PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 10 vs Port Adelaide

Eastdog
28-05-2015, 10:01 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 10 match against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Bump

boydogs
30-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Out: Dale
In: Stringer

azabob
30-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Out: Dale
In: Stringer

I would actually go

In: stringer

Out: Biggs

Doc26
30-05-2015, 09:08 PM
In: Stringer, Crameri
Out: Dale, Biggs

Sub - Grant

westbulldog
30-05-2015, 09:36 PM
I would actually go

In: stringer

Out: Biggs

agreed

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Is Talia a chance given Port Adelaide have Schulz, Westhoff, Ryder/Lobbe? If we bring in Talia it would mean Talia goes to Schulz, Hamling to Westhoff and Roberts to Ryder/Lobbe - not too bad in terms of match ups IMO, whilst allowing us to play Roughy as the second ruck/forward.

Crameri another week off.

So:

In: Stringer, Talia

azabob
30-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Is Westhoff required down back with Trengrove being injured?

divvydan
31-05-2015, 12:45 AM
In post game press conference, Beveridge said Bonts has an abductor strain and will be touch and go for this week. Might allow one of Biggs/Dale to keep their place assuming Stringer/Crameri are fit and available.

G-Mo77
31-05-2015, 12:52 AM
In post game press conference, Beveridge said Bonts has an abductor strain and will be touch and go for this week. Might allow one of Biggs/Dale to keep their place assuming Stringer/Crameri are fit and available.

If that's the case I'd say we would give him the week off.

Ins: Stringer, Honeychurch
Out: Bonts, Dale (Thought he really struggled today)

If Bonts is good to go then I really think someone like Jong needs a week or two in the VFL.

azabob
31-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't be dropping Jong. He was good enough yesterday to keep his spot. We will need his run and athleticism against Port.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2015, 11:39 AM
In: Talia, Stringer

Doc26
31-05-2015, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't be dropping Jong. He was good enough yesterday to keep his spot. We will need his run and athleticism against Port.

Port's midfield was particularly dominant against Melbourne yesterday, with Boak, Ebert, Hartlett, Gray, Wines etc all in their better players.

We will need our midfield intensity to be right up there against them, with enough rotations through there to keep our young legs fresh enough without blowing up. With Bont. suffering a soft tissue injury late yesterday and Jong still a bit off is why we need stronger rotational midfield support this week and why I'd prefer to see both Crameri and Stringer come in.

azabob
31-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Redpath was rested from the VFL today, I wonder if he will come in for Boyd?

GVGjr
31-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Redpath was rested from the VFL today, I wonder if he will come in for Boyd?

It's possible but I would tend to keep playing Boyd with the bye so close. I'd prefer Crameri and Bontempelli to be given the extra time.

lemmon
31-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Caleb Daniel any chance of coming in or isn't he quite there yet?

azabob
31-05-2015, 11:09 PM
It's possible but I would tend to keep playing Boyd with the bye so close. I'd prefer Crameri and Bontempelli to be given the extra time.

Good point.

I wouldnt be surprised if Minson was dropped this weekend.

We are playing in Adelaide at night. Conditions will be slipery and will not suit big men and run will be vital.

It will be an interesting match committee.

Before I Die
01-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Good point.

We are playing in Adelaide at night. Conditions will be slipery and will not suit big men and run will be vital.

That would be true of big men who rely on marking as a strength. I would think slippery conditions would negate Will's weakness overhead and play nicely into his bullocking style around the packs.

KT31
01-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Good point.

Would be a pretty harsh and unfair call to drop Minnow after he played so well.

Ozza
01-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Good point.

Good weather in Adelaide forecast for this week. Should be a nice night for footy.

azabob
01-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Good weather in Adelaide forecast for this week. Should be a nice night for footy.

Traditionally I thiught regardless of the weather it gets dewy and slippery due to the drop in temperature?

Ozza
01-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Traditionally I thiught regardless of the weather it gets dewy and slippery due to the drop in temperature?

Yeah perhaps. I just noticed it was forecasted to be 20 degrees on the Sunday - so thought it would stay pretty crisp for footy on the Saturday night.

As far as changes go - I'd probably look at;

In; Stringer & Crameri (if both available)
Out: Dale and Biggs

Just a case of get the best players in...and worry about the positions later. If Bontempelli doesn't come up...it would be great to give Caleb Daniel an opportunity to debut in his home state. Have been super impressed with him.

Cyberdoggie
01-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Going on selection form,
I would be surprised if Biggs got dropped. He's had 1 game and a quarter. Bevo doesn't like dropping guys after they are the sub it's not really fair and he tends to give them a few games before dropping them.

I could see Dale might be dropped but that is about it on this criteria, although might be a good experience for the kid to travel interstate.

Bonts out, Stringer in at this stage.

