PDA

View Full Version : Draft day is like Christmas for 16 AFL clubs

southerncross
18-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Emma Quale from the Age (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/general/draft-day-is-like-christmas-for-16-afl-clubs/2007/11/17/1194767026939.html)seems to think we will land Grant and Notte with our early picks. Would these be good selections for us?

DRAFT day is like Christmas for the 16 AFL clubs.
Everyone gets a big bundle of shiny new presents and can't think of a single thing they could have wanted more.
If the clubs don't get what they asked for, they smile, say thank you and insist they couldn't be happier.
The draft is also a day where beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but where no recruiter can ever be considered right or wrong until different clubs, coaches, development systems and injuries have played their part in whether a draftee works out.
Sunday Age football writer and one of Australia's foremost experts on junior football, Emma Quayle, has covered the past six national drafts, toured Perth and South Africa this year with the AIS-AFL Academy and has spent more time than ever this season watching under-18 games, tapes and players.
The following is not a phantom draft, rather how she rates her top 25 players from this year's pool.
She believes Carlton is almost certain to take Matthew Kreuzer at No.
1, but considers Trent Cotchin a better prospect.
1. Trent Cotchin
(Northern Knights. 17, 185cm, 80kg) Of all the players I've seen this season, Cotchin is the one who most screams: "star".
He has skills on both sides of his body, speed, and he's a real ducker and weaver (think Gary Ablett junior) who can kick goals and exert huge infl uence on how a game turns out.
Some have questioned his endurance, but Vo2max testing shows he has the capacity to run hard enough to play as a true onballer.
At 17, he's only just eligible for this year's draft but extremely driven.
What nudges him ahead of Matthew Kreuzer, Cale Morton and David Myers is the fact it is slightly clearer where he will play and what sort of player he'll be.
2. Matthew Kreuzer
(Northern Knights.18, 200cm, 94kg) Kreuzer has a massive heart, incredible endurance and sound skills £ for any sized player, let alone one pushing 200 centimetres.
He'll be a very good player for a long time.
I rank him second because I occasionally wonder what he'll be, or where he'll end up playing.
As a ruckman, he has the motor to exploit his opponents around the ground, but does he have the spring and technique to compete at centre bounces? Can you exploit his big asset, his endurance, by playing him as a forward? And if you are looking for a ruck-rover, why wouldn't you just choose Cotchin?

3. Cale Morton
(Claremont. 17, 192cm, 79kg) Plenty of clubs would take the third Morton brother if they had the No. 1 pick.
Others dropped away after his fi nals series, where he was subjected to some close opposition attention.
Morton boasts elite skills, especially for his size, and his running power.
He's a true utility and he has all the attributes to thrive in today's precise, uncontested game.
4. David Myers
(Perth 18, 191cm, 87kg) My hunch is that Myers, who will come into contention for Essendon at pick six, will captain an AFL team one day.
He's quick, balanced and composed; when the ball's in his hands and he's dashing off half-back you feel that something good will happen.
You wouldn't be drafting him as a key position prospect, more as a running defender who could play off a wing.
He's one of my real favourites in this year's draft.
5. Jarrad Grant
(Dandenong Stingrays. 18, 192cm, 77kg) When you have a high draft pick you have a choice: do you go for a safe, sure bet-type player, or one with the potential for greatness? Grant is one of the most gifted players in this year's draft pool, the one who most often makes you think: "how did he do that?" He's going to make freakish pick-ups and kick goals from nowhere.
I can't wait to see how consistently he does it.
6. Cyril Rioli
(St Marys/Scotch College. 18, 177cm, 79kg) Some will consider this ranking too high for "Junior" Rioli, the nephew of Michael Long and Maurice Rioli, who hasn't yet shown any real signs he'll be able to play as an onballer.
But on pure talent Rioli is a clear top-10 pick in this draft; he can win games as a small forward and also run off halfback.
His endurance (which is poor right now) should improve enough in an AFL environment for him to at least pinch-hit in the middle, and I'm backing him to make the most of his potential.
7. Alex Rance
(Swan Districts. 18, 192cm, 88kg) Rance is a natural defender and, unlike Myers, a more likely key position player.
The son of former Footscray and West Coast player Murray, Alex was one of the best rebounders in the WA under-18 team this year.
He needs to calm down on occasions when he gets the ball and can be a bit fumbly, but has a really strong mind and presence.
8. Patrick Dangerfield

