PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 3 vs Hawthorn

Eastdog
05-04-2015, 06:51 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 3 game against Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
11-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks Easty.

chef
11-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Out Grant
In Hrovat

Grant just didn't do enough for me and im desperate to get the rat in.

Hotdog60
11-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Out Goodes
In Hrovat

The Bulldogs Bite
11-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Out - Goodes (Thought he was ordinary again)
In - Hrovat (Extra class/speed)

Mantis
11-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Did Cordy do enough?.. Not sure.

Crameri was also a disappointment.. Grant was just ok, needs to get more of the ball.

Agree we need Hrovat back in the team.

LostDoggy
11-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Out Cordy, Goodes
In Hrovat, Redpath

Testekill
11-04-2015, 06:15 PM
We're going to want a forward that will have more of an impact then Cordy did because otherwise Gibson will run off of them all day.

Happy Days
11-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Boyd was good in the ruck when he went in there. If he can do that for 15% of the game I see no point in playing Cordy or Redpath

So;

In: Hrovat

Out: Cordy

Goodes is treading water until Hunter can play again.

josie
11-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Out: Cordy, Goodes
In: Hrovat, Redpath or Hamling - I really like Hamling and think he offers leg speed, mobility, height, ability to mark. Wonder if he would allow Roughy to go forward sometimes or whether he can go forward himself.

GVGjr
11-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Out: Cordy, Goodes
In: Hrovat, Redpath or Hamling - I really like Hamling and think he offers leg speed, mobility, height, ability to mark. Wonder if he would allow Roughy to go forward sometimes or whether he can go forward himself.

Josie, I tend to agree because I'd be very tempted to play Hamling given his inclusion might allow Roughead a couple of 5 minute bursts in the ruck. He might even be a decent match-up for Gunston.

Cordy would be unlucky to only be included for one week.

kruder
11-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Did Cordy do enough?.. Not sure.

Crameri was also a disappointment.. Grant was just ok, needs to get more of the ball.

Agree we need Hrovat back in the team.

I think your being generous with Cordy. He looks like a likeable character but gee he has shown very little in his 20 game career. If Redpath was dropped for his performance last week then Cordy must be also.

In Redpath Stevens

Out Cordy for good, Goodes.

kruder
11-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Josie, I tend to agree because I'd be very tempted to play Hamling given his inclusion might allow Roughead a couple of 5 minute bursts in the ruck. He might even be a decent match-up for Gunston.

Um ditto Redpath?

azabob
11-04-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm still pondering my selections.

Under pressure Grant, Goodes, Cordy & Picken.

Possible inclusions Hrovat, hunter, Webb, Redpath.

Before I Die
11-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Um ditto Redpath?

Cordy forced his way in with form. Did Redpath do enough to force his way back?

G-Mo77
11-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Tough calls. Goodes' not suited for the sub. I think he's safe personally. Grant could be under some pressure same with Cordy. Hrovat the only guy I can see coming in, maybe Webb gets a gig considering he was the non playing emergency today?

westbulldog
11-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Hamling in, Cordy out

Greystache
11-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Out- Cordy, Grant
In- Hrovat, Redpath

Cordy is horribly immobile and Grant's not good at football. Hrovat adds some class and Redpath is a genuine key forward.

F'scary
11-04-2015, 09:49 PM
I'd go Redpath for Cordy, Hrovat for Goodes and Grant back to the sub.

Doc26
11-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Cordy forced his way in with form. Did Redpath do enough to force his way back?

For the first 3 quarters that I watched, Redpath didn't stake a claim.
On a side note, I was quite disappointed in what I saw of Fletcher Roberts today. I've held high hopes that he just might make the grade but he looks a fair way off with time running out. Come on Fletch.

Before I Die
11-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Out- Cordy, Grant
In- Hrovat, Redpath

Cordy is horribly immobile and Grant's not good at football. Hrovat adds some class and Redpath is a genuine key forward.

So it's no longer not hard enough or disinterested? Now it's just 'not good at football'?

I'd bring in Hrovat for Goodes.

I would give Redpath another week in the twos to build some confidence.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Not sure why Grant's in the gun. Kicked a clutch goal off the back of gut running, and had some key touches and tackles.

Yo-yo-ing Redpath and Ayce makes no sense to me. Ayce is in so he can stay in.

Out: Goodes

azabob
11-04-2015, 10:40 PM
For me the issue with grant is he just skirts around the contest. If its not within 1 meter of him forget about him impacting the contest.

F'scary
11-04-2015, 10:41 PM
The Ayce was pretty terrible today. That's two CHFs subbed in two weeks. Ayce at half time at that. This is the biggest problem for us. I keep going back to Redpath's NAB Cup showings and he seems the best option at the present time.

Greystache
11-04-2015, 10:46 PM
So it's no longer not hard enough or disinterested? Now it's just 'not good at football'?

I'd bring in Hrovat for Goodes.

I would give Redpath another week in the twos to build some confidence.

He's never been any good. 8 years has shown that. A handfull of supporters still cling to the hope he's somehow going to reverse his career to date and become good but it's just a fantasy

lemmon
11-04-2015, 10:48 PM
The Ayce was pretty terrible today. That's two CHFs subbed in two weeks. Ayce at half time at that. This is the biggest problem for us. I keep going back to Redpath's NAB Cup showings and he seems the best option at the present time.

