PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 7 Edition

Eastdog
15-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Once the Round 7 match against Fremantle is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

GVGjr
17-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Bump

bornadog
17-05-2015, 06:01 PM
1. Our midfield still has along way to go to match the best, but in time they will be the best. :)

2. You can't win a game when your ruckman wins only 3 hitouts each (Cordy 3 Boyd 3)

3. Impressed with Fletcher Roberts today, and I think he will make it.

LostDoggy
17-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Three things I learned:

1. I have missed the last few games live, and went to this one with a determined aim of trying to decode the reasons for Cordy retaining his spot, as on TV I just don't see it. I did today. He ran hard both ways, he was outmuscled plenty of times but still fought hard to compete anyway and gave 110%. I'm not quite converted but he went a long way to winning me over today.
2. It's easy to win a Brownlow when you don't have to dispose of the ball correctly, and can run through packs taking blokes out left, right and centre with no penalty whatsoever (which helps get those highlights-friendly pack-busting disposals, because nobody notices you just KO'ed a bloke on the way through). I might get over my sour grapes later, but I'm pretty peeved about the free run Fyfe got today both from our midfield and the boys in green.
3. When the Dogs look like getting blown away, strap yourself and feel the gees, because we ain't done yet.

Things I knew already but were reinforced to me today:

1. Matthew Pavlich is a champion and deserves a flag.
2. Ross Lyon is a bastard and deserves to never win a flag.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2015, 06:10 PM
1. When we work out the rucking thing and having a dedicated tagger, we may see very quick improvement on top of our bell curve.
2. Tory deeper forward bears fruit. He's a forward so I'd prefer to play him there.
3. Hunter is not a HBF or on baller. If he's not playing forward, I think Biggs, Hrovat and Macrae (vfl this week) deserve the spot he's taking.

LostDoggy
17-05-2015, 06:16 PM
1. When we work out the rucking thing and having a dedicated tagger, we may see very quick improvement on top of our bell curve.
2. Tory deeper forward bears fruit. He's a forward so I'd prefer to play him there.
3. Hunter is not a HBF or on baller. If he's not playing forward, I think Biggs, Hrovat and Macrae (vfl this week) deserve the spot he's taking.

I agree with this. I know he's been racking up the stats in the twos and has well and truly "put his hand up" for selection, but there's little point unless he's adding something tangible to the team. Nothing wrong with beating down the door in the VFL and not getting a spot. It's called depth. I'll allow some leeway for his being the sub, but he was brought on quite early despite that and struggled to make an impact. If he's going to play like that he needs about 8 to 10 more tackles to his name to justify his spot.

always right
17-05-2015, 06:34 PM
1. Beveridge is a lateral thinker. I was incredulous when I saw Goodes and Stevens competing in the ruck but it actually worked in a bizarre way. Goodes did an excellent job.
2. Easton Wood is in AA form
3. I may have judged Dickson harshly in the past.

LostDoggy
17-05-2015, 07:00 PM
1 - Roberts deserved to get another chance and as the extra tall was an important part of the structure

2 - Jong and Stringer were off today , probably should have been rested for Biggs and Redpath

3 - T.Boyd is worth every cent , just needs more quality supply

jeemak
17-05-2015, 07:08 PM
I agree with this. I know he's been racking up the stats in the twos and has well and truly "put his hand up" for selection, but there's little point unless he's adding something tangible to the team. Nothing wrong with beating down the door in the VFL and not getting a spot. It's called depth. I'll allow some leeway for his being the sub, but he was brought on quite early despite that and struggled to make an impact. If he's going to play like that he needs about 8 to 10 more tackles to his name to justify his spot.

It's funny, looking at the stats sheet you're probably forgiven for giving a pass mark with Hunter earning eight touches, three marks and three tackles in just under a half of footy.

