PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 4 Edition

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Once the Round 4 match against Adelaide is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks Easty

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 08:54 PM
1 - I did not believe that this young team could turn in a defensively excellent effort like we witnessed today. Kudos to the coaches and players.
2 - I cant believe so many of our supporters don't want to come to the game and see it first hand. (Confirmed not learned)
3 - Once we improve our set shots efficiency we can become a force

Daughter of the West
26-04-2015, 09:18 PM
1. We can bury other teams, not just squeak by them for a win

2. We can have silky skills. There were a few blunders as well, don't get me wrong, but some of the moves took my breath away - more because I was holding it expecting the boys to fluff it and they didn't.

3. Our set shots are a worry, but I won't complain too much today

Greystache
26-04-2015, 09:20 PM
1. When we're on song and playing our way we can just about beat anyone.

2. We really need to improve our kicking for goal, it could cost us some close games.

3. The lights at Etihad really get in your eyes, the players do well not to be distracted. Having a kick on the ground I was nearly blinded!

ReLoad
26-04-2015, 09:25 PM
1. Stringer is the new Stevie J.
2. Grant is no good, pure and simple.
3. If I were a billionaire I'd buy the advertising signs and have a remote control to make it crazy when the opposition have the ball and turn off when we have it. Especially if they were shooting for goal, it's way too bright.

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 09:35 PM
1. Being the captain of your futsal team sucks. Had to miss such a great win. (Though we won ourselves with a man down, so it wasn't so bad).
2. Stevie J is the new Stringer.
3. Lucas Webb is a deadset gun.

Greystache
26-04-2015, 09:35 PM
3. If I were a billionaire I'd buy the advertising signs and have a remote control to make it crazy when the opposition have the ball and turn off when we have it. Especially if they were shooting for goal, it's way too bright.

It might be my imagination but did Stringer get lost amongst the advertising signage when he kicked that goal on his own in the goal square. It's almost like Adelaide didn't see him.

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 09:57 PM
1. Lin Jong can play. Taught Rory Sloane and other more experienced players a footballing lesson today. Always looked like he had nothing left but kept soldiering on.

2. Stringer is a freak, whether he plays forward or goes into the midfield later in his career, he will be superstar.

3. Ayce Cordy - Got the job done but struggled in the hitouts - wouldn't care if it's the last time we see him or he plays a heap of games, he's just there.

Mantis
26-04-2015, 10:11 PM
1/ We are fun to watch when we we're on song.

2/ We have dangerous players on every line.

3/ I have under-estimated our ability.. I didn't see that coming.

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 10:12 PM
3 more from me.

1 - You don't necessarily need tags to cut the opposition better players out of the game.
2 - It's great to have a midfield that runs hard both ways. The defensive zoning was excellent.
3 - If the term 'captains lead and soldiers follow' is true then Murphy leads the special forces and big Tex the military observers.

kruder
26-04-2015, 10:15 PM

I'd liken Stringer to Gary Ablett Snr. Scary I know but the kid is a freak. He has the best goal highlights package of any player in the competition over 2014/2015.

Drunken Bum
26-04-2015, 10:21 PM
It might be my imagination but did Stringer get lost amongst the advertising signage when he kicked that goal on his own in the goal square. It's almost like Adelaide didn't see him.

That was my immediate thought watching on tv

F'scary
26-04-2015, 10:22 PM
1. While we have some obvious regulars appearing in the best players list every match, we have a larger group of players who can turn it on. If a couple who were in the best the week before are down, there's a couple who step up and have their moment in the spotlight. It is great not to have a team so dependent on a few players per the last few seasons. Hope we can keep this up.

2. Talia, you are a genuine KPB.

3. Kobe Stevens, you have the ability to continue to learn. Good game.

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 10:22 PM
3 more from me.

1 - You don't necessarily need tags to cut the opposition better players out of the game.
2 - It's great to have a midfield that runs hard both ways. The defensive zoning was excellent.
3 - If the term 'captains lead and soldiers follow' is true then Murphy leads the special forces and big Tex the military observers.
Bit hard on Tex, he's been playing brilliantly just had an off day. Happens to everyone.

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Bit hard on Tex, he's been playing brilliantly just had an off day. Happens to everyone.

It was more or less recognition of how brilliant Bobby was.

whythelongface
26-04-2015, 10:49 PM
2. Grant is no good, pure and simple..

What are your reasons?

Thought he did some good things. Quick hands, tackles well. Sure he gave away a 50 and missed an easy set shot . Would like to see him get more involved but I don't think he is the type of player that will pick up many possessions but he has an ability to do some freakish things. Whether that is enough I am not sure,.

ratsmac
26-04-2015, 10:49 PM
1. This group of kids are going places led by an inspirational captain.

2. Murphy is actually playing better than he was 4 years ago. (which is remarkable because he was a gun 4 years ago) He's getting better the older he gets.