So is the option to keep yo-yoing? I like what Redpath brings to the side and he is in my best 22 but the match committee made a decision and it deserves 2 or 3 weeks to play itself out. Throwing players in and out is not a message we want to be sending to the playing group.

SlimPickens
11-04-2015, 10:56 PM
In: Redpath/Campbell and Hrovat

Out: Cordy and Grant

I must be missing what Grant is bringing to the table. If not Redpath I'd play Campbell, all
3 of Cordy, Redpath and Campbell are not super athletic. At least Campbell has the ability to mark the ball.

GVGjr
11-04-2015, 11:39 PM
Should we go with a small forward line against the Hawks? I think kicking the ball in low against their tall defenders might nullify their marking strength.

josie
11-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Should we go with a small forward line against the Hawks? I think kicking the ball in low against their tall defenders might nullify their marking strength.

I often thought prior to this year (before & and after Bazza) why we didn't kick low to our forward line seeing as we had no tall targets. I guess we had the skill level when Johnno was at his prime, and then our skill level was just not there. Now our skill level (and confidence levels) are better, I really think we need mobility against the Hawks and agree with the idea of a smaller forward line i.e. Redpath and Cordy miss out and Hrovat comes in.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 01:09 AM
Not sure why Grant's in the gun. Kicked a clutch goal off the back of gut running, and had some key touches and tackles.

Yo-yo-ing Redpath and Ayce makes no sense to me. Ayce is in so he can stay in.

Out: Goodes

That is what I would do as well.

Twodogs
12-04-2015, 01:33 AM
At this stage it's in Hrovat and out Goodes.

Also should we talk about Ayce's spot. I'm not sure .whether we should leave him there and ' he's there so we might as well leave him there instead of Redpath." applies. Redpath is a genuine forward and comparing him to Cordy, who struggles playing forward. If anyone is going to benefit from a run of games without the threat of being dropped then it should be Redpath. Especially if Boyd is giving Minson a chip put in the ruck then it makes Cordy's role reduntant.

jeemak
12-04-2015, 01:59 AM
We're a club that has three genuine rucks, but no second ruck that can influence a game forward.

Presently it looks like we might be better served having Boyd cut his teeth forward, and play the second ruck role with Cordy and Campbell waiting for their time to fight for the first ruck position if and when it becomes available.

Today was a horrible day for tall forwards. Our forward ball movement wasn't flash, and completely dictated by how horribly the game was played between the two half lines.

I'd leave the side as it is for this coming week. I can't think of a change that will materially change the way we play.

boydogs
12-04-2015, 02:25 AM
Goodes wasn't great as the sub. Came on with about 7 minutes left in the 3rd and only had 5 touches, 4 of which were ineffective. He struggled to pick up the pace of the game and several times tried to kick the ball out of congestion only for it to the smothered.

I would rather go with someone who is explosive. Grant was alright last week, Honeychurch or Jong would work as well

It's disappointing neither Cordy nor Redpath were able to step up and claim CHF like Talia has CHB. Interesting to see what we do now, Cordy only had 2 possessions (which were both handballs backwards) and got subbed off early so he would be very lucky to stay in the team whilst Redpath was unlucky to be dropped after 1 bad but not terrible game after a strong showing in the preseason, but didn't put his hand up in the VFL this week like Cordy did last week

I wouldn't rule out a 3rd option, like Campbell, Hamling, Roughead going forward with Hamling back or Stringer playing as a tall

LostDoggy
12-04-2015, 08:02 AM
The rat in for Cordy. Boyd only has to bring it to ground. Cordy, Jack and TC aren't best 22 at this stage. Maybe Goodes for Hunter.

LostDoggy
12-04-2015, 08:24 AM
I think Hunter is going to be a good player, but I've yet to see the penny drop. I'd trust Goodes over Lachie at the moment. Not long term, but for next week? Absolutely.

soupman
12-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Hrovat in for Goodes.

Goodes is in the side to provide competition for the young guys and maybe use his body to push the opposition around a bit, similiar to Koby Stevens role.

If he is not getting touches or having a noticable impact on the game, as he failed to do yesterday, then he should make way for a young guy who deserves selection and would benefit long term from senior footy. Thats Hrovat.

I don't mind the idea of Hamling coming in to play on Gunston, but for those wanting Roughead to be released up forward I don't think it's realistic. He is finally looking like the full back we need him to be and a real leader down there, I certainly don't expect him to be switched to the other end of the ground to a position he has only shown glimpses in at best, and I doubt we would use him in the ruck except as a last resort.

F'scary
12-04-2015, 10:30 AM

I don't know, we'd have to change the way we are playing a fair bit. Our two wins, in my opinion, have been based around traditional long kicking to positions deep in the forward line. If our forwards can start clunking more of these we will really smash some of our opponents.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 10:33 AM
I think Hunter is going to be a good player, but I've yet to see the penny drop. I'd trust Goodes over Lachie at the moment. Not long term, but for next week? Absolutely.

Besides his training indiscretion, Hunter has had a very good pre-season and I think he will come in over the next few weeks.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2015, 10:37 AM

For mine, Hamling was good yesterday and I agree that he seems a logical match up for Gunston.

There weren't really any standouts in the VFL side, but Hrovat appears ready to come back and will add to the senior side. I was hoping we'd have seen Webb yesterday, but I guess he'll get an opportunity soon enough.

I think we need another key forward in our side for balance, particularly against the Hawks who have a tall backline, with Lake, Frawley and then (if fit) Gibson zoning off - but no one knocked down the door yesterday. We'll need to ensure their backline isn't allowed to zone off, take easy marks and mop up. Halving the contest is an absolute must.

