PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Get Brian Lake

bulldogtragic
06-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Ok, so it's a cheap conversation starter. Sue me. :)

But if Brian wanted to come back, the Hawks weren't overly keen to offer a new contract and Bevo saw Roughy as a swing man and Rance, Carlise etc all said no...

Brian Lake, $350,000 for a year or two....

azabob
06-05-2015, 09:45 PM
I cant see the value he would offer on or off the field.

BulldogBelle
06-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Wtf......

chef
06-05-2015, 09:49 PM
No thanks.

1eyedog
06-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Would be a 180 from where we have come and where we are going. We are facing forward as a club now not back. He's past it (Boyd got hold of him in Tassie) and is injury prone, massive risk and one we really don't need to take. Macca underestimated Talia and Roberts by approaching Lonergan and now both are in the best 22. Hamling is another on the cusp. I don't want a 34 year old taking up a spot of a young key back for a year or two.

EasternWest
06-05-2015, 10:18 PM

But if Brian wanted to come back, the Hawks weren't overly keen to offer a new contract and Bevo saw Roughy as a swing man and Rance, Carlise etc all said no...

No.

Let's be honest, Brian Lake was a super player for us. His departure was perfectly timed for all parties and I'd say it's been positive for all parties.

But let's not forget one thing: He's a bit of a dickhead, but when he WAS our backline, we overlooked that fact. If he'd been at our club last year, there's no doubt in my mind he would have been a chief agitator in the McCartney revolt.

We've backed our talls in this year, and they've responded. What kind of message does it send them if we bring Lake back? A poor one, and that's being positive.

I think securing TB for us has gone to your head BT.

LostDoggy
06-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Ummmm no nien nyet negative nope ixnay on the nonay

Maybe sometime later on as a Backline Coach though

bulldogtragic
06-05-2015, 10:23 PM
No.

Let's be honest, Brian Lake was a super player for us. His departure was perfectly timed for all parties and I'd say it's been positive for all parties.

But let's not forget one thing: He's a bit of a dickhead, but when he WAS our backline, we overlooked that fact. If he'd been at our club last year, there's no doubt in my mind he would have been a chief agitator in the McCartney revolt.

We've backed our talls in this year, and they've responded. What kind of message does it send them if we bring Lake back? A poor one, and that's being positive.

I think securing TB for us has gone to your head BT.

:) I never said we should do it. It's cast as a hypothetical scenario.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Not one of your better threads bt :p

bulldogtragic
06-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Not one of your better threads bt :p

I guess I'll take it on the chin. But as it was a conversation starter, is the notion of him coming back stupid because of his age, body, form, brain fades, attitude or dickheadishness

1eyedog
06-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Because he's not the difference between us playing in a Grand Final or not, which is all that really matters as far as I'm concerned.

Greystache
06-05-2015, 11:01 PM
is the notion of him coming back stupid because of his age, body, form, brain fades, attitude or dickheadishness

Yes :D

He's the best defender I've seen play for the club, but we both moved on some time ago and it was best for of us.

1eyedog
06-05-2015, 11:05 PM
He's been very uninspiring in his four games this year I think he' just about done.

bornadog
06-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Too late, no thanks

jeemak
06-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Aside from Grant he's the best defender I've seen at the club.

He was also the highest priority in players that needed to be pushed out when the culture of the place became an issue that desperately needed addressing.

Good on him for moving on and gaining success.

boydogs
06-05-2015, 11:16 PM
I guess I'll take it on the chin. But as it was a conversation starter, is the notion of him coming back stupid because of his age, body, form, brain fades, attitude or dickheadishness

Those, and he would steal games from Zaine Cordy :)

bulldogtragic
06-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Aside from Grant he's the best defender I've seen at the club.

He was also the highest priority in players that needed to be pushed out when the culture of the place became an issue that desperately needed addressing.

Good on him for moving on and gaining success.

Nice to see someone else rating Jarrad as highly as I do. So now there's two of us. :)

bulldogtragic
06-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Those, and he would steal games from Zaine Cordy :)

Hmmm.... Touche BD. Touche. :)

Scraggers
06-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Fredo, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you at the hotels, I don't want you near my house. When you see our mother, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there. You understand?

Ghost Dog
06-05-2015, 11:50 PM
How about Cooney as well? ;)

Ghost Dog
06-05-2015, 11:51 PM
opps posted twice. Internet hang.

jeemak
07-05-2015, 12:03 AM
How about Cooney as well? ;)

Get Cooney was so 2012............

westbulldog
07-05-2015, 02:38 AM
Let it remain hypothetical. Lake, Ward, Harbrow, Griffin, Cooney, Jones etc are now meagre history, the Club has moved on, magnificently. If anything go after Rance and a ruckman.

Mofra
07-05-2015, 11:08 AM
He's done. This will be his last year, surely.
Was good does not equate to is good.

F'scary
07-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I like this thread.

bornadog
07-05-2015, 01:27 PM
I like this thread.
There should be a section on the Forum for jokes of the week

Maddog37
07-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Be great at full back for Footscray!

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 06:12 PM
I've got no problems of lake coons coming back to our club next year.............
As Bevo's Runners.;)

LostDoggy
07-05-2015, 06:43 PM

I'm 100% on board, mate. Brian Lake for Footscray, teaching Zaine.

Flamethrower
07-05-2015, 07:45 PM
If the Hawks decide to move Brain Fade on at the end of the season, expect him at the Carlton Rebuilding Project or the North Melbourne Youth Movement in 2016.

G-Mo77
07-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Why not just get Lonergan then?

Great player at our club and lets leave it at that.

EasternWest
08-05-2015, 02:28 PM
I've got no problems of lake coons coming back to our club next year.............
As Bevo's Runners.;)

Well then we might finally see Cooney run both ways.

merantau
08-05-2015, 04:32 PM
I rate Brian highly as an attacking full back who read the game superbly and performed with distinction against some very good players. If he is prone to nightmares, I suspect the unsettling visage of Drew Petrie would appear regularly. Herb henderson was a top-liner who had Coleman's measure. Dave Darcy (ex-Sunshine YCW)was a beautiful mark and kick who had pace, played in front and backed his judgment. He teamed beautifully with back pocket Ray Walker (ex-Braybrook EC) Brian served us very well. Who can forget his running goal against the Swans in that final a few years back? Or the sealer he kicked in the pre-season GF? He looked like a stunned mullet when he got the pass from Barry Hall but still went back and calmly slotted it.
We have not had a lot of success with re-cycled players, players with onjuries (that's an on-going injury) or aged recruits, over the years - I could name a lot more duds than diamonds. Does the name Alan Jakovich ring a bell? Jayde Rawlings? Robert Klomp? Max Crow? Alan Edwards?

