Sun, May 31 West Coast vs Geelong Domain Stadium 2.40pm 4.40pm Foxtel

bornadog
30-05-2015, 12:19 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/cqstatic/ghczoy/m6432.gif

Ghost Dog
30-05-2015, 12:24 AM

To the tune of 'smooth criminal'.
Interesting article on why people boo Adam Goodes on The Roar.

Ghost Dog
30-05-2015, 12:27 AM

My mum was a Cats fan but loved Adam Goodes as much as she hated Chris Judd.

jeemak
30-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Everitt played a good game tonight.

It's a real shame he didn't stick with us and gain some continuity and develop as time went on, as I think sticking with the club and knuckling down would have been of benefit to him. He was at the club during a time when the coach was probably more adversarial than he had been for most of his time, Everitt wasn't getting games (deservedly) and didn't have his head screwed on properly, and a player manager was cooing him towards a better deal elsewhere with a media pack wanting to see some action during trade time.

If he was ever going to peak it would be around the age he is now. When I consider the players we've elevated, kept on the list or drafted during his time away from the club, I kind of think we'd have been no less well served with having Everitt hanging around.

I guess when you draft Everitt, Grant and Cordy as all under-developed first rounders the pay off is going to take a while, and it's a good lesson to any recruitment team that talent and skinniness only takes you so far for the short to medium term. In hindsight (and regular sight at the time) it's probably not the best top end recruiting strategy.

Remi Moses
30-05-2015, 01:48 AM
Another Friday night Caaaarlton snore fest.
Liam Jones was in Danger of getting leather poisoning ;)
Didn't see the last, but did he add to his two touches?

jeemak
30-05-2015, 01:58 AM
3 and 2 with two tackles.

Throughandthrough
30-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Another Friday night Caaaarlton snore fest.
Liam Jones was in Danger of getting leather poisoning ;)
Didn't see the last, but did he add to his two touches?

Titus oreilly posted a tweet early in the last quarter, wondering when Carlton will sib Liam Jones on

Happy Days
30-05-2015, 09:41 AM

Surely no one is under any illusions as to why dickheads boo Adam Goodes?

chef
30-05-2015, 09:49 AM

My mum was a Cats fan but loved Adam Goodes as much as she hated Chris Judd.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/05/29/the-idiots-guide-to-booing-adam-goodes/

I loved Goodesy's celebration(I'm sure the kids that he did it for loved it too), that flog Hamish McLachlan tried to sensationalise it and make an issue that clearly wasn't there.

I don't get why he gets booed, but I'm not much of a yobbo.

GVGjr
30-05-2015, 10:52 AM
I think the war dance Goodes performed would have been more appropriate before the game much like the NZ haka especially given it was the opening game of the Indigenous round but I'm not sure who he was actually declaring war on.

I have a lot of respect for what Adam Goodes has achieved as a footballer but I'd like to know what motivated such an exaggerated celebration in a game they had total control over. Was it out of frustration? Was it premeditated? No doubt the story will eventually be told because I'm not sure that he was really inspired by the U16 Boomerangs team.

G-Mo77
30-05-2015, 11:04 AM
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/05/29/the-idiots-guide-to-booing-adam-goodes/

I loved Goodesy's celebration(I'm sure the kids that he did it for loved it too), that flog Hamish McLachlan tried to sensationalise it and make an issue that clearly wasn't there.

I don't get why he gets booed, but I'm not much of a yobbo.

Haha. Love the article. My news feed last not was filled with ugly hate filled posts on Goodes. Might need to cull a few of these people me thinks.

ledge
30-05-2015, 11:56 AM
It's ok to do it but why at opposition supporters ? He encouraged more booing ? Personally I think it's just what fans do, they are the opposition and its always been the best player of the opposition gets booed because they are so good or did something untoward against a side ..
It's part of the game it's not swearing it's harmless, I'm sure smart players would use it as a positive.
I don't agree with some of the things Goodes has done and he isn't a favourite of mine but he is a great footballer.
I just think at times his mouth and some of his actions are done before the brain kicks in. And as a role model
He needs to think more before he open his mouth, but lets remember his strength is his football, as we know it does t make you smart

LostDoggy
30-05-2015, 12:21 PM
I loved the Goodes dance. Should be more of it. Hopefully Collo was sitting with the Carrrrlton supporters when he did it.

