PDA

View Full Version : halftime scrap

wimberga
09-05-2015, 11:35 PM
I was at the game today.

Did any of you who were listening on radio or watching on to, did they give an reason or rationale for the half time melee?

It looked like Riewoldt was saying some things before Pickens kick and Stringer ran up immediately after, clearly unhappy.

Anyone have an insight?

You'd hate to think something was said about Clay

AndrewP6
09-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Not confirmed, but Triple M commentary seemed to think it was something like you said. If true, more reason to hate Crywoldt.

bornadog
09-05-2015, 11:58 PM
If he said something about Clay, that would be the lowest of lows.

hujsh
10-05-2015, 01:00 AM
If it's true, rather than formal action from the AFL, I hope it's simply revealed what he said and he then has to live with everyone knowing he's a piece of shit

jeemak
10-05-2015, 01:37 AM
If it's true it makes me think our second half fade out was even worse and more pathetic than I did in the first place.

comrade
10-05-2015, 09:20 AM
If it's true it makes me think our second half fade out was even worse and more pathetic than I did in the first place.

Seriously mate, this one's hurt you real bad, hasn't it?

SonofScray
10-05-2015, 09:44 AM
I figured someone made a shit remark about Clay. If that is the case, I think someone needed a vicious blow to the head.

bornadog
10-05-2015, 09:48 AM
The good thing was every player ran in and had a go at the Saints, unlike piss weak North.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Sticks and stones. If Riewoldt did, then it's a reflection on him, not us, no need to get violent ffs. Rriewoldt was booed all day.

He took a mark directly below me, on the front rail up on level three, before half time. I waited a moment for the noise to die down and screamed at him "fall over Riewoldt". He heard it.

soupman
10-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Sticks and stones. If Riewoldt did, then it's a reflection on him, not us, no need to get violent ffs. Riewoldt was booed all day.

Not necessarily. While I'm sure there were many boo's we were sitting with a lot of Saints and they always made the "Roooo" sound (like Yze and Cooney before him) every time he got the ball.

jeemak
10-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Seriously mate, this one's hurt you real bad, hasn't it?

Yeah, but I'll be ok. I hate the Saints and it really annoys me that we wilted to them particularly in light of what's being accused.

Bulldog4life
10-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but I'll be ok. I hate the Saints and it really annoys me that we wilted to them particularly in light of what's being accused.

You're a positive guy Jeemak you'll be back on that horse in no time.:)

The Pie Man
10-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Does nothing for supporter goodwill losing to them hey.

craigsahibee
10-05-2015, 12:44 PM
From what I saw, and admittedly I was 150 metres away, Stringer was the first to confront Riewoldt, and the big courageous Saint was doing his very best to get to the safety of the players race. After the melee broke up, every Bulldogs player went to Stringer to support him. I can only assume that the blonde turd said something out of line. As BAD said, I love the way we backed each other in the melee. Our spirit is there, sadly so was fatigue.

Ghost Dog
10-05-2015, 12:56 PM

Would it help to think of it as a loss by two goals? We are all gutted. I'm not sure I would describe our players as pathetic in their effort. They were certainly off.

Twodogs
10-05-2015, 12:59 PM
If he said something about Clay, that would be the lowest of lows.

One more thing to dislike him for.

Happy Days
10-05-2015, 01:37 PM
He was probably just annoyed because it kept them out of the post game showers for that little bit longer.

Topdog
10-05-2015, 02:24 PM
The good thing was every player ran in and had a go at the Saints, unlike piss weak North.

The bad thing is that whilst they showed bravado for 20 seconds they than capitulated and gave up in insipid fashion much like piss weak North.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2015, 02:33 PM
The bad thing is that whilst they showed bravado for 20 seconds they than capitulated and gave up in insipid fashion much like piss weak North.

Yep. In the end, the Olympic diver and his puppets had the last laugh.

