North A
Brisbane A

Can we play finals?

chef
03-05-2015, 01:13 PM
I think we will.

westdog54
03-05-2015, 01:17 PM
I've counted 8 games in there that I would be bitterly disappointed to lose based on our current form.

So yes, I also believe we can.

ledge
03-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Maybe I'm dreaming but I count 11 we could win

whythelongface
03-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Looking at the draw I think we can win 10 of those games, if not more

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 01:31 PM
The real question is how many finals we'll play. :D

My tip is 3. With a week's break.

SlimPickens
03-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Rohan Connelly thinks that we'll be 12-3 at round 15. That kind of talk makes me nervous.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2015, 01:53 PM
I tipped we would play finals before the season started in another thread. I see no reason to change my mind.;)

Rocco Jones
03-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Our first two games involved playing the top two away and playing another side that looks/looked top 6-8. The lowest ranked side we have played is currently 9th. The draw should open up. The obvious issue is young bodies/long season but 'can we do it?' Yes, we definitely can.

Remi Moses
03-05-2015, 01:58 PM
I'd hate to take jam out of everyone's donut , but I just think we'll fade in the second half of the year.
Collingwood last year are a prime example( Gold Coast) that young teams tend to find the going tough in the second half of the year.
Fingers and toes crossed I'm wrong

Bulldog4life
03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
I'd hate to take jam out of everyone's donut , but I just think we'll fade in the second half of the year.
Collingwood last year are a prime example( Gold Coast) that young teams tend to find the going tough in the second half of the year.

The baby bombers didn't. Maybe the baby bulldogs won't either.

SonofScray
03-05-2015, 02:04 PM
We will win a premiership this season. Maybe even two.

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
I believe we should win 9 more. Win our first final against Esssendon and then get knocked out by Freo over there.

However, there is every chance our young team will drop off or become less consistent. And that will be ok, we are going in the right direction.

bornadog
03-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Saints H
Melbourne A
Giants
Brisbane H
Saints A
Carlton H
Melbourne H
Brisbane A

All the ones we should win.

We could pinch a couple more - Essendon, Collingwood, Suns and even Geelong

Remi Moses
03-05-2015, 02:23 PM

God I hope I'm wrong though.
The game is just so much more physical and quick than in that era though,and young kids tend to find it gruelling.
Just my opinion

bornadog
03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
The game is just so much more physical and quick than in that era though,and young kids tend to find it gruelling.
Just my opinion

We still have Wallis, Minson, Grant, Redpath, Campbell, Hunter, Biggs, Darley that can replace some young legs in the second half.

LostDoggy
03-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Just my opinion

You may be right, but what fun is that?

Give me my bloody jam back.

Eastdog
03-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Hard to say at the moment but if we keeping playing the way we are we can for sure make finals. As a few have said it wouldn't shock me if we had a slump in the middle second half oft he year as we have a very young side but as long as we put the efforts in each week and are competitive that's the main thing. Finals would be great experience for our young group. Even if you lose a final by a lot I still think it's important to learn from it and come back better next time in the finals.

Greystache
03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Without any surprise upsets I have us on 13 wins which would have us 6-8.

Eastdog
03-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Without any surprise upsets I have us on 13 wins which would have us 6-8.

Potential home elimination final :)

It's nice to be talking about finals involving out club. We haven't been in them for nearly 5 years now.

Greystache
03-05-2015, 02:50 PM
The myth of the baby bombers was just that, a myth. They weren't a young team, their average age was 24 which is bang in the average range of premiers. Collingwood in 2010 were younger.

Eastdog
03-05-2015, 02:55 PM

How great that would be and the post match celebrations at the Whitten Oval the next day. West Footscray station would be the busiest station that day 😀

KT31
03-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Talk about the lid being blown off.:)

If we keep going as we are we will definitely play finals, but September is a long way off and we need to keep our heads and stay committed.

bornadog
03-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Talk about the lid being blown off.:)

If we keep going as we are we will definitely play finals, but September is a long way off and we need to keep our heads and stay committed.

Stevens asked about finals:

the 23-year-old Stevens cautions there is still a long way to go in the home-and-away season.Asked after Saturday's match if the team had the ability to make the finals, Stevens said: "It's round five, but that's the end goal."
"We don't want to get too carried away, we will just take it one game at a time and just keep growing as a group and keep getting better."

Bulldog4life
03-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Just my opinion

Agree Remi. It is the super optimist in me coming out.

Bulldog Joe
03-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Rohan Connelly thinks that we'll be 12-3 at round 15. That kind of talk makes me nervous.

I predicted 7-2 after 9 in the pre-season thread of where will we finish. That also extended to 12-3 after 15.

I was counting a loss to Sydney, but Freon are better than I expected.

From here I think we need 9 wins to make the 8.

I was optimistic pre-season, but I now believe we are better than I thought and top 4 is now possible.

The fixture does open up for us.

I had a bet to make the 8 at $13 and took another server last week at $4.50. Also had a little interest on the top 4 at $26.

Feeling pretty good about everything footy related.

Maddog37
03-05-2015, 04:17 PM
We still have Wallis, Minson, Grant, Redpath, Campbell, Hunter, Biggs, Darley that can replace some young legs in the second half.

And Morris. I feel Dale, Daniels and Hamling have something to contribute this year as well. Wonder what Libba is thinking........

FrediKanoute
03-05-2015, 04:38 PM

The Baby Bombers were a bit of a misnomer. The young guys in that 1993 team were Hird, Mecuri, Misiti, Olarenshaw, Calthorpe and Fletcher - 5 kids. There may have been a couple of others I can't remember. The rest were hard bodied experienced players with more than we have.

Our start has been great, but 1) we have taken sides by surprise; 2) we have played a fast high tempo, high pressure game that will sap us; and 3) injuries and niggles will mount.

Do I think we will make the 8? Yes....we have enigh games against the likes of he Saints, Lions, Blues to get us almost there.

1eyedog
03-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Of course we will, but I've maintained that from the last 'where will we finish poll'.

westdog54
03-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Saints H
Melbourne A
Giants
Brisbane H
Saints A
Carlton H
Melbourne H
Brisbane A

All the ones we should win.

