PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 7 vs Fremantle

Eastdog
08-05-2015, 11:43 AM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 7 game against Fremantle at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
09-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
09-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Out: Smith, Stevens (injured), Hunter
In: Wallis, Grant, Dale

bornadog
09-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Out: Smith, Stevens (injured), Hunter
In: Wallis, Grant, Dale
I think MBoyd will play as well

GVGjr
09-05-2015, 06:16 PM

Yep, we missed him today. Biggs might be in the mix

bulldogtragic
09-05-2015, 06:17 PM

Oh, mBoyd for Dale.

G-Mo77
09-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Heard Cordy will likely be rested next week. Shame really after playing probably his best game with us.

comrade
09-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Crying out for Wallis and Boyd.

Is Jong a sneaky chance. Missed his intensity around the ball.

Mantis
09-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Wallis is only 50/50.. Heard him talking to a fan today.

G-Mo77
09-05-2015, 06:30 PM

They said 1 - 2 so you never know.

Mantis
09-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Webb needs a spell too.. He was out of petrol today.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Out: Smith injured. Roberts not a good day and maybe no match up against Freo.
Webb llooked a bit sloppy today might need a rest.
In: M.Boyd & Hamling and Biggs.

The Underdog
09-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Webb needs a spell too.. He was out of petrol today.

Agree. Was noticeably down on his first 3 games.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Out: Smith, Stevens, Hunter, Cordy, Roberts, Webb
In: Jong, M. Boyd, Biggs, Minson, Hamling, Dale

- It's a fair few changes and unlikely to happen, but this is what I'd do. Smith/Stevens due to injury, Hunter/Roberts due to form, Webb/Cordy rested.

- If Wallis is right, he takes Dale's spot.

kruder
09-05-2015, 07:20 PM

Jong was in a sling at the game

GVGjr
09-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Outs, Smith, Webb, Roberts and Hunter
In's, M.Boyd, Biggs, Hamling and Grant

The logic,
Grant comes in as a replacement for the unlucky Clay Smith.
Biggs slots into half back spot for Webb who could probably do with a quick break.
Hamling for Roberts is just to add some athleticism that we lacked today.
Boyd in for Hunter who was disappointing. I'd look for Boyd to spend some more time in the middle.

bornadog
09-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Outs, Smith, Webb, Roberts and Hunter
In's, M.Boyd, Biggs, Hamling and Grant

The logic,
Grant comes in as a replacement for the unlucky Clay Smith.
Biggs slots into half back spot for Webb who could probably do with a quick break.
Hamling for Roberts is just to add some athleticism that we lacked today.
Boyd in for Hunter who was disappointing. I'd look for Boyd to spend some more time in the middle.

I tend to agree. MBoyd may be needed in the centre.

Jong said on Friday on 774 that he would be out for at least two.

LostDoggy
09-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Koby could barely walk along the boundary after around half time and Stringer injured his groin and was walking with a limp.

GVGjr
09-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Koby could barely walk along the boundary after around half time and Stringer injured his groin and was walking with a limp.

Stringer fades in most games so we will have to wait and see. Stevens is resilient so I hope he comes up. It would be hard to replace them but Redpath is one option for Stringer and maybe Hunter stays in Stevens doesn't make it.

LostDoggy
09-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Minson , Redpath , Hamling , Wallis , Biggs and Dale will all be put up the board for consideration , will have to wait and see the final toll with injuries

F'scary
09-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Out: Smith, Stevens, Hunter, Cordy, Roberts, Webb
In: Jong, M. Boyd, Biggs, Minson, Hamling, Dale

- It's a fair few changes and unlikely to happen, but this is what I'd do. Smith/Stevens due to injury, Hunter/Roberts due to form, Webb/Cordy rested.
- If Wallis is right, he takes Dale's spot.

You are right on the correct selection path TBB. Out: Webb needs to be rested, shouldn't have played today. Stevens (injured), Smith (injured), Cordy had his best game, yes, but we were still smashed in the ruck and Roughead was spending too much time covering for Ayce's lack of stamina - we have to play our best and most proven ruckman, Will Minson. Hunter goes out unless there is a permanent forward role for him next week. Macrae, Dahlhaus, Stringer, Hrovat, Honeychurch and Crameri all went missing in the second half and I think if any of them has soreness issues for next week they have to be rested. On form alone, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Roberts and Crameri could well do with some time in the twos. If there is so much pressure for a spot in the team, today's result should bring about more than just mandatory changes for Smith and Stevens, both injured.

In: Minson, Matt Boyd, Hamling, Redpath, Biggs, Wallis (presuming he is available), Jong (if available). If Wallis or Jong are not available, I would be looking to Grant.

Basically, there should be around 6 to 7 changes for next week's match. Players who were too sore to run out this week in the second half won't have recovered enough by next week after today. Players who had poor games and players who have been carried the past few weeks should be dropped.

G-Mo77
09-05-2015, 08:50 PM

Yeah noticed Stringer limping in the 4th, thought there must have been something wrong. Stevens would have found it hard, that corky would have ripened nicely during the break at half time.

Remi Moses
09-05-2015, 09:25 PM
In Biggs Dale Hamling Wallis( if fit) Jong ( if fit) Boyd Minson( has to come in for Sandi, Ayce may get eaten)
Out Clay, Roberts, Stephens , Ayce ,Webb( needs a spell)

Remi Moses
09-05-2015, 09:26 PM
I tend to agree. MBoyd may be needed in the centre.

Jong said on Friday on 774 that he would be out for at least two.

I don't reckon they'll play him there.
May need to

Go_Dogs
09-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Out: Smith, Stevens, Webb

In: Wallis, Boyd, Biggs

Smith and Stevens injured and sore respectively, Webb to be rested.

Wallis and Boyd fill the gap around the ball and down back, Biggs in to be a running player.

BulldogBelle
10-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Wallis is only 50/50.. Heard him talking to a fan today.

l heard thru a close (very) family member of his that he is right to go.

Pickenitup
10-05-2015, 10:18 AM
In Wallis MBoyd Jong Minson Hamling
Out Smith (Inj)Stevens (Inj) Hunter Roberts Goodes

merantau
10-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Don't know about changes except there is no way known I'd be leaving Cordy out. If we are ever to know whether he is going to make it, or not, he needs to stack a few games together. It makes no sense to rest him after his best game for us. Cordy at least has the height to match Sandilands and, with a bit of confidence under his belt, now is his time. to go for it, jump all over him and make a name for himself for all the right reasons. Leave him out of the side now and we're still no closer to answering the question: Is this guy a league footballer?

