PDA

View Full Version : Easton Wood signed and sealed

SlimPickens
16-04-2015, 08:39 AM
More great news to wake up to. Easton becoming a very important part of
our back 6.

Wood was set to become a restricted free agent at season’s end, but instead agreed to a new three-year deal to stay at the Kennel.

Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney said the re-signing was a significant one for the Club.

“Easton is a valued part of our defensive group so we are delighted to have him recommit to the Club.

“He has enjoyed some consistent form over the past 12 months and we look forward to that continuing, and him taking his game to the next level.”

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-04-16/wood-shuns-free-agency

Go_Dogs
16-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Great result.

I posted in another thread recently we needed to get him locked in, sure enough, about a week later we have. The Club is kicking goals everywhere at the moment - another great signing and indication the group has belief in where we are heading.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2015, 09:30 AM
That's great news. A part from ourselves the message to other AFL players is we are now a place where people want to be. Also to members, these guys are committing their footy dreams to us as a group of fans. Literally, the very least we can do is join as members in recognition of their commitment to us.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Great news, very happy to keep him.

G-Mo77
16-04-2015, 09:45 AM
I honestly thought he'd test the waters so it's great to see him sign on.

Mantis
16-04-2015, 10:13 AM
I honestly thought he'd test the waters so it's great to see him sign on.

As did I, but we have been very patient with him so I'm glad he has decided to repay the club.

I think he has been great this year, both defensively & offensively.. A sign of good things to come I hope.

LostDoggy
16-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Yes! Stoked.

I heard he was gunna be on SEN this morning, my immediate thought was, geez...he's still not signed on and he's a free agent. Bloody happy to hear he's put pen to paper.

KT31
16-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Great news, ecstatic the kids are putting faith in us and our future.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Great news, ecstatic the kids are putting faith in us and our future.

Wood just turned 26. Same age as Grant and played the same number of games.

josie
16-04-2015, 10:48 AM
I had little doubt Easton would sign on soon when I saw his passionate goal celebration against the Tigers !! Great news, well done Dogs.

Mofra
16-04-2015, 11:01 AM
5 signed in 3 weeks. Very positive signs.

whythelongface
16-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Fantastic news. The news for our club continues on a positive trajectory.

Greystache
16-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Good news. Wallis and Talia would be next you'd think.

always right
16-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Interesting his reasons for initially only signing a one year deal. I assumed he was keeping his options open but he explained that it was a mutual decision to see how his body holds up.

I don't buy it. If that was the concern why sign him up for three years just two rounds into the season. Whatever the reason, I'm rapt he has committed to us as I think he is a valuable player who still has plenty of upside.....and it reinforces all the positive messages about our club in recent weeks.

Did October 2014 actually happen?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Great news. He is becoming a consistent performer, an important cog in our back six.

What a turn around since October - hard to believe, really.

Cyberdoggie
16-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Great news, have always thought very highly of him and it's great to have him committed to the club.

KT31
16-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Wood just turned 26. Same age as Grant and played the same number of games.

Relatively Murph is a kid to me.:)

Pickenitup
16-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Great News for the Club im stoked with this Woody has been unreal this year and very important for us for the coming years.

bornadog
16-04-2015, 06:02 PM
According to Mark Stevens, Wood has tweaked his hammy.

boydogs
16-04-2015, 10:03 PM
This will look a bit convenient now he has done his hammy but 3 years strikes me as too long. Last year was his best yet he finished outside the top 15 in our B&F, of course you hope he can go from strength to strength but it doesn't always work that way

Cyberdoggie
16-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Is that the worst timed injury you have ever seen?
Signs a contract, talks about how his hamstring injuries are behind him etc, same day tweaks a hammy!

SonofScray
16-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Is that the worst timed injury you have ever seen?
Signs a contract, talks about how his hamstring injuries are behind him etc, same day tweaks a hammy!

Brutal. Absolutely brutal.

