PDA

View Full Version : Bonti - The human highlight reel

westdog54
05-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Tonight was actually the first time I saw him live.

He is worth the price of admission alone. When he pulled off that Pirouette, my brother and I just looked at each other in disbelief.

Question to some more senior woofers than myself, have we ever had a player as freakish as this?

comrade
05-04-2015, 12:53 AM
I was on the opposite wing to the one where he seemed to freeze time and waltz past 3 Eagles players. Can anyone describe what actually happened?

boydogs
05-04-2015, 01:03 AM
I was on the opposite wing to the one where he seemed to freeze time and waltz past 3 Eagles players. Can anyone describe what actually happened?

Faked a handpass whilst being tackled then broke the tackle and ran off

Scorlibo
05-04-2015, 01:04 AM

My best explanation at the time was, 'it looked like they just stopped trying'.

Remi Moses
05-04-2015, 01:09 AM
He reminds me of a bigger version of Robert Flower .
Big Big call, but the game seems to stop when he gets the ball.

EasternWest
05-04-2015, 01:11 AM

He froze time and waltzed past.

SonofScray
05-04-2015, 01:13 AM
By the end of his career he will be known as our greatest ever Bulldog. There will be a statue of him next to EJ. There are premierships in his future, I have no doubt.

bornadog
05-04-2015, 01:14 AM

He is worth the price of admission alone. When he pulled off that Pirouette, my brother and I just looked at each other in disbelief.

Question to some more senior woofers than myself, have we ever had a player as freakish as this?

I have said it before, best player since Chris Grant.

Sedat
05-04-2015, 01:20 AM
He worked really hard defensively when things weren't going right for him early - loved this as much as his elite one-touch hands in traffic.

1eyedog
05-04-2015, 01:43 AM

Hawkins before he wrecked his knee. Was the best player in the comp leading up to that injury.

Webby
05-04-2015, 01:53 AM
Hawkins before he wrecked his knee. Was the best player in the comp leading up to that injury.

That's true. He was. He was about to peak. Although Robbie Flower had him until he was 24.... I felt tonight that Bonti is just soooo pure. I'm spoilt. I feel like I don't deserve it.... Then I remember that I do!

Every club's had a megastar at some point. Doug was taken right when he reached his zenith. Ditto KT. Granty never quite got there. This kid is Carey-Ablett-esque!!!

Sorry, but euphoric ATM. Liverpool got smashed! :)

Twodogs
05-04-2015, 02:05 AM
I haven't seen a kid just walk in and just own games like him.

jeemak
05-04-2015, 02:57 AM
That's true. He was. He was about to peak. Although Robbie Flower had him until he was 24.... I felt tonight that Bonti is just soooo pure. I'm spoilt. I feel like I don't deserve it.... Then I remember that I do!

Every club's had a megastar at some point. Doug was taken right when he reached his zenith. Ditto KT. Granty never quite got there. This kid is Carey-Ablett-esque!!!

Sorry, but euphoric ATM. Liverpool got smashed! :)

1996 and 1997 would suggest that Grant was there and a bit. Especially when you consider one year should have seen him win a Brownlow from CHB and the next should have seen him win it from CHF.

Grants biggest issue during that time is we didn't go ahead and win the premiership in one of 97-99. If we had have there'd be absolutely no doubt about how good he was.

If Bonts gets to Grants level then we should all be wrapped. There's a lot of water to get under the bridge before he can.

westdog54
05-04-2015, 08:02 AM

No, you pretty much summed it up.

This kid is seriously not human.

Topdog
05-04-2015, 08:27 AM
highlight? Couldnt watch the match last night :(

SonofScray
05-04-2015, 08:53 AM

One handed pick up at full tilt in between 3 opponents and a shimmy to put a good 10m between him and the rest.

Pirouette through traffic, shrugged off a tackler, sold the dummy and ran out of trouble.

Tackled hard all night, never bowed to the pressure of the tag and double team from WCE, this was the most pleasing aspect.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Closest comparison I can come up with is like Mr Anderson or Neo. All three seem to move around at speed and made everything seem slow. It's inherent instinct.

westdog54
05-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Just wait for the inevitable Highlight reel to go up on the website.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2015, 10:07 AM
We've seen plenty of incredibly talented, early draft picks over the years, but for a bloke in his second year, less than 20 games and still growing into his body - WOW.

Effortless but effort-filled, if that's a thing.

ReLoad
05-04-2015, 10:42 AM
He is going to be pretty much untaggable, like Ablett, you can waste your best tagger on him and he will still be magical.
Then again, if you don't tag him, you see what he did versus collingwood last week.

