PDA

View Full Version : From the Past - Hawks

bornadog
17-04-2015, 03:57 PM
The Hawks are one team we have a good record against, although they have gotten on top of us over the past 5 years.

Total Played 156, Won 75, drawn 2 and lost 79.

The last time we beat them was round 3, 2010. Round 14, 2010 was close with a 3 point difference.

Round 14, 2009 was a beauty with the half time score 13.10 to the Hawks 0.4. That was the year following on from the premiership.

What are your great memories of beating the Hawks.

Twodogs
17-04-2015, 04:35 PM
The Hawks are one team we have a good record against, although they have gotten on top of us over the past 5 years.

Total Played 156, Won 75, drawn 2 and lost 79.

The last time we beat them was round 3, 2010. Round 14, 2010 was close with a 3 point difference.

Round 14, 2009 was a beauty with the half time score 13.10 to the Hawks 0.4. That was the year following on from the premiership.

What are your great memories of beating the Hawks.

1982. Neil Bristow kicking the winner in almost his first game.

1983. Beat them comfortably at Princes Park early in the season to lock in a good run of form we were having with good wins against top teams from the year before early in the season for the first time in many seasons. We had won against the top 3 teams from the year before by round 5.

1985. We beat Hawthorn in driving rain by less than a goal at the Western Oval to make sure of a top 3 finish and the double chance in the finals.

Cyberdoggie
17-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Every 75 of them! (not that I've seen them all). Got a family full of mustard pot barrackers and
it's always nice to knock them off.

jeemak
17-04-2015, 05:17 PM
I remember going to a game as a kid at Waverley in 1990, I was sitting in the AFL members close to the boundary.

Doug kicked it short and it was intercepted by a Hawks player and we were punished for it. I remember Doug coming off the ground screaming at himself "I'm a f...... idiot I am" and punching the wooden fence signage. He went a little bananas.

We ended up winning 91-73, and it is one of my earliest positive coherent footy memories. Here's the stats sheet:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4399

LostDoggy
17-04-2015, 05:39 PM
1985. We beat Hawthorn in driving rain by less than a goal at the Western Oval to make sure of a top 3 finish and the double chance in the finals.

This.
Great call on this one Twodogs.
Remember it being played on my 15th birthday.I was crook as a dog:o laid up in bed with the flu and couldn't go with my dad to the game.
Was glued to the radio all day and was the best birthday present I could have asked for.
Remember watching the replay that night on 7 with Landy and Lou and pretty sure it was The Hawk who kicked thewinning goal.
ABSOLUTLEY AWESOME MEMORY!!!!

bornadog
17-04-2015, 05:41 PM
This.
Great call on this one Twodogs.
Remember it being played on my 15th birthday.I was crook as a dog:o laid up in bed with the flu and couldn't go with my dad to the game.
Was glued to the radio all day and was the best birthday present I could have asked for.
Remember watching the replay that night on 7 with Landy and Lou and pretty sure it was The Hawk who kicked thewinning goal.
ABSOLUTLEY AWESOME MEMORY!!!!

Super McPherson kicked a long long wet and sodden ball for the winner.

Twodogs
17-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Super McPherson kicked a long long wet and sodden ball for the winner.

Yep it was Super alright.

Remi Moses
17-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Not such a great memory of them killing us at Waverley in 82 ( reckon it was 150 pts
Waverley 96 also not a great memory ( dunstall kicked 13)
1987 early year after coming off 3 massive losses beating them at the W/O

Jeanette54
17-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Definite favourite victory over the Hawks was EJ's last game, 2nd May, 1970. Luckily the rain hid the Footscray tears that day, particularly when the magnificent banner, provided by the Hawks cheer squad, was unfurled in front of the Footscray player's race.

I still have the Footy Record from game day, cost ten cents.

boydogs
17-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Round 14 2009 was the best I have ever seen us play

bornadog
17-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Round 14 2009 was the best I have ever seen us play

Yes that was incredible

boydogs
18-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Round 3?

Doesn't ring any bells

bornadog
18-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Doesn't ring any bells
Sorry forget what I said. I was thinking of a different game

SonofScray
18-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Two games that I can recall:

Darren Pritchard kicks a point at the WO and the Hawks tie it up late.

Big brawl at Waverly the result of a pre game wager by Hawks players in the rooms. Danny Southern done for wrestling?

Twodogs
18-04-2015, 11:49 AM

Big brawl at Waverly the result of a pre game wager by Hawks players in the rooms. Danny Southern done for wrestling?

