PDA

View Full Version : In the Past - v Richmond

bornadog
09-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Over the years we have had some great battles against the Tigers, especially out at the WO.

In 1974 we had a pretty good season and hadn't played finals since 1961 - yes a very long draught and tough for a young lad like me to stick by them.

In 1974 the Tigers were also doing well, and in round 11, we played them at the MCG in front of a record crowd between the two clubs of 68,447. It was a pretty good game and at three quarter time we were 11.8 to 10.13. Unfortunately, the Tigers kicked 9 in the last and we lost by 33 points. The Bulldogs were a little overwhelmed that day and I remember the captain Sandilands said he couldn't believe the roar of the crowd when they ran on to the ground.

On ANZAC Day 1983, in front of 51,651 people, one of my favourite all time games was played. In the first quarter we kicked 10.3 to 3 points. What a quarter, Richmond couldn't get near the ball. In the 2nd quarter the tables were turned around and Richmond kicked 8.10 to our two solitary goals. In the end we won by 2 points, a thrilling game.

There have been many great games and I won't spoil it by naming all of them as I am sure posters would love to reminisce themselves about there favourite games or moments against the Tigers.

I am looking forward to seeing a big crowd on Saturday and another great contest.

Twodogs
09-04-2015, 05:52 PM
I don't remember 1974 but I remember 1983 vividly. I remember being at the game and it being such an exciting finish.

bornadog
09-04-2015, 05:54 PM
I don't remember 1974 but I remember 1983 vividly. I remember being at the game and it being such an exciting finish.

Edmond kicked 7 that day.

I don't remember much about the game in 1974, but do remember the huge crowd. We were pretty well represented that day as well.

1eyedog
09-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Round 1 2006 Western Bulldogs 25.17 (167) def Richmond 7.10 (52) in front of a 44,000 at Telstra Dome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjC5vMQMqas

westdog54
09-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Round 1, 2006, at Docklands.

After leading comfortably at half time, the Dogs finally decided to get going and piled on 16 goals to 2 in the second half, including 9 in the third, to start the season with a 115 point victory. At one point in the third quarter Matthew Richardson was sent to play loose in the backline to stem the flow.

Scott West starred with 33 possessions and 3 votes, Gia got 2 for his 30 touches and 11 marks, whilst Brad Johnson's 5 goals landed him one vote.

The bulldog tragician
09-04-2015, 06:56 PM
The 83 match stands out. One of Steve Wallis ' first games. And Edmond took an absolute screamer. After being in the footy wilderness with a few diabolical years, to play in a big match was so exciting; you could see the framework of the team that contended in 85.

There was a memorable grudge match after Libber had king hit Knights early in the season. The Tigers were set for revenge and won by a few points after an obvious free to Nathan Brown (in our colours) was overlooked. Can't remember the year, but the fervour of the Tigers fans was frightening. They can be a scary mob.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-04-2015, 07:05 PM
One of my first games was the Dogs v Tiges at Waverley in 84. They had just acquired ex Doggies Michael McKenna & Chris Burton too I think. I recall we won that day.

bornadog
09-04-2015, 07:24 PM
One of my first games was the Dogs v Tiges at Waverley in 84. They had just acquired ex Doggies Michael McKenna & Chris Burton too I think. I recall we won that day.

The 1985 game at Waverley was a ripper too. Beasley with 12 goals.

Twodogs
09-04-2015, 09:12 PM
I saw Beasley kick 12, or 11 maybe, in the opening round against Richmond. At the Whitten Oval. 1984 I think.

Remi Moses
09-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Controversial decision to let Mick McKenna go at the time.
I think we may have played them twice at Waverley that year, because we lost late in the year to them.
Cost a finals place .
Remember their massive support in 1980 at the Whitten oval, and probably the first time I'd seen us massively out supported at home.

Remi Moses
09-04-2015, 09:17 PM

I reckon we lost that game . Didn't play them twice at Waverley as Malthouses first game was at home .

Twodogs
09-04-2015, 09:20 PM
I reckon we lost that game . Didn't play them twice at Waverley as Malthouses first game was at home .

That's right. First round v Richmond was at home in 1984. Malthouse's first game as coach.

Twodogs
09-04-2015, 09:24 PM
But I'm pretty sure we played North twice at VFL park in 1985.

bornadog
09-04-2015, 10:12 PM
I saw Beasley kick 12, or 11 maybe, in the opening round against Richmond. At the Whitten Oval. 1984 I think.

Yes he kicked 11.4 and we won by 7 goals

bornadog
09-04-2015, 10:16 PM

Correct lost that one at Waverley. Interesting there were only 13,000 fans there.

bornadog
09-04-2015, 10:18 PM
But I'm pretty sure we played North twice at VFL park in 1985.