I didn't notice him a great deal out there today, one way or another, whilst stats only ever tell part of the story. Last week I was particularly annoyed with his approach, probably because our midfield was getting a pasting and greatly contributing to a nine goal lead being eroded, whereas today we seemed to be balancing things out as the game went on.

westbulldog
17-05-2015, 07:14 PM
After 1/4 time against the top team we kicked 13-4 to their 10-8 ..... in a year's time they won't get near us.
The comeback effort today was almost as good as the Sydney win, great effort boys.
We need a ruckman.

AndrewP6
17-05-2015, 07:21 PM
1. We're made of stern stuff. I was expecting a blowout after quarter time.
2. You shoukldnt rush players back from injury (though I knew that already really) - Jong and Wallis
3. We need a real ruckman. If Bevo is adamant that Will isn't it, we need to get one who is. Cordy is probably the only ruck who plays better when he's not in the ruck.

Go_Dogs
17-05-2015, 08:40 PM
1. Last week was a down one for whatever reason, but I'm confident we can respond week after week and tough it out until we take control and play our brand.

2. More of our 1-3 year players will need rests shortly.

3. We need a bigger spread of goal kickers every week than what we had today. Wallis and Jong were doing this before their injuries, hopefully it's back soon.

G-Mo77
17-05-2015, 08:43 PM
1. We have a good defence. It was one of my biggest fears going into this season and without Morris they've performed very well. Roberts coming in and doing some good work has added depth as well.
2. Always Right is right on this. Easton Wood is AA right now.
3. Hurts to lose but it's a positive to feel that burn after being numb from losses for so long. This team is going places.

ratsmac
17-05-2015, 09:02 PM
1. I know Bevo doesn't care much for the ruck position but after today I hope this changes his mind somewhat. It probably cost us 4 points in the end. Minson would have also got beat on the ruck stats sheet against Sandy but the Freo midfielder would of had to work a little bit harder for their possessions.

2. JJ has serious pace (I did know that already) but he is brimming with confidence atm. He is showing all the signs that we first saw a couple years ago. It's good to see.

3. Dickson is a clever player who can kick bags of goals. When Dickson, Stringer and Boyd all fire together, wow, just wow!

always right
17-05-2015, 09:16 PM
1. I know Bevo doesn't care much for the ruck position but after today I hope this changes his mind somewhat. It probably cost us 4 points in the end. Minson would have also got beat on the ruck stats sheet against Sandy but the Freo midfielder would of had to work a little bit harder for their possessions.

2. JJ has serious pace (I did know that already) but he is brimming with confidence atm. He is showing all the signs that we first saw a couple years ago. It's good to see.

3. Dickson is a clever player who can kick bags of goals. When Dickson, Stringer and Boyd all fire together, wow, just wow!

What did you think contributed more to our loss.......the ruck dominance of Freo or our delivery into Johnston......er, sorry....I mean our forward line?

Remi Moses
17-05-2015, 09:28 PM
3. Fletcher Roberts looks like he'll get there
( we've gone from having no key backs to having a plethora )
2. We need a decent strong ruck who can get around the ground .
1. Tory Dickson getting of the leash with the attention on Jake and Tom B

Footnote- great to see the best soccer team in the country win the league

The Doctor
17-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Footnote- great to see the best soccer team in the country win the league

Glenorchy Knights?

Remi Moses
17-05-2015, 09:45 PM
Glenorchy Knights?

Definitely not the Melbourne Knights

ratsmac
17-05-2015, 10:21 PM
What did you think contributed more to our loss.......the ruck dominance of Freo or our delivery into Johnston......er, sorry....I mean our forward line?

Yeah that was definitely an area where we failed today. We just have to lower our eyes a bit more heading into our forward line. Freo did this a few times today especially the last one to Walters which iced the game. We panicked in the last where they didn't. Youth V experience.

LostDoggy
17-05-2015, 11:02 PM
1. Freo are the land of the giants, we need to get much bigger and stronger
2. Still have a lot of work to do with our decision making, too many kicks to 2 on 1s, hospital handballs
3. Bailey Dale is going to be great to watch for a long time

Greystache
17-05-2015, 11:04 PM
1. When we can allow Dickson the freedom to spend more time so in the forward line we are far more dangerous. Or forward line is just about the perfect mix, probably just lacks another key forward.

