PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid the let down V St.Kilda

azabob
02-05-2015, 10:32 PM
4-1 is a brilliant start to the year.

Going into Round 6 V St.Kilda this will be the first game were we are clear favourites and will be expected to win and win well.

How do the coaching team ensure we don't have a let down this week? Both mentally and physically.

Especially considering the game against Sydney was played in very trying and tiring conditions - both mentally and physically.

From an external perspective this game is the most important game we have played so far in 2015.

We cannot afford to drop this game.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2015, 10:38 PM
I think swap rucks which the players know is an improvement.
I think give a young player a break (Honey maybe) and bring in Dale and have youthful excitement coming through.
Train hard, keep the vibe and keep doing what we are doing.
Tell them not to get ahead and hope they listen.

1eyedog
02-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Show them our Prelim finals losses to the Saints and tell them that we owe that club a shellacking every time we play them for the next 5 years.

F'scary
02-05-2015, 11:27 PM
Good question. Pick the best players available, do not lairise by choosing games like the Saints to blood new players or to give players who haven't gotten a game a go for the sake of it. That is asking for trouble.

Therefore, Minson back in as first ruck. Probably include Hunter for Clay Smith, who needs to tune up a little more after a long lay off. Would have to look at Roberts if a specific match-up is not there.

Maddog37
02-05-2015, 11:31 PM
I would leave Roberts at full back or CHB and let Rough ruck with Boyd. Drop Ayce and bring in Hamling/Biggs or Hunter depending on match ups.

1eyedog
03-05-2015, 12:32 AM
I would leave Roberts at full back or CHB and let Rough ruck with Boyd. Drop Ayce and bring in Hamling/Biggs or Hunter depending on match ups.

Tempted to do this and bring back Grant

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 12:34 AM
I thought Clay Smith did fine for a bloke who hasn't played in this team for a long time.

Greystache
03-05-2015, 01:39 AM
It would be great if Boyd could kick 5 or 6 next week. He's kicked 7 in the past 3 weeks vs 3 top 4 teams, hopefully he can fill his boots against a minnow just to make a statement.

Twodogs
03-05-2015, 02:17 AM
It would be great if Boyd could kick 5 or 6 next week. He's kicked 7 in the past 3 weeks vs 3 top 4 teams, hopefully he can fill his boots against a minnow just to make a statement.

He's been good and is starting to kick goals to complement all the hard contesting he does when he's no chance to mark the ball but does enough to bring it to ground and the work he does as far up as the wing winning contests and shooting handballs out to teammates.

But I get the feeling that he's not far off a bag of 5 or 6.

Twodogs
03-05-2015, 02:19 AM
I thought Clay Smith did fine for a bloke who hasn't played in this team for a long time.

apart from last week.

Twodogs
03-05-2015, 02:23 AM
I think this group will be pretty keen to not get sidetracked this week. They keep impressing so I'm going to put my faith in them not to drop their bundle and take the Saints lightly.

ledge
03-05-2015, 02:45 AM
I think they will party tonight then Bevo will pull them in for a st kilda team study today and yesterday is forgotten. In the words of whoever "next!"

Remi Moses
03-05-2015, 03:09 AM
Think they might be to stuffed to party . We need to bring every part of our game even against an inferior opponent .
Don't bring our standards the opposition sit waiting with a baseball bat.( sorry to go all Ross Lyon )

GVGjr
03-05-2015, 07:29 AM

He's doing well without getting the acknowledgments he deserves, I'd be more than happy if he kicks 3 goals against the Saints and then the same against Fremantle but yes a bag of 5 would be great for him.

I didn't have him pegged to kick that many goals for the season but maybe 30 goals is now a realistic target.

Twodogs
03-05-2015, 07:44 AM
He's doing well without getting the acknowledgments he deserves, I'd be more than happy if he kicks 3 goals against the Saints and then the same against Fremantle but yes a bag of 5 would be great for him.

I didn't have him pegged to kick that many goals for the season but maybe 30 goals is now a realistic target.

Does that include finals? :)

I think 25-30 would be a terrific return for him.

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 10:01 AM
apart from last week.

It takes more than two weeks to find your place in a team, especially one as cohesive as ours at the moment.

I think the important factor in avoiding the let down is consistency. Make as few changes as possible unless sore bodies dictate otherwise. Cordy stays. Clay stays.

bornadog
03-05-2015, 10:03 AM
We have to approach this game just like we have other games and not think Saints are easy beats. We can't get ahead of ourselves, its a long season and these are the games we need to win.

chef
03-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Tempted to do this and bring back Grant

How did he go yesterday?

Would have thought they'd be a few in front of him in the queue to get in the side.

chef
03-05-2015, 10:10 AM
We have to approach this game just like we have other games and not think Saints are easy beats. We can't get ahead of ourselves, its a long season and these are the games we need to win.

Yep, just treat it as any other game and everything will sort it self out.

Eastdog
25-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Bump.

I'm sure we have learnt and this time will get it right.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-06-2015, 06:44 PM
I would hope the players are burning over what happened last time.

I know I still am.

Eastdog
25-06-2015, 07:28 PM
I would hope the players are burning over what happened last time.

I know I still am.

It should never happen.

Remi Moses
25-06-2015, 07:56 PM
The narrative if we win will be we should be beating someone we're ahead of in development , but the reality is they've stacked their team with experience .
I'm surprised they didn't elevate Sinclair ahead of Schneider to be honest.
He won't play a role in their next push, and to Trott out the " coaching onfield" line is total nonsense.
They're where we were placed 2 years ago, with their team carried by their oldies with a few kids coming along with the ride, and not much in between .

F'scary
25-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Yep, just treat it as any other game and everything will sort it self out.

Good bump, Easty. Very interesting reading the thread, given the extraordinary outcome of the match.

comrade
25-06-2015, 08:43 PM
You'd think we've set ourselves for this one, like the GWS game.

Won't be shocked if we come out and blitz them in the first quarter. Let's hope we're smart enough to lower the tempo when necessary.

LostDoggy
26-06-2015, 07:49 AM
You'd think we've set ourselves for this one, like the GWS game.

Won't be shocked if we come out and blitz them in the first quarter. Let's hope we're smart enough to lower the tempo when necessary.

Im hoping we set ourselves for every game what ever that means.

Mantis
26-06-2015, 09:29 AM
We had some key outs last time and 2 big losses mid game... The emotional toll around losing Clay as it's told had a huge effect on the playing group.

As much as it still pains me that we gave up a 9 goal lead, we played some damn good footy that they had no answer to early on and all things being equal we won't be running on empty in the 2nd half this week.