PDA

View Full Version : The 2015 Version of J. Grant

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Round 2:

A rolling look at Grant:

1. Sitting a kick back on HB, zoning too. Gets free spot poor kicked and a pack spoils
2. Just later sees boys in trouble near boundary on def 50. Sprints 50 metres to other side of ground to start play. Gets back kick from Dahl and it goes out of bounds.
3. Great kick on centre wing to hit a team mate on the chest
4. Sprinted 50m back with a man to Richmond goal square, and then signalled the defensive zone to others
5. Brought kick out to ground, set up a run and kept sprinting with the play
6. Zoned between two players & Griffiths forced to take harder shot than a give off. Point only.
7. With a stoppage, he ran down to play in the forward press
8. Grant desperate on ground after stoppage to get the clearance, but ball bounced wrong way
9. Grant, after sprinting back, kills a ball over the boundary between two Tigers after a big momentum switch in their forward line.
10. Intercept marks a kick out from them, runs inside 50, has a shot just misses. Sprints back.
11. We got the ball after a kick in. Grant sprinted 50 metres to burn them for a Coast to Coast, had his defender dead but another gave a free kick away. Would've had a shot if not for the stupid free.
12. Zoning really well. Running from wing to wing.
13. Around stoppages he's clearly not told to get contested, he's the release valve
14. Setting up zone defence at a stoppage. Seems to really understand how it's meant to be set up. He seems to be an extra along the 50 as a part of it

2nd quarter
1. Bonts missed Grant in a contest, was free to run and set up
2. Got a mark on the back 50. Seems to gravitate around there when we are under pressure in the back half.
3. Great tackle on the wing. Got back up for the secondary contest
4. Grant went hard, got a stoppage and team mate got a free. Manic he was.
5. Standing in the hole stopping Riewoldt passing, and he misses the goal. Set up zone too.
6. Again when they have the ball, he runs straight back their 50, in the corridor. This is now an instruction. You can he automatically goes there.
7. Amazing handball only he could get out, and set up an attack forward.
8. Grant sprinted down, and got confused with Dickson as to who was marking, should've been a mark and shot to either.
9. Immediately back up with a big tackle.
10. Grant back to back 50 in the corridor, corralling them.
11. Lays some physical stuff
12. Goes back to same spot. When there's a contest he comes down just off the pack. Richmond have spot and ran hard at the kicker. Missed the shot.
13. Great run, marks in the centre circle and quick hands sets JJ for a big kick. Dahl gives free.
14. Richmond counter attack, Grant gets to the contest, amazing hands to Minno and set up a counter attack for us

3rd Quarter
1. Sprinted from back 50 to forward 50, he and Stringer were both put. Stringer got the kick, and then kicked on the full. Was a long sprint.
2. Shepard's in a chain forward
3. Grant kicks inside 50. Goes out, goal from ball in
4. Moved forward as Ayce has done nothing.
5. But has run to half back for a throw in. Gut running he is.
6. Following and crowding contests in the def 50
7. Grant sprinted 80 metres as we ran with the ball, a skill turnover goes against him swarming into an open goal.He would've run into an open goal. But not stopping, gut ran back. He's really taking the game on with running
8. Jarrad sprints 70-80 from beyond cente to run into the goal square. The kick would have missed the goal. Jarrad kicks the goal, goes to game high 28 point lead. Great work.
9. Team tackle gets stoppage. Then gets a hard ball and gets tackled himself, by two.
10. Gave a free away for chopping arms on the wing

4th quarter
1. Grants other apparent instruction is sitting 5-10 off packs. Not all getting contested footy and no one to give it to.
2. Back to corridor on def 50. He owns this spot today.
3. Tim Watsom says Grants been an influential defender
4. Grant lays shepheard for Bonts to run on with momentum. Goal at end on chain.
5. Grant holds a contest, tackled by 2.
6. Grant gets ball from the ball up, kicks forward.
7. Dahl misses a mark at 50 with a good spoil. Grant had sprinted to get himself free 20m straight in front for a certain goal. Not to be.
8. Stayed forward, good running patterns and taking Morris away from the contest.
9. Massive sprint forward in a wave, bad bounce, otherwise running into have a shot again

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 10:11 AM
If Bevo said to Grant:

- Defend the corridor through the centre, corral them don't them come through you at D50. He did this team role.
- Take your tackle and give them when you can. Try to smoother, lay physical pressure. He did his team role.
- Sit off contests to give us a release valve and set up zones and sit in the hole when you can. He did this today.
- Use your quick hands to speed us up. Tick again.
- Run your arse off. If you see the game open up, sprint forward, burn your opponent, get inside 50 and get shots on goal. Turn 50/50 shots into certain goals to reward the team effort. Defend and hurt them on the scoreboard. Tick.
- Still keep your opponent as ineffectual as you can. Tick.

I thought he played a role and did it well. If not for a bad bounce and skill errors, he could've kicked 4 he ran so hard from HBF deep forwards to get alone and position to certain goal. Some days you get 1.1 and other 4.1. That's amazing running both ways and still got 1.1 off the HBF in a complete team role still. I think the Hawthorn assistant coaches will look into this.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 10:16 AM
BT great analysis but you will get all the non believers doing just that, non believing no matter what you say.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2015, 10:19 AM
I hope Grant holds his spot in the side for the balance of the season, as I have some serious concerns about how you would react if he doesn't, BT. ;)

I haven't watched the replay yet (will do so this morning) however my impression from being at the game was his performance was only OK yesterday, however he did work hard both offensively and defensively, which was pleasing.

The goal he kicked was the result of a great running effort. He was an option through the corridor which (forgive me) Bob seemed to miss as he went down the line, but because of Bob not seeing him, he was able to stream forward and get on the end of what ended up being an easy goal.

His work rate is much improved, but the stats assist telling his story from yesterday. 10 disposals, one contested, 3 clangers and disposal efficiency of 60%. The 'second tackler' stat you have coined is an interesting one - I will look out for it when I watch the replay this morning.

F'scary
12-04-2015, 10:19 AM
The most comprehensive defense of a player's performance I have ever seen. :)

For what its worth, to me he looks a different player to the deep forward role he was played in for 6 or so years - it's like we have another positive addition to the playing list.

SonofScray
12-04-2015, 10:34 AM
I am a fan.

He is doing his bit, without being exceptional. If Grant ends up being just a foot soldier in a very good team, I'd be very pleased that our floor and ceilings are very high.

Happy Days
12-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Grant is a good footballer.

I never understood why having a pre-season (and the first 7 weeks of the season proper) ruined counts as an excuse for every other player but not for him.

I think he has a lot to offer the side and is comfortably in the best 22. His gut running efforts and determination should put that old "laconic" chestnut to bed, at the very least.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Anyone watching the replay, how many marks did Richmond take inside 50 or run through down the centre?

My recollection is not many and Grant played the role blocking it. I think their marks were wide and not many running goals. There's no stats for that, and I think it's inspired by Bevo. Grant is tall enough to spoil a KPF and quick enough to corral the space. Add in gut running like a tsunami to hit the scoreboard is a great move. He put himself in 5 or 6 areas to score goals but it wasn't to be this week. Another week if he replicates the effort, he could kick 4 from HBF.

I think the coaching review should be good. Stats don't say his many times he organised the zone, drew players out, stood in the hole, forced the opposition to go around his blocking and team blocking at CHB or how many 50-100 sprints he did all game. He's not a contested footy machine or KPF. But he doesn't have to be to make the team dangerous. Look at what occurred not just stats.

Happy Days
12-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Anyone watching the replay, how many marks did Richmond take inside 50 or run through down the centre?

My recollection is not many and Grant played the role blocking it. I think they're marks were wide and not many running goals. There's no stats for that, and I think it's inspired by Bevo. Grant is tall enough to spoil a KPF and quick enough to corral the space. Add in gut running like a tsunami to hit the scoreboard is a great move. He put himself in 5 or 6 areas to score goals but it wasn't to be this week. Another week if he replicates the effort, he could kick 4 from HBF.

I think the coaching review should be good. Stats don't say his many times he organised the zone, drew players out, stood in the whole, forced the opposition to go around his blocking and team blocking at CHB or how many 50-100 sprints he did all game. He's not a contested footy machine or KPF. But he doesn't have to be to make the team dangerous. Look at what occurred not just stats.

If we're going to play the style of football it looks like we are then there is going to be room for a true centreman. Given his attributes and workrate (~!) Grant is as good a choice as any.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2015, 12:40 PM
He plays well and he stays in the side. He's doing OK at the moment.

He does give us a point of difference with his improved intensity, height and pace - hopefully he can keep improving and building. He doesn't have to be a star, he just needs to contribute and he is. His versatility is handy and I like we've pshed him up the ground because he's actually very astute in tight packs with his tackling and great clean hands.

10-15 possessions per game with great defensive intent = a game every week.

boydogs
12-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Nice work BT

When I first saw what you had done my thinking was it would just be turning 10 touches into 50 by embellishing every involvement, without doing the same for anyone else

When I read it though it seemed clear that he was Bevo's answer to the coast to coast goals we conceded against West Coast, and a great option for that role. He's quick, to be able to get back into position, and he's tall, to contest the high ball. He's also got good skills to be used as an option coming out of defense, and can sprint forward when we are rebounding ourselves.

We need him more involved in the game though. He's a good user of the ball, you want him to be getting 20+ touches when he is playing up the ground not 10. Does he not know where to run or find space, are his team mates ignoring him, is he not working hard enough?

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Nice work BT

When I first saw what you had done my thinking was it would just be turning 10 touches into 50 by embellishing every involvement, without doing the same for anyone else

When I read it though it seemed clear that he was Bevo's answer to the coast to coast goals we conceded against West Coast, and a great option for that role. He's quick, to be able to get back into position, and he's tall, to contest the high ball. He's also got good skills to be used as an option coming out of defense, and can sprint forward when we are rebounding ourselves.

We need him more involved in the game though. He's a good user of the ball, you want him to be getting 20+ touches when he is playing up the ground not 10. Does he not know where to run or find space, are his team mates ignoring him, is he not working hard enough?

It was just the game. He was missed a bit, a couple of bad bounces and skill errors in getting it to him. That's just footy. This week if the effort is replicated and those things go for him, he gets 16-20 touches and kicks 3-4 goals. Now if he gets that day, opposition teams will have to shut him down and then release Bobby. It's the effort that is the key, and if gut runs like that every week on top of his role, then he will have real hurt factor. I think I counted 3 times he was in/on 50 with no opponent between him and the goals, but just got the 1. If Grant and teammates in Grant get confidence in him, it will be interesting.