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-05-2015, 05:23 PM
I rate Brian highly as an attacking full back who read the game superbly and performed with distinction against some very good players. If he is prone to nightmares, I suspect the unsettling visage of Drew Petrie would appear regularly. Herb henderson was a top-liner who had Coleman's measure. Dave Darcy (ex-Sunshine YCW)was a beautiful mark and kick who had pace, played in front and backed his judgment. He teamed beautifully with back pocket Ray Walker (ex-Braybrook EC) Brian served us very well. Who can forget his running goal against the Swans in that final a few years back? Or the sealer he kicked in the pre-season GF? He looked like a stunned mullet when he got the pass from Barry Hall but still went back and calmly slotted it.
We have not had a lot of success with re-cycled players, players with onjuries (that's an on-going injury) or aged recruits, over the years - I could name a lot more duds than diamonds. Does the name Alan Jakovich ring a bell? Jayde Rawlings? Robert Klomp? Max Crow? Alan Edwards?
I would be happy to give Lake a miss going forward in favour of continuing to pursue our recruiting policy of bringing the best young talent to the WB which we have done brilliantly in the past 2-3 years. Lake was a fine servant for our Club apart from his last two years when he struggled with injury. I enjoyed reading your terrific knowledge of former years.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Montgomery won a cut throat final off his own back when he came back to top up the list.

:)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
08-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Where is Alan Jacovich?

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Where is Alan Jacovich?

Working for Four N Twenty

merantau
08-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Yes, thanks for reminding me of that one. Monty was magnificent that day. Got pole-axed at the opening bounce and went on to kick four goals.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Yes, thanks for reminding me of that one. Monty was magnificent that day. Got pole-axed at the opening bounce and went on to kick four goals.

Like Stewy Dew at Hawthorn, the one game was worth the top up year they got. Monty was awesome that day.

merantau
08-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Shortly after his career ended it was reported that he was overseas and could not be contacted. As to why - you'll have to draw your own conclusions. Played seven games, kicked seven goals - that's about 100k a goal. Nice work if you can get it. Did he ever win a Best Clubman award anywhere?

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Shortly after his career ended it was reported that he was overseas and could not be contacted. As to why - you'll have to draw your own conclusions. Played seven games, kicked seven goals - that's about 100k a goal. Nice work if you can get it. Did he ever win a Best Clubman award anywhere?

Jakovich?

He was actually one of my favorite non Bulldogs players around that time so I was pretty excited when we got him. I didn't put much thought into draft picks back then. I'm pretty sure we got him with a highish pick didn't we?

bulldogtragic
08-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Jakovich?

He was actually one of my favorite non Bulldogs players around that time so I was pretty excited when we got him. I didn't put much thought into draft picks back then. I'm pretty sure we got him with a highish pick didn't we?

First rounder. Pick 10 springs to mind.

G-Mo77
08-05-2015, 07:03 PM
First rounder. Pick 10 springs to mind.

A wiki search tells me he went #9 so you where close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_AFL_draft

bulldogtragic
08-05-2015, 07:16 PM
A wiki search tells me he went #9 so you where close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_AFL_draft

That's right. Collingwood I think had pick 10 and were thought to be landing Jackovich with it.

jeemak
08-05-2015, 08:49 PM
That's right. Collingwood I think had pick 10 and were thought to be landing Jackovich with it.

Barry Hall at 19 might have been handy, and almost in his prime at the time we were starting our window around 2008-2010.

Twodogs
08-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Barry Hall at 19 might have been handy, and almost in his prime at the time we were starting our window around 2008-2010.

By which time Sydney would have lured him away. Probably.

Twodogs
08-05-2015, 09:29 PM

Nice.

Did any player have Henderson's measure?

Throughandthrough
10-05-2015, 09:38 PM
OT, heard a rumour of a very very good young, interstate, player who is very interested in the Bulldogs. There's zero chance of me giving any more clues than that, but the source is as good as they get.

G-Mo77
10-05-2015, 09:40 PM
OT, heard a rumour of a very very good young, interstate, player who is very interested in the Bulldogs. There's zero chance of me giving any more clues than that, but the source is as good as they get.

Zac Dawson?

bulldogtragic
10-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Zac Dawson?

Josh Hill in keeping with the thread?

Maddog37
10-05-2015, 09:51 PM

That is just cruel......

bornadog
10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Its great players want to come to us.

boydogs
10-05-2015, 10:39 PM

No more clues I know, but I'm assuming an AFL player not a draftee or state leaguer, and interstate meaning outside Vic? (not outside SA where you are from)

Twodogs
10-05-2015, 10:49 PM
No more clues I know, but I'm assuming an AFL player not a draftee or state leaguer, and interstate meaning outside Vic? (not outside SA where you are from)

Yep. Give us that.

Throughandthrough
10-05-2015, 10:52 PM

Yes, an AFL player who played on the weekend, and doesn't live in Victoria. And honestly that's it.

azabob
10-05-2015, 11:01 PM
This riddle TT posted belongs on this Who am I thread!

bornadog
10-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Yes, an AFL player who played on the weekend, and doesn't live in Victoria. And honestly that's it.

best not to say too much as there are journos lurking.

bulldogtragic
10-05-2015, 11:06 PM
This riddle TT posted belongs on this Who am I thread!

By my count its 176 players to pick from.
It's a young player. So that's about 120.
Very, very good gets it to about 5 at each club. So 40.

So take the top 5 very, very good young players out of contract. So it's maybe 15 players.

boydogs
10-05-2015, 11:11 PM
T&T being South Australian, I'll take a shot in the dark and say Ollie Wines

bulldogtragic
10-05-2015, 11:15 PM
T&T being South Australian, I'll take a shot in the dark and say Ollie Wines

He's a well travelled business type with contacts all over Australia. It could be any out of contract kid realistically.

Throughandthrough
10-05-2015, 11:23 PM
He's a well travelled business type with contacts all over Australia. It could be any out of contract kid realistically.

Flattery almost worked

bulldogtragic
10-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Flattery almost worked

Damn. I guess I should've gone with 'men want to be him and women want to...."

boydogs
11-05-2015, 12:13 AM

I've made a list of all the blokes that played for non-Vic clubs this weekend that would qualify for Pups voting (under 23 as at 1/1/15)

Wines is injured so it's not him. Wingard maybe, being from SA and meeting the very, very good criterion :)

Port Adelaide
Chad Wingard
Jack Hombsch
Aaron Young
Brendon Ah Chee

Adelaide
Rory Laird
Jake Kelly
Jake Lever
Luke Brown
Charlie Cameron
Mitchell Grigg
Brodie Smith
Matt Crouch
Jarryd Lyons

West Coast
Andrew Gaff
Elliot Yeo
Dominic Sheed
Liam Duggan
Jamie Cripps
Jeremy McGovern
Fraser McInnes
Jackson Nelson

Brisbane
Lewis Taylor
Ryan Lester
Daniel McStay
Marco Paparone
Nicholas Robertson
Harris Andrews
Joshua Green
Darcy Gardiner
Justin Clarke
Tom Cutler

Sydney
Tom Mitchell
Luke Parker
Jake Lloyd
Sam Reid
Isaac Heeney

Fremantle
Lachie Neale
Cameron Sutcliffe
Alex Pearce
Matthew Taberner

Gold Coast
Dion Prestia
Adam Saad
Touk Miller
Matt Shaw
Kade Kolodjashnij
Alex Sexton
Thomas Lynch
Mitchell Hallahan
Luke Russell
Tom Nicholls
Henry Schade
Jesse Lonergan
Sean Lemmens
Josh Glenn
Clay Cameron

GWS
Adam Treloar
Dylan Shiel
Lachie Whitfield
Toby Greene
Stephen Coniglio
Devon Smith
Jeremy Cameron
Nick Haynes
James Stewart
Adam Kennedy
Matthew Buntine
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Tomas Bugg
Cameron McCarthy
Zachary Williams

comrade
11-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Daniel wants to join brother Michael in world domination?

