PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 6 vs St. Kilda

Eastdog
30-04-2015, 09:20 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 6 match against St. Kilda at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
02-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Bump

bornadog
02-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Biggs had a good game today with 30 disposals, not sure what happened in the rucks. So need to think this out.

Clay had a poor game today, so whether we preserver or let him find form at VFL level?

bulldogtragic
02-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Ins: Campbell/Minson
Outs: Cordy

Hard to change the team from today. Cordy is very average and we need something else. Wallis could do with vfl game if fit. I'd swap Grant for Dickson but I'd be on my own.

bornadog
02-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Hard to change the team from today. Cordy is very average and we need something else. Wallis could do with vfl game if fit. I'd swap Grant for Dickson but I'd be on my own.

Your not allowed to say that :D

azabob
02-05-2015, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of blokes miss due to soreness. Tough game against big bodies.

Massive game against St.Kilda - First game of the year were will be expected to win.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2015, 06:48 PM

The Grant part or the Dickson part. :)

Hotdog60
02-05-2015, 06:52 PM

Dickson had 18 disposals and 9 tackles would Grant offer any more. I think Tory chases better than Grant at this stage. I'd have Cordy in my sights but I don't who else after that. Will have to wait to see how they pull up.

GVGjr
02-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Dickson had 18 disposals and 9 tackles would Grant offer any more. I think Tory chases better than Grant at this stage. I'd have Cordy in my sights but I don't who else after that. Will have to wait to see how they pull up.

That tackle in the first quarter was a ripper. Grant goes okay with his tackling now but I'd stick with Dickson if only because he is a more accurate set shot.

chef
02-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Would be a crazy change IMO.

chef
02-05-2015, 07:02 PM

Agree.

Greystache
02-05-2015, 07:05 PM
In- Campbell
Out- Cordy

You don't want to change a team after a win like today but obviously Cordy can't stay. Campbell should get an extended run now.

LostDoggy
02-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Unchanged (injuries aside).

Greystache
02-05-2015, 07:07 PM

That would be a break out career defining game for some other players on our list :D

jeemak
02-05-2015, 07:14 PM
In - Campbell/Minson and Hunter
Out - Cordy, Smith

Smith needs another run and opportunity to get his hands on the footy more than he is at senior level. Having come back from a knee with two quiet games in the seniors he must be tired and there's no shame in going back for a week or two and regaining some touch.

Cordy isn't strong enough to compete at this level. As I said in the ruck thread, I believe he has all of the attributes to be a first ruck, except strength, and unfortunately that's a huge part of the role.

GVGjr
02-05-2015, 08:32 PM
We are going to have to make a change or two but I wonder how sore some of the boys will be tomorrow.

Mantis
02-05-2015, 08:46 PM
We are going to have to make a change or two but I wonder how sore some of the boys will be tomorrow.

You're only sore when you lose!

There were some tired boys out there so it's safe to think that a couple might struggle to get up.. But I can't see any of them doing so by choice.

F'scary
02-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Just get Cordy out of the team. He is not up to AFL standard. He has had two goes in a row. He has had something like 6+ years in an elite development environment and it does not show at all. We will lose games if we keep on playing him.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2015, 10:22 PM
A few reasons for a change of heart.

1. Put a kid in a winning team full of confidence
2. Blood a kid against a poor team such as St Kilda
3. Reward a kid for good form

So Dale is an in for me. Another rising star nomination for the team would be a cherry.

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 12:05 AM
After such a history making victory against the Swans the lads deserve to play in a packed Etihad Stadium , really need as many people as possible there to make it Red White and Blue

Rocco Jones
03-05-2015, 12:24 AM
I have often defended Ayce as I feel the masses are way too harsh however he clearly isn't our best 1st ruck. I would either bring in Hamling and play Roughy as 1st ruck or play Will or Tom.

I am not going to predict who may pull up sore or not but I definitely believe we need to be clever with looking after our runners. Biggs is my first replacement. I know Hunter has been strong in the VFL but can we trust him to play the Beveridge way? Just the type that may lose concentration and be the weak link in the disicpine chain. Don't get me wrong if we have a couple that are too sore here is one of the next couple in line but I would not go out of our way to play him.

RE: Clay. Typical second game back. Definitely in the side again unless he is too sore. Could use him as a sub.

Rocco Jones
03-05-2015, 12:42 AM
We may have forgotten Mitch. He was apparently close last week. Maybe Honeychurch? Or whoever is too sore.

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 12:43 AM
I have often defended Ayce as I feel the masses are way too harsh however he clearly isn't our best 1st ruck. I would either bring in Hamling and play Roughy as 1st ruck or play Will or Tom.

I am not going to predict who may pull up sore or not but I definitely believe we need to be clever with looking after our runners. Biggs is my first replacement. I know Hunter has been strong in the VFL but can we trust him to play the Beveridge way? Just the type that may lose concentration and be the weak link in the disicpine chain. Don't get me wrong if we have a couple that are too sore here is one of the next couple in line but I would not go out of our way to play him.

RE: Clay. Typical second game back. Definitely in the side again unless he is too sore. Could use him as a sub.

agree. He has simply missed a lot of footy with this team. The best place for him to regain that is right where he is.

Greystache
03-05-2015, 01:42 AM

Really valid point. Would it be like like bringing in a Cooney or a Higgins?

Remi Moses
03-05-2015, 03:18 AM
In Campbell or Will , and Hunter
Out Ayce ( he's just not strong enough, and having Lin have more hit outs is an indictment .)
Smith ( he needs more if the ball at the lower level)
Is Mitch Wallis fit enough yet?

Remi Moses
03-05-2015, 03:19 AM
A few reasons for a change of heart.

1. Put a kid in a winning team full of confidence
2. Blood a kid against a poor team such as St Kilda
3. Reward a kid for good form

So Dale is an in for me. Another rising star nomination for the team would be a cherry.

Play players on form regardless how poor Stkilda are.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Bailey Dale or Biggs and Hunter would be close

jeemak
03-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Just get Cordy out of the team. He is not up to AFL standard. He has had two goes in a row. He has had something like 6+ years in an elite development environment and it does not show at all. We will lose games if we keep on playing him.

Which part of Cordy's game riles you the most? We've just won two games against the odds with him in the side.

F'scary
03-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Which part of Cordy's game riles you the most? We've just won two games against the odds with him in the side.

Sorry but it is the whole package and in my opinion we won both matches a man short with him in the side. Centre bounces - completely ineffective. Stoppages - same. Around the ground - nothing. Yeah, I'm being too mean. He should not have been picked for the match as it was obvious the weather conditions would not suit him.

I wonder if the match committee thought it was time to experiment because they estimated that these were two games we wouldn't win and they wanted to try and get a few questions answered before we hit the run of games we were expected to be a fair chance in.

FrediKanoute
03-05-2015, 07:54 AM
Sorry but it is the whole package and in my opinion we won both matches a man short with him in the side. Centre bounces - completely ineffective. Stoppages - same. Around the ground - nothing. Yeah, I'm being too mean. He should not have been picked for the match as it was obvious the weather conditions would not suit him.

I wonder if the match committee thought it was time to experiment because they estimated that these were two games we wouldn't win and they wanted to try and get a few questions answered before we hit the run of games we were expected to be a fair chance in.

Here's my take on Ayce and the Ruck situation. Bevo doesn't value the ruck contest a critical part of the game. His take (and I am surmising here) is that there is little value in having a ruckman who is big, lumbering and slow (Minson/Campbell) if all they offer is breakeven or a slight advantage in a 50-50 contest. Bevo's game plan is all about mobility, fast ball movement and pressure. A slow ruckman who is poor below the knees and can't get to contests is actually a liability for he way Bevo wants the boys to play. Sure he wins 40 hit outs and of those 40, 30 go to our advantage, but if his opposition wins 40 and 30 of them go to the opposition's advantage and that opponent can get to more contests, the ruckwork is at best a draw.

Ayce.....at the moment we are conceding the ruck contests, yet was are still winning clearances and more importantly winning games. Why? Because fundementally, the ruck contests are not critical to our game, what is more important is the ability of the ruckman to stay involved, assist with moving the ball quickly and importantly nullify the ability of your direct oponent to influence the game with stat's that matter - marks, kicks and handballs. Cordy actually does this. Two goals in the first quarter were a direct result of Cordy feeding the ball to the player who provided the assist. Also, becaus he is mobile, he can follow his oppoenet forward and back and still be effective - he may not get possessions, but spoils, blocks and pressure are a big part of his role.

I also think that if you project Ayce's potential, with 50 games under his belt, he is the future prototype ruckman - tall, mobile, quick hands and good below the knees. With experience, a battle hardened body and some belief I think he will be a big part of our future. I am not opposed to dropping him, but I think Bevo is not too worried about 2015, despite our start. He will get games into Ayce, put an arm around him and say keep working hard, keep doing the little things. I think Minno is in trouble and Campbell is too.

comrade
03-05-2015, 08:05 AM
Here's my take on Ayce and the Ruck situation. Bevo doesn't value the ruck contest a critical part of the game. His take (and I am surmising here) is that there is little value in having a ruckman who is big, lumbering and slow (Minson/Campbell) if all they offer is breakeven or a slight advantage in a 50-50 contest. Bevo's game plan is all about mobility, fast ball movement and pressure. A slow ruckman who is poor below the knees and can't get to contests is actually a liability for he way Bevo wants the boys to play. Sure he wins 40 hit outs and of those 40, 30 go to our advantage, but if his opposition wins 40 and 30 of them go to the opposition's advantage and that opponent can get to more contests, the ruckwork is at best a draw.

Ayce.....at the moment we are conceding the ruck contests, yet was are still winning clearances and more importantly winning games. Why? Because fundementally, the ruck contests are not critical to our game, what is more important is the ability of the ruckman to stay involved, assist with moving the ball quickly and importantly nullify the ability of your direct oponent to influence the game with stat's that matter - marks, kicks and handballs. Cordy actually does this. Two goals in the first quarter were a direct result of Cordy feeding the ball to the player who provided the assist. Also, becaus he is mobile, he can follow his oppoenet forward and back and still be effective - he may not get possessions, but spoils, blocks and pressure are a big part of his role.