(Geelong Falcons. 17, 187cm, 83kg) Dangerfi eld is a personal favourite, one of the most exciting players in the draft.
He grabs the ball and bolts.
His kicking needs some work, but he's only 17, and could have had another year in the TAC Cup had he wanted.
If you're looking for express midfi eld speed, he's probably the only top-line onballer in this draft who has it.
9. Chris Masten
(East Fremantle. 18, 180cm, 77kg) Masten is a safe bet.
He's a good player who should play a lot of games.
Like East Freo teammate Rhys Palmer he's not quick, but he covers huge amounts of ground.
He keeps getting the ball and his use of it seems to have improved this year.
He seems at fi rst glance to be a natural "inside" player, but he has more strings than that.
The tip is that West Coast will pick him at No.
3, and it's easy to imagine him slotting straight into that team.
10. Brad Ebert
(Port Adelaide Magpies. 17, 188cm, 85kg) His game doesn't have one absolute stand-out quality (except perhaps his stoppage skills), but Ebert does most things really well and has been impressive at every level he's reached.
Like Masten, he's simply a good player.
He's also a really diligent kid, who will work as hard as he can.
I think he'll become a reliable midfi elder/half-back and play a lot of games, with not much gap between his good and his bad.

southerncross
18-11-2007, 08:18 AM
11. Ben McEvoy
(Murray Bushrangers. 18, 200cm, 95kg) McEvoy is another with captaincy potential, and the best contested mark in this draft.
I may have him ranked a little low, but it will be interesting to see where he does get picked, as he's one of a handful of players who could go anywhere from picks six to 15.
The question clubs are no doubt asking is whether he's a ruckman or a key forward (I think he'll play mostly in the ruck).
Like Ebert, McEvoy will relish being in a professional environment and is not going to die wondering.
12. Rhys Palmer
(East Fremantle. 18, 182cm, 80kg) Palmer is this year's big improver; he was eligible for last year's draft after playing as a small defender for Western Australia in the under 18 championships and being overlooked on draft day.
He's a "look at me" type midfielder with an arrogant edge to his game.
He's a ball-winner, has improved his use of it, can kick goals from the midfield and has a big motor.
He's not at all quick, but often seems to play faster than he actually tests, probably because his endurance is better than the rest.
It wouldn't surprise me if he appeals to Essendon at pick six.
13. Jack Grimes
(Northern Knights. 18, 186cm, 82kg) Grimes is a Mr Reliable midfielder who will play for a long time.
He grinds opponents down more than burning them off, although he's tested well for speed (his endurance is top-notch).
He'll be in a leadership group before long, too.
In Grimes you get a smart and clear-headed player who makes good decisions and has a calmness about him.
14. Lachlan Henderson
(Geelong Falcons. 17, 196cm, 92kg) Henderson is this year's tricky one.
He missed the fi rst half of the season with a broken leg.
He got back after the under-18 carnival, but struggled through the last few Falcons games with various niggles.
So clubs will be considering his under-16 form strongly when they make their minds up and he showed great speed off the mark in that carnival, and covered enough ground for Geelong regional manager Michael Turner to compare him to Matthew Pavlich.
It would be no surprise if he proves to be one of the best players from this draft.
15. Patrick Veszpremi
(Northern Knights. 18, 181cm, 85kg) There is nothing subtle about Veszpremi, he is all-out in everything he does.
He has a big, right-foot kick, has played well as a small defender and as a small forward.
The query is whether he can play as a midfielder (or for how long in a game he could) although he was doing well there in the first half of the year before breaking his thumb and missing a month.
If you were picking on pure ability to infl uence a result, he would be in the first five; he's a match-shaper.
16. Tayte Pears
(East Perth. 17, 190cm, 94kg) Pears is the player I'd be trying to get if I missed out on Myers.