Scorlibo
30-05-2015, 02:19 PM
A champion expressing pride in his heritage, but also a brave statement against all those pathetic enough to boo him. Indigenous kids all over the country will walk taller after seeing that.

Greystache
30-05-2015, 10:54 PM
Really enjoying what Hird's doing with Essendon. Best of all no matter how bad they are under him he'll see the club fold before he'd give up his job or be sacked.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Remi Moses
30-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Essendon have gone backwards on his watch .
That was a god awful game .
Pleasing thing for Richmond was winning a slog

comrade
30-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Impressed with how Richmond iced the game at the end, though it might have had more to do with Essendon's ineptitude.

A very mediocre team.

LostDoggy
31-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Great game between Adelaide and Freo. Crows very nearly pinched it. Dangerfield played a blinder.

KT31
31-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Impressed with how Richmond iced the game at the end, though it might have had more to do with Essendon's ineptitude.

A very mediocre team.

So with our record we should mark it down as a loss then?;)

comrade
31-05-2015, 12:27 PM
So with our record we should mark it down as a loss then?;)

Yep, feel much more confident against top 8 teams than also rans like the Bombers.

Doc26
31-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Getting some enjoyment in watching Daniel Rich dominate in the midfield early against St.Kilda. A positive sign of a player, not dissimilar to Tom, returning from an ACL.

Mantis
31-05-2015, 04:54 PM
The Saints are becoming good at running over the top of teams with limited bench rotations.

SlimPickens
31-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Teams are working the pies out. Haven't looked anywhere near it against Norf.

Remi Moses
31-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Collingwood are a pretty young side and Norf are recruiting for a tilt.
No great surprises

ledge
31-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Scrap those comments above lol

jeemak
31-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Good game at the G.

Well done to the Pies coming back.

Brad Scott looks like he wants to bash someone.

azabob
31-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Good game at the G.

Well done to the Pies coming back.

Brad Scott looks like he wants to bash someone.

Gives me great joy in seeing Brad Scott like that. Such a sook and big red face. Perhaps he should be coaching the pies so he can look like the pres?

Sedat
31-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Norf :D

Not even the fact that the filth beat them can take away from the lols. Premiership contender :D

comrade
31-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Obviously thought they were close to a flag so topped up with Higgo and Waite.

Just no genuine elite talent coming through. Ziebell, Cunnington etc are all just a bit 'meh'.

Greystache
31-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Norf :

Just when you think they're about to let you down they don't!

strebla
31-05-2015, 08:01 PM
A champion expressing pride in his heritage, but also a brave statement against all those pathetic enough to boo him. Indigenous kids all over the country will walk taller after seeing that.
I agree there is not enough of it if I had been an opposition supporter I would have applauded him.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Norf :

Seeing them blow it live was like having a second win this weekend.

Roscoe_G
31-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Norf :

As disappointing and lamentable an effort as I've had the displeasure to watch. As I have opined on another thread in this fine forum, North are simply a shadow of their glory years, and those commentators and supposed experts who had us finishing top 4 were delusional in the extreme.

A dismal day of football, encapsulated by Jarrod Waite missing the entire goalface from 3 metres out, Drew Petrie kicking multiple consecutive points. and .... dare I say it, Jarrod Waite missing a short pass in the third quarter which ultimately resulted in an opposition goal and subsequent avalanche of unanswered goals. Apart from Goldstein and Ziebell, who were both outstanding, the rest were ordinary in the extreme.

Brad Scott's time is now up (indeed it was a long time ago) ... and Waite, Higgins, del Santo, Thomas. Tarrant and Petrie can follow him.

A rebuild is required ...

Roscoe

EasternWest
31-05-2015, 10:22 PM
As disappointing and lamentable an effort as I've had the displeasure to watch. As I have opined on another thread in this fine forum, North are simply a shadow of their glory years, and those commentators and supposed experts who had us finishing top 4 were delusional in the extreme.

A dismal day of football, encapsulated by Jarrod Waite missing the entire goalface from 3 metres out, Drew Petrie kicking multiple consecutive points. and .... dare I say it, Jarrod Waite missing a short pass in the third quarter which ultimately resulted in an opposition goal and subsequent avalanche of unanswered goals. Apart from Goldstein and Ziebell, who were both outstanding, the rest were ordinary in the extreme.