3. You don't want the Bulldogs on the rebound after a loss.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2015, 10:53 PM
1. A coach is very important. This team today was around last year, but you'd think there was no relationship watching last and this year.
2. What a damaging outfit we can be. 30 scoring shots to 3/4 time.
3. Stringer does the impossible and make it look easy, and does the easy things unwell. But once he gets it right...

ReLoad
26-04-2015, 11:22 PM
What are your reasons?

Thought he did some good things. Quick hands, tackles well. Sure he gave away a 50 and missed an easy set shot . Would like to see him get more involved but I don't think he is the type of player that will pick up many possessions but he has an ability to do some freakish things. Whether that is enough I am not sure,.

Well you certainly picked the two obvious issues, but he has no upside, what we saw today is pretty much what we have got for the last 7 years. Yes there has been the odd bright spark, but that's it.

We totally dominated today, in pretty much ever facet of the game and he pretty much fluffed his opportunities. There are kids on our list far more deserving (hunter for example) who need to be playing to develop their upside.

He has had 3 coaches now and results have been the same, I'd even go as far as saying that I don't think he would get many opportunities at another club.

I'm really disappointed that it has come to this, and I certainly haven't been hard on him before, but our List needs continual change and improvement.

I'm more than happy for counter arguments, but personally I reckon it's time to pull the plug.

AndrewP6
26-04-2015, 11:26 PM
1. Our Pups right through the side are progressing well. Kudos to the coaches.
2. We can challenge (if not defeat) any side.
3. Some of our 'fans' are very hard to please. 19k was very ordinary. I hate the 4:40 timeslot, no good for families with kids, hopefully it was just that.

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 11:30 PM
1. A coach is very important. This team today was around last year, but you'd think there was no relationship watching last and this year.
2. What a damaging outfit we can be. 30 scoring shots to 3/4 time.
3. Stringer does the impossible and make it look easy, and does the easy things unwell. But once he gets it right...
When he kicks his first ten-goal-game, I'm gonna dance a bloody jig.

boydogs
26-04-2015, 11:36 PM
3. Some of our 'fans' are very hard to please. 19k was very ordinary. I hate the 4:40 timeslot, no good for families with kids, hopefully it was just that.

North Melbourne v Port Adelaide 7:20pm last Saturday night got 22k

The bulldog tragician
26-04-2015, 11:36 PM
When he kicks his first ten-goal-game, I'm gonna dance a bloody jig.

He was on track. It was the dominant scary good performance we've got glimpses of.

How bright our future looks, and some of our young talent have the electrifying skills that will surely get doubting supporters back in love with our team. Jake the Beast. Bont the Freak. Wait till T Boyd starts to turn it on too. It's exciting times, all aboard!

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 11:42 PM
1 - 8 players over 80% disposal efficiency
2 - 7 players over 25 possessions
3 - 6 players with 5 or more tackles

Its a beautiful thing

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 11:48 PM
1. Our Pups right through the side are progressing well. Kudos to the coaches.
2. We can challenge (if not defeat) any side.

My kids were at the Dawn Service, add in a family party and a late finish the next night was asking to much. Missed a Cracker.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 11:51 PM
1. Macrae doesn't get many accolades, but I think he is destined to be A Grade. Played a great game tonight and I should have given him votes.

2. We can kick goals and pile on 6 in a quarter (twice)

3. We still haven't resolved who is a better ruckman than Minno at this stage.

AndrewP6
27-04-2015, 12:13 AM
My kids were at the Dawn Service, add in a family party and a late finish the next night was asking to much. Missed a Cracker.

Fair enough. Certainly was a cracker!

Ozza
27-04-2015, 12:43 AM

Might be the only logical conclusion to draw from the most dangerous player being so far out on his own.

Ozza
27-04-2015, 12:49 AM
I learnt that Tom Boyd is already very very important to our forward structure.
Noticed when he had to pinch hit in the ruck that we lost our way a bit going forward and either went wide or looked indecisive.
String getting to tear apart Hartigan while Boyd competed with Talia, was a big plus for us.

Greystache
27-04-2015, 10:06 AM
I learnt that Tom Boyd is already very very important to our forward structure.
Noticed when he had to pinch hit in the ruck that we lost our way a bit going forward and either went wide or looked indecisive.
String getting to tear apart Hartigan while Boyd competed with Talia, was a big plus for us.

Totally agree. The commentators mentioned the same, and just as they did, Jacobs took an uncontested deep in our forward line. Boyd kicked another two as a cherry on the top, that's 5 in the past 2 weeks.

craigsahibee
27-04-2015, 10:18 AM
1. Lukas Webb. Can play.
2. Jake Stringer is the Glenn Maxwell of the AFL. Makes the difficult stuff look freakishly easy and the easy stuff.......well sometimes you just wonder what's going on.
3. I love footy again.