There's something neat, balanced and composed about him.
Supporters will feel safe when he has the footy.
He proved at the draft camp that he has some decent speed off the mark, too - 2.92 seconds over 20 metres.
17. Tom Collier
(Tassie Devils. 18, 192cm, 84kg) Collier has played and played well at both ends, but I'd be picking him as a key defender who can run and attack and read the play well.
He should get picked around the middle of the first round.
18. Scott Selwood
(Bendigo Pioneers. 17, 185cm, 80kg) A hard, solid half-back with some midfield potential.
Could come into the mix as early as pick 13 to the Eagles, and I don't imagine he'll make it through the teens.
19. Tony Notte
(Swan Districts. 17, 195cm, 72kg) Notte is a mega-skinny key forward who will need a bit of time to get himself ready.
I'm thinking he'll be looked at late in the first round or possibly by the Eagles if they want a home-grown player at pick 13 and Rance is not available.
Always seems to go to the right places.
20. Addam Maric
(Calder Cannons. 17, 187cm, 77kg) A cunning, street-smart player who can kick goals from anywhere.
You'd be picking him as a small forward, with the hope he might build up his endurance enough to spend some time in the midfi eld.
One of the most elite kicks in the draft, if not the best.
He'll kick a goal after the siren some day to win a big match.
21. Callan Ward
(Western Jets. 17, 185cm, 73kg) A defender/midfielder who has a real edge to him and who, I think, will end up a really solid, resilient, hard-to-pass backman or a determined, competitive ruck-rover who has good vision and thinks a couple of seconds ahead of what's happening.
A lot of clubs have been talking about him lately, so it will be interesting to see how high up the order he rises.
22. Brendan Whitecross
(Zillmere Eagles. 17, 183cm, 79kg) Whitecross, a Queenslander, plays with some nice balance and will run and run.
I see him playing off half-back, perhaps through the midfi eld and even as a half-forward.
He has some versatility and plays an energetic, competitive bouncy sort of game, always there to grab a handpass and run.
He has some real leadership potential, too.
23. Tom McNamara
(South Adelaide. 17, 190cm, 84kg) McNamara, a member of the AISAFL Academy, may be a tricky one for the recruiters to place, having spent the majority of his season playing school football in Adelaide.
He looks like a genuine full-back and has some good spring and athleticism.
Seems able to control the space around him well.
24. Levi Greenwood
(Port Adelaide Magpies. 18, 181cm, 93kg) Greenwood is like a human cannon ball.
You release him off the halfback line and he'll barrel through the middle, scatter one or more players, grab the ball and belt it forward.
He's big, but has some good speed and endurance, so athleticism is no issue.
He's a favourite too, but my question mark is on his kicking, which can be a bit haphazard.
25. MitchFarmer
(Calder Cannons. 18. 180cm, 77kg) Farmer, who captained the Cannons through the TAC Cup finals, is a feisty little player who I'm not sure will play as a full-time AFL midfielder, but may surprise.
You'll know what you'll get from him every single week; he'll bring guaranteed grunt, and has enough skill to go with it.

Bulldog Revolution
18-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Justr dont know enough to know whether Quayles take is a reasonable one, nor do I know enough about the players. There is so much written in the lead up to the draft that it all gets very confusing for the un-informed supporter (someone who hasn't seen the kids play).

The thing that it hammers home to me every year is just how many talented kids there are out there - there must have been 40-60 odd players mentioned in various reports as potential top 20 draft picks

GVGjr
18-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Justr dont know enough to know whether Quayles take is a reasonable one, nor do I know enough about the players. There is so much written in the lead up to the draft that it all gets very confusing for the un-informed supporter (someone who hasn't seen the kids play).