I also think that if you project Ayce's potential, with 50 games under his belt, he is the future prototype ruckman - tall, mobile, quick hands and good below the knees. With experience, a battle hardened body and some belief I think he will be a big part of our future. I am not opposed to dropping him, but I think Bevo is not too worried about 2015, despite our start. He will get games into Ayce, put an arm around him and say keep working hard, keep doing the little things. I think Minno is in trouble and Campbell is too.

You've painted the picture nicely.

With the sub rule likely being scrapped, meaning an extra on the bench, does this give a lifeline to the more traditional ruck man?

FrediKanoute
03-05-2015, 08:14 AM
You've painted the picture nicely.

With the sub rule likely being scrapped, meaning an extra on the bench, does this give a lifeline to the more traditional ruck man?

I don't think so. Look at our side. If there was no sub, would we have played Minno today or Hrovat? Hrovat absolutely in my mind, becasue the extra midfield rotations it allows. The game has changed since you had ruckmen like Wynd and the madden's running around. Luke Darcy/Jim Stynes were the mobile ruck styles that have led to what we have today. Ruckmen today have to be multi-positional and able to play forward, back and as a midfielder. I'm not suggesting Ayce is the whole (or even half the package), but he is closer to the package that BEvo wants.

comrade
03-05-2015, 08:46 AM
I don't think so. Look at our side. If there was no sub, would we have played Minno today or Hrovat? Hrovat absolutely in my mind, becasue the extra midfield rotations it allows. The game has changed since you had ruckmen like Wynd and the madden's running around. Luke Darcy/Jim Stynes were the mobile ruck styles that have led to what we have today. Ruckmen today have to be multi-positional and able to play forward, back and as a midfielder. I'm not suggesting Ayce is the whole (or even half the package), but he is closer to the package that BEvo wants.

Yep, think you're right.

Seems like we're going to be seeing more of Ayce this year but I thought it was interesting that Roughy was given more ruck responsibility after Cordy was subbed.

I wonder if Bevo thinks in an ideal world we need another good key defender down back, freeing up Roughy to take on the mobile ruck role and still have the flexibility to move forward and back if needed.

It's going to be the most important part of our post season list management, shoring up our ruck area.

SlimPickens
03-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Out: Cordy

In: Campbell- time to give tom a run at it. Not sure I buy the "below the knees" argument when it comes to Cordy. Just doesn't offer us much. Campbell offers us a competitive marking option.

Mantis
03-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Out: Cordy

In: Campbell- time to give tom a run at it. Not sure I buy the "below the knees" argument when it comes to Cordy. Just doesn't offer us much. Campbell offers us a competitive marking option.

Reading between the lines from Bevo's post match presser I get the feeling that Ayce is in the team primarily for what he offers in a defensive sense in that he positions himself well in transition... I don't think that's enough when you are getting pounded in the ruck contests.

SonofScray
03-05-2015, 08:59 AM
I would look at freshening up some legs this week if anyone is a bit too sore from the slog in Sydney. Could be a chance for Hunter or Dale to come in. I wonder if Hrovat is better off heading back down than playing as the sub again? His first few moments in the game yesterday were poor, I am not certain he is ready yet.

Cordy v Minson v Campbell, it's intriguing. Minson clearly the better player, Cordy from all indicators is the better fit.

FrediKanoute
03-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Reading between the lines from Bevo's post match presser I get the feeling that Ayce is in the team primarily for what he offers in a defensive sense in that he positions himself well in transition... I don't think that's enough when you are getting pounded in the ruck contests.

Does it matter though? If winning ruck contests = winning football games then maybe, but the last two weeks suggest not - at least not the way we are playing. From a success perspective having a ruckman who can play "team" defence is worth more than a ruckman who wins ruck contests. Its interesting, because it is turning convention on its head.

Mantis
03-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Does it matter though? If winning ruck contests = winning football games then maybe, but the last two weeks suggest not - at least not the way we are playing. From a success perspective having a ruckman who can play "team" defence is worth more than a ruckman who wins ruck contests. Its interesting, because it is turning convention on its head.

When winning ruck contests = winning the footy then it becomes an issue.. We did an amazing job early on to create a lead even though we were getting flogged in the centre.. I think from our first 8 inside 50's we kicked 5 goals and all while Sydney were dominating general play. It won't always be like that.

Whilst Cordy might be doing well defensively he is giving us nothing in his primary task.

chef
03-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Whilst Cordy might be doing well defensively he is giving us nothing in his primary task.

I guess it comes down to whats best for the team, a ruckman who can't get his hand on the tap out but fits into the team structure and makes us better overall or a ruckman who can get the tap out(but not always to advantage) but is a liability to the team structure.

bornadog
03-05-2015, 10:10 AM
I guess it comes down to whats best for the team, a ruckman who can't get his hand on the tap out but fits into the team structure and makes us better overall or a ruckman who can get the tap out(but not always to advantage) but is a liability to the team structure.

Let's face it Chef, Cordy isn't good enough. I would bring Campbell in.

chef
03-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Let's face it Chef, Cordy isn't good enough. I would bring Campbell in.

I agree, but he may be the best of what we've got(in terms of benefiting the side). We need to be targeting a good ruckman come end of the season.

I'm happy for him to get a chunk of games to see what we have and then Campbell to get the same treatment to see if they are worthy of hanging onto.

stefoid
03-05-2015, 10:48 AM

In all seriousness, what did Cordy do to outweigh the hits to advantage he cost us?

What is Will doing wrong to outweigh his stoppage work?

Is Will letting his opponent runtoo free, or not filling his spot in the zone defence or??

bornadog
03-05-2015, 10:49 AM
In all seriousness, what did Cordy do to outweigh the hits to advantage he cost us?

What is Will doing wrong to outweigh his stoppage work?

Is Will letting his opponent runtoo free, or not filling his spot in the zone defence or??

Will is the AFL's number one clearance player for his size. The coach seems to want something more from him.

Maddog37
03-05-2015, 11:59 AM
It is a super interesting topic. I think Rough is our number one ruckman after yesterday.

SlimPickens
03-05-2015, 12:13 PM
It is a super interesting topic. I think Rough is our number one ruckman after yesterday.

I think the same thing. If Morris was available I think we would go that way with Roughy first ruck. With Morris out I still think we need Roughy to play predominantly back, along side Fletch and Talia.

SlimPickens
03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Will is the AFL's number one clearance player for his size. The coach seems to want something more from him.

Last year maybe this year not so much (small sample size). I watched Will closely yesterday (first half only), he is working hard up and down the ground and providing an option, and was good in the clearances. I just wish he could mark the ball or at least not get out marked which happened on 3 occasions in the first half.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2015, 03:49 PM

Well said. Bevo in his after match presser mentioned Cordy positively too and he's the boss.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Agree with that. In the games Cordy has played in he has followed his opponent when that ruckman goes into the forward line. His defensive punches are very good. Bevo wants his players to be flexible. Whether Minno or Campbell can do this too time will tell when they have their chance.

F'scary
03-05-2015, 04:07 PM
On this Cordy question, I am going to watch the replays of the last two matches and see if I can see what some of you say he is doing well. Leaving aside the centre bounce, stoppage, clearances issues, at the moment, I haven't seen that he is any better than Will at: contested marking around the ground, spoiling in contested marking situations around the ground, being a forward target when resting. The only thing I can see is that he could pinch hit at CHB and FB against the taller forwards better than Minson would - so he appears to offer more flexibility with picking up tall players when they go forward. But that is about it.

FrediKanoute
03-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Last year maybe this year not so much (small sample size). I watched Will closely yesterday (first half only), he is working hard up and down the ground and providing an option, and was good in the clearances. I just wish he could mark the ball or at least not get out marked which happened on 3 occasions in the first half.

To me this is Will's biggest deficiency. He is a tall, strong, lumbering ruckman whose overhead marking is average.

F'scary
03-05-2015, 04:10 PM
To me this is Will's biggest deficiency. He is a tall, strong, lumbering ruckman whose overhead marking is average.

Very true, it is his biggest weakness.

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Would the Club be able to get permission from AC/DC to play this before the players come out ?
Would be great if we could
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkXfatoR7OM

Dry Rot
03-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Saints played pretty well today. Looked exhausted at the end, though. :D

F'scary
03-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Esserdon were really challenged by the Saints who were without Nick Riewoldt. Looking at the stats and the first articles, the Saints have a good full forward in Josh Bruce (196cm, 94kg ~30 games) who has now kicked 17 goals in 5 games this season. They also have two good inside mids in Armytage and Steven and a couple of good young forwards in Billings and Lonie. I look forward to Woofers' analysis over the lead up to the match because I am sure none of us are taking this game lightly.

Looking at their season stats, the Saints appear to be a side that does a lot of short passing. They are pretty good in the tackling department and get about as much of the ball as their opponents do. Despite having a relatively easy draw to date they have been thrashed twice (by Collingwood and Carlton) but have given good accounts of themselves against GWS and Essendon. Their one win has been against Gold Coast, who appear to be an easy-beat in 2015. Their captain Nick Riewoldt has only played 2 games, missed again today with a calf injury, and will face a test to play against us.

GVGjr
03-05-2015, 09:39 PM
We need to look at strengthening the team and also with an eye on the next couple of weeks as well.

Ins Minson, Hunter
Out Cordy, Roberts

Minson will be required when we play Fremantle so I believe he needs to come back in against the Saints
Hunter has been good for the last 3 weeks and I think Roberts was more or less a horses for courses selection against the Swans.

Cordy hasn't quite cut it at the centre square contests and despite the coaches positives comments I'd look at bringing Minson back.
Roberts was good enough yesterday but if Minson is selected then Roughead won't be required to do a lot of ruck work against the Saints. If we stick with Cordy then Roberts might be kept.

Knocking on the door, Biggs, Grant, Dale and of course Wallis.

1eyedog
03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
We need to look at strengthening the team and also with an eye on the next couple of weeks as well.