#Talia2Talia

Or Rory Sloane wants to make us even scarier?

#BulldogsBiteBulldogsRory

chef
11-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Dan Talia.

comrade
11-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Dan Talia.

If we snared him, we're pretty much set.

Dan to take the gorillas at full back, Michael to CHB, Roughy to the ruck and forward when needed.

I find it interesting that there are plenty of rumbles around us getting a key defender; Carlisle and May are 2 names that have popped up.

Not sure if Dan Talia is T&T's man, but it would certainly fit the theme of us seeking a defender.

The Doctor
11-05-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm going to play detective here.

1st clue is the post was made in the Brian Lake thread rather than the list management thread. So my instinct tells me the player in question is likely to be a key defender.

2nd Clue is the player is young and seemingly a gun. I take young to be under 23 or thereabouts.

3rd clue is the player is interstate and wants to come to the dogs. Probably a Victorian wanting to come home and the choice of Dogs could mean there is a connection.

my guess Daniel Talia, followed by Steven mAY

bulldogtragic
11-05-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm going to play detective here.

1st clue is the post was made in the Brian Lake thread rather than the list management thread. So my instinct tells me the player in question is likely to be a key defender.

2nd Clue is the player is young and seemingly a gun. I take young to be under 23 or thereabouts.

3rd clue is the player is interstate and wants to come to the dogs. Probably a Victorian wanting to come home and the choice of Dogs could mean there is a connection.

my guess Daniel Talia, followed by Steven mAY

Dealing with Eade and Clayton.... I'd love it to be May for that alone.

Happy Days
11-05-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm riding with Prestia; he's out of contract at the end of next year and surely everyone at the Suns is miserable.

It's obviously Talia but why can't it be Prestia?

soupman
11-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Didn't we make a play for May last year and get rejected by him? I seem to remember reports along those lines.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Treloar come back to Vic, and I know he was good mates with Darley.

Maddog37
11-05-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm going with Treloar or WHE.

Twodogs
11-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Dan Talia coming home to his real club would be a great story on a couple of fronts. Reuniting with his brother and his grandad is a Footscray premiership hero. It would help with the flexibility of the team.

Mofra
11-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Henry Schade
Not sure if he's the one T&T was referring to, but there are rumours we're all over this kid.

~196cm KPD, highly rated in his draft year.

jeemak
11-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Not sure if he's the one T&T was referring to, but there are rumours we're all over this kid.

~196cm KPD, highly rated in his draft year.

What's limited him to only a couple of games so far?

Happy Days
11-05-2015, 06:20 PM
What's limited him to only a couple of games so far?

May/Thompson/Day taking the talls, Tape/McKenzie/Kolodjashnij taking the third talls.

I know it's pretty much the worst reason to recruit someone, but those are some pretty talented names.

Twodogs
11-05-2015, 09:03 PM
May/Thompson/Day taking the talls, Tape/McKenzie/Kolodjashnij taking the third talls.

I know it's pretty much the worst reason to recruit someone, but those are some pretty talented names.

A good/promising player being kept out of the seniors because his club has too many of his type is about the best reason to recruit a player I reckon.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Apparently Brian has told Hawthorn he wants to play another year, but no commitment as yet. :)

bornadog
29-06-2015, 11:41 PM
Brian who.:D

LostDoggy
30-06-2015, 07:08 PM

Harris.

Twodogs
30-06-2015, 08:18 PM

Harris.

Brian Harris was a good player but that Brian Lake was a gun.

Scorlibo
30-06-2015, 10:59 PM

Brian Harris has more B&Fs though ;)

LostDoggy
30-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Easton > Brian

bulldogtragic
30-06-2015, 11:43 PM
easton & brian

:) :)

Twodogs
01-07-2015, 12:29 AM
Brian Harris has more B&Fs though ;)

Lake has more premiership medallions and Norm Smith medals. I know what I'd rather.

:) :)

Stoppit.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Brian was once again a high intercept marker and intercept possession player this year. The thread started tongue in cheek, but maybe, just maybe, he's a stop gap for a year if we can't land a really good KPD this year?? I've heard he and Bevo get along well...

bornadog
06-10-2015, 03:40 PM
nah, another Clayton bad pick ;)

LostDoggy
06-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Lake on Trade Radio at present. Sounds keen on Caroline Springs next year. Great guy to listen to.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Lake on Trade Radio at present. Sounds keen on Caroline Springs next year. Great guy to listen to.

If Brian wants to ensure he gets the full back spot in our next team of the century he needs to come back. Another $200,000 will help the superannuation fund.

Templeton31
06-10-2015, 04:09 PM
BBB (Bring Back Briza). It seems as though we won't get an additional KPD in trade week and in fact will lose one (Talia) so why not as a stop gap? We obviously had a crack at Lonergan last year as a stop gap so maybe Briza is the stop gap answer for a year?

KT31
06-10-2015, 05:04 PM

My Father-in-law once said to me, "Lake is a gun and once you get Harris back your backline will be the best in the competition.":)
Bloody Hawks supporter who ended up with Lake, so I still tell him its lucky they didn't take Harris as well.

anfo27
06-10-2015, 05:08 PM
No thanks, Brian is clearly cooked. If he had anything left the hawks would have offered him another deal.

Sedat
06-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Brian was once again a high intercept marker and intercept possession player this year. The thread started tongue in cheek, but maybe, just maybe, he's a stop gap for a year if we can't land a really good KPD this year?? I've heard he and Bevo get along well...
Happy to look at this if Bryza wants to play on for the right reasons. He was magnificent again on Saturday (he was throughout the finals to be honest) so the form is not an issue at all. We still look very thin down back for KPD depth, especially with Talia leaving.

If we are serious internally about 2016 (and I'm talking top 4 and premiership calculations serious), it is a conversation well worth having. Depends entirely on where Bevo and the MC think we are in our development next year.

Twodogs
06-10-2015, 05:14 PM
BBB (Bring Back Briza). It seems as though we won't get an additional KPD in trade week and in fact will lose one (Talia) so why not as a stop gap? We obviously had a crack at Lonergan last year as a stop gap so maybe Briza is the stop gap answer for a year?

I just thought about Lonergen last year and Lake. He can still play-he was pretty good in the Grand Final. He missed a fair chunk of the regular season just gone didn't he?

bornadog
06-10-2015, 05:18 PM
No thanks, Brian is clearly cooked. If he had anything left the hawks would have offered him another deal.

He looked cooked during the year and I was surprised he played in the finals. Played ok, but you are right, Hawks aren't stupid.

LostDoggy
06-10-2015, 05:23 PM
He managed 22 games this year, 312 disposals and 147 marks.

Fair return for a 33 year old KPD.

bornadog
06-10-2015, 05:25 PM
He managed 22 games this year, 312 disposals and 147 marks.

Fair return for a 33 year old KPD.

He is the best judge of a ball in flight I have ever seen.

Templeton31
06-10-2015, 05:45 PM
I just thought about Lonergen last year and Lake. He can still play-he was pretty good in the Grand Final. He missed a fair chunk of the regular season just gone didn't he?