Go_Dogs
10-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Out: Smith, Stevens, Webb

In: Wallis, Boyd, Biggs

I'm going to add a couple more changes.

Out: Macrae, Roberts

In: Dale, Hamling

The Pie Man
10-05-2015, 12:15 PM
In: Wallis, M.Boyd, Biggs, Redpath, Hamling, Grant (if Stringer inj)
Out: Smith, Stevens, Webb, T. Boyd, Roberts, Stringer (if inj)

Tom Boyd looks like he needs a spell. Could only half heartedly commit to outnumber a contest leaving his man free for an easy out. Would keep him in if they're confident he can run it out, but I'm certainly not.

Webb also just a rest, he looks best 22.

Time to see what Hamling can offer.

Would also consider Dale for Hrovat

G-Mo77
10-05-2015, 12:20 PM
I don't think we'll do huge changes this week although with a few injuries our hand may be forced that way.

Ins: Wallis/Biggs, Boyd
Outs: Smith, Webb

Stevens I think will be good to go if not I'd give Biggs his shot. If Wallis is not right then Biggs to come in.

I did hear Cordy will be rested this week. If so Will comes in for him.

Fingers crossed with Stringer tough to replace him.

Bulldog4life
10-05-2015, 12:21 PM
In: Wallis, M.Boyd, Biggs, Redpath, Hamling, Grant (if Stringer inj)
Out: Smith, Stevens, Webb, T. Boyd, Roberts, Stringer (if inj)

Tom Boyd looks like he needs a spell. Could only half heartedly commit to outnumber a contest leaving his man free for an easy out. Would keep him in if they're confident he can run it out, but I'm certainly not.

Webb also just a rest, he looks best 22.

Time to see what Hamling can offer.

Would also consider Dale for Hrovat

Could be right there it was Tom's worst game for us. Started positively but I think those misses affected his confidence.

LostDoggy
10-05-2015, 12:23 PM
I hope Stringer is good to go, he was looking sore and tired

G-Mo77
10-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Would Prudden be a chance at getting his first game? Was an emergency a while ago so he's been close. Thoughts?

Before I Die
10-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Grant, Minson and Dale were the emergencies on the weekend. I often wonder what significance this has.

Out: Smith plus any other injured. Goodes and/or Hunter if the two mentioned below are fit and injuries haven't already created space.

In: M Boyd plus Wallis and Jong if fit. Grant and/or Dale if needed.

No other changes unless Bevo has a match-up plan.

LostDoggy
10-05-2015, 08:06 PM
One option is bring in Minson and Campbell for Cordy , use Campbell at HF and rotate Minson, Campbell and either T.Boyd or Roughhead through the ruck

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Would Prudden be a chance at getting his first game? Was an emergency a while ago so he's been close. Thoughts?

Might be a sneaky chance if both Wallis and Jong don't come up, because we'll need some bigger bodied mids to counter Fremantle, but he'd be a very outside chance I would have thought. Besides that one good VFL game v Collingwood a couple of years ago, Prudden hasn't done a lot even when he has been on the field just yet.

Go_Dogs
10-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Might be a sneaky chance if both Wallis and Jong don't come up, because we'll need some bigger bodied mids to counter Fremantle, but he'd be a very outside chance I would have thought. Besides that one good VFL game v Collingwood a couple of years ago, Prudden hasn't done a lot even when he has been on the field just yet.

His best chance would seem to be in the back half (based on VFL), so whilst Webb might be rested this week, we have Boyd and Biggs who are seemingly in front of him for spots there.

Ozza
10-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Surprised at the amount of calls for Roberts to go out.
If it is due to match ups (Freo being not overly tall up forward) then fair enough - but I thought he did a reasonable job on Bruce.
Bruce came in with red hot form and is one of the best athletes (runners) at St.Kilda, thought Fletcher kept him under control most of the day.

G-Mo77
10-05-2015, 11:21 PM
If it is due to match ups (Freo being not overly tall up forward) then fair enough - but I thought he did a reasonable job on Bruce.
Bruce came in with red hot form and is one of the best athletes (runners) at St.Kilda, thought Fletcher kept him under control most of the day.

Agree but depends on matchups. Could we swing him forward? I did seem him go forward in the 4th. It was so hectic I really can't remember for how long.

boydogs
10-05-2015, 11:26 PM

Bruce has had a ripping start to the year, probably a bit of a no-name to most supporters but he has been piling on the goals. I like that we can bring Fletcher in to do a job when needed and he doesn't miss a beat. An upgrade on Austin/Markovic who were great stoppers at VFL level

Ozza
10-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Bruce has had a ripping start to the year, probably a bit of a no-name to most supporters but he has been piling on the goals. I like that we can bring Fletcher in to do a job when needed and he doesn't miss a beat. An upgrade on Austin/Markovic who were great stoppers at VFL level

And only his 8th senior game. He is coming along ok, heaps of upside. Would be great to get 12-14 games into him this year.

comrade
11-05-2015, 12:34 AM
And only his 8th senior game. He is coming along ok, heaps of upside. Would be great to get 12-14 games into him this year.

He's a player you just need to pump games into. He may get dropped this week for match ups but IMO, he's versatile enough that we can find one for him.

Go_Dogs
11-05-2015, 07:52 AM
He's a player you just need to pump games into. He may get dropped this week for match ups but IMO, he's versatile enough that we can find one for him.

Hamling was my choice due to match ups, but perhaps it's a good week to see how versatile Fletch can be.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Four big changes although I don't think we'll get four, perhaps three.

OUTS: Smith, Goodes, Cordy, Webb

Smith obviously, depth player Goodes back to the VFL for Boyd and Cordy and Webb to have a spell.

INS: M Boyd, Wallis, Campbell, Biggs

We desperately missed Boyd and Wallis on Saturday. I would play Campbell against Sandilands and leave him in for a few weeks to afford him the same opportunity afforded to Ayce. Likewise Webb for Biggs. I thought Webb was running on the spot a bit on Saturday.

This is of course assuming Stevens gets over his glute. If Stevens does not come up then Grant in for Stevens.

Hunter as the sub. You can't just bring him as sub, play him out of position (granted that we needed to) and then drop him.

G-Mo77
11-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Hunter as the sub.

I thought he was poor but I'm leaving him in my side as well. I'd start him on the ground this time though. I'm not one for In and Out of the side. He was tearing up the VFL for a few weeks so I'd give him at least another week with more playing time.

I think he's earned it.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 02:00 PM
I thought he was poor but I'm leaving him in my side as well. I'd start him on the ground this time though. I'm not one for In and Out of the side. He was tearing up the VFL for a few weeks so I'd give him at least another week with more playing time.

