PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 4

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 10:53 PM
This is the round 4 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Thanks Easty

G-Mo77
26-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Bankers.

Obvious Jake Stringer. He was unstoppable but the red vest finished his night

Liam Picken. He was great today.

Macrae. Went head to head with Adelaide best player in Sloan and carved him apart.

Anchors.

Stringer being subbed. Hope he's fine :(

Finishing in front of goal needs to improve

Umm? Umpires? They'll do :)

Mantis
26-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Bankers:

Murf - set up so many of our forward thrusts and defended grandly.. Brilliant game.

Stringer - 'beast mode'.. Just fix your set shots.

Wood - another terrific game from an improved performer.. Missed him last week.

Anchors:

Cordy - not sure he is the answer on that performance.

Missed opportunities - need to make our efforts count on the scoreboard.

Happy Days
26-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Bankers

Murphy - the Mark Waugh footwork of the AFL. Lithe AF.

Stringer - I think Kyle Hartigan has to retire BY LAW after how stupid he was made to look today

Boyd - I wish this is the Boyd we had the whole time, when did he learn how to kick?

Anchors

Cordy is not a ruckman either - Jacobs has more hitouts to advantage at half time than Ayce had hitouts.

Finishing - we deserved a ton win and didn't get it

Junk time - poor JJ, Betts did not deserve to finish with 4 goals

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Bankers

1. Animal Mother, six goals then subbed!
2. Lukas Webb and Talia can share one, brilliant the both of them.
3. Beating Adelaide. 18 years is still raw enough, they even played it on Fox beforehand.

Honorary mention to Kyle Hartigan, who got smashed but stood fast and took it like a man every time. Respect.

Anchors:
1. Set shots.
2. Fresh air.

Honorary mention to Cordy as he did do more than I'd predicted.

SlimPickens
26-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Banker
Clay Smith- Just awesome to see him out there again. Loved when everyone got around him after he kicked his goal.

Jake Stringer- scary good, I like scary good.

Picken- thought he has been ordinary for the first 3 weeks. Had him in my votes this week, thought he played very well.

Anchor-
Grant- silly 50m penalty to Dangerfield.

Hrovat- greedy shot on goal when Picken over the top was the easy option and would of been a certain goal.

Soft tissue injuries- they annoy me.

Greystache
26-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Bankers

Stringer- Beast mode was brilliant. Needs to work on his set shots, his ball drop is awful.

The men's department- Stood tall. Talia, Wood, and Webb are improving before or eyes.

Picken- Great return after a couple of ordinary ones.

Anchors

Goal kicking was pretty poor.

Twodogs
26-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Bankers

The recruiting and development departments. They just keep rolling out quality footballers week after week.
Bob Murphy. The captaincy seems to have bought a new level to his game
Liam Picken. Best game of the season.

Anchors

Kicking for goal. It would have been nice to win by 100 points.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Bankers

* Stringer - Adelaide just couldn't match up on him.
* Talia - Great Defensive game really shut out Tex
* Bevo - Has brought a great game plan that is also enjoyable to watch.

Anchors

* Stringers set shots - Must have missed at least 8 set shot goals in the last 3 weeks.

boydogs
26-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Grant- silly 50m penalty to Dangerfield

Maybe just pushed him a bit too hard, I thought it was greatly overplayed by Dangerfield though. Pushing a player back over the mark to avoid the quick play on is common and smart, there was one play in round 1 when Crameri didn't do that and it meant West Coast streamed through the middle for a goal

bulldogtragic
26-04-2015, 10:57 PM
B:

Offence
Defence
Team spread

A:

Jakes set shots
Chirps from our 'supporters' about Boyd needing to earn his wage (from about two minutes in the first quarter)
Supporters who will not sign up as members

Greystache
26-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Chirps from our 'supporters' about Boyd needing to earn his wage (from about two minutes in the first quarter)
Supporters who will not sign up as members

I had a dickhead during the second quarter of round 1 saying he was a waste of money when he didn't take a mark. I had to check that he wasn't Gary Lyon or Matthew Lloyd, turned out he was the knob from Marngrook who does nothing but bag the bulldogs (or if it wasn't him it was his identical twin)

bulldogtragic
26-04-2015, 11:20 PM
I had a dickhead during the second quarter of round 1 saying he was a waste of money when he didn't take a mark. I had to check that he wasn't Gary Lyon or Matthew Lloyd, turned out he was the knob from Marngrook who does nothing but bag the bulldogs (or if it wasn't him it was his identical twin)

What footy brains they have... The value of a 7 year trade is the value of the footy after 7 years... But from our own is rubbish.

ratsmac
26-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Bankers

1. Stringer - he was almost unstoppable. Apparently a hamstring can stop him.

2. Webb - this kid looks the real deal. Beautiful left foot too.

3. Bevo - what ever he is telling them, tell them more!

Anchors

1. Missing very gettable goals.

2. Sorry Ayce, but the one position that we didn't win today was the ruck. He needs to be stronger. Jacobs was pushing him aside with little effort.

