PDA

View Full Version : The Wednesday WOOF Armchair Coaches Strategy Session - Round 3

bulldogtragic
15-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Last round we coaches got the match ups, plan b's and tactics right. I predicted an 18 point win, so we might be onto something.

I thought I'd try something a little different if it's OK with the mods. The great thing about WOOF was the weekly preview threads, but as life get's busier it's harder to keep it going for a full season it would seem. So I'm thinking that we could start this thread every Wednesday to have a good mid week discussion (leading into game day) after injury and training reports are in from both clubs and ask that participants in the thread try to bring an interest key stat, historical stat, opinion and thoughts about the specific game. If we all add a little bit on value and info, we might get some cracking threads and learn some new things. As for Wednesday, I like Wednesday because there's nothing good on TV and you haven't had your social sports team practice so you're not too tired.

So armchair coaches, it's business time. Lets set up the win:

So after some thought this week, VFL reports, review of the game and injury reports. Looking at the opposition match ups too, do we offer any change to the side. Has your mind changed since posting immediately after the last round? -

My Changes: Hrovat is far too good to have playing VFL. So Hrovat for Goodes. Hamling might be an in for structural reasons (Roughy, Gunston, Ceglar, Hale & McEvoy)

My key match up & why: Boyd on Lake. probably the hardest opponent he has had. Gibson will zone off, so something has to be different for Boyd this week in terms of positioning and running patterns etc. But a contest is a good start:

My Plan A & Plan B across the lines:
(Defence) A - Roughy on Roughy - B- Talia on Roughy
(Midfield) A - Honeychurch on Hodge - B - Wood on Hodge
(Forward) A - Cordy at CHF (decoy) - B - Grant at (high) CHF

Most Important KPI: Tackles and pressure in back half. Have to maintain the rage.

My key/historical stat: Luke Hodge loves playing the dogs. He averages over 24 touches a game (3rd highest against all teams) and has kicked 18.9 against us. Which is his highest tally for all opposition, over 1 goal a game. We can't allow him to rack up 24+ touches and have a couple of shots himself.

My Strategy: the same as last week. We need to run, carry and back ourselves in. Slow movement against the Hawks strangle opposition teams, but our blend of run and team defence is a good as strategy than any.

My verdict: Dogs by 18 points

F'scary
15-04-2015, 01:52 PM
I like your policy of specifying a Plan B.

I don't think we can afford to have players in the side as decoys, so I'm not enthused by the prospect of Ayce getting a second game at CHF if he is going to be there just to, in theory, drag a good defender away from the action and I doubt he'll be able to effect that anyway. The result might just be a free defender for Hawthorn and an early subbing for the second week in a row for Cordy. Too risky.

Having watched the replay 1.something times, I have warmed to the role that Grant played. He positioned himself outside at the back of the stoppages everytime and then patrolled the corridor to reduce the potential for the sort of run that the Eagles enjoyed in round 1. I could envisage that as he develops in this role (lining up as a wingman at the centre bounce), his disposals count per game will increase over time. I would be loathe, therefore, to keep experimenting with him even though role flexibility appears to be a mantra under Beveridge.

I am for reintroducing Redpath to CHF this week, I think it was premature to drop him after round 1. But, if we are going to have a Clayton's CHF because Redpath, Campbell and Cordy need to work on their games in the VFL and Hamling is viewed specifically as a defender, Crameri might be the option and he has played the last two weeks as if he is a bit light on for responsibility at the moment, in my opinion - he might need the challenge.

Bulldog4life
15-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Last round we coaches got the match ups, plan b's and tactics right. I predicted an 18 point win, so we might be onto something.

I thought I'd try something a little different if it's OK with the mods. The great thing about WOOF was the weekly preview threads, but as life get's busier it's harder to keep it going for a full season it would seem. So I'm thinking that we could start this thread every Wednesday to have a good mid week discussion (leading into game day) after injury and training reports are in from both clubs and ask that participants in the thread try to bring an interest key stat, historical stat, opinion and thoughts about the specific game. If we all add a little bit on value and info, we might get some cracking threads and learn some new things. As for Wednesday, I like Wednesday because there's nothing good on TV and you haven't had your social sports team practice so you're not too tired.