Brad Scott's time is now up (indeed it was a long time ago) ... and Waite, Higgins, del Santo, Thomas. Tarrant and Petrie can follow him.

Roscoe

Did you log into the wrong forum mate?

Roscoe_G
31-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the warm, engaging and insightful response EasternWest.

I had thought it a generic, non-Bulldogs specific thread, hence I stand corrected.

Sorry to trouble you with my post.

Greystache
31-05-2015, 10:52 PM

I had thought it a generic, non-Bulldogs specific thread, hence I stand corrected.

Not at all Roscoe, appreciate you taking the time to post and join in the discussion.

It's a difficult situation North are in. They've spent a number of years building for a crack at it, they've topped up to round out the list, and have a year or two left where their stars still have their best in them (thinking Petrie and Harvey) the problem is the steel and consistency just hasn't developed with maturity. It would feel a massive let down for the supporters if the club were to start rebuilding for another charge, but if they don't you feel they'll be treading water for another couple of years before doing just that.

I'd be replacing Scott before going back to the drawing board, a new coach might give them a fresh start.

GVGjr
31-05-2015, 10:58 PM

Everyone is welcome if the commentary adds value.

Doc26
31-05-2015, 11:06 PM

Everyone is welcome if the commentary adds value.

Plus Roscoe did introduce himself to the forum in his first posting a few weeks back as a North Melbourne aficionado.

Knowing EasternWest's history on the forum I'm certain he meant nothing by it Roscoe.

GVGjr
31-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Plus Roscoe did introduce himself to the forum in his first posting a few weeks back as a North Melbourne aficionado.

Knowing EasternWest's history on the forum I'm certain he meant nothing by it Roscoe.

I'm sure as well.

Ghost Dog
31-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Not at all Roscoe, appreciate you taking the time to post and join in the discussion.

It's a difficult situation North are in. They've spent a number of years building for a crack at it, they've topped up to round out the list, and have a year or two left where their stars still have their best in them (thinking Petrie and Harvey) the problem is the steel and consistency just hasn't developed with maturity. It would feel a massive let down for the supporters if the club were to start rebuilding for another charge, but if they don't you feel they'll be treading water for another couple of years before doing just that.

I'd be replacing Scott before going back to the drawing board, a new coach might give them a fresh start.

I've sat goal end with North Supporters in the past and had some good discussions. They are a frustrating team, and a tipsters nightmare. They are the kings of fade outs.

KT31
01-06-2015, 12:07 AM

I'm sure Easternwests concerns are like mine, we are a Doggies forum and whilst we do consider other teams in our forums we might not be able to be as objective or forthright if our beloved Woof was flooded with other teams supporters.
This is no way directed at Roscoe ( and kudos for him for being forthright with his allegiance to another team )but we are proud and passionate Doggies members and deserve a place to celebrate and vent for our team without prejudice, this sight is a credit to the Mods and our posters and its a big pat on the back for an opposition supporters wanting to join in our forums.
I have no qualms with the odd opposition supporters opinion but would like the mods to please consider the consequences of allowing to many as we will then loose our forum and become BF.

EasternWest
01-06-2015, 12:16 AM

Ok, we've got off to a rough start. Let me try again.

Did you log into the wrong forum mate ;).

I didn't realise you were a North supporter visiting here. Now it makes sense. I thought you were a Dogs dude who'd suddenly jumped ship. I apologise if I've offended you. Welcome to WOOF.

I think recruiting Higgins et al was a mistake, but I don't know if you need an entire rebuild. I feel more like you need some real leaders to step up, but I don't know if you gave these leaders.

I don't care for the Scott brothers, so you won't get any arguments out of me.

Exactly. But now that I know we've been infiltrated, I'll be sure to play my cards closer to my chest in future :).

Remi Moses
01-06-2015, 02:25 AM

Roscoe

Feel your pain Roscoe, but at least you have a few flag DVD's to look back on !
Don't think TV was around in 54:mad:

GVGjr
01-06-2015, 07:33 AM
I have no qualms with the odd opposition supporters opinion but would like the mods to please consider the consequences of allowing to many as we will then loose our forum and become BF.

