PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 5 vs Sydney Swans

Eastdog
19-04-2015, 10:55 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 5 match against Sydney Swans at the SCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Bump

azabob
26-04-2015, 08:45 PM
No change. Unless Stringer is injured. If he is, in Redpath.

G-Mo77
26-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Hard to make a change. Stringer the obvious concern. Crameri rolled an ankle late might be a worry.

I hear Hunter knocked the door off the hinges today so he's a good chance at returning.

Mantis
26-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Did Cordy do enough? I don't think so.

azabob
26-04-2015, 08:53 PM

Did Minson do enough to get back in?

Bulldog4life
26-04-2015, 08:54 PM

Happy to give Cordy another week

G-Mo77
26-04-2015, 08:57 PM

He got beat by Jacobs, pretty easily but would give him another week.

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 09:05 PM
No change. Unless Stringer is injured. If he is, in Redpath.

Agree with Redders in for Stringer.
Will Bevo bring in The Soup to give Ayce a chop out?
Can go frward as well,but who misses? :confused:

Remi Moses
26-04-2015, 09:09 PM
I thought Ayce played alright .

Hotdog60
26-04-2015, 10:12 PM
I think from my TV view the if anyone goes it maybe Hrovat for Hunter.
He was a bit selfish and at times a bit slow to move the ball on.

If not no change.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 10:13 PM

Bring on Campbell.

Mantis
26-04-2015, 10:14 PM
I thought Ayce played alright .

What part of his game impressed you?

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Did Minson do enough to get back in?

Unequivocally: no

Depending on the StringBeast, only Hunter for mine

Rocco Jones
26-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Campbell for Ayce and Redpath for Stringer if he doesn't come up.

I like the way Beverdige spoke about the 1st ruck role. Not being in the side/getting dropped doesn't mean you are far off it. IMO we can only play one of Ayce/Will/TC in the same side. I would make them battle it out for it. Whoever is best that week is in. Simple as that. It doesn't feel great to get dropped but on the flipside you always know you are close if good enough.

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Campbell for Ayce and Redpath for Stringer if he doesn't come up.

I like the way Beverdige spoke about the 1st ruck role. Not being in the side/getting dropped doesn't mean you are far off it. IMO we can only play one of Ayce/Will/TC in the same side. I would make them battle it out for it. Whoever is best that week is in. Simple as that. It doesn't feel great to get dropped but on the flipside you always know you are close if good enough.
On that basis Ayce keeps his spot.

SlimPickens
26-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Out: Cordy, Grant

In: Campbell, Hunter

The two ins have potential to offer us much more than the two outs.

F'scary
26-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Dickson has had a couple of quiet games.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2015, 10:56 PM
On that basis Ayce keeps his spot.

I am good with Ayce keeping his spot. For mine is Campbell just over Ayce just over Will.

GVGjr
26-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Dickson has had a couple of quiet games.

And a couple of brilliant ones. Surely that should buy him some more time.

1eyedog
26-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Wallis was apparently feeling pretty good on Friday.

AndrewP6
26-04-2015, 11:16 PM
I'm not a fan, but I think Cordy will get another go-round. That said, if Stringer isn't right, give Hunter a crack. If Six-pack is OK, no change.

boydogs
26-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Stringer was interviewed after the game, he said it was a bit of cramp and he will play next week

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 11:20 PM
What did everyone think of Roughy following Jenkins everywhere, including the second ruck position?

Could he do the same with Tippett this week? Who is our best matchup for Mike Pyke? Cordy was ok. But I'm thinking Minsons big frame around the ball might be required this game.

Wallis if fit comes in. Possibly at the expense of Smith?

The Underdog
26-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Beveridge said Stringer will be right in his presser.
Obviously Wallis comes back in if fit. Hrovat is the one who could be in trouble if that's the case. Otherwise Hunter could be a chance based on VFL reports. Not sure what way they'll go in the ruck, although I'm still not comfortable with being an Ayce Cordy injury away from our structure being shot for the game.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Next week we have to consider Franklin, Tippet and Reid as three talls. Does this mean Hamling or Roberts comes in?

LostDoggy
26-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Next week we have to consider Franklin, Tippet and Reid as three talls. Does this mean Hamling or Roberts comes in?

Reid played back this week and played his best game in years. I'd say he will play that role again.

Greystache
26-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Stringer was interviewed after the game, he said it was a bit of cramp and he will play next week

Wow, that's some serious cotton wool. Not unhappy with that.

Jeanette54
26-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Watching today it almost looked like Bevo sacrificed the hit-outs for a run with role by dropping Will for Ayce. That might not be the case next week.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2015, 11:26 PM
What did everyone think of Roughy following Jenkins everywhere, including the second ruck position?

Could he do the same with Tippett this week? Who is our best matchup for Mike Pyke? Cordy was ok. But I'm thinking Minsons big frame around the ball might be required this game.

Roughy played the role I thought Ayce would do alongside Will. I like the role Roughy played today, similar to Jackson Trengove at Port.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Reid played back this week and played his best game in years. I'd say he will play that role again.

If Reid plays forward I would roll the dice and try to rebound off him. Too cautious playing an extra tall defender for a forward who isn't doing much other than being tall.

bornadog
26-04-2015, 11:27 PM

Ok, that would make a difference as they would have to be worried about our tall forward line.

azabob
26-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Just on Cordy, I honestly don't think he was any worse or any better than Minson has been.

azabob
26-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Out: Cordy, Grant

In: Campbell, Hunter

The two ins have potential to offer us much more than the two outs.

How is Campbell's fitness considering his limited pre-season?

Mantis
27-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Just on Cordy, I honestly don't think he was any worse or any better than Minson has been.

It's hard to tell, but I doubt Jacobs would have had such an influence around the ball if opposed to Minson.. The fact that we weren't made to pay for Adelaide's dominance around the ball hid the fact that Cordy was badly beaten.

Ozza
27-04-2015, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't be making any changes this week unless;

1. Players are sore and need to miss a week.
2. Bevo has a different mindset for the ruck position this week. (I've given up speculating on why Cordy as no.1 this week, where Minson is at/where Campbell is at).

SlimPickens
27-04-2015, 10:09 AM
How is Campbell's fitness considering his limited pre-season?

