PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 3

Eastdog
17-04-2015, 08:50 PM
This is the round 3 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Hawthorn is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
19-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Bump

EasternWest
19-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Michael Talia took another step, despite being posterised a couple of times.

Jong is becoming pretty important to us. A guy with a point of difference that can put the hammer down.

Boyd. What a beauty he's gonna be.

I hate to validate Danny Frawley, but he's bang on. If we're gonna bomb to Boyd, don't block his run/drag your man in.

Murphy and Macrae had stinkers.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2015, 04:50 PM
B:

Boyd - Wait for the AFL media to say how good the trade is soon
Dahl - Went all Day
Webb - Nothing brilliant, buts there's something to work with.

A:

Ayce - Sorry mate, there were things against you today... But, it's just not at the level.
Tackling Numbers - Grant was the team high with 6.
Crowding Boyd. Not the plan.

Greystache
19-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Bankers

Boyd- Break out game for the big fella

Jong- Continues to improve.

Talia- Was pretty good all things considered

Anchors

Lack of intensity- Tackling numbers were horrible, pressure on the ball carrier non-existent, and barely won a contested possession all day.

Lack of forward coordination. Players dragging their opponents into Boyd's space, then contesting against him, and then having no one down. Get out of his way and then either crumb the ball or lock it in. We were very poor today.

Experienced players- We lose a couple of our best players at the start and before the game and the guys who've been around long enough to step up and fill the gap just don't. Cordy, Stevens, Grant, Picken, even Goodes.

lemmon
19-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Bankers:
-We've found a key forward and key back for the next decade in Boyd and Talia, all the talk has been about the quality in our young mids so it's nice to see the big boys have their turn.
-Jong was very good and has the physical capabilities to really be a key cog through there, brings what Coons and Griff did with his burst through the pack
-Bevo's message about Webb was spot on. He was ready for AFL footy and it showed, defended well and was one of our more composed on the ball. He's earnt his spot for next week on merit.

Anchors-
-Macrae probably showed all of his worst traits today. Didn't use the footy well, couldn't win the contested footy off hands, looked slow and defended poorly. What he does well he does extremely well in terms of racking up sheer numbers and linking up but does his game have too many flaws to be the real key man through the middle? Potentially.
-We needed some leadership from Murph and Picken today that was missing. Murphy found the ball but it looked as if he left his composure back in Melbourne. Picken was missing in action.
-I thought it was an opportunity for Stringer to put his hand up and win some contested footy through the middle with his big frame, he managed to get hands on the footy but struggled to create separation and was poor with his disposal. I've touted him as a future midfielder, needed to show more today

bornadog
19-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Bankers

* TBoyd - Not only at FF, but not bad further up the ground.
* Jong - Battled hard in the midfield with little support
* Talia - getting better every week.

Anchors

* Cordy - not up to AFL standard, can't go through a game with 2 disposals
* Goodes - again not up to AFL Standard - 5 disposals in the midfield
* Injuries hitting us all at once.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Bankers

Jong's improvement is massive. Skills have certainly improved a lot. It's a credit to him and the coaches.

Boyd's break out game as Grey said. Impressive performance against quality opponents.

Talia's effort. He never stopped trying. Roughead dominated us but it was more to do with no midfield pressure than anything else.

Anchors

Severe lack of intensity.

Deplorable skill level.

The poor performances of players who should be delivering (as Grey said) in Picken, Grant, Cordy, Stevens, Goodes.

AndrewP6
19-04-2015, 05:02 PM
B
Boyd Jnr - Showed why we got him, did well in contests.
Dahl - kept going
Webb - well done for his first game.

Honourable mention to Talia, who I think is doing well.
A
Cordy - not up to the standard. Has to be his last year.
Tackle effort (or lack of). When J Grant leads the stat, its bad.
Macrae - not one of his best games.

Dishonourable mention to Goodes. VFL standard at best.

F'scary
19-04-2015, 05:04 PM
bankers

boyd- break out game for the big fella

jong- continues to improve.

Talia- was pretty good all things considered

anchors

lack of intensity- tackling numbers were horrible, pressure on the ball carrier non-existent, and barely won a contested possession all day.

Lack of forward coordination. Players dragging their opponents into boyd's space, then contesting against him, and then having no one down. Get out of his way and then either crumb the ball or lock it in. We were very poor today.

Experienced players- we lose a couple of our best players at the start and before the game and the guys who've been around long enough to step up and fill the gap just don't. Cordy, stevens, grant, picken, even goodes.

spot on.

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Bankers

T Boyd - had a great game and took some great marks

Jong - like his run and approach once again

Taila - will be good for us down back in future years fingers crossed

Honeychurch special mention - thought he did quite well

Anchors

Our tackling pressure wasn't there

Our injuries to Morris and Wallis who are key players

F'scary
19-04-2015, 05:32 PM
1. Ayce Cordy should be sacked. Waste of a spot on the list.
2. Brett Goodes. Nice story. But then there is the reality.
3. Picken. Lack of composure coupled with low possessions = dropped.