LostDoggy
10-05-2015, 03:36 PM
It started with just a few players and then Cry me a Riverwoldt came in and it escalated
( Robert Cianflone/Getty Images AsiaPacific )

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+6+Western+Bulldogs+v+St+Kilda+YdzpHK_uIAix.jpg

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+6+Western+Bulldogs+v+St+Kilda+ziYh34w3-jCx.jpg

LostDoggy
10-05-2015, 03:40 PM
( Robert Cianflone/Getty Images AsiaPacific )

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+6+Western+Bulldogs+v+St+Kilda+_HaJe0tZOxIx.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+6+Western+Bulldogs+v+St+Kilda+-PA-CHGbyUxx.jpg

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+6+Western+Bulldogs+v+St+Kilda+dCPe7kq_MArx.jpg

Ozza
10-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Is there any basis for the suggestions about Riewoldt saying something about Smith? It's a strong suggestion/accusation and would be massively out of character.

wimberga
10-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Is there any basis for the suggestions about Riewoldt saying something about Smith? It's a strong suggestion/accusation and would be massively out of character.

I am not sure what he said, but he was definitely vocal before Picken ran in to take his kick, and wqa targeted so he must have said something inciteful.

EasternWest
10-05-2015, 06:03 PM

I agree that I would be surprised if he did say something as distasteful as that.

But he's pretty good on the lip, so I wouldn't say it's out of character to say something cutting.

If it's proven or emerges that he's said something about Smith, then I'll get my pitchfork too. But until then I'll hold my fire.

EasternWest
10-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Double up.

G-Mo77
10-05-2015, 06:17 PM

We'll probably never now. I doubt we'll come out and ask for an investigation or any of the players will let it slip but one thing I'll say is it is not out of character. The guy is scum and has managed to have fall guys for every incident (that I'm aware of) he's been involved in.

The Dog Father
10-05-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm not one for thuggery on field but a good melee can have it's uses on the odd occasion. We fell away badly In the second half but asserting physical dominance, sticking up for your team mates, flying the flag and the like does usually have an impact in ways that the scoreboard does not always reflect. We didn't see the result of this action on this occasion, but in 6 weeks time and in the years to come when both teams are competing in September, they will know us as a team that will not be dominated or dictated to, verbally, mentally or physically.

Maddog37
10-05-2015, 07:11 PM
I hope when we play them again we have a few less injuries and stick it right up 'em.

bornadog
10-05-2015, 07:15 PM
I hope when we play them again we have a few less injuries and stick it right up 'em.

Next game with the Saints is not far away.

Remi Moses
10-05-2015, 07:16 PM
We're all just guessing .
Maybe it was just a bit of banter, who knows?

F'scary
10-05-2015, 08:20 PM
He was probably just annoyed because it kept them out of the post game showers for that little bit longer.

Yeah, but it would have given more time for Zac Dawson to fly over with a condom for a photo shoot.

Ozza
10-05-2015, 09:21 PM
We'll probably never now. I doubt we'll come out and ask for an investigation or any of the players will let it slip but one thing I'll say is it is not out of character. The guy is scum and has managed to have fall guys for every incident (that I'm aware of) he's been involved in.

What tripe. 'The guy is scum'. Please.

G-Mo77
10-05-2015, 09:32 PM
What tripe. 'The guy is scum'. Please.

Sorry. He's a great guy.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Have heard a few stories which don't paint Riewoldt in a great light. I'm with G-Mo.

Ozza
10-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Have heard a few stories which don't paint Riewoldt in a great light. I'm with G-Mo.

Well if you blokes have heard some 3rd hand stories, then you must be right about him.

Twodogs
10-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Sorry. He's a great guy.

Sensational guy. Obviously.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2015, 10:46 PM
Well if you blokes have heard some 3rd hand stories, then you must be right about him.

I could just as easily say well if you've heard nothing, you must be right about him. :rolleyes:

Believe whatever you want to believe, champ.

