PDA

View Full Version : 1997 The Sequel.

ReLoad
03-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Given the lid has been blown right off, I thought it pertinent to revisit to a time when we were in a similar situation, 1997.

As we all know 1996 didn't end well, and if it wasn't for Fitzroy we would have won the spoon.
1997 however we were a different team, not so much in squad, but certain younger players really came of age, West, Johnson, Smith as examples. Combined with the experienced players such as Wynd, Liberatore, cameron etc the team was at one of its "peaks"

To say 1997 was a surprise certainly held true. As at the end of 1996 there was issues around the club and it ended in a resultant change of name to the Western bulldogs and a new hierarchy.

It also bought the permanent appointment of Terry Wallace as the coach who brought a lot of new innovations to the team, and its fair to say introduced "leg speed" into the competition as the bulldogs with the exception of grant as a recognised key position player relied on a huge spread of their scoring from running type players.

Whilst Terry Wallace later left the club in controversial circumstances, at the time he was certainly a leader and innovator.

The parallels with today's Western bulldogs are very similar, new coach, innovating style, a "coming of age" of a core group of players, significant off and on field upheavals the previous year, whilst retaining key players who have significant leadership and experience.

In 1997 we went on to win 14 games, which I think is perhaps a win or two beyond what we can achieve this year, but if we can continue on form 12 wins is certainly achievable which will see us play finals for the first time in a number of years.

In comparison again, 1997 ended with some heartbreak, and being honest to ourselves, would have been quite a fairytale to even make the grand final, this year sees us not geared for a fairytale miracle win, but rather poised for a period of long term finals contention (I have deliberately not used the word success, because i think winning a flag is the only true measure of that).

Combined with the ability for the whole organisation to take advantage of the long term finals contention, we are now in a place not too dissimilar to 1997.

In summary 1997 didn't break my heart, but 1998 did. So hopefully that's where the sequel changes, 2016 and ultimately 2017 and 2018 is where I see that window seriously ajar for our beloved club.

How do you feel in comparison? is 2008 comparable too?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Great post.
I was thinking about how the current crop look against our best teams in my life.
Take 97. Top level talent we had: Grant, Wynd, Johnson, West, Cameron, Smith. Next level down we had Libba, a young Darcy and Romero. After that we had thin talent depth.

The current crop has in my opinion a much better spread of talent, albeit most have not yet reached their full potential.
If they continue on the current trajectory, then as you conclude we could be in for a serious tilt in a year or two.

mjp
03-05-2015, 06:16 PM
1997 remains my favourite ever year. The prelim was bad but in terms of results exceeding expectations, well, that was the greatest year ever.

My thoughts were always that we would be OK this season so I am not getting quite the same level of excitement that came from '97...then again, I am a lot older and more cynical now.

Raw Toast
03-05-2015, 06:28 PM
1997 remains my favourite ever year. The prelim was bad but in terms of results exceeding expectations, well, that was the greatest year ever.

My thoughts were always that we would be OK this season so I am not getting quite the same level of excitement that came from '97...then again, I am a lot older and more cynical now.

Fair enough - I had the misfortune (and then fortune?) to be overseas for the 1997 season, so that might be part of why I'm finding this very exciting. Also, I think this might be the favourite style of play from a Doggies team in my years of following the team. The combination of intense pressure and tacking with dare-devil quick attacks is intoxicating for me.

*I'd also add 85 to the conversations of glorious, unexpected ascendencies. (Can't comment so much on the style of that play cause I followed it solely on the radio...)

boydogs
03-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Great post.
I was thinking about how the current crop look against our best teams in my life.
Take 97. Top level talent we had: Grant, Wynd, Johnson, West, Cameron, Smith. Next level down we had Libba, a young Darcy and Romero. After that we had thin talent depth.

I wouldn't describe it as thin. Add Croft, Kretiuk, Hudson, Brown, Montgomery, Dimattina and you're up to 15 quality players

1eyedog
03-05-2015, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't describe it as thin. Add Croft, Kretiuk, Hudson, Brown, Montgomery, Dimattina and you're up to 15 quality players

Kellett and Curley went alright too, that's 17