PDA

View Full Version : A call to the AFL

GVGjr
03-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Dear Gil,

You run the AFL and your mantra in the 2015 season was that it would be all about the fans. That sounds great and I'm sure the cheap pies will be welcomed by a number of supporters but have you really done enough?

The problem Gil is you are actually denying the AFL Australian fans the chance to see one of the most inspiring, hard working and results orientated team the competition has ever seen because of poor scheduling.
How can it be all about the fans if you deny the football world the chance to see the Western Bulldogs on prime time?

Truly being all about the fans is showcasing the best games at the best times so that the Football world gets to see them. You can grow the competition better by giving the all about the fans what they really need to see. It would be great for us but more importantly great for the all about the fans.

If an unheralded Australian tennis player had knocked off a couple of seeded players in the Australian Open would they schedule he/she's next game on a Monday afternoon or would they give all about the fans the chance to see their new hero play in the prime time?
The administrators of the Australian Open really understand what all about the fans truly means.

Gil, have a look at the schedule, does Carlton really need what you have gifted them? After an outstanding run is Geelong measuring up this year? C'mon, the Tigers and don't get me started on the Bombers?

Being the leader is about making the tough calls, have a look at the scheduling and make some adjustments. It can't be that hard.

Cheap Pies is at best a token gesture especially when the AFL's best kept secret is screaming out to be shared. The story writes itself.

Gil, give the all about the fans what they really need, the Western Bulldogs prime time.

ledge
03-05-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm sure the tv stations would love us to be prime time also , especially how people are turning off the tv at halftime on Friday night Carlton games.

Go_Dogs
03-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Well said.

Twodogs
03-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Beautifully said Gary.

C'mon Gil, be a leader. Be all about the fans.

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Looking at the upcoming games before the Round 11 bye - The Fremantle game at Etihad Stadium and the Port Adelaide game at Adelaide Oval both deserve to be televised , and from now till the end of the season we don't have any Friday night games and the Round 12 and Round 23 games against Brisbane should be swapped around so the game at Etihad Stadium is our home game in the final round

bornadog
03-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Exactly what we all think, thanks GVGjr. Send him the letter signed and backed by all WOOFERS and Doggies fans.

azabob
03-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Whilst getting my morning coffee this morning i was flicking through the sun and there was a snippet on Gill and he is on the record saying he loves our exciting brand of footy.

Whilst i agree with the OP, Gill isnt to blame.
Is it practical to have a flexable fixture which the tv prime time games are decided in say 8 weekly blocks to ensure this doesnt happen in the future?

KT31
03-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Gil just, Be More Bulldog!

GVGjr
03-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Whilst getting my morning coffee this morning i was flicking through the sun and there was a snippet on Gill and he is on the record saying he loves our exciting brand of footy.

Whilst i agree with the OP, Gill isnt to blame.
Is it practical to have a flexable fixture which the tv prime time games are decided in say 8 weekly blocks to ensure this doesnt happen in the future?

As Ledge pointed out, Joe Average all about the fans gets home on Friday after a long hard week and is flicking the channel after half time because having to watch the Blues dole out another weak performance is not something he wants to see. That can't be good for the game.

We would give the average all about the fans a genuine reason to watch it through.
Gil might not be the problem but he could be the solution.

1eyedog
03-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Great thread. It's time the AFL put their equalisation 'good will' into practice and started supporting the whole competition rather than the cliche select few. Imagine a Collingwood / Bulldogs game this Friday night at the G. Just about every neutral fan would tune in.

ledge
03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
I hope some journos are reading this thread, get On your type writer boys and start publishing this fact #allabouthefans

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Carlton have 5 or 6 Friday nights, this is a travesty or the highest order.

Realistically though, they won't be changing the fixture this year. What can we and the club do to push our way to front and centre next year? Let's start the push now.

KT31
03-05-2015, 03:01 PM
According to the Hun, Gil has said the Dogs are playing the most exciting brand of football he has seen in years.
Hopefully he backs up his words and it will transpire into better time slots and a fairer go for us.

firstdogonthemoon
03-05-2015, 03:42 PM
I agree wholeheartedly - and who on earth gives Carlton 5 Friday night games? How does anyone get 5 Friday night games (except of course the pies - if I recall there is something in the Bible about giving as many friday/saturday night games to Collingwood as possible). The fix is in on the fixture, always has been.

Twodogs
03-05-2015, 03:52 PM
I agree wholeheartedly - and who on earth gives Carlton 5 Friday night games? How does anyone get 5 Friday night games (except of course the pies - if I recall there is something in the Bible about giving as many friday/saturday night games to Collingwood as possible). The fix is in on the fixture, always has been.

