PDA

View Full Version : Michael Talia

boydogs
27-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Just wanted to give this bloke a slap on the back. We needed someone to step up as our CHB this year and he has done that and more

He has destroyed some of the best forwards in the competition in Jack Riewoldt, Josh Kennedy and Taylor Walker. Quite remarkable given he was playing VFL last season

Well done and keep up the good work

Go_Dogs
27-04-2015, 02:30 PM
He's been fantastic, and still has a lot of improvement in him. I wonder how he would've gone if given an opportunity last year?

Hopefully his brother decides to come across after yesterday too - we'd suddenly have some of the most enviable key defensive stock in the competition.

bornadog
27-04-2015, 02:39 PM
He's been fantastic, and still has a lot of improvement in him. I wonder how he would've gone if given an opportunity last year?

He was not happy last year with his treatment by the previous coach. Macca wanted him to play a different style, which really didn't suit him. Under Bevo he has been given a new release and he has been playing good defensive but creative football.

Greystache
27-04-2015, 02:40 PM

Hopefully his brother decides to come across after yesterday too - we'd suddenly have some of the most enviable key defensive stock in the competition.

He was given several opportunities early last season and was very poor, he improved quite a bit in the back end of the season. From what I'd heard BMac rated him as a good long term player but didn't think he was ready last season. He's had a great start to the year and next week will be a massive challenge.

On the topic of his brother, I can't get over how much holding he gets away with. I see him pretty regularly and it's the same thing every week. He certainly gets the Silvagni treatment from the umpires.

Mantis
27-04-2015, 02:55 PM
He was given several opportunities early last season and was very poor, he improved quite a bit in the back end of the season. From what I'd heard BMac rated him as a good long term player but didn't think he was ready last season. He's had a great start to the year and next week will be a massive challenge.

Understand BMac's take on this, but surely he was a better option than Austin?

No bigger challenge than palying on Buddy.. I hope he goes well.

On the topic of his brother, I can't get over how much holding he gets away with. I see him pretty regularly and it's the same thing every week. He certainly gets the Silvagni treatment from the umpires.

Agree on this.. It was like an octopus was playing on Boyd yesterday who I think might have to get assaulted to get a free kick.

always right
27-04-2015, 03:20 PM
I was frustrated by Boyd continually going for marks one handed. How much of this was Talia hanging on and how much was Boyd developing a bad habit?

scottp01
27-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Let's not over look Roughy either. He has stepped up as well. He took a couple of contested marks yesterday that in the past might not have stuck. And it may come from knowing your role and just sticking to it. It seems to be working. Not surprising really though, you'd expect Bevo to sort the defence first.

scottp01
27-04-2015, 03:23 PM
I agree. It looked like he was trying to hold Talia off with one hand. Maybe he was being held.

ledge
27-04-2015, 03:24 PM
A lot of Boyds one handed plays were tap ons, especially up the ground, he will be ok once he does another pre season, remember he is only 19 and getting the best defender every week, Stringers 6 goals are In some ways because if this.
The kid is obviously being told to at least bring it to ground and its working, he will be fine.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Talia has been phenomenal to date. Huge challenge next week but he'll need support from the mids and other defenders.

bornadog
27-04-2015, 03:48 PM

What a joke playing Austin at AFL level. Talia or Roberts should have been in the team.

Agree on this.. It was like an octopus was playing on Boyd yesterday who I think might have to get assaulted to get a free kick.

Boyd has had to put up with being held, wrestled you name it for the 4 games to date, although he was given free kicks v Richmond but the umpire gave us the advantage and goals were kicked by others. Club needs to complain to the umpiring department.

Ozza
27-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Very happy with Talia's start to the year - and is noticeably growing in confidence.

I have liked the set up of having Roughead play on whoever is deepest, and Talia playing a truer centre half back role higher up. Working well - and Easton Wood (and Spider Webb) are certainly giving both big men a good chop out by zoning off theirs and intercepting or spoiling.

Talia, and the rest of this young group of defenders - will have their tough days (maybe even this week against the AFL's team) but the building blocks are there.

Greystache
27-04-2015, 04:21 PM

I don't think there's many that aren't a better option than Austin. I heard he also wanted him to build some chemistry with Roberts and they both couldn't play seniors at the same time. Austin was probably just the sacrificial lamb (along with our points against stat).

ledge
27-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Wait until you see Bailey Dale run off a half back flank, kids got a tank and a leap you won't see to often at his age.
I think he is better than Webb actually.
Shoot me down for saying this but I think Morris is going to struggle for another year contract, not because he isn't a champ but the kids are going to overtake him.
These young kids are coming along nicely.
Quicker more agility and the hunger to win is what you get with young talent.
Morris was at the VFL game yesterday coaching the backs at the breaks.

ratsmac
27-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Wait until you see Bailey Dale run off a half back flank, kids got a tank and a leap you won't see to often at his age.
Shoot me down for saying this but I think Morris is going to struggle for another year contract, not because he isn't a champ but the kids are going to overtake him.

This is exactly what we need. We all love Moz dearly but he needs to be overtaken by youth. If he can't get a game because others have gone past him means that we have some serious defenders. This is the perfect transition.

bornadog
27-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Morris will be 33 by years end, so not sure he has too many years left. Sitting on 196 games, so would be good if he can get to 200.

Great to have a VFL team and keep some players for specilalised coaching roles, after all, they can't all be coaching at AFL level for us.

Maddog37
27-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Let's wait and see how the kids last the year out. Morris is forever underrated it seems, even on here.......

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Morris will be 33 by years end, so not sure he has too many years left. Sitting on 196 games, so would be good if he can get to 200.

Great to have a VFL team and keep some players for specilalised coaching roles, after all, they can't all be coaching at AFL level for us.

It's amazing to think he's only played 196. I'd have him in my view as a 250-gamer if I hadn't known that.

hujsh
27-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Let's wait and see how the kids last the year out. Morris is forever underrated it seems, even on here.......

He's 33. You'd expect some drop off in performance to help the kids to overtake him

Twodogs
27-04-2015, 11:42 PM
Morris didn't start in AFL until late-23 was it?-so that's why he's 33 all of a sudden.

LostDoggy
28-04-2015, 12:13 AM
We need to get him signed right now!