We could pinch a couple more - Essendon, Collingwood, Suns and even Geelong

Yep they were my eight as well.

hujsh
03-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Do we expect the Suns to be harder to beat than the Giants or Melbourne? I'd have them penciled in before the other two at this stage

Raw Toast
03-05-2015, 06:21 PM
We definitely can, not yet convinced that we will (nor prepared to say that we will) but enjoying the ride at the moment. We held on against the Tiges and Swans with very little run in the second half, but clearly have belief (and some character!) in spades at the moment.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Peter Gordon: "I'm not sure where we will end up. All I know is that we will always turn up."

Flamethrower
03-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Saints looked very good today....they wont be a pushover next week.

Having followed this game and this team for many decades, all I know is that teams that get ahead of themselves often fall flat and end up with a copious volume of egg upon their collective faces.

bornadog
03-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Yep they were my eight as well.

I think we can beat Essendon as well.

boydogs
03-05-2015, 08:28 PM
In an 18 team comp, 12 wins might not mean finals. A few teams may flounder and donate wins to everyone who plays them and make it 13 wins to make the top 8. The games against Essendon, Collingwood, Geelong will be 8 pointers

The upshot is we need to playing how are we now all year, which is a big ask

Ozza
04-05-2015, 12:14 AM
I just want to win next week!
After that I'll think about.............round 7!

But yes, we will play finals.

Remi Moses
04-05-2015, 04:43 AM
In this Comp don't bring your game and teams wait with a baseball bat !
I actually think Saturday's our biggest test

azabob
04-05-2015, 07:24 AM
In this Comp don't bring your game and teams wait with a baseball bat !
I actually think Saturday's our biggest test

Totally agree Remi.

For the first time this year we will be favourites and expected to win well.

LostDoggy
04-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Next week is finals week for me. Training to and from on the Sandy line, I can't even begin to fathom a loss. Geez I hope we are switched on and bring our A game.

Keep playing like we are playing and we will make finals.

craigsahibee
04-05-2015, 01:12 PM
I'm not getting involved in this thread for purely superstitious reasons.

#oneweekatatime

Twodogs
04-05-2015, 01:15 PM
I'm not getting involved in this thread for purely superstitious reasons.

#oneweekatatime

I'm not going to post in it.

bornadog
04-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm not going to post in it.
you just did

Go_Dogs
04-05-2015, 01:23 PM
you just did

Shall I delete it? :)

Mantis
04-05-2015, 02:26 PM
I said no.. On Saturday's performance we are a lock, but I'm not sure we can sustain it over an entire season, but happy to be proven wrong.

Jam Donuts
04-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Gee Remi, that hurts!!!

Jam Donuts
04-05-2015, 02:39 PM

Gee Remi that hurts!!

always right
04-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Time to come clean. Booked a holiday in Italy for a month in mid September very confident that we would not be competing in finals this year. Starting to feel quite anxious.....not so much for missing the finals but what will I do if the miracle of us reaching a grand final eventuates? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but.....

1eyedog
04-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Time to come clean. Booked a holiday in Italy for a month in mid September very confident that we would not be competing in finals this year. Starting to feel quite anxious.....not so much for missing the finals but what will I do if the miracle of us reaching a grand final eventuates? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but.....

Jump on WOOF. I'll keep you updated from the ground via mobile :D

Happy Days
04-05-2015, 03:09 PM

In June 2012 I went to Europe for 4.5 months, on the condition that "if we make the Grand Final I'm definitely coming home"; we all know how THAT went.

Have a great trip :)

Happy Days
04-05-2015, 03:10 PM
BTW we're definitely playing finals we rock.

Mofra
04-05-2015, 03:32 PM
The "Baby Bombers" were largely a mature, older team.
Sheedy's spin didn't make them any younger.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Saints looked very good today....they wont be a pushover next week.

Having followed this game and this team for many decades, all I know is that teams that get ahead of themselves often fall flat and end up with a copious volume of egg upon their collective faces.

Tend to follow this sentiment too. Lets start asking such questions after we smash the saints this week, because if we fall flat, like we so often have in the past, then we'll look a bit silly.

We need to put the foot on the throat of teams we are expected to beat. We haven't done that this year yet - this is our first opportunity. I like what we are doing and what we have done, but this weekends game i think could be the most telling of all the games so far this season

LostDoggy
04-05-2015, 03:43 PM

I've done exactly the same but am a little more local so a bit easier than Europe! Will miss the prelim (reluctantly) but will move heaven and earth if we made the big dance.

bornadog
04-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Jump on a plane, watch the GF and then go back.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2015, 05:14 PM
I said no.. On Saturday's performance we are a lock, but I'm not sure we can sustain it over an entire season, but happy to be proven wrong.

How dare you be rational and level-headed after Saturday!

You're spot on though, it's a long season and we've got a blend of quite old and quite young players who are driving our performance at the moment. We're going to need to manage them carefully over the balance of the season - the older ones with a view to finals and the younger ones with a long term view.

I had turned my mind to us being 0 - 5 at the start of the year and the draw opens up for us now, so I've voted yes, but there's a lot that needs to go right and plenty of hard(er) work to be done to make it a reality.

ledge
04-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Tend to follow this sentiment too. Lets start asking such questions after we smash the saints this week, because if we fall flat, like we so often have in the past, then we'll look a bit silly.

We need to put the foot on the throat of teams we are expected to beat. We haven't done that this year yet - this is our first opportunity. I like what we are doing and what we have done, but this weekends game i think could be the most telling of all the games so far this season

We beat Adelaide by 57 points and were 75 up At one stage , they were the top side at the time , what more do
You want?

Ghost Dog
04-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Just my opinion

We definitely can't play full on football all the time with such a young team. I would hope Luke would teach the boys to control the play, and take their legs into the following week, rather than waste them on a toasted opponent in the last quarter. I'm happy to see Stringer kick a bag then ice the big fella. Easy does it!

Conserve our energy and work where it counts. If we can do that, we are a good chance.
Our ruck is a serious concern to me. We won V Sydney and Adelaide while getting smashed in that area. Simply have to help out our mids more.

Twodogs
04-05-2015, 07:36 PM
you just did

Oops.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2015, 07:56 PM
We beat Adelaide by 57 points and were 75 up At one stage , they were the top side at the time , what more do
You want?