And I liked his celebration with Stringer, with the double low 5. Clearly an 'in' joke.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 02:14 PM
He plays well and he stays in the side. He's doing OK at the moment.

He does give us a point of difference with his improved intensity, height and pace - hopefully he can keep improving and building. He doesn't have to be a star, he just needs to contribute and he is. His versatility is handy and I like we've pshed him up the ground because he's actually very astute in tight packs with his tackling and great clean hands.

10-15 possessions per game with great defensive intent = a game every week.
Sometimes supporters expect every player to be a superstar and amass 25 disposals every week. As you say need foot solders to do their job

Remi Moses
12-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Thought he was reasonable yesterday ( you don't get the same perspective on the box) he adds to our mid size forward strength.
Someone can get off the leash, as Dickson did yesterday .

GVGjr
12-04-2015, 02:32 PM
BT great analysis but you will get all the non believers doing just that, non believing no matter what you say.

You might be onto something. Dickson has been labelled a one trick pony and like Grant should now be winning our fans over.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 02:38 PM
You might be onto something. Dickson has been labelled a one trick pony and like Grant should now be winning our fans over.

Agree, Dickson has really started the season brilliantly. I hope he keeps it up for the rest of the season. The big forwards are bringing the ball to ground which makes it ideal for Dickson, and his set shots have always been very good. Should have had 5 yesterday but for the unlucky touch.

chef
12-04-2015, 02:59 PM

Do it for a season and I'll happily be converted, there is a fair reason why there is doubters.

kruder
12-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Round 2:

A rolling look at Grant:

1. Sitting a kick back on HB, zoning too. Gets free spot poor kicked and a pack spoils
2. Just later sees boys in trouble near boundary on def 50. Sprints 50 metres to other side of ground to start play. Gets back kick from Dahl and it goes out of bounds.
3. Great kick on centre wing to hit a team mate on the chest
4. Sprinted 50m back with a man to Richmond goal square, and then signalled the defensive zone to others
5. Brought kick out to ground, set up a run and kept sprinting with the play
6. Zoned between two players & Griffiths forced to take harder shot than a give off. Point only.
7. With a stoppage, he ran down to play in the forward press
8. Grant desperate on ground after stoppage to get the clearance, but ball bounced wrong way
9. Grant, after sprinting back, kills a ball over the boundary between two Tigers after a big momentum switch in their forward line.
10. Intercept marks a kick out from them, runs inside 50, has a shot just misses. Sprints back.
11. We got the ball after a kick in. Grant sprinted 50 metres to burn them for a Coast to Coast, had his defender dead but another gave a free kick away. Would've had a shot if not for the stupid free.
12. Zoning really well. Running from wing to wing.
13. Around stoppages he's clearly not told to get contested, he's the release valve
14. Setting up zone defence at a stoppage. Seems to really understand how it's meant to be set up. He seems to be an extra along the 50 as a part of it

2nd quarter
1. Bonts missed Grant in a contest, was free to run and set up
2. Got a mark on the back 50. Seems to gravitate around there when we are under pressure in the back half.
3. Great tackle on the wing. Got back up for the secondary contest
4. Grant went hard, got a stoppage and team mate got a free. Manic he was.
5. Standing in the hole stopping Riewoldt passing, and he misses the goal. Set up zone too.
6. Again when they have the ball, he runs straight back their 50, in the corridor. This is now an instruction. You can he automatically goes there.
7. Amazing handball only he could get out, and set up an attack forward.
8. Grant sprinted down, and got confused with Dickson as to who was marking, should've been a mark and shot to either.
9. Immediately back up with a big tackle.
10. Grant back to back 50 in the corridor, corralling them.
11. Lays some physical stuff
12. Goes back to same spot. When there's a contest he comes down just off the pack. Richmond have spot and ran hard at the kicker. Missed the shot.
13. Great run, marks in the centre circle and quick hands sets JJ for a big kick. Dahl gives free.
14. Richmond counter attack, Grant gets to the contest, amazing hands to Minno and set up a counter attack for us

3rd Quarter
1. Sprinted from back 50 to forward 50, he and Stringer were both put. Stringer got the kick, and then kicked on the full. Was a long sprint.
2. Shepard's in a chain forward
3. Grant kicks inside 50. Goes out, goal from ball in
4. Moved forward as Ayce has done nothing.
5. But has run to half back for a throw in. Gut running he is.
6. Following and crowding contests in the def 50
7. Grant sprinted 80 metres as we ran with the ball, a skill turnover goes against him swarming into an open goal.He would've run into an open goal. But not stopping, gut ran back. He's really taking the game on with running
8. Jarrad sprints 70-80 from beyond cente to run into the goal square. The kick would have missed the goal. Jarrad kicks the goal, goes to game high 28 point lead. Great work.
9. Team tackle gets stoppage. Then gets a hard ball and gets tackled himself, by two.
10. Gave a free away for chopping arms on the wing

4th quarter
1. Grants other apparent instruction is sitting 5-10 off packs. Not all getting contested footy and no one to give it to.
2. Back to corridor on def 50. He owns this spot today.
3. Tim Watsom says Grants been an influential defender
4. Grant lays shepheard for Bonts to run on with momentum. Goal at end on chain.
5. Grant holds a contest, tackled by 2.
6. Grant gets ball from the ball up, kicks forward.
7. Dahl misses a mark at 50 with a good spoil. Grant had sprinted to get himself free 20m straight in front for a certain goal. Not to be.
8. Stayed forward, good running patterns and taking Morris away from the contest.
9. Massive sprint forward in a wave, bad bounce, otherwise running into have a shot again

I was lucky enough to sit level 2 MCC yesterday on the wing so had an awesome view of it. Grant so many times got in dangerous postions without being rewarded from his teammates. He adds a point of difference for mine,is team oriented and is a best 22 player. One thing id like to see from the match committee is that if he does have a quiet week not to drop him straight away. Show faith and I think he will reward them.

Smads57
12-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Without having seen his stats until this thread, I was happy with Grant's performance.

I would like to see Bevo continue working with Grant in the 22 - we have time to allow him to build his position in the side IMO.

I continue to see this as an on-going development year for the club and for Bevo, a chance to learn about various players. Generally everyone agrees that Grant has good skills. If we can "blend" (Bevo word) his skills with other players determination (read Wally, Honey, Picko) then that can only be a positive.

LostDoggy
12-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Ok, so I was so impressed with your blow-by-blow breakdown, BT, that I watched the replay again (just for you old chum) and I still believe Grant had an average-at-best game, but could see many of the points you raised and will concede I judged him harshly.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Ok, so I was so impressed with your blow-by-blow breakdown, BT, that I watched the replay again (just for you old chum) and I still believe Grant had an average-at-best game, but could see many of the points you raised and will concede I judged him harshly.

:) - Thanks on many counts. As I agreed with my mate 'stachey, not our best. Not our worst. But selected next week.

jeemak
15-04-2015, 02:32 AM
Interesting clip.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-04-14/defensive-brilliance

A lot happens at the book ends, whilst most of the middle ground work is excluded. The major takeaway from this is that our media team thinks the vast majority of defencive work happens as such. Those that play between the half lines don't get much credit at all.

One could almost deduce that Grant played almost no part in the game defencively from this clip :)

bulldogtragic
26-04-2015, 11:31 PM
Stupid 50.

But, 13 touches at 77%, 6 marks (2 inside 50), 2 clearnaces, 5 tackles, 3 1%s and 1.1 goals. A heap of un rewarded running.

He's not starring, but I like this version and the role that Bevo has playing.

azabob
26-04-2015, 11:31 PM
Should have had two straight. Seemed to get more involved as the game progressed.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Stupid 50.

But, 13 touches at 77%, 6 marks (2 inside 50), 2 clearnaces, 5 tackles, 3 1%s and 1.1 goals. A heap of un rewarded running.

Every player can't be a star. I think job done today, should have nailed that set shot though.

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Stupid 50.

He's answered the challenge of being more versatile which is a good thing. The 50 and that missed shot were low points.
If he nailed that shot it would have easily cancelled out the 50.

ReLoad
26-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Who would you rather play, Hunter or Grant?

bornadog
26-04-2015, 11:38 PM

Grant.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2015, 11:39 PM

Grant.

Hunter or Honeychurch: Hunter.

ReLoad
26-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Grant.

I see your point, but there is no upside on grant, the other two are untapped.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Grant.

Exactly because they aren't fighting for the same role, whereas Hunter and Honeychurch are.

lemmon
26-04-2015, 11:42 PM
Exactly because they aren't fighting for the same role, whereas Hunter and Honeychurch are.

Where's the differentiation in Grant's role? All three are high half forwards who take a turn on the wing and through the middle

F'scary
26-04-2015, 11:42 PM

Grant at the moment but he better not rest on his laurels, I would think he is in the last 6 picked. I reckon Hunter would be a chance for Dickson next week and perhaps Hrovat swaps with Honeychurch who started as the sub today.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Where's the differentiation in Grant's role? All three are high half forwards who take a turn on the wing and through the middle

The difference is the other two and chuck in Hrovat, are playing a midfield type of role and have stints in the middle. They are expected to play in and under and get the ball.

lemmon
26-04-2015, 11:49 PM
The difference is the other two and chuck in Hrovat, are playing a midfield type of role and have stints in the middle. They are expected to play in and under and get the ball.

Stuck at work so haven't seen the game today but from everything else I've seen this year Grant is playing the majority of his time around the ball, I'd love to see some stats on it but I'd be shocked if he hasn't been spending at least 75% of his time in the midfield and on the wing. I don't see why he shouldn't be compared alongside those guys when that's his legitimate role now. He may be 6'3 but he's a 6'3 wingman/half forward/midfielder

bulldogtragic
26-04-2015, 11:50 PM

Grant has played several roles this year. Defensive utility, wingman, corridor shut downer of Richmond and more forward today. I think he's undervalued for this reason and his un rewarded running each week could be worth another goal a game, but he still keeps working. Today I noticed he had a fair bit of responsibility for setting up players around some stoppages and inside 50 which to me shows a quiet form of leadership onfield. I think there's upside in Grant. Some weeks it's Dickson, Jake, Crammers or Grant who will get the goals and adulation. Grants game was equal to Crameri's today, and that they're both working their butts off is a good sign. Hawthorn have players like these who do the team role, when others can do it better that's cool. But his new work ethic and effort deserves support until it drops off.

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 11:53 PM
You haven't mentioned that superb speccy Jarrad took!!

bulldogtragic
26-04-2015, 11:54 PM
You haven't mentioned that superb speccy Jarrad took!!

