PDA

View Full Version : Dahlhaus - going a bit under the radar

Ozza
27-04-2015, 04:59 PM
With Liberatore, and then Wallis - being out of the midfield due to injury (not to mention some players that shall remain nameless leaving the club), Luke Dahlhaus has stepped into a predominantly midfield role in 2015.

Although Dahlhaus is quite the fan favourite (especially with the young pups supporters) I can't help but feel like his performances are going just a little bit under the radar so far - as the attention has become more focused on the likes of Bonti, Stringer, Macrae, Boyd and Lin Jong.

The bulldogs midfield, and ball movement - appears noticeably quicker this season, and the defensive pressure has been a feature also. Having Dahlhaus go through the midfield for a greater proportion of time is definitely factor. He is bringing tackling pressure, speed and getting involved in handball chains through the middle of the ground - but is also a bit of a contested ball animal.

Consider his performances this season;

Round 1 - 22 disposals (9 contested), 9 tackles, 5 i50s, 3 clearances and a goal.
Round 2 - 23 disposals (10 contested), 8 tackles, 3 i50s, 3 clearances
Round 3 - 29 disposals (11 contested), 5 tackles, 2 i50s, 6 clearances and a goal
Round 4 - 27 disposals (14 contested), 6 tackles, 7 i50s, 4 clearances, a goal and 3 goal assists.
Averages: 25.25 disposals, 11 contested, 7 tackles, 4.25 i50s, 4 clearances.

Consider also that, although it feels like he has been around for a long time, he is still only 22 years old, and the consistency of effort and output from a relatively young player, in stepping up as required by circumstances - is quite outstanding.

Mantis
27-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Good call Ozza.. A real quiet achiever who is having a very good start to the year.

Whilst there are some deficiencies in his game (kickly mainly) he is one player who you can rely to give his all each and every time he pulls on the jumper.. which is all you can ask.

ledge
27-04-2015, 05:09 PM
I think every game he has ever played he had kicked that curler goal from a pack situation

always right
27-04-2015, 05:22 PM
I just wish he could be more damaging with his ball use. Case in point was his kick to Stringer off the back of Murphy surging through the middle in the third quarter. Stringer ended up kicking the goal after Hartigan fumbled the ball but Dahlhaus's kick to him under no pressure was really poor, kicking it to the advantage of Hartigan instead of Stringer.

He has so much going for him, it would be a huge plus for our side if his kicking improved. I guess that's why he ended up being rookied rather than drafted.

lemmon
27-04-2015, 05:27 PM
I have him in the BnF top 3 at this stage, think his effort around the stoppages and pressure has been exceptional while he's beginning to use that pace to more effect further up the ground. You'd love to clean up that kicking and if he did while winning those numbers, he moves into the A-grade bracket of players but I think for a guy that small his clearance work and being able to get first hands on the footy at the bottom of the pack is really something else.

He does the flashy forward work, we're beginning to see more of the contested junkyard dog aspect to his game which are helping those disposal numbers, if he adds some silk to his disposal then we really have a complete player.

Ozza
27-04-2015, 05:46 PM
He is up to 75 games now (in pretty quick time). His output over that time has been super. He just stays involved.

Its not all about disposals (especially not with Dahlhaus who we know has plenty of less measurable traits) but worth noting that only ONCE in his career, he has not reached double figures.
It was his first career game (he had 9 disposals).

Sedat
27-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Would be right up there in B&F voting thus far. Consistency of effort is there every week - difference between his best and worst is very narrow.

lemmon
27-04-2015, 05:54 PM
He is up to 75 games now (in pretty quick time). His output over that time has been super. He just stays involved.

Its not all about disposals (especially not with Dahlhaus who we know has plenty of less measurable traits) but worth noting that only ONCE in his career, he has not reached double figures.
It was his first career game (he had 9 disposals).

And yet I fail to see why Cyril Rioli would be more highly rated amongst media and opposition fans. Does everything Cyril does, perhaps not the flashy high flying grabs, and his skills are not at Cyril's level but his production is far higher and he has actually manage to make the midfield transition.

Mofra
27-04-2015, 05:56 PM
I thought he was brilliant yesterday - had two shots on goal which were chances created from nothing.
His desperation matches our gamestyle perfectly.

bornadog
27-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Brilliant little player, the quickest hand to foot in the team. Only flaw as others have said is his kicking, which has been a concern from year 1.