Ins Minson, Hunter
Out Cordy, Roberts

Minson will be required when we play Fremantle so I believe he needs to come back in against the Saints
Hunter has been good for the last 3 weeks and I think Roberts was more or less a horses for courses selection against the Swans.

Cordy hasn't quite cut it at the centre square contests and despite the coaches positives comments I'd look at bringing Minson back.
Roberts was good enough yesterday but if Minson is selected then Roughead won't be required to do a lot of ruck work against the Saints. If we stick with Cordy then Roberts might be kept.

I think Wallis has to come in for someone, he's just too important, adds leadership and strength at the contest. I guess it will be at the expense of Honeychurch or Stevens. Stevens is more attacking than Honeychurch and is better overhead but Honeychurch gets into better positions and uses it better. Interesting week for the MC.

GVGjr
03-05-2015, 09:51 PM
I think Wallis has to come in for someone, he's just too important, adds leadership and strength at the contest. I guess it will be at the expense of Honeychurch or Stevens. Stevens is more attacking than Honeychurch and is better overhead but Honeychurch gets into better positions and uses it better. Interesting week for the MC.

Stevens has been pretty good in my opinion. I sort of think Smith needs a week of getting a lot of the football and I see him as a real key player when we play Fremantle but it's hard to drop him. Honeychurch hasn't done much wrong so would be unlucky to be omitted but is probably the player likely to be given a spell. Webb could be a candidate if only because he probably needs to be managed.

If Wallis is fit someone has to make way.

Doc26
03-05-2015, 10:00 PM

Ins Minson, Hunter
Out Cordy, Roberts

Appears as though Riewoldt may come back for them this week. As such it will be interesting to see what they do at selection. With Hickey, Bruce, Riewoldt and Longer there's a few talls we will need to cover around the ground and in particular in our forward half. I suspect that Membrey would make way for Riewoldt otherwise they would run too tall. Roberts may need to be be retained on this basis.

boydogs
03-05-2015, 10:01 PM
If Wallis is fit someone has to make way.

I would leave out Hrovat & Smith before Honeychurch or Stevens, but someone is bound to be sore and struggle to get up in time

GVGjr
03-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Appears as though Riewoldt may come back for them this week. As such it will be interesting to see what they do at selection. With Hickey, Bruce, Riewoldt, Longer there's a few talls we will need to cover. I suspect that Membrey wiould make way for Riewoldt otherwise they would run too tall. Roberts may need to be be retained on this basis.

Very good point. Does it make it harder to use Roughead in the ruck as well?

bornadog
03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Some real selection dilemmas.

Is Campbell ready to come in?

Doc26
03-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Very good point. Does it make it harder to use Roughead in the ruck as well?

Hickey has been going forward, when he's rucking there may be an opportunity to put Roughy in although both Riewoldt and Bruce will need adequate tall coverage. In this case that would likely be Talia and Roberts which does make us somewhat vulnerable against two potentially damaging forwards. Roberts out of the side may simply leave us too short. St.Kilda's selection this week is more intriguing than ours.

F'scary
03-05-2015, 10:17 PM

Won't be for Stevens who has been in our best for the past 2 weeks.

1eyedog
03-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Won't be for Stevens who has been in our best for the past 2 weeks.

Has to be Clay then perhaps. Stevens had a bigger game than I thought!

Go_Dogs
04-05-2015, 09:15 AM
In: Campbell, Dale

Out: Cordy, Macrae (rest)

Campbell and Rough to share ruck duties, both rotating to opposite ends of the ground at times.

Whilst Macrae was good against the Crows, and certainly had some moments against Sydney, his form has been a little down the past 3 weeks and he doesn't seem to be covering the ground all that well. Good chance for him to freshen up before Fremantle.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Might sounds strange but i think this is a real danger game for us. The Saints aren't as terrible as their record suggests, they just suffer from inconsistency as a young side will. I'd expect Reiwoldt and Montagna to come back for them also.

More importantly though is the let down that can often be suffered after such a big (in terms of accomplishment, not margin) win the week before. Add to that a tough game in the wet interstate, the hype surrounding us and our first game where we are expected to win, i see this as a danger game. I hope Bevo can keep the boys grounded and sharp. A lot of great work could be undone in just 1 game if we're not careful

always right
04-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Was impressed with the saints yeterday and dare I say it, this shapes as a real danger game for us. On paper they match up pretty well with some mobile forwards including Riewoldt who seems likely to come in against us along with Montagna. Their key forwards certainly have a bit more toe than their likely matchups.

At the other end I can see the under-rated Dempster taking Stringer but they might struggle to find a good matchup for Crameri. In the middle, Stevens always plays well against us as and Armitage is in great form. We need to get on top at the centre bounces or we could be in some trouble.

Maybe it's the scars I carry from previous seasons that drive my concerns but I reckon this is going to be a real challenge for us and may possibly be a better guide to how much we've improved that some of our earlier wins this season. Off the back of a physical game in the wet and the possibility of a mental letdown, it wouldn't surprise me if we are a bit flat this week. Hopefully the large bulldogs crowd who are certain to attend this week can get us over the line.

Ozza
04-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Agree that it is a danger game, and the 'let down' factor is a worry after a big win in the wet.

Although on form, I wouldn't be looking to make changes to the side (perhaps Campbell for Cordy) - given the heavy day in Sydney and that potential let down factor - I wouldn't be against a few changes being made to just keep some freshness in the side.

I really see us playing this year genuinely as a squad of 28-30 - where from outside of Saturday's team we would have;
Wallis, Hunter, Biggs, Grant, Morris, Hamling, Redpath, Dale, Prudden and the ruckmen all featuring at different stages (some obviously more permanent than others). We will need to keep making 1-2 changes regularly to stay fresh and keep this strong form sustainable throughout the whole year and avoid a fade out.

The Underdog
04-05-2015, 10:41 AM
As others have pointed out, it's going to be a case of who comes up and who doesn't. Usually I'd say no or 1 change but given the toll that game may take on a few then I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 changes are made. I think there'll be some monitoring of some of the younger guys in particular Webb. He's been enormous in his 3 games but that game will be at a level he's never dealt with before. Biggs would seem ready made replacement if he needs a rest. Hunter must be close and I think if Wallis is fit he comes straight back for Honeychurch or Hrovat, although both would be unlucky to miss.
I wonder if we'd ever consider dropping Cordy and bringing in a runner, then going with Roughy as the main ruck with Fletch and Boyd backing him up. We'd possibly be even weaker in the hit outs, but we'd be fast as *!*!*!*! around the ground.

F'scary
04-05-2015, 11:39 AM
We need to pick a side with a strict view to winning the game, as others have noted above, it is definitely a danger game - the Saints are not that bad a side and we could have an emotional let down after the past couple of glorious weeks.

Minson in for Cordy. Minson is a known quantity and should be fired up. I am concerned that Campbell would be too experimental and gather that his form in the VFL has been patchy - he is still building rather than banging the door down.

Roughead can take Josh Bruce, who appears to be more an overhead marking and strength player than a leading forward.
Talia should have the form and fitness to take Riewoldt who will be short of a run and is no spring chicken nowdays.

Clay Smith has had 2 matches now but looks like he is a bit off the pace after his long lay off. If Wallis is fit he would come in for Clay, otherwise Hunter appears to have the form.

A decision needs to be made about the need for a third tall in the backline. If it is deemed that Wood can provide the matchup, then Fletch would go out for a smaller running player who would start as the sub - perhaps Hunter if Wallis comes in for Clay, otherwise Biggs or Bailey Dale appear to have the best form in the VFL team.

I would keep both Hrovat and Honeychurch in and look to have them in the 21 as in my opinion they both look like they are there to play when they run on the ground.

Interestingly, I do not feel the need to go for a genuine CHF at the moment. Toyd, Crameri and Stringer seem to be covering off the tall needs in forward line.

Ozza
04-05-2015, 11:49 AM
St.Kilda played both Longer and Hickey on the weekend. Both would appear to have played well, with Hickey predominantly forward. It will be interesting to see if they were prepared to go in with all of Riewoldt, Bruce, Hickey and Longer. If so, Fletcher Roberts should play.

F'scary
04-05-2015, 11:52 AM
St.Kilda played both Longer and Hickey on the weekend. Both would appear to have played well, with Hickey predominantly forward. It will be interesting to see if they were prepared to go in with all of Riewoldt, Bruce, Hickey and Longer. If so, Fletcher Roberts should play.

Fair enough, in that case Honeychurch or Hrovat would start as sub, seems to be how things are going at the moment for those two and both of them, it is a bit of a curse perhaps, have shown that they can get immediately involved when they come on, which is a very important quality for the sub to have.

Cyberdoggie
04-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Too hard to tell who comes out simply because the game in Sydney was such a bruising encounter in heavy conditions. Players will need to be managed and may need a rest. Bob Murphy looked like his shoulder was troubling him and it might be a good time to give him a spell for someone like Biggs.

Surely you would think the Cordy experiment must be over but I get the impression they will give him another go.
He was deplorable in the ruck, so much so that Lin Jong had more hitouts than Cordy did. He simply doesn't have the strength to play as a key forward or a ruckman and the wet conditions emphasized that.

1eyedog
04-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Danger game? Who'd have thought we would be saying that at any time this season. The Aints are crap, young and inconsistent. If we are half on song we'll beat them comfortably. They were trounced by 8 goals by Carlton FFS. Essendon are also very ordinary. The game on the weekend was played out like two 8 year olds in a lolly shop. Counter attack on counter attack with little to no commitment or hardness. Both teams played such unaccountable football and freaked out constantly under pressure.

The depressing part of that game was that someone actually had to win. Neither team will play finals.

I expect us to win comfortably.

F'scary
04-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Danger game? Who'd have thought we would be saying that at any time this season. The Aints are crap, young and inconsistent. If we are half on song we'll beat them comfortably. They were trounced by 8 goals by Carlton FFS. Essendon are also very ordinary. The game on the weekend was played out like two 8 year olds in a lolly shop. Counter attack on counter attack with little to no commitment or hardness. Both teams played such unaccountable football and freaked out constantly under pressure.