The kid has the capacity, work ethic and even better mindest to be a once in a generation player.

I'm more than happy to name the wing opposite Doug hawkins to be the "Bontempelli wing"

I know we had a win last night that's why im bullish, but jeepers we have some awesome kids playing right now.

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 10:50 AM

It would take a physics team in the ilk of the Manhattan Project to even attempt it.

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I loved when we needed a goal in the second quarter or third, there was a throw in our forward 50. He jumped in front of the ruckman, took the ball and kicked the goal. Then went to the centre square and won the clearance, his composure to see what is needed is incredible. Reminds me off Hird goes forward when we need a goal, gets the clearance when we need it and goes back and takes marks

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2015, 11:11 AM
I wept from seeing greatness. Bontempelli was Royce Hart at his best, full of grace, intertwining his ballet seamlessly into a game of football.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2015, 12:13 PM
#BrownlowBont

EasternWest
05-04-2015, 03:18 PM
One handed pick up at full tilt in between 3 opponents and a shimmy to put a good 10m between him and the rest..

When he did that, my brother in law said: "he really is the new Pendlebury".

I replied: "no way. Pendlebury is the prototype Bontempelli. The beta model. You're looking at the T-1000".

I admit I had that line pre-prepared.

Twodogs
05-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Still. Swish.

josie
05-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Got given the Bonti article from Sat paper (Sun Herald) and it was a good read. Love the way he is called "Fooch" as in "The Future" by his team mates. Stringer on 3AW this arvo said Bonti's other nickname is "Charlie" (as in Brownlow).

Also loved reading Bonti saying the players are really close, going out for meals together with 10 or 30 of them. We are building something special here folks and although it may take a little while, it will be worth it, So let's strap ourselves in, take a deep breath and let's start the ride !!

Another poster put it perfectly - time seems to stand still when Bonti does his thing.

I love his tackle pressure too when he was not seeing much of the ball in first part of the game.

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Watch the replay and listen to the commentators speaking about Bont. You would be forgiven for thinking they were talking about a 5-10 year player the way they were talking about how quiet his first quarter was and then talking about how the opposition would nullify him over the course of the match. You have to stop sometimes and remind yourself that this is a kid who is just starting his second season of AFL football! I can't recall a period in my 36 years where we had so many potential stars on our list. Enjoy guys, we deserve it!

Topdog
05-04-2015, 05:41 PM
is it this one at 5:26?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-04-04/dogs-snarl-outrun-eagles

boydogs
05-04-2015, 07:20 PM

Yeah they just showed the end of it. Jong v LeCras from MJP's thread is at 2:28

hujsh
05-04-2015, 07:40 PM

There's a better one but it's not in that package

EDIT: Maybe not. I thought he did something similar on the opposite wing after a blind turn but I found the blind turn separate to that. Must have merged them into a super play in my mind

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2015, 08:59 PM

EDIT: Maybe not. I thought he did something similar on the opposite wing after a blind turn but I found the blind turn separate to that. Must have merged them into a super play in my mind

The action looks so different on replay compared to seeing it live in the flesh.

boydogs
05-04-2015, 09:06 PM

There was another one on the defensive 50 arc, think it was in the last quarter in the chain where Grant had to reach about 3 metres off the ground to glove the ball and keep it moving

Remi Moses
05-04-2015, 10:22 PM

I'd say Doug was just as gifted .
Bontempelli reminds me of Robert Flower. Big call, and Flower was more outside type .
Flower was probably a better mark, but Bont matches him everywhere else.

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 11:00 PM

The Hawk was such a joy to watch.
It was as if he was gliding on the surface.
Always seem to be 2 or 3 steps and thought processes ahead of the play.
Made many an opponent or would be tackler look gazumpped by his exquisete skills.

The Bont is the closest thing to the hawk I have seen at the club for football purity,with Granty a very close second.

Twodogs
06-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Bontempelli reminds me of Robert Flower. Big call, and Flower was more outside type .
Flower was probably a better mark, but Bont matches him everywhere else.

Remember the big wraps on Magic Maclean when he first started playing. He made opponents look silly from day 1 of his career but nothing like this.

Topdog
06-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Yeah they just showed the end of it. Jong v LeCras from MJP's thread is at 2:28

thanks for that.

The Jong one is IMO a shocker, he didnt even jump to touch the ball. He got really lost and I dont agree with the piggy in the middle comments.

1eyedog
06-04-2015, 10:15 AM
thanks for that.

