PDA

View Full Version : Reality Test

bulldogtragic
24-05-2015, 06:57 PM
9 of the last 10 quarters of footy have seen a net loss about 131 points negative (62 Saints, 39 Dees, 30 Freo). Despite all three games being within 2 goals in the last quarters.

I think these numbers speak for themselves.

Eastdog
25-05-2015, 12:21 AM
While we are definitely capable of playing 4 quarters of footy we don't do it all the time. We play well in patches and bad in other patches. Will get better as our side gets more fitter and experienced. We still have a very young side so its not that surprising.

azabob
25-05-2015, 09:18 AM
What do they say? Not being smart, actually interested in what you believe our issue is?

Can you also do the same comparison over 12 quarters?

Rocket Science
25-05-2015, 10:00 AM
FWIW we've won just 2 of 8 fourth quarters to date, equal or better than only Carlton (2), St Kilda (2) and Port (1).

Hardly auspicious company but untimely injuries have interfered late in games and young, battered bodies that aren't yet battle-hardened naturally tire.

We're breathtaking when playing the frenetic, swarming style we showed a month ago but you'd hope we're also working on being able to orchestrate results by calmly shifting gears as necessary, as quality sides do.

Eastdog
25-05-2015, 07:16 PM
What is the solution. I love the attacking style of play we employ on teams and the pressure footy but we can't sustain this all year. We need to be able to slow the game down better and still control it well. When it comes back on us we aren't too flash. Our skills need to still improve - it really hurts us.

LostDoggy
26-05-2015, 06:36 PM
We've played one way (contested, tempo focus) and now the other (fast, frenetic footy) and as they mature and the list develops we'll start putting all the pieces together. I'm not freaking out just yet.

I was pretty dirty on the weekend's result, and banned myself from WOOF until today, but when I'm honest with myself, I have to admit it was totally expected at the start of the season that this would happen. We simply let the great start get us carried away, just as happened with the great finish in 2013.

comrade
26-05-2015, 08:19 PM
We've played one way (contested, tempo focus) and now the other (fast, frenetic footy) and as they mature and the list develops we'll start putting all the pieces together. I'm not freaking out just yet.

I was pretty dirty on the weekend's result, and banned myself from WOOF until today, but when I'm honest with myself, I have to admit it was totally expected at the start of the season that this would happen. We simply let the great start get us carried away, just as happened with the great finish in 2013.

Expectation is the cause of all heartache.

If you look at our list profile and the average games per player on the weekend, we were the least experienced team out there.

Of all 18 sides.

If we're getting these type of results in 2 years, then we have every right to crack the sads. I'm confident that in 2 years, we'll be pretty pleased with how we're travelling.