PDA

View Full Version : The next 5 rounds - footy Stalingrad - can we win?

Dry Rot
16-04-2015, 12:48 AM
In the next 5 rounds we play Hawks (Tassie), Crowbots, Swans (SCG), Saints and Freo.

Aside from the Saints, we are entering a footy Stalingrad, playing the likely 4 top teams, 2 away from home.

Can we win? What are your expectations with Bev's flash new team?

Any of you travelling to the SCG?

1eyedog
16-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Who is our Zhukov?
The Bont!

BulldogBelle
16-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Who is our Zhukov?
The Bont!

The General, The Bont!

BulldogBelle
16-04-2015, 01:04 AM
If we win any more than 1 of those 4 games l will be one happy camper.

Bulldog Joe
16-04-2015, 01:23 AM
Interesting start to the season.

Pre-season I felt that the Hawthorn and Sydney games were the 2 we could not win.

I was expecting Freo to struggle a little with the aging of McPharlin and Pav, but they are looking impressive and Fyfe has started sensationally.

If we only win the Saints game we will still be going better than most experts predicted. Just one other win would really have us ready to challenge for a finals spot, as we do get the toughest opposition out of the way.

We then get Melbourne and GWS in the next 2 rounds so can be 5 and 4 after 9 even if we lose to the other 4.

If we can manage 3 wins from the next 5 we would be on track for finals.

LostDoggy
18-04-2015, 08:14 PM
It's too difficult to predict the season based on two wins. We might indeed beat one of those 4. We'd be just as likely to drop a game against the Blues or GWS. We have a young team — they're going to take a scalp one week, get flogged by the spooners the next.

jeemak
18-04-2015, 08:19 PM
It's too difficult to predict the season based on two wins. We might indeed beat one of those 4. We'd be just as likely to drop a game against the Blues or GWS. We have a young team — they're going to take a scalp one week, get flogged by the spooners the next.

If we've learned anything from the last few years, and the last time we've gone through a build nobody can argue with the above.

It's not hard to see us getting beaten and battered against mature sides in the next three weeks with the style of game we're playing, leaving us with a few out and ripe for being picked off against the Saints.

F'scary
18-04-2015, 09:04 PM
If we can maintain the mindset Bevo established in the first two games, we can win all of them.

Eastdog
18-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Will be a tough few week but if we can get a win or two there I reckon we are doing alright. Our defence will be really tested tomorrow but I'm hoping for a strong effort from our guys against a very strong team. I hope Bonts will play.

jeemak
18-04-2015, 09:42 PM
If we can maintain the mindset Bevo established in the first two games, we can win all of them.

I think talent comes into it at some stage.

We don't have it across the board yet, we're young and we're not as fit as the mature teams.

Beveridge is enjoying a bit of a honeymoon period at present, good on him, he and the team deserve to do so because the start of the season has been great.

But I'll maintain that what we've seen from the side to date this year is probably on par or maybe just a little better than what we saw from them at their best under McCartney. There's still a very long way to go towards gaining consistent performances from this team.

We've also played some seriously ordinarily performed football sides in our first two rounds, and that needs to be taken into account.

Win, lose or draw, the first 7-10 rounds are the worst time of all to judge a team's prospects.

Eastdog
18-04-2015, 09:43 PM
While I think we have got the recruiting right this time I hope development is just important. J Grant being picked high in the draft must've have been developed right or is it more he doesn't have it.

Maddog37
19-04-2015, 11:14 AM
I think talent comes into it at some stage.

We don't have it across the board yet, we're young and we're not as fit as the mature teams.

Beveridge is enjoying a bit of a honeymoon period at present, good on him, he and the team deserve to do so because the start of the season has been great.

But I'll maintain that what we've seen from the side to date this year is probably on par or maybe just a little better than what we saw from them at their best under McCartney. There's still a very long way to go towards gaining consistent performances from this team.

We've also played some seriously ordinarily performed football sides in our first two rounds, and that needs to be taken into account.

Win, lose or draw, the first 7-10 rounds are the worst time of all to judge a team's prospects.

Were they made to look ordinary by us? Both have had thumping wins since.......

I also suggest that if we had converted our set shots better we would have won both games by substantially more.