Getting better everyweek, it appears he spent more time forward yesterday and hit the scoreboard doing it. Tom can cover the ground and gives us a marking option around the ground.

KT31
27-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Ins - Hunter, Prudden and Minson.

Out - Cordy,Honeychurch and Dickson.

Thought Dickson looked a bit tired and sore, its a long season for kids and need to rotate them to get them through.

Mantis
27-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Ins - Hunter, Hrovat and Minson.

Thought Dickson looked a bit tired and sore, its a long season for kids and need to rotate them to get them through.

He played yesterday.

KT31
27-04-2015, 10:52 AM
He played yesterday.

Fixed it was meant to be Josh Prudden.

soupman
27-04-2015, 01:39 PM

Not sure Honeychurch needs a rest after being the sub.

always right
27-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Kidding yourself if you think Cordy will be dropped.

KT31
27-04-2015, 02:00 PM

Dont think he will be, but would prefer Minson back in.

bornadog
27-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Last time we played Sydney, Cordy as number one ruck, had 14 hitouts to Mike Pike's 44.

Food for thought.

jazzadogs
27-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Really like the thought that went into selection this week. Identified the opposition ruckmen, and tried to determine the best way for us to combat them.

This week the talls are likely to be Franklin, Tippett, Pyke and Reid.

Likely match ups:
Talia on Franklin
Roughead on Tippett, following into the ruck
Cordy (or Campbell) on Pyke in the ruck.
Reid playing in defence on Boyd.

My questions would be who takes Pyke when he's resting forward? Ayce played in defence against Hawthorn, I would imagine that flexibility is what is keeping him in the side.

And how well does Talia match up on Franklin? Certainly think he gets first go given his impressive start to the season, but not sure how he will cope with Buddy's speed and agility.

always right
27-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Last time we played Sydney, Cordy as number one ruck, had 14 hitouts to Mike Pike's 44.

Food for thought.

Can't remember. How did we go as a team that day?

bornadog
27-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Can't remember. How did we go as a team that day?

Thrashed by 10 goals

bornadog
27-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Thought Dickson looked a bit tired and sore,

Had a shocker yesterday with a disposal efficiency of 50%. Some bad misses at goal, hospital handball to Macrae running into an open goal when he should have kicked it himself and also looked lost at times especially up the ground.

I would give him another week as we know he can kick goals.

Cyberdoggie
27-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Rather than thinking about who did and didn't do so well this week, perhaps we should look more at who we are playing and where.

Sydney at the SCG!

Small ground might be a sodden ground and a real physical contest.

On that alone you have to put Minson or even Campbell in for Ayce Cordy.
Minson loves smaller ground and the wet where he can use his strength, Ayce struggles to keep his balance in the dry, he would be destroyed by Pyke in those conditions.
Campbell kicked a small bag and has strength, we will need another key tall at the SCG as it's not a run friendly ground, you need to have marking options to help bring the ball to ground. Campbell or Redpath have to play.

Coming in to the Adelaide game without Libba and Wallis I was worried about our strength around the ball, thankfully we smashed the crows everywhere else. At the SCG we won't have much room to move and need to be competitive in this area, if Wallis is fit that would be huge for us but if not we may have to have some backup.

Going to be a very interesting team selection this week.

always right
27-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Rather than thinking about who did and didn't do so well this week, perhaps we should look more at who we are playing and where.

Sydney at the SCG!

Small ground might be a sodden ground and a real physical contest.

On that alone you have to put Minson or even Campbell in for Ayce Cordy.
Minson loves smaller ground and the wet where he can use his strength, Ayce struggles to keep his balance in the dry, he would be destroyed by Pyke in those conditions.
Campbell kicked a small bag and has strength, we will need another key tall at the SCG as it's not a run friendly ground, you need to have marking options to help bring the ball to ground. Campbell or Redpath have to play.

Coming in to the Adelaide game without Libba and Wallis I was worried about our strength around the ball, thankfully we smashed the crows everywhere else. At the SCG we won't have much room to move and need to be competitive in this area, if Wallis is fit that would be huge for us but if not we may have to have some backup.

Going to be a very interesting team selection this week.

You raise some really good points CD...particularly in regard to the SCG. This will test Beveridge's statement that we will pick a different ruckman depending on the circumstances. The SCG certainly suits Will better...or perhaps even Campbell who has the strength and can pluck marks around the ground.

I'd be surprised if Beveridge brings in an extra tall...reckon he will prefer the same set up as yesterday with Boyd coming out of the goalsquare, Crameri, Dickson et al working up the ground and Stringer positioned 30 metres out from goal.

Can't see them risking Wallis in what will be a really physical game, particularly if conditions are wet. Might also count against Hunter if the conditions are not great. If dry he plays, if wet then the hardworking Honeychurch may be preferred.

hotdog
27-04-2015, 03:54 PM
They are predicting rain all week up here. Up to 150mm from Tuesday to Saturday with the biggest downpours on Friday and Saturday. For those that have not followed the news the rainfall has been at record levels this last week so the ground is already saturated. If we do get the predicted rain it will be heavy going.

F'scary
27-04-2015, 04:26 PM
They are predicting rain all week up here. Up to 150mm from Tuesday to Saturday with the biggest downpours on Friday and Saturday. For those that have not followed the news the rainfall has been at record levels this last week so the ground is already saturated. If we do get the predicted rain it will be heavy going.

Thanks, that settles it for me. Cordy out, Minson in for the Sydney game.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 04:33 PM
With a heavy 10, id be inclined to rest a few of the youngsters this week and have them cherry ripe for the saints game. I agree on Cordy making way - for mine Campbell gets the nod purely on his forward ability. I would give Stringer a rest if not 100% and also wouldnt rush Wallis back. I'd also be inclined to give Clay Smith a rest or the green vest this week.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 04:35 PM
I've been hanging out to see both Stringer and the Bont in the wet. Should be awesome to see, I reckon both players will handle the conditions well.

ledge
27-04-2015, 05:28 PM
I would leave Cordy in , if its going to rain and be slippery, Cordy is much better below his knees than Minson or Campbell.
I don't think in the air or hit outs will be a huge advantage in that weather, just make it hit the ground and let our quick smalls go to work.