I like the fact that she has rated guys like Palmer outside of the top 10 because I don't think he is a top 10 player despite his terrific season in the west and his stellar performances in the junior carnival.

Well worth a read.

mjp
18-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I like the fact that she has rated guys like Palmer outside of the top 10 because I don't think he is a top 10 player despite his terrific season in the west and his stellar performances in the junior carnival.

Well worth a read.

I agree that Palmer is not a top-ten type talent.

I was surprised to see Farmer rated in the top 25...I think he will be an Andy Collins type at AFL level, and I can just see opposition teams trying to continually take him to the goalsquare against the likes of Embley or Silvia. I am really curious to see how he goes actually, as he has simply out-worked his opposition to this point in time...

GVGjr
18-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree that Palmer is not a top-ten type talent.

I was surprised to see Farmer rated in the top 25...I think he will be an Andy Collins type at AFL level, and I can just see opposition teams trying to continually take him to the goalsquare against the likes of Embley or Silvia. I am really curious to see how he goes actually, as he has simply out-worked his opposition to this point in time...

Gourdis not in the 25 must be a mistake I would have thought. The prospect of getting both Grant and Gourdis from our first two selections would be a terrific coup for the supporters who are crying out for key tall forwards.

I like Farmer and think we should look to draft him with one of the 3rd round seelctions. As you say, because of his lack of size he always looks like he should be found out but history would say he just finds a way to beat his opponent whoever they are.
At the senior level though that is a very difficult task. I think he needs to become a midfielder or a forward though rather than a defender.

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 04:03 PM
I haven't heard that much about Tony Notte, has anybody seen much of him?

Mofra
18-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I haven't heard that much about Tony Notte, has anybody seen much of him?

Notte does ring a bell with Clayton's earlier comments about being keen on two tall forwards and being confidant of getting both. Most of the BF phantom drafts have Notte going later than pick 19, which would give Clayton that little bit of confidence in snaring both.

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Notte would be a very hard match up at 195cm if he put on a bit of weight.
Does he play deep or more as an up the ground forward?

Mofra
18-11-2007, 04:23 PM
I haven't seen him play personally, here's a couple of profiles from others though:

"Weaver: Has been kept in a basement and fed nothing but lettuce and water. A 194cm key forward who is lighter than the midget rovers. Plenty of Thurgood, David Bourke types never flesh out and pop shoulders every fortnight. Notte presents well, can take a mark, and is a mobile option across half-forward. But will a club take a punt on a guy who may need 3-4 preseasons to put on the extra 20kg of muscle, and might never get there?"

"megladon: Impressed in 18s champs, very skinny (70kg) bottom age tall forward, very good mark on the lead, not built for the strong contested grabs but very good vertical leap and adept at plucking the ball off the back of packs, very good below the knees, keeps his feet well, loves to double back to the square, natural goal kicker and a much better kick than he showed at champs. Deceptively fast, has very quick hands, feeds runners well. Can get eased out of the toe to toe contest, will need to bulk up, may still be growing and may take 2-3yrs to do so. Top long term prospect that will develop aggression and muscle."

"AFL Insider:
Team needs are taken into account for this mock draft and also considered are the previous picks. If Richmond take an onballer early, and a ruckman with their priority choice, as they have in this mock draft, then a key position prospect could be the next item on their list.
Notte is a great prospect for the forward line, he already has height, mobility and good hands and just needs a few years to develop his strength. Not that 2011 should be a target date for anything there, but Notte would probably be Richardson's replacement and Richmond's top goal-scorer then.
Ben Reid from last year's draft might be a similar player to Notte, in terms of what happens in the draft. Younger, and thinner, than a lot of the other prospects, Reid went very high in the draft because of his potential. Reid did show in the VFL, and a brief appearance at AFL level, that it was a good pick by Collingwood. Notte doesn't have some of the predraft hype that other WA players do but a team might produce a draft day surprise and take Notte a lot earlier than expected."

