PDA

View Full Version : A season defining three weeks...

Go_Dogs
12-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Our next three weeks are suddenly of huge importance - we've played some promising football thus far (in fact, probably a bit more than that) and have given ourselves a good platform to attack the balance of the season - however we now face:-

1. Hawthorn in Tasmania, coming off a loss to the Bombers today. They're incredibly difficult to beat at the best of times, and will be doing their best to put in a strong performance and atone for today.

2. Adelaide at Etihad, who are in great form, have a strong list with elite players across every line and look to be embracing Walsh's systems.

3. Sydney at the SCG, who demonstrated on Saturday night why they are still the major threat to the Hawks winning another flag with a well rounded performance, again a well coached side, with awesome forwards and elite players across each line.

I'm not at all confident leading into this weeks game, however think we can match up OK against the Crows, and note Sydney are playing Fremantle in Perth before we go over there to play them - hopefully they'll have a few sore bodies and will be ripe for picking.

If we can pinch a win in one of the next 3, we're a good chance to go into the bye round 6-4, and give ourselves a chance of playing finals this year.

What is your expectation over the next 3 weeks?

boydogs
12-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm not convinced on Adelaide. They got the jump on North at home and Collingwood are hopeless

chef
12-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Can't wait for this. Its going to show us exactly where we are at.

whythelongface
12-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Realistically I don't expect to win any of these three games. Hopefully we will put up a good show. If we can pinch a win it will be against Adelaide, but they are tracking hot at the moment.

Then there are 5 more games until the bye with GWS, Melbourne and St Kilda being winnable games. Thus 5-5 at the time of the bye. I can then see us winning 6 games at the back end of the season leaving us will 11 wins. This would be a very good year if this were to be achieved.

F'scary
12-04-2015, 08:59 PM
To win against any of those three we need as a minimum the following:

1. Stringer to get rid of the yips from the set shots.
2. Tom Boyd to start clunking 2 or 3 marks in the forward line a game.
3. Someone to start playing reasonably well at CHF.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2015, 09:34 PM
An interesting and testing three weeks, that's for sure.

I don't think we'll win any of them and I'm OK with that, but I hope we're competitive.

Having said that, I am not sold on Adelaide either. They haven't been pressured yet - Norf were woeful in R1 and Collingwood are mediocre at best. If we bring our pressure game, we can certainly test Adelaide who have had it all one way thus far.

AndrewP6
12-04-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm just looking for them to attack, be confident and try to maintain the great tackle pressure for as long as possible. Not thinking we'll win any of them, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

BulldogBelle
12-04-2015, 10:00 PM
We will win them all.

Hamling and Webb will probably come into the side.

Hamling as a forward and Webb as an on-baller.

1eyedog
12-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Realistically I don't expect to win any of these three games. Hopefully we will put up a good show. If we can pinch a win it will be against Adelaide, but they are tracking hot at the moment.

Then there are 5 more games until the bye with GWS, Melbourne and St Kilda being winnable games. Thus 5-5 at the time of the bye. I can then see us winning 6 games at the back end of the season leaving us will 11 wins. This would be a very good year if this were to be achieved.
These are my thoughts (and expectations) as well, although I feel we are a chance against Adelaide.

lemmon
12-04-2015, 10:34 PM
All about game style for me, I'd be pretty chuffed if we kept the run and gun style going without fear of what's coming the other way. Realistically I don't expect us to snatch one but I've been surprised so far

MrMahatma
12-04-2015, 10:55 PM
There's no reason we can't surprise a few of these teams. We should be in them all up to our eyeballs so with a bit of luck we'll jag a win or two.

bornadog
12-04-2015, 11:02 PM
I think we will be competitive against Hawthorn (as we were last year in Launceston), we can beat Adelaide, actually we will beat Adelaide and I can't see us winning in Sydney.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2015, 11:19 PM
It will be fascinating to see where we are at. If we can maintain our ferociousness at both the ball and man we will be competitive against everyone. I can't see us beating Hawthorn or Sydney but will definitely give Adelaide a shake.

Remi Moses
12-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Hate to be the wet blanket, but I reckon we get one of the next three we'd be stoked.
Great experience for our young list the next three weeks

bulldogtragic
13-04-2015, 12:10 AM
I hoped we'd win the first two, but would not have bet the house. I hope we next the next three, but won't bet the house. The only thing relevant to us winning is nothing to do with me, my betting habits or my house. So bring them on.

Avoid the rush
13-04-2015, 01:54 AM
I'm still scratching my head over the swap of Cordy for Redpath! Sure Redpath struggled against West Coast but I thought he was worth a couple of weeks try at CHF. Cordy IS not and NEVER will be a centre half forward......Ruck or nothing I reckon. Wonder if they might try Hambling at CHF.

To win against any of those three we need as a minimum the following:

1. Stringer to get rid of the yips from the set shots.
2. Tom Boyd to start clunking 2 or 3 marks in the forward line a game.
3. Someone to start playing reasonably well at CHF.

Bulldog Joe
13-04-2015, 07:15 AM
I did suggest in the Where Will we Finish Poll that we could win 7 from the first 9.

In that I was conceding the Hawthorn and Sydney games, so I see no reason to change.