The depressing part of that game was that someone actually had to win. Neither team will play finals.

So do I but didn't the Saints catch Fremantle last season on an off day? We are not used to being in this position and have to be careful that we don't start taking teams for granted.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2015, 04:04 PM

All valid points, but if we have an off day our game on the weekend could look very similar and we could be on the wrong side of it. Exactly why it is a danger game coming of a great win the previous week. If we aren't on song we could get caught out

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2015, 04:04 PM
So do I but didn't the Saints catch Fremantle last season on an off day? We are not used to being in this position and have to be careful that we don't start taking teams for granted.

They did but there is something fishy about the last 2 Saints - Freo outings. I mean even on an off day you wouldnt expect a 70pt thumping

G-Mo77
04-05-2015, 07:21 PM
So who comes in as Jongs replacement this week? Will Wallis be ready?

Remi Moses
04-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Is Shane Biggs ready to come in ?
Lachy Hunter? or Bailey Dale to debut ?

The Doctor
04-05-2015, 07:34 PM
I'd bring Wallis back in through the two's and give a go to one of the deserving guys from Footscray like, Hunter, Biggs, etc. I think this also earns Clay Smith a reprieve and a chance to step up.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2015, 07:34 PM
In- Minson, Biggs
Out- Cordy, Jong

I am being a bit harsh on Hunter. I guess I don't really trust his flashy style. Our style really doesn't allow for a guy who can be the weak link in the chain in ensuring his opponent doesn't get an easy touch etc.

1eyedog
04-05-2015, 08:00 PM
All valid points, but if we have an off day our game on the weekend could look very similar and we could be on the wrong side of it. Exactly why it is a danger game coming of a great win the previous week. If we aren't on song we could get caught out

Every weeks a danger game. We're either on song or we aren't. I feel we only need to be half on song to beat this rabble.

Yes they rolled Freo last year minus Sandilands and Ballantyne, and this will happen every blue moon.

1eyedog
04-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Reckon they'll bring Mitch straight back

Hope so. If he's right to go he's in the best 22.

F'scary
04-05-2015, 08:07 PM
They did but there is something fishy about the last 2 Saints - Freo outings. I mean even on an off day you wouldnt expect a 70pt thumping

I love a conspiracy theory!

boydogs
04-05-2015, 08:39 PM
No mention of Mitch in the injury update video

jeemak
04-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Clay still misses senior football this week for mine. I struggle to see how he could be going OK without a spell from the top level considering his age, injury history and immediate preparation.

comrade
04-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Wallis in for Jong.

Dale in for Smith.

Cordy gets another go because the Saints may go in quite tall and Roughy will be needed down back, but against a smaller forward line I'd give the reins to Fletch and let Roughy ruck.

LostDoggy
04-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Lin Jong out with a broken hand , so one forced change and probably two more
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldog-lin-jong-sidelined-with-broken-hand-20150504-ggtzhe.html

always right
04-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Reckon Hunter's VFL form gets him in for Jong. Minson in for Cordy.

Sedat
04-05-2015, 10:36 PM
A lot will depend on whether Greg Louganis comes back for St Kilda this week. If he does, Roberts needs to stay in the 22.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2015, 10:47 PM
A lot will depend on whether Greg Louganis comes back for St Kilda this week. If he does, Roberts needs to stay in the 22.

Haha. I would keep Fletch in regardless. It gives us a bit more freedom to release Roughy into the ruck. We also only have one key forward and we could use him or Roughy as a swingman there too. It also allows us to sub off our ruckman and have Roughy as 1st ruck for a bit.

Mantis
05-05-2015, 10:28 AM
I'd bring Wallis back in through the two's and give a go to one of the deserving guys from Footscray like, Hunter, Biggs, etc. I think this also earns Clay Smith a reprieve and a chance to step up.

With Footscray having a bye this week if Wallis is deemed fit he has to play.

Greystache
05-05-2015, 11:06 AM
With Footscray having a bye this week if Wallis is deemed fit he has to play.

Yep agree with that. He's not quite the same type of player as Jong, but he should be fresh, and he'll go some way to ensure we get our hands on the ball in the middle which if we're flat could be vital.

LostDoggy
05-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Every weeks a danger game. We're either on song or we aren't. I feel we only need to be half on song to beat this rabble.

Yes they rolled Freo last year minus Sandilands and Ballantyne, and this will happen every blue moon.

Only because Lyon still has a soft spot for them and it was Lenny love childs farewell game.
St.KIlda ara crap and will fold quicker then a row of tents on the top of Mt.Panorama under our extreme pressure.

LostDoggy
05-05-2015, 09:10 PM
B: .......... M.Boyd.......Roughhead.......Wood
HB: ........ Talia.............Murphy........Roberts
C: .......... Dickson........ Stevens........Webb
HF : ....... Stringer.........Smith.........Crameri
F: .......... Dahlhaus......T.Boyd......Honeychurch
Foll : ...... Minson.........Picken.......Bontempelli
Bench: ... Hunter...Johannisen...Biggs
Sub : .... Hrovat
In : Biggs ..Hunter..Minson
Out : Jong ( Broken Hand ) Macrae ( Rested ) Cordy

Footscray VFL Stats
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?c=4-118-0-339767-0&pool=1&fixture=124365370&a=MATCH

Remi Moses
05-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Don't think Macrae will be rested. Our midfield is missing a few already

ratsmac
06-05-2015, 02:03 AM
Macrae has to work through his lull in form by playing and not being rested IMO. Not that he is playing terrible, but for his standards he is a little off. Macrae will get 40+ possies this week if the Saints give us the space they allowed the bombers last week. It was a free flowing affair from the bits I saw.

1eyedog
06-05-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm amused that Aints fans think they're a red hot show to knock us off on Saturday. They feel their forward line will trouble us and expect Roo and Montagna to come in. They mostly have Dempster on Crameri and Fisher on Stringer. If their forward line is going to trouble us why hasn't it troubled others this year, namely Carlton who pretty much don't have a back line.

LostDoggy
06-05-2015, 10:30 PM
I'm amused that Aints fans think they're a red hot show to knock us off on Saturday

I,m expecting them to have a red hot go from the start but the amount of pressure we bring forces mistakes , I don't expect them to stay committed to their game plan for long once we put the squeeze on them , they will start taking too long to make decisions and then they will be either tackled , forced to handpass under pressure or kick backwards

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2015, 10:34 PM
If we're on, we'll smash them.

It's that simple.

jeemak
07-05-2015, 12:30 AM
If we're on, we'll smash them.

It's that simple.

But more and more the game is played on the margins, particularly among teams that feature in the lower 10-12 places on the ladder.

If we're off by 5-10 per cent, and the Saints are on we'll be pushed extremely hard.

Ghost Dog
07-05-2015, 12:50 AM
Forget about Sydney Swans and remember a certain preliminary with a diving Nick Reiwoldt - let that image sink in for a while.

jeemak
07-05-2015, 03:10 AM
Forget about Sydney Swans and remember a certain preliminary with a diving Nick Reiwoldt - let that image sink in for a while.

You mean the preliminary final that we should have won if it wasn't for us not taking our opportunities irrespective of the differential in top end talent? Thanks mate, I feel a lot better now.......

Ghost Dog
07-05-2015, 09:01 AM
You mean the preliminary final that we should have won if it wasn't for us not taking our opportunities irrespective of the differential in top end talent? Thanks mate, I feel a lot better now.......

Exactly! We still owe them numerous good hidings for that one.

The Pie Man
07-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Exactly! We still owe them numerous good hidings for that one.

As a fan, I probably share your sentiment, but all the future wins will never get back that opportunity.

Was very nervous early in the week about this one, but as it's progressed I'm more convinced that this group won't suffer a lull like past Bulldog groups have - not that we won't suffer physically through the year with such a young group, more the mental application. Guess we'll find out Saturday, but gee a win would set up a top of the table clash with Freo beautifully...and who thought that was a prospect pre season?

Anyways

In: Wallis, Hunter (based on Stevo's tweet earlier this week - he'd know)
Out: Jong, Smith

F'scary
07-05-2015, 12:36 PM
I don't think Macrae is in a form lull, I know he can have 40 possession games but he is motoring on quite nicely. We are less dependent on him than last year, too.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-05-2015, 12:49 PM
As a fan, I probably share your sentiment, but all the future wins will never get back that opportunity.

Was very nervous early in the week about this one, but as it's progressed I'm more convinced that this group won't suffer a lull like past Bulldog groups have - not that we won't suffer physically through the year with such a young group, more the mental application. Guess we'll find out Saturday, but gee a win would set up a top of the table clash with Freo beautifully...and who thought that was a prospect pre season?

Anyways

In: Wallis, Hunter (based on Stevo's tweet earlier this week - he'd know)
Out: Jong, Smith

That prospect reminds me of the year we were surprisingly on top in the earlier part of season, playing second placed Geelong, who were favourites for the flag, at our home ground, Princes Park.
My brother had a restaurant, The Last Aussie Fishcaf and he brought a stand up comedian to the game who let loose with stuff like a belowing "thank your mother for the rabbits" etc etc everytime we kicked a goal. The old lady a few rows behind us had murder in her eyes as she abused him, she was really riled.
We won an magnificent victory, one of the great days at the footy.
The big comedian was nearly flagellated to death by a thousand lashings of an old lady's tongue, but never lost his smugness.
Now that wouldn be great if history repeated itself v Freo.

In: Hunter
Out: King Kong

The Pie Man
07-05-2015, 02:35 PM
That prospect reminds me of the year we were surprisingly on top in the earlier part of season, playing second placed Geelong, who were favourites for the flag, at our home ground, Princes Park.
My brother had a restaurant, The Last Aussie Fishcaf and he brought a stand up comedian to the game who let loose with stuff like a belowing "thank your mother for the rabbits" etc etc everytime we kicked a goal. The old lady a few rows behind us had murder in her eyes as she abused him, she was really riled.
We won an magnificent victory, one of the great days at the footy.
The big comedian was nearly flagellated to death by a thousand lashings of an old lady's tongue, but never lost his smugness.
Now that wouldn be great if history repeated itself v Freo.