Out:
Cordy, Goodes, (Picken maybe)

In:
Hamling, Hrovat, (Redpath maybe)

mjp
12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
No matter what happens, surely we can't start a dance where Cordy plays one week and Redpath the next. I hate Yo-Yo selections - pick one and give them 4 or 5 games to make a go of it...THEN if they still aren't contributing in the required manner send them back to the VFL.

What chance do these players have when they only get one game? Or in the case of Goodes, 1 game (where he was fine) followed by 1-quarter as a sub? (Which is pretty much the same as not playing).

I think Hunter would make a useful sub as he has the ability to play mid and forward and kick goals...so if you want to drop Goodes and bring Hunter in to be 'the sub' then that makes sense to me - but with Hawthorn's number of small-medium forwards I think having Goodes in the 21 might help as Morris, Wood, JJ and co are going to have their hands full and having an extra body on hand will help.

Say what you will about the Geelong midfield etc - it was their inability to control Puopolo, Rioli, Smith, Breust, Gunstan et al that caused all their problems in that game.

Smads57
12-04-2015, 05:37 PM
I mentioned in a thread last week that Goodes is insurance cover for the younger players while they ready themselves for senior selection, and therefore believe he goes out for Hrovat who needs to get senior experience - we are still a developing side and should be looking at the bigger picture and Hrovat with ball in hand is a better kick than Goodes.

I'd like to go down a different track re CHF.

Fletcher Roberts has played CHF as a junior and he may be an alternative to Redpath (who didn't play well against Richmond yesterday in the ressies). Fletch has also pinched hit in the ruck at VFL level. He didn't have a great game in the magoos yesterday, but has played reasonably well in previous weeks. He is also coming off a shortened pre-season.

This choice however infers that Boyd would need to continue to with most of the second ruck duties - this wouldn't be a bad option given his last qtr effort when Ayce went off.

I realise that Fletch is being moulded for a backline position at present, but with the back six looking settled, may as well look at other options for him.

Fletcher in - Ayce out.

Remi Moses
12-04-2015, 05:45 PM
I'd say possibly Hrovat for Goodes, but I'd keep the bigs in for an extended period.
In one week out the next, and the poor delivery into the 50 make it hard for a key marking big.
Agree that Ayce is a second ruckman more than a forward.

boydogs
12-04-2015, 05:58 PM
No matter what happens, surely we can't start a dance where Cordy plays one week and Redpath the next. I hate Yo-Yo selections - pick one and give them 4 or 5 games to make a go of it...THEN if they still aren't contributing in the required manner send them back to the VFL.

I would rather keep trying different options than have to sub the CHF off every game because they are a liability when guys like Honeychurch are buggered by 3/4 time

F'scary
12-04-2015, 06:42 PM
I'd go Redpath for Cordy, Hrovat for Goodes and Grant back to the sub.

I've revised my first thoughts considerably having watched the replay. Grant is a definite starter, too good to be the sub. Perhaps play Crameri at CHF since from reports Redpath had an average game for Footscray and Campbell is not playing as well as Cordy in the twos. Cordy goes out. Goodes goes out. That makes for 2 spots to fill: Hrovat and Webb for his first game.

Rocco Jones
12-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Redpath and Cordy have been our least effective players in the respective games they played. Tom Boyd hasn't been too far off them. Not only have our tall forwards/2nd ruck types struggled, the oppositions best tall defender have cut us up going the other way.
McGovern and Rance combined for 54 disposals and 25 marks.

I think we can't afford to play Cordy or Redpath AND Tom Boyd. What's the point of tall forwards when they neither mark or are able to compete (Boyd was ok at the latter round 1). Ayce/Redders can come in if they bang the door down in the VFL.

Today Essendon played only 1 guy resembling a ruck man (I think T Boyd resembles one) vs two out and out Hawk rucks. Perhaps we can expose them/turn a weaknesses into a positive.

For mine
In- Hrovat, Hunter
Out- Goodes, Cordy

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-04-2015, 11:06 PM
I mentioned in a thread last week that Goodes is insurance cover for the younger players while they ready themselves for senior selection, and therefore believe he goes out for Hrovat who needs to get senior experience - we are still a developing side and should be looking at the bigger picture and Hrovat with ball in hand is a better kick than Goodes.

I'd like to go down a different track re CHF.

Fletcher Roberts has played CHF as a junior and he may be an alternative to Redpath (who didn't play well against Richmond yesterday in the ressies). Fletch has also pinched hit in the ruck at VFL level. He didn't have a great game in the magoos yesterday, but has played reasonably well in previous weeks. He is also coming off a shortened pre-season.

This choice however infers that Boyd would need to continue to with most of the second ruck duties - this wouldn't be a bad option given his last qtr effort when Ayce went off.

I realise that Fletch is being moulded for a backline position at present, but with the back six looking settled, may as well look at other options for him.

Fletcher in - Ayce out.

I like your thinking but is Fletcher Roberts really ready. In spite of our two terrific wins we have done it with very little contributions from Boyd, Redpath or Cordy. Providing Campbell can improve his mobility and endurance he still looks the most likely to play as a forward cum ruck man. Rance was outstanding with 28 possessions playing on Tom Boyd which is a concern. Roberts was recruited as a key forward but we are yet to see the best of him, so he is a bit of an unknown factor. Neither Redpath or Cordy have proved that they are good enough to play at senior level, which is a concern. Roughead is playing very well at FB and you wouldn't want to play him forward now given our settled defence which has been excellent.
Crameri isn't a key forward and clearly plays his best football as a flanker.