"AFL Insider:
AFL Positions:
Full forward or centre half forward, Notte should become a star player whether it is in the goal-square or up the ground more.
Perfect Fit For:
The Cats don't need someone to contribute right away, so they can develop Notte along with Hawkins as their forward line of the future. Hawkins at full forward, Notte at centre half forward, it would work.
**********.net prediction:
Might just get into the first round, as the teams who played deep into the finals can afford to take a player who might be several years away, in terms of getting stronger for the AFL. The Power could see him as someone who can eventually take over from Tredrea, and he might be there when they pick towards the end of the first round.

GVGjr
18-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Notte would be a very hard match up at 195cm if he put on a bit of weight.
Does he play deep or more as an up the ground forward?

Can do both. Probably better suited to a HFF or CHF but could play FP or FF. Nice mark and kick and is very mobile. Needs a lot of weight though but he looks like he has the frame to support it.

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 09:44 PM
If we claim Notte with our 2nd or 3rd picks, I'll spew, and Clayton should be arrested for setting the club back 3-4 years (the kid's just another stick)...unless of course, he is proven correct and the girls blouse can play! In Notte's favour though, he does present and is team orientated, but leave me out of him. Draft some true KPP's with muscle.

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 09:52 PM
If we claim Notte with our 2nd or 3rd picks, I'll spew, and Clayton should be arrested for setting the club back 3-4 years (the kid's just another stick)...unless of course, he is proven correct and the girls blouse can play! In Notte's favour though, he does present and is team orientated, but leave me out of him. Draft some true KPP's with muscle.

I hope that we don't take the approach you are suggesting although I agree that we can't have to many skinny kids selected in one draft. I would have thought the drafting of someone like Notte would be OK for us if we have selected someone like McEvoy or Grant ahead of him. Everitt was only 73kg when we drafted him.

The Coon Dog
18-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Draft day is certainly going to be like Christmas for me. Can't wait!!

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2007, 10:17 AM

Bastard!

The Underdog
19-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Can you let Santa Scotty Claus know we want 5 new bikes and a Playstation, and not socks and jocks?

Mantis
19-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Can you let Santa Scotty Claus know we want 5 new bikes and a Playstation, and not socks and jocks?

And not a Jesse Wells clone... We want a tall forward who can actually play.

Dogs 24/7
19-11-2007, 08:50 PM
If we use the six selections what mix of players do you see us selecting? Three talls and three midfielders?

The Underdog
19-11-2007, 09:15 PM
If we use the six selections what mix of players do you see us selecting? Three talls and three midfielders?

Possibly 2 KPP's, a ruck and 3 mids, although knowing Clayton they'll be tall mids.
If not a ruck then possibly a 3rd KPP towards the back end.

Does this draft day seem a lot more important than previously. We've lost a lot of experience in the last two years and have 7 players to replace. We've turned over a lot of our list and it just feels like this year will have a big impact on where we are in 5 years time. It feels like Clayton really needs to hit with this one. I know the draft is always important but this one just feels someow more important. Or maybe I'm just really missing footy?

soupman
19-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I love draft day. They're all champions for a three month period.:D

Mantis
19-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Possibly 2 KPP's, a ruck and 3 mids, although knowing Clayton they'll be tall mids.
If not a ruck then possibly a 3rd KPP towards the back end.

Does this draft day seem a lot more important than previously. We've lost a lot of experience in the last two years and have 7 players to replace. We've turned over a lot of our list and it just feels like this year will have a big impact on where we are in 5 years time. It feels like Clayton really needs to hit with this one. I know the draft is always important but this one just feels someow more important. Or maybe I'm just really missing footy?

Nah I think your on the money. Over the past few years we have been building a pretty good list, but we have some big holes to fill. In this day and age the only way to this is via the draft, sure you can use the trade period which we have done effectively, but the draft is the key.

We as many have suggested need to find some effective key forwards. This draft supposedly has some good prospects in this area so we have to pick the right ones. I am hopeful that Clayton can pick the right ones, although his track record in drafting key forwards is pretty poor so heres hoping he can turn it around.