I think he's earned it.

I'm not adverse to have him starting. I think he'll be a very good player but he need to play forward. Who's the sub Hrovat or Honey?

G-Mo77
11-05-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm not adverse to have him starting. I think he'll be a very good player but he need to play forward. Who's the sub Hrovat or Honey?

Probably Hrovat. I guess it all depends on who is healthy. If guys like Stringer, Stevens or both are missing it could change things. Fingers crossed they're both out there Sunday.

always right
11-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Worried about Stringer who was clutching his groin throughout the last quarter. Hope it was just general soreness but won't be surprised if he is rested.

soupman
11-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Smith for Boyd for obvious reasons.
If Wallis is fit, then he has to come in. If Stevens is injured then that's the swap there, if not then Webb gets a rest after a very impressive first few games. If neither Stevens nor Wallis are fit then Prudden comes in as the one remaining fit inside mid type we have on the list.
If Webb is being rested then Biggs takes his spot.
If Cordy is rested then Campbell takes his spot.
If Stringer isn't right then Redpath takes his spot.

So basically:
Outs...................Ins
Smith.....................Boyd
Stevens (if inj).........Wallis (if inj Prudden)
Webb (rest).............Biggs
Cordy (if rested).......Campbell
Stringer (if inj)..........Redpath

always right
11-05-2015, 02:53 PM
If Wallis is fit, then he has to come in. If Stevens is injured then that's the swap there, if not then Webb gets a rest after a very impressive first few games. If neither Stevens nor Wallis are fit then Prudden comes in as the one remaining fit inside mid type we have on the list.

So basically:

Do you think the MC will bring Campbell in ahead of Minson?

soupman
11-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Do you think the MC will bring Campbell in ahead of Minson?
No idea tbh but I wouldn't have thought they'd persist with Cordy for 5 games instead of either alternative and with very little output from him.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 03:01 PM

So basically:

What about if Stevens is right to go? Wallis for Goodes?

soupman
11-05-2015, 03:13 PM
What about if Stevens is right to go? Wallis for Goodes?
For Webb

bornadog
11-05-2015, 03:17 PM
My gut feel is Wallis will play this week, and we know Boyd will (according to a press conference last week).

Who else has played well and deserves a game? Dale, Biggs, and Grant as well as Minson played well in the last VFL game.

Outs:, will depend alot on injuries and of course one certain out is Smith. Stevens looked extremely sore and I can't see him playing.

Where does that leave us? I will wait till the injury news tonight.

josie
11-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Much as I like Roberts I do think he is bit slowish. If Freo forwards are quick would love to see Hamling get a go.

Would also like to see Roberts and /or Hamling get a go in forward line sometime - no doubt the MC will experiment at appropriate times so we groom some players who can swing forward or back.

Agree with likely need to rest Webb & perhaps give Biggs a go (Darley just back from injury I recall).

I'm not sure MC should keep Hunter in - although dropping players after 1 game is not good, not playing the team mantra is not good either.

Macrae has not been his normal self either in last 2possibly 3 weeks. Possibly needs a rest. Perhaps give Dale a go?

MBoyd auto in for dreadfully unlucky Clay.

Wallis and Jong look like they are a week or two away. If they were available I'd swap them for say Hunter and Hrovat or Hunter and Honeychurch. Out of the three H's I've admired Honeychurch the most. Here's hoping the other 2 H's become consistently good soon. Yes I know Hrovat did ok in last manic 15 mins vs Sydney however I'm not convinced he is best 22 yet even with injury list and Hunter even less so. I think I have become spoilt with young players debuts and expect too much after Bonti/Stringer/Macrae when on song !!

Also think we should not chance Stringer and Stevens if there is any doubt so if they are then bring in Redpath and/or Grant.

At risk of being shot down I liked the game of Kelly as inside mid player in last VFL match played at WO - thought he looked quite composed and has a good build, however understand he is now injured and slowish and therefore probably no better bet than Goodes. Although Goodes definitely subscribes to team mantra I recall 3 or so really crucial turnovers - mostly in Q4 against Saints and would really prefer another inside midfielder gets a go (if we have any left to choose from !!).

jazzadogs
11-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Four big changes although I don't think we'll get four, perhaps three.

OUTS: Smith, Goodes, Cordy, Webb

Smith obviously, depth player Goodes back to the VFL for Boyd and Cordy and Webb to have a spell.

INS: M Boyd, Wallis, Campbell, Biggs

We desperately missed Boyd and Wallis on Saturday. I would play Campbell against Sandilands and leave him in for a few weeks to afford him the same opportunity afforded to Ayce. Likewise Webb for Biggs. I thought Webb was running on the spot a bit on Saturday.

This is of course assuming Stevens gets over his glute. If Stevens does not come up then Grant in for Stevens.

Hunter as the sub. You can't just bring him as sub, play him out of position (granted that we needed to) and then drop him.

If Stevens doesn't come up, then Goodes stays and it's a Stevens for Boyd swap imo. Agree with your other three changes though, assuming that Cordy is sore. If he's feeling alright and trains well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay in.

JohnGentStand
12-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Outs:
Cordy, Smith, Stevens, Webb

Ins,
Minson, Boyd, Jong, Wallis

If either or both the latter are unavailable then Grant & Dale

Thought Goodes showed enough to stay in.
Cordy, while better, is still a liability. He cannot hold his position when pressured body to body.
Minson gives us more.

Many others looked sore - hoping for a light week for Stringer.

Mantis
12-05-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm hoping we make 4 to 6 changes this week and give a few of the young and sore players a rest.

We are a very slim chance to beat Freo with our injury list and their current form, but we have 2 very winnable games soon after so I hope we take a long term view with our team selection this week.