Adelaide have looked good, but as others have pointed out they haven't been tested.

It would be huge for us if we could get over Hawthorn or Sydney. Supporters are probably not expecting us to do so, I am certain the team will give themselves a real chance.

While you don't expect Hawthorn to drop 2 in a row, Essendon have shown they can be beaten.
Bring it on.

SonofScray
13-04-2015, 09:06 AM
We are playng attacking footy. I think we are giving ourselves every chance to beat whoever we come up against on the day, including these teams who will present a tough challenge. I am full of belief.

Smads57
13-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Not willing to predict what might happen in respect of the final scoreline in the next 3 games, so will remain silent on that point. What I do want to see over the next 3 weeks is:
1. continued improvement in individuals - Boyd, Wood, JJ, Honey, Talia, Jongy
2. for those playing well already, to maintain their form - Wally, Bonti, Strings, Jacko, Minno, M Boyd, Murph
3. maybe get an opportunity to see one of our 2014 recruits - Webby, Biggs, Hamling
4. have a better idea who we play at CHF/second ruck - TC, Ayce, Redders, ??
5. introduction of Clay Smith, Hrovat and Hunter into the firsts at some stage

JohnGentStand
13-04-2015, 10:26 PM
As good as those 3 teams are, Sydney are the scariest. Star quality everywhere.

Mofra
14-04-2015, 01:49 PM
All about game style for me, I'd be pretty chuffed if we kept the run and gun style going without fear of what's coming the other way. Realistically I don't expect us to snatch one but I've been surprised so far
Ditto. I want to see us stick to task and keep the pressure up all game - win, lose or draw.
If we can become one of the hardest tackling sides in the competition, our natural talent will allow the other parts of our game to fall into place over the coming years.

westdog54
14-04-2015, 04:02 PM
All I want to really see against Sydney and Hawthorn is that we throw the kitchen sink at them. I remember back to 2013 when he had a really tough run home, but had what were considered at the time to be honourable losses, in particular against Sydney where they remarked at how sore their players were after the physical contest we produced.

That's the sort of stuff I want to see. If we lose, we lose. But if we lose having thrown everything we had at them, then I can accept that.

LostDoggy
14-04-2015, 09:17 PM
We are playng attacking footy. I think we are giving ourselves every chance to beat whoever we come up against on the day, including these teams who will present a tough challenge. I am full of belief.

Agree.

With confidence and self beleif anything is possible.

KT31
17-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Agree.

With confidence and self beleif anything is possible.

Oh if only this was true.

Flamethrower
17-04-2015, 11:41 AM
The next 3 weeks will show if we are "ahead of the curve". That would mean winning 2 or 3 of the games to show that we are good enough to compete (and beat) the competition's elite teams, and would suggest another 1997 like season where we come from the depths of despair to become a top 4 team. Unlikely but far from impossible.

If the next 3 games go as expected however, with 3 losses (or maybe an upset win over the Crows) it will only confirm where we are at this season - building for an assault on the finals in 2016 or 2017, with a tilt at a flag by 2018/19.

Eastdog
18-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Will be a tough 3 matches ahead and a great challenge for our youngsters. I've been really impressed with how we have played thus far especially our pressure footy. Our defence has held up well which for me is still a concern as the strong sides will really test it. I really believe we can be in all 3 of these games and who knows get a win.

KT31
19-04-2015, 02:49 AM
Would be happy to win one of the games and not be blown out of the water the other two.
Would be ecstatic if we won two and was competitive in the third.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Loss to Hawthorn with two big injuries in the first quarter.
75 points up at three quarter time against Adelaide, who were top.
Sydney, SCG, their conditions, everything in their favour. Kicked the winning goal.

Happy?

Murphy'sLore
02-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Happy.

LostDoggy
02-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Oh yeah baby, I'm happy too!!!!

1eyedog
02-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Ecstatic, far bigger and more meaningful win today.

hujsh
02-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Nope. Expected perfection. Very dissatisfied.

westdog54
02-05-2015, 07:16 PM
I'd give us a pass mark...

Twodogs
02-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Very happy.

LostDoggy
02-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Ecstatic

LostDoggy
02-05-2015, 08:57 PM
In a Nirvana state of bliss

stefoid
02-05-2015, 09:46 PM
Season defined.

next?

AndrewP6
02-05-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm just looking for them to attack, be confident and try to maintain the great tackle pressure for as long as possible. Not thinking we'll win any of them, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

For once, I LOVE TO BE PROVEN WRONG!!!!!

Twodogs
02-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Not just happy. Blissful.

Go_Dogs
03-05-2015, 12:12 AM
Season defined.

next?

I'll give it some thought, presumably top 4 and a flag though, right?

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 12:44 AM
Thread is now unequivocally Season Defining Twenty Two Weeks.

FrediKanoute
03-05-2015, 08:31 AM
I am starting to believe.....daring to believe even.

What it does mean though is how important our next 3 games are....

SonofScray
03-05-2015, 08:33 AM
Every game is important now. There is a flag that wags waiting for us to wrestle it away from 7 other contenders.

BulldogBelle
05-05-2015, 06:14 PM
l am a HAPPY camper!