I wanted someone else to mention it! :)

Fair grab!

FrediKanoute
26-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Have to disagree. Grant is a hard match up. He has height and marking ability plus pace and quick hands. I think Hunter has super skills and an eye for goal, lack the overhead Grant brings. Honeychurch is a super pressure player, but not quick enough to hurt opposition and not tall enough to be a target.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 12:11 AM
He's just doing enough, I'd like to see him step it up, or he may lose his spot to some of the talent coming through (Lachie Hunter had what? 37 touches in the vfl today)

Happy Days
27-04-2015, 01:03 AM
Grant took a hanger today and hit the scoreboard, there were at least 5 worse than him.

I'm certain he's persecuted against because he looks weird.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 08:03 AM
BT, your love of Grant is a beautiful thing to see (and maybe a little spooky too). I think he did alright tonight, 50/50 game. Wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped, wouldn't be surprised if he stayed.

SonofScray
27-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Bevo wants flexibility. Grant has shown an ability to be a decent choice forward, wing, loose half back. His pressure and tackling have been good all year, anticipation in close and the attacking handball a real feature of his game.

My view is Spindleshanks is giving us plenty and we will start to see him influenc games as the season goes on and his confidence rises. Guy is really busting his butt to be a contributor at the level we want.

always right
27-04-2015, 09:05 AM
If you're looking for a high posession player, Grant isn't your man. Have loved his intent so far....really working his arse off defensively which I'm sure is one of the non-negotiables from the coach. His position is safe for next week but he needs to finish his good work. His goalkicking has really deteriorated.

bornadog
27-04-2015, 09:44 AM
He is a confidence player and I think he is just starting to realise he is in the best 22. I don't agree with Reload that he is a dud and can't improve. He will continue to influence games as the season goes on.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2015, 02:33 PM
He was OK yesterday, did some good things and some not so good, but he contested well in the air and worked hard with his running both ways (at least, that was my impression at the game).

ratsmac
27-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Grant hasn't done anything to lose his spot from what I can see, it's whether someone like Hunter is going to force their way into the team at someone's expense.

macca
28-04-2015, 02:11 AM
Grant ran hard , tackled and they stuck and hit in the packs, took a good mark in front of goal. He looks intense but a tortured soul wanting to Achieve his potential. He was relieved when he kicked that goal in the last quarter. I hope he can convert those 1 % and just keep up th intensity. He does not need to be brilliant just do his job and his natural football instincts will flow, oh and I hope he is realising this and starts enjoying his footy

Remi Moses
28-04-2015, 03:23 AM
I like the fact he's work rate is up ( at least it looks like it)he could get off the leash if Stringer and Boyd get held.
With Grant's ,its work rate as he has the talent to succeed .

soupman
28-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Grant took a hanger today and hit the scoreboard, there were at least 5 worse than him.

I'm certain he's persecuted against because he looks weird.

Apparently the Hawks players went up to him last week and told him "what a strange looking man you are".

bulldogtragic
31-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Got to say I'm happy for Jarrad. Sure his set shots are iffy, but his run and quick hands are vital in a gameplan based on quick ball movement. He looks in the zone in games now, and his spoiling and tackling show an intensity above what Hunter was not showing. He might not be the messiah we were hoping for on draft day, but the package he offers the team and gameplan has seen us win with him in the team, and lose when he was dominating VFL. I hope he continues the upward curve.

GVGjr
31-05-2015, 11:29 AM
It's his set shots that disappoint. His work ethic is now very good and he can be used in a few positions. Good to see him in form.

azabob
31-05-2015, 11:33 AM
BT, he still sits on that cusp of in or or out. He really needs to nail those set shots to keep his spot. I do get nervous when he is in the defensive half of the ground. As you say he is tackling and harassing well, i would just love it if he nailed his set shots.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2015, 11:37 AM
It's his set shots that disappoint. His work ethic is now very good and he can be used in a few positions. Good to see him in form.

That's why I'd love him to keep improving and take Bobs spot whenever Bob retires. He's a similar size, build and speed with x-factor and a good field kick. If the only real issue is goal kicking, then move him up the ground or HBF. He's getting into dangerous spots and generating shots on goal, so hes working hard as you say.

SonofScray
31-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Got to say I'm happy for Jarrad. Sure his set shots are iffy, but his run and quick hands are vital in a gameplan based on quick ball movement. He looks in the zone in games now, and his spoiling and tackling show an intensity above what Hunter was not showing. He might not be the messiah we were hoping for on draft day, but the package he offers the team and gameplan has seen us win with him in the team, and lose when he was dominating VFL. I hope he continues the upward curve.
Popped up with a handful of important touches when the game stagnated and then took some good marks inside 50 to really cash in on his effort, but missed. If Grant is the last man picked we aren't doing too bad. If he nails those goals I think I would have rated his game as very good, rather than adequate.

chef
31-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Will he hold his spot with when Cram and Stringer are back?

bulldogtragic
31-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Will he hold his spot with when Cram and Stringer are back?

If his form is good. The correlations of wins to losses, is when Grant plays (less Hawks) we win. So he just needs to play well.

Bulldog4life
31-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Trouble is he never looks like slotting those set shots but on the other hand he is great with the snaps. I would like to see him play on every time he gets the ball in goal kicking range. Wouldn't do any worse and hopefully snag a few more.

bornadog
31-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Stringer and Crameri are also iffy with set shots as is Dahl.

whythelongface
31-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Excellent game from J Grant yesterday, bar those set shots. One area that he has really improved in is his tackling. He seems quite ferocious and the opposition rarely seem to break his tackles.

We look a better team with him in the line up.

Ozza
01-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Played a pretty good game. Good hands several times, good chase down tackle and generally took the right option when he had the ball. Should stay in the side next week regardless of Crameri and String coming back.

The set shots though....its a miracle he evens makes contact with his boot when he runs in like a left footer.

We need Dickson (or Minson!) to teach a few of these blokes how to approach a set shot (Grant, Stringer, Crameri).

BornInDroopSt'54
01-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Played a pretty good game. Good hands several times, good chase down tackle and generally took the right option when he had the ball. Should stay in the side next week regardless of Crameri and String coming back.

The set shots though....its a miracle he evens makes contact with his boot when he runs in like a left footer.

We need Dickson (or Minson!) to teach a few of these blokes how to approach a set shot (Grant, Stringer, Crameri).

It's gotta be mental and overcomable. Obviously has superior skills and his marking is underrated. The more he feels he not only belongs but also is potent, the less he'll miss those set ones.
For the love of the club, those set shots are like a golf shot: a set piece of human mechanics; analysable and teachable; purposeful run up, torso balanced above the hips (not leaning left or right), ball held on top of kneecap in line with foot ffs, guiding ball drop down with right hand low as and naturally striking the ball with head over it and torso forward! Practise, practise, practise as if it's match day, until it feels like you own it.

always right
01-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Starting to think that for all the criticism about Grant's lack of intensity over the years it may actually be Grant's kicking for goal that decides whether he will have an ongoing career in the AFL.

I'm staggered that his kicking for goal has actually got worse when others such as Talia and Smith have managed to overcome their dodgy kicking technique to the point they are consistently adequate at disposal by foot.

Before I Die
01-06-2015, 02:05 PM
It's gotta be mental and overcomable. Obviously has superior skills and his marking is underrated. The more he feels he not only belongs but also is potent, the less he'll miss those set ones.
For the love of the club, those set shots are like a golf shot: a set piece of human mechanics; analysable and teachable; purposeful run up, torso balanced above the hips (not leaning left or right), ball held on top of kneecap in line with foot ffs, guiding ball drop down with right hand low as and naturally striking the ball with head over it and torso forward! Practise, practise, practise as if it's match day, until it feels like you own it.

Watching his set shots on Saturday it looked like he is trying so hard to get it right that he has started to over-exaggerate his actions and lost all natural movement. As he jogs in he moves his centre of gravity significantly from side to side with each step. When it comes time to kick the ball he has to coordinate the drop of the ball with the sideways movement of his centre of mass and the forward swinging arc of his leg. Good luck with that!

boydogs
01-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Watching his set shots on Saturday it looked like he is trying so hard to get it right that he has started to over-exaggerate his actions and lost all natural movement. As he jogs in he moves his centre of gravity significantly from side to side with each step. When it comes time to kick the ball he has to coordinate the drop of the ball with the sideways movement of his centre of mass and the forward swinging arc of his leg. Good luck with that!

Yeah agree, complete lack of confidence meaning he slows everything down to try and make sure he gets everything right, and ends up running in too slow

BornInDroopSt'54
01-06-2015, 03:54 PM

He and others have to drill the technique during practice sessions. Set shot on match day just follow their routine:relax their bodies, forget their thoughts, take generous deep breaths (air's free) and strike it through with their natural rhythm like it's easy peasy. Do not harbour any negative thoughts, they have no place. If you have one, let it slide down the S bend, ignore it and rely on the routine.
Lindsay Thomas is the classic example of someone with the yips despite talent, who turned himself into a great goal kicker.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-06-2015, 04:57 PM
He and others have to drill the technique during practice sessions. Set shot on match day just follow their routine:relax their bodies, forget their thoughts, take generous deep breaths (air's free) and strike it through with their natural rhythm like it's easy peasy. Do not harbour any negative thoughts, they have no place. If you have one, let it slide down the S bend, ignore it and rely on the routine.
Lindsay Thomas is the classic example of someone with the yips despite talent, who turned himself into a great goal kicker.
I agree with your analysis but Grant has had a faulty kicking action for the past 6 years with little indication of improving. Dickson stands out as our most reliable goal kicker and maybe he needs to spend some time with Grant in an attempt to change his kicking technique. Given the current situation with Stringer and Crameri to return it is hard to see Grant becoming a regular forward in the team.

jeemak
01-06-2015, 05:04 PM
It would be great if Grant could set this as his base and deliver this type of effort week in, week out.

For a player of his skill and experience this should be his minimum. The fact that we're praising him for hitting what should be his minimum standard says a lot about his career to date and just how low our expectations of him have become.

Anyway, specifically to the weekend's game I can't take anything away from him as he contributed. I just need to see him back up the performance with hopefully another step forward, whilst I will be extremely disappointed if he takes a step back.

Jeanette54
01-06-2015, 05:26 PM
We look a better team with him in the line up.

I agree with you there WTLF, if his effort and endeavour remains what it was against GWS.

Cyberdoggie
01-06-2015, 05:45 PM

Interesting observation.