We weren't favourites going into that match. My point is we need to win a game we are expected to win. We don't want to fall flat against a weaker opponent.

merantau
04-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Our problem in the past, in situations where we have put together a few wins against more fancied opposition, is that we then drop games against sides that we are expected to beat. I believe this week's game against St. Kilda will be a good pointer as to how the players handle their new 'flavour of the month' status. Having a convincing win is making a statement: we are here, we are not going away. A loss will be damaging to the players' self-belief and people may begin to think, same old, same old. I'm a bit more optimistic than that as I believe we have a massive upside over the next few years. I believe we can play finals this year. Let's just make it easy on ourselves by winning ALL the games that we should win and make the naysayers eat their words.

ratsmac
04-05-2015, 11:35 PM
I think we can play finals. We are definitely playing well enough at this stage so I can't see any reason why not. Yeah injuries will come, and have come and we have adjusted. This list of younger players we have are only going to get better. You can already see they are not just a flash in the pan. We have some serious talent coming through as we all know. We look like we are well coached. We have a good draw. The scene is set. Bring it on!

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2015, 11:37 PM
If we fade, we fade. It wouldn't be a shock.

We've proven in the first five rounds that soon - very soon - we're going to be a top contender, and that is what is so exciting. Our list is in a very, very, very healthy shape.

1eyedog
04-05-2015, 11:58 PM
This week is no bigger test than any other week, we're slightly off and they'll make a game of it, we bring our best and we'll smash them. You think this week will tell us a lot about ourselves, wait until the week after that.

Torpedo
05-05-2015, 03:21 AM
This game is so tough and our game style is even more demanding on their young bodies. It will depend on how healthy the list remains. Now Lin Jong is out for two games with a broken hand. It looks like a long tough season of attrition for the players but will show us how deep our full player complement is. Stay healthy, and on form with the really good 2015 schedule we were given, we could be there in September.

LostDoggy
05-05-2015, 03:22 AM
I'm not worried if we do lose this week, in fact it wouldn't surprise. Not because that's what the Bulldogs of old has done or would do but because we are coming off probably the most physically and mentally taxing games you could ever play. The conditions and opponent made for one hell of a hard slog. Both were completely out on their feet. We were interstate.

Then to say that 7 days later we have to turn up at the fastest, most taxing on the legs stadiums ever and have to do it again. Well be prepared for the levels to not quite be what they have that's all because I feel this team is not like any other we have had before there is just something there and in them that we hadn't had, something extra, something better.

We are just coming off a slog like no other that's all. (But jeez if we win....oh my).

bulldogsthru&thru
05-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I'm not worried if we do lose this week, in fact it wouldn't surprise. Not because that's what the Bulldogs of old has done or would do but because we are coming off probably the most physically and mentally taxing games you could ever play. The conditions and opponent made for one hell of a hard slog. Both were completely out on their feet. We were interstate.

Then to say that 7 days later we have to turn up at the fastest, most taxing on the legs stadiums ever and have to do it again. Well be prepared for the levels to not quite be what they have that's all because I feel this team is not like any other we have had before there is just something there and in them that we hadn't had, something extra, something better.

We are just coming off a slog like no other that's all. (But jeez if we win....oh my).

I for one would be quite disappointed if we lost to the saints. They will be a bottom 4 side and playing in a hard slog should be no excuse. I don't expect to smash them but we should win pretty comfortably. They've come off a 6 day break as opposed to our 7, and yes our game was taxing, but that should be no excuse. We have to win this one.

chef
05-07-2015, 01:20 PM
5 wins from 9 now.

Suns H
Geelong A
Collingwood H
Essendon A
Port H
Melbourne H
Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

Hotdog60
05-07-2015, 01:31 PM
The way we are playing at the present it maybe a hard task against all those sides.

We seemed to have lost that furiousness at the ball and looked to be zoning off more.

chef
05-07-2015, 03:54 PM
The way we are playing at the present it maybe a hard task against all those sides.

We seemed to have lost that furiousness at the ball and looked to be zoning off more.

I think with what the Saints and Carlton are showing over the last couple weeks our wins aginst them weren't as bad as some make out.

We won ugly which is what good sides do.

Hotdog60
05-07-2015, 04:03 PM
A win is a win and you'll take it no matter how it comes.
I just hope that we can bring a bit more intensity against the Suns this week or they will roll us.

Eastdog
05-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Yep after the bye we played great against the Lions and just did enough to get the points against the Saints and Blues. The last 2 weeks haven't been spectacular but in saying that we have now won 3 in a row and are in the 8. Hopefully we just keep winning and find that intensity again. It's very frustrating at times when we muck around with the ball.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Bring on the Suns let's make it 9-5 doggies

boydogs
05-07-2015, 06:00 PM
5 wins from 9 now.

This thread was made after round 5 when we were 4-1 and presumed that 12 wins would make finals. I did a ladder predictor last week and had GWS on 13 wins finishing 9th, so even 13 might not do it

It would have been good to get some more percentage over the last couple of weeks

Remi Moses
05-07-2015, 06:12 PM

To be honest that was always going to happen
July/August was always going to be trying, and I think besides the second term we controlled the game.

Remi Moses
05-07-2015, 06:15 PM
This thread was made after round 5 when we were 4-1 and presumed that 12 wins would make finals. I did a ladder predictor last week and had GWS on 13 wins finishing 9th, so even 13 might not do it

It would have been good to get some more percentage over the last couple of weeks

I think people have to find some perspective to where we've come from, and what we've got.
It's nigh on impossible to keep that frantic footy all season .
There were always going to be ugly performances, but the positive is we are winning

azabob
05-07-2015, 06:27 PM
I think people have to find some perspective to where we've come from, and what we've got.
It's nigh on impossible to keep that frantic footy all season .
There were always going to be ugly performances, but the positive is we are winning

Yep. We have already won more games than 2014 and gor most part played attractive football.

Maddog37
05-07-2015, 07:11 PM
And played heaps of kids most of the time.

bornadog
05-07-2015, 07:20 PM
5 wins from 9 now.

Suns H
Geelong A
Collingwood H
Essendon A
Port H
Melbourne H
Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

Suns game is a must win.
Then we should beat, Essendon, Melbourne, Brisbane and need to pinch one from Collingwood, North and Port.

Cyberdoggie
06-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Suns game is a must win.
Then we should beat, Essendon, Melbourne, Brisbane and need to pinch one from Collingwood, North and Port.

If we could win 2 of the next 3 then I think it's almost a cert.
Suns H
Geelong A
Collingwood H

Have to win the Suns game, then tough game against the cats down there at KP, a win there would almost knock them out of the race. Lastly the pies who we need to beat simply because we are competing for a spot with them, it's an 8 point game.