Cyberdoggie
27-04-2015, 05:36 PM
With a heavy 10, id be inclined to rest a few of the youngsters this week and have them cherry ripe for the saints game. I agree on Cordy making way - for mine Campbell gets the nod purely on his forward ability. I would give Stringer a rest if not 100% and also wouldnt rush Wallis back. I'd also be inclined to give Clay Smith a rest or the green vest this week.
Do we take our Rolls Royce out in the rain? Bonts out?

I can see us getting a little banged up there. Clay Smith will have a great game no doubt.
Our tackling pressure will be put to the test, we will need to learn to win ugly.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Do we take our Rolls Royce out in the rain? Bonts out?

I can see us getting a little banged up there. Clay Smith will have a great game no doubt.
Our tackling pressure will be put to the test, we will need to learn to win ugly.

What better team to beat ugly than the Swannies? I'd leave Bont in, I'd leave all the young guys in, just for experience. It rains a heck of a lot in Melbourne in September.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Swans coming off a hard,phsyical game against Freo and the travel factor fromW.A.
Teams predominately struggle the next week after the W.A. trip.
Like our chance of knocking them off alot.

Rocco Jones
27-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Thinking a bit more about the ruck position. I would go with Roughy in the 2nd ruck role chasing Tippet around all day. I think we need a ruck to play as much TOG as possible to give Roughy the freedom. I had Campbell as being in but I think he is the worst of the trio in terms of endurance. I definitely agree that the SCG suits Will.

G-Mo77
27-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks, that settles it for me. Cordy out, Minson in for the Sydney game.

There will be a ton of stoppages so yeah I'd be inclined to bring Will back as well.

Could be a pretty ugly match to watch.

F'scary
27-04-2015, 10:05 PM
There will be a ton of stoppages so yeah I'd be inclined to bring Will back as well.

Could be a pretty ugly match to watch.

You'd think Minson would be pretty fired up.

Dry Rot
27-04-2015, 10:20 PM
We will be likely playing in a swamp.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/sydney-weather-more-rain-on-the-way-with-possible-east-coast-low-20150426-1mtxer.html

How will this affect our new run and gun style?

Dry Rot
27-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Good news is that IIRC the Swans have been surprisingly average to poor in the wet in recent seasons.

1eyedog
27-04-2015, 10:29 PM
If it's wet Wood on Franklin and Will in for Cordy. We need all of our close to the ground players in as well, Hrovat, Dahl, Honeychurch and I'd rest Boyd Junior and go small up forward. Being wet will help us no end because the Swans are just so strong there.

azabob
27-04-2015, 10:41 PM
If it's wet Wood on Franklin and Will in for Cordy. We need all of our close to the ground players in as well, Hrovat, Dahl, Honeychurch and I'd rest Boyd Junior and go small up forward. Being wet will help us no end because the Swans are just so strong there.

Just on Tom Boyd, wouldn't we still want him in to provide structure and bring the ball to the ground when we need a get out long option?

1eyedog
27-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Just on Tom Boyd, wouldn't we still want him in to provide structure and bring the ball to the ground when we need a get out long option?

Normally I would agree, but if it's thunderstorm conditions as predicted I don't think the ball is actually going to get off the ground very often. In all seriousness I don't think many overhead marks will be taken, hence my Wood on Franklin suggestion. It will be interesting to see how Bevo sets up.

Dry Rot
27-04-2015, 10:53 PM

The ground is surprisingly short. I'd even consider reversing Stringer and Boyd i.e. Boyd on the 50 arc and Stringer closer to goal for fun.

Happy Days
28-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Boyd always, always brings the ball to ground. A long kick into him in the wet would actually suit our scoring system as much as one in the dry, Boyd clunking one notwithstanding.

I think he's been super awesome this year and we're worse off without him regardless of conditions.

Happy Days
28-04-2015, 12:55 PM
The ground is surprisingly short. I'd even consider reversing Stringer and Boyd i.e. Boyd on the 50 arc and Stringer closer to goal for fun.

I want Boyd in the ruck and for us to give Stringer the reverse Pagan's paddock/Fev Zone. I wouldn't even play other forwards what's the point.

Mofra
28-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Normally I would agree, but if it's thunderstorm conditions as predicted I don't think the ball is actually going to get off the ground very often. In all seriousness I don't think many overhead marks will be taken, hence my Wood on Franklin suggestion. It will be interesting to see how Bevo sets up.
There was a huge difference in our F50 entries when Boyd went off the ground or was in the ruck last week. He doesn't just bring the ball to ground - he often puts it to our advantage.
He stays for mine.

LostDoggy
28-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I'd be dropping Cordy for Campbell his big body will be good in the wet, also Hrovat for Hunter.

Greystache
28-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Boyd always, always brings the ball to ground. A long kick into him in the wet would actually suit our scoring system as much as one in the dry, Boyd clunking one notwithstanding.

I think he's been super awesome this year and we're worse off without him regardless of conditions.

Totally agree. For a player who's only kicked 6 goals, and is averaging a couple of marks a game, our forward structure is heavily reliant on what he brings to the team. It's a massive amount of responsibility on a 19 year key forward but he's coping well and getting better every week.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-04-2015, 04:08 PM
I'd be dropping Cordy for Campbell his big body will be good in the wet, also Hrovat for Hunter.

The MC may want to retain Cordy given that Campbell is just coming back to form and fitness after a shoulder injury. Hunter was very good in the VFL on Saturday, but Hrovat would be unlucky to miss out. Perhaps Honeychurch might make way for Hunter.

stefoid
29-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Think a small wet ground and the stoppages it will create will see Clay getting more involved than he was last week with the ball whizzing up and down etihad at high speed. He is a starter.

Think whoever gets the sub is unlucky. Honeychurch has been starting on fire and then fading, so maybe let him start and have Hrovat come on for whoever is having an off day.

whythelongface
29-04-2015, 12:12 AM
Good news is that IIRC the Swans have been surprisingly average to poor in the wet in recent seasons.

Last time we played them in the wet at the SCG we got absolutely hammered (2012 ??). Think we were lucky to hit double figures at one stage. No doubt we are a lot better now but not sure if wet ground will suit our free flowing style.

comrade
29-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Last time we played them in the wet at the SCG we got absolutely hammered (2012 ??). Think we were lucky to hit double figures at one stage. No doubt we are a lot better now but not sure if wet ground will suit our free flowing style.