In: Hunter
Out: King Kong

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread - but I have to make note of Libba's eye after meeting Buddha Hockings heel...and how we got a free kick out of it to change momentum (never should've been a free)

Was a great day.

I really think Wallis has to play this week - whether it's a straight swap for Jong or not.

Axe Man
07-05-2015, 02:47 PM
I really think Wallis has to play this week - whether it's a straight swap for Jong or not.

Even if he's not fit? He's still listed as 1 week away - hopefully he comes up but it seems doubtful.

boydogs
07-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Didn't stop Geelong beating Hawthorn 10 times in a row after the 2008 GF

Ozza
07-05-2015, 03:25 PM
It will be interesting to see if we take the opportunity to try and stretch the saints tall(ish) backs.
At the moment, they would be playing;

Delaney on Boyd
Dempster on Stringer
Fisher on Crameri
(possibly vice versa the last two).

Playing Redpath, or adding a Ruckman would really stretch them - but may not be our best 22/may detract a bit from our pressure.

The Pie Man
07-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Even if he's not fit? He's still listed as 1 week away - hopefully he comes up but it seems doubtful.

Sorry, missed that. Hunter straight swap then, Hrovat to start the game (was clean in the last qtr vs Sydney)

1eyedog
07-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Wally looked ok at training on Tuesday. We'll find out in a couple of hours I suppose.

Mantis
07-05-2015, 04:27 PM
It will be interesting to see if we take the opportunity to try and stretch the saints tall(ish) backs.
At the moment, they would be playing;

Delaney on Boyd
Dempster on Stringer
Fisher on Crameri
(possibly vice versa the last two).

Playing Redpath, or adding a Ruckman would really stretch them - but may not be our best 22/may detract a bit from our pressure.

If we are a bit 'flat' after last weeks taxing game you would think we would need all the run we can muster so I'm a no on this move this week.. But I definitely think it's something we should employ when the time is right.

Ozza
07-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Hopefully our taxing game is evened out by St.Kilda's 6 day break.

Maddog37
07-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I still want to know who is gonna play on Dal...... They don't have a player to stop him.

Happy Days
07-05-2015, 05:25 PM
I still want to know who is gonna play on Dal...... They don't have a player to stop him.

Would think Geary would go to Dahl.

Ozza
07-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Mav Weller is their designated run-with player. Although he won't follow Bonti or Macrae forward (if he goes to them) if they spend time there. Tends to take an inside mid - so maybe goes with Bonti.

Newnes is the other one who may have a run with type role. Usually on the outside. Maybe a match up for Macrae.

Looking at their team from last week, the saints look shorter than us across the midfield. They don't really have any of the tall type mids we do (187cm+) apart from Dylan Roberton - who is more a flanker, or winger at most. I know we have Dahl, Hrovat and Honeychurch as smalls...but generally speaking, we have more size than the Saints.

Mofra
07-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Looking at their team from last week, the saints look shorter than us across the midfield. They don't really have any of the tall type mids we do (187cm+) apart from Dylan Roberton - who is more a flanker, or winger at most. I know we have Dahl, Hrovat and Honeychurch as smalls...but generally speaking, we have more size than the Saints.
You'd think that's something we'll look to exploit, especially now Stringer has been running through the centre occasionally too.

Such a shame Jong isn't playing this week.

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 06:40 PM
I'm hoping we smash them by 150 points. Just so I have something to crow about for two weeks, as next up is Fremantle.

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm hoping we smash them by 150 points. Just so I have something to crow about for two weeks, as next up is Fremantle.

So do I BAS,but if we can do it against Sydney in Sin City why can't we think we can also do it agaist Freo @ Etihad?

Templeton31
07-05-2015, 06:43 PM
No inside info:

In: Minson, Hunter, and Redpath or Grant
Out: Cordy Smith Jong

Time to give Big Will another crack - we can't keep getting hammered like that in the ruck/clearances. Clay looks like he needs to find a bit more form and Hunters form sounds good. Redpath or Grant as need another taller type in the fwd line other than just Boydy.

soupman
07-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Goodes and Hunter in, Jong and M Boyd out.

Grant, Minson and Dale emergencies, Cordy still in the side.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Goodes and Hunter in, Jong and M Boyd out.

Grant, Minson and Dale emergencies, Cordy still in the side.

Not sure how Cordy is getting a game. Has Will done something?

Not a fan of Goodes selection, but I'm just an armchair coach.

soupman
07-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Not sure how Cordy is getting a game. Has Will done something?

Not a fan of Goodes selection, but I'm just an armchair coach.

I'm tipping the Goodes selection will not be a popular one, especially as it would appear he is keeping Dale out of the side.

bornadog
07-05-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm tipping the Goodes selection will not be a popular one, especially as it would appear he is keeping Dale out of the side.
Does he go to the backline to take Boyd's spot?

comrade
07-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Can see Goodes taking Boydy's role off half back. Don't mind that as he is a good user when he has time and space.

To be honest, I would have liked Biggs to get a go after what was supposed to be a very good VFL performance but they've gone with an older, harder body.

Also, I'm getting a weird sense of enjoyment at seeing Ayce named each week. I like that Bevo clearly has a plan for him and is sticking to his guns.

soupman
07-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Does he go to the backline to take Boyd's spot?

Presumably, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him as sub.

chef
07-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I'm not fussed about Ayce staying in as the other two guys don't seem to be knocking down the door to get into the side anyway.

If he's in there because he fits our structure better than so be it.

Scorlibo
07-05-2015, 07:54 PM
I like that Bevo is activating the entire list at the moment. Many would have predicted a couple of weeks ago that we wouldn't be seeing any more of Cordy or Goodes in the senior team, yet he shows some faith in his players. I think that is resonating with the playing group.

Mantis
07-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I'm not fussed about Ayce staying in as the other two guys don't seem to be knocking down the door to get into the side anyway.

Has Ayce done enough to stay in the side?

One would think not as he has been soundly beaten when playing as the number 1 ruck.

chef
07-05-2015, 08:04 PM

One would think not as he has been soundly beaten when playing as the number 1 ruck.

I guess so as he's been picked again, he must be doing something right. Maybe he just fits the structure we want to play better?

It's not like the other guys are knocking the door down anyway. To me all 3 of our rucks are a bit meh so I'm not as fussed as some by his continued inclusion(I would like Campbell to get the same run of games to see if he's worth keeping too). It should be our number 1 focus at trade/FA time though.

Templeton31
07-05-2015, 08:05 PM
I can't see the logic myself. But then again if someone had suggested we would be 4 and 1 including beating the Swans at the SCG I wouldn't have seen the logic in that!!!!! :D

bulldogsthru&thru
07-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Ayce must be in so as to stick with Longer/Hickey. I guess he's the most mobile of the 3 ruckmen

kruder
07-05-2015, 08:09 PM

Minson must of been a very naughty boy it's the only logical explanation.

Remi Moses
07-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Interesting keeping faith with Ayce . Minson and Campbell need to bang the door down, and Goodes is just a flat out swap for Boyd.
Glad Hunter gets a game

Webby
07-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Surprised Wallis is still out. Must've been a really painful deep tissue corky. He might be a bit proppy and need a run in the VFL to ease back into it.

jeemak
07-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Minson must of been a very naughty boy it's the only logical explanation.

I wouldn't be surprised if the incumbent coaching staff ha gotten in Beveridge's ear about the things they wanted him to work on last year that he didn't do well, and the latter agrees.

azabob
07-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Surprised Wallis is still out. Must've been a really painful deep tissue corky. He might be a bit proppy and need a run in the VFL to ease back into it.

Being a back injury I'm not surprised.

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Yes, Goodes has come in for Boyd , you need an experienced player to put the brakes on when needed , you can't play flat out all the time , I would expect Goodes to play a role as the extra man in front of the backline . Starting both Honeychurch and Hrovat forward is most likely a structure to prey on any Saints defensive errors / turnovers if the pressure is too much for them and they are forced to kick backwards or a low percentage kick in an attempt to switch play . Hunter the most likely for the Green Vest with the Team Named . Smith looks like being locked in as the Defensive Forward in the role that Picken was originally chosen for until Libba was injured . If Roughead spends more time in the Ruck then Stevens would be the most likely to drop back

F'scary
07-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Boyd and Jong both out is a worry.

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 08:42 PM

Maybe Bevo is holding Mitch back so he can be Cherry Ripe for our Mids battle with Freo?

F'scary
07-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Yes, Goodes has come in for Boyd , you need an experienced player to put the brakes on when needed , you can't play flat out all the time , I would expect Goodes to play a role as the extra man in front of the backline . Starting both Honeychurch and Hrovat forward is most likely a structure to prey on any Saints defensive errors / turnovers if the pressure is too much for them and they are forced to kick backwards or a low percentage kick in an attempt to switch play . Hunter the most likely for the Green Vest with the Team Named . Smith looks like being locked in as the Defensive Forward in the role that Picken was originally chosen for until Libba was injured . If Roughead spends more time in the Ruck then Stevens would be the most likely to drop back

I am expecting Goodes to be the sub. StK has gone with 3 marking talls in their forward line, so I don't know that we will be able to spare Roughead for ruck duties, which is a worry. I notice that the Saints backline is fairly tall and heavy as well. This may play into our hands if we are able to continue our panzer division with heat-seeker missile support approach.

I am still seeing this as a danger game due to the loss of two of our best players in Moyd and Jong, the inclusion of Goodes, the retention of Cordy and the uncertainty over whether Hunter will contribute sufficiently, whether Clay Smith can increase his output and the persistence of playing without a genuine CHF.

I guess the key is that if we maintain the style and intensity we brought to 4 of the first 5 games, the Saints should crack badly - they are likely to be suspect under pressure.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 08:46 PM

Campbell took 7 marks and kicked 4 goals and laid 6 tackles 2 weeks ago and beat Minson for hit outs as well. That's smashing the door down.

I guess so as he's been picked again, he must be doing something right. Maybe he just fits the structure we want to play better?