Will have to keep an eye on that next time I see him kick.
I'd wager is rubbish style of holding the ball when kicking also has a large part to do with it.

merantau
01-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Grant has ability; he needs to find consistency. When he strings a few good games together his confidence will grow. Hopefully he'll get a couple of easy shots on goal and slot them. Then he'll stop suffering from 'paralysis by analysis' when kicking for goal. We've expended a lot of time and effort on Grant. No one wants to see that dissipate like a bucket of water thrown on to the boiling sands of the Gibson Desert or the asphalt car park of the Brooklyn Trash and Treasure Market.

LostDoggy
01-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Got to say I'm happy for you too, BT.

He played a fine game. I didn't even care about the set shots. What mattered to me was that the penny seems to have dropped.

I have never played the game at the highest level. I can only imagine how different it must be to line up in front of tens of thousands of people, at a critical stage of the match (these days, every second of the game is a critical stage of the match) as opposed to kicking for goal at the Whitten Oval on Thursday morning in front of a handful of diehards and the coaching staff.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Earned his wage tonight. 18 touches, 5 clearances, 6 hit outs, 5 rebounds from def 50, 5 entries inside 50 and misc others.

The good numbers of rebounds and inside 50's tells me he ran his guts out up and back the ground all night and did his job again tonight.

jeemak
06-06-2015, 11:24 PM
He was one of our better performers tonight. Needs to put this and last week's form together with some more good form in the second half of the season.

bornadog
17-06-2015, 12:55 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-06-17/jarrad-grant-in-focus

bulldogtragic
20-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Watching him at ground level. He's guarding space brilliantly, setting up structures etc he's well drilled and doing it well. Running hard, allowing crossing out and getting involved too. Great team stuff JG.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2015, 09:18 PM
I wish they'd reward his running. We'd be further ahead...

LostDoggy
20-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Watching him at ground level. He's guarding space brilliantly, setting up structures etc he's well drilled and doing it well. Running hard, allowing crossing out and getting involved too. Great team stuff JG.

I'm putting my seatbelt back on the Granty bandwagon BT!!!!!!!!! ;)

GVGjr
20-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Hasn't his fitness improved? Fit and confident equals good form. He's a midfielder now.

bornadog
20-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Great game from Granty

FrediKanoute
20-06-2015, 11:38 PM
He has transformed into a defensive winger. One who helps rebound the ball back into the forward line. Real transition player.

jeemak
20-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Awesome to see him extend some good form.

He needs to keep it up if I'm to be convinced he's the real deal.

westbulldog
20-06-2015, 11:40 PM
He was good today.

LostDoggy
20-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Super game from JG, I'm starting to really like his handball style.

Twodogs
20-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Really impressive game tonight. He seemed to do all the right things at the right time. Attacked the ball and contest when it needed to be done and ran hard to spread from the contest to provide an option when possession spilled our way.

But the best part of the game was his Men of Mayhem stuff-knocking the ball out of opponents hands, little smothers in heavy mauls, punching when he is out positioned in a marking contest and most of al decision making. He was faced with a few sticky situations and thought his way through them well. He didn't get them all right but nobody does. Except Robert Murphy.

Tonight I started to see what BT means when he says that he can see Grant being Murph's replacement in the team. Some of the things he did were a little Murphyesque. Running at a fair clip, summing up the best option and delivering the ball is a difficult skill. JG did it a few times tonight and while he got a couple wrong he got got most of them right.

I can understand if you think I'm a blithering idiot for thinking that Grant could possibly replace Murph. To be honest I thought that BT was a blithering idiot for thinking it until an hour ago, but now I'm not so sure. I think I've seen the light!

jeemak
21-06-2015, 12:00 AM
I now think you're both blithering idiots.

As good as Grant can be - and I think he can be really good at what he does - Murph is a once in a generation half back who can kick on both sides and dominate a football ground.

Grant is just showing the fruits of his potential, finally. It's actually offensive to me that anyone (least of all woofers I respect) could compare them in any way.

whythelongface
21-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Excellent game from Grant tonight. Good decision making, quick hands and his kicking into the forward 50 was also noteworthy.

He is really coming of age and will is an important link player. I like the fact that he covers the ground really well provides options both in the defensive and forward half.

If he can become more consistent and play this type of football week in/ week out he will be a required year and receive a contract extension.

F'scary
21-06-2015, 12:46 AM
I liked his game tonight too. He is an interesting type - very tall midfielder.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-06-2015, 12:47 AM
We seem to be a better side with Grant in it (and playing well).

After he was dropped, we had a form dip. After he has been brought back in, we've performed better again. He gives us some good flexibility between midfield and forward. As mentioned above, he has transformed himself into a fit and confident player who can push and stay further up the ground. Very good below his knees and has composure in tight situations - he's a really handy transition/link up player.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2015, 01:04 AM

As good as Grant can be - and I think he can be really good at what he does - Murph is a once in a generation half back who can kick on both sides and dominate a football ground.

Grant is just showing the fruits of his potential, finally. It's actually offensive to me that anyone (least of all woofers I respect) could compare them in any way.

To be fair to me, I said Grant coming on (as I expected) was a replacement for Murphy when he retires. Similar height, build, speed, x-factor etc aren't a ludicrous comparison, and importantly someone needs to replace Murphy if we want to field 22 players a week. But whatever, enjoying a big win is better than getting bogged down in this.

G-Mo77
21-06-2015, 01:05 AM
I've stayed out of this thread. Seemed like a microsopical analysis on pieces of play. Gotta say after tonight if that is what Grant is going to bring to the team each week he's welcome to stay as long as he wants. He's brought it in patches but that would've been his most complete game as a Bulldog.

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 01:23 AM

OK maybe replace Murph is the wrong word because we will never truly replace him. Just as we have never replaced Lindsee Gilbee but we have found players who can do his role albeit at not as high level that Lindsee did it at.

comrade
21-06-2015, 01:49 AM
Just played the modern wing role really well tonight. Was constantly spreading wide to provide an outlet and used it well by hand and foot to release up the line.

Almost jagged a nice mark up forward which gives him an edge on other mids he'll match up on. Not many have his aerial ability.

Grant the #5 draft pick key forward was actually a midfielder all along? Will we see him in the square at any stage? Woweee!

Torpedo
21-06-2015, 01:55 AM
If only Grant would have the confidence to have a shot at goal. Twice tonight (first and last quarters) he really needed to take responsibility and kick the goal. The last quarter pass to Wallis made a fairly easy shot running at goal, into a contest that Wallis was good enough to finish. Its almost as if he can' even look at the goal sticks. He has improved in all other facets of the game bar the mental. It has always been his elephant in the room. There are threads going back 6years or more making the same point. I'm enjoying his progress this year but see his best position as a running halfback cum midfielder. But todays mids are expected to not only assist in goals but score goals regularly too. Does his ability, marking, vision, skill etc and what he brings to the team really compensate for lack of goalscoring though? Maybe I just want so badly for him to be the complete package that sadly he will never be.

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 03:19 AM
If only Grant would have the confidence to have a shot at goal. Twice tonight (first and last quarters) he really needed to take responsibility and kick the goal. The last quarter pass to Wallis made a fairly easy shot running at goal, into a contest that Wallis was good enough to finish. Its almost as if he can' even look at the goal sticks. He has improved in all other facets of the game bar the mental. It has always been his elephant in the room. There are threads going back 6years or more making the same point. I'm enjoying his progress this year but see his best position as a running halfback cum midfielder. But todays mids are expected to not only assist in goals but score goals regularly too. Does his ability, marking, vision, skill etc and what he brings to the team really compensate for lack of goalscoring though? Maybe I just want so badly for him to be the complete package that sadly he will never be.

As his confidence grows in other aspects of his game he may become more confident taking shots. It's not like it's a foreign concept to him.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2015, 09:59 AM
As his confidence grows in other aspects of his game he may become more confident taking shots. It's not like it's a foreign concept to him.

Exactly. He's blooming and I wouldn't say his confidence is sky high. But his form is an entree at the moment. It would be near 10 times this year his gut running ahead of play had him alone 25m out by himself, but players didn't see/use/get it to him, ala Stringer last night (no criticism of Jake). And if players went to him more, his confidence will rise again. Once he believes, truly believes what Bob Murphy thinks, he will come of age.

(P.s. Bob said two years that he spends a bit of time with Jarrad, and likes to take him in intraclub practice. He said, as he tells Jarrad, "that his (JG) best is the best Bob has ever played on". But he needs to believe the truth of the comments and then bring it. I think young Neo is starting to believe, so the shots on goal can come in time).

Go_Dogs
21-06-2015, 10:20 AM
I think he's now at a point where he offers enough to warrant being in the side on a consistent basis, however I still think there is a lot of improvement in him to go from a bloke in our 12-22 range to being a genuinely good player.

His running and work rate has improved a lot, but there was a Brisbane goal in the second which I felt he contributed to by not working back hard defensively from our half forward line. There were a few Brisbane players he was running along side of, he didn't make the effort to keep up, the ball moved to that group of players at the wing and off they went whilst Grant didn't do a whole lot. I'd have to watch the replay to clearly identify the passage, but that was my thought at Etihad.

I don't like to come here and be negative, but I think this conversation is lacking a bit of balance at the moment. His good currently out weights his bad, no doubt - he stays in. He's a good type for our side and is generally having a season where he's better than breaking even each week. I guess I'm just not quite ready to back him in as much as others are.

bornadog
21-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Jarrad has talent to burn and for me has proven his critics wrong that he is not up to AFL standard. All he needs is his confidence to grow and to be consistent at what he does.

He is best 22 and when he plays well, we win.

Scorlibo
21-06-2015, 11:25 AM
I think he's now at a point where he offers enough to warrant being in the side on a consistent basis, however I still think there is a lot of improvement in him to go from a bloke in our 12-22 range to being a genuinely good player.

His running and work rate has improved a lot, but there was a Brisbane goal in the second which I felt he contributed to by not working back hard defensively from our half forward line. There were a few Brisbane players he was running along side of, he didn't make the effort to keep up, the ball moved to that group of players at the wing and off they went whilst Grant didn't do a whole lot. I'd have to watch the replay to clearly identify the passage, but that was my thought at Etihad.

I don't like to come here and be negative, but I think this conversation is lacking a bit of balance at the moment. His good currently out weights his bad, no doubt - he stays in. He's a good type for our side and is generally having a season where he's better than breaking even each week. I guess I'm just not quite ready to back him in as much as others are.

I think the positivity stems from this. He's the sort of player who, if he can put together even just decent but consistent football, can improve the side dramatically due to his rare combination of athleticism and ball skills.

