PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 5 Edition

Eastdog
30-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Once the Round 5 match against Sydney Swans is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

GVGjr
02-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Surely we will learn more about the quality and application of our boys today

bulldogtragic
02-05-2015, 06:02 PM
This win goes in the memory bank. What a win.
We just got street cred.
I love winning more than I remember.

Jeanette54
02-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Surely we will learn more about the quality and application of our boys today

We learned they have more of both than we ever dared to dream of.

bornadog
02-05-2015, 06:13 PM
We have belief

We have never say die

We are enjoying winning

LostDoggy
02-05-2015, 06:17 PM
1. We have a team who have the smarts and integrity to recognise when they are outmanned, outgunned and outclassed and that winning is going to be pretty tough from here on out…… BUT STICK IT RIGHT UP 'EM ANYWAY!! The way we stood tall in those final minutes when every single football person in the country would've clapped us on the back for a very honourable loss brought tears to my eyes. This is a team with true grit.
2. Murphy is reinforcing something that Gwyphyn forgot: the captaincy is an honour. He has worn the cap brilliantly.
3. My cat doesn't cope very well with me watching the footy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-05-2015, 06:21 PM
1. Murphy is an inspiring leader and has really brought this group together
2. This Bulldog team has the right stuff. We've got a core of guys who love it tough and when it gets tougher they respond with even greater resolve.
3. If we keep doing what we are doing we will play finals in 2015.

stefoid
02-05-2015, 06:25 PM
That we can match the swans on a wet day at the SCG without Libba and Wallis.

Mantis
02-05-2015, 06:26 PM
That was bona fide.. Not sure we are yet, but we are on our way.

Our leaders & experienced players stood up

Our defence found way to hold up under immense pressure.. Good signs.

LostDoggy
02-05-2015, 06:41 PM
1 - It looks like we are one Ruckman short of a complete Team
2 - The media will still find excuses to put us down and/or belittle what we have achieved so far
3 - Its now very difficult not to use the F word

AndrewP6
02-05-2015, 06:54 PM
1. We will be bloody tough with Libba, Morris and Wally back in.
2. We are chock full of heart. I wasn't sure about this last year.
3. The club's development is going well.
4. Mum doesn't like giving high fives after a win. :D

josie
02-05-2015, 06:54 PM
1. We have a team who have the smarts and integrity to recognise when they are outmanned, outgunned and outclassed and that winning is going to be pretty tough from here on out…… BUT STICK IT RIGHT UP 'EM ANYWAY!! The way we stood tall in those final minutes when every single football person in the country would've clapped us on the back for a very honourable loss brought tears to my eyes. This is a team with true grit.
2. Murphy is reinforcing something that Gwyphyn forgot: the captaincy is an honour. He has worn the cap brilliantly.
3. My cat doesn't cope very well with me watching the footy.

Well said re. true captains!!

Our cat hates me watching footy too !! Perchance.... could it be you too throw your arms in the air and yell at the TV too? Fortunately for our cat today game was on was foxtel so other patrons in bar I went to had to put up with me yelling like a maniac in last few minutes - plus the fist pump when the siren went.

Daughter of the West
02-05-2015, 07:04 PM
1. I missed out totally not being able to see the game
2. I need Foxtel
3. Bob Murphy is the purest Bulldog I have personally seen in my lifetime. His elation in the quick post match grab was enough to make me tear up.

Go Dogs!

LostDoggy
02-05-2015, 07:16 PM
1 - It looks like we are one Ruckman short of a complete Team
2 - The media will still find excuses to put us down and/or belittle what we have achieved so far
3 - Its now very difficult not to use the F word
I might be listening to the wrong radio stations but I'm not seeing this. Everything I've read about the Dogs this week has been overwhelmingly positive. If anything, that's more concerning. :D

Well said re. true captains!!

Our cat hates me watching footy too !! Perchance.... could it be you too throw your arms in the air and yell at the TV too? Fortunately for our cat today game was on was foxtel so other patrons in bar I went to had to put up with me yelling like a maniac in last few minutes - plus the fist pump when the siren went.

I may have exerted myself somewhat. It could also have been the "YOU FILTHY GREEN MAGGOT" shouts or the "WOOOOOODIIIIEEEEEEEEE!" at the end there when he picked up that ball with seconds to spare.

westdog54
02-05-2015, 07:23 PM
1. Any doubts about Easton Wood's quality were quashed today.
2. We are a hell of a lot tougher than I gave credit for.
3. If it weren't for Carlton we'd be the most talked about team this week.

hujsh
02-05-2015, 07:25 PM
1. We might not play finals and we might drop away later in the season as injuries, fatigue and inconsistency take hold but we've shown that we are building a core group of players that can compete with and beat the best in the comp. The challenge is to fill the gaps. Murphy will be hard to replace and we need a good 1st ruckman (does Huddo want another shot?) and there's still a tall forward missing from the team but if we can handle filling these gaps and add in Libba and and Wallis to this team who knows what they can achieve
2. If Roberts and Talia can cover the defence, Roughy is our best ruck. Handy to know he can play on the monster talls though.
3. Much as I hate to admit it, Cordy won't make it. If Campbell can play forward I like the idea of Roughead as the 1st choice ruck with the option of Tom paying number one if we need Roughy in defence.