Cyberdoggie
07-07-2015, 05:46 PM
13 wins and percentage around 110 is the target.
That's 5 more games.
GC, Port, Brisbane, Melbourne, and at least one of Nth, Pies, Geelong.
The North game will be the key.
We drop any of those then we need to make one up somewhere else.
I'd prefer not to leave it to the last round up in Brisvegas.

North, GWS, Adelaide and Richmond are the teams we have to fight with, expecting Geelong and Port below that unless they pull some surprises.

1eyedog
07-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Ah it's great to see Geelong missing out on the finals geez I hate them for what they've done to us over the years.

Ozza
07-07-2015, 06:11 PM
13 wins and percentage around 110 is the target.
That's 5 more games.
GC, Port, Brisbane, Melbourne, and at least one of Nth, Pies, Geelong.
The North game will be the key.
We drop any of those then we need to make one up somewhere else.
I'd prefer not to leave it to the last round up in Brisvegas.

North, GWS, Adelaide and Richmond are the teams we have to fight with, expecting Geelong and Port below that unless they pull some surprises.

Don't forget we have Essendon to play as well....which has become a must/should win.

So;

GCS
Essendon
Port
Melb
Brisbane

are the should wins.

Cats, Pies, Kangas, Eagles - are the rest.

So if we drop a 'should' win...we've got 4 cracks at the others to make up for it.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2015, 06:27 PM
In life it is very easy to not be grateful for what you have.
Many of us, including myself, predicted a drop off mid season with a young team.
Yet we are jagging wins still. If we do fail in the finals, I have no right to be disappointed, as I only predicted we would win 10 games from memory.

bornadog
07-07-2015, 06:38 PM
In life it is very easy to not be grateful for what you have.
Many of us, including myself, predicted a drop off mid season with a young team.
Yet we are jagging wins still. If we do fail in the finals, I have no right to be disappointed, as I only predicted we would win 10 games from memory.

I am pretty sure I only expected about 10 games as well.

Twodogs
08-07-2015, 01:08 AM
I wasn't bold enough to make a prediction. With so many variables I thought we could feasibly finish anywhere between firstish to eighteenish really. A new coach, a boom recruit, improvement from within and an innovative preseason where the players looked pretty switched on from day one meant I just didn't know.

It's gone pretty well so far.

SonofScray
08-07-2015, 09:31 AM
I ticked off 10 games I thought we could win at the start of the year. When Libba went down I halved it. When asked to put it in writing how I thought we would I go, I went with "The Flag Will Wag" and it will. We will be the first side to win from outside the four in a long time.

chef
12-07-2015, 07:28 PM
4 wins from 8 now.

Geelong A
Collingwood H
Essendon A
Port H
Melbourne H
Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

merantau
12-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Beating Geelong would be serve two purposes. 1. Almost make us certainties to play finals baring some incredible epidemic of injuries, collapse in form or large meteor landing on Mt Mistake and taking out half of Melbourne. 2. Almost certainly put Geelong out of contention and that is something I'd really enjoy.

whythelongface
12-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Bar the Eagles game all other games are winnable. However, I don't expect us to win all those games and think between 3 and 5 is a more realistic target.

1eyedog
12-07-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm happy with 4 wins to give our young players a chance at experiencing what it's like playing in a final. The sentiment in me also wants Morris and Murphy to play in one as well. Once we're in it who knows, look at the Sydney game.

bornadog
19-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Suns game is a must win.

I expected the loss today, but I think we need to win next week.

bulldogtragic
19-07-2015, 12:08 AM
I expected the loss today, but I think we need to win next week.

This is the clutch week. Not only can we go 4 points ahead, we can leave Collingwood 4 points behind and get some distance from them.

Pickenitup
19-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Without Cloke Adams Elliott we really should beat Pies

bulldogtragic
19-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Without Cloke Adams Elliott we really should beat Pies
I have a bad feeling that Jesse White, who is in spudly territory right now, will be the next spudly tall to hurt us. There's just a bad feeling I have about him.

Flamethrower
19-07-2015, 03:54 PM
We will not beat Collingwood next week. Forget White, it will be players like Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom, Marley Williams, Fasolo and Varcoe that will destroy us. The key will be keeping it close so that our low percentage doesn't take a hammering.

To make the finals we need a minimum of 3 wins......we need to win at least 3 against Essendon, Port, Melbourne & the Lions.

azabob
19-07-2015, 03:55 PM
We will not beat Collingwood next week. Forget White, it will be players like Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom, Marley Williams, Fasolo and Varcoe that will destroy us. The key will be keeping it close so that our low percentage doesn't take a hammering.

To make the finals we need a minimum of 3 wins......we need to win at least 3 against Essendon, Port, Melbourne & the Lions.

Fair points you make, but who will kick their goals?

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Pleased you are not on the coaching panel.

We have more chance of beating Collingwood than against someone like Sydney at the SCG in wet conditions.....hang on we won that.

Of course we can win. It won't be easy but they have lost their last 4 and could well be feeling the effects of a pretty tough month since their bye.

Mantis
19-07-2015, 04:19 PM

I think you are over stating the ability of a number of those players and believe we have players of similar class within our ranks.. Only Pendlebury is someone we don't have the equal of, but given he is one of the top players in the game I'm fairly comfortable with that at present.

Rocket Science
19-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Fair points you make, but who will kick their goals?

To be honest with final tallies over the past month of 62 pts, 64 pts, 64 pts and the grand sum of 4.9 til three quarter time until our 4th term blitz of the Suns, I fear the same question can legitimately be asked of us.

Our forward forays have been hard, haphazard work of late.

ReLoad
19-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Whilst I have no insight or information inside the club, I reckon the last 2 months we have been developing our B game.

There is a huge marked difference in game style and play versus the first 6 weeks, and im pretty certain the players are being conditioned to playing two distinct styles of game which can be used in game.

We saw some of it Vs the Suns and we also a quarter of it against the Cats (3rd quarter)- Whose Defense was way too strong for us.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we begin to really see this in effect, i.e. blitz for a half and lockdown or vice versa.

I think as a team our expectations have already been met this year (we have seen marked improvement) and the next 12 months will be just as much of a ride, lets hope at the end we come through with an intact and defined set or strategies.

ratsmac
20-07-2015, 08:38 PM
The pessimist in me says that our finals aspirations are on the line this week against the pies. It's an 8 point game for us. Our form has been ok the last month without being great. We need a few players to break the shackles (Stringer, T Boyd, Crameri to name a few) and bring the early season form. The winner of this game makes the 8 and the loser struggles through the remainder of the season.

