PDA

View Full Version : Got to be proud right now.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Watching James Hird explain how the Essendon group are a great batch of players, but that they had a horrible few months and the evil AFL and ASADA meaning they couldn't get enough run from games in their legs... Well, you can imagine that we could have used the same argument if we gave up a win too. The players and coaches could have given up the game and lost and cited loss of everyone in a leadership role, less P.G. . The players had enough excuses to avoid scrutiny of a loss and get some media plaudits for their effort despite losing... But we didn't. You can find excuses or you can fight until the last second to win. Perhaps this is the new culture. I think so, and so I think we should be proud of not just where we've come from, but where we are already and where we could be headed.

westdog54
05-04-2015, 10:00 AM
It was a hard fought win, both on and off the field.

Had to do it the hard way and not rely on downhill skiing for our goals like the Eagles did.

Smashed them in the contests, and won the free kick count by virtue of the fact that we were first to the contest more often than not.

SonofScray
05-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Agree. I found Beveridge's press conference to be a reflection of that, threw some support behind the players and has clearly been galvanising the group against the dramas of the summer. The Club, our leadership etc didn't handle things very well leading up to Macca's exit, but from the debacle and some honest reflection, I think we've seen a more mature and harder view of how we need to be emerge.

No finger pointing, no poor us, just roll your sleeves up and do your bit. It is happening off field at the moment and last night saw it on field as well. It was guys like Jong and Dickson who steadied and turned momentum back in our favour. Results will vary but that attitude is worth its weight in gold.

Webby
05-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Watching James Hird explain how the Essendon group are a great batch of players...

A great batch of players with a some missing batches of substances pumping through them.. You are the company you keep. Hird and Shane Charters were mates. That says more to me than any ASADA investigation ever could.

The fact that he's still in a job is embarrassing for the AFL and even more embarrassing for Essendon.

azabob
05-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Hird and Shane Charters were mates. .

And they have been for a long long time....

Ghost Dog
05-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Ah the many times at Etihad watching us get our arses handed to us by Cox, Kennedy and Nicnat as poor old Dale Morris and Lucas Marcovic battled on manfully. Priddis cutting us to pieces with our young midfielders barely hanging on. We didn't get lucky last night. We got even.

It was a sweet, sweet game because we won it fair and square, in all areas of the game and even when the odds were slightly against us. To have Alistair Lynch and others tipping the Eagles would run away, and we just would not give up. That's Bulldog.
I am very, very proud of this club right now. I could not be happier.

Also, I don't think I will be changing my avatar too quickly. He had a few clangers, but did a lot well too. What did you all think of Matty Boyd's presence down back? He calms things down a bit I reckon.

LostDoggy
05-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Watching James Hird explain how the Essendon group are a great batch of players, but that they had a horrible few months and the evil AFL and ASADA meaning they couldn't get enough run from games in their legs... Well, you can imagine that we could have used the same argument if we gave up a win too. The players and coaches could have given up the game and lost and cited loss of everyone in a leadership role, less P.G. . The players had enough excuses to avoid scrutiny of a loss and get some media plaudits for their effort despite losing... But we didn't. You can find excuses or you can fight until the last second to win. Perhaps this is the new culture. I think so, and so I think we should be proud of not just where we've come from, but where we are already and where we could be headed.
Oh absolutely! Where we could be headed. That's the exciting bit. I'm finding it hard this morning not to look forward to the Tigers with too much expectation — West Coast at Etihad are not 2015's Tigers at the G — but I know one thing: the yellow and black better bring their A-game. This to me is the sign of great teams, or at least teams destined to be great: doing what it takes, no excuses. We will cop a few this year, but unlike previous years we can at least walk away knowing there's no crap excuses being rolled out, that's the important thing for me. I'll watch a 20-goal drubbing if the guys learn and adapt from it to be better.

Agree. I found Beveridge's press conference to be a reflection of that, threw some support behind the players and has clearly been galvanising the group against the dramas of the summer. The Club, our leadership etc didn't handle things very well leading up to Macca's exit, but from the debacle and some honest reflection, I think we've seen a more mature and harder view of how we need to be emerge.

No finger pointing, no poor us, just roll your sleeves up and do your bit. It is happening off field at the moment and last night saw it on field as well. It was guys like Jong and Dickson who steadied and turned momentum back in our favour. Results will vary but that attitude is worth its weight in gold.
I'm glad Shocktober occurred. It was a bushfire, and it has cleansed us, forged a better club. That's the view I'm taking this year.

Hotdog60
05-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Ah the many times at Etihad watching us get our arses handed to us by Cox, Kennedy and Nicnat as poor old Dale Morris and Lucas Marcovic battled on manfully. Priddis cutting us to pieces with our young midfielders barely hanging on. We didn't get lucky last night. We got even.

It was a sweet, sweet game because we won it fair and square, in all areas of the game and even when the odds were slightly against us. To have Alistair Lynch and others tipping the Eagles would run away, and we just would not give up. That's Bulldog.

Also, I don't think I will be changing my avatar too quickly. He had a few clangers, but did a lot well too. What did you all think of Matty Boyd's presence down back? He calms things down a bit I reckon.

Yes you can keep your avatar GD, Matty was solid all night and provided leadership. The only thing I could fault would be at times he got caught out when they got the break out the back but he wasn't alone in that respect.
If he can maintain this performance all year he may well get another deal next year.

