PDA

View Full Version : The last great man on man contest

Twodogs
21-04-2015, 03:46 PM
I was thinking today about that match up years ago between Griffen and Ablett at Etihad. It was epic stuff watching two two such talented kids fighting for the ball. It really had the crowd out of their seats.

We don't really see contests like that in modern footy. Players don't really play on one another anymore unless it's a tagger using mainly negative skills to stop another player from winning too much of the footy.

What match ups would you like to see?

Maddog37
21-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I enjoyed watching Cyril and Dal compete for the footy.

Greystache
21-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Brad Johnson and Heath Shaw used to shake hands before and after the game and not see each other for 2 hours in between. Shaw used to rack up 30+ against us and I guess the hope was if Johnson could kick 3-4 goals we'd break even. We didn't really believe in forwards being defensive in the 2000's.

westdog54
21-04-2015, 04:22 PM
I was thinking today about that match up years ago between Griffen and Ablett at Etihad. It was epic stuff watching two two such talented kids fighting for the ball. It really had the crowd out of their seats.

We don't really see contests like that in modern footy. Players don't really play on one another anymore unless it's a tagger using mainly negative skills to stop another player from winning too much of the footy.

What match ups would you like to see?

Funny you say that, a mate of mine and I were saying the other day that we'd love to see Bontempelli and Fyfe go at each other in around 12 months time. No tags, just a one on one battle.

bornadog
21-04-2015, 04:56 PM
One of the greatest rivalries for us was Hawkins and Dipper in the 1980's, especially in season 1985 when they played four games against each other.

Webby
21-04-2015, 05:22 PM
One of the greatest rivalries for us was Hawkins and Dipper in the 1980's, especially in season 1985 when they played four games against each other.

It was a great rivalry for us as Doug had Dipper's measure. Another great rivalry was Doug v Robbie Flower, however Flower had Doug's measure. Albeit Flower was a bit older and in his peak for most of their meetings.

Happy Days
21-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Bontempelli and Martin two weeks ago was whipping serious arse until Hardwick moved Martin to CHF for whatever reason.

I really liked Buddy vs. Scott Thompson in Tassie a few years ago too.

westdog54
21-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Bontempelli and Martin two weeks ago was whipping serious arse until Hardwick moved Martin to CHF for whatever reason.

I really liked Buddy vs. Scott Thompson in Tassie a few years ago too.

Its that the day Buddy put 13 past North?

Carey and Jakovich never put on a bad show.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Lake and Hawkins have had some good duels.

Sandi v Nic Nat.

Agree that a Bonti v Fyfe in 12 months time would be awesome, ditto Libba v Selwood.

ratsmac
21-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Lake v Franklin was good for a while. Franklin took us apart in that final in 2008. But after that Lake definitely had his measure!

bornadog
21-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Lake v Franklin was good for a while. Franklin took us apart in that final in 2008. But after that Lake definitely had his measure!

Only took us apart when Morris was put on him in the first half, Bad coaching mistake.

Twodogs
21-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Fullbacks and full forwards will always be there I guess. Although fullbacks have kind of evolved into Alex Rances that hardly ever spends any time deep in defence when Richmond have the ball.

boydogs
21-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Picken v Harvey :D

LostDoggy
22-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Libba vs Knights ;)

Ghost Dog
22-04-2015, 01:00 PM

Brian was always good at falling over him and rubbing his head into the turf. One match against the Hawks, Brian cut off everything coming his way for a whole half. A 'Purple patch' as Clarkson described it after the game. At that point, they had him in their recruiting sights.

Sedat
22-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Lake and Hawkins have had some good duels.
They were good for us - Lakey used to tear Hawkins a new one every time

1eyedog
22-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Stewart Loewe and Keenan Reynolds had some good tussles. Despite giving away an enormous amount of height and weight Reynolds performed particularly well against 'buckets'.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-04-2015, 01:57 PM

I remember a kickout to Hawkins with DiPierdomenico standing shoulder to shoulder and them using their strength against each other, with surprisingly Doug moving at the last minute to grab the mark and the brownlow medalist just shaking his head as he stood with his hands up on the mark. Dipper was twice the size of Doug!

BornInDroopSt'54
22-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Fullbacks and full forwards will always be there I guess. Although fullbacks have kind of evolved into Alex Rances that hardly ever spends any time deep in defence when Richmond have the ball.

Rance v Franklin is a good contest. Rance has a good record against him.

SquirrelGrip
22-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Matthew Croft v Wayne Carey was a great day!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-04-2015, 08:56 PM

Wasn't it? Crofty was magnificent that day. Used to like Kennedy v Rhys Jones and Foster v Kernahan too

bornadog
22-04-2015, 09:02 PM

The next day he was in our office (at the place I was working then) talking to the marketing manager and I walked past and couldn't believe my eyes. The Marketing manager called me in and we had a great chat about his performance against Carey.