PDA

View Full Version : McLean's next & more to follow

Webby
01-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Don't know if this week's the right timing - with Crameri and Stringer to come back into a winning team, but thought it worth pointing out that Toby McLean is flying at the moment. He's been outstanding the past two weeks.

He's virtually beaten the door down.

Incredible crop of recruits this year. Declan Hamilton is also a monty to debut this year, as is Caleb Daniel. Zaine Cordy has already shown enough and will debut later in the year once his thumb heals and Hamling was very good on Saturday. Jury's out on Biggs. He was shaky against Melbourne, but was quite good on Saturday. I'm hoping he'll grow into his role in the coming weeks.

Add Webb and Dale to the mix - along with Boyd - and Oct-Nov 2014 is potentially the greatest recruitment block in the club's history. (And think about our press during that period!)

I think back to where we were three years ago and realise how far we've come. Bring on the next five years! Surely a few uncontracted free agents would be looking at our club as a very, very good place to work over the coming years?!

I won't name names, but there's one KPP out there that the club is very keen on landing in October..

Go_Dogs
01-06-2015, 09:57 PM
It's looking really good at the moment, isn't it?

Guys who can play football, with good skills and the ability to hit the scoreboard.

comrade
01-06-2015, 09:57 PM
I won't name names, but there's one KPP out there that the club is very keen on landing in October..

Shaun Hampson?

;)

I love McLean. Can kick off both feet, is obviously elite in the air for his size and has enough pace. Everything you want in a small/medium forward.

He'll fit into Bevo's game plan perfectly, as I think he'll eventually develop into the type that will be able to move up the field and play midfield minutes. Versatility and the ability to fit into different areas of our team defensive structure seems to be the direction we're taking.

Declan Hamilton is another that fits the bill. Like him a lot, too.

I feel like we should all be getting along to Footscray games and get in at the ground level before the rest of the footy world wakes up.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Shaun Hampson?

How the hell did Carlton trade him high enough to then on trade Docherty??? Still can't work out why...

comrade
01-06-2015, 10:02 PM
How the hell did Carlton trade him high enough to then on trade Docherty??? Still can't work out why...

A Carlton list management masterstroke. Their only one for the past 10+ years.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2015, 10:04 PM

True, but that's as bad as a blunder from Richmond as any recently.

Bulldog Joe
01-06-2015, 10:12 PM

Getting the better of Richmond would surely eliminate any idea of a masterstroke.

Akin to trading footy cards at kindergarten.

Webby
01-06-2015, 10:16 PM
J

I feel like we should all be getting along to Footscray games and get in at the ground level before the rest of the footy world wakes up.

Well, with an interstate game on Saturday and nothing to do on Sunday, a local derby against Williamstown at 2pm Sunday afternoon would be a good place to start!

I'd encourage all Woofers to make a concerted effort to phone a couple of mates and see if they can get down to WO for some footy. With Crameri and Stringer back from injury, we're sure to have a decent crop of quality kids to watch. It might be your last chance to see Hamilton and McLean at VFL level!

GVGjr
01-06-2015, 10:46 PM

I think you are underestimating how badly Richmond was hurt losing Pia Miller. Megan was seen as a good replacement.

GVGjr
01-06-2015, 10:47 PM

I agree, I think many are missing out seeing how good our Footscray side is.

comrade
01-06-2015, 10:50 PM
I agree, I think many are missing out seeing how good our Footscray side is.

How good am I?

Just convinced the better half to come with me and our young fella to WO on Sunday. Of course, I had to throw in a trip to the aquarium beforehand as a sweetener but she'll chase him around all afternoon while I watch us tear the Seagulls to shreds.

Winning...

LostDoggy
01-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Toby was up in the Platinum Club on Saturday with Jack Redpath for the Pre Game interview , relaxed easy going fella , he was named BOG for Footscray on Sunday and will possibly make the trip over to Adelaide as swap with Baily Dale , next time you see him ask him about the Raspberry Slurpees

Webby
01-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Yeah i saw him up there. What got me from that was how natural Redpath is with the mike. My mate commented that there's not much of McLean. I said, yes he's about the same size as Tutt. Difference being this one can play!

stefoid
02-06-2015, 12:02 AM
I think the angst about weight/size of our draftees this year will dissipate. All those boys looked like they could play - good smart footballers.

Im hanging out to see Daniel get a game too.

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 12:08 AM
I second Webby's urging to drag as many mates along to the Whitten Oval on Sunday to see the latest instalment of what has been a tradional local derby going back over 140 years now albeit with a fair break in the continuity. Nobody will be disappointed. To a man or woman they will think you are a legend for coming up with such a great idea.

Sedat
02-06-2015, 12:21 AM
True, but that's as bad as a blunder from Richmond as any recently.
They needed to bring in Megan Gale once Pia Miller retired ;)

Ozza
02-06-2015, 04:55 PM
In the limited amount I've seen of McLean - he has some attributes that remind me of the kind of player Jamie Elliott of Collingwood is. Punches above his weight in over head marking, good leap and burst speed. Nice skills both sides of the body.

Hopefully he can go somewhere near Elliott for impact on games one day!!

Mantis
02-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Hopefully he can go somewhere near Elliott for impact on games one day!!

But stay away from the 'Tough Boy, Sticker Shop'... Unlike Jamie.

Cyberdoggie
02-06-2015, 06:01 PM
North Ballarat and Frankston are literally the two worst sides in the comp this year.

Let's see how he goes against the seagulls. Might be a reality check for some of the younger guys because they have been doing it easy recently.

Don't forget they lost to Collingwood earlier in the year.

I like McLean and Hamilton but I think they are a bit further away than the others. Physically they are very slight and have had their best games against the weaker teams. Indicating the lack of pressure gives them more confidence to play to their best. I don't think they competitive beasts or tackling machines up forward just yet and they may have to wait a bit longer.
If they show something this week then I will change my view. :)

jeemak
02-06-2015, 09:12 PM
I think you are underestimating how badly Richmond was hurt losing Pia Miller. Megan was seen as a good replacement.

I saw Mrs Miller in civilian attire at my local supermarket on a Saturday afternoon/evening recently. Some people pull off supermarket daggy better than others.

comrade
02-06-2015, 09:21 PM
North Ballarat and Frankston are literally the two worst sides in the comp this year.

Let's see how he goes against the seagulls. Might be a reality check for some of the younger guys because they have been doing it easy recently.

Don't forget they lost to Collingwood earlier in the year.

I like McLean and Hamilton but I think they are a bit further away than the others. Physically they are very slight and have had their best games against the weaker teams. Indicating the lack of pressure gives them more confidence to play to their best. I don't think they competitive beasts or tackling machines up forward just yet and they may have to wait a bit longer.
If they show something this week then I will change my view. :)

Fair point.

Look forward to see how they go this week. Another big game from McLean would almost demand a promotion after the bye.