PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 Mea Culpa

Dry Rot
16-04-2015, 01:50 AM
me·a cul·pa (mā′ə ko͝ol′pə, kŭl′-, mē′ə)
n.
An acknowledgment of a personal error or fault.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mea+culpa

Frankly, after losing Libba and 800 odd games experience players including our captain) and a rookie coach, I thought we were rooted for 2015.

Gladly, it looks like I was wrong. In particular, there were certain players I thought would be crap and/or delisted this year.

Again, so far, I was wrong:

M Boyd - wanted him delisted, shocking disposal and didn't fit into plans. After two close BOGs and a move to the back line, got that wrong.

Grant - never been really impressed, thought he was soft. Wrong again so far.

Talia and Roughead - never thought either was a key defender's arsehole but both have been really good this year so far. Wrong again.

Wallis - never a fan. At best thought he was average with some guts. But this year, with us without Libba, he has been a revelation. Really impressive. Wrong again.

Dickson - thought he would pushed out by some of the young guns like Hunter and Hrovat. Wrong again.

Jong - has guts, but thought not AFL standard. So far impressive. And how was THAT mark not a mark?

What have you got wrong so far?

FrediKanoute
16-04-2015, 08:20 AM
1) surprised by Dickson - really thought he was finished - one trick pony, B-Mac recruit no place in our best 22

2) Jong was one I felt would not be able to carry his VFL form into the AFL - so far he has

3) Honeychurch - really has stepped up. Thought he would be the one to make way for guys like Hrovat anf Hunter - not likely!

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Dickson, really impressed.
Boyd to half back.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 10:30 AM
I thought MBoyd's days were numbered. The club refused to give him any more than a one year contract (right decision).

So far he is doing very well and surprised many.

Mofra
16-04-2015, 11:03 AM
What have you got wrong so far?
I thought after losing Libba we'd go backwards and finish second last. Now I think we'll climb out of the bottom 4 and pleasingly, finish above Carlton.

Still expecting the odd blowout but we're going to learn a lot about our list this year.

dukedog
16-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Its great to see supporters up and about following a couple of wins. The boys have played a good couple of games. But i think a few are getting carried away with expectation after a 'good start'. We could easily lose the next 4 games. What will the response be about the team then? Also. To single individual players out like m. Boyd is harsh. Hes been a club captain and a gun tor years. Agree he is a butcher of a kick tho. Hahahaa. Keep ya panties on lads. Its a long season.

Bulldog Joe
16-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Well I was one to predict finals before round 1 and I don't understand why so many are still not ready to believe.

We have 2 wins and have the following games

St Kilda by 2
Melbourne by 2
Giants
Brisbane by 2
Carlton
Collingwood
Gold Coast

Win those (and I concede we may lose some) and we only require ONE other victory from the rest of the season to play finals.

That is 1 win from
Port Adelaide by 2
Adelaide (Etihad)
West Coast (Perth)
Fremantle (Etihad)
North Melbourne
Essendon
Geelong (Geelong)
Hawthorn (Tas)
Sydney (Sydney)

That means if we lose any of the first group we simply need to win 1 extra from the second group to get to finals.

So winning 2 of the next 5 puts us right in finals mix. Any more and we are nearly sure of it.

always right
16-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I have never rated Dickson beyond him being an efficient kick for goal. Just hasn't got involved enough IMO. He's a different player this year...just seems so much fitter and gets involved so much more offensively and defensively. Not saying I was wrong but I'm much more hopeful about him now than I was previously.

1eyedog
16-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Dickson's pace and his lack of ability to influence games. He was sensational on Saturday exactly when he needed to be. He kicked critical goals and kept scoreboard pressure on the Tigers.

Ayce Cordy. I thought he would really take the bull by the horns on Saturday and make an impact but he didn't. I fear I may be wrong about him and that he simply won't improve.

The Pie Man
16-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Honeychurch - not that I thought he wasn't up to it, just surprised that he made the round 1 side and then went on to be so impressive
Talia - similar to the above...was maybe more *hoping* he'd make it. Feel a lot more confident of that now.