The Doctor
13-04-2015, 07:02 PM
In: Hrovat, Hamling

Out: Picken, Cordy

GVGjr
13-04-2015, 07:15 PM
In: Hrovat, Hamling

Out: Picken, Cordy

Doc, I think we need Picken as there is some good match-ups for him and while I agree that on form Cordy should make way it's not ideal to bring him in for just one game.

Cordy for Hrovat or Hunter might give us that bit of extra run that we will need on a big oval like Aurora. Goodes might be in the mix but would be unlucky as well.

It's probably going to be a no change but I do believe we are one genuine mid light on at the moment.

Bulldog Joe
13-04-2015, 11:52 PM
I would like to see Hrovat in for Goodes.

Agree that Ayce needs to improve but feel he should get at least one more chance.

1eyedog
13-04-2015, 11:57 PM
I would like to see Hrovat in for Goodes.

Agree that Ayce needs to improve but feel he should get at least one more chance.

Me too, but I feel we need to continue the big man rotation and see what Hamling's got. Given that Redpath showed slightly more than Cordy did the previous week and got dropped I'm expecting Cordy to miss out.

Hrovat for Goodes
Hamling for Cordy

bornadog
14-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Me too, but I feel we need to continue the big man rotation and see what Hamling's got. Given that Redpath showed slightly more than Cordy did the previous week and got dropped I'm expecting Cordy to miss out.

Hrovat for Goodes
Hamling for Cordy

Do the Hawks have a big forward line? We may need Hamling down there.

divvydan
14-04-2015, 12:18 AM

Not really. They've been going with the rotating ruck, Roughead and Gunston as their height down forward. McEvoy is a decent mark for a ruckman, Roughy is a beast and Gunston is very very dangerous but I don't think they overpower us size wise there. Last year we played Roughy on Roughy and their Roughy dragged ours right up the ground and exposed the backline as a result. This year, I'd like to see Jordan stay deeper and use Talia as the higher defender, something we've already been doing. Morris can take Gunston when he's forward and when Gunston spends time down back, as he always does, Morris can move across onto Breust.

The bigger issue for our backline will be stopping their short passes into the forward 50. Not really a selection table thing as much as a concentration and team effort thing though.

1eyedog
14-04-2015, 12:22 AM

Not sure who they played against Essendon as I missed the game. They have a number of key backs that could play forward although Frawley did his shoulder. Hale goes forward as well. I thought Hamling would match up well physically on Gunston.

stefoid
14-04-2015, 12:24 AM
forecast says mostly sunny. I think a wet track would have improved our chances, perhaps taking the shine off hawthorns running and kicking skills,and we haventbeen marking the ball much inthe forwardline anyway.

ah well, you have to beat these teams lower on the ladder if you want to play finals!

Ozza
14-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Gunston is one of the best forwards in the comp. needs to be Morris on him.
I wouldn't be changing our back six.

Between Rough and Talia- they will match up on Roughead and whoever the resting ruck/forward is.

boydogs
14-04-2015, 01:08 AM
The matchups are fine but the quality is what will test us. They won't win due to mismatches, they'll win because they're better

Mantis
14-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Doc, I think we need Picken as there is some good match-ups for him and while I agree that on form Cordy should make way it's not ideal to bring him in for just one game.

That might be the case, but his inability to be effective by foot will kill us... His kicking (decison making) against Richmond was pathetic, but they were kind enough to give the ball straight back.. I don't think we will be so lucky agaisnt Hawthorn.

Mofra
14-04-2015, 10:31 AM
The bigger issue for our backline will be stopping their short passes into the forward 50. Not really a selection table thing as much as a concentration and team effort thing though.
Good point. Against Richmond we lost the inside 50 count but clearly made efforts to ensure all their shots were from distance, and on tight angles.
The Hawks are much better set shots for goal so this strategy may not be as effective.

I'm actually tempted to make no change, although I can see up to two (Goodes & Cordy possible outs).
Hrovat or Stevens must be close as they both seem to play a style of football that Bevo preaches. I'm not sure if any of the talls really put their hands up to challenge Cordy.

always right
14-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Who plays on Rioli?

Cyberdoggie
14-04-2015, 11:47 AM

I was thinking that myself, we may go a tall for a small. ie Cordy for Hrovat.
I'm sure Bevo will have a good idea on how he wants to combat their defence.

Mofra
14-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Who plays on Rioli?
Picken? We will probably rotate players through. Heck, we might see Bobby on Rioli at times. Play brave!

always right
14-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Picken? We will probably rotate players through. Heck, we might see Bobby on Rioli at times. Play brave!

It's why I asked the question...I think Picken might be needed for this thankless task. Not sure Murph is the right bloke for Rioli as Rioli's defensive work is very good and Murph might be too distracted to generate his usual attack out of defence.

Looking at other possibilities, I think JJ has the pace but not the football smarts, Honeychurch has the determination but not the pace, and Morris/Wood would also find him a bit slippery. And of course there is Boyd......nah.

Ghost Dog
14-04-2015, 02:01 PM
From Memory, Pickers has done a few shut down jobs on Rioli. IIRC kept him to 8 touches in one game.