We have just a few non Bulldog supporters on the forum and we will never be overrun by them. If the discussion is good then I certainly welcome it. If it was to taunt the Bulldogs they wouldn't be part of the forum.

What you are speculating on is an end state that would never happen.

1eyedog
01-06-2015, 08:01 AM
North are where we were in 2010 minus the results. They're in an interesting position and could play finals for the next two years without finishing any higher than 6-8 but they do not have enough class through the middle or run off half back to finish higher. They miss a player like Wells but he too is probably past it now.

I can understand the frustration at Waite and Higgins but think it's a bit harsh on Petrie. He's been a fine player for a long time and a loyal servant.

Remi Moses
01-06-2015, 02:59 PM
The issue is that Dal Santo and Wells are icing on the cake types, as is Shaun.
Going gets tough it's about Ziebell and swallow ( whom they do miss)
It is similar to us in 2010, but I'd say they're further away than we are .

Sedat
01-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Going gets tough it's about Ziebell and swallow ( whom they do miss).
Ziebell is a gun and was the only player to try and stem the tide yesterday - he should be their next captain.

bornadog
01-06-2015, 04:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGYlohZUQAMpvh3.png

Greystache
01-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Our backline is criminally underrated by this system. We have 4 other players that play there too :D

soupman
01-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Dahlhaus has fallen out of the side, despite a very good performance.

Happy Days
01-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Would love to know the criteria for small forward selection; none of them (bar Betts) make sense.

Twodogs
01-06-2015, 05:36 PM

That's weird isn't it.

Happy Days
01-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Just on Goodes (as we were discussing earlier)

https://youtu.be/xeBu735nFYw

This is just a perfect summation of exactly what is happening.

EDIT - And this - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/victim-adam-goodes-just-crying-wolf-over-war-dance/story-fnpp4dl6-1227377043531

This is the worst thing I have ever read.

Go_Dogs
01-06-2015, 05:50 PM

Doesn't make sense to me. He was awesome on the weekend.

comrade
01-06-2015, 05:52 PM
"Geez, I wish I had Josh Hill in my team ahead of Luke Dahlhaus" said no one, ever.

bornadog
01-06-2015, 05:53 PM

yeah, I didn't get that

chef
01-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Just on Goodes (as we were discussing earlier)

https://youtu.be/xeBu735nFYw

This is just a perfect summation of exactly what is happening.

EDIT - And this - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/victim-adam-goodes-just-crying-wolf-over-war-dance/story-fnpp4dl6-1227377043531

This is the worst thing I have ever read.

I agree on both.

Bolt is one sad human being.

Maddog37
01-06-2015, 08:24 PM
I would be having Dal over Bonts in that team as well as Chad and Hill. It looks like a who you are rather than how you are playing team to me.

Twodogs
01-06-2015, 09:02 PM
I would be having Dal over Bonts in that team as well as Chad and Hill. It looks like a who you are rather than how you are playing team to me.

Yeah. It's a bit silly Bont being in the team he hasn't played at his top for a few weeks now.

Roscoe_G
01-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Ok, we've got off to a rough start. Let me try again.

Did you log into the wrong forum mate ;).

I didn't realise you were a North supporter visiting here. Now it makes sense. I thought you were a Dogs dude who'd suddenly jumped ship. I apologise if I've offended you. Welcome to WOOF.

I think recruiting Higgins et al was a mistake, but I don't know if you need an entire rebuild. I feel more like you need some real leaders to step up, but I don't know if you gave these leaders.

I don't care for the Scott brothers, so you won't get any arguments out of me.

Exactly. But now that I know we've been infiltrated, I'll be sure to play my cards closer to my chest in future :).

Eastern West,

Consider the reconciliation complete .... I understand you meant no ill-intent. :cool:

We will have to agree to disagree, however, on North's need for a "rebuild." I think it is now paramount, particularly given the inept recruiting over the past few years.

Without wishing Brad Scott any harm, his imminent 4 week absence will be a blessing. Darren Crocker is a very good football person, and was a fine player albeit subdued by ongoing injuries during his playing days. His prior interim coaching appointment at North worked quite well, and I rate him highly. I suspect he will get more out of this team than Scott has to date this season.