However the optimist in me says we will smash the pies and probably lose 1 more game this season (West Coast) and all the rest are winnable or at worst a 50/50 chance, so we'll make the 8 comfortably.

After looking thinking about the top 8, in particular the top 4, if Freo and West Coast finish top 2, why the hell would you want to finish 3rd or 4th. You would play in Perth first week and if you lose (likely), you would fly back and get a home final. Win that you're likely flying back to Perth. And to top it off if you are lucky enough to get the win you play in a GF after 2 trips to Perth in 3 weeks. Only Hawthorn could pull that off.

chef
26-07-2015, 05:03 PM
3 wins from 6 now.

Essendon A
Port H
Melbourne H
Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Feeling like I'm Bob The Builder.

bornadog
26-07-2015, 05:09 PM
3 wins from 7 now.

Essendon A
Port H
Melbourne H
Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

I feel the West Coast game is the hardest. We can win all the other games

Mantis
26-07-2015, 05:20 PM

You feel? No freaking shit that the WC game is the hardest one.

Danny the snakeman
26-07-2015, 05:26 PM

You were saying?

bornadog
26-07-2015, 06:39 PM
You feel? No freaking shit that the WC game is the hardest one.

Is this necessary - been on the piss again.

Mantis
26-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Is this necessary - been on the piss again.

Yes it is. No I haven't... Captain.

bornadog
26-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Yes it is. No I haven't... Captain.

Reads Like you have

Webby
26-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Want to be mindful of hubris here, but Swans are getting flogged and Tiges dropped yesterday.. We've got Bombers and Port, whilst Tiges have Hawthorn and Crows, whilst Swans have Crows and Geelong at KP... It's not too long of a bow to suggest 4th place is feasible two weeks from now.... just sayin'...

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Want to be mindful of hubris here, but Swans are getting flogged and Tiges dropped yesterday.. We've got Bombers and Port, whilst Tiges have Hawthorn and Crows, whilst Swans have Crows and Geelong at KP... It's not too long of a bow to suggest 4th place is feasible two weeks from now.... just sayin'...

Foxtel commentators were talking us up as a chance at top 4.

chef
26-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Sounds good to me.

Win out and top 4 here we come.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2015, 07:08 PM

If Sydney loses to two of Adelaide Collingwood and GWS and have a big loss today you just never know

Webby
26-07-2015, 07:37 PM

Were they? I was tied up at yhe Savoy Tavern, happily counselling the poor Pies fans... "there, there... chins up.."

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Were they? I was tied up at yhe Savoy Tavern, happily counselling the poor Pies fans... "there, there... chins up.."

Yeah, our cheer leader Brad Healy was saying with this weeks results and our run home we are an outside chance at top four now. I hope our players don't read too much of it.

Twodogs
26-07-2015, 07:40 PM

And all those chins belonged to one pies fan.

Sedat
27-07-2015, 12:33 AM
Yeah, our cheer leader Brad Healy was saying with this weeks results and our run home we are an outside chance at top four now. I hope our players don't read too much of it.
I see what you did there :D

BornInDroopSt'54
27-07-2015, 11:19 AM

Good to see the faster ball movement return. I hope Hunter is right, as quoted in Emma Quayle article today:

"Hunter was pleased that they held off the last-quarter challenge, but also those that came before it. "We knew they were going to play well and keep coming but I thought we kept trying to play on the edge and keep trying to win the game," he said. "The intensity had gone out of our game in the last couple of weeks, but we got it back and now we've got to keep it like that." "

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/western-bulldogs-see-off-collingwood-20150726-gikt1c.html#ixzz3h2n5GI1s

bulldogsthru&thru
27-07-2015, 11:35 AM
I think its basically 3 wins from 5 games - we wont beat WC over there

i am a pessimist, but the wheels can fall off really quickly. Teams that stifle our run we seem to struggle against. Now all 5 games are winnable and 4 of them we really should win (Bombers, Port, Dees, Lions) but a loss next week and the pressure is back on

On a side note, using the ladder predictor, interestingly it looks like Geelong and Adelaide might find themselves fighting it out for the last spot in the 8

bornadog
27-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Good to see the faster ball movement return. I hope Hunter is right, as quoted in Emma Quayle article today:

"Hunter was pleased that they held off the last-quarter challenge, but also those that came before it. "We knew they were going to play well and keep coming but I thought we kept trying to play on the edge and keep trying to win the game," he said. "The intensity had gone out of our game in the last couple of weeks, but we got it back and now we've got to keep it like that." "

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/western-bulldogs-see-off-collingwood-20150726-gikt1c.html#ixzz3h2n5GI1s

We are the best tackling team in the AFL however, yesterday the game was played so quickly with very few stoppages, that there was very little tackling done. Great game and much better than the previous four weeks when we only kicked 3 goals to half time.

bornadog
27-07-2015, 01:27 PM
North are going to be hard to beat, but I would really love to knock them off.

Cyberdoggie
27-07-2015, 01:35 PM
North are going to be hard to beat, but I would really love to knock them off.

If we win that one and another I think that would guarantee us a finals spot.

Otherwise 3 more or 13 wins should be fine.

Having said that I just checked out the predictor and it will take 13 wins and percentage to get in.

For us to get top four we need to win every game except for the eagles game, and hope Sydney drop a couple, ie the pies and Adelaide games at home.

It's going to be a very interesting finals race that is for sure.

bornadog
27-07-2015, 01:38 PM
If we win that one and another I think that would guarantee us a finals spot.

Otherwise 3 more or 13 wins should be fine.

On the ladder predictor I had 13 wins and still sitting in 6th. 12 wins and we may miss due to percentage.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-07-2015, 02:07 PM
On the ladder predictor I had 13 wins and still sitting in 6th. 12 wins and we may miss due to percentage.

yep thats what i had. 13 wins basically guarantees us finals. 12 wins we probably miss

Top 4 very unlikely - the top four look like winning the majority of their remaining games

craigsahibee
27-07-2015, 04:58 PM

One of the great spuds of the modern game.

boydogs
27-07-2015, 08:10 PM
We are the best tackling team in the AFL however, yesterday the game was played so quickly with very few stoppages, that there was very little tackling done. Great game and much better than the previous four weeks when we only kicked 3 goals to half time.