LostDoggy
12-05-2015, 10:24 PM
B: .......... M.Boyd.......Roughhead.......Wood
HB: ........ Talia.............Murphy........Roberts
C: ...........Dickson........Picken...........Biggs
HF : ....Honeychurch....Campbell........Hrovat
F: .......... Dahlhaus.......T.Boyd.........Crameri
Foll : ...... Minson..........Wallis.........Bontempelli
Bench: ... Webb...Johannisen...Macrae
Sub : ....Hunter
In : Wallis..Boyd..Biggs ..Campbell..Minson
Out : Smith ( ACL ) Stevens ( Cork ) Stringer ( rested ) Goodes Cordy

Happy to leave Roberts in again , Hamling will get his chance soon , Wallis back in the engine room , M.Boyd back in so JJ goes to the bench , Biggs on the wing so Macrae goes to the bench , Minson and Campbell in for Cordy so we can rotate the two of them and Campbell can start at HF , Goodes was cover for M.Boyd and did what was required of him but drops out , Stringer can have a rest , Cordy has done what the Coach required of him but having two competing ruckmen against Fremantle is a stronger matchup

always right
13-05-2015, 09:44 AM
B: .......... M.Boyd.......Roughhead.......Wood
HB: ........ Talia.............Murphy........Roberts
C: ...........Dickson........Picken...........Biggs
HF : ....Honeychurch....Campbell........Hrovat
F: .......... Dahlhaus.......T.Boyd.........Crameri
Foll : ...... Minson..........Wallis.........Bontempelli
Bench: ... Webb...Johannisen...Macrae
Sub : ....Hunter
In : Wallis..Boyd..Biggs ..Campbell..Minson
Out : Smith ( ACL ) Stevens ( Cork ) Stringer ( rested ) Goodes Cordy

Happy to leave Roberts in again , Hamling will get his chance soon , Wallis back in the engine room , M.Boyd back in so JJ goes to the bench , Biggs on the wing so Macrae goes to the bench , Minson and Campbell in for Cordy so we can rotate the two of them and Campbell can start at HF , Goodes was cover for M.Boyd and did what was required of him but drops out , Stringer can have a rest , Cordy has done what the Coach required of him but having two competing ruckmen against Fremantle is a stronger matchup

Does "going to the bench" have any meaning nowadays?

Axe Man
13-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Looking at the Freo team last week they seem to play a quite tall forward line with 2 dangerous smalls in Ballantyne and Walters at their feet. How do we see the matchups? I'm thinking something like this:

Taberner (198) v Roberts
Pavlich (192) v Talia
Clarke (203) / Sandilands (211) v Roughead
Mayne (188) v Wood
Walters & Ballantyne v Murphy/JJ/Webb/Biggs.

Might be tough to find a suitable matchup for MBoyd at half back this week - Freos forwards are either too tall or too quick.

Greystache
13-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Last weeks second half and potentially this week again highlights our need for a genuine lockdown small defender who can play on the fast and elusive opposition small forwards. It's been a gap for a number of years.

LostDoggy
13-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Looking at the Freo team last week they seem to play a quite tall forward line with 2 dangerous smalls in Ballantyne and Walters at their feet. How do we see the matchups? I'm thinking something like this:

Taberner (198) v Roberts
Pavlich (192) v Talia
Clarke (203) / Sandilands (211) v Roughead
Mayne (188) v Wood
Walters & Ballantyne v Murphy/JJ/Webb/Biggs.

Might be tough to find a suitable matchup for MBoyd at half back this week - Freos forwards are either too tall or too quick.

Might need Boyd in the middle anyway.

Axe Man
13-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Might need Boyd in the middle anyway.

I was thinking the same, especially with the plethora of big bodied midfielders Freo has. It's just a shame to move Boyd from where he has been so effective.

LostDoggy
13-05-2015, 01:51 PM
I was thinking the same, especially with the plethora of big bodied midfielders Freo has. It's just a shame to move Boyd from where he has been so effective.

Yea it is. But thinking a bit of both might have it's upside at least until Wallis comes back anyway.

LostDoggy
13-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Hopefully Fremantle don't get McPharlan and Dawson back this week. Both will train tomorrow and will play pending how they pull up.

McPharlan v Boyd would be an awful match-up for us.

Them both being out also makes Michael Johnson play tall and more accountable. With the only other tall being 2nd gamer Alex Pearce.

Ibbotson and Duffield are made to play taller and Stringer/Crameri could really benefit from this.

Scorlibo
13-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Last weeks second half and potentially this week again highlights our need for a genuine lockdown small defender who can play on the fast and elusive opposition small forwards. It's been a gap for a number of years.

Bob has been one the better small defenders (defensively) for a couple of years. Seems like Biggs fits that role quite well at this early stage.

Axe Man
13-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Hopefully Fremantle don't get McPharlan and Dawson back this week. Both will train tomorrow and will play pending how they pull up.

McPharlan v Boyd would be an awful match-up for us.

Them both being out also makes Michael Johnson play tall and more accountable. With the only other tall being 2nd gamer Alex Pearce.

Ibbotson and Duffield are made to play taller and Stringer/Crameri could really benefit from this.

Dawson wont play:

Key defender Zac Dawson trained on Wednesday and appears set to return for his first game of the season in the WAFL on Saturday. Lyon confirmed Dawson would have to return via Peel Thunder given he has not played at all this season due to ongoing groin issues throughout the summer.

You are right on McPharlan though, he would be a very tough proposition for Boyd. Hopefully they decide not to risk him.

Greystache
13-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Bob has been one the better small defenders (defensively) for a couple of years. Seems like Biggs fits that role quite well at this early stage.

Murphy has been poor when forced to play lock down roles and was a source of complaint about McCartney's lack of coaching ability by playing them there. Picken took over last year, and while better, wasn't great at it.

Biggs hasn't played a game, and in the VFL and practice matches he's played a high rebounding defender role. His defensive skills at this stage at best could be described as adequate.

1eyedog
13-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Our go to man for this role is currently sitting out for another 6 weeks with a pec.

westbulldog
13-05-2015, 04:35 PM
We need to lockdown Michael Johnson, he sets up their attacks from the backline in the same way that David Wirrapunda did for the Eagles.

1eyedog
13-05-2015, 04:37 PM
We need to lockdown Michael Johnson, he sets up their attacks from the backline in the same way that David Wirrapunda did for the Eagles.

Will he be forced to play more accountable if McPharlin and Dawson don't play?

Maddog37
13-05-2015, 07:00 PM

I would like to see Honey get a shot at that position.

comrade
13-05-2015, 07:16 PM

Not a bad idea.

FWIW, I thought Clay might have also been a candidate for that role down the track :(

LostDoggy
13-05-2015, 10:04 PM
The Membership dept has been busy , over 900 new Members over the last week or so
I really hope we get a great crowd on Sunday because this ones for Clay

This is the Fremantle - Wednesday Training Report
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-05-13/training-report-wednesday-13-may

jeemak
13-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Not a bad idea.

FWIW, I thought Clay might have also been a candidate for that role down the track :(

Not sure about that, I think Clay is an extremely offensive player that hasn't really ever had to do it (that I've I've seen, of course!).

Scorlibo
13-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Murphy has been poor when forced to play lock down roles and was a source of complaint about McCartney's lack of coaching ability by playing them there. Picken took over last year, and while better, wasn't great at it.