Maddog37
27-04-2015, 06:46 PM
He has been the spark for us early on in matches and leads the way with his attack on the ball and man. Looks to be enjoying his footy again thankfully.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 06:46 PM
And yet I fail to see why Cyril Rioli would be more highly rated amongst media and opposition fans. Does everything Cyril does, perhaps not the flashy high flying grabs, and his skills are not at Cyril's level but his production is far higher and he has actually manage to make the midfield transition.

I agree with you (RE Cyril vs Dahl) but feel you've answered your own question there. Cyril's attributes make for fantastic viewing, not only at the game but on TV, hence his media stature.

LostDoggy
27-04-2015, 06:47 PM
He really has the yips with his set shots. I actually expect him to miss, it's a real worry.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Good thread, is certainly flying under the radar and having a very good year.

Those stats are significant and demonstrate the consistency he has in his game, which given his midfield transition is relatively recent, is impressive.

josie
27-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Great thread and agree Dahl is under radar. Looked at yest. game stats today and you just expect Dahl to be one of the highest ball getters every week and he delivers.

I am going to start another post about set shots.

LostDoggy
28-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Agree with everything said. Great thread!

It really is hard to believe he is only 22. Albeit he looks young but it feels like he has been around forever!

F'scary
28-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Not with me. I have awarded him a total of 8 votes in the Marmo over the first four rounds.

Round 1: 2
Round 2: 0
Round 3: 4
Round 4: 2

stefoid
28-04-2015, 11:51 PM
He may not have that ooh-ahh clinically damaging disposal, but he always seems to be there getting the ball forward to another teammate in some way - You rarely seem him chipping sideways and that sort of stuff.

And wasnt he leading the league for pressure acts last year or something?

whythelongface
29-04-2015, 12:01 AM
Good pick up Ozza as he appears to be leading the stats but, as you say, is flying under the radar due to the sheer brilliance of the Bont and Stringer. He really puts his heart and soul into the club and is a real workhorse. I remember thinking at some stage last year that he could be good trade value - not based on his stats or performances but just thought we could nab another KPP through trading a player such as Dahlhaus. Crazy thoughts indeed.

stefoid
29-04-2015, 12:21 AM
FWIW, pro-stats still has "scoring involvement" stat free to look at.

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/team_player_rankings?yr=2015&sp=SE&rt=TA&fc=E15&tid=115

Everything Bont touches turns to gold, but we already knew that.

Dicko and Dal are right behind him though.

ledge
29-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Bonti did the usual crash through 3 players or just keep going even with three players hanging off them. He did both on Sunday and both brought goals. Thing is if you have guys like this, Stringer, bonti and Smith it means we have two guys free, get in there Dalhaus Dickson, Hrovat and take the advantage they give you.

bornadog
29-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Some great highlights from Sunday.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-04-28/dahlhaus-dominates

craigsahibee
29-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Certainly not the most talented on our list, but without doubt one of the most consistent. Luke's ability to stay involved in the contest is fantastic and his overhead marking is pound for pound, the equal of anyone else in the competition. His stats indicate that he is having a great year and I'm sure the match committee are rewarding him with votes.

Ozza
29-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Fox Footy have done a 'Team of the Month' for April.

Dahlhaus named in the forward pocket, along with Murphy half back, and Bontempelli on the interchange.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Although playing midfield this year, Dahl is leading the AFL for inside 50 ground gets. Sitting a top one more than Eddie Betts. Saw this stat on Fox Footy just now, surprised me a bit.

Twodogs
20-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Although playing midfield this year, Dahl is leading the AFL for inside 50 ground gets. Sitting a top one more than Eddie Betts. Saw this stat on Fox Footy just now, surprised me a bit.

Nothing Dahl does suprises me anymore. He's an amazing player having an incredible year.

ratsmac
20-07-2015, 10:49 PM

That is surprising but more surprising is they have category for that on the stat sheet. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of stats they come up with.

merantau
20-07-2015, 11:09 PM
The thing I like about Dahlhaus is his desire for the ball which brings about his second and even third efforts. He really gives his all for the club. This was the thing I first noticed about him when he was playing for Willy. Also the first thing I noticed about Magic McLean when I first saw him play for the twos. He just NEVER gave up the chase. Dahl is the same. Will poll well in the Brownlow as well as the B&F. He's the sort of player that umpires respect a great deal. Small, courageous, in danger of being smashed for a good part of the game but never waivers, is able to execute under immense pressure (think his snapped goal in the last quarter against the Suns) never back chats - just gets on with the game. Highly respected player who will play 200 plus games for us.