I'm not so sure. Our game style is built on quick hand balling and running at the opposition to break the zone, rather than trying to pierce it with finesse kicking. A wet day suits the run and handball style but only if it's not overdone.

Remi Moses
29-04-2015, 03:26 AM
As noted the Swans are abysmal in the wet . Pike and Tippet could do a number on Ayce, so maybe Will comes back ( particularly if it's wet)

LostDoggy
29-04-2015, 05:49 PM
We could let the Minnosaur cool his heels one more week at Footscray , drop Cordy and reward Campbell on form , give Crameri a rest and bring in Hamling at Full Forward and move Stringer to the midfield , and if our defence is under pressure during the game move Hamling to the backline Wood to the midfield and Stringer forward
Big Jack deserves to come back in but Hamling is the same height and would give us more flexibility in wet conditions and having him a FF means we can move Boyd Jnr to HF to stretch the Swans defensive structure

dukedog
29-04-2015, 10:44 PM
We could let the Minnosaur cool his heels one more week at Footscray , drop Cordy and reward Campbell on form , give Crameri a rest and bring in Hamling at Full Forward and move Stringer to the midfield , and if our defence is under pressure during the game move Hamling to the backline Wood to the midfield and Stringer forward
Big Jack deserves to come back in but Hamling is the same height and would give us more flexibility in wet conditions and having him a FF means we can move Boyd Jnr to HF to stretch the Swans defensive structure

After losing consciousness from lack of oxygen. I finished reading your post. I realised that your options of field positions are quite nice. :cool:

bornadog
29-04-2015, 11:54 PM

Why does Crameri need a rest?

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Why does Crameri need a rest?

He went down during the game with a knock to the calf , he ran out the game but pulled up sore , he's probably fine to play but to me bringing Hamling in as a forward means you can rest Crameri

jeemak
30-04-2015, 12:06 AM

Why do we drop Cordy after one game playing first ruck against one of the best rucks in the game in a winning team, when he contributed and is still learning his craft?

How much good form has Campbell got under his belt at Footscray to date to suggest he's deserving of an immediate call up?

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Why do we drop Cordy after one game playing first ruck against one of the best rucks in the game in a winning team, when he contributed and is still learning his craft?

How much good form has Campbell got under his belt at Footscray to date to suggest he's deserving of an immediate call up?

Cordy was given a hard task thats for sure but Bevo got the chance to see him in the No 1 ruck role , Tom was very solid in the VFL 22 hitouts , 4 goals and more importantly 6 tackles ( did give away 6 free kicks ) , against Sydney in wet conditions Tom would be a better match up than Cordy

Dry Rot
30-04-2015, 12:48 AM
FWIW it's bucketing up here now in waves (i.e. light or no rain, then heavy downpour)

Expected to get worse for the weekend.

jeemak
30-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Cordy was given a hard task thats for sure but Bevo got the chance to see him in the No 1 ruck role , Tom was very solid in the VFL 22 hitouts , 4 goals and more importantly 6 tackles ( did give away 6 free kicks ) , against Sydney in wet conditions Tom would be a better match up than Cordy

Who did Campbell ruck against?

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 01:26 AM
Who did Campbell ruck against?

Spencer and Gawn

jeemak
30-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Spencer and Gawn

How do they stack up?

It's a genuine question, I don't follow Melbourne, let alone Casey.

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 02:47 AM
How do they stack up?

It's a genuine question, I don't follow Melbourne, let alone Casey.

Spencer is over 200cm and 100kg , he's been there a while but is still only 25yo , Gawn is a bit bigger , as a ruck combination they beat the combination of Minson and Campbell but around the ground Will and Tom were better

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=124365417&c=4-118-0-339767-0&pool=1

Greystache
30-04-2015, 10:40 AM
That's a pretty massive game from Tom Campbell- 14 disposals, 7 marks (4 contested which was the most on the ground), 6 tackles (second most for Footscray), more hitouts than Minson, and 4 goals.

I didn't go because it was at Footscray but that's a bigger return than anything he's produced up to this point. You'd have to think he's a strong chance to come in.

whythelongface
30-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Has Hamling played at FF in the VFL? Does he show some ability that he would be considered to play FF? Interesting move though.

bornadog
30-04-2015, 11:19 AM
FWIW it's bucketing up here now in waves (i.e. light or no rain, then heavy downpour)

Expected to get worse for the weekend.

Typical Sydney weather then. :)

bornadog
30-04-2015, 11:25 AM
That's a pretty massive game from Tom Campbell- 14 disposals, 7 marks (4 contested which was the most on the ground), 6 tackles (second most for Footscray), more hitouts than Minson, and 4 goals.

I didn't go because it was at Footscray but that's a bigger return than anything he's produced up to this point. You'd have to think he's a strong chance to come in.

One more hitout than Minson, one ,more disposal, one more tackle, however, more marks and goals. Hardly a domination.

I would leave Cordy in for another few weeks and lets see how he goes, plus Campbell well get more games in him.

I see Campbell taking over in the second half of the year.

whythelongface
30-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Typical Sydney weather then. :)

Certainly for April it is!!! Just a bit wetter though. Nearly 500mm of rain for April alone and more expected for early May. Give me Melbourne weather any day.

Greystache
30-04-2015, 11:38 AM
One more hitout than Minson, one ,more disposal, one more tackle, however, more marks and goals. Hardly a domination.

I would leave Cordy in for another few weeks and lets see how he goes, plus Campbell well get more games in him.

I see Campbell taking over in the second half of the year.

You missed the point.

He kicked 4 goals, but still had the most hitouts in the team, so he wasn't just parked at FF all day. He obviously rucked a large portion of the game and still managed to kick 4 goals. That IS a domination.

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 11:47 AM
You missed the point.

He kicked 4 goals, but still had the most hitouts in the team, so he wasn't just parked at FF all day. He obviously rucked a large portion of the game and still managed to kick 4 goals. That IS a domination.

Yep three more contested marks is huge, especially when they're taken inside F50, the by-product of these are his four goals = massive. Tackles / disposal numbers are irrelevant in the assessment of this player type. Simply put there were two big men on the field vying for the same position in the senior team, one took 4 contested marks and kicked four goals and the other took one contested mark and kicked one goal. Both had similar numbers (including hit outs) across the balance of their respective stats.