So armchair coaches, it's business time. Lets set up the win:

So after some thought this week, VFL reports, review of the game and injury reports. Looking at the opposition match ups too, do we offer any change to the side. Has your mind changed since posting immediately after the last round? -

My Changes: Hrovat is far too good to have playing VFL. So Hrovat for Goodes. Hamling might be an in for structural reasons (Roughy, Gunston, Ceglar, Hale & McEvoy)

My key match up & why: Boyd on Lake. probably the hardest opponent he has had. Gibson will zone off, so something has to be different for Boyd this week in terms of positioning and running patterns etc. But a contest is a good start:

My Plan A & Plan B across the lines:
(Defence) A - Roughy on Roughy - B- Talia on Roughy
(Midfield) A - Honeychurch on Hodge - B - Wood on Hodge
(Forward) A - Cordy at CHF (decoy) - B - Grant at (high) CHF

Most Important KPI: Tackles and pressure in back half. Have to maintain the rage.

My key/historical stat: Luke Hodge loves playing the dogs. He averages over 24 touches a game (3rd highest against all teams) and has kicked 18.9 against us. Which is his highest tally for all opposition, over 1 goal a game. We can't allow him to rack up 24+ touches and have a couple of shots himself.

My Strategy: the same as last week. We need to run, carry and back ourselves in. Slow movement against the Hawks strangle opposition teams, but our blend of run and team defence is a good as strategy than any.

My verdict: Dogs by 18 points

What I read about Essendon last week they played the opposite to us. Short kicks and marks over and over again.

Happy Days
15-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I admire the optimism BT, but I think we are going to get trucked this week.

Our game plan so far has been to pressure, force over possession, tackle, and create mistakes which lead to scores. Hawthorn don't make mistakes. Their kicking is far too good and they won't cough it up like Richmond and West Coast did. If they get the quick ball movement that teams have gotten so far once they break our press with the regularity I think they will, then they will kick many, many goals. We could be better than I'm giving us credit for and really challenge. But I just cant't see us winning the way we have won the last two weeks.

BUT if we do win the way we have the last two weeks...

BTW anyone else heard that Bont the God struggled at training today with a quad/leg? If he doesn't play we are *so* stuffed.

bornadog
15-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks BT for the write up. This game will really test our young team against the benchmarks of the competition.

The great thing is the young guys are just going out there full of confidence that they can achieve anything and each week as they win more games their confidence grows.

With Gibson and Mitchell coming in, they will be a better team than last week. No doubt Wallis has not forgotten the blatant punch in the face from the sniper Mitchell some years ago, when Wallis was tagging him. I certainly haven't forgotten as it happened behind the play right in front of me.

We will give this a real shake, but my expectation is a loss by a few goals. If we win, then I will be so happy. (as we all will be)

Twodogs
15-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Great write up BT. Really enjoyed it.

Wouldn't Hodge be a bit big for Honeychurch?

bornadog
15-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Great write up BT. Really enjoyed it.

Wouldn't Hodge be a bit big for Honeychurch?

Everyone is a bit big for Honeychurch :D

Bulldog Joe
15-04-2015, 06:09 PM
Despite Hawthorn being elite ball users, I think we still need to play our game.

If we can maintain pressure, their efficiency will suffer and that is the way we are set up to play.

Great challenge for Bevo and the team, but a good showing would really bring some confidence to the group.

Axe Man
15-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Hamling might be an in for structural reasons (Roughy, Gunston, Ceglar, Hale & McEvoy)

Hale hasn't played yet this season and I don't think they ever play all 3 of McEvoy, Ceglar and Hale at once anyway.

Was interesting to read that the bombers identified the fact that Hawthorn players drop off their opponents in an attempt to read the longer kicks and pick them off. Essendon therefore honoured their teammates leads with short kicking. I'm not sure if we have the foot skills to play that patient short kicking game, however it will be vitally important when attacking to lower the eyes and hit up short targets if they are on. If we continually bomb long to Boyd or whoever else is there then Lake and Gibson will have a field day.

Happy Days
15-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Hale hasn't played yet this season and I don't think they ever play all 3 of McEvoy, Ceglar and Hale at once anyway.

Was interesting to read that the bombers identified the fact that Hawthorn players drop off their opponents in an attempt to read the longer kicks and pick them off. Essendon therefore honoured their teammates leads with short kicking. I'm not sure if we have the foot skills to play that patient short kicking game, however it will be vitally important when attacking to lower the eyes and hit up short targets if they are on. If we continually bomb long to Boyd or whoever else is there then Lake and Gibson will have a field day.

Like the 08 prelim?

We must have been in another universe to that Geelong team. We smashed them for a half, yet they were in front all day, belted us and never looked like losing.

Twodogs
15-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Like the 08 prelim?

We must have been in another universe to that Geelong team. We smashed them for a half, yet they were in front all day, belted us and never looked like losing.