Twodogs
21-07-2015, 12:13 AM
The thing I like about Dahlhaus is his desire for the ball which brings about his second and even third efforts. He really gives his all for the club. This was the thing I first noticed about him when he was playing for Willy. Also the first thing I noticed about Magic McLean when I first saw him play for the twos. He just NEVER gave up the chase. Dahl is the same. Will poll well in the Brownlow as well as the B&F. He's the sort of player that umpires respect a great deal. Small, courageous, in danger of being smashed for a good part of the game but never waivers, is able to execute under immense pressure (think his snapped goal in the last quarter against the Suns) never back chats - just gets on with the game. Highly respected player who will play 200 plus games for us.

And several premierships.

I like is goal sense and the fact he wants to get his hand on the ball in the forward 30 and have a shot. He's just about perferfected that little snap across his body from 20 metres out running away from the goal. He's caught 3 teams out with it just recently. He only needs a second to hit it properly, it's a joy to watch.

Go_Dogs
21-07-2015, 01:53 AM
He's been a good player for a few years now, but like the other 2 blokes he'd be sharing B&F top 3 places with at the moment (Wood and Picken) he'd have a strong case for most improved too. He just never stops working and competing.

soupman
21-07-2015, 08:09 AM
And several premierships.

I like is goal sense and the fact he wants to get his hand on the ball in the forward 30 and have a shot. He's just about perferfected that little snap across his body from 20 metres out running away from the goal. He's caught 3 teams out with it just recently. He only needs a second to hit it properly, it's a joy to watch.
And further to this he doesn't even need to be standing upright when he gets the ball to do it.

Bizarre that he is a much better shot when he picks up and disposes of the ball while in a pack in less than a second while being tackled and without actually looking at the goals than he is from a set shot 30m out. Stringer is the same.

F'scary
21-07-2015, 08:29 AM
He is such a top goal sneak that it would be great if we could afford to play him primarily in the FP. But we can't at the moment with all the injuries to midfielders.

Twodogs
21-07-2015, 10:31 AM
And further to this he doesn't even need to be standing upright when he gets the ball to do it.

Bizarre that he is a much better shot when he picks up and disposes of the ball while in a pack in less than a second while being tackled and without actually looking at the goals than he is from a set shot 30m out. Stringer is the same.

Practice. I watch him and he actually lines up the goal before he gets the ball. He knows where the ball needs to go before he has it. If you watch it is always from the same spot on the ground.

Mofra
21-07-2015, 10:39 AM
I remember his rookie year, intra club at WO (where Huddo hurdled the players on the bench at one point!) and I remember being disappointed that dahl & JJ kept getting the ball. Thought it meant our senior players had dropped off.

bornadog
17-08-2015, 05:45 PM
What a great season Luke is having. He is an absolute terrier throwing himself into packs, gut running, second, third efforts, snapping goals. I love watching him play, gives his all.

Great handpass from Stringer here for a goal.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-16/dahlhaus-pumps-up-the-volume

stefoid
17-08-2015, 05:57 PM
a lazy 32 possesions, 1 goal a nd 4 goal assists for Dal this week.

needs to lift.

Sedat
17-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Without any bias whatsoever, he has to be right in the AA frame for the HFF. I love the Chad, but I think Dahl does more work defensively than Wingard, and involves himself on the scoreboard just about as much (especially factoring in score involvements and goal assists).

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 06:19 PM
500-1 for Brownlow if you don't mind.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-08-2015, 07:17 PM
He goes under the radar because he is so consistent - you expect him to try his heart out every week and he delivers

ledge
17-08-2015, 07:56 PM
500-1 for Brownlow if you don't mind.

Place bet be a good one too I imagine

azabob
17-08-2015, 08:06 PM
What a great season Luke is having. He is an absolute terrier throwing himself into packs, gut running, second, third efforts, snapping goals. I love watching him play, gives his all.

Not often we get to see Stringer handball, let alone on his opposite hand!

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Without any bias whatsoever, he has to be right in the AA frame for the HFF. I love the Chad, but I think Dahl does more work defensively than Wingard, and involves himself on the scoreboard just about as much (especially factoring in score involvements and goal assists).