Biggs hasn't played a game, and in the VFL and practice matches he's played a high rebounding defender role. His defensive skills at this stage at best could be described as adequate.

Murphy last year was statistically ranked 8th in the AFL among general defenders for reducing his opponent's overall output. Who was complaining? They were wrong.

I'm very aware that Biggs hasn't played an AFL game for us. His defensive skills are good, and if he wants a spot in the senior side, the role you're describing is the one he has to nail.

soupman
14-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Not sure about that, I think Clay is an extremely offensive player that hasn't really ever had to do it (that I've I've seen, of course!).

In the month or so leading up to his first kneeinjury Smith was playing as a lockdown forward/mid who would get the ball going the other way. In the match he did it he had largely curbed Heppel's influence on the game while being fairly damaging himself. When he went off injured Heppel finally got off the leash and had a big impact in the last quarter to help steer the Bombers to victory. Smith was finally emerging as a player who could perform a really good lock down role and still get the ball, such a shame.

1eyedog
14-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Stephen Hill simply cannot be left to run where he wants. If he is we are roasted. Can anyone or any structural set up limit his outside run or is it a case of winning contested ball to limit his supply?

The Underdog
14-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Stephen Hill simply cannot be left to run where he wants. If he is we are roasted. Can anyone or any structural set up limit his outside run or is it a case of winning contested ball to limit his supply?

I would have thought Jong was the one player who athletically can match Hill, but I'd be surprised if he's ready. I think we missed him last week and he's become a pretty unique player on our list

1eyedog
14-05-2015, 09:57 AM
I would have thought Jong was the one player who athletically can match Hill, but I'd be surprised if he's ready. I think we missed him last week and he's become a pretty unique player on our list

Athletically yes but my understanding is that he plays in bursts whereas Hill keeps running hard all match, I may well be wrong on this. How is Jong's tank coming along?

I'm not sure we have anyone to mind Hill. Agreed we really missed Jong last week, fingers crossed on him being listed tonight.

Greystache
14-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Murphy last year was statistically ranked 8th in the AFL among general defenders for reducing his opponent's overall output. Who was complaining? They were wrong.

I'm very aware that Biggs hasn't played an AFL game for us. His defensive skills are good, and if he wants a spot in the senior side, the role you're describing is the one he has to nail.

That's all totally irrelevant.

Murphy hasn't played on a dangerous small forward in 3 years, and when he did he wasn't very good at it. Biggs doesn't and won't either. What either of they have to do with our lack of a lock down small defender is anyone's guess.

Billings kicked 4 last week, Betts 4 two weeks earlier, and we don't have an obvious match up for either of Ballantyne or Walters this week. JJ has been getting the jobs and isn't really suited to it, Wood is back up and isn't ideal either, and Morris is our best option who's injured and turning 33 this year.

He's a pretty sensible suggestion. I like his competitiveness and he's pretty strong for his size, but he doesn't appear to be overly quick or particularly agile which is a pretty important component. He may surprise and be a good option. It's a gap we've had for a few years and we don't appear to have tried to fill it. There's no one in the VFL team I see who's really being groomed for the role either.

Scorlibo
14-05-2015, 10:45 AM

Murphy hasn't played on a dangerous small forward in 3 years, and when he did he wasn't very good at it. Biggs doesn't and won't either. What either of they have to do with our lack of a lock down small defender is anyone's guess.

What, you think that Spud has been playing on spuds consistently for three years? Of the top ten general defenders last year at reducing their opponents' output, the highest average output of opponents (read: how good the opponents were) was 10.4 (Tyson Goldsack). Murph's opponents' average was 9.1, so he's absolutely worth acknowledging, he does play on quality opponents. Yes, he's best known for his run and creativity but he's also very underrated defensively. Biggs has played that role and will be tested in that role further in the months to come.

bornadog
14-05-2015, 10:53 AM
We lose something when Murphy plays a lock down role. We need his run and bounce to attack from the backline. Same as JI. I agree with Stache we don't have that back back pocket type to play on the small forward types.

wimberga
14-05-2015, 10:54 AM

Billings kicked 4 last week, Betts 4 two weeks earlier, and we don't have an obvious match up for either of Ballantyne or Walters this week. JJ has been getting the jobs and isn't really suited to it, Wood is back up and isn't ideal either, and Morris is our best option who's injured and turning 33 this year.

What about Picken? From memory, Picken used to play a regular lock down role on Cyril anytime we played the hawks and was reasonable at it. He has also done jobs on boomer Harvey too, both in the backline and around the ground.

I'm not saying we can take him out of the centre necessarily, more putting up the name of a player who we have on the list who can play as a lockdown.

Greystache
14-05-2015, 11:19 AM
What about Picken? From memory, Picken used to play a regular lock down role on Cyril anytime we played the hawks and was reasonable at it. He has also done jobs on boomer Harvey too, both in the backline and around the ground.

I'm not saying we can take him out of the centre necessarily, more putting up the name of a player who we have on the list who can play as a lockdown.

Yep Picken is the most capable of playing that role, I did mention him as playing that role in my earlier post, and he's played it quite a bit in the previous 2 years. He's got the pace, competitiveness, and physicality for the role, but I agree with how we're using him now and think it's more efficient use of him. His ball use from deep in defence was an issue too, although that shouldn't be a primary concern when looking for restrict the opposition's best small forward.

Ozza
14-05-2015, 12:50 PM
JJ may have to play on a wing this week, pushing Goodes (if picked) to the backline perhaps on Mayne - allowing Wood to play on Walters.

Just a thought.

We like to have Wood pretty close to the last line - so I think he needs to play on a small this week.
I don't like the idea of JJ playing on either Balla or Walters.

ratsmac
14-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Ins
Minson, Wallis, Jong, Boyd

Outs
Smith, Stevens, Hrovat, Cordy.

Adelaide got us on the rebound after the Hawthorn thrashing so Freo better watch out!

Greystache
14-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Ins
Minson, Wallis, Jong, Boyd

Outs
Smith, Stevens, Hrovat, Cordy.

Adelaide got us on the rebound after the Hawthorn thrashing so Freo better watch out!