As for your Bulldogs, I wish that was where North was now in terms of team development. It is best encapsulated by the fact you have Marcus Bontempelli and we have Shaun Higgins.

Cheers
Roscoe

LostDoggy
01-06-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm sure Easternwests concerns are like mine, we are a Doggies forum and whilst we do consider other teams in our forums we might not be able to be as objective or forthright if our beloved Woof was flooded with other teams supporters.
This is no way directed at Roscoe ( and kudos for him for being forthright with his allegiance to another team )but we are proud and passionate Doggies members and deserve a place to celebrate and vent for our team without prejudice, this sight is a credit to the Mods and our posters and its a big pat on the back for an opposition supporters wanting to join in our forums.
What is BF? :D

I agree on both.

Bolt is one sad human being.
Bolt is a man who understands his target audience perfectly. If he wasn't a "journalist" he'd make a fortune as a PR exec. I am willing to bet hard money that more 'little-L liberals' read his blogs than conservatives, just for somebody to hate.

The man is a worm.

Eastern West,

Consider the reconciliation complete .... I understand you meant no ill-intent. :cool:

We will have to agree to disagree, however, on North's need for a "rebuild." I think it is now paramount, particularly given the inept recruiting over the past few years.

Without wishing Brad Scott any harm, his imminent 4 week absence will be a blessing. Darren Crocker is a very good football person, and was a fine player albeit subdued by ongoing injuries during his playing days. His prior interim coaching appointment at North worked quite well, and I rate him highly. I suspect he will get more out of this team than Scott has to date this season.

As for your Bulldogs, I wish that was where North was now in terms of team development. It is best encapsulated by the fact you have Marcus Bontempelli and we have Shaun Higgins.

Cheers
Roscoe
Shaun Higgins' raw ability to stand up under pressure and claim outright his place as whipping boy is unparalleled. It demands respect. If there was a fan-voted LVP award (Least Valued Player) he'd win six straight.

chef
01-06-2015, 11:12 PM
BF is BigFooty.

LostDoggy
01-06-2015, 11:27 PM
BF is BigFooty.

I know.

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 12:16 AM
I remember looking at North's list preseason and counting six players over thirty. That's a lot of list space allotted to players in that age group.

Does any other list have more?

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 12:17 AM
Feel your pain Roscoe, but at least you have a few flag DVD's to look back on !
Don't think TV was around in 54:mad:

This.

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 12:19 AM
Although Footscray winning one last year was priceless.

soupman
02-06-2015, 12:28 AM
It looks like a who you are rather than how you are playing team to me.

Josh Hill in the side surely proves that wrong.

bornadog
02-06-2015, 09:56 AM
I remember looking at North's list preseason and counting six players over thirty. That's a lot of list space allotted to players in that age group.

Essendon are pretty close as well as they have a number of ageing players, with Fletch 40, Cooney almost 30, Chappy 30, Watson 30, Goddard 30, and afew 29 year olds.

Mantis
02-06-2015, 09:57 AM

Geelong have 9... Hawthorn also have 6.

Bulldog Joe
02-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Essendon are pretty close as well as they have a number of ageing players, with Fletch 40, Cooney almost 30, Chappy 30, Watson 30, Goddard 30, and afew 29 year olds.

Essendon have done well to have so many aging players, while not winning a final in 14 years. That is Richmondesque in achievement.

Ghost Dog
02-06-2015, 10:17 AM

Right Bad. Those are massive outs for them, when gone. I must say Cooney has done better than I thought he would. That goat's blood, or whatever it is, seems to be bubbling along ok in his knee.

Greystache
02-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Right Bad. Those are massive outs for them, when gone. I must say Cooney has done better than I thought he would. That goat's blood, or whatever it is, seems to be bubbling along ok in his knee.

He was terrible on the weekend and has missed a number of games with a hamstring. The Essendon fans have already turned on him, citing total lack of defensive effort, and picking and choosing him moments to put in.

But hey, even if the team is shit, and the fans hate him, he has James and his spongy floor :rolleyes:

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 01:02 PM

I thought he's been pretty ordinary. He looks a bit roly poly to me.

