PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 9 Edition

Eastdog
28-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Once the Round 9 match against GWS Giants is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Bump

westbulldog
30-05-2015, 08:42 PM
With Will Minson in we may have been 7-2
Easton Wood is an All-Australian half back this year.
Bob Murphy has brought this group together very very well.

always right
30-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Easton Wood is an offensive and defensive weapon.

Easton Wood's marking is at an all time high standard.

I don't care what last year's stats say. Easton Wood is our best one on one player. I love it when the opposition kicks the ball in his direction one out against an opponent.

boydogs
30-05-2015, 09:32 PM
1. Hamling is ready made, he may need to bulk up to play on some opponents but he picked up the pace of the game well and didn't look out of place
2. Teams find it very difficult to get through us when our pressure game is going, no matter how good they are
3. Mitch Wallis won't let his limitations get in the way of him being a quality player

Jeanette54
30-05-2015, 09:39 PM
1. We are a much tougher proposition at stoppages (without the inequitable hit outs) when our midfielders aren't trying to second guess the oppositions ruckmen.

2. Matty Boyd, Easton Wood, Murph and JJ constitute the most attacking backline in the game.

3. Our VFL players all play a part when called on to do so.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2015, 09:53 PM
1. Wood is All Australian. He can do everything - such a reliable, strong, athletic, smart, fast player.

2. The Minson/Roughy combo works best. At times the latter will be needed down back but we have some defensive options to cover him IMO.

3. Hamling can become a good player. Good first game on one of the game's best forwards.

Remi Moses
30-05-2015, 09:59 PM
1) When we show intensity and effort, we are a real problem.
2) Wood JJ and Liam picken have improved markedly
3) they won't get the four years out of Whatshisname

Avoid the rush
30-05-2015, 10:24 PM
1) Great work by the coach taking the pressure off T. Boyd saying he might not play. Brilliant!
2) Gotta play Jarrod Grant. He set up a few goals and love his hard running and x factor
3) Eastern Wood has arrived !!!!

westdog54
30-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Easton Wood will be AA this year. Remarkable story.

Koby Stevens is a far better footballer than I've given him credit for.

It's official. We have our new sworn enemy. There was some spirit on the field and even more in the crowd.

F'scary
30-05-2015, 11:00 PM
1. We missed Minson full-stop "."
2. The Minson and Roughead ruck combo gives us a dimension we have been missing.
3. Having two good ruckmen changing in the forward pocket takes the pressure of Toyd and helps to cover for the fact we are basically playing without a CHF.

Remi Moses
30-05-2015, 11:01 PM
2. The Minson and Roughead ruck combo gives us a dimension we have been missing.
3. Having two good ruckmen changing in the forward pocket takes the pressure of Toyd and helps to cover for the fact we are basically playing without a CHF.

Realistically though who plays with a CHF?
It's a series of mids and smalls and mid size talls

G-Mo77
30-05-2015, 11:02 PM

I take it you liked the Rucks today. :)

AndrewP6
30-05-2015, 11:19 PM
1. Microphone Head can contribute something (and is a much better nickname than Spindleshanks)
2. The "Ayce is a ruckman" experiment should never be repeated. Will was great value.
3. We can have players out and still be damaging.

LostDoggy
30-05-2015, 11:36 PM
1. The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.
2. Our players aren't just at a job. This club means something to them.
3. You can not buy heart.

G-Mo77
30-05-2015, 11:41 PM
1. Microphone Head can contribute something (and is a much better nickname than Spindleshanks)

That is gold. ;)

jeemak
31-05-2015, 02:32 AM
Realistically though who plays with a CHF?
It's a series of mids and smalls and mid size talls

It's a position pretty much reserved for the bigger, wider grounds like the G - where it can take four kicks to get from 30m from the defensive goal to the full forward line, with space out wide for tall forwards to lead into. At Docklands and the narrow grounds there's less need for a CHF due to the ground dimensions, and the ability of teams to block space on them

whythelongface
31-05-2015, 07:59 AM
1. Roughead, structurally, is our most important player-he can play defensive, ruck and forward
2. The decision to send Matty Boyd back to the HBF has been a master stroke.
3. Mitch Wallis stepped up another level yesterday and has really developed as a player.

comrade
31-05-2015, 08:44 AM
1. I've banged on about this for a while, but yesterday was further proof that Roughy will be our long term ruck solution. Covers the ground, better hands than the vast majority of big men and after years of defending, is prepared to do the dirty work at ground level. Now we need to lock in our defensive structure but I'm pleased with the signs Roberts is showing.

