PDA

View Full Version : The Advertiser Phantom Draft

Go_Dogs
18-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Sorry, no luck on a link or a scan. :)

As always, the main focus is on who the Crows and Power should be chasing, however they have complied a list of the whole draft, so I will include the first round list, and then the complete list of Dogs selections.

1 - Kreuzer
2 - Morton
3 - Palmer
4 - Henderson
5 - Gourdis
6 - Cotchin
7 - Myers
8 - MAsten
9 - McEvoy
10 - Ebert (surely wishful thinking!)
11 - Rance
12 - Pears
13 - Rioli
14 - Veszpremi
15 - Ward
16 - Bellchambers (but surprising selection for the Power imo)
17 - Selwood
18 - Dangerfield

Gourdis - Subiaco, 193cm 89 kgs, 'Outstanding athlete who had the best vertical jump at the national draft camp with 81cm - 7cm better than anybody else. A key position player who is a good kick for goal and would slot nicely in the Dogs' forward line.'

Our other selections were;
19 - Jack Grimes
35 - Andrew Renton
43 - Dawson Simpson
48 - Patrick Rose
63 - Joel Smouha
67 - Michael Rockefeller

If a link manages to turn up later, I will post the whole article.

GVGjr
18-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Whats everyones views on this? We land a couple of ruckman which surprises me a lot.

Go_Dogs
18-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I feel that we should still aim to grab a ruck somewhere, perhaps one in the ND, one in the RD. Not sure if we'll utilise 2 early-ish picks like they have suggested here.

Anyone else concerned about our lack of ready made/back up runners? As much as I'm for drafting 2 early talls, I think we are at least 1 quality runner short and definitely short in depth.

Perhaps that is why the interest in a few slightly older players, who could make an impact immediately?

tomawk
18-11-2007, 02:30 PM
i had never heard of gourdis before picking up today's paper (a bit late, after a goodnight out). Anyone seen any other reviews?

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 03:58 PM
The Herald sun and The Age both have Jarrad Grant coming to us at pick 5.

Bulldogs_6
18-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah I agree that we might be one or two runners short at the moment, as we have height but no KPF which is obviously the major thing. Even though Scotty Clayton has stated that we will pick up two athletic KPP (correct me if I'm wrong) for our first two picks I'd love to see a runner such as Callan Ward or Jack Grimes picked up with pick 19. What other quality runners would be available by pick 19 that is worth that pick? Thoughts on this?

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 07:07 PM
i had never heard of gourdis before picking up today's paper (a bit late, after a goodnight out). Anyone seen any other reviews?

Gourdis did very well at the draft camp with spirints and athletic prowess and at the National Championships for under 18's.

193cm and about 86kg. Plays as a key forward.

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah I agree that we might be one or two runners short at the moment, as we have height but no KPF which is obviously the major thing. Even though Scotty Clayton has stated that we will pick up two athletic KPP (correct me if I'm wrong) for our first two picks I'd love to see a runner such as Callan Ward or Jack Grimes picked up with pick 19. What other quality runners would be available by pick 19 that is worth that pick? Thoughts on this?

I wouldn't mind seeing Clayton sticking to his word in the paper and select a good combination of talls and runners.
How great would it be to get a forward like Grant with the first selection and someone like Ward with the 2nd even though most would want another tall.

Three talls and three runners would be a good balance.

Mantis
18-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Clayton sticking to his word in the paper and select a good combination of talls and runners.
How great would it be to get a forward like Grant with the first selection and someone like Ward with the 2nd even though most would want another tall.

Would you include a ruckman as one of your talls?

If we don't select a ruckman this Saturday you would think that we would have to pick one up in the rookie draft.

Bulldog Revolution
18-11-2007, 09:42 PM
The main problem I see with the Advertisers view is that I cant see us taking two ruckmen, and look it wouldn't surprise if Clayton didn't take any.

Apart from 2 forward options we need some bigger bodied running players

Rose and Rockerfeller dont really excite me in that area AND Smouha is a developing key defender

Doesn't seem the right mix to me

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Would you include a ruckman as one of your talls?

If we don't select a ruckman this Saturday you would think that we would have to pick one up in the rookie draft.

Even with the prospect of drafting Ayce Cordy next season we need to secure a ruckman in the draft and possibly as a rookie. I only saw Dean Putt a few times but I think he would be nice ruckman or key forward. If we select McEvoy we might not select another ruckman though.

LostDoggy
18-11-2007, 09:56 PM
The main problem I see with the Advertisers view is that I cant see us taking two ruckmen, and look it wouldn't surprise if Clayton didn't take any.

Apart from 2 forward options we need some bigger bodied running players

Rose and Rockerfeller dont really excite me in that area AND Smouha is a developing key defender

Doesn't seem the right mix to me

I doubt we will select two ruckman in the draft although we might rookie list an extra one.

Drunken Bum
18-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't pay too much attention to this as a mock draft, the full one is up on BF and they have picked 3 players who haven't even nominated for the draft apparently

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2007, 10:20 AM
It's from the Advertiser, guys!

They would have had absolutely zero interest in any of the draft picks other than Adelaide or Port.

They probably put down who they wanted for the SA clubs first (hello Brad Ebert) and then filled in the gaps around them with random names.

Dogs 24/7
19-11-2007, 08:51 PM
It's from the Advertiser, guys!