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 01:10 PM

Now that you mention it I remember Hutchy mentioning on the Sunday footy show that Essendon had too many players over thirty a couple of times. Matthew Lloyd took the bait both times and snapped back that they were forced to do it because they had their draft picks taken away by the big, bad AFL.

boydogs
02-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Freo have 6 as well and the oldest average age in the AFL, just ahead of North

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-have-perfect-list-profile-while-fremantle-oldest-list-in-afl-says-latest-data/story-fni5f22o-1227149047364

comrade
02-06-2015, 11:10 PM
North are about to fall off the cliff.

What were they thinking bringing in Waite and Higgo?

Even if they improve in the second half, they'll still be relying on veterans like Dal Santo and Wells to give them a boost.

jeemak
02-06-2015, 11:28 PM
North are about to fall off the cliff.

What were they thinking bringing in Waite and Higgo?

Even if they improve in the second half, they'll still be relying on veterans like Dal Santo and Wells to give them a boost.

But isn't that what all teams who made a prelim the previous year do for the most part, one way or another?

It should also be noted that North brought in Waite and Higgins under the free agent system - which cost them nothing but salary, and were able to reap the benefits of two picks within the first 25 picks overall, whilst only giving away Levi Greenwood who hasn't registered a single stat this year.

I can't question their strategy to be honest, especially considering their immediate need for more class and fire power across the board. If they had more top end younger talent pushing through that might be tempted to go elsewhere because of constraints on salary cap as a result of recruiting Higgins and Waite then perhaps I could be more critical. But the reality is their list is full of middle of the road talent that does rely on contributions from older players heavily to be competitive.

North are now paying for recruiting and list management decisions under previous regimes due to a lack of resources and list management foresight. Blaming a couple of restricted/non-restricted free agents for their list management woes, and their inability to seriously challenge at the top of their cycle is off the mark.

comrade
02-06-2015, 11:30 PM
So bringing in Higgins and Waite was a good idea?

bornadog
03-06-2015, 12:28 AM

I would say Higgins yes as he is still youngish but not Waite. A hasbeen that has never been.

jeemak
03-06-2015, 12:43 AM

Yes, considering they believe they didn't cost them anything other than a bit of salary they'd only be paying to players that don't warrant extra cash.

As I said, they brought those two in whilst also taking two players within the top 25 players within the draft. What's the problem when Higgins is averaging more tackles than he had throughout his career and is kicking 60% more goals than he did previously?

Waite is also ahead statistically compared to his career on a number of stats.

How would Norf supporters feel if their club had obvious gaps on its list that were not in some way addressed after missing out in a preliminary final?

comrade
03-06-2015, 03:36 AM
Yes, considering they believe they didn't cost them anything other than a bit of salary they'd only be paying to players that don't warrant extra cash.

As I said, they brought those two in whilst also taking two players within the top 25 players within the draft. What's the problem when Higgins is averaging more tackles than he had throughout his career and is kicking 60% more goals than he did previously?

Waite is also ahead statistically compared to his career on a number of stats.

How would Norf supporters feel if their club had obvious gaps on its list that were not in some way addressed after missing out in a preliminary final?

The problem is they haven't improved, despite adding two expensive (in relative terms) free agents. Salary cap is a precious resource, that should be distributed to those that improve a team.

And that's the rub of it.

What were they thinking bringing in Higgins and Waite at inflated free agent salaries to fill gaps that didn't really need filling? As you say, both are performing (statistically) around the mark but overall, the team performance has dropped off.

Their LM team completely misread their list needs. What they needed was elite midfield talent and key defenders (amongst other things), what they bought in was 2 middle of the road forwards which haven't addressed any of their deficiencies.

And ask Norf supporters right now how they feel about picking Higgins and Waite as the men to fill these 'obvious gaps'.

westdog54
03-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Have only watched some highlights of the North-pies game.

Jarrad Waite's 'shot on goal' is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

jeemak
03-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Comrade, how much elite midfield and forward talent was around last year? If I recall correctly, Greenwood was about the extent of it.

As for defenders, wasn't It tough to secure them as well?

It's easy to knock Higgins and Waite, but they're only a small part (if at all) of what's wrong with Norf and certainly not the reason why they squandered a 39 pt. half time lead.

Ozza
03-06-2015, 10:25 AM
I think North have been hurt by the lack of development of a few through the midfield and flanks.