I thought he was best on at half time and although he tapered away thereafter, still in our top handful on the day.

Ozza
21-06-2015, 02:02 PM
I hope he can replicate last nights game next week.
He was excellent. The challenge is to get that out of himself again and again.

SonofScray
21-06-2015, 02:38 PM
I see the comparisons between Grant and Murphy in the context of the role both have been able to play for us. Similar type of build and capacity to move through space, Murphy is clearly a once in a generation type of character who was terrific up forward and down back but has really been a dominant force across the HBF. Grant hasn't performed at his level yet and may never, but he has capacity to play the role.

Grant is showing a capacity to run both ways, he has been taking good defensive marks and providing a lot of options out wide and combining it with a very deft attacking handball back inside. I think he is starting to settle into the role and understand his capacity to influence the game by playing to his role in a very disciplined fashion. He is flying for marks again which suggests to me the confidence is right up, it cost us a cheap goal when the ball got out the back but I think a player of his type needs to have some permission to try and make stuff happen.

Going OK. Could still get better. Not a bad result for anyone who had him dead and buried, hopefully he keeps it up and we can all just enjoy the bloke contributing to a good side at a high level. Even if what he is producing has him in the bottom end of the 22, thats potentially a good sign in that the quality in front of him is pushing into very good - star rating.

always right
21-06-2015, 08:29 PM
He was terrific last night....involved and influential.....and made far fewer mistakes than Bonts.

FrediKanoute
22-06-2015, 08:15 AM
He does a lot you don't notice.... deft hand passes, blocks, shepherds, gut running. I like him in the team.

bulldogtragic
22-06-2015, 10:56 AM
He does a lot you don't notice.... deft hand passes, blocks, shepherds, gut running. I like him in the team.

Absolutely. He was also setting up structures around the ball and in defence, at times even instructing Bob where to be. I also noticed whenever we had a set shot he would always go to his zone for the kick out. Some players would meander around, or just stop for a breather. But Jarrad would always get to the Hawkins wing side, 40 metres out and be ready to defend a quick play from a behind or if a goal walk to the wing proper. To me it showed a mental application that even when he couldn't physically impact the moment of play, he was always prepared to lead by example in the team structure just in case he was needed to impact the next moment of play. Discipline, knowledge and application.

Noticeable was also how quick he makes our transition when running with his handballing, just magic to watch on the replay again. I said on the night the boys should be rewarding his running even more and I hope they do as he gets into dangerous spots and usually by himself as many opponents don't seem to check him too tightly.

I'm just happy for the kid. Einstein said something like, "if you judge an apple by its ability to be an orange it will grow up thinking it's stupid". That's what he's been like with the expectation of a big forward, and things like dropping him and forcing him into the gym. I think it's easy and reasonable to fixate on what Jarrad wasn't, couldn't or wouldn't do. As I said off season, we needed to consider what he has and where to play him - he's taller than wingers and HBFs, quicker than taller opponents, quick, good hands, X factor. And his biggest issue was kicking set shot goals. It seemed obvious to some to play him up the ground, play to his strenthes and the judge him against form. We usually win with him this year, and usually loss when we don't. I think any baggage of him based on a failed stint forward should be checked at the door. Back to Einstein. Jarrads a lanky, fury Apple so just judge him on being an apple and invest in his confidence as his ceiling has plenty of room left.

1eyedog
22-06-2015, 11:09 AM
I've been a long time fan and very nearly gave him a vote for his performance on Saturday night, which is saying a lot considering he failed to hit the scoreboard.

Mantis
22-06-2015, 11:09 AM
His last 3 games have been pretty good.

In the role he is playing he needs to be getting his hands on the ball to be having an effect, and whilst he is normally very good at making his touches count you need to have more than 10-14 disposals per game.. Getting upwards of 18 per game is where he needs to be.

I like him in the team, he adds some different... He just needs to be a consistent performer, like he has since his return.

Happy Days
22-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Was one of the leaders (might have even been the leader) for metres gained on Saturday night.

He absolutely makes his touches count and is quite damaging with the ball. I feel his skills go quite underrated.

Cyberdoggie
22-06-2015, 07:39 PM
His last 3 games have been pretty good.

In the role he is playing he needs to be getting his hands on the ball to be having an effect, and whilst he is normally very good at making his touches count you need to have more than 10-14 disposals per game.. Getting upwards of 18 per game is where he needs to be.

I like him in the team, he adds some different... He just needs to be a consistent performer, like he has since his return.

I watched him a bit the other night as his role has certainly changed.
He seems to be the designated swingman, for want of a better word.

Grant is the guy that hides on the opposite side of the ground from the play and when the ball comes quickly over the top to Stringer, Boyd or whoever, it's his job to be then moving up and in front of them from the other side and into space.
It's almost like he's coming off the bench and sneaking into space in the forward line before the flood gets there or he gets manned up.

A good example was when stringer ended up snapping that goal left of screen. Grant was there in space waiting for the ball over the top, Jake hadn't seen him but he was in position. Grant had run the length of the ground with ball on the opposite side, tracking it all the way until sprinting into space in the goal square when the quick play over the top was on.

Interesting to see if he plays that way next week, and if the saints pick it up.

craigsahibee
23-06-2015, 02:36 PM
I watched him a bit the other night as his role has certainly changed.
He seems to be the designated swingman, for want of a better word.

Grant is the guy that hides on the opposite side of the ground from the play and when the ball comes quickly over the top to Stringer, Boyd or whoever, it's his job to be then moving up and in front of them from the other side and into space.
It's almost like he's coming off the bench and sneaking into space in the forward line before the flood gets there or he gets manned up.

A good example was when stringer ended up snapping that goal left of screen. Grant was there in space waiting for the ball over the top, Jake hadn't seen him but he was in position. Grant had run the length of the ground with ball on the opposite side, tracking it all the way until sprinting into space in the goal square when the quick play over the top was on.

Interesting to see if he plays that way next week, and if the saints pick it up.

They will now if they troll this well respected avenue of football wisdom.

jeemak
25-06-2015, 01:50 AM
To be fair to me, I said Grant coming on (as I expected) was a replacement for Murphy when he retires. Similar height, build, speed, x-factor etc aren't a ludicrous comparison, and importantly someone needs to replace Murphy if we want to field 22 players a week. But whatever, enjoying a big win is better than getting bogged down in this.

Sorry Chuckles, I posted that with a fair skin full after a day in the Yarra Valley for the Precious One's birthday, so probably came across as a little over the top, having only watched the game on the box.

I don't think you're both idiots.........even most of the time. I'm not even offended by you saying for all intents and purposes non-offensive things during the day to day course of WOOF-life!

If you check my posting history (there's not many to go through) I think you'll find I've been patient with Grant, and according to many too lenient and generous over the years. I suppose I just get a little bit worried when his name gets mentioned as a replacement for a guy who has shown from a young age that he can play pretty much anywhere on the field very well (earning All Australian selection in the process), but as a veteran can hold down a lock and creative role across half back to the extent of being considered for All Australian selection half way through a season at the age of 32.

Whilst they're both skinny players, only one of them is strong and he's the one that sits a good five centimetres shorter than the other. From what I've seen this year I can't compare the two in any way.

Having said all of that, Grant is playing the kind of consistent football I've been hoping he'd play for a number of years. Fundamentally I think he's a forward pocket that can play up and down (as we saw when he played excellent footy in 2013) but the new coach thinks he can play between the lines for the team as it stands (and is ensuring all traditional forwards - bar one or two are doing so this year - Crameri and Dickson are good examples of that). If he keeps playing the way he did on Saturday, then who am I to argue with the way he's being used?

bulldogtragic
25-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Sorry Chuckles, I posted that with a fair skin full after a day in the Yarra Valley for the Precious One's birthday, so probably came across as a little over the top, having only watched the game on the box.

I don't think you're both idiots.........even most of the time. I'm not even offended by you saying for all intents and purposes non-offensive things during the day to day course of WOOF-life!

If you check my posting history (there's not many to go through) I think you'll find I've been patient with Grant, and according to many too lenient and generous over the years. I suppose I just get a little bit worried when his name gets mentioned as a replacement for a guy who has shown from a young age that he can play pretty much anywhere on the field very well (earning All Australian selection in the process), but as a veteran can hold down a lock and creative role across half back to the extent of being considered for All Australian selection half way through a season at the age of 32.

Whilst they're both skinny players, only one of them is strong and he's the one that sits a good five centimetres shorter than the other. From what I've seen this year I can't compare the two in any way.

Having said all of that, Grant is playing the kind of consistent football I've been hoping he'd play for a number of years. Fundamentally I think he's a forward pocket that can play up and down (as we saw when he played excellent footy in 2013) but the new coach thinks he can play between the lines for the team as it stands (and is ensuring all traditional forwards - bar one or two are doing so this year - Crameri and Dickson are good examples of that). If he keeps playing the way he did on Saturday, then who am I to argue with the way he's being used?

It's all good my friend, I think everyone understands he's accumulated baggage over the years to various degrees. My guess was some happy juice was involved, funnily enough it read exactly to me how I think I sound after a few. Although from my experience, I would've added 'but you know I love you like a brother, man' :)

always right
25-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Group hug?

bornadog
25-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Group hug?

http://www.lifeinthebluffs.org/hp_wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/group-hug.jpg

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Was one of the leaders (might have even been the leader) for metres gained on Saturday night.

He absolutely makes his touches count and is quite damaging with the ball. I feel his skills go quite underrated.

His career until now has been largely defined by having such a poor goal kicking technique. The move to the wing has brought a new lease of life to his game. May well it continue.

F'scary
25-06-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm am now right on-board the Grant bandwagon after his game against the Lions, especially since I had been harbouring the impression that he was stiff being dropped earlier in the season.

Hope he doesn't let me down tomorrow.

Bulldog4life
25-06-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm am now right on-board the Grant bandwagon after his game against the Lions, especially since I had been harbouring the impression that he was stiff being dropped earlier in the season.

Hope he doesn't let me down tomorrow.

Or on Saturday.:)

F'scary
25-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Or on Saturday.:)

Get the impression that someone can't wait for the game? ;)

bulldogtragic
27-06-2015, 11:00 PM
The obligatory report as chairman of the Jarrad Grant bandwagon.

19 touches at 84%, key goal (we won by 1 goal), 5 inside 50's at key times, rebounds, marks, gut running, defence etc.

Consistency seems to be coming.