6 I think.

AndrewP6
03-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Good call (although I do like the cheap pies!)

boydogs
03-05-2015, 08:45 PM
6 I think.

It's 6 plus the Thursday to start the season off

Twodogs
03-05-2015, 09:53 PM
It's 6 plus the Thursday to start the season off

May as well have made it all 22.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2015, 10:01 PM
May as well have made it all 22.

Why not have their VFL affiliate in the AFL TV time slot on their byes too?

Ghost Dog
03-05-2015, 10:29 PM
I love the sentiment. Still, this is the first season in a while we've been that watchable.
As much as I would like us to be prime time, the reality is, when you finish bottom of the ladder for a long stretch, with a small number of supporters, that's what you get.

GVGjr
03-05-2015, 10:51 PM
I love the sentiment. Still, this is the first season in a while we've been that watchable.
As much as I would like us to be prime time, the reality is, when you finish bottom of the ladder for a long stretch, with a small number of supporters, that's what you get.

All excellent points you have raised but Carlton finished just one position above us on the ladder last year and have been given a significantly better exposure to the prime time games. Yes they can draw a crowd but I don't think I could watch a night of them without finding something better on the tele.

I had seven calls or text messages straight after the Bulldogs win and none of them were from Bulldog supporting friends. All of them were hugely complementary on the way we played and gutted it out. This happened against the Crows as well.
Everyone is enjoying the way we are playing. Now if the AFL wants to ensure the majority of people stay tuned to these prime time games they need to do a lot better than having Carlton in them.

Ozza
04-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Its bloody torture being subjected to Carlton on a Friday night. I fell asleep at the 5 minute mark of the second quarter on Friday night.

They are a bland, 'going nowhere' sort of club/list.

KT31
04-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Its bloody torture being subjected to Carlton on a Friday night. I fell asleep at the 5 minute mark of the second quarter on Friday night.

I flicked it over early and Pitch Perfect was on another channel, my misses asked me to leave it on and I thought what the heck at least I might get to see a more competitive contest.

bornadog
04-05-2015, 12:55 PM
I flicked it over early and Pitch Perfect was on another channel, my misses asked me to leave it on and I thought what the heck at least I might get to see a more competitive contest.

Funny :D

Cyberdoggie
04-05-2015, 01:52 PM
I think we all know it's all smoke and mirrors.

Apart from getting rid of sunday night and Monday night games, all the other changes in regards to scheduling, food, and stadium upgrades have been about making more money for the AFL and the bigger clubs.

Scheduling: It's actually worse for us this year. Take a look at our home games, the only Melbourne based teams we play home games against are Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and StKilda. Only 1 of those games is a big game crowd and it's on a sunday.

Food: Chips, all they have done is introduce a 'regular' size chips under $5 and made the previous size which is now a large more expensive. Beer I believe they have done the same thing? from what I have heard. The pies on sunday arvo are the only one that seems to be genuine cheaper price, albeit at selected outlets.

Stadium Upgrades: This one is a real farce! The led lighting is the most annoying form of advertising I have ever seen. It actually gives me a headache and motion sickness when that Bet365 add pops up. Free Wireless at Etihad my rear, you don't get anything for free, when I tried to connect to it I realized it was just big data farming. They want all your details so they can sell it off to others so you can get spammed.

The AFL and the Stadiums have always acted in their best interests but now it is just so unashamedly obvious.
They offer you a candy with one hand while they are pick pocketing your wallet with the other.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2015, 01:59 PM
All excellent points you have raised but Carlton finished just one position above us on the ladder last year and have been given a significantly better exposure to the prime time games. Yes they can draw a crowd but I don't think I could watch a night of them without finding something better on the tele.

I had seven calls or text messages straight after the Bulldogs win and none of them were from Bulldog supporting friends. All of them were hugely complementary on the way we played and gutted it out. This happened against the Crows as well.
Everyone is enjoying the way we are playing. Now if the AFL wants to ensure the majority of people stay tuned to these prime time games they need to do a lot better than having Carlton in them.

The league - as money hungry as we all know they are - will no doubt be hoping we keep playing the way we do.
As for Carlton, they have a lot of support in the business end of town. No doubt the AFL will extend them a much longer line of credit than we would get, in terms of scheduling.
Our brand has suffered over the years and it would be expected to take some time to claw back. I agree - I hope not too long!
Recruiting Tom Boyd, having stringer and Bont is really going to help us in this regard - people want to be entertained.