Throughandthrough
01-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Ryder wont be playing, he's out for 2 - 3 weeks. Port are back to 1 ruckman, like last year. Having said that, I saw their reserves play yesterday and their backup ruckman (Redden) was very good. Tom Clurey took Trengoves role on Saturday and was ok, so the Hoff wont play back. Port are all over the shop form wise, and are ready for the taking.

1eyedog
01-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Ryder wont be playing, he's out for 2 - 3 weeks. Port are back to 1 ruckman, like last year. Having said that, I saw their reserves play yesterday and their backup ruckman (Redden) was very good. Tom Clurey took Trengoves role on Saturday and was ok, so the Hoff wont play back. Port are all over the shop form wise, and are ready for the taking.

What about Schulz? Does he have a bad corky?

Throughandthrough
01-06-2015, 02:43 PM
What about Schulz? Does he have a bad corky?

Schulz gets hurt every week.

jeemak
01-06-2015, 03:17 PM
In - McLean, Stringer
Out - Dale, Bontempelli

Happy Days
01-06-2015, 03:57 PM
In: Stringer, Crameri

Out: Biggs, Dale

I'd look at bringing in McLean if Bont or Crameri aren't right. Would also be tempted to give Tom Boyd a spell; Hombsch is putting in a great season as a mobile KPD and Boyd playing deep as he is might not be enough to temper his run. I think we're still a better side with Boyd playing every week though, so he stays.

LostDoggy
01-06-2015, 11:40 PM
The Bont ( adductor strain ) and Picken ( hamstring strain ) will have late fitness tests before Team selection , Stringer ( adductor soreness )and Crameri ( hip flexor strain ) will probably be the same but should be fine . Redpath ( adductor strain ) will also be considered to replace Boyd but only if he also passes a late fitness test .

josie
02-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Adductor strain = groin strain - am I right here?

Any thoughts on why we have so many, or is this the norm for footy sides?

Thought this was an interesting read - i.e. possibly ways to reduce risk of such strains. Dogs medical & conditioning staff I understand are top notch. Hopefully they are doing all they can to reduce the risk.

http://www.active.com/soccer/articles/how-to-prevent-groin-injuries

Back on topic - one of Stringer or Crameri in if fit and McLean in, with Biggs out and Dale out if Stringer or Crameri come in.

LostDoggy
04-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Only about an hour away from the Team announcement , will be interesting how we line up with a few players needing late fitness tests , one option we could use is resting T.Boyd and bring in Campbell , Roberts and Hamling deserve another game together
The Minson and Roughead ruck partnership will give Port problems , they could bring in an extra tall to work with Lobbe . Its likely that Bonti will be rested and we see Wallis and Jong at the coalface .

Templeton31
04-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Only about an hour away from the Team announcement , will be interesting how we line up with a few players needing late fitness tests , one option we could use is resting T.Boyd and bring in Campbell , Roberts and Hamling deserve another game together
The Minson and Roughead ruck partnership will give Port problems , they could bring in an extra tall to work with Lobbe . Its likely that Bonti will be rested and we see Wallis and Jong at the coalface .

that could be trouble. Port have a very good midfield and Jong's form since he hurt his wrist in the Sydney game has not been great. I won't be too surprised if Lin is dropped although he was a bit better last week against GWS.

Hotdog60
04-06-2015, 07:24 PM
In: Jake Stringer,
Stewart Crameri,
Toby McLean
OUT: Shane Biggs (Omitted),
Marcus Bontempelli (Adductor),
Liam Picken (Hamstring)

GVGjr
04-06-2015, 07:27 PM
If you play well at Footscray you get rewarded. Welcome Toby McLean.

We will miss Picken and Bontempelli

bulldogtragic
04-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Dale, McLean, Webb (Daniel an emerge) & Boyd, Biggs, Hamling (Redpath as a fully fledged senior listed) all debuted so far in a team with a handful of wins. And the best in Z. Cordy still to come. Nice fact.

Remi Moses
04-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Two big outs, but nice to see Toby McLean get a game .
Fourth debutant this season

Go_Dogs
04-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Given Bont and Picken are out, I'm a little surprised that we didn't go with Prudden, but nonetheless, a good opportunity for McLean and we must figure Crameri and Stringer can play some minutes adding some grunt further upfield.

Greystache
04-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Our midfield is taking a battering, we're going to need a number of players to step up. I've got a bad feeling we'll see several forwards spending time in the midfield where they haven't been effective eg Crameri, Grant, and to a lesser degree Dickson.

LostDoggy
04-06-2015, 07:59 PM
Solid Team Sheet but Bonti and Picken will be missed , well done to Toby McLean rewarded for solid form for Footscray , good to see Caleb Daniel added to Emergencies , I,ll have to have a look later on at the possible matchups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGpOoeEUAAAzzu7.png:large

SlimPickens
04-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Looking forward to watching feathers play, interesting round for him to come in with the new interpretation of head high contact as drawing it is one of his many tricks.

