PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Vs the Dees Memories

HOSE B ROMERO
22-05-2015, 07:36 PM
If i was older it would obviously be that September day 61 years ago, but here are some others.

1983 Dogs play Demons at the MCG with Templeton wearing a Melbourne guernsey... urgh.

1985 Western Oval and a rampaging dogs unit spanks a lacklustre Melbourne with the Pieman bagging a lazy dozen. I remember watching the last quarter from the Barkly street end and thinking 'how is this so easy?' And i've never seen us do it that easy since!

1994 Semi final. I think we started favourites in this one but they absolutely poleaxed us. Garry Lyon finished with 10. I remember sitting near the fence in the Olympic stand and Jimmy Stynes was on the interchange bench and was running along the boundary line and then just stood in front of us. Well that was too much for one bloke who yelled out 'Stynes, get out of the f*****' way'. Not the greatest afternoon.

Memories anyone?

Jeanette54
22-05-2015, 08:35 PM
I remember the Dees giving us a hiding on my fifth birthday, way back in 1959.

We scored 3.6 for the game; they ran riot at a cold and miserable Western Oval.

I also remember that my present from my Great Grandmother (who lived in Pickett Street) was a bulldog towel.

The year before she had stopped by the fruit shop and had EJ sign my birthday card. Footballers had regular jobs in those days.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-05-2015, 08:40 PM
I remember the Dees giving us a hiding on my fifth birthday, way back in 1959.

We scored 3.6 for the game; they ran riot at a cold and miserable Western Oval.

I also remember that my present from my Great Grandmother (who lived in Pickett Street) was a bulldog towel.

The year before she had stopped by the fruit shop and had EJ sign my birthday card. Footballers had regular jobs in those days.

Hey Jeanette, i wouldn't mind having that towel if you still have it. Could be worth a bit!
EJ working in a fruit shop... no, wouldn't expect to see Tommy Boyd weighing my potatoes anytime soon. ;)

Twodogs
22-05-2015, 09:38 PM
'81 or '82, Whitten oval. After a close game in the only match of the year we might win we are leading by 4 points late in the last when Robbie Flower takes a screamer in the goal square at the Geelong road end and goes back and dobs the winner. A mate and me, I looked over and their were tears (of frustration I'm sure) in my mates eyes. I mentioned it in a caring and subtle way, I think I yelled "haha, you're crying" and pointed at him, and he claimed that dust was in his eyes. Anyway it made me feel a little bit better.

Amazingly we didn't win the spoon that year. Melbourne did. They won one game, against us, and we won two, against Melbourne and Hawthorn who were runners up to Carlton. Of course Carlton winning the premiership makes this all a very long time ago.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-05-2015, 10:09 PM
'81 or '82, Whitten oval. After a close game in the only match of the year we might win we are leading by 4 points late in the last when Robbie Flower takes a screamer in the goal square at the Geelong road end and goes back and dobs the winner. A mate and me, I looked over and their were tears (of frustration I'm sure) in my mates eyes. I mentioned it in a caring and subtle way, I think I yelled "haha, you're crying" and pointed at him, and he claimed that dust was in his eyes. Anyway it made me feel a little bit better.

Amazingly we didn't win the spoon that year. Melbourne did. They won one game, against us, and we won two, against Melbourne and Hawthorn who were runners up to Carlton. Of course Carlton winning the premiership makes this all a very long time ago.

Ha, ha twodogs, i'm sure your mate really, really appreciated your concern...:rolleyes:

Actually another game i forgot to mention was Round 22, 1987.

Whitten oval and i think we had an outside chance of making the finals. As did Melbourne who had to win and rely on the result of Geelong vs Hawthorn going their way. The dees had a chance of playing in their first finals series since their last premiership in '64.

Lo and behold to my disappointment, the Dees got up. But the highlight for me was jumping on the train at West Footscray and this big Demon supporter jumped on the other end of the carriage and just bellowed 'I'm so happy'! And i was actually rapt for the guy, because i knew how much it meant to him.

bornadog
22-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Actually another game i forgot to mention was Round 22, 1987.

I was there with a Melbourne mate, and the Melbourne crowd were listening to the game in Geelong as the result there would make the difference to who made the final 5. Amazing scenes n that last quarter.

westdog54
22-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Round 15 1998 at Optus Oval.

Sitting second on the ladder, equal with StKilda on Points, we go into the 3rd quarter a goal down, in a dour, low scoring affair.

The Ground announcer tells the crowd that StKilda are getting flogged by North up the road, and that top spot is up for the taking.

The players respond, kicking 6 goals to two in the last for an 18 point win. An ecstatic David Smorgon walked through the Heatley Terrace yelling 'Top of the Ladder!' at the top of his voice.

The whole family was there and it was a great car ride home.

Pickenitup
22-05-2015, 11:24 PM
1994 Round 23 Western oval I was just a kid dees had a great start to game beautiful sunny day and we clawed our way back into the game and had a memorable win.By the way Luke Beveridge played his best game for us that day.

The Underdog
22-05-2015, 11:31 PM
2005 Rd 21 - Jeff *!*!*!*!ing White

Remi Moses
22-05-2015, 11:58 PM
I was there with a Melbourne mate, and the Melbourne crowd were listening to the game in Geelong as the result there would make the difference to who made the final 5. Amazing scenes n that last quarter.

Melbourne supporters were pulling up around Footscray asking directions to the Western Oval.
Ricky Jackson flukey snap went through I knew we were toast.
Sad to see KT not being able to kick more than 30 metres in 85.
The 1994 win was a ripper, with our current coach kicking the match winning goal.

ratsmac
23-05-2015, 12:05 AM
2014, Round 15, late in the 4th quarter, scores level, the dogs need something special, up steps The Bont playing just his eighth game, takes the ball out of Frawley's hands twice, twists, turns, breaks 15 tackles and kicks a blinder from the boundary to win the premiership..... I wish! The Bont also gets 3 brownlow votes.

boydogs
23-05-2015, 12:14 AM
2005 Rd 21 - Jeff *!*!*!*!ing White

Beat me to it. I blame the umps though - if anyone was closer to the ball than Russell Robertson that day they paid a shepherding free. Ben Holland was also big in the last quarter

bornadog
23-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Beat me to it. I blame the umps though - if anyone was closer to the ball than Russell Robertson that day they paid a shepherding free. Ben Holland was also big in the last quarter

We were robbed and should have played finals.

HOSE B ROMERO
23-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Round 15 1998 at Optus Oval.

Sitting second on the ladder, equal with StKilda on Points, we go into the 3rd quarter a goal down, in a dour, low scoring affair.

The Ground announcer tells the crowd that StKilda are getting flogged by North up the road, and that top spot is up for the taking.

The players respond, kicking 6 goals to two in the last for an 18 point win. An ecstatic David Smorgon walked through the Heatley Terrace yelling 'Top of the Ladder!' at the top of his voice.

The whole family was there and it was a great car ride home.

Good one Westdog. Loved sitting in the Heatley with the timber flooring. Used to make a great racket when the team was on a roll!