DragzLS1
14-04-2015, 02:36 PM
From Memory, Pickers has done a few shut down jobs on Rioli. IIRC kept him to 8 touches in one game.

Thats nothing special imo, rioli usually only has 12 touches a game.. He just happens to do some crazy things with the ball that make it seem like he gets plenty of it.. I do thin picken should play, and should tag Rioli as long as possible.. Think we will do well this week with Luke's inside knowledge on how the hawks play, and who is a good match up.

Out Cordy, in redpath. I do wan't to see Hrovat play aswell :(

always right
14-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Thats nothing special imo, rioli usually only has 12 touches a game.. He just happens to do some crazy things with the ball that make it seem like he gets plenty of it.. I do thin picken should play, and should tag Rioli as long as possible.. Think we will do well this week with Luke's inside knowledge on how the hawks play, and who is a good match up.

Out Cordy, in redpath. I do wan't to see Hrovat play aswell :(

He can wreak havoc with 12 touches. Watched him against Essendon and he almost singlehandedly kept the hawks in it. I've always thought he was over rated but I was impressed.

LostDoggy
14-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Redders or the Big Soup in,(one to be the sub)
Cordy and Goodes out

divvydan
16-04-2015, 04:45 PM
There are rumours around about Bonts not training (stationary drills only). Has anyone been to training and know either way? Would obviously be a big loss if he misses.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 04:51 PM
There are rumours around about Bonts not training (stationary drills only). Has anyone been to training and know either way? Would obviously be a big loss if he misses.

Happy Days mentioned on Tuesday, in another thread, there were some issues with a quad, but didn't elaborate

Mofra
16-04-2015, 04:58 PM
BF says he has a corkie in his calf.
He may be restricted for a week in any case - spends more time forward?
We may play him as a tall forward and bring in a runner to replace Cordy to keep our midfield rotations up.

Happy Days
16-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Happy Days mentioned on Tuesday, in another thread, there were some issues with a quad, but didn't elaborate

I read elsewhere he had a compression bandage on it, but it was just a short snippet.

Honestly if there's anything wrong with him I wouldn't play him. Let's not forget that it's only his second year of football, and we're shaping up not to be done by round 14 this year.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 04:59 PM
BF says he has a corkie in his calf.
He may be restricted for a week in any case - spends more time forward?
We may play him as a tall forward and bring in a runner to replace Cordy to keep our midfield rotations up.

I think Hunter and Hrovat will come in this week.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Wood has tweaked his hamstring

Lukas Webb may debut

F'scary
16-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Wood has tweaked his hamstring

they must have held out his new contract at the finishing line.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 06:06 PM
they must have held out his new contract at the finishing line.

Lukas Webb to come in?

F'scary
16-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Lukas Webb to come in?

Would be a massive blow losing Wood but why not Webb? Other options would be Darley or Kobe Stevens (& move Picken into backline). But let's see if the journo has his facts straight.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Would be a massive blow losing Wood but why not Webb? Other options would be Darley or Kobe Stevens (& move Picken into backline). But let's see if the journo has his facts straight.

Stevo is usually pretty accurate. Wood will miss two weeks at least. (Bloody Hell)

Happy Days
16-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Stevo is usually pretty accurate. Wood will miss two weeks at least. (Bloody Hell)

Shit.

Who plays on Rioli/Breust now? JJ will take one of them (*tugs at collar*), are we happy with Boyd on the other or does Picken play back?

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Shit.

Who plays on Rioli/Breust now? JJ will take one of them (*tugs at collar*), are we happy with Boyd on the other or does Picken play back?

Is Biggs back yet? Darley?

bornadog
16-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Shit.

I think Picken will take Rioli

Is Biggs back yet? Darley?

Darley named in bests last week for Footscray. Biggs will play this week in VFL

F'scary
16-04-2015, 06:27 PM
I think Picken will take Rioli

Darley named in bests last week for Footscray. Biggs will play this week in VFL

Give Darley a go then. Time to test (and improve) our depth. Perhaps it would be better to develop Webb a bit more and introduce him later in the season against one of the weaker teams like Collingwood or Carlton.

GVGjr
16-04-2015, 07:27 PM
In

Lukas Webb, Nathan Hrovat, Fletcher Roberts, Koby Stevens

Out

Easton Wood (Hamstring)

Shame about Wood

I'm a little surprised by Roberts being one of the ins.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Anyone have Webb being called into the extended squad by round 3?

Eastdog
16-04-2015, 07:35 PM
So Bevo I'd say would have another 3 outs or not necessarily.

Remi Moses
16-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Webb's named on the Half back flank.
Congrats to the kid . Wood's injury is a blow no doubt, but good to keep giving a kid a go.

jazzadogs
16-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Webb named on a half back flank. Well done young man, has impressed me greatly in the Nab Challenge, VFL matches and pre-season highlights that I have seen.

Extended bench: Grant, Crameri, Hrovat, Roberts, Stevens, Picken, Goodes

My pick: Grant, Crameri, Picken. Sub Hrovat

azabob
16-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Anyone have Webb being called into the extended squad by round 3?

I did last Saturday! :D

Remi Moses
16-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Webb named on a half back flank. Well done young man, has impressed me greatly in the Nab Challenge, VFL matches and pre-season highlights that I have seen.

Extended bench: Grant, Crameri, Hrovat, Roberts, Stevens, Picken, Goodes

My pick: Grant, Crameri, Picken. Sub Hrovat

Me as well . Hrovat for Goodes

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 08:03 PM
I did last Saturday! :D

Ok... a part from Aza picking him. :)

G-Mo77
16-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Ahh Webb is playing. Only saw In/Outs. Well done young man.

