PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors 2015 - Round 2

Eastdog
05-04-2015, 06:48 PM
This is the round 2 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
11-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Bump

Hotdog60
11-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Bankers:

Dickson to steady the ship
Bob rock solid
Honeychurch the energizer bunny.

Anchors:

Umpires need more visits to OPSM Jong's mark was there for all to see.
Lead legs we look a tad slow on the MCG
Fox footy and no lead up to the game where to busy discussing every other game coming up.

PedroArvy
11-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Bankers
Dicko obviously a key to success
Roughy
Talia both solid in defence

Anchors
Stringers goal kicking - get the boy a kicking coach
Tom Boyd - looks overwhelmed
Ace - ineffectual at AFL level again

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Bankers
Dickson's goalkicking and movement on the forward 50.
Easton Wood has really lifted his decision making and poise.
Murph just looks to be relishing the captaincy. His run and kicking was a sight to behold.
Anchors
Umpiring was terrible, notwithstanding the call on Jong's clear mark but the way Maric was fine to grab and impede Will at almost every ruck contest. Yet somehow free kicks were 31 -15 to Tiges.
Stringer needs to work very hard on his goalkicking or else he will never be the player he should be.

Happy Days
11-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Bankers

Dickson is a dead eye and is 4x the player he was just a season ago
Matthew Boyd on the half back line is a genius move and I was wrong about it 100%. Maybe he's been a good kick this whole time?
Dahlhaus and Honeychurch are annoying little shits and it's going to win us games

Anchors

That Jong non-mark is the worst decision in the history of Australia
Stringer needs to improve his set shot kicking or else he'll only turn into Chris Grant
Beveridge trying to tank the game by switching Talia and Roughead at the start of the fourth

bornadog
11-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Bankers

* Dicksons 4 goals
* Wallis inside work
* MBoyd - found himself a spot

Anchors

* Still seething about the cheating umpires - Jongs mark, Man handling of T Boyd bujt tiggy touch wood frees for the same thing with Tiger players

* Cordy - For Gods sake eyes on the ball, hands infront ans top wrestling with your opponent.

* Grant worked his butt off many times running and positioning himself, but team mates just ignored him.

The bulldog tragician
11-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Bankers:
Boyd. Of the Matthew variety. I've been a critic, but wow!
That ferocious tackling. Sensational.
The way we steadied the ship in the 3rd qtr when the Tigers made their move. Terrific heart was shown.
Anchors:
Oh Ayce. We needed more. It's getting hard to believe in you.
Absolutely vile umpiring. I'm glad we can say it after a win.
Jake needs to nail those shots. It is lucky it didn't cost us today.

GVGjr
11-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Bankers
- The 'old crew' of Murphy, M.Boyd, Morris and Minson all performing well.
- The work ethic of Bontempelli and Wallis.
- The chemistry of the playing group. One in all in

Anchors
- Stringers dreadful goal kicking efforts from set shots. Never looked close
- Pace across the park wasn't great.
- The AFL for not giving us more exposure to the G.

F'scary
11-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Bankers:

Dickson, Mr Quality Street Chocolates.

Bonti, somehow or the other I didn't give you a vote. You should fail with all the hype but you do the opposite.

Tom Boyd, again basically not out-marked all game and lots of contests. Such a difference to the timid and infrequent long bombs of last year where we were picked off, unopposed. This year we are repeatedly bombing it long and it looks nice, safe and sensible. And, Boydy, I think we get your partner-in-crime the Widow Maker back next week.

Anchors: feels bad doing it after a great win but Cordy, Grant and Crameri should be feeling the pressure this week.

G-Mo77
11-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Bankers: Matty Boyd. Was a huge influence today across 4 quarters. Never had any doubt about his new role :)

Bonti. My goodness, what a player we have there.

Dickson. Thank you for slotting goals. A real dead eye!

Bankers:

Umps, just foul, disgusting, deplorable.

Stringer at goal. Did a lot of good things but yips in front of the sticks is a concern.

Picking up a parking ticket for parking in the wrong spot put a damper on the great day I had. Doh!

AndrewP6
11-04-2015, 09:03 PM
B
Dead-eye Dicko
Bonti - love watching him play, and thinking of his future.
Boyd Snr - I've been critical, but his work has been great in 2015.

Honourable mention to Wallis who is doing really well, as is Talia.