It's not like the other guys are knocking the door down anyway. To me all 3 of our rucks are a bit meh so I'm not as fussed as some by his continued inclusion(I would like Campbell to get the same run of games to see if he's worth keeping too). It should be our number 1 focus at trade/FA time though.

He's been subbed out just after half time in 2 of his 4 games, so if he's doing something right why are we subbing him out?

Webby
07-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Boyd and Jong both out is a worry.

Hmm. And no Wallis in.. That's a fair bit of grunt out of the side.. Balance that with Riewoldt and Montagna in, and it's a fair swing towards the Aints..

Interesting test for us on Saturday. Suddenly it feels like a bit of a danger game.. We'll get an idea of how good we are. Hopefully the kids get it done and we can have some strong ins for Freo.

G-Mo77
07-05-2015, 08:49 PM
I am expecting Goodes to be the sub.

Which IMO is a bad role for him, if he plays he should start IMO. He just hasn't been able to influence the game/s he's played when he comes on after being a sub.

Real concerned with Boyd out of this game.

F'scary
07-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Campbell took 7 marks and kicked 4 goals and laid 6 tackles 2 weeks ago and beat Minson for hit outs as well. That's smashing the door down.

He's been subbed out just after half time in 2 of his 4 games, so if he's doing something right why are we subbing him out?

Bevo must be adopting a policy of "give him enough rope" with continuing to play the Ayce and it is just about time to spring the trap door.

F'scary
07-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Which IMO is a bad role for him, if he plays he should start IMO. He just hasn't been able to influence the game/s he's played when he comes on after being a sub.

Real concerned with Boyd out of this game.

I prefer him as sub as that's the best way to hide him.

chef
07-05-2015, 08:56 PM

I guess you would have to ask Bevo.

I'm not saying I want Ayce leading our ruck, I'm just not that fussed about it.

F'scary
07-05-2015, 09:05 PM
A couple of tactics I hope we are considering against the Saints: As Sam Fisher likes to run off the back line in an attacking way, he would be one to put defensive forward pressure on - he plays fairly unaccountably at times. Nick Riewoldt has for years been the bail out guy on the lead to the wing to mark and relieve the pressure coming out of defence. If we can position our players correctly and stop this avenue, they may start misusing the ball as they look for alternatives.

G-Mo77
07-05-2015, 09:05 PM
I prefer him as sub as that's the best way to hide him.

Nice. :rolleyes:

He played a decent game against the Eagles in Round 1. Without both Jong and Boyd there is a role for him to play in this team.

azabob
07-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Who plays on Riewoldt?

bornadog
07-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Who plays on Riewoldt?
Talia

G-Mo77
07-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Who plays on Riewoldt?

Talia's got to go to him.

azabob
07-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Is Talia fit enough? Maybe Wood will have to go with at times.

G-Mo77
07-05-2015, 09:16 PM

I think so to an extent. I'm prepared to let him take his marks out up on the wing. As long as that ball is under pressure coming further we'll be fine.

F'scary
07-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Nice. :rolleyes:

He played a decent game against the Eagles in Round 1. Without both Jong and Boyd there is a role for him to play in this team.

Ok, I was being too mean. Sorry.

F'scary
07-05-2015, 09:29 PM
I think so to an extent. I'm prepared to let him take his marks out up on the wing. As long as that ball is under pressure coming further we'll be fine.

I would like to see us cut off his leading to the wings. They probably have no plan B if we can put the pressure on them.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-05-2015, 09:36 PM
We're vulnerable with our lack of grunt (Libba, Wallis, Boyd, Jong missing). We're going to need some big games from Hrovat, Stevens and Clay in the middle to pick up the slack.

I can understand the Goodes inclusion. Hopefully he can play well - we will need him to.

I don't like Cordy staying in the side. He's not up to AFL level in any capacity, and is the least versatile of our rucks - even Minson is more effective resting forward. This could be the week it bites us a little, as the aggression of Campbell or Minson could be telling against St. Kilda's young rucks, especially with our mids injured.

I want to bury the Saints and will be pretty angry if we drop this one. They're a terrible football side.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 09:40 PM

His endurance is one of his biggest strengths. He's not quick but he has a big tank. Riewoldt is probably a good match up for him.

1eyedog
07-05-2015, 09:40 PM
With Morris, Boyd and Minson out of the team we have less experience in there than GWS.

Templeton31
07-05-2015, 09:59 PM
I reckon Roberts might go to Riewoldt.Dunno why - just seems a good fit.

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Bevo must be adopting a policy of "give him enough rope" with continuing to play the Ayce and it is just about time to spring the trap door.

Maybe Bevo is just making Minno really angry for when he comes back against Freo? ;)

Happy Days
07-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Why are we playing 2 of our worst 3 players on purpose?

Biggs had 30 touches playing the exact same role as Boyd in the VFL last week, a role he was recruited to play in the AFL, and we go back to Goodes, who has shown nothing so far this year.

And Cordy; come on. Campbell has been outstanding the last two weeks and deserves a game so we are not totally incompetent in the centre square. The structure argument doesn't wash, because why would we let our structures get torn down in crunch time by subbing out a player so...crucial (?) to our structure.

I guess we'll win so whatever, but man. What am I missing?

GVGjr
07-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Just an observation but if we do get over the Saints this weekend and Fremantle beat Essendon then next week the only two undefeated teams with games played on mainland Australia will play off. ;)

Dry Rot
07-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Just an observation but if we do get over the Saints this weekend and Fremantle beat Essendon then next week the only two undefeated teams with games played on mainland Australia will play off. ;)

And Carlton will be the 2015 International Premiers.

Onya Blues!

bornadog
07-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Biggs had 30 touches playing the exact same role as Boyd in the VFL last week, a role he was recruited to play in the AFL, and we go back to Goodes, who has shown nothing so far this year.

I don't understand how he gets a game either. Last two senior games he had 10 disposals. I think Biggs should have come in for the HBF role.

GVGjr
07-05-2015, 11:26 PM
I don't understand how he gets a game either. Last two senior games he had 10 disposals. I think Biggs should have come in for the HBF role.

Goodes was an emergency last week so was right in the mix once M.Boyd needed a spell. Biggs will get his opportunity soon enough.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 11:30 PM

A player in our list had 10 disposals in round 2 and had a thread dedicated to how well he played.

bornadog
07-05-2015, 11:31 PM
A player in our list had 10 disposals in round 2 and had a thread dedicated to how well he played.

Goodes had 5 disposals per game.

Greystache
07-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Goodes was an emergency last week so was right in the mix once M.Boyd needed a spell. Biggs will get his opportunity soon enough.

It seems Boyd will require regular breaks despite his new role. It's unfortunate because IMO he's playing the best footy he has in a very very long time.

GVGjr
07-05-2015, 11:40 PM
It seems Boyd will require regular breaks despite his new role. It's unfortunate because IMO he's playing the best footy he has in a very very long time.

Agreed, I think if he gets a week off and every 4 games it should keep him fresh. Perhaps the occasional go as the sub as well.

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 11:44 PM

Don't forget Boyd went into the Sydney game after recovering from a calf strain , given the seek and destroy nature of the game against the Swans I,m surprised only one of our players was injured and one is rested .
Hopefully we have played our cards properly by naming a near full strength side to hammer the Saints , we could have just played it safe and rested 2 or 3 ahead of the Fremantle game . Bevo has stated that he wants the confidence and momentum to continue and build a culture of growth and success , and you probably go against that ethos by playing it safe

GVGjr
07-05-2015, 11:45 PM

Was he the sub in round 2 and 3? He had a poor game against the Hawks and was dropped but he played an excellent VFL game the following week and it's why he was an emergency last week. I guess the club values his experience particularly when losing someone like M.Boyd.

bornadog
07-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Was he the sub in round 2 and 3? He had a poor game against the Hawks and was dropped but he played an excellent VFL game the following week and it's why he was an emergency last week. I guess the club values his experience particularly when losing someone like M.Boyd.

There is a massive difference in standard between VFL and AFL.

Lets hope he plays well.

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 12:00 AM

Experience as in old bloke? He's played less than 20 games of AFL footy.

GVGjr
08-05-2015, 12:01 AM
There is a massive difference in standard between VFL and AFL.

Lets hope he plays well.

I don't quite get this because you are endorsing Biggs on the form he displayed in the VFL but discounting the merits of the VFL when assessing the Goodes selection.

Back to the original question, was Goodes the sub in rounds 2 and/or 3? Fairly sure he was in round 3 but I think he was in 2 as well.

Goodes is a week to week proposition and needs to play well to keep a spot. He could even play a good game and be dropped the following week when M.Boyd returns.

bornadog
08-05-2015, 12:07 AM
I don't quite get this because you are endorsing Biggs on the form he displayed in the VFL but discounting the merits of the VFL when assessing the Goodes selection.

Back to the original question, was Goodes the sub in rounds 2 and/or 3? Fairly sure he was in round 3 but I think he was in 2 as well.

Goodes is a week to week proposition and needs to play well to keep a spot. He could even play a good game and be dropped the following week when M.Boyd returns.

Can't remember round 2 but round 3 he was sub and came on in the first quarter.

What I am saying is he had his chance and fluffed it, give someone else a go. He hasn't played a decent game at AFL level since his first year.

GVGjr
08-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Can't remember round 2 but round 3 he was sub and came on in the first quarter.

What I am saying is he had his chance and fluffed it, give someone else a go. He hasn't played a decent game at AFL level since his first year.
Goodes was the sub for both weeks so the stats you quoted don't quite tell the story.
He paid for his bad game against the Hawks and promptly turned in a good performance in the VFL and was back as an emergency the following week. An opportunity has arisen with the injury to Boyd which has given him another chance.

The selectors have been fairly consistent so fluffing a chance in one game won't always get you sent to Coventry.

There is a fair chance he will be the sub again.

Doc26
08-05-2015, 12:29 AM

Yes he was the starting sub in rounds 2 and 3.

Brett came on midway through the 3rd quarter for Cordy in the round 2 game against Richmond. He had 5 touches and didn't influence.