Always thought Dickson could play, and thought Wallis would thrive in Libba's absence, but the one I wish I was wrong about (and TBF he still has time) is Cordy - I hear the shouts that to play him for one game isn't right (and that his preseason was solid etc) but he shouldn't have come in for Redpath and probably shouldn't play for us again unless Minson & Campbell are both injured.

boydogs
16-04-2015, 09:57 PM
but the one I wish I was wrong about (and TBF he still has time) is Cordy - I hear the shouts that to play him for one game isn't right (and that his preseason was solid etc) but he shouldn't have come in for Redpath and probably shouldn't play for us again unless Minson & Campbell are both injured.

Cordy named at CHF this week

The Pie Man
17-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Cordy named at CHF this week

Not trying to sound harsh (I'm really not) but I'm hoping for a Fletcher Roberts late change. Or of course, for big Ayce to prove me horribly wrong.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2015, 01:11 PM
I have never rated Dickson beyond him being an efficient kick for goal. Just hasn't got involved enough IMO. He's a different player this year...just seems so much fitter and gets involved so much more offensively and defensively. Not saying I was wrong but I'm much more hopeful about him now than I was previously.

Also it is the first uninterrupted pre season he has had too.

stefoid
17-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Honeychurch's game versus the tiges was good. I didnt expect him to hold a spot with Daniel and Hrovat waiting in the wings, but he may.

LostDoggy
17-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Its great to see supporters up and about following a couple of wins. The boys have played a good couple of games. But i think a few are getting carried away with expectation after a 'good start'. We could easily lose the next 4 games. What will the response be about the team then? Also. To single individual players out like m. Boyd is harsh. Hes been a club captain and a gun tor years. Agree he is a butcher of a kick tho. Hahahaa. Keep ya panties on lads. Its a long season.

It's a forum. Many of us blokes will be here when the inevitable shellacking does come. So we're just going to lap it up a bit while the lapping is good.

I got a few things wrong (based on evidence so far) and that MIGHT include Grant, though I'm certainly not 100% convinced yet (sorry BT!). I thought Richmond were going to flog the crap out of us. I thought Kennedy might too, glad he waited a week to kick 10.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 08:47 PM
I've got my list.

Didn't think M. Boyd would have a good year. Perhaps I was wrong...
Wasn't convinced on Dickson being a consistent contributor. Duh.
Didn't think Redpath could kick 4 in a game. He did it in a quarter.
Hunter. I had him traded three weeks ago. I might keep him now.
Dalrymple. All the picks on smalls, including the smallest player in the league. Alright, a tick for him now.

I hope to extend my list by years end.

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 09:41 AM
I'll finally cop to it BT. I was wrong on Grant.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2015, 09:59 AM
I'll finally cop to it BT. I was wrong on Grant.

Best. Post. Ever. :D

bulldogtragic
03-04-2019, 11:47 PM
I was unenthusiastic about the Duryea trade, despite the cheap price tag. There’s a long season ahead, but some good use and contested marks in the last quarter. So credit to him, I wanted to be shown his value when we have a bunch of flankers, but he’s earning his wage and proving the merit of the trade. Happy to say keep it up in an early mea culpa.

Mofra
04-04-2019, 10:51 AM
I was unenthusiastic about the Duryea trade, despite the cheap price tag. There’s a long season ahead, but some good use and contested marks in the last quarter. So credit to him, I wanted to be shown his value when we have a bunch of flankers, but he’s earning his wage and proving the merit of the trade. Happy to say keep it up in an early mea culpa.
I'm pretty happy with a number of our cheepie pick ups in recent years - Crozier, Lloyd & Duryea the obvious three, Gowers almost counts as ex-Carlton.

I'm the opposite way on Trengove - I thought he'd be easily best 22 during his time with us, clearly didn't bank on a few changes to the side so happy to wear that one.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2019, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty happy with a number of our cheepie pick ups in recent years - Crozier, Lloyd & Duryea the obvious three, Gowers almost counts as ex-Carlton.

I'm the opposite way on Trengove - I thought he'd be easily best 22 during his time with us, clearly didn't bank on a few changes to the side so happy to wear that one.