The Jong one is IMO a shocker, he didnt even jump to touch the ball. He got really lost and I dont agree with the piggy in the middle comments.

Disagree, have another look. It was a great kick. Le Cras was running towards the boundary line and Jong came in hot to run with him but the kick was actually on the inside and Le Cras propped and then moved a few steps to his left to accept the mark. Jong did the right thing and went to where the player was but quickly realised he'd been deceived by a great kick on the inside. If you watch it the kick didn't even go above Jong's head. Only thing he could have done better was watch the flight of the ball rather than where Le Cras was running to but gee whizz he was coming in fast. It's not a hanging offence.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 11:25 AM
The scrutiny on these young guys is amazing, isn't it?

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 12:30 PM
The scrutiny on these young guys is amazing, isn't it?

Agree.

The way some posters on here are carrying on about a millisecond split decision made by an 11 GAME DEVELOPING PLAYER,
are a little bit over the top for mine.

Testekill
06-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Disagree, have another look. It was a great kick. Le Cras was running towards the boundary line and Jong came in hot to run with him but the kick was actually on the inside and Le Cras propped and then moved a few steps to his left to accept the mark. Jong did the right thing and went to where the player was but quickly realised he'd been deceived by a great kick on the inside. If you watch it the kick didn't even go above Jong's head. Only thing he could have done better was watch the flight of the ball rather than where Le Cras was running to but gee whizz he was coming in fast. It's not a hanging offence.

It was a beautiful kick that a far more experienced player read far better. Don't know why people crap on about it.

1eyedog
06-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Well it was kicked to Le Cras who was front on as opposed to Jong who was running back at pace. No contest really.

Topdog
06-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Agree.

The way some posters on here are carrying on about a millisecond split decision made by an 11 GAME DEVELOPING PLAYER,

Sorry mate everything is fantastic and Jong is the best 11 GAME DEVELOPING PLAYER the world has ever seen and has never made a mistake. I love him, you love him, everyone loves him.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Sorry mate everything is fantastic and Jong is the best 11 GAME DEVELOPING PLAYER the world has ever seen and has never made a mistake. I love him, you love him, everyone loves him.

??????
Why the angst??:(

1eyedog
06-04-2015, 03:21 PM

Nah mate it's highly questionable whether we should be even persisting with him. Clearly he's not up to AFL standard in many areas and his act of not being able to turn into Superman to block the ball to Le Cras was deplorable and shocking, or so I've heard.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Nah mate it's highly questionable whether we should be even persisting with him. Clearly he's not up to AFL standard in many areas and his act of not being able to turn into Superman to block the ball to Le Cras was deplorable and shocking, or so I've heard.

Agree.

Guys here aren't any more or less guilty than the rest of the football world. MJP was 100% correct in highlighting Jong's deficiencies and others were 100% right in defending his youth and inexperience. It's just interesting at a larger level to see the level we can now scrutinise every play of every minute of every game. I logged into my AFL iPhone app and could see live heat maps of every player, listen to expert commentary dissecting every single on-field decision and it's just amazing, really. As fans we are far more informed and very lucky. As WOOFers we are incredibly fortunate to hear insights from posters of MJP's calibre and credentials. It just means we have to cut the players a little slack that's all.

azabob
06-04-2015, 07:45 PM
??????
Why the angst??:(

Perhaps because your posts are in capitals which suggests yelling.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Perhaps because your posts are in capitals which suggests yelling.

Opps!
My bad!
:o

bulldogtragic
06-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Opps!
My bad!
:o

We've all done it accidentally, no bad about it.

ledge
06-04-2015, 08:29 PM
I thought this was a post and thread on Bontempelli, disappointed its turned into taking pot shots at another player.

Ozza
08-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Back to Bonti.....someone has put a video on youtube of everything he was involved in from Saturday night (ie. every stat or tackle). It goes for a little over 8 minutes.

I can't recall ever being more excited about a player. I recall when Judd first emerged - that 20 possessions from Judd would impact a game like 30 of any other player. Bonti certainly has that characteristic. In particular, how clean he is with his hands off the deck, evading players, and sensing the moment impact the game. Its so exciting to watch him play.

Commentators keep saying 'gee he's going to be good'.
He already is.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Back to Bonti.....someone has put a video on youtube of everything he was involved in from Saturday night (ie. every stat or tackle). It goes for a little over 8 minutes.

I can't recall ever being more excited about a player. I recall when Judd first emerged - that 20 possessions from Judd would impact a game like 30 of any other player. Bonti certainly has that characteristic. In particular, how clean he is with his hands off the deck, evading players, and sensing the moment impact the game. Its so exciting to watch him play.