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 05:34 PM
1. Ayce Cordy should be sacked. Waste of a spot on the list.
2. Brett Goodes. Nice story. But then there is the reality.
3. Picken. Lack of composure coupled with low possessions = dropped.

Why did we get Brett Goodes back? Was there something we saw in him.

F'scary
19-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Why did we get Brett Goodes back? Was there something we saw in him.

I can't answer that and I am signing off because I am too upset with some of our so called senior players performance that I am swearing and making it unpleasant for others. Bye bye see you when I am sober and not so upset with this performance. Apologies to the ladies and the children. Keep on supporting the Doggies.

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 06:00 PM
I can't answer that and I am signing off because I am too upset with some of our so called senior players performance that I am swearing and making it unpleasant for others. Bye bye see you when I am sober and not so upset with this performance. Apologies to the ladies and the children. Keep on supporting the Doggies.

No worries F'scary. Some of us react in certain ways after games like today. See you back on woof soon.

Rance Fan
19-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Bankers
Talia - good effort
Jong - offers plenty of run
Boyd - Good forward performance

Anchors
Cordy - need more
Stringer - not great day, hope doesnt get to cocky
Goodes - not so good

Doc26
19-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Bankers:
1. I was having doubts by the end of 2014 but credit to Talia for his progression this season.
2. Honeychurch - his courage to play through with a damaged shoulder, with spirit, when our intensity across the board was wanting.
3. TBoyd's contested pack mark was memorable

Anchors:
1. Match committee for continuing to select at best fringe players when we know what the outcome looks like before the game starts
2. What appeared a general lack of spirit and run when we had to step up when things were going against us
3. Again, Fox Footy commentary team of Hudson, Frawley and supposedly our own Brad Johnson for bringing absolutely no insight to the match or its players but instead to simply barrack and provide painful and repetitive drivel on how brilliant Hodge and friends continue to be. And to think Richmond saw coaching material in Frawley.

Remi Moses
19-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Bankers - Talia ( big improver)
T.Boyd - should shut the media drones up
Jong - thought he battled hard
Anchors - where do you start?
Lack of intensity . We got bullied
Cordy - not up to it
Goodes - not up to it
Stevens - to many mistakes not up to it
Injuries- really going to hurt

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Ok here are a few in between that ill put out there

Were they more Banker or Anchor

Dahlhaus
Dickson
Stringer
Minson
Murphy

Twodogs
19-04-2015, 09:18 PM
T. Boyd. Nice to see the kid kick a few.

D. Talia. Good to see him having a good run. I'm looking forward to it carrying on.

L. Jong. Kept in keeping on.

Anchors

Cordy. Has to try and take marks.

Goodes. Just not up to it.

Injuries.

always right
19-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Anchors:
1. Match committee for continuing to select at best fringe players when we know what the outcome looks like before the game starts.
I'm curious at this statement just three rounds in with a new coach. Doesn't it make sense for everyone to start afresh with no preconceived views about the value of players? Every player selected so far has had an excellent pre season and deserved their chance. Only now can Beveridge start choosing who he wants to persevere with although injuries clearly are a big influence in his decisions.

Jeanette54
19-04-2015, 10:10 PM
I am not sure that I like this thread because the inclusion of "Anchors" is inclined to encourage a fair bit of negative comment.

C'mon guys, we are supposed to be Bulldog supporters. Well I can't see much in the way of support here.

So what, the reigning premier team that so badly bashed up the second best team in the comp in last years Grand Final beat up on an injury riddled team of our kids. And Geelong didn't fare any better against the Hawks in round 1 than Sydney did in that GF.

Give the guys a break, more support and less criticism should be the order of the day. The team has given us a great run so far this year, and they will again. The second quarter comeback with three goals on the trot shows the team have heart, and had the third quarter score line read 5.2 instead of 2.5 then things may have been different.

Part of learning the game is to learn to withstand the sort of pressure and bodyweight that top sides throw at you, and I'll bet that Bevo won't let the lesson be wasted.

I am sure they all feel down hearted with that loss, but what they need now is your support, not condemnation.

One of the Bulldog's enviable traits is his loyalty in adversity, so now's the chance..... Be More Bulldog.

AndrewP6
19-04-2015, 10:32 PM
I am not sure that I like this thread because the inclusion of "Anchors" is inclined to encourage a fair bit of negative comment.

C'mon guys, we are supposed to be Bulldog supporters. Well I can't see much in the way of support here.

The thread is titled "Bankers and Anchors"... both sides of the coin are presented. Win, lose or draw, there is always room for critique.

LostDoggy
19-04-2015, 10:33 PM

So what, the reigning premier team that so badly bashed up the second best team in the comp in last years Grand Final beat up on an injury riddled team of our kids. And Geelong didn't fare any better against the Hawks in round 1 than Sydney did in that GF.

Give the guys a break, more support and less criticism should be the order of the day. The team has given us a great run so far this year, and they will again. The second quarter comeback with three goals on the trot shows the team have heart, and had the third quarter score line read 5.2 instead of 2.5 then things may have been different.