Ozza
27-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Totally agree. The commentators mentioned the same, and just as they did, Jacobs took an uncontested deep in our forward line. Boyd kicked another two as a cherry on the top, that's 5 in the past 2 weeks.

Over the season so far - although most would agree that Boyd is still finding his way a bit as a key position player, its certainly encouraging that he has been able to get on the scoreboard, and also progressively take a few marks inside 50. 6 goals from 4 matches puts him on track for 33 goals, should he play all 22 games.

At the start of the year, if you were to say we'd get 30 goals from a second year key forward - we would all be rapt.
Continuing like this is of course, not a given - but Boyd has been a good contributor to date.

Hopefully he can have the odd 3-4 goal game when the clamps are on Stringer and/or Crameri - and keep growing in confidence.
Love that Boyd is a solid shot at goal also.

Mofra
27-04-2015, 11:08 AM
1. Boyd is vital to our structure. Most of our goals come from either isolating Stringer one out, or from Boyd competing in the air and bringing the ball to ground.

2. Dahl can play predominately midfield. Smashed it yesterday

3. Talia was at times the only tall backman when Roughy relieved in the ruck. Our Talia did this well - shades of his brother today.

always right
27-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Since the opening match against West Coast our defensive positioning has improved out of sight. Forced Adelaide to play safe time and time again yesterday.

My son reckons Easton Wood has become the player we had all hoped for. I agree.

Jake Stringer should never take a set shot again. He should play on at every opportunity, wait to be tackled, break the tackle and screw the ball through for goal. It's the safest option.

Sedat
27-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Just saw the replay - very impressive performance.

1. Someone has taught JJ how to actually defend over summer. He was a liability one-on-one down back until this year. You can't just rebound off HB - you have to know how to defend as well.

2. Bob is a national treasure

3. T.Boyd hardly ever gets outmarked. So important in retaining the ball inside 50 and forcing pressure on the opposition in their defensive 50

Bulldog4life
27-04-2015, 06:17 PM
I. Any doubters on Lin Jong's playing ability surely would have to eat their words now.

2. Love that fact that we have a Key Forward in Tom Boyd who kicks straight.

3. The ferocity of all the players is truly a joy to watch.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Over the season so far - although most would agree that Boyd is still finding his way a bit as a key position player, its certainly encouraging that he has been able to get on the scoreboard, and also progressively take a few marks inside 50. 6 goals from 4 matches puts him on track for 33 goals, should he play all 22 games.

At the start of the year, if you were to say we'd get 30 goals from a second year key forward - we would all be rapt.
Continuing like this is of course, not a given - but Boyd has been a good contributor to date.

Hopefully he can have the odd 3-4 goal game when the clamps are on Stringer and/or Crameri - and keep growing in confidence.
Love that Boyd is a solid shot at goal also.

We finally have the Hydra Forward Line of Greek mythology: Cut one head off and two more appear in its place.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 10:38 PM
1. Defending space has freed up our players.
2. We are playing like PA (but without the accuracy and polish), with most players being in perpetual motion to help create space and continue the chain.
3. Tom Boyd is such a huge signing for us, both structurally and psychologically.

dukedog
27-04-2015, 11:04 PM
1. A coach has to identify what type of players suit what type of game styles. Bevo has done this. Feels awesome to have a friend text and say how good the doggies were to watch.!!!

2. T.boyd competes ridiculously well for a young bloke. I dont understand why people think he needs to kick bags of goals. His assists are through the roof.

3. M.Boyd i thought had 1 year left in him as a midfielder. Id be sad to see him leave the backline before the end of 2016. His disposal efficiency is amazing this year. The butcher by foot has become a sniper. Good on ya boydy

The Doctor
27-04-2015, 11:21 PM
1. Our crumbers in the forward line need to be on high alert. There's a lot to pick off those big forwards we now have. Brian Royal would kick a ton!

2. Joel Corey our stoppage coach seems to be very good at his craft.

3. It's great to want to watch the footy again

jeemak
27-04-2015, 11:51 PM
1. Team defence is as important to our winning chances as any other aspect of the game

2. Organisation and communication when attacking the loose ball is just as important as endeavour to get it. It's great to see us not continually having two or three players running to the loose ball or the opponent that's likely to get it. Our chances to defend the opposition having it, or doing something constructive if we win it are drastically improved when we're organised

3. A change in culture and leadership in the coaching and playing group can have drastic and immediate impacts on a team's fortunes. Our players are committed to playing a balanced game, there is coherence in what is required from them

westdog54
28-04-2015, 12:06 AM
1. There's a lot of love for Clay Smith at the club. Watching everyone get around him when he kicked his goal was joyful.

2. We are going to be fun to watch for a few years.

3. I can't apologise enough to Matty Boyd and Mick Talia.

Mantis
28-04-2015, 10:23 AM
3. It's great to want to watch the footy again

Very valid point.