Commentators keep saying 'gee he's going to be good'.
He already is.

Any chance of a link? I couldn't find it under 'Bontempelli' or 'Bonti'

Twodogs
08-04-2015, 04:37 PM

I found the last quarter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ykZ1CSpKQdc

Mofra
08-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A2kPgqyYzg

Have to type his full name - how many of us forget he's called "Marcus"?

divvydan
08-04-2015, 06:31 PM
It's interesting to see a video like this, I'm sure clubs make these for all players but outside of that we, the public, usually only get to see them for U-18 prospects.

Something that was noticeable in this video is probably the one area that I would like to see Bonts improve and that is that I think he kicks long slightly too often. It was evident last year as well and my worry would be that if he almost always kicks it long (esp I50), then defenders will know where the ball is coming and converge on that area. It might also discourage players from leading up to Bonts when he has the ball 40m away as they might be worried it goes over their head.

From what I've seen of Bonts play, he's certainly capable of delivering a weighted pass to a leading forward and his vision seems to be very good, it might just be that long is the first option looks at each time.

bornadog
13-05-2015, 02:22 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-05-13/where-it-all-began-zaharakis-and-bontempelli

Well worth a look - Bonti and Zaharakis going back to their junior club in Eltham.

josie
13-05-2015, 05:53 PM
BONTI IS DOG, BONTI IS GOOD !! CAPITALS ARE OK TOO, ESPECIALLY IF YOU MISTAKENLY LEAVE CAPS LOCK ON. Apologies for any offence caused.

Seriously, he is so good to watch. I'll be fascinated to see Bont & Fyfe in same match as Fyfe is closest style of player I can think off in AFL at present to Bonti. Got a feeling Bonti will be very good this weekend, that's if he is not rested (I have inside knowledge however got a gut feeling a few of the boys may be rested).

stefoid
14-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Its good having some players with X factor that get the fans excited and the opposition fans nervous when they are in the vicinity of the ball - Dalhaus, Stringer and Bont.

LostDoggy
14-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Its good having some players with X factor that get the fans excited and the opposition fans nervous when they are in the vicinity of the ball - Dalhaus, Stringer and Bont.

Stringer, Bont and Dalhaus :)

LostDoggy
14-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Anyone know when Bonti is signed to? Just interested as we seem to have done a good job re signing or extending contracts lately.

Greystache
14-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Anyone know when Bonti is signed to? Just interested as we seem to have done a good job re signing or extending contracts lately.

End of 2017. He added 2 years to his rookie contract while still having a year remaining.

LostDoggy
14-05-2015, 11:53 AM
End of 2017. He added 2 years to his rookie contract while still having a year remaining.

Thankyou Greystache.

Surely next year the dogs will need to reopen negotiations? Even renegotiate 2017 plus an extension? Im not sure what he is on but Id say he would be looking for more, which would be understandable. We can't afford to lose a kid of his ability.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Thankyou Greystache.

Surely next year the dogs will need to reopen negotiations? Even renegotiate 2017 plus an extension? Im not sure what he is on but Id say he would be looking for more, which would be understandable. We can't afford to lose a kid of his ability.

As long as we keep performing he wont want to leave. 2018-19 is when we will be contending for the flag. wont want to be leaving if that is the case and im sure we will pay him fairly. We've signed up a lot of youngsters so im sure we have done our due diligence in ensuring we have enough to pay him his worth to keep him here

LostDoggy
14-05-2015, 01:34 PM
As long as we keep performing he wont want to leave. 2018-19 is when we will be contending for the flag. wont want to be leaving if that is the case and im sure we will pay him fairly. We've signed up a lot of youngsters so im sure we have done our due diligence in ensuring we have enough to pay him his worth to keep him here

Fair enough - also wouldnt want another Callan Ward type scenario.

Im sure he will get remunerated fairly but im also nervous there will be 17 other clubs circling.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Fair enough - also wouldnt want another Callan Ward type scenario.

Im sure he will get remunerated fairly but im also nervous there will be 17 other clubs circling.

i'd say you're right in that we will re-sign him next year. wont want it to come to final year negotiations.

Jmac has been bang on so far so lets back him to get the Bont over the line.

LostDoggy
14-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Agree - Jmac has been super so far.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Agree - Jmac has been super so far.

Maybe if we had the current contract team in place 6 yrs ago we would still have Ward. Leaving him unsigned when the expansion sides came in was a big mistake. Could be a result of club expenditure back then though.