F'scary
02-05-2015, 09:01 PM
1. Sorry to start off on a negative but Minson or Campbell must be brought in as first ruck next week, enough with this experiment.
2. Picken is a duck.
3. Wood is A grade material.

Smads57
02-05-2015, 10:00 PM
1. winning the hit out stats is irrelevant when playing the Bulldogs
2. a team that works together as one is better than a team of highly paid individuals
3. we are a great football team to watch

ledge
02-05-2015, 10:16 PM
We have 3 players who are genuine match winners , the Bont, Stringer, Wood:-)

bulldogtragic
02-05-2015, 10:17 PM

Bit tough on Boyd, Macrae, Libba, Talia, Hrovat and Murphy.

Twodogs
02-05-2015, 10:21 PM

And Murph.

Greystache
03-05-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm wondering when the media will start talking about Tippett not being worth the million dollars a year he's getting. He has less impact than Boyd and has virtually no upside given his age. Compare him side by side with Boyd and he's a bad investment.

hujsh
03-05-2015, 02:15 AM
I'm wondering when the media will start talking about Tippett not being worth the million dollars a year he's getting. He has less impact than Boyd and has virtually no upside given his age. Compare him side by side with Boyd and he's a bad investment.

Almost identical games today stat-wise. Only major difference being Tippets 10 extra hitouts

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 02:33 AM
1. We have no one to fear.

2. We can adapt to any conditions.

3. Better dust the seat belt off and buckle up, we have a seriously good side on our hands.

ledge
03-05-2015, 02:52 AM
Actually I would put this game in the category of old under 10s write ups .. Best players .. Team effort.
Even down to our newest player in Webb they all had something we could mention as a highlight.

Remi Moses
03-05-2015, 02:57 AM

Just finished watching it ( was on gardening duty today) agree on Tippett, he's been disappointing .
Besides that one good season was any good?

Remi Moses
03-05-2015, 03:00 AM
1) Picken is seriously underrated
2) that was 20 games and finals like intensity for our young lads
3) The leadership is outstanding ( Bobs put the team on his shoulders)

Go_Dogs
03-05-2015, 09:13 AM
1. We have belief and internal expectation and pride in performance has grown significantly.

2. Picken has, after a few down games to start the year and I'm sure having a bit of pressure put on him by the MC, responded brilliantly.

3. I've made my little brother as emotionally invested in this great Club as I am. I almost want a flag more for his sake than my own.

azabob
03-05-2015, 09:15 AM

I think Carey or a high profile ex-player now commentator said it last week.

hujsh
03-05-2015, 10:24 AM
On Tippett, one of these is Boyd's stats the other is Tippet's.
You'd have a hard time telling the difference at first glance

Jeanette54
03-05-2015, 10:28 AM
It could also have been the "YOU FILTHY GREEN MAGGOT" shouts.

Get with it BornAScragger'', Is not the new terminology, "Drug addled Fungi", courtesy of First Dog

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Get with it BornAScragger'', Is not the new terminology, "Drug addled Fungi", courtesy of First Dog

Didn't want to infringe on the copyright of a national treasure.

whythelongface
03-05-2015, 02:09 PM
1. We are the real deal. Whilst not looking too far ahead, the potential in this playing group is unlimited and will bring us supporters for many years.
2. Easton Wood is a seriously composed player. Those last few seconds were from a player who has a lot of confidence and backs himself.
3. I am thinking that Roughead maybe the best ruck we have and that may also be the line of thinking of the coaching team.

1eyedog
03-05-2015, 02:23 PM
1. Bob will play for two more years and will see another finals series
2. It doesn't matter who you are, if you bring scoreboard pressure and maintain intensity you can beat anyone under any conditions
3. Fletcher Roberts might just well make it

whythelongface
03-05-2015, 02:33 PM
1. Bob will play for two more years and will see another finals series
2. It doesn't matter who you are, if you bring scoreboard pressure and maintain intensity you can beat anyone under any conditions
3. Fletcher Roberts might just well make it

I was thinking (in regards to Bob) 2 or 3 more years at least if he stays fit- maybe more?. Was also thinking the same thing about Matty Boyd - having a new lease of life and playing some exceptional football could see him play on for a couple more years as well.

Roberts was an astute selection by the MC and did well.

KT31
03-05-2015, 02:48 PM
1.To become a force we really need to address our ruck stocks.
2.Despite two surprise selections in a matter of weeks, the selectors are on the ball and know what they are doing.
3.Umpires really do have Sydney rules and opposition rules.

and a 4th if I may

4.We look to have found our 'Glass Slipper Coach'.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2015, 03:36 PM
1. Loved the way Hrovat made a big difference when he came on as the sub.