Good memory.

LostDoggy
09-04-2015, 10:51 PM
1997 Round 3 @ the 'G'
Remember watching it on the big screen @ Highett R.S.L. through Optus Vision.
$2 bourbon pots all day.:p
Long goal by Bubba in the last and remember him fist pumping in the face of some richmond spud on the way back to the centre square.
From memory his was the sealer and we won by about 20pts.
No one gave us a chance and we came like a train. :D
Well and truly emotional by the final siren.
A few diggers didn't appreciate me smashing Sons Of The West out when the final siren rang.

craigsahibee
10-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Edmond kicked 7 that day.

I don't remember much about the game in 1974, but do remember the huge crowd. We were pretty well represented that day as well.

I reckon Jock might have had 5 by Qtr time on ANZAC Day in 83. I have highlights of that game on VHS at home. Friday Night Viewing sorted.

Remi Moses
10-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Correct lost that one at Waverley. Interesting there were only 13,000 fans there.

Sort of proves a myth about Richmond's loyal fan base:rolleyes:
I think we were leading at 3/4 time as well

craigsahibee
10-04-2015, 05:29 PM
1997 Round 3 @ the 'G'
Remember watching it on the big screen @ Highett R.S.L. through Optus Vision.
$2 bourbon pots all day.:p
Long goal by Bubba in the last and remember him fist pumping in the face of some richmond spud on the way back to the centre square.
From memory his was the sealer and we won by about 20pts.
No one gave us a chance and we came like a train. :D
Well and truly emotional by the final siren.
A few diggers didn't appreciate me smashing Sons Of The West out when the final siren rang.

I remember a night game at the G against the Tigers in the late 90's where we overran them again in the last quarter. It was the night that James Cook had a shot at goal after the siren at either qtr or 3 qtr time, and played on.

I do recall in the last quarter as we smashed them, Wayne Campbell was screaming at his Tiger team mates. I can only assume it was about accountability although Campbell had not been within 20 metres of a Bulldog opponent all night.

bornadog
10-04-2015, 05:31 PM
I remember a night game at the G against the Tigers in the late 90's where we overran them again in the last quarter. It was the night that James Cook had a shot at goal after the siren at either qtr or 3 qtr time, and played on.

I do recall in the last quarter as we smashed them, Wayne Campbell was screaming at his Tiger team mates. I can only assume it was about accountability although Campbell had not been within 20 metres of a Bulldog opponent all night.

God I hated Campbell.

Maddog37
10-04-2015, 05:48 PM
God I hated Campbell.

Me too BAD. With a passion.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Ah yes correct. My memory is a bit shaky. Now i recall the only time i saw us win at VFL park was against North. Can't recall if it was in 84 or early 85 though. I moved to Qld in May 85. I do remember Rod Macpherson knocking Keith Greig out.
i also remember Melbourne smashing us at VFL park in 84 cause i lost a bet with teacher and had to do double homework as a result.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-04-2015, 11:26 PM
Yes, lots of memories but the one that stands out is Anzac day at the MCG in '83. After being in the wilderness, the dogs had made a bright start to the season (recruited Purser, Sewell and Williams etc). I was there with 2 tiger mates and we sat in the old Olympic Stand about a dozen rows from the fence. 10 goals to zip at qtr time of which i think Jock had 5. I think he finished with 6. The tiges gradually pegged us back and from memory the ball was in Jimmy 'the ghost' Jess's hands near the centre when the final siren sounded. I was so ecstatic i yelled 'bring on the bombers'! (we played Essendon at windy hill the next week). The following week they trounced us by 132 points...

Another match was one at Etihad maybe around 2008 when we were 18 points down at the beginning of time on and Johnno kicked 3 to snatch a draw from certain defeat. Ahh... those tigers certainly know how to suffer.

Strangely enough i can never recall any tiger games at the Western oval and i must have seen them play us there a dozen times.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Round 1 2006 Western Bulldogs 25.17 (167) def Richmond 7.10 (52) in front of a 44,000 at Telstra Dome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjC5vMQMqas

Yes that was the first game i took my new partner to. Her ex had been a rabid tiger supporter...heh, heh....yeah.

Remi Moses
11-04-2015, 12:49 AM
Games at the W/O I remember.
Ian Morrison keeping Roach goalless in 79
Terry Keys kicking a bag against us, and Richo ( in his early career) kicking a few against us
Simon Beasley dined out against them constantly

Twodogs
11-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Games at the W/O I remember.
Ian Morrison keeping Roach goalless in 79
Terry Keys kicking a bag against us, and Richo ( in his early career) kicking a few against us
Simon Beasley dined out against them constantly

Kickless IIRC. And the big Vee team had just been announced with Roach in and Templeton not picked.