A
Cordy/Grant: Time is ticking on these two
Stringer- set shots are horrible. He did some great things, but this weakness needs work.
Umpires - beyond woeful, embarrassingly bad. Lucky there wasn't a goal in it at the finish

Doc26
11-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Bankers
Bontempelli - How great it is to have our own player who alone is worth the admission price to watch his craft. His ball use, pressure around the contest and leadership belies his years.
Dickson - Circa 2015 is looking very promising. Great to have someone who knows how to kick a goal in less familiar conditions.
Rance - Hoping to pay this one forward to 2016 :). He was very impressive and showed us where Tom is at against the best KP defenders.

Anchors
McInerney - Now Lin gets to experience first hand what we've put up with for years. He has become one giant anchor and it's now personal.
Picken - I have loved his tenaciousness for years but his ball use is far short of acceptable.
Match Committee - Goodes has little value as a starting sub to us.

always right
11-04-2015, 10:01 PM
B
Talia....backed up last week with another strong performance
Wallis....has really stepped up and is leading from the front
Minson...thought he did a number of Maric today, a bloke who has given Will trouble in the past

A
McInerney....I despise this cheat
McInerney....Kept the Tigers in the game
McInerney....How the hell wasn't that a mark to Jong?

bulldogtragic
11-04-2015, 10:35 PM
B

Back line playing as a team
Mids playing as a team
Forwards playing as a team

A

Ayce, you're making belief of your ability at AFL harder
McInerney hates us
Stringers goal kicking - if he can get that right, watch out comp.

ratsmac
11-04-2015, 10:41 PM
BANKERS

Honeychuch - he kept harassing and hunting all game
Murphy - his 3rd quarter set up the win.
Dickson - he is clearly our best set shot. He showed some skills today that I didn't realise he had.

ANCHORS

Umpires - they were absolutely one sided today. Terrible. Jong clearly marked that ball. What happened to man in front anyway, it had to be someone's mark!
Cordy - had zero impact. Where's his mongrel at?
T. Boyd - Rance was BOG IMO, Boyd just needed to make it a little difficult for Rance.

LostDoggy
11-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Bankers

Wallis. At the bottom of seemingly every pack.
The Church Of The Honeybadger. Made a few bloopers but overall good game.
The Richmond supporter who came down to the fence, blasted the shit out of his own team and waved his scarf at them in anger — except the scarf was still in its plastic wrapper — then stormed off to go fire up the microwave. Love your work, champ!

Honourable mention to Danny McGinlay for the banner.

Anchors

Cordy and Grant. Crameri hasn't had a preseason so he gets cut some slack this week.
Umpiring disgraceful. Not the count — we bit them hard at every contest and our style is bound to cost us more than your average free kick count — but just the stupid decisions and the lop-sided view of every dodgy call.
GWS and Adelaide knocking us off top spot. Ah well, for 20–30 mins it was swell!

jeemak
12-04-2015, 02:29 AM
B

The Bont. His brutal attitude towards tackling and being generally involved is something I've never seen exhibited from a 19 year old. It's uncanny, and when he develops the rest of his game on that basis he'll be the best player in the competition

Talia. Continual improvement is what I want from this man each and every time he plays. Today he improved

Dickson. At 27 and almost averaging a goal a game coming into this one, he was playing for a spot as a genuine leader on our list. He delivered. A footballer's footballer in my view. I really doubt anyone in the league would doubt Tory Dickson's place in the competition, he's a finisher, and genuine finisher's are becoming fewer and farther between.

A

Tall Forwards. We need more out of our front line. We've been lucky to get away with it for two weeks, I highly doubt we will get away with it for much longer. This is a competition, with very well educated opponents, they'll learn how to stop us soon and we will need another avenue quickly

Talk. We need to talk more, you can tell a fair portion of the mistakes are communication related. It seems like nothing when you don't do it well as a footballer, but when it clicks and it everyone's going it's invaluable