I think that Danny is still the only player to be suspended for wrestling.

Drunken Bum
18-04-2015, 01:37 PM
I think that Danny is still the only player to be suspended for wrestling.

Pretty sure you're right, was absolutely filthy at that, remember him holding 2 hawks off Scotty West is that right? Unbelievable decision to make a player miss finals matches for wrestling. Was Dimma suspended as well or was he injured? Vaguely remember the two of them watching the final from the grandstand

SonofScray
18-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Pretty sure you're right, was absolutely filthy at that, remember him holding 2 hawks off Scotty West is that right? Unbelievable decision to make a player miss finals matches for wrestling. Was Dimma suspended as well or was he injured? Vaguely remember the two of them watching the final from the grandstand

Correct, Dimma was rubbed out as well.

HOSE B ROMERO
18-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Definite favourite victory over the Hawks was EJ's last game, 2nd May, 1970. Luckily the rain hid the Footscray tears that day, particularly when the magnificent banner, provided by the Hawks cheer squad, was unfurled in front of the Footscray player's race.

Nice one Jeanette. i will offer you twenty for the record.

HOSE B ROMERO
18-04-2015, 06:40 PM
1982. Neil Bristow kicking the winner in almost his first game.

1983. Beat them comfortably at Princes Park early in the season to lock in a good run of form we were having with good wins against top teams from the year before early in the season for the first time in many seasons. We had won against the top 3 teams from the year before by round 5.

I didn't get to that game in '83 but i remember it was such an upset that it featured as one of the early stories on that nights news with footage of a rampaging Groenawagen kicking the sealer!

As for '85.. urgh.. all i can think of is the two finals games. That prelim still hurts more than any finals loss.

On a positive note i remember Dunstall being chaired off for what i think was his last game after we had whipped them.

Twodogs
18-04-2015, 07:24 PM
I didn't get to that game in '83 but i remember it was such an upset that it featured as one of the early stories on that nights news with footage of a rampaging Groenawagen kicking the sealer!

The Gronna sealer! IIRC he had ignored Simon Beasley in the square by himself to have a ping from the boundary so he would have wanted to kick it.

bornadog
18-04-2015, 08:11 PM

I was at that game as a wee lad. All I can remember is running on to the ground after the game and I think it was pouring rain.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-04-2015, 08:19 PM

I was at that drawn game. I briefly moved back to Melbourne for about 3 months that year and that was my first game I'd seen live since 1984 or maybe early 85. I remember Pritchard running into the open goal and thinking it was all over , only for him to fluff it. I think we looked home and hosed up until the last few minutes. In the end we were extremely fortunate to hold on for a draw.

Torpedo
18-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Night match April 2010, Harbrow collision with Jordan Lewis. Possibly the most brutal game I've seen.
No sniping just tough, uncompromising footy. They tested us out and we came through with a 3 goal victory.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/game-has-never-been-tougher-20100411-s0t2.html

jeemak
18-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Am I the only Woofer that attended the 1990 game at Waverley?

jeemak
18-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Night match April 2010, Harbrow collision with Jordan Lewis. Possibly the most brutal game I've seen.
No sniping just tough, uncompromising footy. They tested us out and we came through with a 3 goal victory.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/game-has-never-been-tougher-20100411-s0t2.html

Yeah that was a tough hit out. I took a mate and a client to the game, both Hawks supporters and we all walked away from it shaking out heads at the Harbrow and Lewis contest.

bornadog
18-04-2015, 11:53 PM

I was there.

jeemak
19-04-2015, 12:02 AM
I was there.

Was it fun?

bornadog
19-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Was it fun?

When you win its always fun

I can't remember alot of the game. I think I have it on DVD(converted from VHS) I can send you a copy if you wish.

Remi Moses
19-04-2015, 12:25 AM

I was there . Reckon Libba had a blinder, and they moaned the house down with our tactics of blocking Dunstall.
( may have been a few years later)

jeemak
19-04-2015, 12:54 AM
When you win its always fun

I can't remember alot of the game. I think I have it on DVD(converted from VHS) I can send you a copy if you wish.

It's almost midnight, I've had an average day, but it's just gotten ridiculously good.

I'll PM you mate.

Maddog37
19-04-2015, 11:17 AM
It's almost midnight, I've had an average day, but it's just gotten ridiculously good.

I'll PM you mate.

???? Why so good Jeemak?