PDA

View Full Version : AFL to reintroduce recruiting zones?

Twodogs
22-05-2015, 11:34 AM
The AFL is considering reintroducing recruiting zones.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-22/afl-may-consider-reintroducing-recruiting-zones-for-all-18-clubs

I'm looking forward to us getting a small part of Antartica for us to develop and recruit players from.

ratsmac
22-05-2015, 01:23 PM
I can see the bigger clubs wrought the system with this.

Cyberdoggie
22-05-2015, 01:38 PM
I can see so many issues with this proposal, and the only reason for would be to give the northern states their academies while appeasing others.

The Underdog
22-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I like spitballing ideas and thinking outside the square, but if an idea is rubbish, then it's rubbish. This idea is rubbish

jeemak
22-05-2015, 02:05 PM
I look forward to a fair and equitable outcome, and then in twenty years time the national draft system as it currently stands being reinstated.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2015, 02:11 PM
I look forward to a fair and equitable outcome, and then in twenty years time the national draft system as it currently stands being reinstated.

Maybe I don't see it, but I don't know what the problem is with this. Any player the club wanted would still have to be bid upon under the same rules as the father/son academy.. So any club with a supreme talent at their junior club who indicates they want to draft them.. they're going to have to bid market value for them...and in the cases of rare talent, obtaining them will mean, losing their 1st round pick, and having 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks moved to the end of the draft, and possibly even having to trade out players to secure necessary picks.
I'm not saying green-light it, but I'm not sure it's as bad as what some are saying.

jeemak
22-05-2015, 02:20 PM
To be honest I haven't looked at the detail.

It's just that the AFL seems to have a happy knack of innovating in a way that helps its own agenda at the expense of certain clubs, whilst providing advantages to some clubs at the expense of certain clubs.

Remi Moses
22-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Tom Alvin says hello

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Tom Alvin says hello
Except under the proposal The Cheats would have had to give up some nice draft picks to get him.

Twodogs
22-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Alvin threatened a Restraint of trade action and the VFL buckled from memory. I think we did get a player or a form 4 from Carlton from memory. It'll come to me.

Twodogs
22-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Playing the long game it might turn out for the best. When they fix it they might return to a decent version.

Problem is we've got some good kids coming up who've been in the club Acadamy for a while.

Webby
22-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Alvin threatened a Restraint of trade action and the VFL buckled from memory. I think we did get a player or a form 4 from Carlton from memory. It'll come to me.

Robbert Klomp?? I know we got Sewell's form 4 for Bruce Reid. Phil Maylin came later, but could've been him..?

Twodogs
22-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Robbert Klomp?? I know we got Sewell's form 4 for Bruce Reid. Phil Maylin came later, but could've been him..?

Could have been Klomp. He came mid season so it might have been in the deal for him.

Sedat
22-05-2015, 03:20 PM
To be honest I haven't looked at the detail.

It's just that the AFL seems to have a happy knack of innovating in a way that helps its own agenda at the expense of certain clubs, whilst providing advantages to some clubs at the expense of certain clubs.
I share your thoughts Jeemak. I have lost all trust in the AFL being able to manage the game in such a way that benefits all stakeholders as equally as possible.