Umpires. You're making it really hard not to be paranoid

Remi Moses
12-04-2015, 02:52 AM
Bankers - Wallis, he's stepped into Libba's role beautifully. Taken up the challenge.
Dickson's conversion- very important in an era of players missing gimme goals.
Answering the challenge - been impressed with the ability to respond to any run on .
The decision to put some experienced heads behind the ball is a smart one, as it's given confidence in the young key backs.
Anchors- the officiating ! We got Right royally rogered. The Jong non decision pffft!
As Jeemak stated we need to take more grabs in the front half and keep the ball in longer. Hawthorn will murder us next week if this occurs again

soupman
12-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Bankers:
Three players who have had queries on their ability to by AFL players:
-Talia. For a while there he started to look like a defender who couldn't kick and struggled to defend, but his start to the season has been outstanding.
-Dickson. Pegged as a one trick pony small lead up forward prior to this, has improved immeasurably already showing he can have an impact further up the ground and demonstrating his value in front of goal.
-Honeychurch. Despite being neither big or particularly clean with the ball he has shown that he can impact games at this level. His pressure, particularly in the first half was outstanding and if he can keep chipping in with 1-2 goals a game will continue to make teams worry about him.

Anchor:
-Umpiring. I'm not one who thinks the free kick count should always be even, but a discrepancy of 30 to 13 was ridiculous and really highlighted the inconsistency in the decisions yesterday.

Ozza
13-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Bankers:

Bonti - insert which superlatives you like.
Dickson - safe with the ball in his hands. And so good one on one.
Honeychurch - The stats only say he had 4 last quarter possessions - but he had far more impact than that, but just competing and harassing when he was outnumbered in front half while we had numbers mostly behind the ball, was terrific.

Anchors:

Goodes - bit harsh as he was the sub, but he just hasn't been clean, or shown the poise we would normally see from him.
Ayce/Boyd - unfortunately a tough day for the big fellas, couldn't get involved.
Jack Riewoldt's demeanour - fair enough have some swagger if you're playing well....but walking around like a hero after your second kick of the day...give me a spell Jack.

Mofra
13-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Bankers:
- The brave, take them on attitude of our defensive players. Yes Murph led it but at times Boyd, Wood and Dickson running back there took players on and opened the field.
- Tackle pressure from our forwards. Creating opportunities from nothing - especially if we're smart enough to give the ball to Dickson
- Bonti. Can we bottle his blood and sell it as a healing tonic? We'd make millions.

Anchors:
- Set shot kicking poor for the second week in a row. Ill take Stringer missing difficult shots that other players wouldn't create, but set shots should not have such a low % conversion rate
- Our second ruck issue is not solved, although Cordy battled hard and Boyd looked competent.

Cyberdoggie
13-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Bankers:
Honeychurch's pressure and second efforts were fantastic.
Bonts is a rolls Royce
Great team effort, and dare I say it coaching tactics! (what are they I hear you say).

Anchors:
Set shots - some in-experienced players not concentrating on their set shot routine.

Boyd - Not a full anchor as such but big Tom just looks a bit slow and lazy on the second efforts at times. I'm ok with how he is playing but when the ball goes to ground I want to see him chase a bit harder, lay some bone crunching tackles etc. Just watch how buddy played against Port.

Ayce - Just not good enough. Was shown up in ruck contests, getting shoved out too easily. Not strong enough and gave away some silly free kicks. 2 disposals for 3 quarters, no marks, 3 frees against, I'm sorry but if Redpath gets dropped for his effort then Cordy has to as well. leaves a spot open for a big guy or perhaps a small?

LostDoggy
13-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Bankers:
Honeychurch's pressure and second efforts were fantastic.
Bonts is a rolls Royce
Great team effort, and dare I say it coaching tactics! (what are they I hear you say).

Anchors:
Set shots - some in-experienced players not concentrating on their set shot routine.

Boyd - Not a full anchor as such but big Tom just looks a bit slow and lazy on the second efforts at times. I'm ok with how he is playing but when the ball goes to ground I want to see him chase a bit harder, lay some bone crunching tackles etc. Just watch how buddy played against Port.

Ayce - Just not good enough. Was shown up in ruck contests, getting shoved out too easily. Not strong enough and gave away some silly free kicks. 2 disposals for 3 quarters, no marks, 3 frees against, I'm sorry but if Redpath gets dropped for his effort then Cordy has to as well. leaves a spot open for a big guy or perhaps a small?

Unfair comparison. Franklin is 28 years old with 205 games under his belt. Boyd is 19 with 11. He's young enough and raw enough to still be eligible for the Rising Star this year.

If you want to compare, take a look at Tom Hawkins at the start of his career. Whipping boy.