Stefcep
05-04-2015, 11:42 AM
It was a hard fought win, both on and off the field.

Had to do it the hard way and not rely on downhill skiing for our goals like the Eagles did.

Smashed them in the contests, and won the free kick count by virtue of the fact that we were first to the contest more often than not.

Just on the free kicks that tally was in our favour, but when, where and how they got theirs had more of an effect on the game. At one point I thought the umps would have lost it for us.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-04-2015, 02:56 PM

This was a well deserved victory being under the pump for most of the night, but resolute when it mattered.
I thought Matty Boyd was tremendous with 33 disposals down back. It was pleasing to see Talia regain his composure at CHB, which is a big plus if he is able to continue in this vein. Murphy showed his class leading the side as Captain for the first time. Roughead was steady at FB and has obviously thrown off his shoulder problems, which severely hampered him last year.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2015, 03:12 PM
A couple of days before the match Bevo was asked by a reporter if he would take 11 wins for the season now. Without hesitation Bevo said no. Loved it.

The bulldog tragician
05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
And in the post match interview Bob commented on us needing to keep our focus up for the ' next 26' games of the season. He had a little wry smile. .... #thedreamsalive

bornadog
05-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Just on the free kicks that tally was in our favour, but when, where and how they got theirs had more of an effect on the game. At one point I thought the umps would have lost it for us.

Our first three goals came from free kicks

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Our first three goals came from free kicks

Deserved ones.

1eyedog
06-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Deserved ones.

Yep we had the pressure on and they came due to our attack on the ball in front of goal. Simply put they freaked out under our pressure and that's good sign for us.

1eyedog
06-04-2015, 08:46 AM
A couple of days before the match Bevo was asked by a reporter if he would take 11 wins for the season now. Without hesitation Bevo said no. Loved it.

Love that, aiming high and not accepting of mediocrity.

G-Mo77
06-04-2015, 09:20 AM
And they have been for a long long time....

Charters lived close by my home town and they were very good mates back when Hird won his brownlow. Hird knew what he was doing back then and did in 2012.

Topdog
06-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Love that, aiming high and not accepting of mediocrity.

Better to fail aiming high than succeed aiming low.

SonofScray
06-04-2015, 09:35 AM

The only decision that really annoyed me, non decision actually, was deep in our F50 at the Footscray End. Tom Boyd got reasonable purchase on the long ball, only to have the defender running back with the flight clatter into him and a chop on the arms over the back from the other defender. Two clear free kicks, but they were ignored. I felt it was because it was later in the game and the contest was very hot at the time.

Hotdog60
06-04-2015, 09:39 AM
The only missed decision that annoyed me was when Dickson had his legs taken out. There was a high chance of some damage being done and the very reason for the rule to be brought in. Yet the umps called play on.

azabob
06-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Charters lived close by my home town and they were very good mates back when Hird won his brownlow. Hird knew what he was doing back then and did in 2012.

Yep, lets not ask questions we dont want to know the answers to....

westdog54
06-04-2015, 10:57 AM
The only decision that really annoyed me, non decision actually, was deep in our F50 at the Footscray End. Tom Boyd got reasonable purchase on the long ball, only to have the defender running back with the flight clatter into him and a chop on the arms over the back from the other defender. Two clear free kicks, but they were ignored. I felt it was because it was later in the game and the contest was very hot at the time.

As I recall West Coast goalled on the rebound from that contest also.

LostDoggy
06-04-2015, 11:23 AM

Shane Charter, Dual Brownlows?

SonofScray
06-04-2015, 11:49 AM

Correct, they got a clean chain off possessions to break out and then got over the top of the zone. Classic 12 point turnaround.

WBFC4FFC
07-04-2015, 05:58 PM

From Sat night, the Umps love Natanui. Manhandled Minson illegally in the ruck all night and no free at all for Big Will!

Also, the Umps are not giving Tom Boyd any frees this season. They must be envious of his contract. Could have had up to 3 of them, as he was held back a couple of times too from attacking the footy in the first quarter.

josie
07-04-2015, 07:38 PM
From Sat night, the Umps love Natanui. Manhandled Minson illegally in the ruck all night and no free at all for Big Will!

Also, the Umps are not giving Tom Boyd any frees this season. They must be envious of his contract. Could have had up to 3 of them, as he was held back a couple of times too from attacking the footy in the first quarter.

Totally agree with this. I was watching closely with binoculars too.

I also recall the last 2 free kicks that went our way (one of which when WCE were shooting for goal late in Q4) were IMO a bit soft. Thought this evened up the ledger a bit !!

craigsahibee
07-04-2015, 07:45 PM

For what it's worth GD, I thought he was huge. I said it at the game. He was fantastic.

boydogs
07-04-2015, 10:21 PM

I thought the umpiring was good this weekend across the AFL, one thing that stood out was they didn't pay a free kick for infringements that didn't affect whether a player won the ball. Things like holding a tackle for too long when the ball was out of the vicinity, chopping the arms, hands in the back, contact running back with the flight, holding & pushing. You really had to look like you would have won the contest if not for the indiscretion for a free to be paid.

Basically Tom needs to stick more marks before the umpires start looking to pay him frees when defenders try anything they can to stop him