Go_Dogs
17-04-2015, 08:40 AM
This will look a bit convenient now he has done his hammy but 3 years strikes me as too long. Last year was his best yet he finished outside the top 15 in our B&F, of course you hope he can go from strength to strength but it doesn't always work that way

Interesting point.

I would say most WOOFers had him a bit higher than he finished in our B&F. He's also one of our defenders who will play post-2016, meaning his experience is crucial as we transition to a future without Murphy, Morris and Boyd.

Maddog37
17-04-2015, 02:15 PM

To my eye he looks a good player and solid citizen. More than happy to give him 3. His hamstrings might disagree with me though.....

boydogs
17-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Interesting point.

I would say most WOOFers had him a bit higher than he finished in our B&F. He's also one of our defenders who will play post-2016, meaning his experience is crucial as we transition to a future without Murphy, Morris and Boyd.

Just from my observations he was better than the B&F finish, but when you take that plus the 1 on 1 defender stats where he was worst in the AFL it creates a bit of doubt for me as to whether I was paying attention :)

At this stage I would want to keep him, but not averse to making him play another good season before giving him another contract

To my eye he looks a good player and solid citizen. More than happy to give him 3. His hamstrings might disagree with me though.....

His hamstrings are a huge worry, but I think he had enough of a clean run to suggest he was over his hamstring issues. I don't mark us down for that, just the 3 year deal after 1 good season

jeemak
17-04-2015, 03:12 PM
boydogs makes some good points and I'd have thought two was more appropriate.

I think Easton through his manager would have made it abundantly clear that if not given three years he will be forced to exercise his free agency rights and pursue other offers, likely to be on the table already.

We can't afford to be paying overs to solid footballers and citizens in the coming few years, so locking him away is probably limits our exposure as much as possible.

ledge
17-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Apparently it's only a 1 week hammy

w3design
17-04-2015, 08:23 PM

Is there any such thing?

w3design
17-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Hope I'm wrong, but hammys are usually longer than that aren't they? Even a twinge without a tear would suggest a couple of weeks rest given his history.

G-Mo77
17-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Is there any such thing?

If it's just tightness then yeah the rest is usually precautionary. With his history maybe 2 would be better.

lemmon
02-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Potential captain? Does he stand up in the big moments or what?!

BornInDroopSt'54
02-05-2015, 10:23 PM
You are truly Western, Easton.

ledge
03-05-2015, 02:40 AM
We signed him up at the right time unlike our Ward hold off a few years ago.

ratsmac
03-05-2015, 03:11 AM
Talk about an unsung hero! He would have to be the most underestimated player going around right now! It's the little things that set him apart right now.

boydogs
03-05-2015, 02:05 PM

Can we make it 6 years? :D

Twodogs
03-05-2015, 03:59 PM
We signed him up at the right time unlike our Ward hold off a few years ago.

Funny you mention Callan Ward because if Callan had signed with us then the talk was GWS were going to make a huge offer to Easton.

Anyway has anyone said Easton-down and Bound?

hujsh
03-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Funny you mention Callan Ward because if Callan had signed with us then the talk was GWS were going to make a huge offer to Easton.

Anyway has anyone said Easton-down and Bound?
Would huge offer be huge relative to what he was worth or just plain stupid?

Also wouldn't it be Easton-bound and down?

Bulldog Joe
04-05-2015, 08:41 AM

The Easton Bound was responsible for that last goal against Sydney....and what a bound it was.

Sedat
04-05-2015, 11:10 AM
The sign of a good coach/man manager is to be able to extract improvement in performance and increased consistency in performance from players already on the list. Easton Wood has shown both in leaps and bounds this season compared to his last few years.

Twodogs
04-05-2015, 12:44 PM

I don't know what the exact figure was but I think it was leaning toward plain stupid. I don't think we would have had had both Easton and Callan on our list anyway.

Indeed it Wood.