Cyberdoggie
16-04-2015, 10:20 PM
In

Lukas Webb, Nathan Hrovat, Fletcher Roberts, Koby Stevens

Out

Easton Wood (Hamstring)

Shame about Wood

I'm a little surprised by Roberts being one of the ins.

What about Cordy still in the 18.
Unless there is some changes before Sunday i'm a bit surprised by this

Hotdog60
16-04-2015, 10:55 PM
What's the weather like in Tassie for the weekend? Let change if it's not big man weather

1eyedog
16-04-2015, 10:57 PM
What's the weather like in Tassie for the weekend? Let change if it's not big man weather

Apparently sunny. I want Hrovat to play with Grant the sub.

Go_Dogs
17-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Happy to see Webb included, will be interesting to see how the final 22 looks.

Do we think Fletch is in the squad as a swingman?

jazzadogs
17-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Happy to see Webb included, will be interesting to see how the final 22 looks.

Do we think Fletch is in the squad as a swingman?

Possibly. Has been routinely beaten both times I've seen him in the past month (Geelong and Richmond), so gotta say I'm suprised to see he's even being raised as an option!

Go_Dogs
17-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Possibly. Has been routinely beaten both times I've seen him in the past month (Geelong and Richmond), so gotta say I'm suprised to see he's even being raised as an option!

Agreed. I thought Hamling was a good chance after watching last weekend and Wood being out.

The only thing I could think of was Roberts can play both ends (not saying Hamling can't) and if Cordy goes out we may want another solid body up front to support Boyd.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Agreed. I thought Hamling was a good chance after watching last weekend and Wood being out.

The only thing I could think of was Roberts can play both ends (not saying Hamling can't) and if Cordy goes out we may want another solid body up front to support Boyd.

Just on Hamling he kicked a couple of bags of 6 goals when playing for Geelong in the VFL if my memory serves me correct.

Twodogs
17-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Just on Hamling he kicked a couple of bags of 6 goals when playing for Geelong in the VFL if my memory serves me correct.

From memory he kicked a bag of 6 last year.

Cyberdoggie
17-04-2015, 02:08 PM
From memory he kicked a bag of 6 last year.

So he's more credentialed than Fletch is as a fwd!

Twodogs
17-04-2015, 03:45 PM
So he's more credentialed than Fletch is as a fwd!

Fletch slotted the money shot last year. He's OK with me.

bornadog
17-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Bonti not a certainty to play.

bornadog
17-04-2015, 05:44 PM
from The Age

Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs are confronting injury problems to key players for their clash in Launceston on Sunday.Hawk winger Bradley Hill is almost certain to miss the match, with residual effects of concussion, and dynamic young Bulldog Marcus Bontempelli is under a cloud with a calf injury.

Bontempelli was named in the team and is expected to fly to Tasmania as the Dogs give him time to be fit, but he has struggled with tightness and soreness in the calf all week.
His loss would be significant for the Dogs who have impressed in the opening rounds and who will fancy their chances against the reigning premiers after their loss to Essendon last Sunday.

Bontempelli has been best-on-ground in the Dogs' two wins.

Hill is understood to have passed concussion tests after a head knock, but the club will not take chances with him.
Hill would be a significant loss for the Hawks as he is one of the few players to give the team outside run. Hawthorn rely heavily on Hill, Isaac Smith and Liam Shiels for line-breaking running.
Shiels is already missing with a hamstring injury and the Hawks are expected to include another runner in the team.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Ok. I believe the term is 'parley'.

divvydan
17-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Hawthorn changes

In: Mitchell, Gibson, Whitecross
Out: Frawley (Pectoral), O'Rourke (Omitted), Sicily (Omitted)

Sicily or Hartung likely to be cover for Hill

bornadog
17-04-2015, 05:57 PM
WBulldogs

Int; Grant, Crameri, Picken, Goodes.

Emerg; Hrovat, Roberts, Stevens.

Webb in for Wood.

bornadog
17-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Full back
M Boyd
J Roughead
D Morris

Half back
R Murphy
M Talia
L Webb

Centreline
T Dickson
M Honeychurch
J Johannisen

Half forward
L Dahlhaus
A Cordy
J Macrae

Full forward
J Stringer
T Boyd
M Wallis

Followers
W Minson
L Jong
M Bontempelli

Interchange
J Grant
S Crameri
L Picken

B Goodes

Emergencies
N Hrovat
F Roberts
K Stevens

In: L Webb
Out: E Wood
New: L Webb (Gippsland Power - TAC Cup)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Coaching staff must really rate the impact Webb can have to put him in so early in the season and against the reigning premiers too. Kudos to the kid for moving so quickly up the pecking order so quickly. He must be really adapting to the rigours of professional football not to mention the team ethos.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Bonti not a certainty to play.

Heard a whisper Tom Boyd isn't a certainty to play either.

ratsmac
17-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Flights booked - check
Hotel booked - check
Car hire booked - check
Footy tickets attained - check

Guess who's going to tassie?

I'm pumped. I haven't done an interstater for years and I've never been to tassie either. Just hope the Doggies help make it a good trip all round.
I just read Bontempelli may miss with a calf..... That's it, the trip is off!
I hope the Fooch plays because I've been telling the Mrs that he is a sight to see in full flight! This is her first match in a while and she has picked the game he doesn't play. It will be like when the Griswold's rocked up to wally world and it was shut!

bornadog
17-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Heard a whisper Tom Boyd isn't a certainty to play either.