Pretty happy with that, although I'd still like to see Campbell come in for an extended run. There's a few players there with injury clouds over them, I'd hope we wouldn't take more than two if they're not 100% right.

bornadog
14-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Some of the Stats head to Head

Head to Head

Edge
Western Bulldogs
Average Per Game
Fremantle
Edge

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/img/prostats/team/115.jpg (http://www.wegart.com.au/)

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/img/prostats/team/106.jpg (http://www.wegart.com.au/)

-4.6%
Disposals
4.6%

-6.1%
Kicks
6.1%

-19.8%
Marks
19.8%

-2.7%
Handballs
2.7%

14.6%
Tackles
-14.6%

-14.4%
Frees For
14.4%

0.9%
Frees Against
-0.9%

-17.4%
Hitouts
17.4%

-19.7%
Cont Marks
19.7%

1.1%
Clearances
-1.1%

4.0%
Inside 50s
-4.0%

7.3%
Rebound 50s
-7.3%

3.9%
Cont Poss
-3.9%

-10.6%
Unc Poss
10.6%

12.6%
1%ers
-12.6%

-32.7%
Eff Hitouts
32.7%

Hitouts to Advantage

-22.4%
Gls from Stoppages
22.4%

6.5%
Goals from Turnovers
-6.5%

-11.4%
Goal Assists
11.4%

bornadog
14-05-2015, 05:15 PM
We need to keep up the tackling pressure for 4 quarters.

I think Minson must come in otherwise we will be smashed with hitouts and Fyfe and co will have a ball (so to speak).

Should we drop Roberts and keep Cordy in with Minson?

bornadog
14-05-2015, 07:25 PM
WBulldogs v Frem;

M Boyd, Wallis, Jong, Dale in for C Smith.

McPharlin, Sheridan, Crozier into 25.

Looks like squads at this stage.

1eyedog
14-05-2015, 07:26 PM
^^^^^^

1eyedog
14-05-2015, 07:28 PM
WBulldogs v Frem;

M Boyd, Wallis, Jong, Dale in for C Smith.

McPharlin, Sheridan, Crozier into 25.

Looks like squads at this stage.

Well at least Jong, Wallis and Boyd are in the starting line up which is a good sign.

Go_Dogs
14-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Well at least Jong, Wallis and Boyd are in the starting line up which is a good sign.

Agreed. Tough to select the final bench.

McPharlin back for them is huge.

Webby
14-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Jong, Wallis & Boyd coming in adds a lot of grunt to the team.

Still think Freo will be too strong, but don't think this side would've lost last week. We badly missed Jong and Boyd in particular.

bornadog
14-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Full back
M Boyd
J Roughead
E Wood

Half back
R Murphy
M Talia
J Johannisen

Centreline
T Dickson
L Picken
K Stevens

Half forward
M Honeychurch
J Stringer
M Wallis

Full forward
S Crameri
T Boyd
L Dahlhaus

Followers
A Cordy
L Jong
M Bontempelli

Interchange from
L Hunter
J Macrae
N Hrovat

F Roberts
L Webb
B Dale

B Goodes

soupman
14-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Still no Minson/Campbell.

bornadog
14-05-2015, 07:41 PM
From the interchange, I would like to see Dale, Macrae, Hrovat and Roberts in.

Remi Moses
14-05-2015, 07:44 PM
From the interchange, I would like to see Dale, Macrae, Hrovat and Roberts in.

Might need Roberts to remain in while Roughy takes 2nd ruck dities

G-Mo77
14-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Love the Ins. Boyd, Jong, Wallis. That's huge!!

Boyd's in for a tough day with McPharlin back.

Cordy continues to go up against the best. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

ratsmac
14-05-2015, 08:16 PM
We are going to get absolutely smashed in ruck this week. Get the record books ready!
Surely Minson or Campbell get a late call up.
Gee Bevo really sticks to his guns when he has his mind on something. I hope what he sees in Cordy I start to see it too on Sunday.

G-Mo77
14-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Apart from hitouts what did Cordy do to get dropped. Around the ground he was the better ruckman and IMO was one of our better players during or horrible collapse.

Remi Moses
14-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Apart from hitouts what did Cordy do to get dropped. Around the ground he was the better ruckman and IMO was one of our better players during or horrible collapse.

It's the set up in contests and the their mids knowing Sandi's going to put it where he likes, and it's something Freo have improved markedly on.
I'd imagine we have a plan to combat his ruck dominance, but I agree Ayce was decent last week around the ground .

G-Mo77
14-05-2015, 08:35 PM
It's the set up in contests and the their mids knowing Sandi's going to put it where he likes, and it's something Freo have improved markedly on.
I'd imagine we have a plan to combat his ruck dominance, but I agree Ayce was decent last week around the ground .

Yeah understand that Remi but I don't see Will competing any better there or Campbell for that matter. I was really impressed with Cordy last week. He moved from end to end and had influence on the play. He's gaining confidence each week and is starting to take contested marks. Something our rucks haven't been able to for a decade.

Remi Moses
14-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Yeah understand that Remi but I don't see Will competing any better there or Campbell for that matter. I was really impressed with Cordy last week. He moved from end to end and had influence on the play. He's gaining confidence each week and is starting to take contested marks. Something our rucks haven't been able to for a decade.

Don't get me wrong as I'm glad he's getting a decent crack, and his around the ground work is better than Will's.

ledge
14-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Cordy is our decoy ruck man , Jong is our real ruck from what I've seen.

Mantis
14-05-2015, 09:12 PM

Not much, but given Freo's midfield strength it's going to be very important to nullify Sandi's influence.. Not sure Cordy gives us the best chance to achieve this.

ratsmac
14-05-2015, 09:15 PM
I thought Cordy was serviceable last week but if there has ever been a case for horses for courses this is it. Freo are good enough as it is, we don't have to give them first use 100% of the time.

merantau
14-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Who is going to play on Fyffe? He is in the Mother of All Purple Patches of Form at the moment.

LostDoggy
14-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Who is going to play on Fyffe? He is in the Mother of All Purple Patches of Form at the moment.

The Bont and Fyfe toe to toe.

1eyedog
14-05-2015, 09:32 PM

So was Sloane before he came to play us.

merantau
14-05-2015, 09:32 PM
You're on the money, I reckon.

merantau
14-05-2015, 09:34 PM
You're on the money there, I reckon

Bulldog Joe
14-05-2015, 09:35 PM
I've fixed Fyfe.

Made him captain in Supercoach.

Worked well with Sloane.

1eyedog
14-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Freo are rolling, but they haven't played at the cauldron of pain so far this year. As Tommy Boyd said, let's see how they go under the lights on Sunday. I've half a mind to think that this will be built up as a fair test for Freo as well.

merantau
14-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Not much, but given Freo's midfield strength it's going to be very important to nullify Sandi's influence.. Not sure Cordy gives us the best chance to achieve this.
If Cordy is ever going to silence the doubters then this match is a golden opportunity for him = carpe diem.

ratsmac
14-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Sorry double posted

mjp
14-05-2015, 10:31 PM

That was Essendon's plan with Heppell. Did not go well.