3. Conceding late goals in quarters. We can't afford this next week against the swans.

SonofScray
26-04-2015, 11:24 PM
B:
Wood - great game in defence, brave and assured.
Jong - another influential game.
Stringer - awesome.

A
Hrovat - caught a few too many times trying to do too much. Needs to keep it a bit more simple.
Goal kicking - could have cashed in and REALLY flogged them.
Me - no Foxtel, no replay.

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 11:41 PM
B

- Bob Murphy. Just brilliant. That 50 metre switch on his left foot into the corridor to a dashing Wood who didn't need to break stride. Perfection.

- Defensive unit collectively. Just fantastic.

- Liam Picken. I thought he was lucky to still be in the side this week. But he was superb tonight.

A

- Coversion

AndrewP6
26-04-2015, 11:43 PM
B:
Talia: He looks more and more assured each game.
Murph: playing like he is 25. His agility, his poise, his creativity are beautiful to watch.
Stringer - Every team needs a guy who wants to, and is capable of tearing it up. Six-Pack is our guy.
A
Cordy - if he plays as no. 1 ruck, he has to do a lot better than that.
Goal kicking - Improve that and look out.
Whoever didn't show today without good reason.

I have to mention the fellow in the Social Club, who asked at the meal counter "Why is that called Gippsland Beef?" ... Genius.

Eastdog
26-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Bankers

Stringer - Had an excellent game. He is full of confidence right now.

Bontempelli - Good return back after missing last week.

Murphy - What a great captain he has been and still doing great stuff.

Anchors

Our goal kicking at times

The crowd but I can understand that as the time slot wasn't great. At least its the only Sun Twilight in Vic for this year.

The bulldog tragician
26-04-2015, 11:46 PM
B:
Hard to go past our captain. He's relishing it. The twinkle toes are back.
Jake. So explosive, so dangerous. Should be leading the Coleman but for those yips.
Liam Picken back in form, Lukas Webb the best second game EVER, Easton Wood's excellent game, Talia thrashing Tex.
The celebration after Clay Smiths goal.
AND 7 of today's team had played less than 20 games!!
( We can't be expected to stick to three bankers can we?)

A:

Goal kicking..much though I loved a 10 goal win, it could have been more awesome still.
I hate those lurid flashing signs.
Not seeing Jake kick double figures. If not for that cramp, what else could he have done tonight?!

The Underdog
26-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Bankers:
Murphy - specifically the 50m left foot pass to Wood in the 2nd quarter was just sublime

Macrae - backed up probably his worst game for the club with a much improved performance

Koby - Hey if I don't do it who will? Effort and intensity was excellent, ball use was spot on apart from one bad kick and competed well in the air.

Anchors:
Ummmm, well, the time slot wasn't great and it was a bit cold, Hrovat and Dickson were bit down and I've got nothing else apart from more....

Bankers:
Liam Picken - strong in the air, used the ball well, one of our best

Stringer - he might be ok at this football thing

The backline's ability to know when to zone or go man or support or break or be awesome is brilliant. So different to last year it's scary

Everything, just everything

Ozza
27-04-2015, 12:03 AM

He sat behind me last year for one game and bagged the players, coach and Peter Gordon relentlessly.
We don't need him as a supporter.

Greystache
27-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Koby - Hey if I don't do it who will? Effort and intensity was excellent, ball use was spot on apart from one bad kick and competed well in the air.

Stevens was excellent tonight, one of his best games for the club. He was one of a number I could've bankered.

Greystache
27-04-2015, 12:06 AM
He sat behind me last year for one game and bagged the players, coach and Peter Gordon relentlessly.
We don't need him as a supporter.

Maybe he and Dan Lonergan can go and support Richmond, they love smashing their own.

The Underdog
27-04-2015, 12:07 AM
Stevens was excellent tonight, one of his best games for the club. He was one of a number I could've bankered.

