PDA

View Full Version : Neil Sasche

GVGjr
16-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I got this from the club a bit earlier and thought you might find it interesting.

Former Footscray footballer Neil Sachse will return to the Kennel on Monday, 19 November to view the ever-changing redevelopment and formalise a partnership between his Foundation, The Neil Sachse Foundation, and the Western Bulldogs.

Sachse created the Neil Sachse Foundation following a tragic accident at Whitten Oval during a game in 1975 that left him a quadriplegic. His aim was to create a Foundation to operate as a centre of Excellence for the treatment of spinal cord injury.

Sachse’s return to the Western Bulldogs is part of the club’s goal to find all “lost dogs” out in the community who may have played for Footscray or supported the side back in the day.

2008 will see the $26M Whitten Oval redevelopment open with a Hall of Fame to follow in 2009 with a section of that Hall of Fame to be dedicated to Neil Sachse.

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose said the partnership with the Neil Sachse Foundation was about embracing the past of the club and taking it into the new era.

“Neil Sachse is an example of what can be achieved if you believe it. This mirrors the values of the Western Bulldogs Football Club as we strive for excellence on and off the field. His Foundation has raised in excess of $2 million since 1994 providing groundbreaking research into new treatments for spinal cord injury that has the potential to return some lost function to humans,” he said.

“We are the community club of the AFL and to that end we want past supporters and players to re-join the fabric that makes up our club. Our Hall of Fame will reflect the rich past that we have had – both good and bad times – and highlight the successes we have achieved over the past few years. Those people should join us in celebrating that success.”

The Western Bulldogs formed a Heritage Committee in 2005 with two historians Ray Stevens and Darren Arthur, in order to achieve three goals; welcome back all of the “lost dogs” out there in the community, coordinate the return of the club’s memorabilia and historic items, and preserve the Club history.

Chairman of the Heritage Committee, Neil O’Keefe said “The heritage committee is about bringing back the past and taking it into the present through the proud history and heritage of the red, white and blue.”

“Having Neil Sachse return to the Oval, the site of his tragic accident, is a great example of bringing the past back to the oval into what’s going to be our wonderful new home boasting an outstanding display showcasing the history of this club,” O’keefe said.

Members of the Heritage Committee are: Brett Joseph, George Montebello, Glenys Jackson, Joe Azzopardi, Neil O’Keefe, Ray Stevens and Darren Arthur.

Dogs 24/7
16-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Its heartening to know the club is involved with initiatives like this.

The Coon Dog
16-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I was only a kid at the time, grade 5 & still remember the incident as tho it was yesterday.

Below is an article I commend you to all read that appeared in The Age in 2005.

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/Features/The-one/2005/05/27/1117129897230.html

GVGjr
16-11-2007, 10:59 PM
alwaysadogs has it listed here.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=366

BulldogBelle
17-11-2007, 12:30 AM
alwaysadogs has it listed here.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=366

Good article that GVG, I remember reading it earlier this year when AAD put it up, infact he has put up quite a few interesting threads here on The Doug Hawkins Wing.

Dry Rot
17-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Well before my time, but I think of him when players get reported for charging a guy with his head over the ball.

BulldogBelle
17-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Well before my time, but I think of him when players get reported for charging a guy with his head over the ball.

Yep, I think most Bulldog supporters think back to that incident whenever those types of reports get made.

bornadog
18-11-2007, 12:36 AM
I was only a kid at the time, grade 5 & still remember the incident as tho it was yesterday.

Same here and had a birds eye view from the John Gent stand, shocking stuff.

I noticed in the article the redevelopment is now $26 million, it keeps going up.

Mantis
19-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Just saw a piece on channel 10 news on this topic. Neil was wheeled out to the place where the incident occured and spoke to the entire playing group.

GVGjr
19-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Another update from the club.

12.15pm: TODAY - 19 November, 2007

Former Footscray footballer Neil Sachse will return to the Kennel on Monday, 19 November to view the ever-changing redevelopment and formalise a partnership between his Foundation, The Neil Sachse Foundation, and the Western Bulldogs.

Sachse created the Neil Sachse Foundation following a tragic accident at Whitten Oval during a game in 1975 that left him a quadriplegic. His aim was to create a Foundation to operate as a centre of Excellence for the treatment of spinal cord injury.

Sachse’s return to the Western Bulldogs is part of the club’s goal to find all “lost dogs” out in the community who may have played for Footscray or supported the side back in the day.

2008 will see the $26M Whitten Oval redevelopment open with a Hall of Fame to follow in 2009 with a section of that Hall of Fame to be dedicated to Neil Sachse.

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose said the partnership with the Neil Sachse Foundation was about embracing the past of the club and taking it into the new era.

“Neil Sachse is an example of what can be achieved if you believe it. This mirrors the values of the Western Bulldogs Football Club as we strive for excellence on and off the field. His Foundation has raised in excess of $2 million since 1994 providing groundbreaking research into new treatments for spinal cord injury that has the potential to return some lost function to humans,” he said.

“We are the community club of the AFL and to that end we want past supporters and players to re-join the fabric that makes up our club. Our Hall of Fame will reflect the rich past that we have had – both good and bad times – and highlight the successes we have achieved over the past few years. Those people should join us in celebrating that success.”

The Western Bulldogs formed a Heritage Committee in 2005 with two historians Ray Stevens and Darren Arthur, in order to achieve three goals; welcome back all of the “lost dogs” out there in the community, coordinate the return of the club’s memorabilia and historic items, and preserve the Club history.

Chairman of the Heritage Committee, Neil O’Keefe said “The heritage committee is about bringing back the past and taking it into the present through the proud history and heritage of the red, white and blue.”

“Having Neil Sachse return to the Oval, the site of his tragic accident, is a great example of bringing the past back to the oval into what’s going to be our wonderful new home boasting an outstanding display showcasing the history of this club,” O’keefe said.

Members of the Heritage Committee are: Brett Joseph, George Montebello, Glenys Jackson, Joe Azzopardi, Neil O’Keefe, Ray Stevens and Darren Arthur.

The Western Bulldogs would like to welcome back other “lost dogs” to assist with making the Hall of Fame the best it can be. Please contact us on 1300 GO DOGS (46 36 47).