PDA

View Full Version : AFL Ground Dimensions and Standard of Play

jeemak
18-04-2015, 11:30 PM
It might seem frivolous to some however, I think the dimensions of AFL grounds need to be looked at to combat congestion and other issues the game has with its appeal.

Whilst the majority of AFL infrastructure is set, I view the purchase and sale of Docklands as an opportunity to have an impact on the attractiveness of the game.

Much of the congestion that is derided by all and sundry occurs at Docklands. It has five tenants that play home games there every other week, with other tenants playing there more than a handful of home games a year. It's a ridiculously overused stadium, albeit one with creature comforts not seen in our competition prior to its construction.

When teams play hard and open football there the ball zings around the field and it's great to watch, but since its opening in 2000 games there have become more and more prone to slow ball movement and numbers filling the forward 70m area of the opposition. The end result is in close chaos and skill errors.

The reason for this is it simply isn't long enough or wide enough. It has extremely shallow pockets and flanks, its only two and a half decent kicks across. It has a great roof though. Essentially sport science, and the fitness of players will advance much faster than the legislators of the game can predict.

So when the AFL buys Docklands for a poultry $1.00 sum, largely subsidised by our club, St Kilda and Nth Melbourne sooner rather than later, would the competition and our club be better served in seeing another larger ground being built, to reflect the fitness of the players and the defensive strategy of the coaches, with Docklands being sold for the benefit of the AFL and hopefully the clubs that paid for it?

My personal view is that without tampering with the rules, playing on a ground the size of the originally built VFL park presents the best chance of football being an open game again. I got this idea after watching us crowd the ball on the MCG, which is a ridiculously large playing field, but seemingly not large enough, and watching the 1990 QF between Collingwood and West Coast.

The MCG is always going to be good enough in terms of size for big crowds and open play at the pointy end.....basically because all of the good sides can kick and work through defencive pressure. But what about the majority of teams and games that can't play on that sized playing field?

So we need to be reasonable and understand that it's going to be a tough ask for the AFL to sell the land at Docklands, and it's going to be even tougher for the AFL to find an area of land that can accommodate a ground that is a good 15-30m longer than the MCG and probably just as wide.

But in my view this is the only way footy will be good to watch again. There's just not enough space anymore.

What does everyone else think. Is jeemak going mad?

bornadog
18-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Jeemak is going mad :D

The only thing is how do you alter the grounds?

Another way to stop the congestion is to have fewer players on the ground?

jeemak
18-04-2015, 11:41 PM
Jeemak is going mad :D

The only thing is how do you alter the grounds?

Another way to stop the congestion is to have fewer players on the ground?

Hey mate, I was referring to just one ground and the majority of Victorian teams. BAD is going mad.

bornadog
18-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Hey mate, I was referring to just one ground and the majority of Victorian teams. BAD is going mad.

The length of Eithad is the same as MCG, but the width is 12 metres shorter. However, the width is about the same as most grounds around Australia. The MCG is the widest ground out of all the grounds.

jeemak
19-04-2015, 12:01 AM
The length of Eithad is the same as MCG, but the width is 12 metres shorter. However, the width is about the same as most grounds around Australia. The MCG is the widest ground out of all the grounds.

Sorry, I thought I also mentioned the depth of the pockets and the flanks. Whilst the length and width measurements are critical, the get out areas in the pockets and flanks have a massive impact on the game. That's why VFL Park was such a challenge for teams.

It might have been easier if I said I preferred almost circles, rather than ovals, but that would have opened me up for other types of criticisms, aside from those I've already been subjected to.

divvydan
19-04-2015, 12:36 AM
VFL park was insane. Was longer the Subi and as wide as the MCG and that's with the boundary being a long way in all around.

jeemak
19-04-2015, 12:48 AM
VFL park was insane. Was longer the Subi and as wide as the MCG and that's with the boundary being a long way in all around.

How do you think it would stack up in terms of eliminating congestion? Football Park in Adelaide was a terrible ground to watch football at from what I've heard, but I can't think of a single game where I thought it was overly congested.

I guess I'm suggesting that the next ground the AFL builds, after they sell Docklands - which I think they will pretty much as soon as they buy it - needs to have dimensions (or playing area) much larger than the current Docklands stadium.

divvydan
19-04-2015, 01:04 AM
How do you think it would stack up in terms of eliminating congestion? Football Park in Adelaide was a terrible ground to watch football at from what I've heard, but I can't think of a single game where I thought it was overly congested.

I guess I'm suggesting that the next ground the AFL builds, after they sell Docklands - which I think they will pretty much as soon as they buy it - needs to have dimensions (or playing area) much larger than the current Docklands stadium.

Well, it would change the way teams set up but I think if you cover the areas 50-60m from the ball carrier, you can force long kicks down the line anyway. The big issue on a ground that size (apart from the fans being unable to see what happens on the other side) is running to dead areas of the ground.

It's true you can't zone as easily on a ground that size but then you don't need do. In general, because of the depth of the flanks and pockets, you could keep your zone narrower and just allow shots at goal from the flanks. If both teams do that, then whilst there's less congestion, the game itself suffers as well.

I personally don't think there's a congestion issue but if there is, then I would also suggest fewer players rather than a larger ground as the solution. Watching games at VFL Park could be pretty miserable if you ended up in one of the pockets.