So Fletch in

Bulldog4life
17-04-2015, 07:37 PM
So Fletch in

Not sure. Heard it on SEN. I think it was Dr. Turf who said it.

ledge
17-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Maybe he got confused with Bont and Boyd?

azabob
17-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Not sure. Heard it on SEN. I think it was Dr. Turf who said it.

Is it Tom or Matt?

GVGjr
17-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Expect changes.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Maybe he got confused with Bont and Boyd?

Said both of them. Exact words were "Two big changes and I mean big".

Bulldog4life
17-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Is it Tom or Matt?

I presumed it was Tom but honestly he didn't say

azabob
17-04-2015, 10:21 PM
I presumed it was Tom but honestly he didn't say

I heard it also and presumed T.Boyd and Bontempelli.

ratsmac
18-04-2015, 12:14 AM
I heard it also and presumed T.Boyd and Bontempelli.

During the Richmond game replay, I heard the commentators mention the Matty Boyd went off the ground early with a calf complaint. However he returned to the field and played out the match. I wonder if this could be anything...

Testekill
18-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I've heard that Matt is the Boyd that is a late withdrawal. Big issue is that I can't really see Stevens or Hrovat replacing him in that role and Fletch would be a bit too tall to have on a flank or as a pocket.

The Underdog
18-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I've heard that Matt is the Boyd that is a late withdrawal. Big issue is that I can't really see Stevens or Hrovat replacing him in that role and Fletch would be a bit too tall to have on a flank or as a pocket.

I'd think maybe Goodes might play that HB role. Reasonable user and reads the play pretty well. Not quick, but either is Boyd. Hrovat or Stevens in as a sub/extra mid rotation. If it's M.Boyd and Bont out then Hrovat and Stevens would seem the logical replacements. Both can take midfield rotations and/or play forward.

Bulldog4life
18-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Be interesting to see how many of the emergencies play today for Footscray.

LostDoggy
18-04-2015, 12:53 PM
I was at training on Tues and Thurs and Matt Boyd and Bonti didn't train at either session
Tom definitely trained at both. So I would assume both Moyd and Bont are a strong chance of not playing.

GVGjr
18-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Both Matthew Boyd and Marcus Bontempelli will fly to Launceston but will be game time decisions

LostDoggy
18-04-2015, 02:09 PM
None of Hawthorns 3 emergencies are playing today either?

LostDoggy
18-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Matty Boyd out - Koby in. AFL tweet

Josh Prudden now an emergency

LostDoggy
18-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Also Beveridge has confirmed Bont will play.

F'scary
18-04-2015, 02:17 PM

Who is going to play HBF in Matt Boyd's place then? Kobe has not looked much chop when played in defence, in my opinion.

LostDoggy
18-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Who is going to play HBF in Matt Boyd's place then? Kobe has not looked much chop when played in defence, in my opinion.

And not helped either with Wood missing

Before I Die
18-04-2015, 02:22 PM

Brett Goodes more than likely.

G-Mo77
18-04-2015, 02:28 PM
I didn't read any news while driving. Matty Boyd walked past me today and figured he wasn't playing ☺

Twodogs
18-04-2015, 02:48 PM

Lukas Webb.

jeemak
18-04-2015, 03:24 PM
It's official:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-04-18/boyd-withdrawn-for-hawks

Hotdog60
18-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I like the way Bevo responded to the reporter about us following a Hawthorn blueprint.

He asked them what part of us is Hawthorn like and they had trouble responding.

LostDoggy
18-04-2015, 04:49 PM
I like the way Bevo responded to the reporter about us following a Hawthorn blueprint.

He asked them what part of us is Hawthorn like and they had trouble responding.

Yeah I loved that. He was obviously offended as the implication is that he can't coach to his own playbook, he has simply copied what he learnt at Hawthorn.

bornadog
18-04-2015, 06:33 PM

Why Stevens? I thought Hrovat was very good last week, and from what I saw of Stevens, hasn't improved one bit from last year, especially his ridiculous disposals putting team mates under pressure.

Before I Die
18-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Why Stevens? I thought Hrovat was very good last week, and from what I saw of Stevens, hasn't improved one bit from last year, especially his ridiculous disposals putting team mates under pressure.

Maybe with Goodes going back to cover for Boyd and with Bont under a cloud, Bevo wants another big body in the midfield.

bulldogtragic
18-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Apparently Hill is out for them too.

F'scary
18-04-2015, 07:15 PM

Queue the Underdog. 1, 2, 3...

boydogs
18-04-2015, 07:34 PM
The 2 HBF's out is not good. Breust, Rioli, Gunston would be licking their lips

The Underdog
18-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah I loved that. He was obviously offended as the implication is that he can't coach to his own playbook, he has simply copied what he learnt at Hawthorn.

I think the defensive end has a lot of Hawthorn like traits but considering Bevo was the defensive line coach for the Hawks, he may have taught them a lot of that anyway. It's been one of the massive areas of improvement in a short amount of time.

The Underdog
18-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Queue the Underdog. 1, 2, 3...

I saw the Koby alarm going off....I got here as fast as I could.

jeemak
18-04-2015, 07:59 PM

Mate, best response. I really can't think of a better one.