Go_Dogs
04-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Looking forward to watching feathers play, interesting round for him to come in with the new interpretation of head high contact as drawing it is one of his many tricks.

Surely the umpires will protect the head of a first gamer!

kruder
04-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Given Bont and Picken are out, I'm a little surprised that we didn't go with Prudden, but nonetheless, a good opportunity for McLean and we must figure Crameri and Stringer can play some minutes adding some grunt further upfield.

Yeah good point about Prudden. Its time for Hrovat to step up in the midfield for mine. He will get his chance this weekend.

Eastdog
04-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Good to see Stringer and Crameri in the side and they add a lot to our forward line despite the fact last week we did reasonably well without them. Bonts will be missed but important his 100% and if his not then best to give him a spell - I look forward to Bonts recapturing is form again. How about Talia would you guys wanted him in our side this week. Campbell is another I look forward to seeing later in the year but I'm sure Bevo will make the right call on him. I wish Toby Mclean luck. Great sign to have quite a few debutants of late - we are ringing in the youth :)

Eastdog
04-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Yeah good point about Prudden. Its time for Hrovat to step up in the midfield for mine. He will get his chance this weekend.

Liked Hrovat's game last week.

comrade
04-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Surprised Dale stays in, thought he was OK last week but didn't have a great influence.

Need Lin Jong to step up to his early season form.

Eastdog
04-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Surprised Dale stays in, thought he was OK last week but didn't have a great influence.

Need Lin Jong to step up to his early season form.

Hopefully Saturday is the night Lin Jong can fire. Has huge potential and has certainly showed it this year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Our midfield is taking a battering, we're going to need a number of players to step up. I've got a bad feeling we'll see several forwards spending time in the midfield where they haven't been effective eg Crameri, Grant, and to a lesser degree Dickson.

Minson and Wallis stepping up together with Roughead was a huge bonus last week in the midfield. Both Picken and Bonti are huge losses. Crameri is capable of providing some grunt in the middle with Matthew Boyd given his ability to find the ball can be expected to play a leading role . This will be a big test for our guys against a team that has struggled to find its good form of last year but capable of turning it around.

bornadog
05-06-2015, 12:30 AM
Minson and Wallis stepping up together with Roughead was a huge bonus last week in the midfield. Both Picken and Bonti are huge losses. Crameri is capable of providing some grunt in the middle with Matthew Boyd given his ability to find the ball can be expected to play a leading role . This will be a big test for our guys against a team that has struggled to find its good form of last year but capable of turning it around.

and they have a strong midfield.

Doc26
05-06-2015, 12:55 AM
This game last season was one to forget with Port taking the honours by 72 points at their fortress with Schultz, 8 goals, and Westhoff, 3, really getting a hold on our defence. Wines, Boak and Gray also dominated in the midfield. But how different our selected team is from this round 14, 2014, encounter.

We have a rather staggering 5 Bulldog debutants for 2015 selected, and with only 12 of our 22 who played in this game last season selected this time around.

A big ask and challenge this week when less than 12 months back our listed side more closely resembled that which was running around at VFL / TAC etc level, up against a team that was a kick off playing in the Grand Final.

Great credit is due to the work that has gone into building and shaping this group, young and old, in a short period to be seen as a legitimate chance in taking the points this week.

ratsmac
05-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Good luck to Toby McLean but is his inclusion an indictment of Hunter's form this year. This should be Hunter's spot that McLean has taken. I hope this really gets up Hunter's goat and makes something click in his head. It's hard work and not the fancy shit that makes a footballer.

SlimPickens
05-06-2015, 08:47 AM

Massive week for Koby.

Go_Dogs
05-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Massive week for Koby.

Koby, Jong and Wallis (again) all need massive weeks. If we can get on top inside and keep our pressure up to deny their users and runners space and time outside, we can win this one, and win it well.

I've seen quite a bit of PA this year and their workrate has been poor, or at least, down on last year.

Mantis
05-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Koby, Jong and Wallis (again) all need massive weeks. If we can get on top inside and keep our pressure up to deny their users and runners space and time outside, we can win this one, and win it well.

I've seen quite a bit of PA this year and their workrate has been poor, or at least, down on last year.

Agree with all this, but our lack of depth through the midfield will hurt us if we have a few passengers.

Huge test.. Looking forward to see if we can back up from last week.

Ozza
05-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Picken is a huge loss. His great athleticism and ability to cover serious territory during a game is pretty hard to replace!!

Cyberdoggie
05-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Possible season defining match this one?

Sitting in 9th coming in to the break, another win would put us 6-4 and ahead of the pack below.
Losing would hurt and also give Port a big kickstart, who we will likely be battling it out for that bottom of the 8 spot with.

We've got Carlton, GC, Melbourne and the Saints coming up so a win here and some seemingly favourable matches could almost cement a dare I say it finals spot. Let's hope we can take it.