If we were prepared to throw a suitcase of money at Lonergan last year as a stop gap then I don't see why we wouldn't at Briza. Less money for 1 year. having said that the coach has changed since the big Lonergan offer....

Sedat
06-10-2015, 05:53 PM
If we were prepared to throw a suitcase of money at Lonergan last year as a stop gap then I don't see why we wouldn't at Briza. Less money for 1 year. having said that the coach has changed since the big Lonergan offer....
Let's ponder the Lonergan offer - $500k a season for 4 years for a 30yo who basically punches the ball (he does this very well to be fair) and does little else - I feel queasy just thinking about it again. And only by Tom's good grace and loyalty to Geelong did it not proceed.

Templeton31
06-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Let's ponder the Lonergan offer - $500k a season for 4 years for a 30yo who basically punches the ball (he does this very well to be fair) and does little else - I feel queasy just thinking about it again. And only by Tom's good grace and loyalty to Geelong did it not proceed.

I think Lonergan is a model citizen and leader which is probably also what the club (BMac) had in mind last year. And certainly Briza doesn't fit those criteria (with all due respect to Briza).

bornadog
06-10-2015, 06:06 PM
I think Lonergan is a model citizen and leader which is probably also what the club (BMac) had in mind last year. And certainly Briza doesn't fit those criteria (with all due respect to Briza).

No use being a model citizen if you aren't a very good footballer.

Maddog37
06-10-2015, 06:08 PM

I think Lonergan has made himself into a better than average defender.

Sedat
06-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Lonergan is an excellent player, just that he's limited to defensive efforts only. He fits in well at Geelong because they have Harry Taylor as the more offensive-minded tall defender (and Scarlett before that). But at the kennel we already have Morris as a purely negative tall(ish) defender - likewise Roberts and Hamling don't yet provide attacking drive - so the decision to chase Lonergan was foolhardy in the extreme, let alone for the proposed cash and length of contract.

Speed of ball movement is critical in the modern game - you can't have a backline stacked with pure negators (maybe Ross Lyon and Paul Roos could).

LostDoggy
06-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Apparently Lake was just on SEN (turning into a media tart). Said a return to the Dogs would be "a bit of a fairy tale" and was open to some form of coaching/development role at the Dogs.

Earlier today he spoke about the painful 50 minute drive from Caroline Springs to Waverley an how he's a Western Suburbs person at heart.

Reckon he'd be back at the Dogs if we offer him a spot.

1eyedog
06-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Apparently Lake was just on SEN (turning into a media tart). Said a return to the Dogs would be "a bit of a fairy tale" and was open to some form of coaching/development role at the Dogs.

Earlier today he spoke about the painful 50 minute drive from Caroline Springs to Waverley an how he's a Western Suburbs person at heart.

Reckon he'd be back at the Dogs if we offer him a spot.

Wasn't there a saying many moons a go that you know you're washed up when you are at full forward for Footscray? Does the same apply to the Western Bulldogs and full back?

FWIW I'd take Lake for a year no problems. He can still play.

G-Mo77
06-10-2015, 09:30 PM

Uh, that was a very bad time. 89 was by far the worst year to be a supporter, I can still remember it so well and I was only 12, this time last year was 2nd. It felt like the club was going to implode.

jeemak
06-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Whilst the October period was fairly putrid for our club last year, a cursory search of the web suggests it was only 75% as bad from a Lonergan tenure perspective, whilst I'd be fairly certain the salary offered was over blown but I can't know that for sure.

I wonder if a 30 year old Lonergan was on the market now we'd consider him worth $400-500K a year for three years? I have my suspicions we would knowing what we now know.

Brian was an excellent footballer, and one I suspect if still able to be carried in a side that is well lead, experienced, well structured and in the premiership window (much like Hawthorn are) he would be. I kind of get the feeling (yay Bruce!) the Hawks believe they've gotten all they can out of him, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was both on and off the ground.

I don't want him at our club in a playing capacity, our thinking needs to be longer term as our defensive structuring isn't comprehensive enough as yet to make him still look like he has got it.

Congratulations on a fantastic career Brian, one that surpassed my expectations and one you should be very happy with.

Scraggers
06-10-2015, 11:47 PM
To help as a specialist coach with our backline coach ... Yes
To return as a player, even just as a veteran rookie ... No

NoseBleed
07-10-2015, 01:40 AM
Best read of the ball in flight ever.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Pretty amazing to think he has ended his career as a triple premiership player for Hawthorn. He was so important to us during our 2008-2010 period, and one of my favourite Bulldog players when at full flight.

Would be great to see him back at the club in some capacity. I'm sure he learned a lot in his time at Hawthorn and could prove a good mentor for our young key position stocks.

1eyedog
07-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Pretty amazing to think he has ended his career as a triple premiership player for Hawthorn. He was so important to us during our 2008-2010 period, and one of my favourite Bulldog players when at full flight.

Would be great to see him back at the club in some capacity. I'm sure he learned a lot in his time at Hawthorn and could prove a good mentor for our young key position stocks.

Wouldn't Bevo have worked closely as back line coach with Lake at Hawthorn? And wouldn't Roughie and Roberts have spent large amount of time working with and learning off Lake during his time at the club?

Do you think it would actually be worth bringing Lake back to the club in a coaching capacity? It would be a romantic gesture on our club's behalf but couldn't the money be better spent elsewhere?

Dancin' Douggy
07-10-2015, 09:28 AM
I'd take him as a player for one year.
He might win another Norm Smith.
Seriously.

1eyedog
07-10-2015, 10:11 AM
I'd take him as a player for one year.
He might win another Norm Smith.
Seriously.

He's got a year left as a player, has finals experience, will be cheap and fills a need.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-10-2015, 11:18 AM
He is the best judge of a ball in flight I have ever seen.

Up there with Templeton, Whitten and Chris Grant. Jim Edmond had it too.

lemmon
07-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Sounds too much like Tony Lockett, Fraser Gehrig etc coming out of retirement for one more season. Played well in the Grand Final but I thought he was cooked against West Coast over there. I'd be disappointed if that was the club's direction after we put so much faith in youth this year

LostDoggy
07-10-2015, 11:56 AM
He's got a year left as a player, has finals experience, will be cheap and fills a need.

Very good point. If everything goes right next year and we do find ourselves in the big one, how invaluable would somebody who's played (and delivered) in the last 3 GFs be, up against a playing list with zero experience.

1eyedog
07-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Sounds too much like Tony Lockett, Fraser Gehrig etc coming out of retirement for one more season. Played well in the Grand Final but I thought he was cooked against West Coast over there. I'd be disappointed if that was the club's direction after we put so much faith in youth this year

I'm not fussed what it appears like from the outside. Roberts will still get a number of games next year, can't see Lake playing more than 13-15. What do we have to lose? If he's cooked he's cooked tell him to take off the boots and assist with development for the remainder of the year. If we do play finals next year I have more faith in Lake at FB than Roughie or Roberts to be honest.

1eyedog
07-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Very good point. If everything goes right next year and we do find ourselves in the big one, how invaluable would somebody who's played (and delivered) in the last 3 GFs be, up against a playing list with zero experience.