Atley & Bastinac were discussed on one of the footy programmes as being underperforming. Kieran Harper looked promising in his early games but has been virtually unsighted since. Aaron Black looked a player two years back - but seems to have lost confidence and with it, his place in the side.

Apart from this, it staggers me that Firrito would still be able to get a game in a team that sees themselves as top 4. Thompson isn't the A Grader that he was 2 years ago, and Grima is injured - so they seem to struggle with handling the tall forwards.

Is Aaron Mullett injured at the moment? Last year, he gave them some real drive with his kicking. Bit of a worry that Harvey & Petrie playing at a high standard is still so crucially important to their chances of winning at their ages.

Happy Days
03-06-2015, 12:42 PM
North fail the heavy artillery test - none of their midfielders are game breakers or really above the league median. Ziebell is their best, but is a reckless and often times dumb player. Swallow is an overrated foot soldier and Cunnington is unaccountable and not good enough to be so. Together they combine to make a more than serviceable midfield, but will always lose out to teams who have genuine guns (see: all the teams that have done them by +10 goals).

That is not the sort of side that should be looking to add "cream".

jeemak
03-06-2015, 01:10 PM
I wonder why Dixon and Martin played so poorly on the weekend?

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2015-06-03/pair-sanctioned-for-breaching-standards

Eade's got his work cut out for him in enforcing his no-dickhead policy.......

Happy Days
03-06-2015, 01:36 PM
I wonder why Dixon and Martin played so poorly on the weekend?

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2015-06-03/pair-sanctioned-for-breaching-standards

Eade's got his work cut out for him in enforcing his no-dickhead policy.......

This is classic - Dixon was worst on BY A MILE and Martin did his hamstring in <60 seconds.

Remember when we were going to trade 5 & 6 for Martin?

Sedat
03-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Massive cultural problems at GC - what the hell was Guy McKenna doing in the last few years there? And this is a savage indictment on Ablett's leadership ability - elite footballer he might be, but he is no leader of young men.

Rocket is not going to die wondering when it comes to cleaning up all the excrement at that club.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 02:43 PM
GC have only won 4 of the last 22 games. Have major problems with injuries

Name
Injury
Estimated Return

Gary Ablett
Shoulder
Indefinite

Sam Day
Elbow
1-2 weeks

Jarrod Garlett
Ankle
Indefinite

Josh Glenn
Ankle
Test

Jack Leslie
Hip Flexor
Test

Jesse Lonergan
Glute
Test

Jack Martin
Hamstring
4 weeks

Brandon Matera
Calf
Test

Jaeger O'Meara
Knee
Season

Dion Prestia
Knee
Indefinite

Alex Sexton
Hip Flexor
2-3 weeks

David Swallow
Knee
Indefinite

Rory Thompson
Hip Flexor
1-2 weeks

and major problems with dickheads

Twodogs
03-06-2015, 06:47 PM
GWS got the midfielders draft. GCS got the dickhead draft.

I reckon the teenage me might have tended toward dickheadism if I'd been transplanted to the Gold Coast and given a large amount of money.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 08:45 PM
GWS got the midfielders draft. GCS got the dickhead draft.

I reckon the teenage me might have tended toward dickheadism if I'd been transplanted to the Gold Coast and given a large amount of money.

I agree the environment up there is a lot different than Western Sydney. Gold Coast is full of dickhead tourists, lots of night spots etc. No wonder young men can turn feral.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2015, 08:48 PM
I agree the environment up there is a lot different than Western Sydney. Gold Coast is full of dickhead tourists, lots of night spots etc. No wonder young men can turn feral.

Plus their million dollar QLD hero marquee player was allegedly providing cocaine to people around him so the media report.

Mantis
04-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Which part of the GC?

I go up to the GC quite a bit and only see Surfers as being a bit sleazy.. There are some great spots for a night out in other parts.

Sedat
04-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Which part of the GC?

I go up to the GC quite a bit and only see Surfers as being a bit sleazy.. There are some great spots for a night out in other parts.
Yep, I've stayed in Burleigh Heads a few times there and it is fantastic.

Remi Moses
05-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Same here . Outside of surfers paradise it's pretty decent .
No excuses for such feral moron behaviour, and clearly ability is all the recruiting officer looked at