KT31
15-05-2015, 12:42 AM
At least Will would bring the ball to ground and not be shoved out of the contest as easily as Cordy.
Some people seem to be forgetting Will is an All Australian ruckman and while he may have been a tad out of form and favour the job he is capable of doing IMO has Cordy in spades.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2015, 12:57 AM

Picken is having a bit of a good patch himself.

Cyberdoggie
15-05-2015, 02:08 AM
Picken is having a bit of a good patch himself.

Picken hasn't really been playing as a tagger this year. He has taken over the contested ball player in the middle since Wallis was injured and his stats say he's playing the best footy in the team this year, in particular in recent weeks.
Bevo really hasn't focussed on tagging players like McCartney did, even when the Hawks were smashing us with Hodge and Lewis running riot, Armitage last week with 45 odd disposals. Seems to be more about us dominating the contest more than the opposition rather than negating them. Fyfe will probably have a good game, Sandilands will have 70 hitouts most likely but let's hope being the underdog might spur us on for another memorable victory.

jeemak
15-05-2015, 02:16 AM

I think people are using hit outs to advantage to justify putting him down again this week, though I don't think I could think of a more useless stat than that if a midfield is disciplined enough to counter balance dominance from an opposition ruck.

Cordy was the dominant big man on the ground last week (sure the competition didn't make it overly hard for him). People can't admit it.

jeemak
15-05-2015, 02:18 AM
I don't want to see Bont go anywhere near Fyfe. He'll get murdered, and then some.

Let him run free and put our best stopper on him now he's had some games becoming an accumulator in the middle of the ground. Picken playing tough, but offensive, is the match for Fyfe in my view.

Remi Moses
15-05-2015, 03:33 AM
At least Will would bring the ball to ground and not be shoved out of the contest as easily as Cordy.
Some people seem to be forgetting Will is an All Australian ruckman and while he may have been a tad out of form and favour the job he is capable of doing IMO has Cordy in spades.

Will was the A/A ruckman and is a million miles away from that form .Is Minson going to get to that level again?
At 30 I'd highly doubt it.

Go_Dogs
15-05-2015, 08:45 AM
I've fixed Fyfe.

Made him captain in Supercoach.

Worked well with Sloane.

Good work.

I've just traded in Lachie Neale.

Now we just need Mundy, Pav, Sandi and Walters....!

Mantis
15-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Cordy was the dominant big man on the ground last week (sure the competition didn't make it overly hard for him). People can't admit it.

But it was hardly a dominating performance.

Ozza
15-05-2015, 10:14 AM
I know that STARTING on the bench means nothing.

But is being listed on the EXTENDED bench, a kick in the ar$e for Macrae?

I hope he plays, but I also hope that the coaches have been hard on him after last weeks performance.

Great to see Wally, Boyd and Jong back in the side. 3 good strong bodies who have all played well this year around their injuries.

The Pie Man
15-05-2015, 11:54 AM
I know that STARTING on the bench means nothing.

But is being listed on the EXTENDED bench, a kick in the ar$e for Macrae?

I hope he plays, but I also hope that the coaches have been hard on him after last weeks performance.

Great to see Wally, Boyd and Jong back in the side. 3 good strong bodies who have all played well this year around their injuries.

Minson was dropped from there....

Ozza
15-05-2015, 12:38 PM

Absolutely. As I said, I certainly hope Macrae plays - but wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of him being dropped.

Happy Days
15-05-2015, 01:02 PM
I think people are using hit outs to advantage to justify putting him down again this week, though I don't think I could think of a more useless stat than that if a midfield is disciplined enough to counter balance dominance from an opposition ruck.

Cordy was good last week, especially around the ground.

BUT, do you not think that this week especially we should compromise work around the ground for not getting beaten in the midfield? I think the reason it's worked (?) so far is that due to either the conditions (Sydney) or the talent levels (everyone else), our midfield has matched or exceeded the oppositions; even though we aren't getting first use, we can beat them everywhere else and at least break even. Not this week; give that sort of latitude out of the centre to Fremantle's giant 4-headed hydra and we're dead. They don't just start possession chains, they finish them.

I would have picked Minson and have him turn every ball up into a dogfight. First use out of the middle is far more important against Fremantle than it has been previously.

bornadog
15-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Cordy was good last week, especially around the ground.

BUT, do you not think that this week especially we should compromise work around the ground for not getting beaten in the midfield? I think the reason it's worked (?) so far is that due to either the conditions (Sydney) or the talent levels (everyone else), our midfield has matched or exceeded the oppositions; even though we aren't getting first use, we can beat them everywhere else and at least break even. Not this week; give that sort of latitude out of the centre to Fremantle's giant 4-headed hydra and we're dead. They don't just start possession chains, they finish them.

I would have picked Minson and have him turn every ball up into a dogfight. First use out of the middle is far more important against Fremantle than it has been previously.

Some interesting Stats for around the ground

Cont Poss - WB 4th, Freo 12th
Clearances - WB 6th, Freo 7th
Centre Clear - WB 6th, Freo 4th - differential 2 clearances.
Stoppages - WB 5th, Freo 12th
Rebound 50 - WB 9th to Freo 15th
Inside 50 - WB 5th, Freo 11th
Tackles - WB 3rd, Freo 17th

Hitouts - WB 17th, Freo 2nd.

We are way ahead in all the relevant stats even though we are getting smashed in hitouts

bornadog
15-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Luke McPharlin has withdrawn from Fremantle squad

Ozza
15-05-2015, 03:13 PM

Good to hear.

Surprising to see Freo are ranked so low in tackles (17th). I guess they have the footy most of the time!

bornadog
15-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Good to hear.

Surprising to see Freo are ranked so low in tackles (17th). I guess they have the footy most of the time!

Yes second highest in Disposals with Hawks on top. Hawthorn also 15th in tackles.

Bulldog4life
15-05-2015, 03:16 PM

Good to hear

LostDoggy
15-05-2015, 04:14 PM
I think we'll have the Cordy/Minson argument in every Match Committee thread for the rest of the season by the look of things. I'm not sold on Cordy but willing to hang out and wait.

McPharlin is a massive out for us. I hope Lyon isn't playing funny buggers.

bornadog
15-05-2015, 04:19 PM
I think we'll have the Cordy/Minson argument in every Match Committee thread for the rest of the season by the look of things. I'm not sold on Cordy but willing to hang out and wait.

McPharlin is a massive out for us. I hope Lyon isn't playing funny buggers.

