PDA

View Full Version : Tackling and forward pressure

Rocco Jones
08-04-2015, 09:11 PM
We laid 94 tackles against the Eagles. The next best for the round was 77.

Even more of a standout was our 25 tackles inside our forward 50, almost double the next best of the round (13 tackles).

Let's see how we go for the rest of the season!

1eyedog
08-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Upon reflection it was obvious on the night, even though I hadn't considered it.

Stringer is a beast down there. He's on you in a flash and doesn't let go. Our tackles inside F50 gave us four direct free goals that I can remember and this doesn't include turn overs from tackles etc. (i.e the Honeychurch tackle that resulted in Stringer's snap goal).

Hotdog60
08-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Honeychurch is a terrier or pitbull I like him up forward if he can slot a couple of goals a game and keep up the intensity he'll keep his spot.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2015, 09:46 PM
We laid 94 tackles against the Eagles. The next best for the round was 77.

Even more of a standout was our 25 tackles inside our forward 50, almost double the next best of the round (13 tackles).

Let's see how we go for the rest of the season!

One of the first things Bevo was on about when he walked in the door apparently.

Sedat
08-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Amazing numbers considering our best tackler by far in the last few seasons has been Tom Liberatore.

Maddog37
08-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Amazing numbers considering our best tackler by far in the last few seasons has been Tom Liberatore.

Don't forget those gun tacklers in Higgins, Cooney and Jones!!

Sorry, poor form.

bornadog
08-04-2015, 11:49 PM
The dogs have been ferocious with tackling in the last two games (including Collingwood)

Guys like Dickson have been running hard and tackling like I haven't seen before.

lemmon
09-04-2015, 02:00 AM
The dogs have been ferocious with tackling in the last two games (including Collingwood)

Guys like Dickson have been running hard and tackling like I haven't seen before.

He looks to have slimmed down and really added a yard to his pace. Brings a whole new dimension to his game

Throughandthrough
09-04-2015, 02:43 AM
Many small forwards rate tackled inside 50 a better stat than goals kicked

Go_Dogs
09-04-2015, 08:50 AM
He looks to have slimmed down and really added a yard to his pace. Brings a whole new dimension to his game

Yep, he's really got some wheels.

Good stats, thanks Rocco.

Mofra
09-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Stringer is a beast down there. He's on you in a flash and doesn't let go. Our tackles inside F50 gave us four direct free goals that I can remember and this doesn't include turn overs from tackles etc. (i.e the Honeychurch tackle that resulted in Stringer's snap goal).
Honey had one outside the F50 that resulted in a F50 entry as well as the ball spilled out. I'm sure the coaches will show it in the review.

ratsmac
09-04-2015, 11:37 AM
The tackling was a real highlight wasn't it. I loved how the small blokes (Dahl, Honey) wouldn't care about the size of the bloke they were tackling. I remember Dahl just jumping at Lysett front on and wrapped all fours around him. They were ferocious! If we bring that every week we will trouble most sides.

F'scary
09-04-2015, 12:05 PM
It is very positive and we are achieving this by applying what is probably the heaviest forward press in the competition. There is a down side and that is increased exposure to the rebound. It is also very labour intensive which could lead to fatigue issues, although these have not been evident in Round 1 or the last NAB Cup match. I would hope that Bevo's direction is to tweak the press over time to get a little more balance into our game. If we can hold more marks inside the 50m arc than we did against the West Cokers, that will improve the situation as well.

dog town
09-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Looks like they have done a lot of work on when to go in for the tackle too. We had players sitting off waiting for their turn to go in and tackle and almost sweating on the next guy to receive the ball. We rarely had 2-3 players going at the ball carrier and allowing a runner to get out. It was one in...tackle...ball released... next guy tackles and so on until it turns over. There is a real method to it which takes a long time to teach. Clubs play small sided games relentlessly to improve things like this.