay, back in my box...

bornadog
07-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Oh yeah, that's true, and it was Maddie's match too, wasn't it. Okay, back in my box...

The rejected banner :D (his words not mine)

Congrats Big Nick!You really are too much!

But we all know in the 09 prelim

Your 'winning goal' was touched

Murphy'sLore
07-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Ha ha, yes, that's more what I've come to expect from Danny :D

Greystache
16-04-2016, 08:14 PM
This week's

It's a Saturday night
That explains the midstrength Carlton

Obviously Danny's back :D

westdog54
16-04-2016, 09:52 PM
This week's

It's a Saturday night
That explains the midstrength Carlton

Obviously Danny's back :D

He's hit this one out of the stadium.

LostDoggy
17-04-2016, 01:07 AM
Champgne Comedy :)

bornadog
23-04-2016, 08:20 PM
What are your legs
steel springs
what are they going to do
out run the Lions

lest we forget

EasternWest
23-04-2016, 08:36 PM
What are your legs
steel springs
out run the Lions

lest we forget

That is a great banner.

Murphy'sLore
23-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Certainly not out kicking them tonight.

westdog54
23-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Brilliant work. #gallipoli #brilliantmovie #yesiknowihashtagged #dealwithit

ledge
24-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Anyone see the banner about the dogfather some guy is holding up with a Mohawk ?
I have a photo of it but it won't upload, says its to big a file so if anyone has a photo please put it up, I'm thinking it might make the tv broadcast at some stage if it already hasn't.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Anyone see the banner about the dogfather some guy is holding up with a Mohawk ?
I have a photo of it but it won't upload, says its to big a file so if anyone has a photo please put it up, I'm thinking it might make the tv broadcast at some stage if it already hasn't.

Saw a pic of it this morning. Good effort.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2016, 10:18 AM
What are your legs
steel springs
out run the Lions

lest we forget

For the younger folks, it's a (in the end a tragic) reference to a quote in the Australian movie Gallipoli with Mel Gibson.

westdog54
24-04-2016, 10:31 AM
And it bookends the film rather nicely

SonofScray
24-04-2016, 10:56 AM
I thought it was the actual quote for a moment, then chuckled at the liberties being taken.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 05:18 PM

Funny guy Mr Mohawk, sits in the next section from me. Has bags of lollies and gives to kids and also gets some chants going.

KT31
26-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Funny guy Mr Mohawk, sits in the next section from me. Has bags of lollies and gives to kids and also gets some chants going.

I'm assuming he is not an ex-Woof poster ?

bornadog
26-04-2016, 06:19 PM
I'm assuming he is not an ex-Woof poster ?

No not him.

bornadog
01-05-2016, 03:10 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/29/14/33A7110D00000578-0-image-m-35_1461935299976.jpg

Templeton31
01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Gold!

Axe Man
09-05-2016, 11:01 AM
http://s32.postimg.org/g9acxrf5x/Ch2_Odp_Uo_AQ_u_B5_jpg_large.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Rejected Banners:

Tonight's tactics: Stringer full back, Dahlhaus to ruck, 16 deep forwards. Shhhhhh!

Anybody ring their brother this week??

Drunken Bum
09-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Shame the rejected one didn't get up, kinda wish the club had stirred the pot a bit with that

Happy Days
09-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Shame the rejected one didn't get up, kinda wish the club had stirred the pot a bit with that

What did it say?

Murphy'sLore
09-05-2016, 11:58 AM
See above :)

always right
09-05-2016, 01:30 PM
http://s32.postimg.org/g9acxrf5x/Ch2_Odp_Uo_AQ_u_B5_jpg_large.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Rejected Banners:

Tonight's tactics: Stringer full back, Dahlhaus to ruck, 16 deep forwards. Shhhhhh!

Anybody ring their brother this week??

Are these your work or were they genuinely options considered? Love them both.

bornadog
09-05-2016, 01:36 PM

They are Dan's.

Dan was MC in the social club on Saturday night - very funny guy.

He interviewed Hrovat and Dad. One question was do any of you have brothers playing for Adelaide tonight.:D

Axe Man
09-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Lol, no not mine. They are Danny McGinlay's from his Twitter. Link (https://twitter.com/dannymcginlay?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr% 5Eauthor)

always right
09-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Lol, no not mine. They are Danny McGinlay's from his Twitter. Link (https://twitter.com/dannymcginlay?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr% 5Eauthor)

Thanks...now following him.

ratsmac
09-05-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm not embarrassed to admit that I had no idea what the hell this banner meant. I had to look up pie floater :confused: I really need to get out more.
By the way a pie floater does sound disgusting even though I like pies and I like pea soup!!

Now that I know it is another clever banner. We have the best banners in the league by a mile.

Axe Man
09-05-2016, 06:40 PM
They are Dan's.

Dan was MC in the social club on Saturday night - very funny guy.

He interviewed Hrovat and Dad. One question was do any of you have brothers playing for Adelaide tonight.:D

Does anybody still get text messages advising about the speakers in the social club before the game?

Last year I got a message each home game saying what time the speakers would be there. The year before they actually told you who the speakers would be. This year I haven't received any messages.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Me neither

ledge
09-05-2016, 09:01 PM
I pulled out of the social club this year due to 6 VFL home games being before the main game so I miss the speeches anyway.
Might go back in next year .. My aim is to make all home games of VFL and AFL and some away etihad games.

bornadog
09-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Does anybody still get text messages advising about the speakers in the social club before the game?