The Easton Bound was responsible for that last goal against Sydney....and what a bound it was.

We were bound to win.;)

bornadog
04-05-2015, 12:46 PM
The sign of a good coach/man manager is to be able to extract improvement in performance and increased consistency in performance from players already on the list. Easton Wood has shown both in leaps and bounds this season compared to his last few years.

I thought he was pretty good last year, but has improved even more this year.

always right
04-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Don't know about others but I feel very confident when Wood is near the ball. Haven't always been able to say that. Reckon he makes pretty good decisions and has an amazing capacity to get to important contests.

Axe Man
13-05-2015, 05:18 PM
It's a real credit to Easton's form this year that he has made the rolling AFL player ratings team of the year after round 6 (whatever that means):

http://s3.postimg.org/t3iawkkqr/Rolling_AFL_Team_of_the_Year.png (http://postimage.org/)

Link (https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/status/597655630049124352/photo/1)

comrade
13-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Fair to say, Easton's form after signing his latest deal suggests whatever he's getting paid, we got a bargain.

Wonder if he has a bonus clause in his contract for an AA selection?

Greystache
13-05-2015, 06:06 PM
Fair to say, Easton's form after signing his latest deal suggests whatever he's getting paid, we got a bargain.

The reverse Travis Cloke? :D

comrade
13-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Or to a lesser extent, the reverse Jarrad Grant......

Waits for BT to swoop in :D

bornadog
13-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Good to see Bonti and Dahl in there as well.

stefoid
13-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Picken, Wood and Mboyd have been reinvented this year.

azabob
13-05-2015, 08:17 PM

Reverse Bryce Gibbs.

1eyedog
13-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Not that it matters but Gunston starting at FF with Kennedy on the bench is a bit of a shocker.

LostDoggy
13-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Tom Bell from Carlton on a wing?
You're haven a laugh! ;)

SlimPickens
13-05-2015, 09:13 PM
It's a real credit to Easton's form this year that he has made the rolling AFL player ratings team of the year after round 6 (whatever that means):

http://s3.postimg.org/t3iawkkqr/Rolling_AFL_Team_of_the_Year.png (http://postimage.org/)

No expense spared on the graphics!

Ozza
14-05-2015, 12:56 PM
You're haven a laugh! ;)

Looks to be purely on ratings - rather than someone's opinion - unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly.

This might explain Bell getting into the team, and Gunston rather than Kennedy as FF.

azabob
14-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Shoot me, but I'm surprised Bont is still in it.

bornadog
14-05-2015, 05:31 PM
http://www.konkanworld.com/uploaded/image/01-2015/27-01-2015/Shooting_gun.gif

Scorlibo
14-05-2015, 06:34 PM

Good to see a few players getting worthy recognition there - Dahlhaus, Tom Bell, Tom McDonald. Thanks AM.

Axe Man
14-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Looks to be purely on ratings - rather than someone's opinion - unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly.

This might explain Bell getting into the team, and Gunston rather than Kennedy as FF.

That's how I understand it as well.

I'm not exactly sure how the ratings system works and I'm sure it's far from perfect, but at least it's an unbiased side rated purely on performance as opposed to the All Australian side that's often picked according to the selectors favourites, pre-conceived opinions, past years form, etc.

Happy Days
15-05-2015, 01:32 AM
You're haven a laugh! ;)

You obviously haven't been watching much Carlton; good call, but Bell has been starring. They're calling him "mini Kouta".

jeemak
15-05-2015, 02:10 AM

Agreed. I think his Sydney game has taken him a long way.

jeemak
15-05-2015, 02:11 AM
That's how I understand it as well.

I'm not exactly sure how the ratings system works and I'm sure it's far from perfect, but at least it's an unbiased side rated purely on performance as opposed to the All Australian side that's often picked according to the selectors favourites, pre-conceived opinions, past years form, etc.

Gerome Harrison is across it from an All Australian perspective. He never messes up.