That's my feeling too.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Wouldn't Bevo have worked closely as back line coach with Lake at Hawthorn? And wouldn't Roughie and Roberts have spent large amount of time working with and learning off Lake during his time at the club?

Do you think it would actually be worth bringing Lake back to the club in a coaching capacity? It would be a romantic gesture on our club's behalf but couldn't the money be better spent elsewhere?

He has been gone for 3 years, so I'm not sure how much overlap there is with Roughead as a defender and Roberts being in the list. I'm sure others like Tom Boyd, Hamling etc could learn a bit from him.

At the end of the day, the club will be well positioned to know if he's a guy we should target for some kind of coaching role.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2015, 02:13 PM
If we landed a good ruck, another quality mid and the options for a KPD weren't there then we'd have to look at it. I'd rather a one year stop gap than make a longer commitment that we could better next year. It's a long way from happening, but I rather a one year mistake than a 3 year deal of overs because we need something right now.

bornadog
07-10-2015, 02:16 PM
If we landed a good ruck, another quality mid and the options for a KPD weren't there then we'd have to look at it. I'd rather a one year stop gap than make a longer commitment that we could better next year. It's a long way from happening, but I rather a one year mistake than a 3 year deal of overs because we need something right now.

If we could land Henderson, then we have solved our problem.

1eyedog
07-10-2015, 02:18 PM
If we could land Henderson, then we have solved our problem.

Hendo would be a good acquisition, just hope it didn't turn into a Rawlings type scenario where the player didn't want to come.

Topdog
07-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Surprised this has had so much discussion. He is finished and has opted to retire immediately. Sounds like he will go back and play for Caroline Springs. Has shown nothing to suggest that he is interested in coaching either.

Sedat
07-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Surprised this has had so much discussion. He is finished and has opted to retire immediately. Sounds like he will go back and play for Caroline Springs. Has shown nothing to suggest that he is interested in coaching either.
I guess because Lakey continued to do the business on field, wanted to play on in 2016 and had the decision taken out of his hands by the Hawks. I know he's retired now but perhaps after a few weeks at home being bored and not sure what to do in 2016 and beyond he might have a change of heart - it has been known to happen before. You are a long time retired, and if he feels there is still some juice left in the tank it would not surprise me to see him to a 'Ben Hudson'.

Rocket Science
07-10-2015, 03:14 PM

FWIW I caught an excerpt from an interview with him yesterday and he did speak of an interest in staying in the game in some capacity (beyond playing), ideally combining playing, media work and some form of coaching, reckoning he's "got a bit to offer".

LostDoggy
07-10-2015, 03:51 PM
FWIW I caught an excerpt from an interview with him yesterday and he did speak of an interest in staying in the game in some capacity (beyond playing), ideally combining playing, media work and some form of coaching, reckoning he's "got a bit to offer".

Yep that was the same SEN interview where he also said it would be a bit of a fairy tale to finish his career back at the Dogs. It was after that interview that I gave the idea some credence.

Remi Moses
07-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Stick a fork in Brian, he's done .
Excellent career, and for a change Clayton got one right;)
Let's not talk about those 1st round failures

Pickenitup
07-10-2015, 06:46 PM
I reckon Brian Has another year in him I reckon if Bev asked the question Brian would change his mind.
I think we can win flag next year wont cost us anything and we need Lakes experience in the big finals.

LostDoggy
07-10-2015, 07:09 PM
I'm happy to have him back at the Kennel as a specialist coach only if he's serious about it. If he's going to do a Scarlett (i.e. turn up, talk shit around the gym for half an hour and go home again after cashing the cheque) then he can stay in Caroline Springs.

Playing capacity? The only way I'd consider it is if we managed to snare Gibson as well. So no.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm happy to have him back at the Kennel as a specialist coach only if he's serious about it. If he's going to do a Scarlett (i.e. turn up, talk shit around the gym for half an hour and go home again after cashing the cheque) then he can stay in Caroline Springs.

Playing capacity? The only way I'd consider it is if we managed to snare Gibson as well. So no.

Wood is now a better Gibson than Gibson though.

LostDoggy
07-10-2015, 07:54 PM
A bloke on SEN put in a pretty good call this morning. Talked about climate change and the AFL's effect on it, with Rivers, Lake, Raines and Hale all drying up.

LostDoggy
07-10-2015, 08:02 PM
A bloke on SEN put in a pretty good call this morning. Talked about climate change and the AFL's effect on it, with Rivers, Lake, Raines and Hale all drying up.

We got an early warning too earlier in the year with Waters...

Bulldog4life
08-10-2015, 02:33 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-08/why-bulldogs-should-chase-lake

BRIAN Lake declared suburban team Caroline Springs as his likely destination after his departure from Hawthorn, but another club from Melbourne's west should also register its interest.

The Western Bulldogs are in the market for a key defender and if they can't pry an established one from another club, they could do a lot worse than sound out the man they traded to the Hawks three seasons ago – especially if they believe their rapidly developing list has moved into a premiership window.

Lake demonstrated during the Hawks' Grand Final victory over West Coast that he's lost none of his key attributes – contested marking, reading of the play and closing speed.

While he insisted he was happy to slip into retirement at a press conference on Tuesday, the 33-year-old was singing a different tune after playing in his third premiership in three seasons.

Lake, Hale call it quits

"The body is going fine, I think my form is reasonably good as well, (so) I'd love to go again," Lake said.

"This year I played 22 games (and) the club didn't expect that.

"You'd say this was a fairytale finishing after three premierships, but I love football."

While Lake doesn't feature in Alastair Clarkson's future plans, Luke Beveridge should strongly consider throwing the 251-game veteran a lifeline.

And Beveridge knows him well, having been his backine coach during the Hawks' 2013 and 2014 premiership campaigns.

Ahead of the trade and free agency periods, the Bulldogs' key defensive stocks look thin, with Michael Talia departing the club and list manager Jason McCartney conceding the Dogs were never in the hunt for wantaway Bomber Jake Carlisle.

The acquisition of Lake would help the Dogs' team balance considerably.

He would allow Jordan Roughead to play in his preferred ruck role and leave Dale Morris to concentrate on smaller types in the twilight of his career.

He'd also provide valuable support and experience to developing key defensive trio Fletcher Roberts (19 games), Joel Hamling (11) and Zaine Cordy (1).

And when asked whether he'd entertain the thought of a returning to the club where he played 197 games and earned All Australian honours, Lake was still talking fairytales.

"To go back to my old club the Western Bulldogs for a year would be a fairytale," Lake told SEN.

"(But) I'm very much retired and looking forward to local football.

"I'd like to do some part-time coaching (at somewhere like) the Doggies and help their list get up and going."

Lake has ruled out a move interstate for the next chapter of his footballing journey, and conveniently for him and the Dogs, Whitten Oval is only 22 kms down the road from his home in Caroline Springs.

bornadog
08-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Same article posted at same time, but B4L beat me so deleted.

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2015, 02:48 PM
It actually makes sense to me.

Rocket Science
08-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Must confess I didn't take this seriously at first but - short of luring a younger key back via trade - I can think of several good reasons to consider Bryza for 2016 and not too many against it...