LostDoggy
10-05-2015, 11:58 PM
I'm in the scum boat.

Character witness for Steve Milne sort of illustrates his character for me.

Doc26
11-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Hopefully just my eyes playing tricks on me but did anyone else notice anything 'possibly' untoward in the melee between Liam and Sam Fisher that might place Liam in some hot water ? If so, here's hoping it stays quiet from the Saints because I can't see the MRP acting simply on the vision of it.

SonofScray
11-05-2015, 08:58 PM
I'm in the scum boat.

Character witness for Steve Milne sort of illustrates his character for me.

Yep. Ordinary bloke.

1eyedog
11-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Hopefully just my eyes playing tricks on me but did anyone else notice anything 'possibly' untoward in the melee between Liam and Sam Fisher that might place Liam in some hot water ? If so, here's hoping it stays quiet from the Saints because I can't see the MRP acting simply on the vision of it.

Don't they review / watch every match and release a statement saying whether there was an incident they are investigting or that there is nothing to report? I must say I missed it.

Doc26
11-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Don't they review / watch every match and release a statement saying whether there was an incident they are investigting or that there is nothing to report. I must say I missed it.

Yes they do review the video although of course not all can be picked up.

Quite possibly there was nothing in it.

My concern at the time was whether Sam Fisher might've looked to lodge a complaint which fortunately by now I'm assuming he hasn't done. With Liam contending with three St.Kilda players over him at the time I could understand why he might've felt threatened.

If you have the melee recorded and watch towards the end of it where Fisher has Liam on the ground through to where Fisher is walking off the ground with his team mates you can assess whether there might've been anything to be worried about.

bornadog
11-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Yes they do review the video although of course not all can be picked up.

Quite possibly there was nothing in it.

My concern at the time was whether Sam Fisher might've looked to lodge a complaint which fortunately by now I'm assuming he hasn't done. With Liam contending with three St.Kilda players over him at the time I could understand why he might've felt threatened.

If you have the melee recorded and watch towards the end of it where Fisher has Liam on the ground through to where Fisher is walking off the ground with his team mates you can assess whether there might've been anything to be worried about.

MRP Outcome:

Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer can accept a $1500 fine after he was charged with a second offence for engaging in a melee at half-time of his side's clash with St Kilda.

Teammate Michael Talia and Saints Nick Riewoldt, Sam Fisher and Maverick Weller have also been fined $1000 for their roles in the same incident.

F'scary
12-05-2015, 12:31 AM
I know I made a quip above about the infamous naked photo scandal of some years ago now but I don't agree with the tenor of a couple of comments above pertaining to the Milne case and Riewoldt making a personal choice to provide moral support for his friend.

I believe that Riewoldt's actions in the heightened atmosphere that developed around the trial were christian in nature and not tendentious.

I would be interested like others to know exactly what triggered last Saturday's half time melee. I really hope that no St Kilda players were so low as to mock the bad luck of our Clay Smith.

Remi Moses
12-05-2015, 01:26 AM
I know I made a quip above about the infamous naked photo scandal of some years ago now but I don't agree with the tenor of a couple of comments above pertaining to the Milne case and Riewoldt making a personal choice to provide moral support for his friend.

I believe that Riewoldt's actions in the heightened atmosphere that developed around the trial were christian in nature and not tendentious.

I would be interested like others to know exactly what triggered last Saturday's half time melee. I really hope that no St Kilda players were so low as to mock the bad luck of our Clay Smith.

Pretty poor look from Riewoldt .
Even as a mate, making an appearance in a rape case is crap form

craigsahibee
12-05-2015, 03:48 AM
Pretty poor look from Riewoldt .
Even as a mate, making an appearance in a rape case is crap form

A bit sanctimonious from him in the first instance to even believe that a character reference from him would carry that much weight.

mitch0418
12-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Just to be clear I saw what started the melee. Picken had just kicked the goal at half time and after the boys had run to pat him on the back just as they started to walk off Riewoldt pushed Liam in the back. Stringer saw it and then ran in to tell Riewoldt just what he thought of the low act. Whether Liam said something to Roo just before walking off I don't know, but either way it was a low act even though it wasn't a hard push.