I was a bit disappointed with his effort around the ball last week as it's really his trademark, but no issue tonight, he had a cracker. And all his handballs seemed to hit team mates in stride and above the waist :cool:

Ozza
27-04-2015, 12:20 AM
Bank:

Lukas Webb - poise and footy smarts well beyond his years. It's possible he could just be a kid who comes in and just stays there.
JJ - loved his daring runs. Uses the corridor and helps us open up the game.
Picken - ferocious and brought in some run and creativity this week. Don't agree with others about his form last week - the small forwards were one area the Hawks didn't hurt us badly, and Picken was one involved in quelling the Breust/Rioli influence.

Anch'

Hard to drop any hard anchors.... Everyone contributed. Just mini nit picking anchors to-

- Grant - thought he was off the boil with some decision making and a silly 50. Nice last quarter goal.
- Dicko - not his usual deadly finishing. Got missed by team mates a couple of times which could have gotten him on the score sheet.
-Dahl & Roughie both played great games but missed 5 metre handballs!

Ozza
27-04-2015, 12:23 AM

Got a rap from the coach in the presser also.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 12:33 AM
I will also add the smallest of small anchors to big Tommy Boyd.

Played his role again crashed packs and got the ball to ground at every opportunity. But there were several times he got in a great position to mark and seemed more concerned with just hitting it to ground. I'd like to see him back himself more and clunk those.

Greystache
27-04-2015, 12:35 AM

Sounds like the coach know his stuff :D

I like a lot of what Stevens does, he just frustrates me too. He didn't frustrate me at all tonight.

kruder
27-04-2015, 12:44 AM

Best 22 player no doubt he is our 2015 version of Daniel Cross with better skills.

Happy Days
27-04-2015, 01:01 AM

Stevens is pretty good and I need to stop giving it to him so much on match days. He's great overhead and as hard as a cat's head. The shoebox handballs seem to have dissipated too.

jazzadogs
27-04-2015, 01:11 AM
B:
Wood - great game in defence, brave and assured.
Jong - another influential game.
Stringer - awesome.

A
Hrovat - caught a few too many times trying to do too much. Needs to keep it a bit more simple.
Goal kicking - could have cashed in and REALLY flogged them.
Me - no Foxtel, no replay.

You can view the replay on the afl website for free, under the 'smart replay' tab. Might not be up yet, but will be in the next few days.

Unfortunately I'm on a couples weekend in Yarrawonga which I escaped for a few hours to listen on the radio.

Interested in thoughts on Crameri's game, didn't hear him much during the call. Is he flying under the radar with his poor form?

jazzadogs
27-04-2015, 01:11 AM
edit: double post

Ozza
27-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Crameri didn't have a huge impact in possessions (5 kicks/10 handballs) or on the scoreboard (1 goal 2) but he really works bloody hard up the wings to give us an outlet option/contest. Laid 5 tackles.

Crameri is probably never going to dominate 4 quarters. He will have the odd game where he kicks 4, plenty where he kicks 1 or 2...and some moments where he drives us crazy. But the sum total will be 30-40 goals and a match up headache with his pace and physicality. Probably gets the 3rd or 4th defender now.

boydogs
27-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Interested in thoughts on Crameri's game, didn't hear him much during the call. Is he flying under the radar with his poor form?

He was OK, pretty similar game to Grant. They are playing a pretty similar role and I wonder whether they nullify each other at times. The can you play Triple H (Hunter, Honeychurch & Hrovat) question could just as easily be applied to Stringer, Crameri & Grant

Bulldog4life
27-04-2015, 01:45 AM
He was OK, pretty similar game to Grant. They are playing a pretty similar role and I wonder whether they nullify each other at times. The can you play Triple H (Hunter, Honeychurch & Hrovat) question could just as easily be applied to Stringer, Crameri & Grant

Would love to see him in the doggy colours with his sledgehammer.

Remi Moses
27-04-2015, 02:26 AM
Bankers - Webb ( terrific poise and skills for a kid)
JJ ( seems to have licence to back himself, and if he improves his decision making and execution. He'll have taken the next step). Murphy ( simply red, rolling back the years)
Stringer ( beast, and if he'd stayed on he'd have kicked 10 goals 10.
Picken ( best game in a while, and terrific competitor )
Anchors - umpires with Boyd (I think he's the first footballer with one arm)

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Best 22 player no doubt he is our 2015 version of Daniel Cross with better skills.