LostDoggy
14-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Bankers:
The Bont-Will be our next premiership captain.
The unrelenting pressure and harrasing we are putting on our opposition.
Forward structure that TBoyd gives us.

Anchors:
Cordy.For god's sake man just give us something.
Set shots.Should have hammered them by 8 goals.It will cost us if we don't fix soon.
Umpiring.30-13!!!???? You're having a laugh aren't ya??!!

Webby
14-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Bankers:
The Bont-Will be our next premiership captain.

I hope you're right!. I was just reflecting on the Bont today. I watched him play his first game of footy against Carlton in Rd 5 of last season. It dawned on me that "Jesus Christ, that's still less than a season ago!"

He's already the general of our midfield. One of the best players in the comp! And his trajectory is still on the up! I've never been so excited by a Dogs player.

That Carlton game, by coincidence, was my little bloke's first Dogs game. It was a graveyard shift timeslot, my kid was only just 4 years old, Carlton won and my young bloke fell asleep! The final siren woke him up.. Pretty inauspicious debut for the Bont and my boy. However, now I'm reflecting on the fact that I can tell my son for years to come that, "Your first game was the one and only Marcus Bontempelli's first AFL game!"

Anyway, he turned 5 today and one of his birthday presents was the Doggies number 4 guernsey. Bonti captaining a Dogs premiership would be absolutely perfect, now.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2015, 10:41 PM
I hope you're right!. I was just reflecting on the Bont today. I watched him play his first game of footy against Carlton in Rd 5 of last season. It dawned on me that "Jesus Christ, that's still less than a season ago!"

He's already the general of our midfield. One of the best players in the comp! And his trajectory is still on the up! I've never been so excited by a Dogs player.

That Carlton game, by coincidence, was my little bloke's first Dogs game. It was a graveyard shift timeslot, my kid was only just 4 years old, Carlton won and my young bloke fell asleep! The final siren woke him up.. Pretty inauspicious debut for the Bont and my boy. However, now I'm reflecting on the fact that I can tell my son for years to come that, "Your first game was the one and only Marcus Bontempelli's first AFL game!"

Anyway, he turned 5 today and one of his birthday presents was the Doggies number 4 guernsey. Bonti captaining a Dogs premiership would be absolutely perfect, now.

Can you get him to send Bonts a nice letter and 50c to stay at the club? It's worked before. :)

Webby
15-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Can you get him to send Bonts a nice letter and 50c to stay at the club? It's worked before. :)

Perhaps the letter would be better directed to Simon Dalrymple?!

He'd be more easily poached from under our noses at a far lower price!

I was thinking the other day about Dalrymple's performance. It contrasts starkly with "super recruiter," Scott Clayton's. Clayton had a ripping first year (Murphy, Gia, Lake etc) and then many very poor to ordinary years thereafter.

Dalrymple had a terrible first year (Christian Howard?), but has since been white-hot with a conga-line of young gun players. Arguably the best recruiter in the game at present. I'd be making his re-signing a priority.

(I should point out that I've never met Dalrymple and wouldn't know him if I fell over him. I'm not a mate trying to pump up his tyres.) I'd also point out to Dalrymple that, longer term, he'd be best to stick with WBFC and finish the job of building a premiership list. It'd be in the best interests of his longer term career. Like Clayton, if you build a premiership list, you can trade off it for a couple of decades, after... Even when you are clearly past your best.

LostDoggy
15-04-2015, 11:40 AM
I think Dalrymple loves the club, he is always out and about around WO. He will want to stay on board and ride this wave with us. Is this the same bloke we were all lambasting last year when we didn't go after any talls in the draft?

Anyway, I really, really hope some of the draftees from last years crop can keep kick on. I've already seen all of them do things in training, nab, and practice VFL matches that suggest they are all very classy players with exciting skill levels. There are no Paddy McCartins or Tom Boyd's in there, and aside from Daniel they are all rake thin (already getting bigger, Dale and Webb noticeably). Dalrymple has shown a preference for these later maturing types and if a couple of these kids can really kick on with the signs they've shown early, Dal may have just nailed another draft!

Sedat
15-04-2015, 12:55 PM
If you want to compare, take a look at Tom Hawkins at the start of his career. Whipping boy.
Good comparison. Whenever we played Geelong in 2008-10, Lakey would be so excited to be playing on and destroying Hawkins he would sleep in the change-rooms the night before.