Campbell put his hand up to play against the Swans in a big way.

The Doctor
30-04-2015, 11:48 AM
I'd like to see Campbell come in.

His ability in the forward line is under rated in my view. He is the better forward of the 3 ruckmen we have quite easily. He kicks goals early in the match too, not junk time goals.

When Boyd went into the ruck we missed not having a big target up forward. Campbell will give us that in spades as he contests hard and will bring the ball to our crumbers if he can't mark it.

Cordy, now that we have gone with him, should be given more of a chance to see if he can find his way at this level so Campbell may have to keep playing well in the reserves and force his way in by sheer weight of numbers, the way it should be.

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 11:52 AM
You missed the point.

Either that or Will was comprehensively beaten in the middle which doesn't bode well for him either.

whythelongface
30-04-2015, 12:14 PM

His ability in the forward line is under rated in my view. He is the better forward of the 3 ruckmen we have quite easily. He kicks goals early in the match too, not junk time goals.

When Boyd went into the ruck we missed not having a big target up forward. Campbell will give us that in spades as he contests hard and will bring the ball to our crumbers if he can't mark it.

He showed this ability in a few games in late 2013. He just needs to become more consistent and we will have a player. Can we play Campbell and Cordy in the same team? I wouldn't have thought so due to Cordy's limitations when he goes forward. It really is either one of Minson, Campbell and Cordy as rucks with Roughead and Boyd rotating with them in this role. The problem with that it exposes our backline when Roughead rucks and weakens our forward structure when Boyd rucks. However as you say with Campbell at least he can play in the forward line and can clunk a mark or two or at least make a contest.

In saying that I thought Ayce performed well enough (around the ground) to warrant at least one or two more weeks to show what he has to offer.

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 12:23 PM

I get the feeling Tom Boyd will be rested this week.

I'm not sure we can afford to carry 2 of Cordy, Campbell and Minson in what's looking like horrid coniditons.

Even though I agree Campbell probably deserves a shot on form, would Minson be the ideal man to play this week and ruck 90% of the game? With a chop out from Roughy when Tippett is rucking for Pyke.

Out - Cordy
In - Minson

We wait and see what the conditions are like 90 minutes before bounce. If It's horrific Boyd comes out for Hunter? If it's not too bad Boyd stays in to provide that contest up forward.

Ozza
30-04-2015, 12:30 PM
You still need big blokes in the wet. You can be sure that Buddy and Tippett will still be dangerous and effective in wet conditions. In fact, both have been quite dominant in the wet on occasions previously.

Boyd should definitely play - as he is crucial to the structure, and even if he isn't marking - he will be able to bring the ball down in front to give the other forwards a chance.

Happy Days
30-04-2015, 12:38 PM
The expectations on Cordy's performance are really mitigating the lens through which he is viewed. Make no mistake about it, he was terrible on the weekend. I mentioned this elsewhere but at half time, Jacobs had more hitouts to advantage than Cordy had hitouts (thanks to the draconian institutions that are the AFL and Champion Data I can't find the full time numbers), and his dominance was directly the reason why we got beaten soundly out of the middle of the ground and in clearance situations.

His supposed around the ground strength manifested itself in 10 disposals, featuring 4 clangers. If Campbell is performing as listed above in the VFL then there's no chance he doesn't offer more than Cordy right now.

F'scary
30-04-2015, 12:44 PM
The expectations on Cordy's performance are really mitigating the lens through which he is viewed. Make no mistake about it, he was terrible on the weekend. I mentioned this elsewhere but at half time, Jacobs had more hitouts to advantage than Cordy had hitouts (thanks to the draconian institutions that are the AFL and Champion Data I can't find the full time numbers), and his dominance was directly the reason why we got beaten soundly out of the middle of the ground and in clearance situations.

His supposed around the ground strength manifested itself in 10 disposals, featuring 4 clangers. If Campbell is performing as listed above in the VFL then there's no chance he doesn't offer more than Cordy right now.

Add the horses-for-courses premise (wet track in Sydney) to the argument and one of Minson or Campbell must come in to the senior line up and Cordy plays first ruck in the VFL.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2015, 02:28 PM

Not mentioning his goal? Just saying....viewed through any lense one likes, a goal is a goal.

boydogs
30-04-2015, 02:32 PM

Cordy, now that we have gone with him, should be given more of a chance to see if he can find his way at this level so Campbell may have to keep playing well in the reserves and force his way in by sheer weight of numbers, the way it should be.

If Campbell plays in place of Cordy, Boyd will still be needed when Campbell is on the bench

The problem with that it exposes our backline when Roughead rucks and weakens our forward structure when Boyd rucks

Which is why Roughy following their 2nd ruck around all day makes sense

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 02:44 PM

The MC seems hell bent on ensuring Cordy succeeds because we've given up so much in the hope that he will. He has good pedigree, is tall, mobile and excelled as a junior and because of that he has been given every opportunity when others who have shown more have been de-listed. Notwithstanding the time and energy we've put into developing him, a large part of the reason why he's been retained is, in my opinion, because we've had such rotten luck with big men generally.

Even though the conditions won't suit him he wasn't terrible enough to drop so I expect him to remain in the team this evening.
My hope is that we as a club understand where our threshold is with him and that he doesn't win games of football based on where his ceiling is perceived to be, rather than what he is actually contributing to the team on weekly basis. I'm not saying this is happening because I don't know what his directives are, but if we simply plan to keep playing him at all costs because we think he could be the best option rather than he is the best option then we may find that we are put under pressure by other clubs seeking the services of Minson and Campbell at season's end. Not to mention that it seems we are loathe to play and develop any of the two in the same side simultaneously.

Having three completely different ruckmen all providing roughly the same output at AFL level (in completely different ways) is a unique position for us. We've always had one core ruckman and an understudy, as have most clubs over the foreseeable past. I just hope by bringing Cordy in we are developing the right one, although I'm sure based on Campbell's VFL form he'll get his chance as well, hopefully.

Happy Days
30-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Not mentioning his goal? Just saying....viewed through any lense one likes, a goal is a goal.