He played a great game, but that's a step too far yet. Hopefully he can get to that level, but Crossy is an out-and-out machine, who'd still be in the side if not for McCartney.

F'scary
27-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Stevens is pretty good and I need to stop giving it to him so much on match days. He's great overhead and as hard as a cat's head. The shoebox handballs seem to have dissipated too.

He was directly involved with 2 of Stringers goals - one where he broke through the line with a strong run to kick the ball long to Stringer, the second where he forced the turnover with a heavy tackle on the attacking side of the centre. (see Stringer's highlights reel on the WB site).

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Bankers

1. The Bont. Withstood the harassment, and barged his way through packs
2. Murph. A bird in graceful flight across half back
3. Stringer. Kept his feet

Anchors

1. Dickson. Clearly labouring. Should not have played.
2. Grant. Just has to stop those 50 metres.
3. Set shots. Just should not be missing so many when dead in front in this stadium.

Not an anchor

* Cordy. Nowhere near as bad as people make out. Was mobile and reasonable below the knees.

The Underdog
27-04-2015, 11:52 PM
He was directly involved with 2 of Stringers goals - one where he broke through the line with a strong run to kick the ball long to Stringer, the second where he forced the turnover with a heavy tackle on the attacking side of the centre. (see Stringer's highlights reel on the WB site).

He also had 7 tackles which should be a base line for him. If he can give us that and 20+ possessions at 80% efficiency, he becomes a pretty good player for us.

bornadog
27-04-2015, 11:55 PM
He also had 7 tackles which should be a base line for him. If he can give us that and 20+ possessions at 80% efficiency, he becomes a pretty good player for us.

I thought he played one of his best games for us.

Sedat
28-04-2015, 12:45 AM
Also won the Bernard Toohey lookalike competition last night ;)

jeemak
28-04-2015, 01:19 AM
B:

Stevens - Great response to a very ordinary opening of his 2015 account. I thought he was tough and creative in the one hit

Picken - Fantastic game, and did so much of the early work that set up the win. I've been a knocker, and still am to some extent, though throughout that time I've said I'd be more than happy for him to prove me a poor judge and he put himself a step closer to doing so after a very good performance

Mens Department - We have a cohesive and disciplined back six that hasn't played a lot of football together as a unit. If this is the baseline then I'm excited about the top line

A:

Me organising a milestone dinner with my special one without checking the fixture four months out. The dinner was pretty amazing, I don't have the heart to tell her...........

Goal kicking needs to tighten up. We need to kick 50% of the iffy ones, and 70% of the less iffy ones

Me organising a milestone dinner with my special one without checking the fixture four months out. The dinner was pretty amazing, I don't have the heart to tell her...........

I'm a bit surprised by comments of Ayce being an anchor by some - though I guess when the team performs so well you need to find something to post as a weakness that is player specific. His second game as first ruck coming up against one of the best rucks in the competition (who is three years older and stronger) wasn't ever going to be one of dominance, especially within the actual ruck contests.

F'scary
28-04-2015, 08:39 AM

In fact (having watched the replay again last night), the tackle Kobe applied to force the turnover came immediately after he had performed the initial intercept spoil on a Crows pass to put the ball back into dispute. After the Stringer kicked the goal, he and others went over to Kobe and acknowledged that his (not one but) two well executed defensive actions had created the opportunity.

BulldogBelle
29-04-2015, 08:56 AM
He played a great game, but that's a step too far yet. Hopefully he can get to that level, but Crossy is an out-and-out machine, who'd still be in the side if not for McCartney.

Crossy was a gun, but l think the right decision was made to let him go. We had a few young players that needed game time. You must make hard decision's to go forward.

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Crossy was a gun, but l think the right decision was made to let him go. We had a few young players that needed game time. You must make hard decision's to go forward.

It was the right decision to let him go. It would've been equally right to keep him.

I guess, like Morgan Freeman says in The Shawshank Redemption: "Sometimes it makes me sad, though... Crossy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss one of my favourite players."