Not a high tackle count but interestingly we lost pretty clearly, 66-43

bornadog
28-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Not a high tackle count but interestingly we lost pretty clearly, 66-43

We had the ball almost 100 more times than Collingwood, so they had to tackle more to get it back.;)

bornadog
28-07-2015, 10:13 AM
CHAMPION DATA PREDICTIONS

CLUB
FINALS
TOP 4
TOP 2
MINOR PREMIER
WOODEN SPOON

1. Fremantle
100%
99%
73%
40%
0%

2. West Coast
100%
99%
65%
36%
0%

3. Hawthorn
100%
99%
60%
24%
0%

4. Sydney
95%
51%
2%
0%
0%

5. Western Bulldogs
83%
16%
0%
0%
0%

6. Richmond
80%
16%
0%
0%
0%

7. Adelaide
68%
9%
0%
0%
0%

8. GWS Giants
52%
4%
0%
0%
0%

9. North Melbourne
52%
4%
0%
0%
0%

10. Collingwood
44%
3%
0%
0%
0%

11. Geelong
23%
1%
0%
0%
0%

12. Port Adelaide
3%
0%
0%
0%
0%

13. St Kilda
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%

14. Essendon
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%

15. Melbourne
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%

16. Carlton
0%
0%
0%
0%
18%

17. Gold Coast
0%
0%
0%
0%
28%

18. Brisbane
0%
0%
0%
0%
54%

1eyedog
28-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Would love to rub Griff's nose in the middle of the MCG at the end of EF day!

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Dear Moderators, can you please change this thread title to whether we can finish top 4? :D

bornadog
02-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Dear Moderators, can you please change this thread title to whether we can finish top 4? :D

Is the lid off

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Is the lid off

Yep. Think, if we maintained the halftime lead against St Kilda we'd be top 4 right now....

This is loco.

chef
02-08-2015, 07:04 PM
2 wins from 5 now.

Port H
Melbourne H
Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

BornInDroopSt'54
02-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Bar the Eagles game all other games are winnable. However, I don't expect us to win all those games and think between 3 and 5 is a more realistic target.

Now is not the time to be realistic. Now is the time for hope, for hilarity and being unreasonable.
Actually you're probably right. Essendon were like witches hats today but hopefully they gave us confidence and practice at winning big.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 09:11 PM
2 wins from 5 now.

Port H
Melbourne H
Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

We should be confident in winning at least 3 of those games, with the North one probably a 50/50 on paper (I think we can beat them, though) and the WCE one looking like a very challenging game although again, one we have some chance of winning if we play at our best.

PS - those who voted NO in the initial poll, are you now convinced (or more confident) that we will make it?

1eyedog
02-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Yep. Think, if we maintained the halftime lead against St Kilda we'd be top 4 right now....

This is loco.

Adelaide beats Richmond and Geelong beats Sydney in Geelong we will be fourth after next week (provided we account for Port of course). If we beat Port by more than Richmond beat Adelaide we'll be in fourth spot. Freo in Perth anyone? Very beatable.

Rocket Science
02-08-2015, 10:03 PM
We should be confident in winning at least 3 of those games, with the North one probably a 50/50 on paper (I think we can beat them, though) and the WCE one looking like a very challenging game although again, one we have some chance of winning if we play at our best.

PS - those who voted NO in the initial poll, are you now convinced (or more confident) that we will make it?

As one of the misguided nay-sayers, chiefly because I've followed this mob too long to indulge fanciful thinking, who'd have thought the kids would acquit themselves so adeptly as required?

Feels altogether satisfying to be so wrong. In hindsight, after 17 rounds we've shown scant regard for many of the rusted on tenets of what makes a contender, and that this young squad can trouble pretty much anyone.

What a ride so far. Keep breaking the rules. Carna Scrays.

Lukewarm Beveridge
02-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Would love to win the next two, go over to Perth to take on the Eagles having won 8/9 and with a finals spot sewn up.. Not much to lose, and if they played similarly to last night we'd be half a sniff!
im just enjoying the ride though!

SonofScray
02-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Stay strapped in fellow WOOFERS we are going for a ride. There is a Premiership to be pinched. 2 more wins to book in a shot at it.

Bulldog Joe
02-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Stay strapped in fellow WOOFERS we are going for a ride. There is a Premiership to be pinched. 2 more wins to book in a shot at it.

and 8 wins will nab the flag.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Top 4 ????

azabob
08-08-2015, 08:06 PM
So who were the six?

Mantis
08-08-2015, 08:08 PM
So who were the six?

I was one... I expected us to drop off.. I was wrong.

Remi Moses
08-08-2015, 08:40 PM
I was one of many who thought we'd drop off.
I think we did there for a period, but managed to win games .
We won ugly which is massive

chef
08-08-2015, 09:30 PM
1 win from 4 now.

Melbourne H
Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

Go_Dogs
08-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Lock it in chef.

We're finals bound!

chef
08-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Lock it in chef.

We're finals bound!

I just want to ride this home first.

comrade
08-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Let's win all four and really storm it home.

Murphy, Roberts, Roughy & JJ all to come back, with plenty of pressure being placed by our Footscray boys.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 10:35 PM

Murphy, Roberts, Roughy & JJ all to come back, with plenty of pressure being placed by our Footscray boys.

And a million dollar KPF :D

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Top 4 Baby! :D

And 4.7% buffer now.

ratsmac
08-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Top 4 Baby! :D

And 4.7% buffer now.

Bloody oath!!

Remi Moses
08-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Wow!
Top 4 !!

ratsmac
10-08-2015, 07:58 AM

Let's win the next 5, take a week off, then win 2 more!!

Bulldog Joe
11-08-2015, 02:12 PM
We are certainly a chance and our current form stacks up well

Here is the ladder post round 10 for those in finals contention
W L D For Ag %age Points
Hawthorn 7 1 904 532 169.92 28
Western Bulldogs 7 1 790 518 152.51 28
Fremantle 7 1 617 535 115.33 28
West Coast 6 1 1 794 545 145.69 26
North Melbourne 6 2 830 608 136.51 24
Geelong 5 2 1 609 528 115.34 22
Richmond 5 3 604 573 105.41 20
Adelaide 4 3 1 652 692 94.22 18
Sydney 4 4 620 712 87.08 16
GWS 3 5 583 757 77.01 12

Apologies that I can't seem to post as a table.