I still think we are a bottom four team but the fact we are even considering being competitive with the Hawks is a massive positive for me.

Eastdog
26-04-2015, 11:50 PM
After today of course we can. A lot of it is quality sure but confidence I believe is a huge factor and we have lots of it right now.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2015, 01:53 AM
Were they made to look ordinary by us? Both have had thumping wins since.......

I also suggest that if we had converted our set shots better we would have won both games by substantially more.

I still think we are a bottom four team but the fact we are even considering being competitive with the Hawks is a massive positive for me.

Not me.;)

Ghost Dog
27-04-2015, 09:34 AM
I'll go out on a limb. We are going to play finals this year. If we can learn to pace ourselves. I never would have imagined it. As a young team, we will tire, but we played like a top eight team yesterday.

1eyedog
27-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I'll go out on a limb. We are going to play finals this year. If we can learn to pace ourselves. I never would have imagined it. As a young team, we will tire, but we played like a top eight team yesterday.

We played like a top 4 team yesterday. We will tire but the beauty is that we have got so much depth now we can rotate our kids through the year. Webb coming in and playing beautifully is another resource at our disposal, Biggs can come in and Webb can rest, we know Daniel can play so he'll free up Honeychurch, Hrovat for a rest for a few weeks. Having a fit Clay Smith also helps. Having good depth is the key to player longevity this year, they just have to be managed by using a rotational cycle and / or the sub rule.

F'scary
27-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Well, at this stage we got pantsed by one of the four but we smashed the second one. Sydney will be a different proposition to Adelaide with their tall forward line, so Bevo needs to devise a strategy for that. And Freo has that great defensive set up - another point of difference the match committee has to plan for.

stefoid
27-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Would be nice to get Wally back for Sydney and Freo. We lack a bit of steel in the clinches just now. Hawks beat us up and Thompson had a field day.

Perhaps Clay came back a bit early but will be better for the run - that super-fast game didnt do him many favours.

jazzadogs
27-04-2015, 12:59 PM
We're not a bottom 4 team.

Brisbane, Gold Coast, St Kilda and Carlton are all worse than us. I'd feel confident in games against Geelong, West Coast and Collingwood as well.

Based on the way were playing, I think we're in a group with Essendon, Adelaide, North etc which is below the top four of Hawks, Swans, Freo and Port. 50/50 games like last night are the ones we need to keep winning.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 07:12 PM

We played like a top 4 team yesterday. We will tire but the beauty is that we have got so much depth now we can rotate our kids through the year. Webb coming in and playing beautifully is another resource at our disposal, Biggs can come in and Webb can rest, we know Daniel can play so he'll free up Honeychurch, Hrovat for a rest for a few weeks. Having a fit Clay Smith also helps. Having good depth is the key to player longevity this year, they just have to be managed by using a rotational cycle and / or the sub rule.

I need to see a bigger sample of how we play beyond Etihad before I'm 100% convinced. Yeah we did the Tiges at the G but otherwise it's been a case of being a tough team under the roof. I am REALLY looking forward to this week at the SCG regardless of the result because it's going to tell us so much about where the team is at when it comes to playing a variety of teams in a variety of conditions at a variety of venues — critical pass marks for a top 4 team. We are the only team in the current top 9 who hasn't yet won a game on the road (though of course we're still early days).

We are playing beautiful footy but it's only Round 5.

1eyedog
27-04-2015, 07:15 PM
I need to see a bigger sample of how we play beyond Etihad before I'm 100% convinced. Yeah we did the Tiges at the G but otherwise it's been a case of being a tough team under the roof. I am REALLY looking forward to this week at the SCG regardless of the result because it's going to tell us so much about where the team is at when it comes to playing a variety of teams in a variety of conditions at a variety of venues — critical pass marks for a top 4 team. We are the only team in the current top 9 who hasn't yet won a game on the road (though of course we're still early days).

We are playing beautiful footy but it's only Round 5.

Hang on didn't you lift the lid by saying we were the Port Adelaide of 2015 not 24 hours ago?

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Hang on didn't you lift the lid by saying we were the Port Adelaide of 2015 not 24 hours ago?

Yep, haha. You've got me fair and square.