2. Luke Dahlhaus is an absolute warrior who gets pounded from pillar to post but never stops attacking contests. The amount of times he propelled us forward was phenomenal.

3. Tony Shaw is a total dill. 'Matt Boyd at HBF hasn't really worked so far this year'...um ok.

westdog54
31-05-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm going to add a number 4:

Roughy could be Scott Wynd reborn.

Big call?

G-Mo77
31-05-2015, 09:36 AM
3. Tony Shaw is a total dill. 'Matt Boyd at HBF hasn't really worked so far this year'...um ok.

Surely you're not just learning this now comrade.;)

comrade
31-05-2015, 09:37 AM

Big call?

I can see it. That mark he took in congestion floating back was totally Wynd-esque.

And...

Some of his tap work was elite yesterday, just jumped over Mumford with ease and spoon fed it to our mids. Did it last week, too.

I'm excited.

ratsmac
31-05-2015, 09:42 AM
1. Roughead's best position just may well be the ruck.

2. The mass exodus last year was a blessing in disguise.

3. Wood is fast becoming a really good player.

ratsmac
31-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Easton Wood is an offensive and defensive weapon.

Easton Wood's marking is at an all time high standard.

I don't care what last year's stats say. Easton Wood is our best one on one player. I love it when the opposition kicks the ball in his direction one out against an opponent.

Sounds like you love wood!

chef
31-05-2015, 10:36 AM

A wood over Wood:D

always right
31-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Who doesn't?

EasternWest
31-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Who doesn't?

The thing I love about Wood is that he wasn't a great player when he came to us. He was a good athlete but a raw footballer.

It's a testament to him that he's becoming the player he us. He embodies what inspires me to love football. A guy who tries his guts out to overcome his limitations.

I've always been hopeful for him, and now I'm just happy to see him getting reward for effort.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2015, 11:32 AM
1. Bevo has former mid range players stepping up, ie Wood, Grant, Dicko, JJ etc
2. Last off season incoming players are repaying the faith with Biggs, Hamling, Webb and Dale already debuting. And some others impressing the VFL.
3. I've processed the Gryphon treachery now. If we'd lost it would probably be different, but hes nothing to me.

hujsh
31-05-2015, 02:09 PM

Mooney was the only one (not including Huddo who calls the game) who seemed to actually know anything about the 2015 Dogs. Even when Roughead started in the ruck they didn't seem to realise until a while later and assumed Minson had rucked the entire time.

It was meant to be the GWS show yesterday and I'm very happy we upset that narrative.

F'scary
31-05-2015, 02:16 PM

Big call?

Massive but aspirational call.

westdog54
31-05-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm reading all these posts about players who have improved, and there's a distinct lack of Koby Stevens throughout.

The improvement in his execution and decision making has been astronomical.

Maddog37
31-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Sorry to go off topic but which players do people think have gone backwards under Bev?

bulldogtragic
31-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Sorry to go off topic but which players do people think have gone backwards under Bev?

Hunter? Campbell?

Flamethrower
31-05-2015, 06:54 PM
1. We have 4 good key position defenders in Rough, Talia, Fletch & Hamling. We are well placed once the Glove retires & also allows us to use Rough as a ruckman and/or swingman.

2. Mitch Wallis may be our next captain, if it isn't Rough. Bob had many years left though.

3. Ryan Griffen's demons have followed him to the western suburbs of Sydney. Looks like he would rather be anywhere but playing in the AFL.

ratsmac
31-05-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm reading all these posts about players who have improved, and there's a distinct lack of Koby Stevens throughout.