2. We can fight back when things don't start or way. This group has done metal (excluding last week's second half.

3. We are improving extremely quickly. The rise may not be far off.

Maddog37
18-05-2015, 03:44 PM
1. Koby Stevens has a higher ceiling than I anticipated and is hard as a cats head.

2. We learn very quickly as a team and implement changes from week to week now.

3. Our back six is going to look ok without Morris and Murph.

whythelongface
18-05-2015, 03:54 PM
1. Wood and Dickson were magnificent yesterday and have really cemented their spots in the team this year. Kudos to these guys.

2. Our team are thereabouts and will be serious contenders. It is hard to believe how hard they played for such a young group especially against a much more experienced team who have at least a couple of years extra body development and AFL fitness behind them.

3. I thought we were dead for all money when it was 30-0 midway through the first. That was an enormous step to come back from that position against one of the favourites for the flag. It was disappointing losing, however I take great heart from the way the team was able to tough it out and get back into the game. That was one helluva performance. They talk about honorable losses well this was as honorable as they come.

Mofra
18-05-2015, 05:06 PM
1. We are mentally tougher than I remember for a long time. A big lead against the top team and we kept fighting.

2. If anyone said last year we'd be 4 and 2 before round 7 and we'll push the top undefeated team all the way despite losing our top 3 in the B&F nobody would have believed them.

3. I really worry about life post-Murphy. Twinkle-toes still has it but none of our developing defenders play the same way.

Sedat
18-05-2015, 05:10 PM
3. I really worry about life post-Murphy. Twinkle-toes still has it but none of our developing defenders play the same way.
Call be a cock-eyed optimist, but on Friday night I saw Brent Harvey at 37yo and Dustin Fletcher at 40yo still plying their trade more than adequately enough at this level. I can see Bob doing the same thing - he is a wiry build and hasn't lost any of his pace, skill and evasiveness. He will be a year to year proposition but I can see Bob playing at this level for another 2-3 years, injuries notwithstanding.

boydogs
18-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Call be a cock-eyed optimist, but on Friday night I saw Brent Harvey at 37yo and Dustin Fletcher at 40yo still plying their trade more than adequately enough at this level. I can see Bob doing the same thing - he is a wiry build and hasn't lost any of his pace, skill and evasiveness. He will be a year to year proposition but I can see Bob playing at this level for another 2-3 years, injuries notwithstanding.

He had a lot of trouble with his knees in his late 20's which lead to the move down back, I hope you're right though

Ghost Dog
18-05-2015, 07:21 PM
1. We were very efficient with kicking yesterday. In the McCartney era that was a real achilles. Greatwork.
2. JJ is a key part of our defence. His run is really important.
3. While it didn't really work, I was glad to see The Boss try and make some tactical decisions, creative ones, to negate Sandy.

Greystache
18-05-2015, 08:19 PM
He had a lot of trouble with his knees in his late 20's which lead to the move down back, I hope you're right though

From memory wasn't that due to misdiagnosed patella tendinitis after his reconstruction that they eventually discovered was a cyst on the underside of the tendon?

He hasn't seemed to have any trouble since then.

LostDoggy
18-05-2015, 09:12 PM

Ssshhhh. Don't put the mozz on.

boydogs
18-05-2015, 09:51 PM
From memory wasn't that due to misdiagnosed patella tendinitis after his reconstruction that they eventually discovered was a cyst on the underside of the tendon?

He hasn't seemed to have any trouble since then.

Didn't know that, thanks

Greystache
18-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Didn't know that, thanks

Happy to stand corrected but I remember reading it. It may have also been a cover up for the fact he was seeing James Hird's nutritional advisor :D

LostDoggy
18-05-2015, 11:03 PM
You do not need a ruckman against Freo. Just need to pressure their midfield and read their taps better.

Freo are a very well coached and disciplined team though they do a lot of 'holding on' away from the umpires' vision.

Positivity works wonders.