PDA

View Full Version : Infamous Bulldog Suspensions.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2015, 09:04 PM
What comes to mind at the most infamous, worst, unfair or most serious in your mind?

I'm reading wiki on VFL/AFL suspensions and our Wally Warden got 22 weeks for kicking in 1928. Anyone know anything about it, it must have been something massive!

azabob
15-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Todd Curley, 4 weeks

chef
15-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Chris Grant.

Webby
15-05-2015, 09:23 PM
In the old days, kicking was considered lower than the low. Even an ankle tap. A kick of any sort would've easily resulted in a season long suspension. It was an absolute no-no. I doubt it would've been anything earth shattering.

The cultural difference between Australian attitudes to kicking (lowest, most cowardly act) and the Irish attitude towards it (probably seen as less inflammatory than a punch) led to some interesting International Rules matches in the 1980's!

They'd kick one of ours in the leg, and one of ours would throw a fist to the face... The result was extreme violence!

always right
15-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Southern.....last round in 1997. May just have cost us the premiership.

merantau
15-05-2015, 10:13 PM
George Bisset - cost him a Brownlow, I believe, but I could be wrong as it was a long time ago. Chris Grant's suspension was outrageous. One of the fairest champions ever to play the game. Week-in week-out defenders hung off him like baubles on a Christmas tree. Did he complain, did he squeal? No, he just got on with the game. He made fools of many of the hapless chumps who tried to curb his brilliance. In years to come many old men and women will be proud to tell their grandchildren: "I saw him play."

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-05-2015, 10:41 PM
George Bisset - cost him a Brownlow, I believe, but I could be wrong as it was a long time ago. Chris Grant's suspension was outrageous. One of the fairest champions ever to play the game. Week-in week-out defenders hung off him like baubles on a Christmas tree. Did he complain, did he squeal? No, he just got on with the game. He made fools of many of the hapless chumps who tried to curb his brilliance. In years to come many old men and women will be proud to tell their grandchildren: "I saw him play."

In Bissets day you only had to be reported to be out of the Brownlow. He was BOG in that game, was cleared at the tribunal but was ineligible. My first experience of the injustices we face at the tribunal

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-05-2015, 10:42 PM
George Bisset lost the Brownlow by 1 vote to Kevin Murray in 1969. He had kicked 6 goals against Carlton in a BOG performance but didn't get an Umpire's vote after being reported on a striking charge which the Tribunal eventually threw out.

merantau
15-05-2015, 10:53 PM
George Bisset lost the Brownlow by 1 vote to Kevin Murray in 1969. He had kicked 6 goals against Carlton in a BOG performance but didn't get an Umpire's vote after being reported on a striking charge which the Tribunal eventually threw out.
Thanks for the heads up on that one - injustice heaped upon injustice eh. Wee Georgie - what a bundle of mischief. Was known to go to the Rosamond Road Drive-in on his horse and cart

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Todd Curley, 4 weeks

Reduced from eight weeks I think

Twodogs
15-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Remeber Chris Grant being suspended by the insurance company due to concerns about nerve damage (I think)in his neck? Anyone remember if he missed a game at all? It unfolded in the week leading up to the season opener IIRC.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2015, 11:08 PM

Another learned rip off. That post needs an unlike button.

SonofScray
15-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Southern wrestling charge.
Grant v collo
Todd Curley. Had his career ruined by s precious umpire.

bornadog
15-05-2015, 11:48 PM

I remember that one quiet well as those days the umpires wouldn't give you a vote if they reported you, it was guilty till proven innocent. Bisset was robbed and deserved that Brownlow.

Jeanette54
16-05-2015, 07:38 PM
I remember that one quiet well as those days the umpires wouldn't give you a vote if they reported you, it was guilty till proven innocent. Bisset was robbed and deserved that Brownlow.

I remember Wee Georgie getting reported for hitting Carl Ditterich one day at Moorabin. He was pretty angry, and I think the umpire saved Big Carl from a severe mauling at George's hands. Carl hit EJ after he got rid of the ball, but I don't think that Carl expected one of our smallest pups to settle the score.

I also seem to remember one of our players getting 9 weeks for running into an umpire (it wasn't intentional). I am sure someone here can tell us who that was.

Twodogs
16-05-2015, 09:15 PM
I remember Wee Georgie getting reported for hitting Carl Ditterich one day at Moorabin. He was pretty angry, and I think the umpire saved Big Carl from a severe mauling at George's hands. Carl hit EJ after he got rid of the ball, but I don't think that Carl expected one of our smallest pups to settle the score.

I also seem to remember one of our players getting 9 weeks for running into an umpire (it wasn't intentional). I am sure someone here can tell us who that was.

Heh! Big Carl meets a Braybrook boy for the first time. I love it,

Drunken Bum
17-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Remeber Chris Grant being suspended by the insurance company due to concerns about nerve damage (I think)in his neck? Anyone remember if he missed a game at all? It unfolded in the week leading up to the season opener IIRC.

Missed a fair bit of the pre season is my recollection, couldn't even train with the club? don't think he missed any games for premiership points but could be wrong

Happy Days
17-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Ryan Hargrave getting a week for sending Heath Black's jaw into orbit was wrong for all the right reasons.