They would have had absolutely zero interest in any of the draft picks other than Adelaide or Port.

They probably put down who they wanted for the SA clubs first (hello Brad Ebert) and then filled in the gaps around them with random names.

I still enjoyed having a read of it.

Cyberdoggie
20-11-2007, 04:51 PM

callan ward is a bit of an enigma. He's still very lean and not particularly tall but to me he's got brad johnson written all over him. 6 goals in an loosing elimination final against geelong playing up forward. He's a fantastic shot for goal and he's got plenty of potential.

If we got grant and ward with the first two picks i'd be ecstatic. I'm just worried that clayton will pick something completely different because he usually does.

Go_Dogs
20-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm just worried that clayton will pick something completely different because he usually does.

Exactly right. It's very difficult to get a feel of who we will go for. I think having a top 5 pick makes it a bit more obvious (although not especially this year), but besides perhaps the top few, most of the other top choice selections seem pretty interchangable.

Everitt and the rest of last years crop was certainly a bit of a surprising bunch I guess in regards to a lot of the opinions floating around prior to draft day.

Bulldog Revolution
21-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm just worried that clayton will pick something completely different because he usually does.

I am actually getting more confident the closer the draft gets,

I admit its easy to sit back and pick out particular selections that Clayton has made over the years and wonder what was he thinking on that one, BUT the majority of the time he really does have an eye for the talent and how it will project.

And really I cant think of a first round selection he has really missed on hugely, ok Power was a disappointment but hes still played 80 games

The Everitt selection looks inspired last year, as does the Tommy Williams. I think he'll land us another good crop and then its up the development coaches.

Mantis
21-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I am actually getting more confident the closer the draft gets,

I admit its easy to sit back and pick out particular selections that Clayton has made over the years and wonder what was he thinking on that one, BUT the majority of the time he really does have an eye for the talent and how it will project.

And really I cant think of a first round selection he has really missed on hugely, ok Power was a disappointment but hes still played 80 games

The Everitt selection looks inspired last year, as does the Tommy Williams. I think he'll land us another good crop and then its up the development coaches.

Tim Walsh, I know injuries killed him, I suppose we will never know now.

Go_Dogs
21-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Power, McMahon and Walsh are the ones that stand out. I guess long term question marks still sit over Ray, but I think he has showed enough continual improvement to suggest he'll do better than both McMahon and Power did with us.

Bulldog Revolution
21-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Power, McMahon and Walsh are the ones that stand out. I guess long term question marks still sit over Ray, but I think he has showed enough continual improvement to suggest he'll do better than both McMahon and Power did with us.

I think thats harsh on Griff

McMahon was the 10th pick in his draft and picked as a bottom age player if my memory serves me

He played over 100 games for the club and then we traded him and got pick 19

To me there is nothing unsuccessful about that.

True he didn't quite become the superstar we hoped he could be, but I dont blame Clayton one little bit for that.

Go_Dogs
21-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I think thats harsh on Griff

McMahon was the 10th pick in his draft and picked as a bottom age player if my memory serves me

He played over 100 games for the club and then we traded him and got pick 19

To me there is nothing unsuccessful about that.

True he didn't quite become the superstar we hoped he could be, but I dont blame Clayton one little bit for that.

True, but in my opinion, a successful first round selection is one who can play over 200 games for the club. I agree that perhaps Jordan himself and the coaching staff are perhaps, more to blame than Clayton. At the same time, surely the recruiter should be looking at everything, work ethic/determination to succeed as well as football skills, although again with Jordan you get the feeling there are some other issues that occurred later. He's certainly a tough one to speculate on.

If we can draft a player who plays 200+ games with the pick we got for McMahon, that would be a real win.

Topdog
21-11-2007, 02:41 PM
True, but in my opinion, a successful first round selection is one who can play over 200 games for the club. I agree that perhaps Jordan himself and the coaching staff are perhaps, more to blame than Clayton. At the same time, surely the recruiter should be looking at everything, work ethic/determination to succeed as well as football skills, although again with Jordan you get the feeling there are some other issues that occurred later. He's certainly a tough one to speculate on.

If we can draft a player who plays 200+ games with the pick we got for McMahon, that would be a real win.

200 games is a hell of alot. I'd think that less than 20% of 1st round selections would play 200 games

Go_Dogs
21-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Quite likely a reasonable percentage. Of course injury and other problems curtail a lot of promising players. In modern recruiting though, it isn't anywhere near as hit and miss as it used to be, and in my opinion, a 200 game player is what you should be aiming for with every first round selection.

Sockeye Salmon
21-11-2007, 03:25 PM
McMohan left of his own choosing - that's hardly Clayton's fault.

Clayton's job is to draft a 200 game player, with McMahon, it looks like he's drafted a 200 gamer.

hujsh
21-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I have one question. Whats a KPP and KPF

GVGjr
21-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I have one question. Whats a KPP and KPF

KPP = Key Position Player

I cannot see where you got KPF from in this thread but it could be Key Position Forward

bornadog
21-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Tim Walsh, I know injuries killed him, I suppose we will never know now.

He has nominated for the draft, so we will see if he is picked up and how he goes.

LostDoggy
21-11-2007, 08:11 PM
good luck to him , i hope he gets a run injury free.

hujsh
22-11-2007, 05:04 PM
KPP = Key Position Player

I cannot see where you got KPF from in this thread but it could be Key Position Forward

Thanks that explains it