Remi Moses
18-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Clearly the bigger bodied mid won the day . Goodes to go back and Stevens in the middle.
Not sold on either to be honest, and Hrovat's a better bet long term. Prudden looks like he may get a run shortly.

Remi Moses
18-04-2015, 08:02 PM

Hot potato handball alert

bornadog
18-04-2015, 08:06 PM

Hopefully he backs up your concerns and plays well. Does he deserve to be in before Hrovat? Me thinks not.

The Underdog
18-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Hot potato handball alert

I guess they just wanted another composed silky kick to replace Boyd.

Wouldn't be surprised if he starts as the sub to be honest.

The Underdog
18-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Hopefully he backs up your concerns and plays well. Does he deserve to be in before Hrovat? Me thinks not.

Well seeing as neither you or I pick the team it doesn't really matter much what we think.
I'm on record as saying that from the 2 quarters I saw from Koby last week, one was pretty good and the other was pretty bad. I can't speak to the other 2. I thought Hrovat was clearly best on ground last week in the 2 quarters I watched, but neither of us know what role Koby is being asked to fill and considering Hrovat didn't play today, that he isn't going to be lining up also.

F'scary
18-04-2015, 08:49 PM

And I think he could do quite well if he gets a lead up role at HFF or on the wing. He could go under the radar with the Hawks defence and kick a few too.

jeemak
18-04-2015, 09:39 PM
So if I've got this right, Koby Stevens is now the only player on our list who isn't allowed to play because of a deficiency or two?

He's been as strong a performer as anyone that hasn't played in the seniors for most of the summer and early games. Hrovat will get his chance, and considering his body has let him down early in the season regularly I don't see any issues in holding him back for a bit and let an older and harder body into the side.

GVGjr
18-04-2015, 09:53 PM
So if I've got this right, Koby Stevens is now the only player on our list who isn't allowed to play because of a deficiency or two?

He's been as strong a performer as anyone that hasn't played in the seniors for most of the summer and early games. Hrovat will get his chance, and considering his body has let him down early in the season regularly I don't see any issues in holding him back for a bit and let an older and harder body into the side.

I think Stevens is a good player and is regarded as a leader within the younger playing list. Like you, I don't get why so many target him for as much criticism he receives on here. Sure he has some area's to improve on but I would back the player and the coaches to continue working on them. I'm hoping he has a solid game tomorrow.

The Underdog
18-04-2015, 10:57 PM

To be honest I defend him way harder than I really want to for exactly this reason. I see a high effort player who is very physical around the ball and is a pretty good kick who has some areas of his game he needs to work on. He's basically no different to a Clay Smith with different deficiencies but for some reason he gets very little leeway whereas others get plenty. I'm not even convinced he's best 22 but he's thereabouts and he can certainly play a role.

lemmon
18-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Another happy with the Kobe inclusion. The Hawks midfield is big bodied and hard on the inside, we need to match them in there and apart from Wallis we are light on for genuine inside mids who can scrap it out with them. No doubt Hrovat's skill by foot offers more than Steven's kicking but it's not much good if we can't get our hands on the footy first. Wallis, Stevens and Goodes have a big role to play tomorrow scrapping on the inside, trying to feed the ball our way and hitting skin.

He's been more a flanker than mid thus far but I'm hoping Stevens plays more of a centre square role tomorrow.

bornadog
18-04-2015, 11:42 PM
I think Stevens is a good player and is regarded as a leader within the younger playing list. Like you, I don't get why so many target him for as much criticism he receives on here. Sure he has some area's to improve on but I would back the player and the coaches to continue working on them. I'm hoping he has a solid game tomorrow.

I am going on form and Hrovat seems to be in form compared to Stevens at this stage.

LostDoggy
19-04-2015, 07:09 AM
After hearing Koby is playing I wonder if Webby has asked C Daniel if he can borrow his helmet!

HOSE B ROMERO
19-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Weather alert..on this wintry Melbourne morning, i was licking my lips with anticipation of a stormy day down south in Launceston... but no it's going to be 15 and sunny. :mad:

Maddog37
19-04-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm happy for Koby to be picked. I'm happy to back pretty much any decision Bevo makes at this stage.

kruder
19-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Like a few surprised at the lack of love for Stevens and for awhile the lack of love for Wood on this blog(seems most are finally on board). I would have thought the Elephant in the room would have been Cordy?

bornadog
19-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Bonti out.

Hrovat in

Goodes is sub.

Go_Dogs
19-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Bonti out.

Hrovat in

Goodes is sub.

Disappointing Bont is out, but a good opportunity for Hrovat.

bornadog
19-04-2015, 12:56 PM
LATE CHANGES

Hawthorn: Bradley Hill replaced in selected side by Billy Hartung

Western Bulldogs: Marcus Bontempelli replaced in selected side by Nathan Hrovat

FINAL INTERCHANGES
Hawthorn: Will Langford, Taylor Duryea, Billy Hartung
Substitute: Jed Anderson

Western Bulldogs: Nathan Hrovat, Lukas Webb, Koby Stevens
Substitute: Brett Goodes

Greystache
19-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Maybe Hrovat AND Stevens were playing all along, and this whole debate about why Stevens was ahead of Hrovat was moot.

LostDoggy
19-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Bont will be the first player ever to withdraw from a match with injury yet still claim BOG honours.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2015, 03:31 PM
The way Hrovat and Stevens have played to half time, it'll be a short lived stay in the senior side (injuries permitting, Goodes permitting). Long story short - they've been poor.