It was like continually running into a wall then picking yourself up and running into the wall again.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2015, 06:50 PM
I admire the optimism BT, but I think we are going to get trucked this week.

Our game plan so far has been to pressure, force over possession, tackle, and create mistakes which lead to scores. Hawthorn don't make mistakes. Their kicking is far too good and they won't cough it up like Richmond and West Coast did. If they get the quick ball movement that teams have gotten so far once they break our press with the regularity I think they will, then they will kick many, many goals. We could be better than I'm giving us credit for and really challenge. But I just cant't see us winning the way we have won the last two weeks.

BUT if we do win the way we have the last two weeks...

BTW anyone else heard that Bont the God struggled at training today with a quad/leg? If he doesn't play we are *so* stuffed.

Whoops. I meant to make it 4 points. In 2009 we could've won by 3,000 points in Tassie, possibly Tom Williams best game. Just never know?..?

LostDoggy
15-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Gibson is just about Hawthorns most important player. With Lake and Frawly/Shoenmakers taking the big gorillas Gibson reads the play, comes in as 3rd man and kills the contest. He's extremely dangerous with ball in hand also.

Whoever Gibson is minding on Sunday needs to get on their bikes and present, present, present. If big Boydy can atleast get the ball to ground for us our forwards will be dangerous.

dukedog
15-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Gibson, Lake, Frawley. 3 of the best backman of their previous clubs. I understand The importance of players of the game getting the best deals they can in free agency and the likes. But those 3 right there. That would make any backline in the comp elite. Not sold on where footy is headed with free agency. Then again. If they were at the dogs, id be a hypocrite, just sayin.

Remi Moses
16-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Right about F/A ^^
What worries me is the AFL right in our window not allowing top 4 teams to bring F/Agents in.
It would be just typical

Greystache
16-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Gibson is just about Hawthorns most important player. With Lake and Frawly/Shoenmakers taking the big gorillas Gibson reads the play, comes in as 3rd man and kills the contest. He's extremely dangerous with ball in hand also.

Whoever Gibson is minding on Sunday needs to get on their bikes and present, present, present. If big Boydy can atleast get the ball to ground for us our forwards will be dangerous.

It's the reason why I want us to play Redpath. If Lake takes Boyd, Shoenmakers (assuming that's who replaces Frawley) takes Redpath, that means Gibson has to take one of Crameri and Stringer. He'd want to be vary careful about zoning off either of those two to be third man up, they could make a mess of him in a hurry.

Jeanette54
16-04-2015, 11:29 AM
It's the reason why I want us to play Redpath. If Lake takes Boyd, Shoenmakers (assuming that's who replaces Frawley) takes Redpath, that means Gibson has to take one of Crameri and Stringer. He'd want to be vary careful about zoning off either of those two to be third man up, they could make a mess of him in a hurry.

I'll bet that Shoenmakers still has nightmares, courtesy of Redpath and the VFL Grand Final. And I think that Redpath was very unlucky to be dropped after the first week. He proved then he can repeatedly get to the right positions, and only needs the confidence to hold his marks. Plus we know he is a pretty reliable set shot on goal.

Hopefully Jake Stringer isn't suffering too badly from leather poisoning, following extensive set shot practice at training this week.

1eyedog
16-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Yep that's what I'm thinking. Gibson on Stringer would be good for us. As you say it will either force Gibson to play respectfully which would limit their ability to kill contests and set up, unless of course they don't mind Stringer having 5 by half time.

Cyberdoggie
16-04-2015, 02:47 PM
After two slightly below par games for Crameri I would expect to see him play more to his potential from this week on.
Stringer and Crameri really need to tear it up this weekend.

Last year we could barely get the ball in our forward line in the Tassie game. 6 goals to Roughead, 3 to Gunston, 2 to Lewis.
They picked apart our game plan with ease and smashed us. Very different this time around and we are going to have to have a huge lift in the middle of the park to match it with the Hawks and to give our quality forwards a chance.

BulldogBelle
16-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Right about F/A ^^
What worries me is the AFL right in our window not allowing top 4 teams to bring F/Agents in.
It would be just typical

l would prefer not allowing free agency to teams that have won or made the Grand Final in the last 4 years.
A lot of teams make the top 4 but go no further, just can't think of one........

Twodogs
16-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Right about F/A ^^
It would be just typical

It's exactly what is going to happen.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 09:55 PM
It's exactly what is going to happen.

It would be a lot easier to get the AFL Commission to simply rip up any premiership we ever win.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Please read the thread real coaches. Hodge has 18 touches and 1 goal already. We needed to stop him...