But we sit second on the form table and have actually had the lowest score against over the 8 rounds.
While there are suggestions that we have has an easy run, this block does include games against previously considered contenders in Collingwood and Port Adelaide as well as Geelong.

bornadog
11-08-2015, 03:53 PM
2015 AFL Season Ladder sorted by Premiership Points

Position
Team
Played (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=g)
Win (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=w)
Loss (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=l)
Draw (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=d)
%Won (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=t)
Points (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=p)
For (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=f)
Against (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=a)
Percentage (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=c)
Movement (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=m)
Streak (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder?year=2015&pt=SE&st=SE&sb=s)

Fremantle Dockers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-fremantle-dockers)
88.89%
128.82%
+0
Won 4

West Coast Eagles (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-west-coast-eagles)
75.00%
149.48%
+0
Lost 1

Hawthorn Hawks (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-hawthorn-hawks)
72.22%
161.52%
+0
Won 1

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
66.67%
117.08%
+1
Won 3

Sydney Swans (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-sydney-swans)
66.67%
112.39%
Lost 1

North Melbourne Kangaroos (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-kangaroos)
61.11%
109.00%
+1
Won 5

Richmond Tigers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-richmond-tigers)
61.11%
108.94%
Lost 1

Geelong Cats (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-geelong-cats)
58.82%
104.56%
+0
Won 4

Adelaide Crows (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-adelaide-crows)
58.82%
104.51%
+0
Won 1

GWS Giants (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-greater-western-sydney-giants)
55.56%
102.41%
+0
Won 1

Eze Dog
11-08-2015, 04:08 PM
We are certainly a chance and our current form stacks up well

Here is the ladder post round 10 for those in finals contention
W L D For Ag %age Points
Hawthorn 7 1 904 532 169.92 28
Western Bulldogs 7 1 790 518 152.51 28
Fremantle 7 1 617 535 115.33 28
West Coast 6 1 1 794 545 145.69 26
North Melbourne 6 2 830 608 136.51 24
Geelong 5 2 1 609 528 115.34 22
Richmond 5 3 604 573 105.41 20
Adelaide 4 3 1 652 692 94.22 18
Sydney 4 4 620 712 87.08 16
GWS 3 5 583 757 77.01 12

Apologies that I can't seem to post as a table.

But we sit second on the form table and have actually had the lowest score against over the 8 rounds.
While there are suggestions that we have has an easy run, this block does include games against previously considered contenders in Collingwood and Port Adelaide as well as Geelong.

Hope this helps.

bornadog
11-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Hope this helps.
http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=647&d=1439269686

Excellent. We are a top 4 team.:)

bornadog
11-08-2015, 04:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMARQIHUAAAuJ98.png:large

Twodogs
11-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Excellent. We are a top 4 team.:)

And we have conceded the least points. That's a pretty good defensive effort.

1eyedog
11-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Geez I'd love to rough Norf up.

bornadog
11-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Geez I'd love to rough Norf up.

I said to one of the WOOfers at the game on Saturday, god I wish that was North out there.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2015, 06:53 PM
That game v North is going to be crucial.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2015, 08:26 PM

It really is, and North are playing their best football of 2015 at the moment. If we win that, we have earned our top 4 spot, but if we don't and finish 5th or 6th, that would be a fair reflection of where we have been for the balance of the season.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2015, 10:59 PM
It really is, and North are playing their best football of 2015 at the moment. If we win that, we have earned our top 4 spot, but if we don't and finish 5th or 6th, that would be a fair reflection of where we have been for the balance of the season.

Yep, we also need to Sydney to drop one (maybe this week Pies, or next week v GWS).

I'd really like us to finish top four simply to have a red hot crack at Fremantle in a QF. I think we could trouble them.

Bulldog Joe
11-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Yep, we also need to Sydney to drop one (maybe this week Pies, or next week v GWS).

I'd really like us to finish top four simply to have a red hot crack at Fremantle in a QF. I think we could trouble them.

Top 4 is in our control.
We do not need anyone to drop 1, just us to win 4.

While there are dangers particularly West Coast and especially North on the 6 day break from Perth, it is still ours to lose.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Top 4 is in our control.
We do not need anyone to drop 1, just us to win 4.

While there are dangers particularly West Coast and especially North on the 6 day break from Perth, it is still ours to lose.

It is, but I think we'll drop one of WCE/North hence needing Sydney to do the same.

bornadog
12-08-2015, 12:00 AM

We will be coming back from a trip to Perth, which may make it harder.

Greystache
12-08-2015, 11:28 AM
It is, but I think we'll drop one of WCE/North hence needing Sydney to do the same.

I wouldn't at all surprised if we selected a team for WCE that gave us the best chance to be primed to beat Norf the following week.

Bulldog Joe
12-08-2015, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't at all surprised if we selected a team for WCE that gave us the best chance to be primed to beat Norf the following week.

It will be interesting to see what selection actually occurs around these games.

I think we should be maximising our chances against West Coast as that will help the top 4 position.

With the depth in the list we have been able to rest players and still perform.

We have Roberts, Roughead , Boyd plus Murphy and Johannisen that missed last week and should/could be back in the side over the next 2/3 weeks. Then we have Hrovat in good form at Footscray as well.
Darley last week showed that our players can make the transition.

My view is pick to win each week, while resting those that need resting.

LostDoggy
12-08-2015, 01:08 PM

I would be totally surprised. The WCE game is our chance to really put up our hand as a serious flag contender. If there is one game pre-finals we pick our absolute best 22 it's that one.

I suspect we'll rest a couple who are a little on the sore side, maybe 1 or 2 of Stringer, Dickson, Dahlhaus or Boyd, this week in order to have them 100% ready for WCE and what's to follow.

I can't wait to see this team play at Subiaco in a big match.

Drunken Bum
12-08-2015, 02:30 PM
I would be totally surprised. The WCE game is our chance to really put up our hand as a serious flag contender. If there is one game pre-finals we pick our absolute best 22 it's that one.

I suspect we'll rest a couple who are a little on the sore side, maybe 1 or 2 of Stringer, Dickson, Dahlhaus or Boyd, this week in order to have them 100% ready for WCE and what's to follow.

I can't wait to see this team play at Subiaco in a big match.