This totally illustrates the point I'm making. In the face of all empirical and visual evidence suggesting otherwise, we're supposed to be satiated because he kicked a goal?

Greystache
30-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Yep three more contested marks is huge, especially when they're taken inside F50, the by-product of these are his four goals = massive. Tackles / disposal numbers are irrelevant in the assessment of this player type. Simply put there were two big men on the field vying for the same position in the senior team, one took 4 contested marks and kicked four goals and the other took one contested mark and kicked one goal. Both had similar numbers (including hit outs) across the balance of their respective stats.

I agree for the most part but the criticism of Campbell from McCartney was his lack of defensive pressure. 6 tackles at least shows it seems to have improved.

I agree, I couldn't understand why he wasn't playing regularly last year. He was criticized for not applying enough defensive pressure in the forward 50m, but the question should have been why the hell did we structure our forward line in such a way as he would routinely be the only player within 80m of goal. He never gets outmarked, can guide to ball down to a hotspot, and is a credible threat in the air requiring defenders be accountable. Add in the fact that he can kick goals and that's a valuable player. Play some small forwards at his feet (instead of them being one of the 16 players around the ball) and we have a dangerous set up. It's basically what we're doing with T Boyd and it's working. Campbell could take some of the pressure off Boyd and like you said give us a target when Boyd has a spell in the ruck.

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 06:50 PM

Tex Walker also kicked a goal.

F'scary
30-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Let's cut to the chase - Cordy was mediocre last week for the third week in a row. The wet Sydney track won't suit him. Either Minson or Campbell should come in. I'd go with Minson, wet track will suit his type of game and he'll be pretty revved up having been dropped.

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Has Hamling played at FF in the VFL? Does he show some ability that he would be considered to play FF? Interesting move though.

Yes, Hamling has played forward for Geelong in the VFL , kicked a bag of five against Sandringham in 2013 , as I stated above it would be a selection based on the flexibility he would provide in the expected wet conditions, I suppose you could say a Harry Taylor type role but starting at FF

GVGjr
30-04-2015, 07:24 PM
In Roberts, Out Grant.

Interesting selection.

Cyberdoggie
30-04-2015, 07:26 PM
In Roberts, Out Grant.

Interesting selection.

Looks like Roberts is in for that extra tall forward possibility of the swans.

bornadog
30-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Has Roberts done enough to get in? Must be purely for match ups. Cordy gets another go.

No Hunter?

chef
30-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Not disappointed to see Grant dropped, doesn't do enough for mine.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2015, 07:31 PM
I'm interested in BT's take on this.

Greystache
30-04-2015, 07:32 PM
In Roberts, Out Grant.

Interesting selection.

Interesting selection indeed. I'm trying to think what the plan is. Grant out was expected, but I thought Talia vs Franklin and Roughead vs Tippet is a good match up. I expected Hunter to come in or if we went tall we'd go with Campbell.

Is Roberts going to play in defence?

F'scary
30-04-2015, 07:34 PM
I guess when some guys get cut at the end of the season they can't say they weren't given a go.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Interesting selection indeed. I'm trying to think what the plan is. Grant out was expected, but I thought Talia vs Franklin and Roughead vs Tippet is a good match up. I expected Hunter to come in or if we went tall we'd go with Campbell.

It seems unbalanced with Roberts down back too.

chef
30-04-2015, 07:35 PM

Maybe he'll take their 3rd tall(Reid if he swings that way or Goodes/Pyke) forward.

GVGjr
30-04-2015, 07:36 PM

I suspect the Roberts selection might allow Roughead a chance to do some extra ruck work in the wet conditions.

On form I would have had some others ahead of him.

Remi Moses
30-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Cordy deserves more than one game as first ruck ( thought he got better as the game went on)
Grant's a bit stiff, but I think there will be late changes due to the conditions .
I thought it only rains in Melbourne?
We've heard Gould and Ray Warren talk about our weather constantly when they do Storm games

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 07:40 PM
On a separate note I'm glad McGlynn is out for them. He always plays well against us and I thought the conditions would suit him .

Greystache
30-04-2015, 07:43 PM
I suspect the Roberts selection might allow Roughead a chance to do some extra ruck work in the wet conditions.

I guess so but I thought the idea of Roughead following Tippet around the ground was a good option, I didn't feel we needed extra tall defensive cover. I would've thought Hamling would've been next in line as a 3rd tall defender anyway.

bulldogtragic
30-04-2015, 07:44 PM

He's got to take his medicine and work even harder. History says he plays to the level of footy which isn't great for him, all we can ask for his to fight for a spot back. I wouldn't have made this swap, but that's irrelevant. He probably needs to amp on the pressure on Dickson with good form in the VFL. It's simple really, he needs to fight back for a spot and I hope he does.

G-Mo77
30-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Roberts is a surprise in, wet day and we seem a little tall. Goodes wouldn't have been a bad in considering the conditions of the game.

Grant stiff but it's not a surprise.

F'scary
30-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Jarrad Grant is a bit stiff to get dropped based on the Adelaide game alone but I suppose it is the cumulative effect of a succession of games producing only modest possession tallies. It would have been a close call between him, Dickson, Hrovat and Smith (acknowledging that the last two have only just come back into the side). I can't believe the Ayce gets another game but there you have it.

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Have to assume Roberts has been brought in as option cover for Reid and Goodes , he is a solid match up for both of them and also cover the role I thought Hamling could play
Interesting to see that the Swans have 3 players around 190cm on the bench

F'scary
30-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Could be a real pleasure watching the return of Adam Goodes.

always right
30-04-2015, 09:00 PM
I suspect Grant is an unlucky out as the forecast wet weather is unlikely to suit his light body. Roberts is in to allow Roughy to spend some time in the ruck. Personally I would have liked to see Hamling in.

G-Mo77
30-04-2015, 09:05 PM
I suspect Grant is an unlucky out as the forecast wet weather is unlikely to suit his light body. Roberts is in to allow Roughy to spend some time in the ruck. Personally I would have liked to see Hamling in.

Same here. Didn't see last week but have watched him closely in the pre-season (VFL and AFL) and seemed well ahead of Roberts. I talked about my concerns with Roberts after Rd1 VFL. I hope we've got enough tape and masseuses to keep him going for the whole game.