G-Mo77
27-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Thought some of his handpasses were rubbish BT. I didn't count them but he seemed to set his teammates up quite a few times.

hujsh
27-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Thought some of his handpasses were rubbish BT. I didn't count them but he seemed to set his teammates up quite a few times.
2-3 at most I think. They were awful though

bulldogtragic
27-06-2015, 11:08 PM

No denying a few were average, but I think it was 15.50 to go in the second around half back, was one of the best handballs this season. But again another win with him in the team, and with winning by 1 goal, his 1 goal and set up is a big involvement. Just my obligatory report this time.

boydogs
27-06-2015, 11:10 PM

He seemed to be right in at the contest like a genuine mid at times and wasn't as comfortable with the real hot potato movement

whythelongface
27-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Thought he was good at times tonight particularly in the first half where he racked up 14 possessions. Was a lot quieter in the 2nd half and would like to see him get more involved in the game. I like what I see and think he makes a good contribution. He has had 3 consistent games in a row so that is a good sign.

G-Mo77
27-06-2015, 11:17 PM
No denying a few were average, but I think it was 15.50 to go in the second around half back, was one of the best handballs this season. But again another win with him in the team, and with winning by 1 goal, his 1 goal and set up is a big involvement. Just my obligatory report this time.

I felt more frustrated with him tonight than not. Overall it was a pretty frustrating game though.

Scorlibo
27-06-2015, 11:47 PM
It was disappointing not to see Grant go on with it in the second half, he really went missing and especially in the last quarter. A couple of times he used his pace to good effect only to stop short of getting it forward with purpose - instead handballing sideways to teammates in trouble, as G-Mo said. It's like he's so afraid of being caught with the ball that he'd rather set a teammate up to be crunched, definitely something he has to work on. Having said that, again was in our best 10 players on the ground.

If he can remain as consistent as he has been in the last 3-4 weeks, we won't have to discuss his performance week-in week-out for the remainder of 2015.

always right
27-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Liked his game in general....sure a couple of handballs were a bit iffy but there were times he he had nothing on and tried to create something out of nothing. Another solid game from him.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Liked his game in general....sure a couple of handballs were a bit iffy but there were times he he had nothing on and tried to create something out of nothing. Another solid game from him.

Yep, one was an intercept he got and had absolutely nothing to kick to, so as not to turn it over he gave Kobes a hospital pass (irony?). But the spill from Kobes ended in a goal to McLean. I guess it's a half full or half empty thing, but his intercept led to a goal. Albeit with a handball that pummelled Kobes.

Raw Toast
28-06-2015, 12:10 AM
One of our best in the first half, that handball in the Saints goals-quare was a ripper, and I thought his movement was pretty good, but at times he handpassed it too quickly, and at other times not quick enough, so he struggled a little with getting the balance right. Hopefully a bit more composure and awareness of some midfield situations will come, and it was a very frustrating game in general with the Saints clogging us more effectively than most sides have been able to.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2015, 12:13 AM
The handball is at 16.03 to go in the second quarter. JG gets bumped from the previous contest and is at exact CHB, there are 4 saints players, one exactly in front, behind, left and right in close proximity. Matts Boyd is on the 50 with an opponent as well. (Freeze frame it to appreciate the moment) JG runs and instantly and 'in step' threads a left handed bullet through traffic, hits Boyd on the move and starts a rebounding wave. Not sure that many on the list could do that as effectively.

It's my handball of the year.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2015, 12:24 AM
One of our best in the first half, that handball in the Saints goals-quare was a ripper, and I thought his movement was pretty good, but at times he handpassed it too quickly, and at other times not quick enough, so he struggled a little with getting the balance right. Hopefully a bit more composure and awareness of some midfield situations will come, and it was a very frustrating game in general with the Saints clogging us more effectively than most sides have been able to.

Great way of putting it. We delisted Grant the forward last year and recruited Grant the mature age midfield/winger recruit this season. He's 10 games into a new role and in areas he's not been on a footy field before.

Be it Grant, Kobes or Dicko, it's great to see consistently good team footy out of them at a higher level this year. Reason to smile considering all three have room to improve.

bornadog
28-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Another pretty good game and going along nicely in his new role.

Twodogs
28-06-2015, 03:38 AM
The obligatory report as chairman of the Jarrad Grant bandwagon.

19 touches at 84%, key goal (we won by 1 goal), 5 inside 50's at key times, rebounds, marks, gut running, defence etc.

Consistency seems to be coming.

As the Devils advocate I should point out this is the final year of his contract and we've seen this before. I'll concede not this early and not with the same intensity.

Remi Moses
28-06-2015, 03:52 AM
That's what I like, not only the intensity but the fact that the coach has given him a role.
He's responding

Hotdog60
28-06-2015, 09:27 AM
It's funny that Grant can sometimes look quick and other times look slow.
The difference between him and Dickson are miles apart as far as intent goes.
Grant has had a very good season, I'm just going to keep my powder dry at this point in time.

Ozza
29-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Didn't mind Grant's game. Good first half - and although he didn't get much of the ball in the second half, I did note at the time, that in the last quarter he got back goal side of some stoppages and took some space in dangerous areas, and tried to be a bit of a sweeper for us.

Happy Days
29-06-2015, 12:22 PM
As the Devils advocate I should point out this is the final year of his contract and we've seen this before. I'll concede not this early and not with the same intensity.

I don't buy the "last year of his contract" narrative. His 2014 was totally ruined by injury; had zero pre-season and didn't see the field until after the halfway mark of the season. I've never understood why this excuse doesn't count for Grant but counts for everyone else.

I think this is just what we get when he gets some continuity in his football.

azabob
29-06-2015, 01:28 PM
What I would like to see more of is Grant to use his pace and be more decisive and back himself when he has the footy. Hopefully he can develop that part of his game in the 2nd half of the season. To have players such as him, JJ, Wood and Murphy who are confident and back themselves in will make us more in-predictable.

jeemak
29-06-2015, 02:49 PM
I don't buy the "last year of his contract" narrative. His 2014 was totally ruined by injury; had zero pre-season and didn't see the field until after the halfway mark of the season. I've never understood why this excuse doesn't count for Grant but counts for everyone else.

I think this is just what we get when he gets some continuity in his football.

I agree that last year was a waste for him, not through any fault of his own and continuity is king for most players. What's been most pleasing this year is his consistency in effort and intensity, which has been a knock on him in previous years and for better or worse, seemingly something that has spiked when he's been in a contract year.

Mantis
29-06-2015, 02:49 PM
What I would like to see more of is Grant to use his pace and be more decisive and back himself when he has the footy. Hopefully he can develop that part of his game in the 2nd half of the season. To have players such as him, JJ, Wood and Murphy who are confident and back themselves in will make us more in-predictable.

Yep.. Too often on Saturday he dished off quickly without assessing his options. In many instances he had space around him to use, but instead gave the ball to someone who was 'hot'.

I liked his game, but still a fair bit to work on.

Cyberdoggie
29-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Yep.. Too often on Saturday he dished off quickly without assessing his options. In many instances he had space around him to use, but instead gave the ball to someone who was 'hot'.

True, I'm sure the coaches will point that out to him, and like Lin Jong will get told to run with the pill when you get and take the game on.

FrediKanoute
29-06-2015, 03:56 PM
In my books he is a shoe in for another contract. We on current form would be crazy to let him go. He is another where possessions won are not the sole indicator of his output. We are a better balanced side with him in it.

always right
29-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Watching him this year he just seems so much more engaged in the game. I gues that's what happens when you are asked to play a two-way running game with a defensive focus. He seems to be so much more aware of his positioning and even barking orders to teammates. It seems the penny has finally dropped.

Cyberdoggie
30-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Anyone else notice he held and dropped the ball properly on that set shot he kicked?
Perhaps he's finally worked out that if you are actually going to be an onballer and kicking the ball regularly you just can't have a bizarre ball drop like that because it takes too long to grip the ball and dispose of it, the ball spins too fast and doesn't travel as far, and most importantly it's simply not a high percentage action.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2015, 04:48 PM

Agreed Mantis.

It was very frustrating, I thought he had an opportunity to actually be one of the better players on the ground but he kept making the wrong decision. Needs to start taking the game on himself more, which will then match his much improved work rate.

All of this is a good sign though. He's playing better than he ever has, primarily because he's staying involved in the game, and it's in a new position.

bornadog
30-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Agreed Mantis.

It was very frustrating, I thought he had an opportunity to actually be one of the better players on the ground but he kept making the wrong decision. Needs to start taking the game on himself more, which will then match his much improved work rate.

All of this is a good sign though. He's playing better than he ever has, primarily because he's staying involved in the game, and it's in a new position.

Do you think because he now plays further up the ground he can tend to be a little lost with all the space around him, compared to being just in the forward 50. Therefore he dishes the ball off very quickly to the first option, without looking around and being more spatially aware? I think he is still getting use to it.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Do you think because he now plays further up the ground he can tend to be a little lost with all the space around him, compared to being just in the forward 50. Therefore he dishes the ball off very quickly to the first option, without looking around and being more spatially aware? I think he is still getting use to it.

Possibly, it's a fair call BAD and why he probably deserves a little latitude and time to grow into the role. It's a credit to him that he's actually adjusted this well, given it was only a few years ago that his fitness and mental concentration was poor, and he simply struggled to get the ball. He's improved significantly in all of those areas, hopefully as he keeps playing and gaining in knowledge of the role/confidence, he'll become more spatially aware and subsequently a more damaging player for us.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Perhaps the chairman need not report every week. Dare I say it, statistically he had an identical game to Bobby, except Jarrad kicked a goal. Great first quarter and even the Channel 7 commentators were talking him up. #consistency :)

whythelongface
05-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Sensational first quarter. That pass to Dickson was sublime.

One thing though, please don't let him take set shots.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 12:28 AM

How many on our list could make that kick? Running at speed, 55m to a player on the sprint who doesn't break stride.

When you add that goal assist to his goal (we won by 11) and his goal last week (we won by 5 pts) with his 20 touches and X factor - he's doing a terrific job, despite missing some set shots (like many other team mates).

whythelongface
05-07-2015, 12:33 AM
What I liked about JG tonight was he looked like he was more composed and seemed like he had more time to think about his disposal.

He is growing in confidence and stays in the game for 4 quarters.

bornadog
05-07-2015, 12:36 AM

We seem to lose momentum when he took so long to tie up his shoe lace.

Obverall not a bad game, great first quarter.

1eyedog
05-07-2015, 12:40 AM
He was instrumental early. Great game.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Played well and is getting better but his set shots are the worst at the club.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 12:46 AM
He's going at over 74% effective this year for all possessions though.

