PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Honeychurch

Go_Dogs
12-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Fast becoming one of my favourites for his defensive work and intensity. His disposal and offensive work was a lot better this week than last and he's really finding his feet at AFL level now.

He's benefitted perhaps from both Hrovat and Hunter being unavailable for selection in the early rounds but it's going to be very difficult to displace him if he keeps up his current form, and indeed, continues to improve.

A lot to like at the moment, and whilst most of the attention has been on our higher profile, early draft picks, his improvement has been just as impressive. It's great to have the elite game breakers, but equally important to have blokes like Honey forming the backbone of our side.

Is he now a lock best 22 player?
Can we play all of him, Dahl, Hrovat and Hunter in the same side?
Where will he end up playing his best football, noting he seems very comfortable in the midfield, as well as being a terrier up forward?

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Watching him yesterday, I thought we'd uncovered a faster Liberatore Snr.

So, I really liked watching it. Forget just Dahl, Hrovat, Hunter & Honey. We've got Daniel and a few other smalls too.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 02:21 PM
I think at this stage Honeychurch is in the best 22, he goes in hard, has some speed, tackles and harasses and can kick a goal here and there. He has faded a bit towards the last quarter over the past two weeks, but I think that is understandable.

whythelongface
12-04-2015, 02:24 PM
He has been really good over the last couple of weeks. Hard at the ball and has speed. He was a steal at pick 60.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Watching him yesterday, I thought we'd uncovered a faster Liberatore Snr.

So, I really liked watching it. Forget just Dahl, Hrovat, Hunter & Honey. We've got Daniel and a few other smalls too.

It's a good point, forgot about Daniel and we can add McLean, Hamilton and Dale at to that list.

It's going to be interesting to see how we manage it over the balance of the season and beyond.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 02:29 PM
It's a good point, forgot about Daniel and we can add McLean, Hamilton and Dale at to that list.

It's going to be interesting to see how we manage it over the balance of the season and beyond.

I wouldn't be worrying about the first year players at this stage, that is a question for next year or late in the season. Its really a question of Dahl, Honey, Hrovat and Hunter and who is ahead of who.

ratsmac
12-04-2015, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't be worrying about the first year players at this stage, that is a question for next year or late in the season. Its really a question of Dahl, Honey, Hrovat and Hunter and who is ahead of who.

It's quite the conundrum isn't it. All 4 have genuine claims to be regulars, but can we fit in all 4 while keeping team balance? I believe they call this depth.

F'scary
12-04-2015, 04:27 PM
I don't think there is a problem playing 3 or 4 players under 180cm if they are good enough. We've got a pretty big, robust team otherwise when you look at it.

Smads57
12-04-2015, 05:09 PM
I think at this stage Honeychurch is in the best 22, he goes in hard, has some speed, tackles and harasses and can kick a goal here and there. He has faded a bit towards the last quarter over the past two weeks, but I think that is understandable.

Agree that Honey has faded the last two weeks - I noticed also at the end of last year in the VFL finals series he was "stuffed" by season's end. It might be an idea for the match committee to look after him and rest him every 6 weeks or so. Will be a great player when he has another couple of pre-seasons in him. Another fan favourite!

(NB - we are really spoilt as Bulldogs supporters for "fan favorites" at present - I can't make up my mind - glad i'm not a kid having to decide which players number to have on my jumper....#can't decide)

westdog54
12-04-2015, 05:46 PM

His lack of tank definitely stood out in preseason last year but he's still young. I'll judge him again after another couple of preseasons.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 06:56 PM
His lack of tank definitely stood out in preseason last year but he's still young. I'll judge him again after another couple of preseasons.

A few posters have talked about needing a gun small defender. His tenacity could be good down back, if other smalls hurt the scoreboard better. If he tires late season, perhaps that could be a try?

GVGjr
12-04-2015, 07:53 PM
A few posters have talked about needing a gun small defender. His tenacity could be good down back, if other smalls hurt the scoreboard better. If he tires late season, perhaps that could be a try?

Maybe, I tend to think that Hunter might be the first one to go to the back 6.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2015, 09:37 PM

Id be happy with that. He's just behind Grant in players that inspires no confidence in set shot kicking.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2015, 09:40 PM

One thing that Hunter will need to bring to his game (wherever he plays) is a real hard, defensive intent. He hasn't displayed it yet, in fact some of his poorest moments have been him showing zero defensive intent. He's a very classy player but with the way we are wanting to play, we cannot afford 'missing links'.

I love Honeychurch. I saw him dominate a couple of VFL games from the midfield early to mid last season and was sold on him as a player. I was hesitant when we drafted him, but his tenacity is infectious - he literally throws himself into contests and loves tackling. Quite a smart player too in terms of reading the play - he just needs a bit more composure and fitness, both of which come with games/years.

Not sure we can play all three of Honey/Hrovat/Hunter as the side currently is. We can play two of them. To play three, somebody like JJ (possibly Grant) would need to be out of form.

stefoid
13-04-2015, 12:28 AM
I wanted rovat in for Honeychurch after round 1 , but now I changed my mind.

Still grumpy that Daniel is injured though. Polished disposal we could use more of.

Twodogs
13-04-2015, 01:12 AM
I didn't know Daniel was injured. What's wrong with him?

Testekill
13-04-2015, 01:19 AM

Tore a meniscus the week before round 1.

bornadog
13-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Check the injury thread.

Ozza
13-04-2015, 10:29 AM

I actually thought his last quarter was brilliant this week. Several times he was the only one in our front half to kick to and was outnumbered but just competed and pressured and bought his team mates some time to push back up the ground.

Mofra
13-04-2015, 10:45 AM
He does create goals from his defensive pressure which is excellent. Seems to be following Dahl in the "pressure acts" stakes and he could hardly have a better AFL mentor.

At this stage I'd say Honey is the type of player who isn't best 22 on talent but is best 22 on what he offers to the side, especially given it's now obvious how important tackle pressure is important to our gameplan.
Hrovat/Hunter don't just have to perform to push him out of the side - they have to show they can display the same defensive intent, and Hunter (while I think he is a better player) hasn't done so yet.
Hrovat is more midfield than Honey.

Worth bearing in mind how young the kid is too - we have players on our list who weren't even rookied at Honey's age yet here he is playing in the best 22. Huge tick for him.

w3design
13-04-2015, 11:50 AM
My eldest son has already accused me of having a "man crush" on Mitch Honeychurch.
Very quickly becoming one of my favourite players.
Hope he gets the NAB Rising Star nomination this week. Would be well deserved.

F'scary
13-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Having watched the first two games of the year, I am puzzled that there are suggestions here or there that Honeychurch isn't great on the disposal. Check out his handball to Murphy in traffic in the sequence that leads to Grant's running into the open goal against Richmond. Pure class.

Go_Dogs
13-04-2015, 09:23 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-13/mitch-mirrors-dogs-rise

Has received the Round 2 Rising Star Nomination.

josie
13-04-2015, 09:29 PM
I watched a few VFL matches last year and thought Honeychurch would make it at AFL level and that his intent and footy smarts were high.

Imagine Honeychurch and Clay Smith playing in the same side later this year, something to savour.

He seems like a reasonably smart lad too, based upon his post match interview.

Testekill
13-04-2015, 09:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WC6X1Dt.gif