In round 3 he came on early in the 2nd quarter after Moz injured his pectoral. Again 5 touches with minimal influence although he wasn't on his own on this day.

Edit: apologies GVGJr - just noticed that you answered your previous question.

lemmon
08-05-2015, 12:41 AM
If Goodes is going to be playing off half back then I agree, I'd have preferred Hamling or Biggs but I think that's fairly unlikely. Goodes plays because he is one of the few big bodied guys who can play as an inside mid left on the list that isn't injured or already in the side.

I've spoken about it before but guys like Goodes, Kobe, Dickson, Wood, Crameri, Stringer really take on extra importance in getting some big frames around the stoppages and ensuring we aren't simply out muscled. Honeychurch, Dahl and Hrovat are terriers but are slight, Bonti and Macrae are young bodies that need some protection and Smith is back from injury. If Goodes can come in, pick up 8 or 9 contested possessions, lay some tackles and hit some bodies than he's filling a role we need.

Eze Dog
08-05-2015, 01:40 AM
I'm as excited to see Biggs play his first game in the red white and blue as anyone but going off what we have seen this season a player needs to show consistency over a number of games to get a call up and so far Biggs has had one really good game. If he gets 2-3 under his belt then yeah maybe he should be called up in this situation.

As for Tom Campbell, from what I was reading on the website regarding the report on VFL players development the club still isn't quite where they want him after his shoulder reconstruction and can push himself a bit further to get into the team.

I feel Will just doesn't have enough dimensions in his game yet to warrant a call up. Sure Ayce may be pretty ordinary at tap outs and isn't considered anything close to a forward but he can still bring ball to ground like T.Boyd has been doing and from what I understand his defensive work is quite good and his mobility gives him some extra dimensions in other areas. Also this week he's playing against some of the more inexperienced ruckmen in the competition with similar games experience (Longer - 30 games, Hickley - 31 games) as Ayce - 24 games so he might have a better go of it compared to Pike - 95 games or Jacobs - 109 games. If he doesn't at least show a break even hit out performance on Saturday then that might be the time to drop him.

boydogs
08-05-2015, 02:45 AM
I'm expecting a big game from Tom Boyd this week. He has been improving, but it hasn't been as noticeable as we have had some tough opposition and Redpath hasn't been there to take the attention off him. He's kicked 7 goals in the last 3 weeks and will have Cam Delaney this week, I wouldn't be surprised if he has 10 marks and 5 goals

Go_Dogs
08-05-2015, 08:53 AM
I'm ok with the named side.

It doesn't appear Bevo values the ruck in the clearance, with the majority of our goals have been coming from turnovers. I guess we'll see both Boyd and Roughie take a turn in the ruck when required.

Goodes seems a logical replacement for Boyd, despite his relative inexperience at AFL level he is a seasoned campaigner and appeared to be next in line based on being emergency last week.

Glad Hunter gets his chance, I expect he'll be very keen to turn in a strong performance to stay in this exciting (and winning) team.

ReLoad
08-05-2015, 09:30 AM
massive danger game for us and we are ripe for the picking. The saints are well primed for this match and i really don't like our chances, they have some strong body inclusions which will make our young kids work just as hard as last week.

Coupled with the changes to our team, Confidence is low, repeat confidence is low.

(Bevo please bring Minno back, he is ideally suited to this game)

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Goodes gets his chance, not overly upset at this until the Aints beat us and Goodes hardly touches it. Will be closer than I thought with Boyd for Goodes and Cordy staying in the side.

Goodes is not a big bodied player! He rarely tackles, gets contested ball or hits bodies, Bont is more physical than Goodes. Also seasoned campaigner I just don't think that equates to a better performance than Biggs or Hamling at AFL level. He's played more senior football at lower grades, so has Fuller so has the bloke playing FF for Newtown in the GFL. The big bodied, seasoned campaigner argument doesn't wash with me.

Goodes panics with the ball and makes as many bad decisions as any other player out there who has played less than 20 games when the heat is on.

always right
08-05-2015, 10:10 AM
massive danger game for us and we are ripe for the picking. The saints are well primed for this match and i really don't like our chances, they have some strong body inclusions which will make our young kids work just as hard as last week.

Coupled with the changes to our team, Confidence is low, repeat confidence is low.

(Bevo please bring Minno back, he is ideally suited to this game)

If we are talking about horses for courses, last week was the perfect situation for Minson to play...small ground, wet conditions, big bodied opponent. This week we are up against two mobile inexperienced ruckman so I'm struggling to understand why this suits Minson rather than Cordy....leaving aside concerns around Cordy's form.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2015, 10:10 AM
If Goodes is going to be playing off half back then I agree, I'd have preferred Hamling or Biggs but I think that's fairly unlikely. Goodes plays because he is one of the few big bodied guys who can play as an inside mid left on the list that isn't injured or already in the side.

I've spoken about it before but guys like Goodes, Kobe, Dickson, Wood, Crameri, Stringer really take on extra importance in getting some big frames around the stoppages and ensuring we aren't simply out muscled. Honeychurch, Dahl and Hrovat are terriers but are slight, Bonti and Macrae are young bodies that need some protection and Smith is back from injury. If Goodes can come in, pick up 8 or 9 contested possessions, lay some tackles and hit some bodies than he's filling a role we need.

You are right. Kobe was massive last week. Watching the footage again, he was as important as Picken with his physicality.

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Goodes gets his chance, not overly upset at this until the Aints beat us and Goodes hardly touches it. Will be closer than I thought with Boyd for Goodes and Cordy staying in the side.

Goodes is not a big bodied player! He rarely tackles, gets contested ball or hits bodies, Bont is more physical than Goodes. Also seasoned campaigner I just don't think that equates to a better performance than Biggs or Hamling at AFL level. He's played more senior football at lower grades, so has Fuller so has the bloke playing FF for Newtown in the GFL. The big bodied, seasoned campaigner argument doesn't wash with me.

Goodes panics with the ball and makes as many bad decisions as any other player out there who has played less than 20 games when the heat is on.

Goodes has laid 11 tackles in 3 games in 2015, 2 of which he was a sub so that argument doesn't wash with me. He does have a mature body with a mature head on his shoulders. He is excellent at clearing space for other onballers and will hit his opponent hard when needed. Losing players like Jong and Boyd he's a good cover, especially when the other inclusion is Hunter who is more polish than grunt. He's not an ideal player going forward but I can see why he's selected.

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Goodes has laid 11 tackles in 3 games in 2015, 2 of which he was a sub so that argument doesn't wash with me. He does have a mature body with a mature head on his shoulders. He is excellent at clearing space for other onballers and will hit his opponent hard when needed. Losing players like Jong and Boyd he's a good cover, especially when the other inclusion is Hunter who is more polish than grunt. He's not an ideal player going forward but I can see why he's selected.

He came on in the first quarter against Hawthorn and played a full game. 6 contested possessions a match and have you ever seen him use his 'big' body in a contest? Do you think he's a big-bodied contested player?

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 05:23 PM
He came on in the first quarter against Hawthorn and played a full game. 6 contested possessions a match and have you ever seen him use his 'big' body in a contest? Do you think he's a big-bodied contested player?

Yes I have. You're kidding yourself if you don't think he'll hit the play and opponent as hard as he can. He's a fantastic space clearer something I really picked up in the VFL last year and his work inside against West Coast was really strong. He's not the most skillful player and not someone who'll give you 20+ possessions but someone who'll do a lot of things that go unnoticed on the stat sheet one thing a lot of supporters put to much emphasis on. With the loss of some strong inside players he'll be useful on Saturday.

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Ok we'll agree to disagree and I'll revisit this when you have egg on your face, which you invariably will. He's ok when things are good but struggles when the heat is on. I don't even want to hear about VFL comparisons, different kettle of fish entirely.

Look, he's a great story no doubt and I hope he does well I just have zero faith in him.

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Ok we'll agree to disagree and I'll revisit this when you have egg on your face, which you invariably will. He's ok when things are good but struggles when the heat is on. I don't even want to hear about VFL comparisons, different kettle of fish entirely.

Yep, thought you'd be one of those "Told You so" people. :rolleyes:

Enjoy barracking for 21 players and hoping the other guy plays like shit so you can revisit this and rub it in to someone's face on the internets. What a splendid supporter.

LostDoggy
08-05-2015, 06:11 PM
I'm expecting a big game from Tom Boyd this week. He has been improving, but it hasn't been as noticeable as we have had some tough opposition and Redpath hasn't been there to take the attention off him. He's kicked 7 goals in the last 3 weeks and will have Cam Delaney this week, I wouldn't be surprised if he has 10 marks and 5 goals

Same boydogs.
I'm more thinking 10 and 10 though for Boydy.;)

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 07:09 PM
I've been a Bulldog for life you nuff. It has nothing to do with not liking him or not barracking for him. I don't think he's good enough to be in the team. But wait, you'd know what I'm like wouldn't you having met me so many times.

F'scary
08-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Yep, thought you'd be one of those "Told You so" people. :rolleyes:

Enjoy barracking for 21 players and hoping the other guy plays like shit so you can revisit this and rub it in to someone's face on the internets. What a splendid supporter.

No way, we all hope Brett Goodes has a good game tomorrow. But if he doesn't, are we allowed to discuss that?

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 07:41 PM
No way, we all hope Brett Goodes has a good game tomorrow. But if he doesn't, are we allowed to discuss that?

At what point did I say you could not? Just to revisit this if you're proven right just to stick it up someone you disagree with is just petty and childish.

FWIW I think Goodes will struggle to hold onto his spot if any of Jong, Wallis and Boyd are healthy next week regardless of his output tomorrow.

F'scary
08-05-2015, 07:46 PM
At what point did I say you could not? Just to revisit this if you're proven right just to stick it up someone you disagree with is just petty and childish.

FWIW I think Goodes will struggle to hold onto his spot if any of Jong, Wallis and Boyd are healthy next week regardless of his output tomorrow.