I don't think he is story here Docker McPharlin ruled out of Bulldogs clash (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-15/mcpharlin-ruled-out-of-bulldogs-clash?utm_medium=RSS)

Greystache
15-05-2015, 04:23 PM

And I think we'll see the same thing again with Macrae this week. He's had a few bad weeks and his defensive efforts have been poor.

In- Jong, Boyd, Wallis
out- MaCrae, Hrovat, Webb (rested)

Ozza
15-05-2015, 05:11 PM
And I think we'll see the same thing again with Macrae this week. He's had a few bad weeks and his defensive efforts have been poor.

In- Jong, Boyd, Wallis
out- MaCrae, Hrovat, Webb (rested)

Webb is probably the obvious one this week - as you allude to by 'rested' - he was going up and down on the spot last week.
Agree also on Hrovat, he couldn't get involved last week. Think he would benefit from a full game on ball in the VFL.
Hrovat is one player I'd like to see build his game up as the season goes on, so that he is able to be genuinely a part of the midfield rotation, and regular inside at the centre bounces.

Mofra
15-05-2015, 05:11 PM
BF rumours that Dale will debut. Not sure how reliable, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Happy Days
15-05-2015, 05:23 PM
BF rumours that Dale will debut. Not sure how reliable, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Apparently there's no Jong too

bornadog
15-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Final Team:

M Boyd, Wallis, Jong, Dale in

for Smith, Hrovat, Macrae, Webb

Emerg; Macrae, Hrovat, Webb

ratsmac
15-05-2015, 06:19 PM
MaCrae out, wow. He has been down on what we know he can be but is that enough to be dropped? Apparently so.

bornadog
15-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Full back
M Boyd
J Roughead
E Wood

Half back
R Murphy
M Talia
J Johannisen

Centreline
T Dickson
L Picken
K Stevens

Half forward
M Honeychurch
J Stringer
M Wallis

Full forward
S Crameri
T Boyd
L Dahlhaus

Followers
A Cordy
L Jong
M Bontempelli

Interchange
L Hunter
F Roberts
B Dale

B Goodes

Emergencies
J Macrae
N Hrovat
L Webb

In: M Boyd, B Dale, L Jong, M Wallis
Out: C Smith (knee), J Macrae (omitted), N Hrovat (omitted), L Webb (omitted)
New: B Dale (Dandenong - TAC Cup)

LostDoggy
15-05-2015, 06:27 PM
MaCrae out, wow. He has been down on what we know he can be but is that enough to be dropped? Apparently so.

“Non-negotiables”

Happy Days
15-05-2015, 06:30 PM

We are way ahead in all the relevant stats even though we are getting smashed in hitouts

Interesting points, but I really think that the game on the weekend exists in a vacuum, and that form lines will have little bearing on what we are confronted with, with the way we go in.

I hope to be proven wrong and for the trends you've identified to continue, but I doubt it.

Flamethrower
15-05-2015, 06:43 PM
I guess the match committee have had enough with Jackson kicking around corners, especially when he hits a guy in the 25th row on the chest. Lukas looked like he was ready for a rest this week, but I was surprised that Lachy Hunter retained his place and Nathan Hrovat didn't.

Wonder if the Rat will be a late replacement for Lin or Koby.

Ozza
15-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Macrae being shown that no matter how much talent you have...you're still expected to play a team first game.
Probably doesn't help our chances this Sunday - but a bigger picture decision.

Remi Moses
15-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Not overly shocked by Jack Macrae's ommision .
Looking forward to seeing another with two surnames debut .

Remi Moses
15-05-2015, 06:46 PM

I think some of his defensive efforts haven't been great, and the kicking around corners missing targets is infuriating .
He'll be back

The Bulldogs Bite
15-05-2015, 06:51 PM
I like the changes.

Macrae has been really poor for mine for much of the season, culminating in last week's performance. Needs to get back to basics and become better defensively.

Hrovat has been disappointing too, aside from his short impact v Swans. Needs to do more.

McPharlin out represents a great chance for our forwards to test their backs, whilst the three inclusions of Boyd/Jong/Wallis are huge for us - especially in a game v Freo. Excited to see what Dale can offer up too.

ratsmac
15-05-2015, 06:52 PM
I think some of his defensive efforts haven't been great, and the kicking around corners missing targets is infuriating .
He'll be back

I agree 100%. I'm not surprised but shocked they actually did it.
I like it, everyone is on notice and at the same time everyone has a every chance to play too.

Axe Man
15-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Last year Macrae was made the sub against Geelong after some poor performances. The next week against Gold Coast he dominated and collected 43 possessions. Perhaps he needs a bit of a wake up call every so often when his standards begin to slip.

F'scary
15-05-2015, 09:03 PM
I think that Macrae, like Webb, is a bit shickered out after some heavy matches. They will both bounce back with a bit of recouperation.

hujsh
15-05-2015, 09:32 PM

Our clearances might still be high but that doesn't mean the hitouts don't influence the quality or quantity, especialy in the centre bounces. A pre and post Cordy comparison might be more revealing but that doesn't take factors like opposition amd weather into account

ratsmac
15-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I think that Macrae, like Webb, is a bit shickered out after some heavy matches. They will both bounce back with a bit of recouperation.

Well as we have seen with the Minson omission, Bevo is making players really force their way back in the team with good form at VFL level. No one is being gifted games. They are dropped for a reason because they have deficiencies in their game. Go back work on that deficiency and when they have fixed the deficiency they get another crack. It doesn't matter who you are (except Bobby :p) It's coaching with discipline!

ratsmac
15-05-2015, 10:03 PM
V hawthorn Hodge had 40+ possessions, we lost (by a lot)
V Shitkilda Armitage had 40+ possessions, we lost (from being in a seemingly un-losable position)

We can't afford to let either Fyfe Mundy Neale or Barlow have this sort of Freedom.

Before I Die
16-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Our clearances might still be high but that doesn't mean the hitouts don't influence the quality or quantity, especialy in the centre bounces. A pre and post Cordy comparison might be more revealing but that doesn't take factors like opposition amd weather into account

There can be no debate that we are losing the hit outs and the reverse would be better. Clearly all our rucks have strengths and deficiencies. It would seem that Cordy's overall skill set is currently the best fit for Bevo's preferred game plan.

LostDoggy
17-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Freo have certainly lined up a tall side for the game

Sandilands 211cm Clark 203cm A.Pearce 200cm Taberner 198cm Johnson 195cm Mundy 192cm Pavlich 192cm Fyfe 190cm

Just have to make sure you kick to a lead and not to a pack , keep the game on the move and not get caught in repeat contests where they can target the tap out , any Forward 50 entries have to be razor sharp to stop their taller players doubling up to block or spoil