Remi Moses
01-05-2015, 12:11 AM
Crossy playing at another club hurts more than anyone else.
It was the right decision, and it hurts because he's such a great bloke

Bulldog4life
01-05-2015, 12:37 AM
Crossy playing at another club hurts more than anyone else.
It was the right decision, and it hurts because he's such a great bloke

I heard Crossy talk when he received his Life Membership. He spoke of his tremendous love for our great Club. He will always be a bulldog

Happy Days
01-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Hindsight being 20/20 and all but I see no reason Crossy couldn't be occupying the spot on the list Brett Goodes currently holds.

bornadog
01-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Hindsight being 20/20 and all but I see no reason Crossy couldn't be occupying the spot on the list Brett Goodes currently holds.

Now that does hurt. I couldn't believe when Macca wanted Cross out, yet he goes and rookies Goodes at the same time.

Ozza
01-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Now that does hurt. I couldn't believe when Macca wanted Cross out, yet he goes and rookies Goodes at the same time.

I'm tipping Cross would not have wanted to be on the rookie list.

KT31
01-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Was sad and peeved when they let Crossy go, so I tried to justify it with the fact our kids could get more game time and with the structure, and the way both Boyd and him were playing at the time at we couldn't have both in the team.
Then they went and picked up Goodes and blew that theory out the window.
Still peeved at how he to would have been rejuvenated under Bevo and not had an opportunity to pass on his traits to our kids.

Mofra
01-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Still peeved at how he to would have been rejuvenated under Bevo and not had an opportunity to pass on his traits to our kids.
Given we've lost Wally & Libba and Boyd is in the backline, Cross would probably be getting a game for us right now

Ozza
01-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I don't think there is much to be gained by Cross having stayed and played in the reserves. Goodes has only played a handful of senior games.

I don't think there is anything to be gained by Cross being in the senior team either last year or this. He fills a need/gap at Melbourne, that we don't have in our list.

I'm glad Cross has furthered his senior footy career, playing every week, and going reasonably well.

F'scary
01-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Given we've lost Wally & Libba and Boyd is in the backline, Cross would probably be getting a game for us right now

But ahead of whom this week? Hrovat? Honeychurch?

Ozza
01-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Who would he replace?

We'd be going backwards if he was in the team in place of any of any of the current midfielders.

bornadog
01-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Who would he replace?

We'd be going backwards if he was in the team in place of any of any of the current midfielders.

Same can be said of Goodes playing games in the first few rounds.

1eyedog
01-05-2015, 03:31 PM

I loved Crossy but if that's the case I'm glad we delisted him.

Ozza
01-05-2015, 04:18 PM

I get that you hate Goodes - but I really don't see the relativity between Goodes (a rookie list player who has filled some roles) and Daniel Cross - who someone who's standing in the game really demands that he either play in your senior 22, or not be on the list at all.

Goodes is there to be a depth player. Either as a sub, or pinch hitting in any of the 3 areas of the ground, if and when needed. In an ideal world - he never has to play seniors, and is an experienced leader in a young VFL team. It costs us virtually nothing to have retained him.

F'scary
01-05-2015, 07:19 PM

I take your point and the way we played, in retrospect it would have been the opportunity to get games into players like Webb, etc but at the time we had a few injuries (Libba, Hrovat & Daniel), Hunter was serving a club suspension, so I guess Goodes, who had had an excellent preseason rose to the top of the pile.

GVGjr
01-05-2015, 08:50 PM

Your clearly not a big fan of form dictating team selections.
Goodes earned his spot early in the season and will probably be back in soon.

hujsh
02-05-2015, 12:03 AM

It would be disappointing if that was the case. I'd be hoping the younger players would keep him out

Happy Days
02-05-2015, 01:57 AM

Forget about Goodes. He's not coming back and if he does then we suck again.

G-Mo77
02-05-2015, 08:44 AM

He'd be a good fit in boggy conditions today.

GVGjr
02-05-2015, 09:10 AM

Do you really believe that? Dickson was copping that sort of emotion a while back but his form clearly earned his selection this and thankfully the match committee focused on that.

bornadog
02-05-2015, 09:57 AM

No you are wrong there. My bug bear has always been rooking a 29 year old (at the time) and then we upgraded him, delisted him, re-rooked and then upgraded again in round one.

He has played some serviceable games but I want to see more game time for some of the young guys, of course if they deserve a game.

Happy Days
02-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Do you really believe that? Dickson was copping that sort of emotion a while back but his form clearly earned his selection this and thankfully the match committee focused on that.

I really don't see the upshot in playing him, if that's what you mean.

It's not so much a comment on Goodes' playing ability, it's more that he's very much a stop gap solution that takes games away from other players.

It's either a) I think the other players he would replace are better, or b) I would rather see games going to Goodes going to other players in his role.