Depending on definition, Schache was cheap (25 & 40) and I'd prefer we honoured the Cloke contract (pick 66 or so). Suckling as a free agent has been a good one.

So for all our trading from 2015, non-superstar trading, we've been doing pretty well. Trengove has under performed as you say, but has time still. Cloke seems to fail, but who knows what would've happened if we honoured hid second year and not force him out to keep Honeychurch.

I wouldn't mind adding Tomlinson to the above list as a free agent. With the 'Wingard Money' who knows what we will do at year's end.

bornadog
04-04-2019, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't mind adding Tomlinson to the above list as a free agent. With the 'Wingard Money' who knows what we will do at year's end.

If Libba continues in his current form, the Wingard money will be going to him.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2019, 11:20 AM
If Libba continues in his current form, the Wingard money will be going to him.

He's going to get $1,250,000 a year? :D

Then there's going to be big savings from some bigger names out too. I fully trust that Sam Power understood the salary cap and future requirements when he offered up $900,000+ for 5 years last year so that he could get Wingard and re-sign everyone else this year and next. I've heard from time to time on here that we need to use the 'Hurley Money' ($900,000+ for 5 years) on all the kids for several years. Then it turns out, JMac & Power secured all the kids and our stars and still had all the 'Hurley Money' to last year. Now 'Wingard Money' ($900,000+ for 5 years) which was nearly spent last year knowing we'd have good players to sign. Retirement money will help cover re-signings, as well as the salary cap increases. If one accepts that Power made a reasonable decision with the club's blessing, then I think it's safe to say there is still the Hurley/Wingard Money if Power and the club want to use some or all of it. But we'll see come October.

Mofra
04-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Plot twist - we sign Rory Thompson as a FA on 'decent' coin, and use the rest on a 3 year deal for Libba and a 5 year deal for Naughts.

Thomson gets back to his best mid 2020 after fully recovering from his ACL and becomes another shrewd signing.

Bulldog4life
04-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Plot twist - we sign Rory Thompson as a FA on 'decent' coin, and use the rest on a 3 year deal for Libba and a 5 year deal for Naughts.

Thomson gets back to his best mid 2020 after fully recovering from his ACL and becomes another shrewd signing.

Yes a long term contract for both Naughty and Timmy English would be nice.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2019, 11:52 AM

That's a type on scenario I think. I hedged in my early list management thread, we could target an A grader (like Hurley or Wingard) or look at a needs based player or two and leave the balance in the cap. If it meant Naughton stayed on long term, then maybe it's the need type. I love Libba, but not sure he gets huge money for three years after two ACLs. But I understand the general point. That's why I love the list management side of the industry.

MrMahatma
04-04-2019, 10:50 PM
That's a type on scenario I think. I hedged in my early list management thread, we could target an A grader (like Hurley or Wingard) or look at a needs based player or two and leave the balance in the cap. If it meant Naughton stayed on long term, then maybe it's the need type. I love Libba, but not sure he gets huge money for three years after two ACLs. But I understand the general point. That's why I love the list management side of the industry.

Based on how much better Libba makes our team, pay him all of the money. Deserves it.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2021, 09:10 PM

I need to double down on the mea culpa. Averaging nearly 20 disposals (above average comp), 8 marks (1.4 intercept marks - above average comp), 2 tackles & 3 rebound 50’s (plus 267 metres gained) - including playing against three 2020 finals sides. To be getting this service three years after a ultra low cost trade is credit to him and the club.

bornadog
17-04-2021, 09:18 PM
I need to double down on the mea culpa. Averaging nearly 20 disposals (above average comp), 8 marks (1.4 intercept marks - above average comp), 2 tackles & 3 rebound 50’s (plus 267 metres gained) - including playing against three 2020 finals sides. To be getting this service three years after a ultra low cost trade is credit to him and the club.

Doc is a very important part of our backline

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 11:30 PM

Providing to be a quicker Matty Boyd. Hard body and in the contest. Good user. Good hands. Maturity and heaps of finals experience. That last effort was insane.

Future Fourth Rounder the cost.