Drunken Bum
17-05-2015, 08:37 PM

Todd Curley, pretty much ended his career is the general consensus, was in decent nick up til then but never got back in any real form from there on and faded away pretty much

ReLoad
17-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Todd Curley, pretty much ended his career is the general consensus, was in decent nick up til then but never got back in any real form from there on and faded away pretty much

Don't know if anyone travelled to Adelaide the game following is suspension but we made a huge "Free Todd Curley" banner.

We got beat from memory and I got even more of a beating when my GF at the time noticed we were a queen sized flat sheet short about 3 weeks later ;)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-05-2015, 09:12 AM
I remember buckets being passed around at training to pay for Southern's fine

bulldogtragic
18-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Don't know if anyone travelled to Adelaide the game following is suspension but we made a huge "Free Todd Curley" banner.

We got beat from memory and I got even more of a beating when my GF at the time noticed we were a queen sized flat sheet short about 3 weeks later ;)

Could be the funniest thing I've ever read on WOOF. :)

dadsgirl16
18-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Chris Grant...Will NEVER forgive that Carlton pr.ck!

Sedat
18-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Reduced from eight weeks I think
Was 4 weeks down to 2. I went to high school with the umpire he ran into, Keiran Nicholls. Was quite the tosser back then and didn't improve when he became an umpire.

Twodogs
18-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Missed a fair bit of the pre season is my recollection, couldn't even train with the club? don't think he missed any games for premiership points but could be wrong

That sounds right. He missed a big chunk of the preseason.

Twodogs
18-05-2015, 06:24 PM
I remember buckets being passed around at training to pay for Southern's fine

They covered it too. Ten grand. The fine was going to wipe out all money he earned after tax that season.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2015, 06:24 PM
That sounds right. He missed a big chunk of the preseason.

He, the club and the PA were going to sue weren't they if they continued to stop hm?

Twodogs
18-05-2015, 11:18 PM
He, the club and the PA were going to sue weren't they if they continued to stop hm?

That's right. The threat of legal action saw them get a new medical opinion.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2015, 11:34 PM
That's right. The threat of legal action saw them get a new medical opinion.

Funny in cases of medical related insurance companies how people with law degrees can change the final stuff that people with medical degrees say.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2015, 11:37 PM
What comes to mind at the most infamous, worst, unfair or most serious in your mind?

I'm reading wiki on VFL/AFL suspensions and our Wally Warden got 22 weeks for kicking in 1928. Anyone know anything about it, it must have been something massive!

We must have stupid players. Wally should've kicked the player from the ground, and then it's tripping with low force and a 3 pence fine... 22 weeks suspension in deed.

Doggy
19-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Was 4 weeks down to 2. I went to high school with the umpire he ran into, Keiran Nicholls. Was quite the tosser back then and didn't improve when he became an umpire.

Kieron is my son in law.

I've mentioned before on this forum that it was taken out of Kieron's hands by Jeff Gieschen who was the umpires boss at the time. Kieron did not make a report on the day and it was Gieschen pulling all the strings.

You might think he's a tosser and he probably thinks the same about you.

Mofra
19-05-2015, 05:50 PM
We need a counter-thread to this: Infamous Bulldog non-suspensions.

Koly would have the first 25 entries, he knew what he was doing at home games ;)

Maddog37
19-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Kieron is my son in law.

I've mentioned before on this forum that it was taken out of Kieron's hands by Jeff Gieschen who was the umpires boss at the time. Kieron did not make a report on the day and it was Gieschen pulling all the strings.

Awkwaaaard!!!!!!!

Doggy
19-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Awkwaaaard!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha, like I've said before his two daughters are now Doggies supporters, so he's not all that bad

Sedat
19-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Kieron is my son in law.

Glad he's a good son-in-law for you Doggy. However I stand by my assertion that he was a tosser in high school, and that he was not a particularly good umpire during his time in the AFL. Purely subjective of course.

Throughandthrough
19-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Glad he's a good son-in-law for you Doggy. However I stand by my assertion that he was a tosser in high school, and that he was not a particularly good umpire during his time in the AFL. Purely subjective of course.

Probably not the most diplomatic post on this site.

Doggy
19-05-2015, 09:23 PM

Over 150 games at AFL level tells me that he was a good umpire.

You can stand by your assertion, it means nothing to me and would be water off a ducks back to him especially as it's coming from an anonymous poster.

Twodogs
19-05-2015, 10:34 PM
OK, Everyone concerned has had their say. It might be politic to drop the topic now. There is nothing but trouble in it.

bornadog
19-05-2015, 11:29 PM
OK, Everyone concerned has had their say. It might be politic to drop the topic now. There is nothing but trouble in it.

Just goes to show you have to be careful what you say on a public forum.

Twodogs
19-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Just goes to show you have to be careful what you say on a public forum.

Sure does.

Maddog37
20-05-2015, 10:36 AM
My theory is if you wouldn't say it in the real world then don't say it online.

Throughandthrough
20-05-2015, 11:27 AM
anyways. Tony Liberatore got suspended a few times. The eye gouging wasn't a good look.