I'm sure no-one is going to do that. Let's see how we go. If Goodes has a top match, he could stay in if all three of those guys come back in - someone else may have a poor one.

bornadog
08-05-2015, 08:06 PM

I hope Goodes does play well along with all the players wearing Red White and Blue. He has been chosen by the coach so let's see how he goes.

He is not the future, but I can see he is playing a role whilst we have some injuries.

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 08:10 PM

No you can do that but be prepared to have your loyalty as a supporter called into question by someone you've never met.

I was saying, in a fairly heated way because no doubt I have a short fuse, that I'll revisit the discussion if he has a bad one and then I can re-establish whether the poster still feels the same.

Using the same 'doesn't wash with me approach' was pretty condescending and suggesting I have confirmed that I am a told you so person, and thus a lesser supporter is just plain naive. Particularly when I stated I hope Goodes proves me wrong.

More than happy to discuss further at tomorrows game over a beer. And sorry to drag you into this :)

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 08:20 PM
...while of course being at risk of having egg on my own face.

jeemak
08-05-2015, 08:25 PM

Ten touches in about five quarters of footy.

He was reasonable in spots against WCE, and if possession stats are your thing he was on track for a good game against Richmond with five touches in a bit over a quarter (I personally thought he was off that day), though I don't think anyone can disagree that he was very ordinary against Hawthorn. But he wasn't the only one.

It seems that for now the coaching team wants to see a little more from Biggs and probably aren't sure about his versatility or ability to head into the midfield like Goodes can.

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 08:30 PM
No you can do that but be prepared to have your loyalty as a supporter called into question by someone you've never met.

I was saying, in a fairly heated way because no doubt I have a short fuse, that I'll revisit the discussion if he has a bad one and then I can re-establish whether the poster still feels the same.

Using the same 'doesn't wash with me approach' was pretty condescending and suggesting I have confirmed that I am a told you so person, and thus a lesser supporter is just plain naive. Particularly when I stated I hope Goodes proves me wrong.

More than happy to discuss further at tomorrows game over a beer. And sorry to drag you into this :)

Happy to discuss it Saturday night but threatening to revisit to see "egg on my face" if he has a bad game is pathetic. Never did question your loyalty just motives. I've never understood supporters gagging to one up another one of their own supporters over a keyboard. Seemed to me that's what you're hoping for.

I wasn't being condescending nor trying to be with that comment just something that gets lost over a keyboard. I probably should have used an emoticon after it to show I was using a little gentle joke in a debate. That's me, I can be a little dry. I can see you'd take it the wrong way so I apologise for that.

jeemak
08-05-2015, 08:37 PM
I'm glad we're winning at the moment.

LostDoggy
08-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Hopefully all the eggs are now safely back in the basket :)

There is solid competition for starting positions and with injuries and players being rested we need mature players to come in and play their role within the Team structure . Goodes has had a struggle to get where he is today but he has vital role to play this year coming in and out of the side as needs must , as far as eggs go he's one of the good ones and his use by date is some way off , we all wish him the very best for tomorrow

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Oh look what you're saying is great but you continually use terms like childish, pathetic and you are swearing in your posts and I just don't think it's worth my while carrying on any sort of discussion with someone talking like that. I never attacked you.

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Oh look what you're saying is great but you continually use terms like childish, pathetic and you are swearing in your posts and I just don't think it's worth my while carrying on any sort of discussion with someone talking like that. I never attacked you.

Really not worth talking with someone after threatening to slap them either. My assessment seemed pretty much on the mark unfortunately.

boydogs
08-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Come on guys we're all on the same team here. Be kind to each other :)

1eyedog
08-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Happy to discuss it Saturday night but threatening to revisit to see "egg on my face" if he has a bad game is pathetic. Never did question your loyalty just motives. I've never understood supporters gagging to one up another one of their own supporters over a keyboard. Seemed to me that's what you're hoping for.

I wasn't being condescending nor trying to be with that comment just something that gets lost over a keyboard. I probably should have used an emoticon after it to show I was using a little gentle joke in a debate. That's me, I can be a little dry. I can see you'd take it the wrong way so I apologise for that.

The invitation wasn't extended to you :D

Greystache
08-05-2015, 10:35 PM

There was a player who came on as the sub in round 1 who had 4 disposals and had a thread dedicated to how well he played.

jeemak
08-05-2015, 10:37 PM

Let 'em get it out of their systems.

LostDoggy
08-05-2015, 10:48 PM
Cordy is being played purely to throw the ruck contest. Goodes is almost a playing coach, there for the mature head.

I don't 100% agree with the selections but I think I can see why they're being made and seeing as we're flying at the moment I'm prepared to fly in the face of popular thinking and just acknowledge that our match committee know more about picking a football team than we do. Beveridge has made it crystal clear in a number of pressers now that he places very little value on hit-outs. Whatever Ayce is doing without possession is obviously contributing more to what the MC want out of the game plan than what Minson or Campbell are providing/could provide.

F'scary
08-05-2015, 11:11 PM

Be Goodes to one another.

jeemak
08-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Cordy is being played purely to throw the ruck contest. Goodes is almost a playing coach, there for the mature head.

I don't 100% agree with the selections but I think I can see why they're being made and seeing as we're flying at the moment I'm prepared to fly in the face of popular thinking and just acknowledge that our match committee know more about picking a football team than we do. Beveridge has made it crystal clear in a number of pressers now that he places very little value on hit-outs. Whatever Ayce is doing without possession is obviously contributing more to what the MC want out of the game plan than what Minson or Campbell are providing/could provide.

The one thing that I can see Ayce doing well week in week out is positioning himself in the team defence structure and being positioned well for the bail out on the flanks. To me that's not enough, but it's definitely something Will has always struggled with.

I've got no doubt though that if Campbell puts another decent game or two together at VFL level (on the stats sheet, and influencing in the way the coaches want him to) and Ayce doesn't improve then Campbell will get his chance.

On Campbell, I find it interesting that on exposed form in the ruck he hasn't had any greater influence than Cordy, nor has he had better form in the VFL over an extended period but he seems to many to be the obvious answer to our woes in light of Minson not being the coach's choice. People often talk about Cordy being retained and persevered with due to his high draft position, but on the flip-side I think that in terms of expectation Campbell benefits from being selected via the rookie system and having low expectations to live up to (on top of not being Ayce Cordy).

It's always interesting to see how different players are measured.

bornadog
09-05-2015, 12:24 AM
There was a player who came on as the sub in round 1 who had 4 disposals and had a thread dedicated to how well he played.

What is the satisfaction you get out of bagging a player for 7 years?

Frankly we get it you don't like Grant.

jeemak
09-05-2015, 12:25 AM
What is the satisfaction you get out of bagging a player for 7 years?

Frankly we get it you don't like Grant.

I reckon if anything he's bagging the way opinions are set and exercised rather than players.

This is just another issue that comes down to perspective and preferences, and I really can't understand why anyone takes note of either so much when it comes to our playing group. None of the periphery players are perfect, or worth pinning colours to the mast over so strongly, but it seems to happen a lot.

bornadog
09-05-2015, 12:27 AM
I reckon if anything he's bagging the way opinions are set and exercised rather than players.

This is just another issue that comes down to perspective and preferences, and I really can't understand why anyone sticks note of either so much when it comes to our playing group.

I don't think so.

Greystache
09-05-2015, 02:22 AM

This is just another issue that comes down to perspective and preferences, and I really can't understand why anyone takes note of either so much when it comes to our playing group. None of the periphery players are perfect, or worth pinning colours to the mast over so strongly, but it seems to happen a lot.

Bingo.

Some people will only see the negatives in some players, yet will ignore them totally in others. The way they'll constantly criticize one limited player while so ferociously defending another who's just as limited really is a strange thing.

jeemak
09-05-2015, 02:35 AM
Bingo.

Some people will only see the negatives in some players, yet will ignore them totally in others. The way they'll constantly criticize one limited player while so ferociously defending another who's just as limited really is a strange thing.

But, we're all guilty of it from time to time. Most of the things that are player specific that I post have a reasonable amount of bias in them, I think we get into trouble when we can't admit that, or push a barrow so hard that we forget it.

Avoid the rush
09-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Lin Jong......Easton Wood......Liam Picken......Tory Dickson...... Matty Boyd.......Koby Stevens.......Jason Johannisen etc all players who have been bagged unmercifully on this and other forums. Look at 'em now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what should set Bulldog SUPPORTERS apart, is just that!!! We should SUPPORT!!
Bingo.

LostDoggy
09-05-2015, 10:46 AM
The one thing that I can see Ayce doing well week in week out is positioning himself in the team defence structure and being positioned well for the bail out on the flanks. To me that's not enough, but it's definitely something Will has always struggled with.

I've got no doubt though that if Campbell puts another decent game or two together at VFL level (on the stats sheet, and influencing in the way the coaches want him to) and Ayce doesn't improve then Campbell will get his chance.

On Campbell, I find it interesting that on exposed form in the ruck he hasn't had any greater influence than Cordy, nor has he had better form in the VFL over an extended period but he seems to many to be the obvious answer to our woes in light of Minson not being the coach's choice. People often talk about Cordy being retained and persevered with due to his high draft position, but on the flip-side I think that in terms of expectation Campbell benefits from being selected via the rookie system and having low expectations to live up to (on top of not being Ayce Cordy).

It's always interesting to see how different players are measured.Campbell vfl form last year was pretty good came too 5 in the vfl brownlow and missed a few games.

Mantis
09-05-2015, 11:48 AM

He sounded that way when quizzed about Pyke's dominance, but when hit out wins = clearance wins it becomes an issue and places increased pressure on our defensive structures and personnel.

bornadog
09-05-2015, 11:58 AM
He sounded that way when quizzed about Pyke's dominance, but when hit out wins = clearance wins it becomes an issue and places increased pressure on our defensive structures and personnel.
Exactly, wait till we play Freo

Ghost Dog
09-05-2015, 12:25 PM

Can't wait. Win or lose, it will be a real acid test, as was the Sydney game.

LostDoggy
09-05-2015, 02:15 PM

Freo will likely be thinking the same thing. So yeah, can't wait to see what we have in store for them.

Despite all the hype this week, we are still the hunter.