I thought it was good to see the boys go into bat as I remember a previous year when Barry Hall got into a wrestle with Scott Thompson (I think) after he pushed Baz as he was doing up his shoe lace and I don't think any player came in to help. At least the Doggies seem to be a tight unit now.

soupman
12-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Just to be clear I saw what started the melee. Picken had just kicked the goal at half time and after the boys had run to pat him on the back just as they started to walk off Riewoldt pushed Liam in the back. Stringer saw it and then ran in to tell Riewoldt just what he thought of the low act. Whether Liam said something to Roo just before walking off I don't know, but either way it was a low act even though it wasn't a hard push.

Thats what I saw as well. It was a small push from Riewoldt and Stringer took offence. It was a very minor thing to start an all in melee for if that was it though so I'm assuming something was said by somebody.

bornadog
12-05-2015, 09:42 AM
I thought it was good to see the boys go into bat as I remember a previous year when Barry Hall got into a wrestle with Scott Thompson (I think) after he pushed Baz as he was doing up his shoe lace and I don't think any player came in to help. At least the Doggies seem to be a tight unit now.

Only Cooney and Stack ran in.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-05-2015, 09:47 AM

to be fair there was a game going on further up the field. It happened way off the ball.....i recall. my memory of it is hazy though

dukedog
12-05-2015, 09:50 AM
I don't know much of the guys character. But he is a captain of a footy club. His recent personal battles lately with family. I very much doubt he would have said anything about clays knee. Most footy players, even opposing team players would feel bad about that injury occurring. Such a shame for clay. Ome of my favourite players. I hope the doc offers LARS. Might just work for him. Hope he gets back. He loves the game too much to give up without the doc telling him he needs to

bornadog
12-05-2015, 09:52 AM
to be fair there was a game going on further up the field. It happened way off the ball.....i recall. my memory of it is hazy though

The game continued but there were at least 5 North players in there.

https://youtu.be/NoPjYNDbX4Y

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Lake streamed all the way form full back to have a crack, which was great to see. Not too many others did anything.

SlimPickens
12-05-2015, 02:44 PM

Barry was certainly happy that "Brendon" Stack ran in to give him a hand.

bornadog
12-05-2015, 02:47 PM

You mean Brennan.

Greystache
12-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Poor Brennan. You can be pretty sure your team mates don't rate you when they don't even know your name! :D

SlimPickens
12-05-2015, 05:16 PM
You mean Brennan.

This came up when Barry was on 360 one night. After struggling to remember Brennan's name, Barry flimsily said Brendon Stack.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-05-2015, 05:19 PM
The commentator said that Stack waved a feather at them. Even worse when Hall was coming off the ground several Norf players punched him in the back heroes all

bornadog
12-05-2015, 05:21 PM
This came up when Barry was on 360 one night. After struggling to remember Brennan's name, Barry flimsily said Brendon Stack.

Sorry missed the joke.

Many people did get his name wrong.

bornadog
12-05-2015, 05:23 PM
This was the best melee v Saints

https://youtu.be/oS3S3icYgdY

Doc26
12-05-2015, 05:41 PM
This was the best melee v Saints

https://youtu.be/oS3S3icYgdY

Is this the melee where Shaggy broke Heath Black's jaw ?

bornadog
12-05-2015, 06:16 PM

Yes right at the end of the video.

Happy Days
12-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Yes right at the end of the video.

He only got 1 week for that.

How did he only get 1 week for that??

G-Mo77
12-05-2015, 08:15 PM
I remember that well. Black actually got up and went after Nathan Brown. He probably only remembered the blonde hair so went for the closest one.