His form's been solid at worst, he brings a wealth of experience, is known to both club and coach, comes free of charge (trade wise), won't cost much (salary wise) and we clearly have a key back-six gap to fill.

Furthermore, look at the contributions Bev managed to coax out of our other veterans this year.

Why wouldn't we?

bulldogtragic
08-10-2015, 03:08 PM
How would online news feeds exist without WOOF providing them all the ideas??

Murphy'sLore
08-10-2015, 03:12 PM
IF it happened, would we have the oldest back line in the comp?

Bulldog4life
08-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Same article posted at same time, but B4L beat me so deleted.

Actually when I was posting I was thinking to myself "what if I'm too late" Got to be quick to beat you BAD.

Remi Moses
08-10-2015, 03:46 PM
It's futile picking up lake, as we're not challenging next season .

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2015, 03:59 PM

I reckon we might be.

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2015, 04:22 PM

I reckon we might be.

I certainly expect us to be a serious contender.

We should improve, while the premiers are more likely to decline.

Topdog
08-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Do comebacks like this ever work out well.

chef
08-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Tim Watson, but thats probably about it

1eyedog
08-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Wow. Ok.

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2015, 07:47 PM

But it's not really a comeback in the true sense of the word.
We just have to convince him to not retire.

It's not the same as dragging someone out of retirement.

LostDoggy
08-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Rookie list Bryza for 3 years ;)

What have we got to lose?

jeemak
08-10-2015, 08:21 PM
I think people forget how difficult things get at the pointy end of the season. Even though we couldn't put a fairly ordinary Adelaide to the sword in a home state final this year, we're thinking of ourselves as premiership contenders the following? It's a bit of a stretch for me.

The argument to take on Lake has some merit, if you think we're close enough to spot on across the ground to be carrying him in our defencive structure. But if you don't think we're close enough then I struggle to see how we improve by much in having him around for a year.

In my view we have more pressing issues to address across the ground, and with a likely decline in at least one or two of our existing ageing defenders imminent in the next year or two, we don't really want to be losing up to four players from our defensive six all at once - especially when the rest of our list is coming into its prime.

It's not likely we'll find the perfect key defender this trade period, just as it's not likely we'll find the perfect key defender in the following two trade periods. What we should be looking for is defenders who look competent and have scope for development over a number of years. This isn't what Lake would deliver to us.

Stefcep
08-10-2015, 08:22 PM
He DEFINATELY wanted to play on after this season. He implied it during the season as the Hawks would not discuss his future,a dn implied it after the Grand Final. It really is up to the Brains Trust at the Western Oval for here on.

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2015, 08:26 PM
I think people forget how difficult things get at the pointy end of the season. Even though we couldn't put a fairly ordinary Adelaide to the sword in a home state final this year, we're thinking of ourselves as premiership contenders the following? It's a bit of a stretch for me.

The argument to take on Lake has some merit, if you think we're close enough to spot on across the ground to be carrying him in our defencive structure. But if you don't think we're close enough then I struggle to see how we improve by much in having him around for a year.

In my view we have more pressing issues to address across the ground, and with a likely decline in at least one or two of our existing ageing defenders imminent in the next year or two, we don't really want to be losing up to four players from our defensive six all at once - especially when the rest of our list is coming into its prime.

It's not likely we'll find the perfect key defender this trade period, just as it's not likely we'll find the perfect key defender in the following two trade periods. What we should be looking for is defenders who look competent and have scope for development over a number of years. This isn't what Lake would deliver to us.We kicked ourselves out of that final (again). We should have won really. The other thing, is that things don't always happen in gentle curves. Often they happen in sudden and jagged spikes. I can easily picture us challenging next year.

1eyedog
08-10-2015, 08:27 PM

It's not likely we'll find the perfect key defender this trade period, just as it's not likely we'll find the perfect key defender in the following two trade periods. What we should be looking for is defenders who look competent and have scope for development over a number of years. This isn't what Lake would deliver to us.

We beat Adelaide in every way other than the scoreboard and that will go down in history. This time last year only 8 of us had us in the top 8 on a WOOF poll. If we can go to potential wooden spooners to clutching a loss out of the jaws of victory in an EF by jingos we can go a step better win a final next year. If you do that the world's your oyster for the following 3 weeks. Brian would come in pretty handy in an EF or a SF.

jeemak
08-10-2015, 08:48 PM
I'd be interested to know which of Port, Richmond, North, Adelaide, Sydney, Fremantle and Geelong we'll be comfortable in bettering next year on the basis of not being able to set a defencive structure or kick straight in a losing bottom of the eight elimination final.

Whilst the odd team can take a seismic step forward two years in a row, as we would have to do if we were to pin down a top four finish, it's more common for teams to get a taste just to find out how hard it is to break out of the 5-12 mark on the ladder.

If it's more likely for us to be in that batch and let's face it, it is, having Brian for a year and exposing ourselves to a raft of retirements in a short period of time in our defencive six seems like a silly outcome.

1eyedog
08-10-2015, 09:05 PM
I'd be interested to know which of Port, Richmond, North, Adelaide, Sydney, Fremantle and Geelong we'll be comfortable in bettering next year on the basis of not being able to set a defencive structure or kick straight in a losing bottom of the eight elimination final.

Whilst the odd team can take a seismic step forward two years in a row, as we would have to do if we were to pin down a top four finish, it's more common for teams to get a taste just to find out how hard it is to break out of the 5-12 mark on the ladder.

If it's more likely for us to be in that batch and let's face it, it is, having Brian for a year and exposing ourselves to a raft of retirements in a short period of time in our defencive six seems like a silly outcome.

Interesting that we beat five of the seven teams you've listed and lost to the minor premiers by a goal. Kicking straight in a losing EF is more than technique and our nerves will be better for the experience next time around.

I'm cautious in my expectations of a repeat of this year, but you have to expect some level of improvement from such a young list. As for our defensive structure breaking down that's likely a product of experimental coaching, which I don't mind, and who knows how much game day info the crows got on some of our key players. We still should have beat them. I'm not overly concerned about our pending retirements either, we have a raft of players who can play a number of positions and we're talking about the potential of Lake playing. None of our retirees are key position backs. If Talia goes and if Roughie does play ruck time there will be plenty of scope to play Roberts, Hamling and a Lake in the same team. I wouldn't expect Lake to play anywhere near a full season anyway.

Going in one key defender short all year puts pressure on Morris and Wood regardless of whether we play finals next year or not; however, I think most on here now would expect that we will play finals again.

jeemak
08-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Your points are well received.

I guess what I'm getting at is that incremental improvement may deliver only a similar or worse result in 2016. We could easily take a step to a preliminary final only to have our arses handed to us, or compete well equally. Or, we could do what Geelong did in the 2005-2007 period and experience a dip over that time.

All that aside, putting effort into recruiting and managing Brian Lake seems risky to me.

1eyedog
08-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Your points are well received.

I guess what I'm getting at is that incremental improvement may deliver only a similar or worse result in 2016. We could easily take a step to a preliminary final only to have our arses handed to us, or compete well equally. Or, we could do what Geelong did in the 2005-2007 period and experience a dip over that time.

All that aside, putting effort into recruiting and managing Brian Lake seems risky to me.