I'm with you and would hope the club is too, dream big

LostDoggy
12-08-2015, 02:35 PM
We could theoretically lose all four. But I'm very excited about the very real possibility of beating all four and thundering into the finals. I'm happy with 2015 so far, I think the boys have repaid us our faith for the season. They can now focus on doing this for themselves, for each other, and it's this aspect that I think has us as a red hot chance in every game for the next month: our boys are tight-knit — not cliched, speaking-to-the-media "tight-knit" but genuinely a close group of mates all putting it on the line for each other. Bontempelli's smother when we were 10-11 goals up was a prime indicator of this. Easton's courage when he flies backwards for superhuman intercept marks is another.

We're all strapped in for the ride, anyway. Goosebump Month.

chef
17-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Mission accomplished

New mission.

Win 3 from 3 to guarentee top 4, will 2 wins be enough?

Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

Sydney play

Giants A
Saints A
GC H

bornadog
17-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Mission accomplished

New mission.

Win 3 from 3 to guarentee top 4, will 2 wins be enough?

Eagles A
North A
Brisbane A

Sydney play

Giants A
Saints A
GC H

Sydney has the easier draw. I can't see us winning all three games. Will be nice to get a home final at Eithad, at minimum.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2015, 10:01 AM
I just hope we don't throw everything at the Eagles only to fall short and get picked off by the kangaroos.

Bulldog Joe
17-08-2015, 10:08 AM
We should be in finals mode.

This week we play the Eagles in Perth. If we do not win we basically can also lose the following week against North for very little additional damage UNLESS Sydney lose to GWS.

It must be all systems go for victory. Top 4 is still in our hands.
We are good enough.
We must believe.

If we fall short this week, we must learn from the experience as we will need to head back to Perth for a final if we are to progress beyond the first round.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 10:17 AM
I have us finishing 5th. At season's start I had us bottom 6. So what do I know.

bornadog
17-08-2015, 10:18 AM
I have us finishing 5th. At season's start I had us bottom 6. So what do I know.

I had us finishing around 10th with about 9 or 10 wins. What a sensational year.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 10:21 AM
I had us finishing around 10th with about 9 or 10 wins. What a sensational year.

Yep. I thought 12th would be a good gap year. Has been a hell of a ride.

bornadog
17-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Yep. I thought 12th would be a good gap year. Has been a hell of a ride.

We have been sensational at home this year with only two losses at Etihad - Saints by 7, and Freo by 13.

All I can say is god help North at Etihad in a few weeks time. :D

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 10:29 AM
We have been sensational at home this year with only two losses at Etihad - Saints by 7, and Freo by 13.

All I can say is god help North at Etihad in a few weeks time. :D

Scary to think three losses to St, Melb & Freo that were within single digits half way through the last quarter. That'd be top 2. With so much natural development in the list, it's hard not to feel optimistic. I hope supporters invest in memberships from now and for the next decade. With more membership cash, we can hire extra coaches and invest even more in development. This is what voluntary non members need to understand, their cash means more chance to succeed. We should be demanding of our base 40,000 members next year. That gets us sponsors, Friday night matches, exposure and advertising bucks. Which helps us again.

hujsh
17-08-2015, 02:41 PM
It's also worth remembering that we'll probably have a much harder draw next year, playing more current top 8 teams twice instead of Melbourne, St.Kilda and Brisbane (although we did lose to Melb and the Saints so I guess it evens out a bit)

Bulldog Joe
17-08-2015, 03:34 PM
It's also worth remembering that we'll probably have a much harder draw next year, playing more current top 8 teams twice instead of Melbourne, St.Kilda and Brisbane (although we did lose to Melb and the Saints so I guess it evens out a bit)

Given that we have performed well against all comers it should not matter.

Amazingly that we have been in every single game with a winning chance at some stage in the last quarter except for the Hawthorn game. Even then we had plenty of reason to forget the game as we had lost M Boyd, Bonts and Wood before the game and Morris and Mitch Wallis before qtr time.

I really believe we are capable of winning against anyone including Hawthorn.

Ozza
17-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Given that we have performed well against all comers it should not matter.

Amazingly that we have been in every single game with a winning chance at some stage in the last quarter except for the Hawthorn game. Even then we had plenty of reason to forget the game as we had lost M Boyd, Bonts and Wood before the game and Morris and Mitch Wallis before qtr time.

I really believe we are capable of winning against anyone including Hawthorn.

Good post.

Regarding finals - I certainly don't have the attitude of it being a 'bonus' or a 'free hit' just because we didn't expect to be here.

Although LOGICALLY we should continue to improve over the next few years - there are never any guarantees and improvement is seldom linear. At the end of 2006 - we looked like world beaters - but 2007 for a variety of reasons was a disaster, before we got back on track in 2008.

At the end of 2013 - we rattled home hard and looked really good (some will remember '#Bulldogs Wild Card'), but then my worst fears emerged last year where we were terrible again, before again for a variety of reasons and obviously a very different scenario to 2006/07/08 - we have become a good side.

My point is that we really can't afford to waste any chances while we are in the eight, and particularly in the 4. We need to seriously tap into this great form for the rest of this season.

I don't believe in 'we've got nothing to lose'. There is always something to lose.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Eagles have lost Will Schofield. The injury gods are smiling upon us. If we beat Weagles at Subi, looks like we are in. Every week it looks more likely we are going to play finals.

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Good post.

Regarding finals - I certainly don't have the attitude of it being a 'bonus' or a 'free hit' just because we didn't expect to be here.

Although LOGICALLY we should continue to improve over the next few years - there are never any guarantees and improvement is seldom linear. At the end of 2006 - we looked like world beaters - but 2007 for a variety of reasons was a disaster, before we got back on track in 2008.

At the end of 2013 - we rattled home hard and looked really good (some will remember '#Bulldogs Wild Card'), but then my worst fears emerged last year where we were terrible again, before again for a variety of reasons and obviously a very different scenario to 2006/07/08 - we have become a good side.

My point is that we really can't afford to waste any chances while we are in the eight, and particularly in the 4. We need to seriously tap into this great form for the rest of this season.

I don't believe in 'we've got nothing to lose'. There is always something to lose.

The players have something to lose, for sure. But for them. I think as far as the fans go, they owe us nothing this year. They need to go west, smash WCE, come home, smash Norf, go north, smash Brisbane, then tear the finals a new one. And not for us. Do it for themselves without the pressure. Yeah there's something to lose, but the pressure is 100% on West Coast this week and they'll be sitting in their weekly meetings talking about how important it is to be up and about against our team.