2. Bevo in the coaches box you are one cool dude.

3. Talia and Roberts can both be key components in our blackline in years to come.

SlimPickens
03-05-2015, 03:56 PM
3. Talia and Roberts can both be key components in our blackline in years to come.

These two have now played 20-25 games together as the key defensive posts, they had a great understanding of when and where to go at VFL level last year. I hope it continues at AFL level. I've said so previously but I think they have the capabilities to be our key defensive options for many years.

azabob
03-05-2015, 04:09 PM
These two have now played 20-25 games together as the key defensive posts, they had a great understanding of when and where to go at VFL level last year. I hope it continues at AFL level. I've said so previously but I think they have the capabilities to be our key defensive options for many years.

Could their VFL chemistry be the reason why Fletcher was brought in ahead of Hamling?

boydogs
03-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Could their VFL chemistry be the reason why Fletcher was brought in ahead of Hamling?

Yeah maybe. Roberts is listed as 2kg heavier, 2cm taller, 8 games v 0 AFL experience, played more with Talia and others at VFL level. Hamling has been better than Roberts this year in the VFL from reports.

Maybe Roberts offered more flexibility with matchups in being able to play on Buddy or Tippett if needed whilst Hamling may have been restricted to Reid or Goodes. Roberts started on Goodes but then took Tippett when Cordy was subbed off and Roughead went into the ruck

GVGjr
03-05-2015, 09:28 PM
1 - We can win the tight ones even off a 6 day break.
2 - You don't necessarily need the high profile players when they all work hard together.
3 - Potential sponsors and fans who aren't on board with us yet are missing out in a big way.

1eyedog
03-05-2015, 09:32 PM
I was thinking (in regards to Bob) 2 or 3 more years at least if he stays fit- maybe more?. Was also thinking the same thing about Matty Boyd - having a new lease of life and playing some exceptional football could see him play on for a couple more years as well.

Roberts was an astute selection by the MC and did well.

With regard to Bob I was thinking he could play until the end of 2017. But who knows!

Sedat
03-05-2015, 09:41 PM
You might want to send that memo to Leigh Matthews, Wayne Carey and Matthew Lloyd - these 3 are the ringleaders of Operation Trash Talk Tom Boyd. As disgusting and distasteful a media campaign against a kid as you could see.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2015, 09:50 PM
You might want to send that memo to Leigh Matthews, Wayne Carey and Matthew Lloyd - these 3 are the ringleaders of Operation Trash Talk Tom Boyd. As disgusting and distasteful a media campaign against a kid as you could see.

Worse yet is no matter what happens they will claim to be right. If he doesn't somehow get to the level they say I told you so. Or if he does get to the level, they'll say it's good luck and not good management and that the trade intuitively is still a abs one no matter the success from it. I find it tiring getting the excitement of watching Sunday footy programs when we win and there's a thin positivity underlined by bad Boyd talk and Hutchy quizzing Gordon about the preseason for the 3rd time and saying Gordon has not given an explanation or asking questions about exciting wins. Buzz killers.

josie
04-05-2015, 12:01 AM
1.I also agree with others - I think Roughy looks like the best athletic ruckman we have.
2.Dahl/Bonti/Cramers/Jong/Honey/Hrovat etc. - we appear to have amazing midfield depth (even without Wallis & Libba).
3.Roberts and Talia look like a backline dynamic duo. Would love to see Hamling squeezed in somehow as I think he is very promising and reminds me a little of Corey Enright in looks and fluid movement)

As an aside - I love what T Boyd has given to our structure and the way he is clever with body positioning, bringing ball to ground and his lovely kicking for goal. I'm confident, injury permitting, he will be worth the $. I also thought Tippett was pretty good on Saturday.

comrade
04-05-2015, 12:30 AM
1.I also agree with others - I think Roughy looks like the best athletic ruckman we have.
2.Dahl/Bonti/Cramers/Jong/Honey/Hrovat etc. - we appear to have amazing midfield depth (even without Wallis & Libba).
3.Roberts and Talia look like a backline dynamic duo. Would love to see Hamling squeezed in somehow as I think he is very promising and reminds me a little of Corey Enright in looks and fluid movement)

As an aside - I love what T Boyd has given to our structure and the way he is clever with body positioning, bringing ball to ground and his lovely kicking for goal. I'm confident, injury permitting, he will be worth the $. I also thought Tippett was pretty good on Saturday.

Hamling will get a go soon, especially with Morris out for a stretch.

I'm also a fan and look forward to him cementing a spot.

ratsmac
04-05-2015, 08:10 AM
1. Last year we had too many chiefs not enough Indians. We had a good mix right now of men that are all on the same page and each know their place/job in the team and they can carry out instructions.

2. Finals is on the agenda.

3. We are really really well coached. Preparation and game day.

The Doctor
04-05-2015, 05:39 PM
1. We can beat hard bodied experienced teams on their home patch
2. We can beat the above + 3 umpires
3. We can beat anybody.

LostDoggy
05-05-2015, 08:33 PM
1.We can play finals this year.
2.We are the danger.
3.We have all become more bulldog.