In all of this I can't help feeling for Brendan. I took some kids to see us play two seasons back and it was all arses in the air around a pack. All the kids wanted to leave as it was so boring. But that was what he had to do to instill non-negotiables. It's been a tough road, and we have to recoup on our investment asap. As you have intimated GVG, no point whining, get letter writing and let the AFL know we want better slots.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2015, 02:01 PM

Apart from getting rid of sunday night and Monday night games, all the other changes in regards to scheduling, food, and stadium upgrades have been about making more money for the AFL and the bigger clubs.

Scheduling: It's actually worse for us this year. Take a look at our home games, the only Melbourne based teams we play home games against are Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and StKilda. Only 1 of those games is a big game crowd and it's on a sunday.

Food: Chips, all they have done is introduce a 'regular' size chips under $5 and made the previous size which is now a large more expensive. Beer I believe they have done the same thing? from what I have heard. The pies on sunday arvo are the only one that seems to be genuine cheaper price, albeit at selected outlets.

Stadium Upgrades: This one is a real farce! The led lighting is the most annoying form of advertising I have ever seen. It actually gives me a headache and motion sickness when that Bet365 add pops up. Free Wireless at Etihad my rear, you don't get anything for free, when I tried to connect to it I realized it was just big data farming. They want all your details so they can sell it off to others so you can get spammed.

The AFL and the Stadiums have always acted in their best interests but now it is just so unashamedly obvious.
They offer you a candy with one hand while they are pick pocketing your wallet with the other.

If we make finals, will you be worried about this fixture? While I get your point, playing Collingwood, Carlton, St Kilda and Melb are games we stand a good chance of winning and I would rather we do this in Melbourne.

craigsahibee
04-05-2015, 05:02 PM

I actually fell asleep before the first bounce. Only woke up when my phone rang 12 minutes in.

Remi Moses
04-05-2015, 05:28 PM
The Brisbane Roar Adelaide game was heaps better.
Great points G, and the whole contrived fixture is one giant contradiction .

Twodogs
04-05-2015, 06:00 PM
If we make finals, will you be worried about this fixture? While I get your point, playing Collingwood, Carlton, St Kilda and Melb are games we stand a good chance of winning and I would rather we do this in Melbourne.

They said on SEN the other day we play St Kilda and Melbourne twice because they finished in the same part of the ladder as us. The draw is weighted so that teams play the other teams that they finished near the next year twice. It means we have a lot of winnable games.

Cyberdoggie
04-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Results aside tell me how often we play Essendon away games at Etihad on better time slots for ratings and corporate etc (ie night games) and how often we play them in the reverse fixture same year on a sunday afternoon?

It's been happening for years, nothing will change.

LostDoggy
04-05-2015, 08:55 PM
While we're mentioning things that have changed but not for the better at Etihad....Why can you now only buy hot donuts inside the stadium in bags of 4 at a cost of $7.00? I don't want 4 and I thought we were all supposed to be worrying about the obesity crisis!!!!

LostDoggy
05-05-2015, 09:45 AM
While we're mentioning things that have changed but not for the better at Etihad....Why can you now only buy hot donuts inside the stadium in bags of 4 at a cost of $7.00? I don't want 4 and I thought we were all supposed to be worrying about the obesity crisis!!!!

Four donuts won't kill ya. Scoff away.

KT31
05-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Four donuts won't kill ya. Scoff away.

Could end up with a nasty jam burn though.

LostDoggy
05-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Could end up with a nasty jam burn though.

But that's the kind of pain Liam Picken feels — the kind where you just relish the deliciousness of all that hurt.

craigsahibee
05-05-2015, 03:04 PM

I'm with you on that. I need 6 to get me home to Mooroolbark.

Doc26
05-05-2015, 03:37 PM

Scheduling: It's actually worse for us this year. Take a look at our home games, the only Melbourne based teams we play home games against are Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and StKilda. Only 1 of those games is a big game crowd and it's on a sunday..

Six weeks into the season, and as exciting as our on field performance has been thus far, this week will be the first opportunity for many Bulldog supporters to see the team play live, particularly those with school age children.

This point may not resonate with the younger or most dedicated of Woof forum members but our first home game, in the first week of the season against the Eagles, fell over the Easter and school holiday weekend, where many families like mine would've been away, and our next and only other home game to date, against the Crows in round 4, was scheduled at that family unfriendly time of 4:40 pm on a Sunday. For many with children, the idea of getting home ~8:15pm - ~8:30pm on a Sunday evening is simply not a realistic proposition.

Given this, I find it a wasted opportunity that we could not have negotiated our Cairns replacement game (Round 13 against St.Kilda) to be at the MCG in Round 2 against Richmond which would've provided a membership incentive opportunity for us.

So this week's Round 6 encounter against the Saints on Saturday at 2:10pm is our first opportunity to get a 'bumper' crowd of Bulldogs along.

Lets hope it does, as it should, provide a spike in support and in memberships.