Part of learning the game is to learn to withstand the sort of pressure and bodyweight that top sides throw at you, and I'll bet that Bevo won't let the lesson be wasted.

I am sure they all feel down hearted with that loss, but what they need now is your support, not condemnation.

One of the Bulldog's enviable traits is his loyalty in adversity, so now's the chance..... Be More Bulldog.

It is designed to try and achieve a level assessment. Obviously, after a win there are plenty more bankers than anchors. Vice versa today.

GVGjr
19-04-2015, 10:39 PM

The opening post each weeks contains the following:

"The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism"

To me a constructive critique is more than fine win, lose or draw. While it can get a negative theme after a bad loss, I'd say most try and keep it constructive.

SonofScray
19-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Bankers:
Mitch Honeychurch : tackling is solid, plays with a bit of mongrel and toughed it out today.
Tom Boyd : a little glimpse of the future.
Grant : ran himself ragged.

Anchors:
Goodes : doesn't give us much, I think I would pick a younger prospect. NAB form was good though.
Cordy: felt like we were carrying him today, understand his role but can't see him being a great contributor.
Injuries: denied us the opportunity to measure our best against the best.

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 11:04 PM
The opening post each weeks contains the following:

"The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism"

To me a constructive critique is more than fine win, lose or draw. While it can get a negative theme after a bad loss, I'd say most try and keep it constructive.

Agree. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism as I think its always necessary whether we win, lose or draw. That is the only will get better and might help Bevo if he does read the forums. In saying that its up to Bevo what he does and we as supporters just give our opinions on what he should do.

boydogs
19-04-2015, 11:13 PM

The sack him, I never want to watch him again calls on Cordy & Goodes are unhelpful. Good post Jeanette

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 11:15 PM
The sack him, I never want to watch him again calls on Cordy & Goodes are unhelpful. Good post Jeanette

Whether we agree with them or not is not the issue its the right of the posters on here to have their say and our right to argue what they say if we don't agree.

Ozza
19-04-2015, 11:26 PM
Bankers:

Boyd - marked well, kicked well - hopefully gathers some more confidence from today.
Jong - one of the few who wasn't looking overawed or hesitating that half step watching the ominous opponent. Got stuck in and did his bit to cover the Wallis absence.
Picken- getting canned a bit on here for disposal - but in the absence of Wood, Boyd and then Morris- defended well against the dangerous Rioli and Breust. Difficult to say from tv how he split his time between those two- but think his contribution is regularly undervalued, including today.

Anchors:

Macrae - had a real shocker. Awful by foot.
Stringer- hard for him to get into it early as a forward, but thought once he got into the game as a mid- he was pretty ordinary. I mark him and Macrae hard due to their high talent.
Corey - recognise that he got thrown around a bit due to necessity... But just didn't get within coo-wee of what's required.

GVGjr
19-04-2015, 11:28 PM
The sack him, I never want to watch him again calls on Cordy & Goodes are unhelpful.

Because they are more emotive than constructive.

LostDoggy
20-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Bankers
Thought Stewart Crameri had a better day today.
Liked Tom Boyd's marks and goals.
Also liked Michael Talia's great efforts even though he hardly got a rest all day, like the other talls.
Anchors
Unfortunate injuries.
Some blatant umpiring decisions.
Bad kicking in 1st quarter when we had a tail wind.

LostDoggy
20-04-2015, 12:44 AM
Bankers:

- Tommy Boyd. Fantastic signs. Big contested grabs and the conversions were great. But the most impressive thing for mine was his ability to work up the ground and hit up targets going forward. He ran out the match well also.

- Little Dahl. Tried his little heart out all day. Got smashed a few times. Fought on really well. Great 4 quarter effort.

- Talia. Conceded goals yes, but also saved a truck load. Still some disposal/decision making errors but he was the main reason we were only 5 goals down at HT, not 10!

Anchors:

- Effort, tackling and intensity. Yes we had important players out, but that's no excuse for not showing effort and intensity around the ball. Massive drop from previous weeks and there is no excuse for it. The first quarter effort was just shocking and unfortunately set the tone for the remainder of the match.

- Macrae. With Bont, Boyd, Wallis off injured we really needed you to lead the midfield today. Looked lazy, slow and just had zero impact on the game.

- Ayce Cordy. 2 handballs for the whole match this week to go with his 2 handballs from 3 quarters last week. I'm not sure how that's even possible to have so little impact over 2 weeks.

LostDoggy
20-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Bankers:

Jongy-his run and carry to take the game up to the Dawks.

T-Boyd-that pack mark in the 3rd is one of many hundred we all have to look forward to :D

Talia-flogged his guts out all day.

Anchors:

Injuries-stopped any chance we had of seeing how much we could dish up to the Dawks.

Cordy-needs to decide if he's happy being a good VFL player or wants to be a good AFL player.

Goodes-looked totally out of his depth