Yeah I see the risk. I'm not sure if it will work or not myself but I am quite concerned about our key back situation for next year. Some posters are calling for Redpath to go back and our hand may be forced with that at some stage if we don't trade for a decent one.

The key I think though is securing a ruck so Roughie can play back.

jeemak
08-10-2015, 10:06 PM
An additional ruck brought in will ease our need to have Roughy as our sole ruck. I wasn't convinced he and Campbell completed our ruck puzzle this year at the peak of their form, and Roughy for mine has shown his most consistent form as a defender.

I genuinely believe Redpath and Boyd will be able to play together once the latter matures, meaning we can play three second rucks (Roughead in defence) alongside a genuine ruck. If Redpath can take a turn in defence then it only increases our flexibility in this area.

boydogs
08-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Whilst the odd team can take a seismic step forward two years in a row, as we would have to do if we were to pin down a top four finish

We were still a chance of top 4 with one round to go. We're not far away at all. The top 8 was pretty even this year, Freo didn't make the GF from 1st and North knocked off Sydney from 8th and were in front of West Coast at half time in the prelim in Perth

We beat plenty of top 8 sides but suffered from a bit of young side inconsistency. A year older and a 2nd year under Beveridge I will be disappointed if we don't make top 4

jeemak
08-10-2015, 11:17 PM
We were still a chance of top 4 with one round to go. We're not far away at all. The top 8 was pretty even this year, Freo didn't make the GF from 1st and North knocked off Sydney from 8th and were in front of West Coast at half time in the prelim in Perth

We beat plenty of top 8 sides but suffered from a bit of young side inconsistency. A year older and a 2nd year under Beveridge I will be disappointed if we don't make top 4

In your opinion, particularly in the context of this thread, is throwing a year at Lake material in reaching your expectations for next year or achieving a longer term goal?

bornadog
08-10-2015, 11:25 PM
In your opinion, particularly in the context of this thread, is throwing a year at Lake material in reaching your expectations for next year or achieving a longer term goal?

I tend to agree that BL will not make the difference we need to get to the next level in 2016, however, if he can coach Roberts, Hamling, Cordy he could add some value there. Perhaps a non playing role, bit like Scarlett was doing part time.

jeemak
08-10-2015, 11:37 PM
I tend to agree that BL will not make the difference we need to get to the next level in 2016, however, if he can coach Roberts, Hamling, Cordy he could add some value there. Perhaps a non playing role, bit like Scarlett was doing art time.

Art classes with Briza? :)

Remi Moses
08-10-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm staggered some on here think we're close .
Did anyone see what Hawthorn did to the crows the following week?
We'd have potentially 4 players retire from the back 6 in one hit, if Brian was recruited!
Complete lunacy ! Coming in to teach roughy is futile, as he'd take his spot in the 18.
Lot of improvement still to come, and let's play the long game .
The clubs been building for a long sustained run at being a top side, and let's not take our eye of the ball

jeemak
08-10-2015, 11:41 PM
It's no fun if you edit it BAD!

bornadog
08-10-2015, 11:45 PM
It's no fun if you edit it BAD!

I just couldn't leave it. :)

jeemak
08-10-2015, 11:51 PM
I just couldn't leave it. :)

You haven't ever stuck me as the type to express OCD tendencies over the years mate................

bornadog
08-10-2015, 11:56 PM
You haven't ever stuck me as the type to express OCD tendencies over the years mate................
getting old

boydogs
09-10-2015, 12:10 AM

No, he performed in September but wasn't great during the year, if the Hawks don't want to hold onto him that should tell you something

It's not like a bottom side delisted him because he will be too old the next time they are in contention

hujsh
09-10-2015, 12:28 AM

Monty?

Scraggers
09-10-2015, 02:34 AM
This year, Lake was an average defender in a extremely good backline. He had enough coverage from Frawley or Gibson that he didn't have to do a lot. His finals series were his best games for the year. I would love him to come and play for Footscray and do some coaching of our seniors ... Please don't bring him back to clog the list. We have recruited so well in the last couple of years. Don't spoil it now. His experience will serve us well if he (part time) coached and played in the magoos !!

jeemak
09-10-2015, 02:47 AM
No, he performed in September but wasn't great during the year, if the Hawks don't want to hold onto him that should tell you something

It's not like a bottom side delisted him because he will be too old the next time they are in contention

Correct.

LostDoggy
09-10-2015, 09:08 AM
This year, Lake was an average defender in a extremely good backline. He had enough coverage from Frawley or Gibson that he didn't have to do a lot. His finals series were his best games for the year. I would love him to come and play for Footscray and do some coaching of our seniors ... Please don't bring him back to clog the list. We have recruited so well in the last couple of years. Don't spoil it now. His experience will serve us well if he (part time) coached and played in the magoos !!

As I see it, that's a rather uncharitable way of saying he played his role in a team/web defence, which is what he'd do with us as well. Aside from the occasional direct one on one with a lumbering gorilla who we have no other match up for. In lieu of another recruit, I think this would be adequate justification of pick 70 or 80, or whatever our last pick is, and $150-200k of our salary cap. Let alone the experience and knowledge he could offer Roberts, Hamling and the like, onfield and off.

I think a few thousand one on one marking contests with TBoyd and Redpath over the preseason would also be a value add.

I also like the idea of drinking/betting games designed around who of Lake and Wood can mark errant opposition kicks forward first and/or most. They'd be great competition for each other.

I would concede that getting both Lake and Suckling at the expense of youth may be overkill given our aging backline. Maybe our list has room for one or the other but not both?

The other big query is where Brian's head's at. I suspect he's lost all the baggage that was weighing him down in 2011-12, but that would be for our List Managers to assess. Given Bevo was Hawthorn defensive coach 2013-14, he'll have a fair clue. If our LM crew decide he's worth the modest risk, I'd be all for it.

1eyedog
09-10-2015, 09:50 AM

We don't have the coverage? Hamling / Roberts / Morris / Roughie?

soupman
09-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Let alone the experience and knowledge he could offer Roberts, Hamling and the like, onfield and off.

This is somewhat cancelled out by the fact that he would be keeping those guys in the reserves thus slowing their development. The sooner we get 50 games into these guys the sooner they start paying it back.

Sacrificing 10-15 games worth of development (Lake won't play a full year) plus finals experience is not beneficial to us in the long run.

And as good as we were this year we are not in "topping up for a premiership" mode yet. We had a year where we exceeded expectations but still got knocked out in the first final and opposition clubs now have a whole pre-season to counter our gameplan. I think aiming to consolidate by playing finals again and winning one is a realistic goal.

I know Lake is cheap but so is a new draftee (even if they are only a 50/50 shot at making it Lake is a 1 year proposition that is likely to be underhwleming for most of the season). I also don't like the idea of Murphy, Boyd, Morris and lake all retiring at a similiar time with their replacements being guys like Roberts who've just spent a season in the reserves stuck behind Lake.

LostDoggy
09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
The argument that Lake would be holding out a younger player is fair enough, I often take this point of view with regard to the potential recruiting of an aging player, but I would argue that Lake does offer specific skills that other players on our list just can't offer.

That is, an ability to match up against the one on one gorillas, such as Cloke, Tippett, Hawkins etc, thereby freeing up Hamling, Roberts to more suitable tasks when we meet teams with such a player.

