PDA

View Full Version : Where will McMahon play in 2007

bornadog
24-01-2007, 11:13 PM
In the second half of the year, I felt McMahon went off the boil just a little, he wasn't dashing down the ground kicking his long low punts. He ended up coming of the bench abit.

I was thinking, will Eade pesist with him in the backline? Where would you play him?

The Bulldogs Bite
25-01-2007, 12:41 AM
In the second half of the year, I felt McMahon went off the boil just a little, he wasn't dashing down the ground kicking his long low punts. He ended up coming of the bench abit.

I was thinking, will Eade pesist with him in the backline? Where would you play him?

McMahon started on the bench often in the second half of the season, but not due to form IMO, as I thought he was consistently good. I think it was more of a trying to give him a bit of a rest.

He'll play much of the same role as he did in 2006. Backline with stints in the middle. Griffen, Power, Aker are all players he could and probably will interchange with.

LostDoggy
25-01-2007, 07:28 AM
He is a brilliant but frustrating player. Love his run and drive but hate his poor decision making. I'm prepared to allow for the odd error though because his of brilliance.

I think HBF suits his game better but I wouldn't rule out some midfield duties.

Go_Dogs
25-01-2007, 10:41 AM
He was played forward to some effect at stages as well, and I thought he did reasonably well in that role. He is so valuable off the half back line, much like say, McLeod, because he can run the ball so well, and deliver with precision. I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting more time through the middle and wings though this year, as he continues to build his motor.

GVGjr
26-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I have to say that across half back with Griffen would be my preferred position for McMahon. He can be lethal at times but he must make some improvement on the defensive side of his game. Still has some problems with his concentration and those lapses can cost us.

Hard Ball Get
26-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I think his role will be similar. Playing off half back or coming on off the bench to burst off the flank.

I dont want to see him playing a role like we saw when we played Collingwood at the Dome. He was playing in Leon Davis and his defensive skills were pretty ordinary, Davis cut us apart.

alwaysadog
28-01-2007, 08:44 AM
His job won't change much. He is there as much to receive the ball when other defenders are under pressure and run like the wind. It stands to reason that the more you do the more mistakes you make.
Sometimes like Eagle when he looks up after bursting away there's nothing on offer. Still for everytime he stuffs up there are times it works and it unsettles the opposition when they can't go with him, and sometimes we are able to keep up either.
Don't rule out carrying injury as a part reason for bench starts. I've seen him a cripple on Tuesday and play well at the week end. Given our injury list a few played last season when they should have been rested and would have been in any half normal year.

Dry Rot
28-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Sometimes like Eagle when he looks up after bursting away there's nothing on offer.

Having players like Murphy, McDougall, Darcy etc on the paddock should make their lives easier this season.

dog town
29-01-2007, 03:17 PM
I think last year Eade tried to push him through the midfield more and I saw signs of him being able to be a very effective midfielder even in the centre square itself. He is not a natural endurance athlete and although he has great pace his lack of endurance has meant that when Eade used him through the middle he also spent plenty of time on the bench. He has only had one uninterrupted pre season which I think contributes to him not being able to go for long periods.

I have always maintained he is one of our most important players because of his ability and willingness to take risks. It cuts sides open and I am happy for him to have the odd turnover. As for where he should play I think he will play a bit of both. He is much more reliable as a defender now and isolating him in the square is no longer a sure fire way of negating him . He will push into the midfield when we need a bit of a burst as well.

LostDoggy
29-01-2007, 04:13 PM
I think last year Eade tried to push him through the midfield more and I saw signs of him being able to be a very effective midfielder even in the centre square itself. He is not a natural endurance athlete and although he has great pace his lack of endurance has meant that when Eade used him through the middle he also spent plenty of time on the bench. He has only had one uninterrupted pre season which I think contributes to him not being able to go for long periods.

I have always maintained he is one of our most important players because of his ability and willingness to take risks. It cuts sides open and I am happy for him to have the odd turnover. As for where he should play I think he will play a bit of both. He is much more reliable as a defender now and isolating him in the square is no longer a sure fire way of negating him . He will push into the midfield when we need a bit of a burst as well.

Well thought out contribution but he is still somehwhat a risky player as far as I am concerned. I don't rate him as being that valuable to our structure because we have a few other players capable of doing what he does. In an open space he is as good as anyone but under pressure he coughs the ball up a bit to much for my liking.
As I previously mentioned he can be brilliant but there is a fair gap between his best and worst footballer. If you compare him to Gilbee I think Gilbee is a more reliable player.

McMahon off HB or on a wing is a winner for us. In the BP or in the centre square I'm not as confident. Like you I question his match fitness.