Last year I got a message each home game saying what time the speakers would be there. The year before they actually told you who the speakers would be. This year I haven't received any messages.
I haven't been getting them at all.

AndrewP6
10-05-2016, 12:33 AM

Nope.

LostDoggy
10-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Me neither.

SlimPickens
15-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Enjoyed this week

LostDoggy
15-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Enjoyed this week

I don't get it? Like I feel like I've missed something...?

hujsh
15-05-2016, 09:29 PM

Melbourne supporters are toffs is essentially the joke

LostDoggy
15-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Melbourne supporters are toffs is essentially the joke

Ohhh I thought because of 'negative gearing' it had something to do with like, years of lack of output from their high draft picks/ salary cap/ something to do with $$$ kinda thing so thank you for explaining that one!

comrade
15-05-2016, 09:33 PM

Negative gearing is a strategy rich people use to minimise tax.

Effectively having a sly crack at the Melbourne silver tail set.

EasternWest
15-05-2016, 09:34 PM
God that was a scream. Love it.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Hilarious. Yes, a good one from Titus O'Reilly along similar lines, when he ( a Melbourne member ) threatened to withdraw his hard earned inheritance from Melbourne.

Eastdog
15-05-2016, 09:56 PM
The banners is where creative freedom can take hold. They are always going to make us laugh :)

SonofScray
15-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Tim Lane was offended by it this week, thinks the AFL will investigate haha.

bornadog
15-05-2016, 10:09 PM

What a dickhead.

hujsh
15-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Ohhh I thought because of 'negative gearing' it had something to do with like, years of lack of output from their high draft picks/ salary cap/ something to do with $$$ kinda thing so thank you for explaining that one!

There's something to that. Investing in those high picks and finding they lose value. But you usually profit from negative gearing at the end so it falls apart there.

G-Mo77
15-05-2016, 10:44 PM

Wuh?

SonofScray
15-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Wuh?

There is a bit of ba lash playing out at the moment along the lines of "keep politics out of football" and dim witted individuals trying to claim we've made a political statement and been disrespectful.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2016, 10:48 PM
Not sure why anyone would investigate it. It's not even politically incorrect. Some people just need to offended or angry with something and will find a substitute when there's no genuine cause for it.

bornadog
15-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Wuh?

My wife was listening while I was at the footy and she said he claims it was a political statement with elections looming. He doesn't get it was aimed at the MCC members who can afford to negatively gear.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2016, 10:51 PM
There is a bit of ba lash playing out at the moment along the lines of "keep politics out of football" and dim witted individuals trying to claim we've made a political statement and been disrespectful.

The words Negative Gearing being used in and of itself isn't a political statement, not even close. Don't change or do change negative gearing is a political statement. The banner said neither. So what political statement did we make, which political party did the banner endorse?

bulldogtragic
15-05-2016, 11:12 PM
We should put a list of words together for the club not to use:

Road (implies infrastructure funding). Political Statement.
Win or Lose (implies election results). Political Statement.
Super (could be short for superannuation, and argued changes). Political Statement.
Bulldogs or Dogs (implies changes to sale of mammals legislation). Political statement.
West (implies the swing seats of West Sydney). Political Statement.
Premiers (infers a political position). Political Statement even though it's a Federal Election.
Flag (infers the car with a flag on the bonnet, which is the PM's car, so endorsing MT). Political Statement.
Boys (is pure misogyny, there was a mysogny speech in parliament). Political Statement.
Bark (infers what trees are covered in, which infers environmental policy). Political Statement.
Red, White & Blue (infers the colours of a white shirt and either red or blue tie for men. Ruling out a greens tie). Political Statement.
Fight (infers violence or threats of violence, ergo, terrorism). Political Statement.

Maybe not have a banner? I think our entire club song is political now, best stop that too.

We best get someone to chisel Julia Gillard from the number one ticket holders board.
The funding John Howard got us. Better get Godwin Grech to fake the paperwork to erase all records.
Got to rip up the Ballarat agreement because that has government funding.

GVGjr
15-05-2016, 11:15 PM
I'm very anti politics and even more so with politics entering the sporting arena but I can't for the life of me see why this weeks banner has been regarded by someone like Tim Lane as a political one that offends. To each their own.

I think Lane has ready this wrong.

bornadog
15-05-2016, 11:48 PM
From the HUN

Western Bulldogs negative gearing banner gets social media reaction (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/western-bulldogs-negative-gearing-banner-gets-social-media-reaction/news-story/3ea1010dd5ae6b486f95be6c2862f8f9)

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/460b62319d49dcbea80fc102fd6be95f?width=650

THE Western Bulldogs has taken a clever potshot at affluent Melbourne fans with its banner before today’s clash at the ‘G.
The banner, which read ‘At the end of the match we’ll still be cheering, you’ll still be worried about your negative gearing’, has been well received on social media, with most fans giving the Dogs the thumbs up.
It’s not the first time the Bulldogs have shown their banner building talent —they’ve shown good form all year (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-early-banner-of-the-year-contender/news-story/544ba460d8a1395046f9ef60d2c7264e).

westbulldog
16-05-2016, 12:26 AM

What planet are you on Tim ?

jeemak
16-05-2016, 01:33 AM
Is this real life?

Remi Moses
16-05-2016, 04:36 AM
I'm sure the fun police will intervene .