SonofScray
05-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Another solid game. Hoping he can stick a few of those big grabs in the pack again soon, you can the confidence growing with each strong performance.

always right
05-07-2015, 12:52 AM
Played well and is getting better but his set shots are the worst at the club.
Dahlhaus starting to give him a run for his money.

boydogs
05-07-2015, 03:30 AM
I had him best on to half time but again he faded badly. But I'm cool with that, you don't develop a midfielder's tank overnight

jeemak
05-07-2015, 03:38 AM
He was magnificent in the first quarter. Didn't do anything overly special, but did the things the team needed him to do very well, and he did it often.

That's the type of output we want from him across four quarters, and I think with more understanding of his role and fitness he can do it across more quarters as time goes on.

Torpedo
05-07-2015, 11:48 AM
It looked to me when he was bent over doing up his shoelaces he appeared to be nodding to someone,
presumably wanting them to run past and kick the ball ala Cameron/ Koly/Gilbee in days past. Who in this team would
be the go to man? Dickson comes to mind. Given his poor set shot record we should have some plan in place for these moments.

Dancin' Douggy
05-07-2015, 11:54 AM
It looked to me when he was bent over doing up his shoelaces he appeared to be nodding to someone,
presumably wanting them to run past and kick the ball ala Cameron/ Koly/Gilbee in days past. Who in this team would
be the go to man? Dickson comes to mind. Given his poor set shot record we should have some plan in place for these moments.

EXACTLY. When Grant has a set shot, there's no nice deep thump of the boot sinking in to the sherrin. It sounds like a wet flathead being slapped on to a laminex bench.

Scorlibo
05-07-2015, 01:32 PM

I reckon Webb will be the man in years to come. It would have been nice to see someone offer the option to Granty, whose set shot shortcomings would best be explained by poor ball drop, stagnated run up, not running directly at the goals and the yips - in other words, everything.

He has been very influential in the first half in each of the last two matches. It would be a real win for the team for him to extend that output across four quarters and cement his spot in the 22 in the back half of the year.

boydogs
05-07-2015, 06:22 PM
presumably wanting them to run past and kick the ball ala Cameron/ Koly/Gilbee in days past.

Maybe after he got up, but the umpire had blown time off

bornadog
05-07-2015, 07:28 PM
EXACTLY. When Grant has a set shot, there's no nice deep thump of the boot sinking in to the sherrin. It sounds like a wet flathead being slapped on to a laminex bench.

Yet that kick in the first quarter from the backline into the forward line was a ripper travelling at least 60 metres and very accurate hitting Dickson.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Yet that kick in the first quarter from the backline into the forward line was a ripper travelling at least 60 metres and very accurate hitting Dickson.

He also kicked one from 45 on the run. He was actually the reason we weren't miled behind from the beginning.

Dancin' Douggy
05-07-2015, 09:38 PM
He also kicked one from 45 on the run. He was actually the reason we weren't miled behind from the beginning.

It's true. Out on the park he's fine. But lining up a set shot? He actually gets worse and worse.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Really enjoying see him play this year and he offers us the x factor except of course as we have all said his set shots

bulldogtragic
06-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Happy Birthday Jarrad.

azabob
06-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Happy Birthday Jarrad.

What did you get him BT? Other than your belief and unwavering support.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2015, 05:05 PM
What did you get him BT? Other than your belief and unwavering support.

Positive comments from members and supporters by doing the above. And a flight of the Conchords hair helmet.

bornadog
06-07-2015, 05:28 PM
http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=638&stc=1

Positive comments from members and supporters by doing the above. And a flight of the Conchords hair helmet.

http://images.theage.com.au/2013/08/11/4653142/art-353-svJGRANT-300x0.jpg

Cheers BT

Bulldog4life
06-07-2015, 06:29 PM

I thought he already had one;)

ratsmac
06-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Players such as Grant and to the lesser extent Stringer, instead of the normal run up when lining up for goal, they should actually sprint in because they are a better kick on the run.

1eyedog
07-07-2015, 03:15 PM

Exactly and it's why he got in my votes. Those three quick goals set us up in a very low scoring contest and Grant just seemed to be involved in the chain of all of them. Our start was one of the two critical factors in us winning. The other was Boyd, Picken and Stevens getting on top in the 3rd.

Twodogs
07-07-2015, 05:39 PM
We look good when Grant is playing well. Really good. He's a creative player who's at his best making opportunities or finishing off scoring chains.

It was good to see him doing lots of yelling and checking for and filling holes in the structure on Saturday night as well.

Twodogs
07-07-2015, 05:43 PM
And the 50-60 metre drop punt to Dickson in the first was a beauty too.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Somebody get him a new ball drop for his birthday. ;)

jeemak
07-07-2015, 09:08 PM
45m eh.......

always right
08-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Somebody get him a new ball drop for his birthday. ;)

He actually appears to have a new ball drop when he is having a set shot. Noticed it the last two weeks.....it's slightly less upright......not that it helped him on Saturday.

Bulldog Joe
08-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Just finished the WOOF awards and surprised there was so little love for Jarrad in the voting.

Thought he was our best player in the first quarter and contributed throughout the game.

Very happy with his form since coming back in the side.

boydogs
08-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Just finished the WOOF awards and surprised there was so little love for Jarrad in the voting.

Thought he was our best player in the first quarter and contributed throughout the game.

Very happy with his form since coming back in the side.

Good early but stopped to a crawl, I think he is still building his tank. 9 touches in the 1st quarter, 9 total in the 3 quarters after that

The Underdog
08-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Good early but stopped to a crawl, I think he is still building his tank. 9 touches in the 1st quarter, 9 total in the 3 quarters after that

He's 26. I don't get the building a tank theory. I like what he brings to the team but if he isn't fit enough to contribute for 4 quarters in his 8th season then there's something wrong.

bornadog
08-07-2015, 06:19 PM
He's 26. I don't get the building a tank theory. I like what he brings to the team but if he isn't fit enough to contribute for 4 quarters in his 8th season then there's something wrong.

Playing midfield is a different kettle of fish as you cover more ground, but I do agree with you.

GVGjr
08-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Given the news on Roberts, does Grant get a 2 or 3 year offer?

chef
08-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Seems to play best in a contract year, so maybe a 1 year deal is best;)

bulldogtragic
08-07-2015, 07:07 PM

Got to Buddy-esq doesn't it? Perhaps 7 years.

Twodogs
08-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Got to Buddy-esq doesn't it? Perhaps 7 years.

And wait six years for his one good year per contract? That'd be madness.

boydogs
08-07-2015, 08:14 PM

He's playing more on the ball now. He is running much harder than in previous seasons but still has a way to go

F'scary
08-07-2015, 08:34 PM
It's the position he is playing, on the wing. For most of his career it was as a deep forward. Things improved for him in 2013 when he was given a high half forward role. On the wing he really adds something, combining running, linking and broken play skills with the marking and spoiling skills of a taller player.

azabob
08-07-2015, 09:01 PM

I would go two years at most. If we are brutally honest how many good years has he actually had to give us confidence that he can perform for the duration of his next contract?

Maddog37
08-07-2015, 09:29 PM
He is a first 18 player. Two years with extension clauses as an incentive to play well.

bornadog
08-07-2015, 09:33 PM
He is a first 18 player. Two years with extension clauses as an incentive to play well.

Same

bulldogtragic
08-07-2015, 10:21 PM

Reward his confidence with our confidence as a club. I think he will be better for it and start to believe that he is good enough.

Happy Days
09-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Reward his confidence with our confidence as a club. I think he will be better for it and start to believe that he is good enough.

Agreed.

Not to stand around and wave my arms madly but why does no one get his season last year was not ruined because he didn't have the incentive of gaining a new contract to play for, it was because he didn't see the field till round 12!

He's playing really good football in a position we have been crying out for since the fledgling days of McCartney. But let's only give him one year because he might break his foot again?

Twodogs
09-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Agreed.

Not to stand around and wave my arms madly but why does no one get his season last year was not ruined because he didn't have the incentive of gaining a new contract to play for, it was because he didn't see the field till round 12!

He's playing really good football in a position we have been crying out for since the fledgling days of McCartney. But let's only give him one year because he might break his foot again?

He could be attacked by marine life again too.

bornadog
09-07-2015, 05:25 PM
He could be attacked by marine life again too.

From the HUN

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2008/02/22/va1237293116468/Former-Stingray-Jarrad-Grant-5902245.jpg

Bulldog Jarrad Grant used to play for the Dandenong stingrays, but would probably feel differently about having one on his chest after being stung by one.

Twodogs
10-07-2015, 12:59 PM
From the HUN

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2008/02/22/va1237293116468/Former-Stingray-Jarrad-Grant-5902245.jpg

Bulldog Jarrad Grant used to play for the Dandenong stingrays, but would probably feel differently about having one on his chest after being stung by one.

He's skinnier than me.

bornadog
10-07-2015, 02:01 PM
He's skinnier than me.

He was 18 then

Twodogs
10-07-2015, 04:09 PM
He was 18 then

I still don't see many people skinnier than me.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Another 17 at 83%. Second team high for 1%, 5 marks and some crucial inside 50's.

That a boy.

EasternWest
11-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Another 17 at 83%. Second team high for 1%, 5 marks and some crucial inside 50's.

That a boy.

Was very good today. We're a better side when his mind is in the right spot.

hujsh
11-07-2015, 08:47 PM
I learned something about Grant today. He has a left foot. Never seen it before but I liked what I saw

No more using bananas to pass to people on his right.

Twodogs
11-07-2015, 08:56 PM
I learned something about Grant today. He has a left foot. Never seen it before but I liked what I saw

No more using bananas to pass to people on his right.

Bevo is big on the players using their alternate foot. They have to do all drills with their alternate foot.

boydogs
11-07-2015, 09:02 PM

That a boy.

Did a lot of unrewarded running. Got ridiculously free down the corridor at one stage and Bonts eventually kicked it to him about 40m skyward and allowed him to get crunched

The coach needs to play that tape back and explain that taking the game on means taking a free option in the corridor when it presents itself. The players need a practical example of what taking the game on means and how we avoid kicking 4 goals in 3 quarters

hujsh
11-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Bevo is big on the players using their alternate foot. They have to do all drills with their alternate foot.