Assigning a developing player tasks for which they are not equipped can do as much harm as good.

I agree Lake probably only has 10-15 games in him next year, maybe less, but until we can identify a serious 100kg KPD, that would make him a reasonable return on value investment in my opinion given the minimal capital required, especially given the potential intangibles he offers.

Rocket Science
09-10-2015, 10:29 AM

And a spring-heeled Wood coming over the top as well.

As I see it, that's a rather uncharitable way of saying he played his role in a team/web defence, which is what he'd do with us as well. Aside from the occasional direct one on one with a lumbering gorilla who we have no other match up for.

Agreed.

Purely a short term fix while Roberts/Hamling/Cordy continue to learn their craft but Bryza actually offers something we don't presently have and too often get caught out trying to compensate for.

He helps mitigate mediocre big blokes getting hold of us from time to time purely because we don't have a suitable match up, which can end up skewing the rest of our defensive structures too.

Besides, adding Lake isn't tantamount to declaring we're flag certainties. It's a low-risk move, with potential medium-high reward.

I'm reminded of a saying about carts and horses, but for those poo-pooing our September ambitions in 2016, who'd realistically tell Bevo he's dreamin'?

Not me.

1eyedog
09-10-2015, 10:39 AM
We lose Talia who was alternating with Roberts throughout the year anyway. If Roberts or Roughie get injured we're back to playing very short in defence. Lake won't play a full year, perhaps 12-15 games and Hamling and Roberts will need a rest too. Roberts will still get a dozen games under his belt even if Lake plays next year.

It's a glass half full scenario. Sure he's a risk, but he's also potentially a risk management strategy.

Topdog
09-10-2015, 02:08 PM
nvm.

bornadog
09-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Speaking at luncheon today

ALASTAIR Clarkson says the fact Hawthorn pair Brian Lake and David Hale had shown signs their bodies were breaking down throughout the season led to the decisions for them to retire this week. The testing is done to assess the players' "medical and physical condition", with the Hawks needing to manage six players over 30 this season.

But Clarkson said they generally ignored a player's "birth certificate", and would continue to do so when it came to their other veterans.

Rocket Science
11-10-2015, 11:20 PM
For the masochists among you, Bryza's 2015 Hawthorn B&F speech (http://woo-cdn220-is-2.se.bponlinewoc2264.ngcdn.telstra.com/platform_release/Sifo/1/2015-10/797298/HAW_LAKE_S_-1024-942213423.mp4)...

AndrewP6
11-10-2015, 11:23 PM
For the masochists among you, Bryza's 2015 Hawthorn B&F speech (http://woo-cdn220-is-2.se.bponlinewoc2264.ngcdn.telstra.com/platform_release/Sifo/1/2015-10/797298/HAW_LAKE_S_-1024-942213423.mp4)...

Saw that earlier....Brian's speech sponsored by Crown Lager.

Twodogs
11-10-2015, 11:47 PM
What did he say?

For the lazy masochists amongst us.

BulldogBelle
11-10-2015, 11:57 PM
Saw that earlier....Brian's speech sponsored by Crown Lager.

Thought he was very funny and self depreciative and spoke quite well.

Doc26
12-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Thought he was very funny and self depreciative and spoke quite well.

Not so much this bit.

He also blamed his son Cohen for making him drive the Gatorade car after the Grand Final.

“Unfortunately, he won’t make Hawthorn father and son but he’ll make Bulldogs father and son, but hopefully we can trade him anyway.”

Twodogs
12-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Not so much this bit.

Always know your audience.

If it was a bulldogs function then Cohen wouldn't have been going anywhere.

SonofScray
12-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Not so much this bit.

Agree. I understand it was for a HFC audience, but I didn't like that at all. Perhaps if his son ends up coming here he will get the same sort of opportunities we provided his dad and propel him from relative obscurity and a life separating sheep testicles from its dead carcass to a high profile, high paying job playing a sport thousands do for free every weekend.

bornadog
12-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Agree. I understand it was for a HFC audience, but I didn't like that at all. Perhaps if his son ends up coming here he will get the same sort of opportunities we provided his dad and propel him from relative obscurity and a life separating sheep testicles from its dead carcass to a high profile, high paying job playing a sport thousands do for free every weekend.

I agree, he should never had said that.

LostDoggy
16-10-2015, 07:57 AM

North kept themselves out of contention all year playing honourable losses, Adelaide lost their coach, Port were far short of expectations, Geelong are looking dangerous again. Thinking we'll be the only team to markedly improve next year is beyond optimism.

That said, what are our flag odds anyway? :D

Morris is the only player in that group who could stand next to Gibson, at present.

Axe Man
21-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Close the thread - we have lost out in the quest for Brian's signature to the Caroline Springs Lakers!

http://s1.postimg.org/40engi1db/iih_D3rh_Fdt_Vh_EF4_K.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

bornadog
24-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Lake coming out with some controversial statements:

* Says he was pushed out at Hawks - True

* Says Hawks policy is to retire two vets each year and he and Hale were the first. - Hawks denying.

Greystache
24-03-2016, 04:17 PM

* Says Hawks policy is to retire two vets each year and he and Hale were the first. - Hawks denying.

* Also said was offered a spot as a top up at Essendon but said no because playing it would put a stain on his reputation- True!

1eyedog
24-03-2016, 04:19 PM

Why is it controversial? If that's what they need to do to be better then the club is bigger than two players. Lake and Hale should be happy they had an opportunity to win some gold before they retired. So long and thanks for all the fish I would say.

bornadog
24-03-2016, 04:31 PM
* Also said was offered a spot as a top up at Essendon but said no because playing there would put a stain on his reputation- True!

Meant to put that in as well. Thank you

Why is it controversial? If that's what they need to do to be better then the club is bigger than two players. Lake and Hale should be happy they had an opportunity to win some gold before they retired. So long and thanks for all the fish I would say.

I think he shouldn't say anything and be grateful he got to play in three Grand finals.

Maddog37
24-03-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm glad he is not just another ex player regurgitating the same old crap like the rest of them personally. We need more flair in our media.

Mofra
24-03-2016, 04:51 PM
I think he shouldn't say anything and be grateful he got to play in three Grand finals.
I'm sick of players having to be so sanitized. I'd glad some still open up a little to the media

azabob
24-03-2016, 05:06 PM
* Also said was offered a spot as a top up at Essendon but said no because playing it would put a stain on his reputation- True!

He actually said that he didn't take up the offer because last time he played without a pre-season didn't work out so well for him.

He hadn't been training at all for two months, so he was well and truely out of shape and probably wouldn't be ready to play until round 9 or 10.

Mark Stevens through in the comment about the stain on the career and he kind of agreed without thinking it through too much.

hujsh
24-03-2016, 05:47 PM
So it could be interpreted as his performance potentially being a stain on his career

Twodogs
24-03-2016, 05:53 PM
So it could be interpreted as his performance potentially being a stain on his career

More playing for Essendon would be a stain on his reputation I took as the unsaid bit.

1eyedog
24-03-2016, 05:57 PM
More playing for Essendon would be a stain on his reputation I took as the unsaid bit.

Poor Coons really landed on his knees there.

Twodogs
24-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Poor Coons really landed on his knees there.

On a lovely soft floor though.