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Have to assume Roberts has been brought in as option cover for Reid and Goodes , he is a solid match up for both of them and also cover the role I thought Hamling could play
Interesting to see that the Swans have 3 players around 190cm on the bench

I think so. I can't see another match up for him so I reckon he's in for Goodes. Goodes is coming from a fair way back and will be eased into the season. I don't expect to see him in the middle so will either play forward all game or come on as sub. If it's the latter it's Reid he'll need to cover as you say, either that or Roberts plays the Redpath role at CHF, although you don't really play a CHF at the SCG.

Personally I'd trust Wood with the Goodes / Reid role in trying conditions but we probably want to free him up.

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Has Roberts done enough to get in? Must be purely for match ups. Cordy gets another go.

No Hunter?

Named emergency.

I think we all know BT's take on this :D

I would've liked to see Hammer get the nod, thought he has been the better player of the past two VFL matches.

Grant being dropped makes sense if his primary role the past few weeks has been simply to help stop the quick rebound coast-to-coast goals that West Coast dropped on us. This isn't as likely to occur this weekend in the conditions so it diminishes Grant's offering to the side.

Roberts vs Goodes looms as a very interesting contest, if that's what the match up ends up being.

In regards to Melbourne raining more, it's a myth. Too cold, our winters are actually quite dry. Sydney gets more rain every year, we're just colder and more inconsistent down here in "Mexico".

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Hamling is as skinny as a rake I'm not surprised it's Roberts in front of him in the wet (and it's going to be wet). Same applies to Grant actually, going to be a hard, contested contest, great challenge for us.

boydogs
30-04-2015, 09:28 PM
I wonder what the players are thinking with the left field selection decisions. The round 1 side made sense, and the round 2 change of Redpath (subbed off) out for Cordy (VFL BOG) did too, but since then it could best be described as experimental

LostDoggy
30-04-2015, 09:30 PM
I wonder what the players are thinking with the left field selection decisions. The round 1 side made sense, and the round 2 change of Redpath (subbed off) out for Cordy (VFL BOG) did too, but since then it could best be described as experimental

It really means every single spot on the list is up for grabs if the coach is in "let's throw Oddjob into the mix and see what happens" mode.

F'scary
30-04-2015, 09:42 PM
It really means every single spot on the list is up for grabs if the coach is in "let's throw Oddjob into the mix and see what happens" mode.

If we have a bad loss or even two (Saints? hard to believe but anyway), Bevo might have to rethink the selection policy and go a bit more for the here-and-now.

1eyedog
30-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Well suck and see I suppose. Everything Bevo has touched so far has turned to gold!

FrediKanoute
30-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Jarrad Grant is a bit stiff to get dropped based on the Adelaide game alone but I suppose it is the cumulative effect of a succession of games producing only modest possession tallies. It would have been a close call between him, Dickson, Hrovat and Smith (acknowledging that the last two have only just come back into the side). I can't believe the Ayce gets another game but there you have it.

Actually I thought Ayce was ok. Yes beaten in the hit outs, but his abilty to affect a contest around the ground meant that Jacob's output was largely nullified.

Bulldog4life
30-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Actually I thought Ayce was ok. Yes beaten in the hit outs, but his abilty to affect a contest around the ground meant that Jacob's output was largely nullified.

Brereton and Terry Wallace both commented positively about Cordy's game too

bornadog
30-04-2015, 10:46 PM
If we have a bad loss or even two (Saints? hard to believe but anyway), Bevo might have to rethink the selection policy and go a bit more for the here-and-now.

As long as we win, I don't care who is playing.

Webby
30-04-2015, 10:46 PM
What's the deal with "Slater & Gordon" being named on all four flanks?!

Greystache
30-04-2015, 11:50 PM
What's the deal with "Slater & Gordon" being named on all four flanks?!

They signed up as sponsors last week. They're the official coaches sponsor.

Remi Moses
01-05-2015, 12:00 AM

He's been talking about being in exploration mode, so I'd say that's what we're seeing.

bornadog
01-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Luke Beveridge has made one change to the Bulldogs’ line-up that defeated Adelaide, with defensive depth a focus as Fletcher Roberts comes into the side to face Sydney.

Roberts has been impressive throughout the VFL practice matches and opening two rounds, and was named emergency in the AFL team for round three, but will this week get his first chance at senior football for 2015.

Roberts brings height and will aid Jordan Roughead and Michael Talia in the Dogs’ back six as they attempt to curb the influence of a dominant Sydney forward line which includes Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett.

I can see why Roberts comes in.

Doc26
01-05-2015, 12:03 AM
Both Roughead and Stringer copped injuries last week which may have raised some concern at selection this week. Given this, coupled with the need to cover all of Tippet, Franklin, Goodes, Reid and to an extent Pyke, Fletcher at least offers the greatest flexibility to cover their talls whether it be in the forward half, defense or in limited ruck support if required. Hopefully he can step up and surprise us like Talia has come on this season.

Remi Moses
01-05-2015, 01:35 AM
Blimey 14 players with 50 games or less experience!
Probably haven't that inexperienced since inception in 1925!

jeemak
01-05-2015, 01:52 AM
Grant hasn't ever struck me as a player suited to heavy and wet conditions, and if you couple that with so so (if not divisive) form over the past few weeks it's reasonable enough he doesn't play.

I'm a bit surprised that Roberts is the player to come in, however, he can be used in key posts across the ground and can account for some taller players from the opposition heading towards our goals.

I find it funny that some think Cordy's form as a second ruck for two weeks should be coupled with the form of only his second game as a first ruck, but there you have it. I suppose it shows the gulf in how the two positions are perceived, versus how they need to be played, and what's required to play them.

kruder
01-05-2015, 02:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised If Stringer doesn't play hence Roberts or even Roughead could play forward with Hunter a late in.

If it is the case I would have thought Redpath would have been the go.

kruder
01-05-2015, 02:06 AM
Both Roughead and Stringer copped injuries last week which may have raised some concern at selection this week. Given this, coupled with the need to cover all of Tippet, Franklin, Goodes, Reid and to an extent Pyke, Fletcher at least offers the greatest flexibility to cover their talls whether it be in the forward half, defense or in limited ruck support if required. Hopefully he can step up and surprise us like Talia has come on this season.