Fair call. He has definitely improved his disposal and most importantly his decision making. His 'hospital' passes are getting less and less. I don't know if it's just maturity or something he has worked hard on but he has been playing good football this year without setting the world on fire.

ledge
31-05-2015, 07:19 PM
I have learnt we are still in the phase of our best can beat anyone and our worst anyone can beat us and its huge gap in between, we must learn to bring our best no matter who we play.

1eyedog
31-05-2015, 07:25 PM

Agreed he's turning into a bit of a beast. Dahl is a big improver too. He's just going from strength to strength.

Dancin' Douggy
31-05-2015, 07:56 PM
1. If Fletcher Roberts, Hamling and Talia can all become solid key defenders, we have perhaps the best young ruckman in the league waiting to emerge. Seriously. Roughead can be a major major weapon.

2. I know he has his flaws (those set shots were horrible...HORRIBLE!) but I just think we look more dangerous with J. Grant in the team. Someone on here called him microphone head which is brilliant. We can abbreviate that to 'mike'.

3. Easton Wood, Luke Dalhaus, Bob Murphy. All Australian form. And Tory Dixon.........well.........not too far off the pace either.

Dancin' Douggy
31-05-2015, 08:00 PM

I agree Westdog. His Radar needs to be tweaked a little though. So many of his handballs and kicks just land on the grass, a few inches in front of his intended target, making it hard work for the receiver instead of a routine mark or take. But gee, if he could improve that aspect of his game........he's an absolute gem. I mean he already kind of is I guess, but that little tweak would make him something special.

AndrewP6
31-05-2015, 08:03 PM
2. I know he has his flaws (those set shots were horrible...HORRIBLE!) but I just think we look more dangerous with J. Grant in the team. Someone on here called him microphone head which is brilliant. We can abbreviate that to 'mike'.

Me, although I must defer to Triple M's Garry Lyon. Lyon said he was speaking to someone at the club who called him that, and he thought it was funny, so he started using it. I think it's hilarious.

Dancin' Douggy
31-05-2015, 08:13 PM
I'm gonna call him MIKE from now on.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2015, 08:19 PM

I feel a JG supporters thread coming on, 'I Like Mike'.

EasternWest
31-05-2015, 09:17 PM
1. I just might have been wrong about Fletcher Roberts.

2. There's nothing quite like mental toughness. Mitch Wallis looked like a touch and go prospect early in his career. Now he's a man.

3. Picken is a born again footballer.

Webby
31-05-2015, 09:29 PM

I've been going with "Sloth" of late.

http://memerush.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/funny-sloth-meme.jpg

ratsmac
31-05-2015, 09:34 PM
1. I just might have been wrong about Fletcher Roberts.

2. There's nothing quite like mental toughness. Mitch Wallis looked like a touch and go prospect early in his career. Now he's a man.

3. Picken is a born again footballer.

How good has Picken been this year? He is having his best start to the season ever! Being released from tagging duties has given him a new lease on life.

Ghost Dog
31-05-2015, 10:19 PM
1. Ryan Griffo made the wrong decision. He knows it ( from his body language ) and seeing the successful young dogs march past him must be quite painful. Am I wrong? That's how I sensed it. But still, I don't feel the hate for him that others seem to. We have Tom Boyd, don't we? It turned out well for us.
2. Luke Dahlhaus is one of the tallest players in our club, mentally.
3. Easton Wood showed why a stat sheet tells only part of a story.

Webby
31-05-2015, 11:07 PM
I genuinely feel no hate whatsoever towards Griffen. However, as a club, when the CAPTAIN of your team walks, you cannot simply roll out the welcome mat and meekly let them saunter in expecting a few pleasantries and four points to boot. He willingly let a lot of people down, and when that happens, supporters HAVE TO provide a hostile reception if we have any collective spine as a club. Remember, this is not a tea party, it's football and there were 17 other clubs watching us yesterday.

The flag must be flown - by players, officials AND supporters. Even if it's slightly over the top theatrics. I wish Griffen and his family all the very best in life, but collectively, we had to provide the mother of all gauntlets for him yesterday. Anything less would've sent a very wrong message to the rest of the footy world.