Topdog
12-05-2015, 09:47 PM
I don't know much of the guys character. But he is a captain of a footy club. His recent personal battles lately with family. I very much doubt he would have said anything about clays knee. Most footy players, even opposing team players would feel bad about that injury occurring. Such a shame for clay. Ome of my favourite players. I hope the doc offers LARS. Might just work for him. Hope he gets back. He loves the game too much to give up without the doc telling him he needs to

An ex-Bulldog player certainly believes that Nick made a comment about Clay to start it all.

Go_Dogs
13-05-2015, 08:36 AM
An ex-Bulldog player certainly believes that Nick made a comment about Clay to start it all.

Are you able to elaborate?

craigsahibee
13-05-2015, 12:11 PM

Shaggy could go with his fists. ITRC Aaron Hamill had a fair bit to do with regards to starting that. If ever there was anyone to fit the "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" description, it was Hamill.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Shaggy could go with his fists. ITRC Aaron Hamill had a fair bit to do with regards to starting that. If ever there was anyone to fit the "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" description, it was Hamill.

He did his knee when he kneed someone in a pack which was poetic justice

1eyedog
13-05-2015, 05:20 PM

Not sure about this, at least from a footballing perspective. Hamill played the game pretty hard, not sure what he was like when you fronted up to him but I remember many injuries and times out of the game because he threw his body around. I remember him going pretty hard on one of the Scott's too when they were bumping Crywoldt after he put his shoulder out.

Twodogs
13-05-2015, 05:45 PM
I thought Hamill played the game hard but I remeber the knee thing IMB mentioned. He was the first player I remember being exchanged for draft picks. Carlton got St Kildas pick 4 and a second round pick. No player or money went to them and it seemed like St Kilda had made out like bandits, Carlton made out they were a bit miffed they hadn't got a player in exchange. Not many people really understood the concept of drafting and the value of early picks back then.

I wonder who Carlton picked with their abstract new draft picks?

Happy Days
13-05-2015, 05:56 PM
I thought Hamill played the game hard but I remeber the knee thing IMB mentioned. He was the first player I remember being exchanged for draft picks. Carlton got St Kildas pick 4 and a second round pick. No player or money went to them and it seemed like St Kilda had made out like bandits, Carlton made out they were a bit miffed they hadn't got a player in exchange. Not many people really understood the concept of drafting and the value of early picks back then.

I know one of the players was Luke "next SOS" Livingston, so maybe St Kilda did make out like bandits?

Axe Man
13-05-2015, 06:33 PM

Hamill was traded for pick 4 and Sam Cranage (whoever he was). As Happy Days said pick 4 turned out to be Luke Livingston, but in fairness to Carlton it was a pretty crappy draft.

craigsahibee
14-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Not sure about this, at least from a footballing perspective. Hamill played the game pretty hard, not sure what he was like when you fronted up to him but I remember many injuries and times out of the game because he threw his body around. I remember him going pretty hard on one of the Scott's too when they were bumping Crywoldt after he put his shoulder out.

good at throwing his weight around, that's about it. extremely overrated.

G-Mo77
16-05-2015, 03:25 PM
We'll never known if Riewoldt said anything or not but I do believe in karma.

Mantis
16-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Crude!

G-Mo77
16-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Don't want to see anyone hurt badly playing footy just believe what you give you get returned.

Flamethrower
16-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Welcome to our world Saints.

Late changes plus multiple game ending injuries kill you.

jeemak
16-05-2015, 03:51 PM

Don't want to see anyone hurt badly playing footy just believe what you give you get returned.

I'm not sure karma is that simple. If it was, one would have to assume Clay Smith in some way might have earned his three knee injuries! That's a horrible thought.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying, and probably I'm just being a twerp.

G-Mo77
16-05-2015, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure karma is that simple. If it was, one would have to assume Clay Smith in some way might have earned his three knee injuries! That's a horrible thought.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying, and probably I'm just being a twerp.

Yeah know what you're saying as well jermak. ☺