I think I've read as much here and I've noticed players using their oppo more but it's still a massive turnaround for Grant and the first time I've seen him use it.

boydogs
11-07-2015, 09:32 PM

Think I heard on the Melb v Ess broadcast that Bevo gave the players 6 months to learn to kick and handball with their non-preferred or not get games. That's the first I've heard of that being a focus

SonofScray
11-07-2015, 10:25 PM
His attacking handball is a thing of beauty. Surgical precision, the equivalent of a through ball in soccer.

jeemak
11-07-2015, 10:52 PM
His smart hands stood out today, as did two kicks that really hit targets when they needed to be hit. His first two kicks forward belied some very poor decision making, but he wasn't alone in that regard.

For him not to get a single tackle whilst running through the midfield was a little pathetic, however. Let's hope he doesn't let it happen again.

Overall not a bad game where he should have been rewarded for some hard running, and was really clean with hand and foot at times when that sort of thing was desperately needed.

Bulldog4life
12-07-2015, 12:26 AM

Said on Fox today that Bevo has given each player 12 mths to be able to use their opposite foot proficiently

Bulldog4life
12-07-2015, 12:27 AM

Said on Fox today that Bevo has given each player 12 mths to be able to use their opposite foot proficiently

jeemak
12-07-2015, 12:28 AM
Sorry B4L, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at?

Bulldog4life
12-07-2015, 12:35 AM

Touche pressed it twice ha ha

bulldogtragic
12-07-2015, 12:38 AM

Luke Beveridge has told the players they need to be able to kick on their natural and non preferred foot. Not dinky little bananas or dribbles or running arcs to get on their preferred foot.

jeemak
12-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Luke Beveridge has told the players they need to be able to kick on their natural and non preferred foot. Not dinky little bananas or dribbles or running arcs to get on their preferred foot.

Dude, he double posted..........I was just ribbing him because of it.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2015, 12:44 AM
Dude, he double posted..........I was just ribbing him because of it.

Didn't see the double post. Don't mind me.

jeemak
12-07-2015, 12:44 AM
On point however, I can't fathom how stupid the concept is anyway.

What kind of professional footballer in the age of congestion wouldn't want to be proficient on both sides? The fact we have a senior coach giving deadlines for players to master a common requirement of the game boggles the mind for me.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 05:10 PM
How good was his double dive and dish out on defensive 50 in the last? I thought that potential turnover was going to get another score and create too much momentum for them, but his intent to dive, knock it, dive from the ground and then work it out was amazing. It might not show on the stats sheet, but I thought it was very important.

bornadog
26-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Should never have been sub.

SlimPickens
26-07-2015, 05:14 PM

Why? Sounds like he had an impact as sub, which is what you want.

Mantis
26-07-2015, 05:18 PM

Why not? He played poorly last week.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Why? Sounds like he had an impact as sub, which is what you want.

He didn't have a great game against Geelong. BT didn't even bother to give him a report on it.:)

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 05:27 PM
He didn't have a great game against Geelong. BT didn't even bother to give him a report on it.:)

I thought he played well enough to miss the report. But glad to know you're on the ball B4L :)

Bulldog4life
26-07-2015, 05:29 PM
I thought he played well enough to miss the report. But glad to know you're on the ball B4L :)

Fibber.;)

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Fibber.;)

Rephrase, not great but not horrible. Just another game. He kicked a clutch goal on the run. As I remember it he got the ball at half back, shrugged two tacklers, took 3 bounces around 5 opponents and burst into 50 and with 3 tacklers on him still kicked it. Amazing.

azabob
26-07-2015, 05:46 PM
How good was his double dive and dish out on defensive 50 in the last?

I thought it was a throw and we were lucky the umpire let play go on.

Is it possible that he and Lachie Hunter are playing for the same spot in the starting 18?

He got involved which was good, we have been great if he kicked the goal in the fourth.

Twodogs
26-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Rephrase, not great but not horrible. Just another game. He kicked a clutch goal on the run. As I remember it he got the ball at half back, shrugged two tacklers, took 3 bounces around 5 opponents and burst into 50 and with 3 tacklers on him still kicked it. Amazing.

Is that the one that sailed out of the ground into the bay and into the back of a ship headed for Brazil? Apparantly the ship made it to Brazil in record time and the locals found the footy. They had a quick kick and have completely abandoned soccer in favour of AFL. It's happening all over South America. It's called the microphone head effect.

Go_Dogs
26-07-2015, 05:56 PM
How good was his double dive and dish out on defensive 50 in the last? I thought that potential turnover was going to get another score and create too much momentum for them, but his intent to dive, knock it, dive from the ground and then work it out was amazing. It might not show on the stats sheet, but I thought it was very important.

It was good but like a few others, his missed goal hurt in the 4th. He's been travelling just OK of late and needs a few good weeks to ensure he is in our finals 22.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 08:25 PM
It was good but like a few others, his missed goal hurt in the 4th. He's been travelling just OK of late and needs a few good weeks to ensure he is in our finals 22.

I think he's easily in a finals team at the moment. I'm watching replay and his diving efforts and dish out at defensive 50 was absolutely exceptional. Not just just the two full length dives, but his hands were incredible. Watch it several times, it just gets more incredible. He has tricks that not many have and again our run of wins when he plays continues. I think he was wasted as a sub, but he had vital involvements when the going got tough. The dives, hands and a key contested mark with Varcoe when it got to 11 points and they were pressuring.

jeemak
26-07-2015, 08:54 PM
He was pathetic in the first three quarters today, hardly sighted.

Finally tried to earn a wage in the last.

Twodogs
26-07-2015, 08:57 PM
He was pretty ordinary in the first three quarters of the game, wasn't he?

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 09:49 PM

I believe it's an absolute fact he was the best sub player WBFC had in the first 3 quarters. :D

1eyedog
26-07-2015, 09:57 PM

Yes I don't think he had a possession until after 3q time.

He's definitely in our best 22. He brings a positive uniqueness few others bring, whatever that means.

Rocco Jones
26-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Just needs one more string to his bow. Either the ability to find it more often or improving his kicking for goal. He is a sound member of the 22 and if he keeps working on his game, I see him as the type who will look better in a quality side.

boydogs
26-07-2015, 10:29 PM

It was, he definitely brought intent when he came on but he overdid it really. He was going twice as fast as the bloke with the ball when he went to tackle, one lead to a free against and the other the bloke ducked under and got away

Rocco Jones
26-07-2015, 10:33 PM
I think his ability to hit a contest was always his main strength, it was just ironically countered by his unwillingness to use his strength. A bizarre skill set Jarrad Grant has. Amazing natural forward defensive type attributes with a meh attitude (hopefully in the past now). I like having him in the 22.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 07:27 PM
I think I might leave the weekly report now.

This is his most games in a year since 2011. We win 75% of games with him in, and only win 25% with him out in 2015.

Some of his kicking is crazy good and hands are sublimely great. I like that he always goes when its turn this year. So much unrewarded running and a heap of metres gained again today. He is missing his set shots, but that's not the main criteria to judge him. May his confidence grow through finals.

GVGjr
02-08-2015, 07:28 PM
That run down the wing (against Stanton from memory) was sensational.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 07:32 PM
That run down the wing (against Stanton from memory) was sensational.

Amazing burst speed absolutely. I'm watching th replay already and waiting for it. I thought the first or second bounce was weird in real time, so I want to see what he did.

EasternWest
02-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Amazing burst speed absolutely. I'm watching th replay already and waiting for it. I thought the first or second bounce was weird in real time, so I want to see what he did.

I think he bounced it and caught it with the one hand and then bounced it again.

Would've loved to have seen him back himself in a tried to slot it. I'm all for team play, but sometimes you've gotta go with the flow.

hujsh
02-08-2015, 08:04 PM
The free against him for diving on the ball was unfair as well. Handballed it out but it was then dragged back in

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 08:06 PM
I think he bounced it and caught it with the one hand and then bounced it again.

Would've loved to have seen him back himself in a tried to slot it. I'm all for team play, but sometimes you've gotta go with the flow.

Wow. That's exactly what he did. I don't think I've ever seem that before, especially at such pace and under pressure. All it needed was Harlem Globetrotter music. He's got magic that only a few players possess.

merantau
02-08-2015, 08:39 PM
If we are talking 'X-factor' Grant brings a fair bit to the table. I'm a fan.

G-Mo77
02-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Yeah thought the same. In the end it was a poor option and would have been a better % to have a crack at the sticks. Would have been a contender for GOTY if he dobbed it.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 08:47 PM
Grant had some good passages of play today, and some not so good too. I like him in the side at the moment because he brings something different and has some pace which he demonstrated today but I wouldn't have had him in our top 15 on the ground (actually, maybe he just sneaks in).

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2015, 02:19 AM
His field kicking is actually very good, his kicking for goal is horrific - such strange contrasts.

Thought he was OK today, some really good moments coupled with some bad ones. He's holding his spot though, no danger of being dropped.

whythelongface
03-08-2015, 09:27 AM
His field kicking is actually very good, his kicking for goal is horrific - such strange contrasts.

Thought he was OK today, some really good moments coupled with some bad ones. He's holding his spot though, no danger of being dropped.

That's it isn't it. That pass to Crameri when he burst through the middle was sublime. However his kicking for goal from set shots is abysmal. Has to be between the ears.

I enjoy watching him play as he does bring that x-factor to the table, however I do wish he would get more involved and look for the ball a bit more. He seems to stay out of the packs and wait for the opportunity to be the link man. These are more than likely the instructions that he follows.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2015, 01:05 PM
I enjoy watching him play as he does bring that x-factor to the table, however I do wish he would get more involved and look for the ball a bit more. He seems to stay out of the packs and wait for the opportunity to be the link man. These are more than likely the instructions that he follows.

Yeah I think it is by instruction. He has serious legspeed which he has started to use more often this season, although I'd like to see it more. He can be too unselfish at times (ie. should have had a shot at goal after his long run). By staying 'out of the pack' it also enables him to apply defensive pressure if the opposition win the ball, which he is doing better too.

Hawthorn certainly use players in similar roles to great effect. Players like Smith and Hill don't usually rack up huge numbers, but they are very effective and damaging. Grant is a lesser version and would be pretty damaging himself if he converted those 1-2 chances per game he gets to hit the scoreboard.

Nevertheless, I think Grant playing well helps our structure a lot.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Hit him back Jarrad. Keep it up son!!!!!

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 04:41 PM
So much u rewarded running. When Stringer got that mark Jarrad was in the goal square on his own. His running is massive.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Grant has regularly been in both goal squares. Pressure acts great with his running too.

GVGjr
08-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Grant has regularly been in both goal squares. Pressure acts great with his running too.

His match awareness has improved so much this season. He's a quick thinker with excellent reflexes as well sometimes too quick for his teammates