EasternWest
01-06-2015, 12:21 AM
I reckon that's a pretty reasonable statement Webby.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2015, 12:32 AM
I genuinely feel no hate whatsoever towards Griffen. However, as a club, when the CAPTAIN of your team walks, you cannot simply roll out the welcome mat and meekly let them saunter in expecting a few pleasantries and four points to boot. He willingly let a lot of people down, and when that happens, supporters HAVE TO provide a hostile reception if we have any collective spine as a club. Remember, this is not a tea party, it's football and there were 17 other clubs watching us yesterday.

The flag must be flown - by players, officials AND supporters. Even if it's slightly over the top theatrics. I wish Griffen and his family all the very best in life, but collectively, we had to provide the mother of all gauntlets for him yesterday. Anything less would've sent a very wrong message to the rest of the footy world.

I see your point. Personally, I agree with Bevo. That flag flying stuff can distract and we needed to focus on winning the game, which we did. Piling on the goals is the best form of flag flying. He is a very good player anyway, and would need close checking irrespective of our history.

Happy Days
01-06-2015, 02:17 AM
1. Agree with the big calls on Roughy. Had as many hitouts to advantage as Mumford in splitting time yesterday. Silver service indeed.

2. Hamling can play. Biggs can't.

3. Tom Boyd is an absolute gun when left one out or in a contest, and does not do enough otherwise.

As an aside, how good is the bag potential of this side. Dickson almost got off the chain for another 7 yesterday, Stringer always looks like kicking 10 and it's obviously just around the corner for Boyd. I love going to the footy to watch what I *know* these guys can do, which hasn't been the paradigm for 5 or so years now.

Murphy'sLore
01-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Is this team playing under the 'Bevangelist'?

Picken, M. Boyd, our captain, now Roughy… all born again!

boydogs
01-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Biggs can't.

What did Biggs do or not do after being brought on 5 minutes into the last quarter to show you he can't play?

Happy Days
01-06-2015, 03:44 PM
What did Biggs do or not do after being brought on 5 minutes into the last quarter to show you he can't play?

This is a summation based on more than his game yesterday, which just reinforced what I already thought. His decision making is sub standard, and I fear for continued possession with the ball in his hands.

If he's going to make it, it won't be in the role we have been grooming him for. The harsh reality is that he isn't creative enough or a good enough kick. We have seen him succeed in a defensive role in the midfield, and if we choose to play this sort of player then that's his spot. However, Webb, Johannisen and Wood make him excess to need as a small defender, and he hasn't shown capacity to play loose in the AFL. His poor execution in a game largely lacking intensity when he entered it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Sometimes our players can be not good. It doesn't mean they're bad people or anything.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Is this team playing under the 'Bevangelist'?

Picken, M. Boyd, our captain, now Roughy… all born again!

Exactly. Ford Falcons became Porsches under the master mechanic. The Bevinator!

boydogs
01-06-2015, 08:22 PM
His poor execution in a game largely lacking intensity when he entered it stuck out like a sore thumb

Is there a play that sticks out in your mind? He had 6 possessions at 100% efficiency in less than a quarter of game time and I don't recall any errors

Happy Days
01-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Is there a play that sticks out in your mind? He had 6 possessions at 100% efficiency in less than a quarter of game time and I don't recall any errors

I'd have to rewatch the last quarter, but his switch kicking was very suspect. Kicking efficiency as a statistic is one of the biggest misnomers in the game.

LostDoggy
01-06-2015, 11:12 PM
1. Agree with the big calls on Roughy. Had as many hitouts to advantage as Mumford in splitting time yesterday. Silver service indeed.

2. Hamling can play. Biggs can't.

3. Tom Boyd is an absolute gun when left one out or in a contest, and does not do enough otherwise.

As an aside, how good is the bag potential of this side. Dickson almost got off the chain for another 7 yesterday, Stringer always looks like kicking 10 and it's obviously just around the corner for Boyd. I love going to the footy to watch what I *know* these guys can do, which hasn't been the paradigm for 5 or so years now.