Apologies thought along similar lines...

ratsmac
01-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Roberts in for Grant is a ok IMO. With the SCG likely to be waterlogged it will slow things down a fair bit. It's likely that there will be a lot of stoppages which will expose Grant's light frame around the contest. This is why I think I would have preferred Minson or Campbell over Cordy as well. Cordy will be made an example of on Saturday. He'll miss next week with soreness.
I think Dickson has used up his free pass for his early good form in the first 2 rounds as well. He needs to play well against Sydney because Hunter is breathing down his neck.
Hamling must be close to getting a run as well..

Mantis
01-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Strange move.. Understand why Grant goes out, but miffed about the choice of a replacement.

S Coast Simon
01-05-2015, 10:11 AM
I think it might be to cover Sam Reid. Just have Fletcher follow him all day. Looking at our team we seem to have a match up for everyone of the Swans now. Will be an interesting game I am looking forward to seeing how we go.

Happy Days
01-05-2015, 11:40 AM
:(

Weird selection given the conditions. At a guess Roberts is going to sit in the hole and stop Tippett and Bud from getting clean looks in, but his form has been average at best.

Plus it's going to piss down, and we picked another tall dude.

On the plus side, Sydney's selections are equally as iffy. Dropping one of their best wet weather players?

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-05-2015, 12:22 PM

This is a great opportunity to see if Roberts has the goods against quality opposition. He does have the flexibility to play back or forward which is a plus particularly with Bevo being keen to play Roughy on the ball and up forward in addition to in defence. Roberts has been promising plenty for some time now and needs to step up.Grant has been a big disappointment for too long and has been fortunate to escape being delisted before now.

Twodogs
01-05-2015, 03:56 PM
I think it might be to cover Sam Reid. Just have Fletcher follow him all day. Looking at our team we seem to have a match up for everyone of the Swans now. Will be an interesting game I am looking forward to seeing how we go.

I think you're right.

bornadog
01-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Open training at SCG

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CD5fmTtUUAAOwVt.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CD5fT5uVAAALtOg.jpg

Scorlibo
01-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Yeah Grant a little bit unlucky but if he doesn't stamp himself on games (and he hasn't) then he leaves himself open to be dropped for form players from the level below. He'll be back, he's a more complete and physical player now than in previous years.

F'scary
01-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Looking at the footage on the WB website of the SCG training session today, I couldn't see that the ground was particularly adversely affected by the wet weather up there.

LostDoggy
01-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Looking at the footage on the WB website of the SCG training session today, I couldn't see that the ground was particularly adversely affected by the wet weather up there.
The drainage system can cope with the weather as it is at the moment , they have had about 35mm since 9am , on Sat they are expecting about 50mm with heavier falls expected if the Low Pressure system pushes further down the NSW Coast

Happy Days
01-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Open training at SCG

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CD5fmTtUUAAOwVt.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CD5fT5uVAAALtOg.jpg

Are you up there BAD? If so, any of the emergencies travel up?

GVGjr
01-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Strange move.. Understand why Grant goes out, but miffed about the choice of a replacement.

Who would have been your replacement?

azabob
01-05-2015, 08:36 PM

Those photos were posted by the club on social media.

bornadog
02-05-2015, 12:19 AM

I am afraid I am not.

kruder
02-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Dam Stringer is a beast! Just seeing him in that pic gets me excited! Was just watching the 3rd quarter again from last week he was breathtaking.

Can anyone in the AFL boast a goal highlights package like him over the last 12 months? Can anyone remember a more imposing and exciting player to wear the bulldogs colours?

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2015, 12:55 AM
I can understand why Roberts is in from a strategic standpoint.

He gives us coverage in defense, ruck and forward if we needed it.

Eg.
--> He goes back, Roughy gives Cordy a spell in the ruck.
--> If we're under the pump down back and need Rough, Roberts can help double team in the air OR goes to FF and Boyd gives Cordy a spell in the ruck

On form, he's behind Redpath/Minson/Hamling as forward/ruck/defender positions are concerned, but he's more flexible than those three. It's an interesting selection - could work out very well, and it is time Roberts performs or sinks/gets delisted at year's end. I don't mind this one.

Twodogs
02-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Dam Stringer is a beast! Just seeing him in that pic gets me excited! Was just watching the 3rd quarter again from last week he was breathtaking.

Can anyone in the AFL boast a goal highlights package like him over the last 12 months? Can anyone remember a more imposing and exciting player to wear the bulldogs colours?

Kelvin Templeton in his Brownlow year. He was unbelievable.

KT31
02-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Wasn't to bad in 78 and 79 either with 118 and 91 goals, that three year period was when I had my first man crush.
Devastated the next season and really from then on he was never the same.
Jake while not quite there yet has that same imposing look as KT and hopefully (unlike KT) he will haunt our opposition backman for many years to come.

SonofScray
02-05-2015, 10:03 AM
I can understand why Roberts is in from a strategic standpoint.

He gives us coverage in defense, ruck and forward if we needed it.

Eg.
--> He goes back, Roughy gives Cordy a spell in the ruck.
--> If we're under the pump down back and need Rough, Roberts can help double team in the air OR goes to FF and Boyd gives Cordy a spell in the ruck

On form, he's behind Redpath/Minson/Hamling as forward/ruck/defender positions are concerned, but he's more flexible than those three. It's an interesting selection - could work out very well, and it is time Roberts performs or sinks/gets delisted at year's end. I don't mind this one.
I felt Fletch was in line for a call up on form. He hasn't torn things up at VFL but in the games I have seen I walked away confident he could do a job defensively in the seniors if needed. His hands have been solid and has been working really hard up and down the field to make a lot of contests, being an option up the line when we are struggling to break it out of the backline. Can see him following Reid or working through the game up around the wing on the smaller field.

kruder
02-05-2015, 10:12 AM

My dad said the same thing I was born in 81 so didn't get a chance to watch him.Doggies supporters have been through a lot but gee to have the talent of Stringer and Bonti etc on the list... Exciting times!

F'scary
02-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Kelvin Templeton, one of the best CHF's ever and received the accolades to prove it - Coleman & Brownlow. As good as Carey, etc. Career cut shorter by injury but still a significant career in terms of seasons and games played.