The Chad will get it due to media profile.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/1f9f093e141223003ed42e49c1879697/tumblr_mheqc7ANrW1qkwxmzo2_250.gif

Twodogs
17-08-2015, 09:44 PM

That was one of those plays where Dahl runs to a spot that he only needs the ball in his hands for a nano second to kick the goal. I knew he'd kick that goal 15 seconds before he got the ball in his hands. He'd managed to get goal side of his opponent and he was running full tilt to his hot spot and his teammates just had to get it to him.

Ozza
18-08-2015, 12:22 AM
The Chad will get it due to media profile.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/1f9f093e141223003ed42e49c1879697/tumblr_mheqc7ANrW1qkwxmzo2_250.gif

Like the Chad vid/reference...but have to disagree with the content. Wingard has been amazing. Not many players in the entire league can change the course of a game like he does. Has kicked 2 goals or more in the last 12 games and at least a goal in every game. He gets 20 disposals a game playing genuinely half forward.

I'm not saying he is necessarily more worthy than Luke D for an AA spot. Both have had amazing seasons. Probably playing different roles as Dahl has been predominantly a mid this season with Libba out.

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 12:46 AM
Why can't they both get in?

There's probably 3 spots for small/med forwards, but it's a pretty hot field this year. Could make a case for Wyngard, Dahl, Stringer, Dickson, Rioli, Betts, Bruest, LeCras, Gunston and probably a few others.

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 02:31 AM
Place bet be a good one too I imagine

Scratch that, into 250-1 and 63-1 for the place.

stefoid
18-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Trade him!!!

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 01:31 AM
Scratch that, into 250-1 and 63-1 for the place.

No doubt LD going great guns, but if I was backing a Dog in the Brownlow, I reckon Mitch is the value each way at similar odds.

If there is one thing umpires notice more than the general football public, it is a clearance king.

Dancin' Douggy
20-08-2015, 03:02 PM
And blonde hair

bornadog
20-08-2015, 05:06 PM
And blonde hair

What do you mean :D

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/eoBDXuHIr28/maxresdefault.jpg

Twodogs
20-08-2015, 05:13 PM
I wonder if Steve's hair is like that if he lets it grow?

bornadog
20-08-2015, 05:17 PM
I wonder if Steve's hair is like that if he lets it grow?

http://www.footycards.com.au/images/watermarked/1/detailed/21/1989_VFL-AFL_Stimorol_Scanlens_91_Steven_Wallis_Footscray_Bulldogs.jp g

Ghost Dog
20-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Luke is certainly living up to the big expectations of those who wear the big 6 at our club.

Bulldog4life
20-08-2015, 07:15 PM
What do you mean :D

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/eoBDXuHIr28/maxresdefault.jpg

Not sure if it had been mentioned but Mitch is on Foxtel's On The Couch next Monday night,

bornadog
20-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Not sure if it had been mentioned but Mitch is on Foxtel's On The Couch next Monday night,

Cheers, won't miss that one. Healy will probably call him Terry, or Steve

Ozza
21-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Cheers, won't miss that one. Healy will probably call him Terry, or Steve

Gerard is terrible with names...but on a positive note - he absolutely loves us and seems always to be in our corner over the years. Good to have one footy commentator/host out there that goes out of his way to give us some air time (and not just this year when we've been the flavour of the month/story of the year).

Greystache
21-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Gerard is terrible with names...but on a positive note - he absolutely loves us and seems always to be in our corner over the years. Good to have one footy commentator/host out there that goes out of his way to give us some air time (and not just this year when we've been the flavour of the month/story of the year).

He really does. I sometimes wonder about it, he jumped on right at the start of our good run at the end of 2013 and called us the next big thing and was really committed to it, then in 2014 when we went nowhere he didn't give up, and now this year he's getting credit for being an oracle. Did he go early in 2013 and then not back off so he didn't look wrong only to be rewarded this year, or did he actually see something that the other media experts didn't.

always right
21-08-2015, 12:13 PM
I think Gerard is the anti-Dwayne.

LostDoggy
21-08-2015, 01:02 PM
GH loves picking up a trend early and loves the unfashionable team. He's also been very quick to defend Freo over the years and identified them as soon as they were building something. Was very quick on the Port bandwagon in 2013 also. Least he's watching and thinking for himself, unlike a few of them.

Eastdog
24-08-2015, 02:00 AM
His been very good this year Dahl. Worked hard today and plays an important role. I describe him as an attacking type mid along with Dicko, Hrovat etc.