This is a summation based on more than his game yesterday, which just reinforced what I already thought. His decision making is sub standard, and I fear for continued possession with the ball in his hands.

If he's going to make it, it won't be in the role we have been grooming him for. The harsh reality is that he isn't creative enough or a good enough kick. We have seen him succeed in a defensive role in the midfield, and if we choose to play this sort of player then that's his spot. However, Webb, Johannisen and Wood make him excess to need as a small defender, and he hasn't shown capacity to play loose in the AFL. His poor execution in a game largely lacking intensity when he entered it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Sometimes our players can be not good. It doesn't mean they're bad people or anything.

You said he can't play. Not he didn't play. Can't. That's a very, very harsh and premature judgment call on less than 5 quarters of football.

Happy Days
01-06-2015, 11:14 PM
You said he can't play. Not he didn't play. Can't. That's a very, very harsh and premature judgment call on less than 5 quarters of football.

That's assuming I've only seen him play 5 quarters of football?

ratsmac
02-06-2015, 01:36 AM
A tad harsh on Biggs Happy Days. Everyone was terrible against Melbourne so it was a bit hard for him to carry the team on his shoulders in his first game for the club. And when he came on against the Giants he didn't do anything to suggest he can't play. I don't know what you were expecting but you have gone a bit early on the 'can't play' call IMO. You may end up being right but give the bloke a chance.

Raw Toast
02-06-2015, 12:09 PM
1. Further increased my faith in the coach - everything is so structured, players learning their roles well, and yet once they have the ball, they have been given the freedom to create and tear the opposition apart. An intoxicating mix, and one I don't think we've had before (we played intoxicating footy under Eade, but didn't pressure the opposition as ferociously, and didn't structure up so systematically). One key advantage of this is that incoming players can slot in nicely, because they just have to play their role - of course, their role will expand over time, but I've often envied the teams who can bring new player after new player in and have them relatively seamlessly slot into the mix. I wonder if this is part of what has helped some players step up to a new level - maybe in some ways the game is now simpler for Wood, Picken and even Boyd (who is suddenly playing a little within himself, as many of us had wished for a long time, and had an absolute beauty of a game - I think we'd forgotten just how impressive his hardness is, and now he's got the poise to be starring again).

2. That all said, I'm excited by how much better we can play. There were a number of times when quicker ball-movement from players who had good games (like Stevens and the Rat) would have split GWS open even further. Improve that and the cohesiveness of the forward line (which Bevo is continually saying takes time), and we will be even scarier.

3. Intercept marks are clearly a crucial indicator, but I also think our game plan is based on intercept hand-balls. Melbourne and the Saints cut us up with relatively short kicking, but most teams find it very, very hard to hand-pass out of pressure against us. And so many times we manage to get a hand in to smother or deflect them, or just have moved to the right place to intercept opposition hand-passes. We still struggle against the spread at times (though are improving, especially our movement across ground to limit the switching of play), but most teams can't spread that well against us because we stop their chains of handpasses getting to the outlet player. Glorious to watch, and the ability to wait while a team-mate tackles is a crucial part of it as Dog Town noted early in the season.

soupman
02-06-2015, 03:26 PM
3. Intercept marks are clearly a crucial indicator, but I also think our game plan is based on intercept hand-balls. Melbourne and the Saints cut us up with relatively short kicking, but most teams find it very, very hard to hand-pass out of pressure against us. And so many times we manage to get a hand in to smother or deflect them, or just have moved to the right place to intercept opposition hand-passes.

Didn't we focus heavily on a handpassing style drill in the pre-season? I wonder if the benefits of this were two fold. First it bettered our short handpassing to create space game, but also it's given our players plenty of practise at stopping the very same thing.

FrediKanoute
02-06-2015, 04:40 PM
1. Easton Wood is a gun - the athlete has matured into the star we had hoped for;
2. Wallis Jnr - is a quality in close midfielder in the Scott West mode. Has stepped it up a gear this season;
3. Minno - proved me wrong - ruck is not just a blunt weapon, but if channelled correctly can be a sword that leads the charge.