GVGjr
02-05-2015, 10:47 AM
No you are wrong there. My bug bear has always been rooking a 29 year old (at the time) and then we upgraded him, delisted him, re-rooked and then upgraded again in round one.

He has played some serviceable games but I want to see more game time for some of the young guys, of course if they deserve a game.

I'm not wrong, you're assessing him on his age not his form and regularly having a crack at him being on the list. His age has nothing to do with it.

Against the Crows we had 13 or 14 players with less than 50 games experience so rolling out the standard old line of "playing the younger guys" to justify your position is more emotional than fact based.

Selections need to be largely based on form not an age profile. Our young players get the games they deserve.
To me wins are the priority at the moment and rewarding the form players is the way to get that.

Doc26
02-05-2015, 11:18 AM
It's a long season and we may still need to call up Brett to provide us with necessary cover for injuries and tired bodies. With that said, I would prefer to see the likes of Prudden and Darley push themselves up for selection, to start to prove themselves at the level as the clock is ticking for them. Biggs when fit should also be pressing.

Whether we can maintain our lift in pace and ball movement throughout the season remains to be seen. Brett's lack of pace in particular and class at the level has him a step back from where we're showing we're heading.

GVGjr
02-05-2015, 12:38 PM
It's a long season and we may still need to call up Brett to provide us with necessary cover for injuries and tired bodies. With that said, I would prefer to see the likes of Prudden and Darley push themselves up for selection, to start to prove themselves at the level as the clock is ticking for them. Biggs when fit should also be pressing.

I agree, Goodes shouldn't be a walk up start and whilst I'd like to see all the younger players get opportunities it has to be when they are in the sort of form that playing in the senior side benefits their development.
Years back many youngsters were given token games under the guise of development and the likes of Mulligan, Hooper and Skinner and it didn't serve their development in the slightest because they didn't have the form or ability to make the most of it. Even Mitch Hahn was rookied when his form was declining. What we are doing now is bringing players in for a decent run which gives them the best chance. With a much younger list it's more than okay to have a few of the experienced types coming into the side when needed.

I'm all for the like of Biggs, Darley, Prudden getting games when they have the form to support it.

Taking a longer term view on selection might be something to consider in the latter part of the season.

bornadog
02-05-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm not wrong, you're assessing him on his age not his form and regularly having a crack at him being on the list. His age has nothing to do with it.

Maybe I am assessing him on his age, but at the time of bringing him in as a rookie we had lots of players that age. I am only thinking of the future. When you are in development mode you bring in younger players.

Against the Crows we had 13 or 14 players with less than 50 games experience so rolling out the standard old line of "playing the younger guys" to justify your position is more emotional than fact based.

Don't agree, I don't roll out standard old lines of play the young for experience sake. They do have to earn their spot. I thought Caleb earned a spot first game but instead we bring in a 30 plus year old rookie.

Years back many youngsters were given token games under the guise of development and the likes of Mulligan, Hooper and Skinner and it didn't serve their development in the slightest because they didn't have the form or ability to make the most of it. .

Easy to forget that in 2011 we had a many injuries to players and were forced to bring in players that probably didn't deserve a game. We debuted 11 players that year due to injuries and loss of form.

As I said, I don't think players should get a game just because they are young.

GVGjr
02-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Maybe I am assessing him on his age, but at the time of bringing him in as a rookie we had lots of players that age. I am only thinking of the future. When you are in development mode you bring in younger players.

You are focusing on his age, but in my opinion it's also wrong by linking the development of the younger players by implying that if they don't get selected in the senior side they can't develop and that it can only happen if the older players on the list make way.
As I have previously said, our players get the games when they deserve it. 14 or 15 guys today with less than 50 games of playing experience and no doubt Biggs, Hamling, Dale and maybe a couple of others will be close to selection when the time is right. We reward the right players.

Bulldog Joe
05-05-2015, 06:31 PM

Don't agree, I don't roll out standard old lines of play the young for experience sake. They do have to earn their spot. I thought Caleb earned a spot first game but instead we bring in a 30 plus year old rookie.

Easy to forget that in 2011 we had a many injuries to players and were forced to bring in players that probably didn't deserve a game. We debuted 11 players that year due to injuries and loss of form.

As I said, I don't think players should get a game just because they are young.

Caleb Daniel suffered an injury prior to the 1st game. Had he not he may well have debuted 1st up.